Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell vs. Yale 02/13/2015

Posted by dbilmes 
Cornell vs. Yale 02/13/2015
Posted by: dbilmes (32.218.125.---)
Date: February 11, 2016 05:16PM

Yale expected to only have 16 healthy skaters for this weekend's games. Since we're playing them on the second night of back-to-back games, hopefully fatigue will be a factor for their top players as the game wears on.

Re: Cornell vs. Yale 02/13/2015
Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 11, 2016 05:48PM

dbilmes
Yale expected to only have 16 healthy skaters for this weekend's games. Since we're playing them on the second night of back-to-back games, hopefully fatigue will be a factor for their top players as the game wears on.

Let's not get too overconfident:

Chip Malafronte, New Haven Register
Yale, which also used 17 skaters against Dartmouth last Friday, combined to score seven goals, most in a single weekend since tallying nine at the season-opening Capital City Classic ....

“It’s tough to play three lines, but at the same time, it’s good,” said junior forward Mike Doherty. “You’re out there every other shift; you get in a good rhythm. I personally like it. I’ve talked to a couple of guys about it, and they like keeping things short, too.”
Yale, with just one loss since Dec. 5, long ago hit its stride. Confidence remains high with a short bench ...

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2016 07:46PM

This happened a few years ago with, I think, Q. They killed us.

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 13, 2016 08:08AM

Just my two cents.....

LGR!!

cheer
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2016 08:56AM by Johnny 5.

Posted by: Ken711 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 13, 2016 08:24PM

Not looking good down 3-1 in 3rd.

Date: February 13, 2016 08:36PM

Ken711
Not looking good down 3-1 in 3rd.
Building their overconfidence...

Date: February 14, 2016 07:22AM

Ah well, that was just an ass-kicking. :-/

A bye is all but out of reach now, and we appear destined for a QF road loss. Sad fate for a season that began with so much promise.

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 14, 2016 07:36AM

This game had the same appearance as the Dartmouth game; they looked tired. Being a Friday night game, I'm certain they weren't tired. So, what is it? I'm thinking the right word is "dis-spirited". This team played with a fire in their belly earlier (in the season) that is just not there any longer. Could it be that the pressure (by Mike) to play his system & do every single right thing at every single right moment in the game, has taken the fun out of the game for these guys? It surely looks that way!!!

Watching Yale play, they were having fun and not standing back worrying about making the right play. Allain is allowing them to use their athletic abilities to create plays. What a concept!!

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 14, 2016 08:19AM

"Screwed, glued and tattooed by a rude dude in the nude." ~S.Hawking

bang

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 14, 2016 08:51AM

only 4 pts only out of 4th is not really out of reach. if we win all 4 its pretty simple to tie for 4th without any upsets at all being required. tie breakers i dont know.

us winning 4 in a row though..

Posted by: Towerroad (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 14, 2016 10:01AM

redice

Watching Yale play, they were having fun and not standing back worrying about making the right play. Allain is allowing them to use their athletic abilities to create plays. What a concept!!

That will never work

Date: February 14, 2016 12:37PM

Johnny 5
"Screwed, glued and tattooed by a rude dude in the nude." ~S.Hawking

bang

Andy sits behind me at the men's hockey games.... His mouth never shuts up, even during the playing of the national anthem (very disrespectful, Andy!!). That type type of constant chatter is usually indicative of someone who is not a deep thinker.....

Date: February 14, 2016 09:01PM

In contrast, I used to sit in front of Laing Kennedy, who said very little, and what he did say was usually fascinating and well thought out.

Clearly we need more hockey people has ADs.

Posted by: css228 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 14, 2016 09:15PM

Trotsky

A bye is all but out of reach now, and we appear destined for a QF road loss. Sad fate for a season that began with so much promise.
Eh we were never as good as we looked at the beginning of the season, and we're not as bad as we look now, although the true talent is surely closer to this end of the spectrum. If this season is the one that gets us a fresh start in the coaching department, the collapse will be well worth it.

Posted by: BearLover (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 15, 2016 01:03AM

css228
Trotsky

Eh we were never as good as we looked at the beginning of the season, and we're not as bad as we look now, although the true talent is surely closer to this end of the spectrum. If this season is the one that gets us a fresh start in the coaching department, the collapse will be well worth it.
If we lost our next 20 I doubt Noel would fire Schafer.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 15, 2016 02:12AM

redice
This game had the same appearance as the Dartmouth game; they looked tired. Being a Friday night game, I'm certain they weren't tired.

Ummm...the Yale game was Saturday night. We played Brown on Friday night.

I felt like the Yale game was closer than the score and the shots on goal indicated. The second Yale goal was pretty soft, and a shot that I expect Gillam stops nine times out of ten. The third Yale goal came with about a minute left in the five minute major that should have at most been a two-minute minor, and, based on what I heard immediately after the game from someone who watched the replay in the press box, probably shouldn't have been a penalty at all.

Brown's third goal came off a crazy rebound off the glass that wound up right in the slot.

A few things go differently, and this would have been a three-point weekend instead of a one-point weekend.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 15, 2016 04:30AM

andyw2100
redice
This game had the same appearance as the Dartmouth game; they looked tired. Being a Friday night game, I'm certain they weren't tired.

I felt like the Yale game was closer than the score and the shots on goal indicated. The second Yale goal was pretty soft, and a shot that I expect Gillam stops nine times out of ten. The third Yale goal came with about a minute left in the five minute major that should have at most been a two-minute minor, and, based on what I heard immediately after the game from someone who watched the replay in the press box, probably shouldn't have been a penalty at all.

That was the feeling of Jason and Tony after they saw the replay.

Brown's third goal came off a crazy rebound off the glass that wound up right in the slot.

A few things go differently, and this would have been a three-point weekend instead of a one-point weekend.

But if Brown hadn't been up a goal it may have ended in a tie as well.

This was a very disappointing weekend. We'll see what the team can do in these final four regular season games but the offense that has been absent for long stretches of 2016 causes much agita. It causes old men to lose sleep and spend early mornings posting the obvious when they should be sleeping.

Date: February 15, 2016 05:34AM

andyw2100
redice

Actually, I was thinking of the Brown game... And, since you have a flare for the obvious, yes, I know this would be the wrong thread.... OOPS!!

andyw2100

I felt it strange that you would say it was "closer than the score". When I called home (after the game), my first words were: "the score was 4-2 and it wasn't even that close!" After Yale got that first goal, I don't think CU had a chance of winning. Yale was far & away the better team on Saturday. Speed kills!!!

Date: February 15, 2016 10:25AM

redice
I felt it strange that you would say it was "closer than the score". When I called home (after the game), my first words were: "the score was 4-2 and it wasn't even that close!" After Yale got that first goal, I don't think CU had a chance of winning. Yale was far & away the better team on Saturday. Speed kills!!![/quote

There's no question that Yale was the better team on Saturday. My point was that with a better call on that penalty, and a couple of things going differently, we might have stolen a tie. I agree we were outplayed.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 15, 2016 11:12AM

andyw2100
redice
I felt it strange that you would say it was "closer than the score". When I called home (after the game), my first words were: "the score was 4-2 and it wasn't even that close!" After Yale got that first goal, I don't think CU had a chance of winning. Yale was far & away the better team on Saturday. Speed kills!!![/quote

There's no question that Yale was the better team on Saturday. My point was that with a better call on that penalty, and a couple of things going differently, we might have stolen a tie. I agree we were outplayed.

We "stole" a win vs Providence and a tie vs. QPuke. This team has had some great periods and OTs. Can they play over their heads for 60 or 65 minutes? I don't see it this year, but what I have seen still gives me hope that this is a young team making the mistakes that can be overcome. If next year is more of the same then I will have a much different outlook.

Date: February 15, 2016 11:19AM

It's worth noting that we have been outshot, often badly, in the majority of games this season. And aside from the RPI game, I cannot recall an instance in which we dominated the other team. It seems that the shots are either close versus the ECAC bottomfeeders or we we outshot by 10 or more. I'm not sure how many times we can say "the game was closer than the score/shot disparity" before it becomes clear that this team isn't good. I wouldn't be surprised if last year's team beat this year's head-to-head. Anyway, barring a miracle run, this season is in the books and next year should hopefully be better, with top ECAC teams losing some big names (Garteig, St. Denis, Vesey) and us not losing very much.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2016 01:20PM by BearLover.

Posted by: fireschafer (---.usc.edu)
Date: February 17, 2016 03:46PM

Schafer on the Tschantz hit:

[cornellsun.com]

Very unprofessional of Schafer (and awful for team morale) to call out a single player like that. And blame him solely for the fact Schafer hasn't won a game in over month (counting his time off the ice the past two weeks as not head coach). As you can tell by my name I am biased, but even objectively this behavior by a coach should not be tolerated. Keep this stuff in the locker room.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 17, 2016 05:14PM

fireschafer
Schafer on the Tschantz hit:

[cornellsun.com]

Very unprofessional of Schafer (and awful for team morale) to call out a single player like that. And blame him solely for the fact Schafer hasn't won a game in over month (counting his time off the ice the past two weeks as not head coach). As you can tell by my name I am biased, but even objectively this behavior by a coach should not be tolerated. Keep this stuff in the locker room.

I don't think that this is unusual. I've heard, and read about, many coaches talk about someone taking a bad penalty. And by no means did he blame him for why the team "hasn't won a game in over a month". I don't know where you got that from.

Date: February 17, 2016 06:38PM

Never as good as you look when you win, blah blah blah...

Just get hot at the right time.

Posted by: dbilmes (32.218.122.---)
Date: February 18, 2016 06:07AM

Trotsky
Never as good as you look when you win, blah blah blah...

Just get hot at the right time.
That was quite a game we played against Clarkson that year in Potsdam!

Posted by: sah67 (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: February 18, 2016 10:07AM

fireschafer

Very unprofessional of Schafer (and awful for team morale) to call out a single player like that.

Yeah, very unprofessional...except when it happens on a regular basis in "professional" hockey:
[sports.yahoo.com]

Posted by: steveb (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2016 02:10PM

I don't think fireschafer meant that stuff like this doesn't happen in the pro ranks..and, I agree with his original post. Any coach remotely interested in maintaining team morale would have said something like "we took a really stupid penalty in the first period", rather than single one player out. I'm sure we'll hear soon how unruly and unmanageable this years's senior class is becoming, as well...

Date: February 18, 2016 02:52PM

Yep. Schafer singling out specific players in the SCHOOL NEWSPAPER is wildly inappropriate. Throwing his players under the bus--as he did repeatedly with last year's seniors--to deflect from his own systemic inability to field a winning team is reprehensible.

Posted by: underskill (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 18, 2016 02:53PM

and here comes the Fire Schafer trolling part of the season from people who've never played hockey.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: February 18, 2016 04:21PM

Coaches try to reach players in different ways. We're not in the locker room so we have no idea what the full context is. I am not saying Schafer is right. I am saying we don't know.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: February 18, 2016 04:25PM

underskill
and here comes the Fire Schafer trolling part of the season from people who've never played hockey.
It's a little easier to take, though, when the team goes on a 1-6-3 run directly following an 11-2-2 start and a victory over the national #1 and defending champion.

Dartmouth and Harvard beat us with ease at Lynah. Let's see what we learned. If the team (and coaches) can break down the first matchup and materially improve performance in the next game, I'll feel pretty good going into best-of-three playoffs. If not, well, Mets pitchers and catchers reported today.

Posted by: dbilmes (32.218.122.---)
Date: February 18, 2016 05:10PM

BearLover
Yep. Schafer singling out specific players in the SCHOOL NEWSPAPER is wildly inappropriate.
I'm not defending Schafer's actions, but while I don't know the details of where the Sun reporter got the quote, my guess is that Schafer made the remarks at his post-game press conference Saturday which not only included the Sun, but also The Ithaca Journal, local radio stations, etc. I would be surprised if Schafer made these remarks in a 1-on-1 interview with the Sun reporter. Granted, I'm sure Schafer was aware there was a Sun reporter present when he was being interviewed after Saturday's game.

Posted by: BearLover (---.wrls.harvard.edu)
Date: February 18, 2016 05:56PM

dbilmes
BearLover
Yep. Schafer singling out specific players in the SCHOOL NEWSPAPER is wildly inappropriate.
I'm not defending Schafer's actions, but while I don't know the details of where the Sun reporter got the quote, my guess is that Schafer made the remarks at his post-game press conference Saturday which not only included the Sun, but also The Ithaca Journal, local radio stations, etc. I would be surprised if Schafer made these remarks in a 1-on-1 interview with the Sun reporter. Granted, I'm sure Schafer was aware there was a Sun reporter present when he was being interviewed after Saturday's game.
Very fair point.

Posted by: RichH (134.223.116.---)
Date: February 18, 2016 05:59PM

dbilmes
BearLover

I wonder if there's a place we could find that. I found his comments about the major penalty interesting.

This coach has called out players before, and it happens with many other coaches. I'm sure these adults can handle a coach criticizing a bad play in a post-game press conference. If that's what it takes to deliver a message, fine. I'm willing to bet that whatever was said in the locker room or punishment doled out at practice was more harsh.

Posted by: RichH (134.223.116.---)
Date: February 18, 2016 06:20PM

Trotsky
underskill
It's a little easier to take, though, when the team goes on a 1-6-3 run directly following an 11-2-2 start and a victory over the national #1 and defending champion.

Another ECAC team started 8-3-2 before falling into a 3-8-0 run, and SLU has pulled out of it: [www.collegehockeynews.com]

A third ECAC team is hitting a rough patch as well. Harvard has a losing record vs. teams above .500. That's something I didn't know. [www.thecrimson.com]

Most teams will go through rough stretches in a season. Last year, CU didn't pull out of it. I'm interested to see if this team has it in them to get it together for the playoffs this season. Maybe they should go play paintball again and reassert what great pals they all are, because that team from the first half was more fun to watch.

Also, a quote from that article in The Crimson:

Every time these two teams square off in Cambridge, Big Red Nation travels in numbers, as there’s no way an eastward drive of 300-plus miles can prevent Ithacans from missing out on an edition of one of college hockey’s greatest rivalries.

Friday should be no different. In fact, at least a third of the Bright Center is bound to be a sea of red prior to puck drop. Nonetheless, the hosts might actually feel like hosts this time around. Thanks to rising fan support, attendance at the Bright has risen by over 16 percent this year; and with something actually at stake on Friday, there’s a legitimate chance this game could be sold out by the time this paper hits the stands.

Hahaha, "a third." Do the Lampoon writers also write for The Crimson? And it's not "Big Red Nation," It's "The LynahEast Faithful," thankyouverymuch.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2016 06:23PM by RichH.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: February 18, 2016 06:42PM

RichH

Friday should be no different. In fact, at least a third of the Bright Center is bound to be a sea of red prior to puck drop. Nonetheless, the hosts might actually feel like hosts this time around. Thanks to rising fan support, attendance at the Bright has risen by over 16 percent this year; and with something actually at stake on Friday, there’s a legitimate chance this game could be sold out by the time this paper hits the stands.

Hahaha, "a third." Do the Lampoon writers also write for The Crimson? And it's not "Big Red Nation," It's "The LynahEast Faithful," thankyouverymuch.

And also, an increase of over 16 percent above their average attendance of 23 people is still only 27 people.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: February 18, 2016 09:56PM

underskill
Not sure what playing hockey has to do with one's ability to read statistics, which point to Cornell as a mediocre team for quite a few seasons now. Moreover, I don't care how good a coach Schafer is--I still don't advocate firing him, even now--that doesn't absolve him of calling out individual players time and time again when his teams stink.

Date: February 19, 2016 12:15AM

sah67
fireschafer

Very unprofessional of Schafer (and awful for team morale) to call out a single player like that.

Yeah, very unprofessional...except when it happens on a regular basis in "professional" hockey:
[sports.yahoo.com]

Surprised no one has mentioned this yet. In the video above, the goal was scored on Scrivens.

Date: February 19, 2016 02:05PM

watching the high stick call in slow mo. how often do you see the guy get called for high stick when his stick is actually lower and hits below the waist and the other player hits him in the chest? the ref with the good view calls nothing and the one behind the play with multiple bodies in the way calls a major and yet the play continues on. cornell gets a shot and then the whistle blows?

as coach says there really wasnt eveny stick contact but clearly the Yale guys hits the cornell player in the chest and falls down from the contact..

interference I guess but not a 5 min major.

Date: February 19, 2016 04:17PM

upprdeck
watching the high stick call in slow mo. how often do you see the guy get called for high stick when his stick is actually lower and hits below the waist and the other player hits him in the chest? the ref with the good view calls nothing and the one behind the play with multiple bodies in the way calls a major and yet the play continues on. cornell gets a shot and then the whistle blows?

as coach says there really wasnt eveny stick contact but clearly the Yale guys hits the cornell player in the chest and falls down from the contact..

interference I guess but not a 5 min major.

Where did you find this? I searched a bit for it and came up empty. (I didn't try ILDN.)

Thanks!

Date: February 19, 2016 05:21PM

i was watching on ildn today to see if it differed on what i saw live and i didnt. you can also see that cornell had the puck for 5-7 secs and everyone assumes its a yale penalty.

Date: February 19, 2016 05:30PM

upprdeck
i was watching on ildn today to see if it differed on what i saw live and i didnt. you can also see that cornell had the puck for 5-7 secs and everyone assumes its a yale penalty.

Where did you find it on ILDN? I checked there after posting, and again just now, and can't seem to find it.

It's not part of the highlights, which I already knew, and ILDN does not yet seem to have that game archived in the "On Demand" section. Clearly I am looking in the wrong places, so a pointer would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Date: February 19, 2016 08:44PM

it was in the on demand it just was not easy to find it with the horrible search tool they built..

is it just me or does that web site really stink?

even the drop down for sports is dumb, why not have the sports that are in session go to the top of the list.

and is it so slow to be almost useless most of the time?

you have to choose schedule, then choose yale as the Opp, then change the date to last week. the search tool does not find the game.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login