Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Bracketology Begins

Posted by Jim Hyla 
Bracketology Begins
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 06, 2016 07:29AM

Sort of, that is. USCHO shows us going to Albany, with Harvard, Minnesota State, and Penn State. That would be fun, which is all that this discussion means at this time of year.

Re: Bracketology Begins
Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.cws.sco.cisco.com)
Date: January 06, 2016 12:01PM

Five ECAC teams! The fix is in.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 06, 2016 01:12PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Five ECAC teams! The fix is in.
Not in all regions, though. They're afraid of an all-ECAC Frozen Four. Western bias.

Posted by: KGR11 (207.34.120.---)
Date: January 06, 2016 01:26PM

According to the blog, given our pairwise ranking and based on historical results, we have a 75% chance of making the tournament. I wouldn't believe this on the first day of the season.

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.ipyx-102276-zyo.zip.zayo.com)
Date: January 06, 2016 04:33PM

KGR11
According to the blog, given our pairwise ranking and based on historical results, we have a 75% chance of making the tournament. I wouldn't believe this on the first day of the season.
Not sure I believe it now. I'm treating this season as refreshing but staying keeping my expectations low.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: January 06, 2016 08:25PM

ugarte
KGR11
Not sure I believe it now. I'm treating this season as refreshing but staying keeping my expectations low.
The data says that a team ranked 5-8 on Jan 1 has made the tournament 75% of the time. That's not quite the same as saying that any given team has that probability.

What are our chances? On the one hand most everyone here still thinks we're playing a bit oer our heads still. So some regression might be expected. On the other hand, the strong ECAC means we're probably assured a pretty strong SoS, which provides a solid basis for a high ranking. (It could also provide more reason for regression, but whatever).

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 06, 2016 08:39PM

if we go to albany does the Ghost of PC Drouin and a cross bar finally go away... or perhaps the goal that was overturned earlier in the game that would count now if the replay video was actually working.

replay really owes is a big one someday.. thanks NH..

Date: January 06, 2016 09:17PM

upprdeck
if we go to albany does the Ghost of PC Drouin and a cross bar finally go away... or perhaps the goal that was overturned earlier in the game that would count now if the replay video was actually working.

We'll get payback the day we score on a penalty shot.

Posted by: LaJollaRed (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 06, 2016 09:47PM

KeithK
upprdeck

Now I'm wondering...When's the last time we scored a penalty shot? I have no memory of this.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 06, 2016 09:47PM

KeithK
upprdeck

That's gonna happen in an NCAA final. It is fate.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2016 09:48PM by Trotsky.

Date: January 06, 2016 09:48PM

LaJollaRed
KeithK
upprdeck

Now I'm wondering...When's the last time we scored a penalty shot? I have no memory of this.

2/27/1987. We've missed 10 since then. Our opponents have scored 7.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2016 09:49PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: KeithK (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 07, 2016 12:22AM

Trotsky
KeithK
upprdeck

In overtime.

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.ipyx-102276-zyo.zip.zayo.com)
Date: January 07, 2016 03:14PM

KeithK
Trotsky
KeithK
upprdeck

In overtime.
I feel bad for the Cornell player who will be killed on a breakaway in order to get a penalty shot called in OT of the NCAA final.

Date: January 07, 2016 05:26PM

ugarte
KeithK
Trotsky
KeithK
upprdeck

In overtime.
I feel bad for the Cornell player who will be killed on a breakaway in order to get a penalty shot called in OT of the NCAA final.
if a player is killed like that can a substitute take the penalty shot? Must it be someone who is on the ice at the time?

No worries, we'll name the locker room or something in his honor. It'll be worth it.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: January 07, 2016 07:05PM

Trotsky
LaJollaRed
KeithK
upprdeck

Joe Nieuwendyk was in attendance for one of the three attempts in the '07 season. I want to say the last one, since my friends and I were aware that it had been about 20 years. We were convinced the streak would end there.

It didn't.

Date: January 07, 2016 08:09PM

Dafatone
Trotsky
LaJollaRed
KeithK
upprdeck

Joe Nieuwendyk was in attendance for one of the three attempts in the '07 season. I want to say the last one, since my friends and I were aware that it had been about 20 years. We were convinced the streak would end there.

It didn't.

I want Gillam to break it.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2016 08:10PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Swampy (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 07, 2016 08:13PM

KeithK
ugarte
KeithK
Trotsky
KeithK
upprdeck

In overtime.
if a player is killed like that can a substitute take the penalty shot? Must it be someone who is on the ice at the time?

No worries, we'll name the locker room or something in his honor. It'll be worth it.

A Zamboni?

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 07, 2016 08:29PM

Swampy
KeithK
ugarte
KeithK
Trotsky
KeithK
upprdeck

In overtime.

A Zamboni?

An Olympia!

Date: January 07, 2016 08:39PM

Trotsky
Dafatone
Trotsky
LaJollaRed
KeithK
upprdeck

It didn't.

My brain hurts trying to think of a scenario where that could happen.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 08, 2016 12:24AM

Dafatone
Trotsky
Dafatone
Trotsky
LaJollaRed
KeithK
upprdeck

It didn't.

My brain hurts trying to think of a scenario where that could happen.

He was talking about Mitch Gillam's yet unborn grandson, a forward on the 2065-2066 team.

Posted by: nshapiro (192.148.195.---)
Date: January 08, 2016 09:46AM

Winter Break is obviously too long.

Date: January 13, 2016 05:47PM

It starts for real.

His results are:
This week’s brackets

East Regional (Albany):
14 Denver vs. 4 Harvard
10 Boston College vs. 5 Cornell

Northeast Regional (Worcester):
16 Holy Cross vs. 1 Quinnipiac
12 Yale vs. 8 Boston University

Midwest Regional (Cincinnati):
13 Massachusetts-Lowell vs. 3 St. Cloud State
9 Michigan vs. 6 Providence

West Regional (St. Paul):
15 Minnesota State vs. 2 North Dakota
11 Notre Dame vs. 7 Nebraska-Omaha
Conference breakdowns

Hockey East — 5
ECAC Hockey — 4
NCHC — 4
WCHA — 1
Big Ten — 1
Atlantic Hockey — 1

Read more: [www.uscho.com]
Any complaints?

Posted by: Robb (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 13, 2016 07:35PM

Jim Hyla
It starts for real.

His results are:
This week’s brackets

East Regional (Albany):
14 Denver vs. 4 Harvard

Conference breakdowns

Hockey East — 5
ECAC Hockey — 4
NCHC — 4
WCHA — 1
Big Ten — 1
Atlantic Hockey — 1

Any complaints?
Why not swap BC and Notre Dame? #5 Cornell + #11 Notre Dame = 16 and #7 UNO + #10 BC = 17. Much closer to the ideal "17 point" matchups than the 15 and 18 that they have set up now. Plus I just don't want to play BC in an Eastern Regional. Yes, I know 2003, but...

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.129.41.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: January 13, 2016 09:12PM

Robb
Jim Hyla
It starts for real.

His results are:
This week’s brackets

East Regional (Albany):
14 Denver vs. 4 Harvard

Conference breakdowns

Hockey East — 5
ECAC Hockey — 4
NCHC — 4
WCHA — 1
Big Ten — 1
Atlantic Hockey — 1

Any complaints?
Why not swap BC and Notre Dame? #5 Cornell + #11 Notre Dame = 16 and #7 UNO + #10 BC = 17. Much closer to the ideal "17 point" matchups than the 15 and 18 that they have set up now. Plus I just don't want to play BC in an Eastern Regional. Yes, I know 2003, but...

I agree. A straight swap of Notre Dame and Yale would better preserve "Bracket Integrity." Looks like this was picked to minimize travel and boost attendance.

Date: January 14, 2016 07:04AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Robb
Jim Hyla
It starts for real.

His results are:
This week’s brackets

East Regional (Albany):
14 Denver vs. 4 Harvard

Conference breakdowns

Hockey East — 5
ECAC Hockey — 4
NCHC — 4
WCHA — 1
Big Ten — 1
Atlantic Hockey — 1

Any complaints?

I agree. A straight swap of Notre Dame and Yale would better preserve "Bracket Integrity." Looks like this was picked to minimize travel and boost attendance.

That's exactly what he said:

We now take geography into account, and thus, Boston College goes to Albany and Notre Dame to St. Paul.

Date: January 14, 2016 10:24AM

With Minnesota State and UND, the attendance "help" from Notre Dame would be unnoticeable. Albany would undoubtedly benefit from BC, though. Based on recent trends, though, that benefit is on the order of hundreds, not thousand. Not enough different to justify mixing up the serpent in my mind, despite the committee's philosophy that "all 3 seeds are created equal."

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: January 14, 2016 10:27AM

Robb
With Minnesota State and UND, the attendance "help" from Notre Dame would be unnoticeable. Albany would undoubtedly benefit from BC, though. Based on recent trends, though, that benefit is on the order of hundreds, not thousand. Not enough different to justify mixing up the serpent in my mind, despite the committee's philosophy that "all 3 seeds are created equal."

Luckily, we almost certainly won't have to worry about this specific set and order of sixteen teams.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2016 12:35PM

Beeeej
Robb

Luckily, we almost certainly won't have to worry about this specific set and order of sixteen teams.
I'll be happy if we get to worry about any set of seedings.

Date: January 14, 2016 12:57PM

Al DeFlorio
Beeeej
Robb

If this were October, I'd agree with you. If we fall out of the tournament at this point....barfbarfbarfbarfbarf

Posted by: RichH (134.223.230.---)
Date: January 14, 2016 01:51PM

Robb
Al DeFlorio
Beeeej
Robb

If this were October, I'd agree with you. If we fall out of the tournament at this point....barfbarfbarfbarfbarf

We still have more than 50% of of the season to go, including league playoffs. And this has proven to be a strong league. I'm not counting on an at-large bid at this point.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2016 02:31PM

RichH
Robb
Al DeFlorio
Beeeej
Robb

We still have more than 50% of of the season to go, including league playoffs. And this has proven to be a strong league. I'm not counting on an at-large bid at this point.
Right. Six of next eight on the road and the two at home are Harvard and old nemesis Dartmouth. Long way to go.

Posted by: jkahn (---.whitingcorp.com)
Date: January 14, 2016 05:53PM

RichH
Robb
Al DeFlorio

I'm with Al and would be very happy if we play well enough to make the tournament. #5 at this point last year, Bowling Green, did not make it, and they had played 20 games at this point, compared with our 15, so they had a higher percentage of their season already in the bank compared to us.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2016 11:10PM

jkahn
RichH
Robb
Al DeFlorio

I'm with Al and would be very happy if we play well enough to make the tournament. #5 at this point last year, Bowling Green, did not make it, and they had played 20 games at this point, compared with our 15, so they had a higher percentage of their season already in the bank compared to us.

As always, all I want is a home-ice ECAC quarterfinal. Everything else takes care of itself.

Date: January 21, 2016 07:10AM

This week’s brackets

East Regional (Albany):
14 Penn State vs. 4 Providence
9 Boston College vs 8 Cornell

12 Boston University vs. 6 Harvard

13 Massachusetts-Lowell vs. 3 North Dakota
10 Notre Dame vs. 7 Michigan

15 Minnesota State vs. 2 St. Cloud State
11 Yale vs. 5 Omaha
Conference breakdowns

Hockey East — 5
ECAC Hockey — 4
NCHC — 3
Big Ten — 2
WCHA — 1

I like the switches he made.

Date: January 28, 2016 07:42AM

And we're on the outside looking in, even though we're 14th.

This week’s brackets

East Regional (Albany):
13 Denver vs. 4 Providence
12 Massachusetts-Lowell vs. 5 Harvard

16 Robert Morris vs. 1 Quinnipiac
10 Yale vs. 7 Boston College

15 Minnesota State vs. 3 North Dakota
11 Boston University vs. 6 Michigan

14 Minnesota vs. 2 St. Cloud State
9 Omaha vs 8 Notre Dame

Conference breakdowns

Hockey East — 5
NCHC — 4
ECAC Hockey — 3
Big Ten — 2
WCHA — 1
Atlantic Hockey — 1
On the move

In: Denver, Minnesota

Out: Cornell, Penn State

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 28, 2016 02:09PM

Jim Hyla

Luckily it's still January.

I know the college hockey community will discuss anything in excruciating detail, but I just don't understand the interest in USCHO starting a bracketology column in early January. (This is not a criticism of this thread, but merely a comment on the ridiculousness of the column itself.)

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 28, 2016 06:19PM

andyw2100
Jim Hyla

I know the college hockey community will discuss anything in excruciating detail, but I just don't understand the interest in USCHO starting a bracketology column in early January. (This is not a criticism of this thread, but merely a comment on the ridiculousness of the column itself.)

Because it's fun? And if people really read the column, they'll hopefully get a better understanding of the presumed process. The more times it's out there, the more likely people will read through the process?

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2016 12:32PM

andyw2100
Jim Hyla

Same reasons the US has polling/debates/24-hr blather 15 months before a general election. Ratings, page clicks, ad sales. Fans love talking polls, demand PWR in October, and this is the next logical step.

Date: January 29, 2016 09:17PM

call we call this a jinx yet.. every since it came out and said almost no team doesnt get in when they are that high in PWR we havent won a game

Date: February 04, 2016 07:25AM

RPI, Dartmouth and Cornell all knocked out because of conference champions that are ranked below #16. Atlantic, WCHA and Big Ten.twak
This week’s brackets

East Regional (Albany):
13 Yale vs. 4 Michigan
12 Denver vs. 5 Boston College

9 Omaha vs 8 Boston University

14 Minnesota State vs. 3 North Dakota
10 Notre Dame vs. 6 Providence

15 Minnesota vs. 2 St. Cloud State
11 Massachusetts-Lowell vs. 7 Harvard
Conference breakdowns

Hockey East — 5
NCHC — 4
ECAC Hockey — 3
Big Ten — 2
WCHA — 1
Atlantic Hockey — 1
On the move

In: None

Out: None

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.IPYX-102276-ZYO.zip.zayo.com)
Date: February 04, 2016 10:42AM

Jim Hyla
... Cornell ... knocked out because of conference champions that are ranked below #16. Atlantic, WCHA and Big Ten they haven't won a game in a month.
FYP

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2016 12:01PM

ugarte
Jim Hyla
... Cornell ... knocked out because of conference champions that are ranked below #16. Atlantic, WCHA and Big Ten they haven't won a game in a month.
FYP

This

Date: February 04, 2016 02:00PM

We haven't won a conference game in 2 months.

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: February 04, 2016 10:15PM

Trotsky

We have only lost 3 conference games in the past 2 months!

Posted by: BearLover (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 04, 2016 11:39PM

Roy 82
Trotsky

5, I think?

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: February 05, 2016 12:22AM

BearLover
Roy 82
Trotsky

5, I think?

Whoops, I forgot (repressed) last weekend!

I put exclamation points at the end of every sentence!

Posted by: BearLover (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 05, 2016 10:16AM

Roy 82
BearLover
Roy 82
Trotsky

5, I think?

Nice!

Posted by: Roy 82 (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 06, 2016 02:00AM

BearLover
Roy 82
BearLover
Roy 82
Trotsky

5, I think?

Nice!

Thanks!

Date: February 10, 2016 04:40PM

This week’s brackets

East Regional (Albany):
14 Robert Morris vs. 4 Boston College
11 Harvard vs. 5 Providence

15 Minnesota State vs. 1 Quinnipiac
10 Yale vs 8 Boston University

12 Denver vs. 6 Michigan

16 Minnesota vs. 2 St. Cloud State
9 Omaha vs. 7 Notre Dame
Conference breakdowns

Hockey East — 5
NCHC — 4
ECAC Hockey — 3
Big Ten — 2
WCHA — 1
Atlantic Hockey — 1
On the move

Date: February 17, 2016 04:49PM

This week’s brackets

East Regional (Albany):
15 Minnesota State vs. 4 Boston College
12 Harvard vs. 5 Providence

10 Yale vs 8 Denver

11 Boston University vs. 6 Michigan

14 Minnesota vs. 2 St. Cloud State
9 Omaha vs. 7 Notre Dame
Conference breakdowns

Hockey East — 5
NCHC — 4
ECAC Hockey — 3
Big Ten — 2
WCHA — 1
Atlantic Hockey — 1
On the move

Date: February 24, 2016 07:30PM

Some interesting PWR stuff to happen this week..

Mass -lowell has 2 games with #3 BC

Neb Omaha which is 8-11 in their league yet #11 in PWR plays 2 with #4 North Dakota and then next week 2 at #8 Denver
getting them to drop would help our cause

need mich to run the table and knock PSU/Minn/OSU out

Date: February 24, 2016 07:47PM

upprdeck
Some interesting PWR stuff to happen this week..

Mass -lowell has 2 games with #3 BC

Neb Omaha which is 8-11 in their league yet #11 in PWR plays 2 with #4 North Dakota and then next week 2 at #8 Denver
getting them to drop would help our cause

need mich to run the table and knock PSU/Minn/OSU out

Huh. I guess those games worry me a little. I'm not sure losing to a top team would hurt the PWR of Mass Lowell or UNO, but a win or two would really help.

Posted by: jeff '84 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 24, 2016 09:23PM

Adam's early take on CHN:

[www.collegehockeynews.com]

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: February 25, 2016 10:37AM

if UNO stays in the top 16 with those losses and is 8-15 and 6th in their own league then using the PWR to decide who gets in is completely broken,

who did they beat to get such a lofty ranking OC?

vermont/air force/ohio state sub 20 teams.

Posted by: KeithK (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 25, 2016 10:55AM

upprdeck
if UNO stays in the top 16 with those losses and is 8-15 and 6th in their own league then using the PWR to decide who gets in is completely broken,

If this is evidence of a broken system it's only broken in that there are too many teams in the tournament. UNO still have a winning percentage north of .600 and there are only a few teams below them in PWR that have a higher pct, none of whom scream out "must get a bid".

Posted by: Swampy (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2016 10:59AM

upprdeck

Hard for us to make much of a case, at least in the court of public opinion, if they beat tOSU.

Maybe the best thing to come of this season will be for our YOUNG team to learn it has to show up EVERY night.

Date: February 25, 2016 12:24PM

KeithK
upprdeck

If this is evidence of a broken system it's only broken in that there are too many teams in the tournament. UNO still have a winning percentage north of .600 and there are only a few teams below them in PWR that have a higher pct, none of whom scream out "must get a bid".

A 16 team field is about 25% of D-1, which I think is easy to forget.

Date: February 25, 2016 03:42PM

Dafatone
KeithK
upprdeck

The problem is 12 sucks. By all rights it ought to be 8. But by all rights the ECACs ought to be 8, too.

Date: February 25, 2016 04:21PM

Trotsky
Dafatone
KeithK
upprdeck

The problem is 12 sucks. By all rights it ought to be 8. But by all rights the ECACs ought to be 8, too.
Yeah, I think twelve would be the perfect number of bids, given the size of D1. If some smart person can find a way to make 12 be a power of 2 that would be awesome.

Posted by: BearLover (---.wrls.harvard.edu)
Date: February 25, 2016 04:34PM

Less than 16 means either conference champs wouldn't get in or many deserving teams wouldn't make it.

Posted by: underskill (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 25, 2016 04:37PM

BearLover
Less than 16 means either conference champs wouldn't get in or many deserving teams wouldn't make it.

and gives school less incentive to invest in the sport as a result

Date: February 25, 2016 05:40PM

KeithK
Trotsky
Dafatone
KeithK
upprdeck

Yeah, I think twelve would be the perfect number of bids, given the size of D1. If some smart person can find a way to make 12 be a power of 2 that would be awesome.

The tournament included 12 teams from 1988-2001. Four teams received byes for the first round of the tournament. There were two formats over this span. A big reason for the change to 16 was when the "fifth" league - now known as Atlantic Hockey - finally received its automatic bid. With a likely increase in the number of Division One teams in the near future, we will never see a move back to 12, 8 or 4 teams selected for the Frozen Four.

Date: February 25, 2016 07:32PM

BearLover
I disagree. Teams 13-16 (or more likely 11-14) hardly "deserve" a chance to play for the national championship. Besides, IMO it's always better to leave out a few worthy teams than to have a bigger field and invite the unworthy.

(BTW - I consider the conference champions "worthy" by definition, at least more worthy than any at-large.)

Date: February 25, 2016 07:33PM

marty
The tournament included 12 teams from 1988-2001. Four teams received byes for the first round of the tournament. There were two formats over this span. A big reason for the change to 16 was when the "fifth" league - now known as Atlantic Hockey - finally received its automatic bid. With a likely increase in the number of Division One teams in the near future, we will never see a move back to 12, 8 or 4 teams selected for the Frozen Four.
You're absolutely correct. That doesn't mean I have to like it. :-P

Posted by: Robb (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 25, 2016 09:11PM

KeithK
Trotsky
Dafatone
KeithK
upprdeck

How about: 2 round robins of 6, with top 2 teams from each advancing to FF. Games at higher seeded school, so #1s host 5 games and #6s play 5 on the road.

Date: February 26, 2016 07:11AM

KeithK
If some smart person can find a way to make 12 be a power of 2 that would be awesome.

2 ^ 3.584962

(drops protractor)

Date: March 02, 2016 04:50PM

So, since I also went to Michigan, 
and I don't have anyone else that I really care about, 
they also get a highlight.:-D

This week’s brackets

East Regional (Albany):
13 Omaha vs. 4 Providence
11 Harvard vs. 5 Boston College

16 Minnesota State vs. 1 Quinnipiac
10 Boston University vs 8 Yale

15 Robert Morris vs. 3 St. Cloud State
9 Notre Dame vs. 6 Michigan

14 Minnesota vs. 2 North Dakota
12 Massachusetts-Lowell vs. 7 Denver
Conference breakdowns

Hockey East — 5
NCHC — 4
ECAC Hockey — 3
Big Ten — 2
WCHA — 1
Atlantic Hockey — 1
On the move

Date: March 09, 2016 04:37PM

This week’s brackets

East Regional (Albany):
13 Minnesota-Duluth vs. 4 Providence

16 Robert Morris vs. 2 Quinnipiac
9 Boston University vs 7 Yale

14 Michigan Tech vs. 3 St. Cloud State
10 Notre Dame vs. 8 Michigan

15 Minnesota vs. 1 North Dakota
12 Massachusetts-Lowell vs. 6 Denver
Conference breakdowns

Hockey East — 5
NCHC — 4
ECAC Hockey — 3
Big Ten — 2
WCHA — 1
Atlantic Hockey — 1
On the move

In: Minnesota-Duluth, Michigan Tech

Out: Omaha, Minnesota State
Attendance woes?

Cincinnati is looking a little better this week.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2016 04:38PM by Jim Hyla.

Date: March 16, 2016 05:41PM

This week’s brackets

East Regional (Albany):
13 Minnesota-Duluth vs. 4 Providence

16 Robert Morris vs. 2 Quinnipiac
10 Yale vs 8 Massachusetts-Lowell

14 Michigan Tech vs. 3 St. Cloud State
12 Notre Dame vs. 7 Michigan

15 Minnesota vs. 1 North Dakota
9 Boston University vs. 6 Denver
Conference breakdowns

Hockey East — 5
NCHC — 4
ECAC Hockey — 3
Big Ten — 2
WCHA — 1
Atlantic Hockey — 1
On the move

Attendance woes?

Cincinnati is looking a little better this week.

Date: March 16, 2016 07:55PM

how did the ECAC end up on american sports network? could they have worked harder to make sure its on a network no one can actually watch?

Date: March 16, 2016 08:13PM

I've never heard of it. But I'm sure shagwell tried. It's just not a good product.

The league should pay to air it, like beach volleyball or a weights infomercial.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2016 08:15PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 16, 2016 08:50PM

Trotsky
I've never heard of it. But I'm sure shagwell tried. It's just not a good product.

The league should pay to air it, like beach volleyball or a weights infomercial.

Halfway surprised Q hasn't paid for its placid games to be on SNY, etc. I guess they don't get to choose like they do for home games.

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (161.185.160.---)
Date: March 17, 2016 09:52AM

Trotsky

FIOS (Westchester NY) has it listed on Channel 481, "Arise News." However, despite having programs listed in the directory (mostly college basketball and hockey games from earlier in the season), there's been an error message on the screen all week saying that the network is currently not providing content. I'm not holding out much hope.

Date: March 17, 2016 11:26AM

the ASN wiki page has 1 place in all of new york that shows the network.

Date: March 17, 2016 02:38PM

Here's the ECAC page listing the channels around the country showing the games. SNY in NY and CSN in NE has championship game. But most of them don't carry the semis.

Date: March 18, 2016 06:44AM

Jim Hyla
Here's the ECAC page listing the channels around the country showing the games. SNY in NY and CSN in NE has championship game. But most of them don't carry the semis.

The local CBS affiliate for my area is carrying the game yet not listed in the link. Many of the stations that are listed are doing the same thing that ch6 WRGB in Albany/Schenectady is doing. They are broadcasting this game on the digital 6-2 channel. For Time Warner viewers this is found in the local channel tier (12xx).

So for those who are searching don't give up until you check secondary over the air broadcast offerings. But 6-2 is NOT a sports channel. Games are typically offered on Friday and Saturday nights. This year there has been a mixture of college hockey and college basketball offered but it is very hit and miss in that it isn't uncommon for there to be no offerings on a given weekend evening.

(I has no idea there were games I could DVR until well into the season.)

Date: March 18, 2016 07:34AM

marty
Jim Hyla

The local CBS affiliate for my area is carrying the game yet not listed in the link. Many of the stations that are listed are doing the same thing that ch6 WRGB in Albany/Schenectady is doing. They are broadcasting this game on the digital 6-2 channel. For Time Warner viewers this is found in the local channel tier (12xx).

So for those who are searching don't give up until you check secondary over the air broadcast offerings. But 6-2 is NOT a sports channel. Games are typically offered on Friday and Saturday nights. This year there has been a mixture of college hockey and college basketball offered but it is very hit and miss in that it isn't uncommon for there to be no offerings on a given weekend evening.

(I has no idea there were games I could DVR until well into the season.)

Not in Syracuse, that I can find.:`-(

Date: March 18, 2016 08:01AM

you can watch for free the ecac page with a little effort

Date: March 18, 2016 09:11AM

upprdeck
you can watch for free the ecac page with a little effort

Do tell.

Date: March 18, 2016 09:26AM

just watch in private mode, its a pain to open windows but nothing a simple shortcut can do for you.

Jason Moy's final
Date: March 20, 2016 07:20AM

Jason has to make a switch this year that wasn't even on the radar for me. None of the host schools are in the tourney. (Sorry Goofers, and Brown!)

RPI (Union?!?) is not the host in Albany. The ECAC is the host there. I think one puts Q in Albany because ECAC hosts, but Jason had them in Worcester initially. He did move them to Albany for Boston school attendance in Worcester which now has Providence, BC and Harvard. So I didn't see that as a move - the Friars were already there - but he did.

The other move he made was taking Michigan out of the St Paul bracket with St Cloud for a matchup with Notre Dame in Cincinnati. That surely makes sense (road trip for Jim, too).

The Hockey East conflicts made the bracket selection process simpler this year. So has Jason nailed it?

[www.uscho.com]
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2016 07:23AM by marty.

Re: Jason Moy's final
Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2016 09:45AM

marty
Jason has to make a switch this year that wasn't even on the radar for me. None of the host schools are in the tourney. (Sorry Goofers, and Brown!)

RPI (Union?!?) is not the host in Albany. The ECAC is the host there. I think one puts Q in Albany because ECAC hosts, but Jason had them in Worcester initially. He did move them to Albany for Boston school attendance in Worcester which now has Providence, BC and Harvard. So I didn't see that as a move - the Friars were already there - but he did.

The other move he made was taking Michigan out of the St Paul bracket with St Cloud for a matchup with Notre Dame in Cincinnati. That surely makes sense (road trip for Jim, too).

The Hockey East conflicts made the bracket selection process simpler this year. So has Jason nailed it?

[www.uscho.com]
I'd be surprised if the committee came up with anything else. i did the brackets last night just before the St. Cloud game ended, and came up with exactly the same thing. The way Northeastern is playing, the North Dakota - Northeastern match-up looks like a real interesting first round game.

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (161.185.160.---)
Date: March 20, 2016 09:57AM

jkahn
marty

[www.uscho.com]
I'd be surprised if the committee came up with anything else. i did the brackets last night just before the St. Cloud game ended, and came up with exactly the same thing. The way Northeastern is playing, the North Dakota - Northeastern match-up looks like a real interesting first round game.

Adam has an identical bracket at CHN.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 20, 2016 02:07PM

From Quinnipiac to Albany, 140 miles. To Worcester, 90 miles. In neither case do fans have to get on a plane or drive 8-10 hours. Q's spring break ends today so the students will be back in class Monday. Check that: back on campus Monday.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login