Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Estero 2015

Posted by LaJollaRed 
Estero 2015
Posted by: LaJollaRed (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 06, 2015 10:27AM

I went two years ago, and about 50% of the tickets were still available at the entrance, 5 minutes before the first game. Does anyone have reason to believe it will be different this year?

Who's planning on going?

Re: Estero 2015
Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: December 06, 2015 12:24PM

LaJollaRed
I went two years ago, and about 50% of the tickets were still available at the entrance, 5 minutes before the first game. Does anyone have reason to believe it will be different this year?

Who's planning on going?

Well, I'm not sure how much weight this will carry, the strength of the field this year, with possibly 3 top-10 teams, might attract a bigger crowd.

This is not just because these should be excellent games, but also because top teams usually have strong fan bases.

Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 06, 2015 12:40PM

We'll be there this year. I have NEVER had a problem getting tickets at the box office in Estero.

Posted by: tominvb (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2015 05:44PM

Notre Dame drew a huge crowd but there are always a couple thousand empty seats.
Will be there with the missus and 4 friends (who always root against Cornell just to be that way, plus they are from New Hamshire.)
So usually when Cornell plays I am down on the ice next to Irv the Goal Judge. Stop down and say Hi - bald old guy with a Red fleece Cornell shirt.
Tom, ILR '74

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: December 06, 2015 06:08PM

tominvb
Notre Dame drew a huge crowd but there are always a couple thousand empty seats.
Will be there with the missus and 4 friends (who always root against Cornell just to be that way, plus they are from New Hamshire.)
So usually when Cornell plays I am down on the ice next to Irv the Goal Judge. Stop down and say Hi - bald old guy with a Red fleece Cornell shirt.
Tom, ILR '74

What is this goal judge of which you speak?

Posted by: Rita (73.54.127.---)
Date: December 06, 2015 07:22PM

I'll be there both games, with a niece one night and a nephew the other.

Hoping the boys can shed the rust somewhere in GA on the way down.

Date: December 07, 2015 09:01AM

The areana does not shield the goal judges (the guy that sits behind the goalie with the button that turns on the red light tc, etc.), he sits on a high chair next to the fans. On one end there is seating for us mobility impared folks with folding chairs. I just sit next to him and we chat from time to time as the play moves to the other end. Irv played for Dartmouth in the late 50's. My friends sit behind in the regular seats. Perhaps I do not use the correct terminology to discribe his job.

Regards

Posted by: jkahn (---.whitingcorp.com)
Date: December 07, 2015 09:18AM

The Cornell sections have been 113-115 the last dozen years or so - and they'll have that info at the box office so you can just ask for seats in the Cornell section or pretty much anywhere else in the rink that you'd like. I'm typically at the top of 113. The seats always seem to be way less than 50% occupied, although a sizable amount of folks seem to come for only one game or the other. There's often a line to buy tickets at the box office right before game time that can take 5 to 15 minutes, so get there a little early or if you're in the area, swing by earlier to get your tickets.

Date: December 07, 2015 10:40AM

tominvb
The areana does not shield the goal judges (the guy that sits behind the goalie with the button that turns on the red light tc, etc.), he sits on a high chair next to the fans. On one end there is seating for us mobility impared folks with folding chairs. I just sit next to him and we chat from time to time as the play moves to the other end. Irv played for Dartmouth in the late 50's. My friends sit behind in the regular seats. Perhaps I do not use the correct terminology to discribe his job.

Regards

It will be interesting to see if there are goal judges in Estero. I don't know if they are still used in any league play in the NCAAs.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 07, 2015 05:23PM

marty
tominvb

Regards

It will be interesting to see if there are goal judges in Estero. I don't know if they are still used in any league play in the NCAAs.

IIRC, Colgate still had them.

Date: December 10, 2015 01:15PM

You learn something new all the time. Since my only yearly experience with college hockey is in Estero I was not aware of a rule change concerning goal judges At the tournement they always use them. So I just assumed...

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 10, 2015 06:59PM

Just noticed that Cornell's schedule strength, based on KRACH rankings on CHN, is #7, while Providence is #30. Looks like Friars' best win was over Yale at home, with two earlier ties against BU.

[SOS rankings are #12 and #34 on USCHO KRACH, strangely enough.]

Date: December 10, 2015 09:06PM

tominvb
You learn something new all the time. Since my only yearly experience with college hockey is in Estero I was not aware of a rule change concerning goal judges At the tournement they always use them. So I just assumed...

Likewise, I don't see them anymore and assumed they were extinct.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: December 24, 2015 10:24AM

Are there any insights on roster returnees as we head into the tourney?

Oh, and the best of (Your Holiday Here) to all!

Date: December 25, 2015 07:23AM

Maybe we'll get to watch, according to CornellBigRed game article:

"While there is no confirmed live video feed for the tournament's four games, the games may still get picked up as part of the subscription-based Ivy League Digital Network at the 11th hour."

Posted by: Dutchman (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 26, 2015 05:22PM

Good luck against Providence. You are the biggest team (#1 in height and #2 in weight) in College Hockey. Pound the stuffing out of them and then do the same against BC the next night. The whole ECAC is pulling for you. We don't get these opportunities against ranked HE teams often, got to take advantage. Nothing to lose here. The pressure is on Providence. They have not been tested. May the hockey gods be with you !!!!

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 27, 2015 11:03AM

is Cornell marketing doing what they should do and trying to get these games on the digital network? knowing how they work i doubt it by why post a message in an article if something is not happening behind the scenes? i wonder what the real cost is and if costs could not be worked out with 4 schools looking for ways to get the alumni to watch the game?

Posted by: A-19 (216.46.23.---)
Date: December 27, 2015 10:06PM

does anyone have an update if there will be an audio or video feed? thanks!

edit: i see audio will be on WHCU, any updates on video?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2015 10:07PM by A-19.

Re: Estero 2015 - Naples Daily News
Posted by: billhoward (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 28, 2015 07:07AM

Monday pre-game story in the Naples Daily News: [www.naplesnews.com]

Ryan Tooheyn Naples Daily News
The strength of the tournament field is one of the strongest in recent history, even though there wasn't a way to know their rankings when the teams were selected two years ago. "It's hard to predict because we book these things a few years in advance," [Florida Everblades president Craig] Brush said. "The fact that Providence won the championship last year and are still ranked No. 1 this year just shows how strong their program is."

Five years ago, a field this strong would have gotten the tournament televised on one of the sports networks.

Date: December 28, 2015 10:41AM

it might have been nice if cornell who puts out the nugget of hope would at least follow up on the story one way or the other.

Posted by: rmandel (72.54.9.---)
Date: December 28, 2015 10:45AM

The Cornell Ivy Digital Network page currently says, "Men's Hockey Test" for 10:00 AM EST.

Posted by: LGR14 (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: December 28, 2015 10:45AM

On Ivy Digital's schedule, at 10 AM, there is listed "Men's Hockey Test"...so maybe that is a good sign of things to come.

Date: December 28, 2015 10:54AM

LGR14
On Ivy Digital's schedule, at 10 AM, there is listed "Men's Hockey Test"...so maybe that is a good sign of things to come.

At the very least, it's not a bad sign.

Date: December 28, 2015 01:04PM

O ye of little faith...Game is listed now on ILDN.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: December 28, 2015 01:43PM

Al DeFlorio
O ye of little faith...Game is listed now on ILDN.

Calling out members of the Faithful for a lack of faith is cold. :-D

So the 11th hour came slightly early. Great job, all involved. Brandon also tweeted out that Jason W. will be doing the call for all 4 games. Someone send him some lemon tea.

Anyway, official:
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 28, 2015 07:41PM

BC up on OSU 2-0 in the first 2 minutes. It's not as close as the score.

The carnage is on ILDN if you can stomach it.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 28, 2015 08:02PM

BC's first goal must have hurt pretty bad for OSU. Their goalie was knocked off his feet into the net after a BC player (arguably) pushed an OSU defender into the goalie. The hapless goalie was then beaten by a bank shot from the corner just as he was getting back to his feet. A real slap in the face.

Date: December 28, 2015 08:47PM

Trotsky

Easier to stomach at 2-1 late 2nd.

Edit: Now 2-2 even later 2nd.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2015 08:51PM by Al DeFlorio.

Posted by: KeithK (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 28, 2015 09:27PM

Al DeFlorio
Trotsky

Now Ohio it's the 3rd and OSU is ahead, 3-2.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 28, 2015 09:50PM

KeithK
Al DeFlorio
Trotsky

And they do win, 3-2. Bad day for HEA. See you all tomorrow 7:30PM. Maybe we can win it all this year.

Date: December 28, 2015 09:57PM

Jim Hyla
KeithK
Al DeFlorio
Trotsky

And they do win, 3-2. Bad day for HEA. See you all tomorrow 7:30PM. Maybe we can win it all this year.

Maybe. I'd have preferred BC though just to pimp out schedule strength.

Date: December 29, 2015 12:25AM

Trotsky
Jim Hyla
KeithK
Al DeFlorio
Trotsky

Agreed. But you take what you're given.

Date: December 29, 2015 06:32AM

BC not Ohio State vs. Cornell for the title would help the attendance, too. BC fans didn't have to choose between the Florida Hockey Classic and the Fiesta Bowl. BC-Ohio State box score lists the day's attendance at 6,022 (hockey capacity listed as 7,186). First game wasn't that full; it looked pretty good by the time of the second game.

Impressive job by Cornell to come back after Providence dominated the first half of the game (shots were 12-4 Providence after one, 24-12 after two). Cornell showed real energy in the third.

Nice to see a couple other college jerseys and scarves at the rink including Union and Maine. Nice to see a college hockey game where you can get a beer at the concession stands.

Date: December 29, 2015 07:40AM

Trotsky
Right. And, for some of us, for old time's sake.

Date: December 29, 2015 11:25AM

Be nice for old time's sake to win the tournament as well. This is our chance to have as many titles (5) in the tournament's 16 years as we have fourths.

Date: December 29, 2015 02:09PM

billhoward
Be nice for old time's sake to win the tournament as well. This is our chance to have as many titles (5) in the tournament's 16 years as we have fourths.
3 of our 4 wins have come via shootout. The other one was in overtime.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2015 02:58PM

Trotsky

Sure. With tOSU clocking in at #50, a win today will probably be one of those "bad wins" that's thrown out in RPI calculation with respect to PWR because it would make our RPI go down. Against BC, we would have received yet another bump in SOS and had another shot at a "quality win" bonus. Not to mention, there's probably more pressure on getting a win, given the expectations and that a loss vs. Ohio State would hurt us more than a loss vs. BC.

But OF COURSE, this is the hand we're dealt, and hopefully we were paying attention to how the Buckeyes came back vs. BC. Given one trash-talk thing I saw on USCHO between Providence and BC fans, this very much reminds me of UVM and Clarkson squaring off in the 1996 ECAC Consolation game.

Date: December 29, 2015 03:58PM

I was going to respond by saying that beating OSU would help us in the Pairwise by possibly giving us Common Opponents against teams like Michigan and Minnesota. But then I remembered that since PWR only has three components now (RPI, COp, H2H) this is pretty much useless (because RPI is the tiebreaker). So nevermind.

Just win.

ILDN
Date: December 29, 2015 04:17PM

I don't either think BC or Providence has entered the Ancient Eight, though the B(Eagles) would possibly argue the point. However the Live ILDN Video is here for those interested in this afternoon's game.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2015 04:18PM by marty.

Date: December 29, 2015 05:51PM

BC up 1-0 in the third.

Date: December 29, 2015 05:56PM

Providence scores twice in 44 seconds to lead 2-1.

Date: December 29, 2015 06:04PM

The Colgate-Brown game is the Nick Lappin day. Brown wins 7-5 and Lappin has 4 goals and 2 assists.

Date: December 29, 2015 06:15PM

8 seconds to go and there's a fire in the lights by the BC bench.

Date: December 29, 2015 06:26PM

Trotsky

and controversy about whether BC got the even-up goal. It was waved off, but no reason given so far. I guess the BC team went back to locker room.

Date: December 29, 2015 07:15PM

Jim Hyla
Trotsky

and controversy about whether BC got the even-up goal. It was waved off, but no reason given so far. I guess the BC team went back to locker room.
My feed from Germaine froze. Is this goat rope still going on or is it over now?

Edit:

On the Cornell game ILDN feed the intermission clock is counting down now from 17:00, and the first game is listed on USCHO as final. I guess we're starting around 7:35, unless that countdown is only for the free skate in which case it'll be more like 7:50.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2015 07:17PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 29, 2015 07:16PM

Trotsky
Jim Hyla
Trotsky

My feed from Germaine froze. Is this goat rope still going on or is it over now?

BC Twitter says it's over. Providence won 2-1. Not sure how light issue was resolved.

Date: December 29, 2015 07:17PM

Trotsky
Jim Hyla
Trotsky

USCHO shows a 2-1 Providence win as final

Date: December 29, 2015 07:22PM

Providence won, but they never explained about the disputed goal at 8 sec to go. The fire was a bad bulb. That took a while to fix and the game ended around 7 PM. Jason said the finals were still said to start on time, but I can't believe that, as it wouldn't allow warm ups and ice cleaning. I'd guess 8PM at earliest.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: December 29, 2015 07:29PM

Trotsky
On the Cornell game ILDN feed the intermission clock is counting down now from 17:00, and the first game is listed on USCHO as final. I guess we're starting around 7:35, unless that countdown is only for the free skate in which case it'll be more like 7:50.

When I try to get the feed, the intermission clock starts at 17:50, counts down to 17:07, then freezes and buffers. Reloading gets me back to 17:50, counting down to 17:07... ad infinitum. Anybody else having this problem?

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: December 29, 2015 07:33PM

Beeeej
Trotsky

When I try to get the feed, the intermission clock starts at 17:50, counts down to 17:07, then freezes and buffers. Reloading gets me back to 17:50, counting down to 17:07... ad infinitum. Anybody else having this problem?
Same problem here.

Posted by: Tom Pasniewski 98 (---.lightspeed.mssnks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 29, 2015 07:34PM

Al DeFlorio
Beeeej
Trotsky

Same problem here.

And here.

Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 29, 2015 07:35PM

Me too. I've emailed Brandon.

Date: December 29, 2015 07:36PM

i think the game link is for game one.. the clock stops at 7:07 edt.

Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 29, 2015 07:37PM

From Brandon's Twitter feed (https://twitter.com/BT_unassisted):

According to the clock, we're looking at a 7:45 p.m. start

Date: December 29, 2015 07:37PM

Just planning to listen here. WHCU is still broadcasting talk - they haven't switched to the rink.

Date: December 29, 2015 07:39PM

Looks like the video might have "caught up" at this point... showing about 6 minutes left, and they're trying a bunch of different camera feeds. Promising.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: December 29, 2015 07:41PM

I hear voices and see Red uniforms.

Posted by: Ken711 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 29, 2015 08:09PM

1-0 OSU over Cornell 13:12 in the 1st period.

Posted by: Ken711 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 29, 2015 08:26PM

OSU 2 Cornell 0 end of 1st period.

Date: December 29, 2015 08:35PM

losing, but one of the best periods we have played this year. shots. cyled the puck, created great chances. a couple of goals allowed on long shots. probably more what we should have ended up the first period yesterday

Date: December 29, 2015 08:46PM

Stewart in for Garman after two quick ones make it 4-0 tOSU.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: scoop85 (---.sub-70-209-141.myvzw.com)
Date: December 29, 2015 08:48PM

No wonder we've given up 4 - Garman is obviously rusty

...and now 5-0. This is totally fun.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Oh boy. Now 5-0. Hockey is a funny game.

Date: December 29, 2015 09:10PM

Shorthander makes it 6-0. Funny, but not so much funny "ha ha."

- Steve Worona

Date: December 29, 2015 09:13PM

followed a decent first with an awful 5 min of D.

Posted by: djk26 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 29, 2015 09:35PM

Does this disaster hurt Cornell's PWR more than the win against Providence helped?

Date: December 29, 2015 10:02PM

djk26
Does this disaster hurt Cornell's PWR more than the win against Providence helped?
Good question.

Posted by: BMac (107.72.162.---)
Date: December 29, 2015 10:11PM

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 29, 2015 10:41PM

They need to stop beating #1s. Last time, this happened the next night: [collegehockeystats.net]

Date: December 30, 2015 02:00AM

Trotsky
djk26
Good question.
I went on CHN and flipped the results of this weekend's games. Our RPI would be .0018 lower in that case. So apparently we picked the better game to win. FWIW when I also flipped the BC-OSU game in order to allow us to play OSU after losing to Prov. our RPI went down another .0015 (.0033 total)

Date: December 30, 2015 04:35PM

ACM

Never fear - nearly 24 hours later, the ILDN has finally gotten back to me to let me know, despite the fact that all of us were having the same problem, and they were able to fix the problem after Arthur contacted the broadcasters to relay a message of the problem, that the problem must be on my end. I should, y'know, update my browser and clear my cache.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Swampy (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 31, 2015 10:55AM

Beeeej
ACM

Never fear - nearly 24 hours later, the ILDN has finally gotten back to me to let me know, despite the fact that all of us were having the same problem, and they were able to fix the problem after Arthur contacted the broadcasters to relay a message of the problem, that the problem must be on my end. I should, y'know, update my browser and clear my cache.

You could also try upgrading your computer or erasing your hard drive and reinstalling the operating system.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! drunk

Date: January 18, 2016 04:19PM

Everblades in the news.

Posted by: jkahn (---.whitingcorp.com)
Date: January 18, 2016 05:29PM

Trotsky
Everblades in the news.
The player in the article played for UNH against us in the Estero 2013 tournament, and then transferred to Quinnipiac and played for them in 2014-15 (so he likely graduated from UNH as he avoided sitting out a year).

Posted by: RichH (134.223.230.---)
Date: January 18, 2016 05:36PM

jkahn
Trotsky
Everblades in the news.
The player in the article played for UNH against us in the Estero 2013 tournament, and then transferred to Quinnipiac and played for them in 2014-15 (so he likely graduated from UNH as he avoided sitting out a year).

He appears to be wearing a 2013 tournament shirt in his mug shot.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login