Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

SLU

Posted by Jim Hyla 
SLU
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 04, 2015 07:26AM

This doesn't have anything to do with tonight's game, but what the heck. From the article on Matthew Nuttle:

Q: Canisius and Niagara are in that area, but Buffalo isn't exactly a huge college hockey town yet. Did you have exposure to college hockey as a kid?
A: Actually, my first exposure to college hockey was when the Frozen Four was in Buffalo in 2003 when Cornell was in the Frozen Four. I went and saw Cornell play, and Michigan and Minnesota played the other game, which I went to too. So that was actually my first taste of Cornell hockey. I actually remember the band being there and everything. It was pretty cool.

Q: So did that stay with you through the years, or is it kind of a coincidence that you ended up here?
A: Yeah, I would say it stuck with me throughout the years. Obviously at the time, I was 8 years old, so I didn't know much about college hockey or anything. But I remember all the fans and everything, so that's something that's kind of always stuck with me.

So play and cheer like hell.

Re: SLU
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 04, 2015 08:36AM

Fiegl added to the injured list.:`-(

Posted by: underskill (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 04, 2015 10:33AM

Jim Hyla
This doesn't have anything to do with tonight's game, but what the heck. From the article on Matthew Nuttle:

Q: Canisius and Niagara are in that area, but Buffalo isn't exactly a huge college hockey town yet. Did you have exposure to college hockey as a kid?
A: Actually, my first exposure to college hockey was when the Frozen Four was in Buffalo in 2003 when Cornell was in the Frozen Four. I went and saw Cornell play, and Michigan and Minnesota played the other game, which I went to too. So that was actually my first taste of Cornell hockey. I actually remember the band being there and everything. It was pretty cool.

Q: So did that stay with you through the years, or is it kind of a coincidence that you ended up here?
A: Yeah, I would say it stuck with me throughout the years. Obviously at the time, I was 8 years old, so I didn't know much about college hockey or anything. But I remember all the fans and everything, so that's something that's kind of always stuck with me.

also, that was no high stick on that goal against UNH

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: December 04, 2015 12:07PM

underskill
Jim Hyla

Howie was a rock, the best tailgunner in the outfit.

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 04, 2015 02:04PM

Trotsky
underskill
Jim Hyla

But, we lost Howie the next day!!
How many on IR for tonight?

help

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: December 04, 2015 02:05PM

Trotsky
underskill
Jim Hyla

Afraid not. We lost Howie the next day...

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: December 04, 2015 02:42PM

we are really walking wounded this weekend

Posted by: BearLover (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: December 04, 2015 06:17PM

Al DeFlorio
Fiegl added to the injured list.:`-(
Knisley back in the lineup, at least.

Posted by: djk26 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 04, 2015 09:27PM

Great to see Cornell get a win over a top 20 team! Record against the current top 20 in the USCHO poll is a more than respectable 1-1-2.

After the game, the Cornell Hockey twitter feed posted a picture of Dwight Schrute jumping in the air and pumping his fist. I couldn't help but think that if they wanted to illustrate celebrating a Cornell win, they picked the wrong character from "The Office".

Date: December 04, 2015 11:30PM

St. Lawrence pulled its goalie at least a minute later than it was supposed to.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: December 04, 2015 11:37PM

BearLover

¿Where is the goal pulling rule found? Are you pulling my leg or....?

Posted by: KeithK (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 04, 2015 11:53PM

marty
BearLover

Hayton went off with only 36 seconds to go. From the radio it didn't sound like we pinned him in net by controlling the puck either. That's probably 30-60 seconds later than typical I think.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 04, 2015 11:54PM

Since when can the refs award penalty shots based on reviewing video to determine if a play resulted in a goal or not? Is that a recent rule change?

The following is from the game recap here: [cornellbigred.com]

"But the lead would stand up, mostly because of a wild sequence with 11:01 to play in the third. Gillam made a save on a long shot from Nolan Gluchowski, then Woody Hudson's whack at another rebound was blocked. One last effort came from Lough who had Gillam beat, but Cornell defenseman Ryan Bliss made the stop on his knees in the crease and swiveled his legs around to keep the puck from crossing the line. Video review was inconclusive to overturn the original on-ice ruling of no goal, but Bliss was also deemed to have played the puck with his hands in the crease — resulting in a penalty shot. Lough took the attempt and made a move to his forehand which Gillam stopped."

So the play is ruled a no-goal on the ice, and no penalty is called. But after reviewing the play the refs decide to award a penalty shot. I had no idea they could do that.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2015 11:57PM by andyw2100.

Date: December 04, 2015 11:55PM

The box lists the Bliss penalty that led to the penalty shot as "Handling Puck with Hands". I think I know what happened (he covered the puck in the crease) but I don't think I've ever heard that term before. Am I just clueless?

Date: December 04, 2015 11:58PM

andyw2100
So the play on the ice is ruled a no-goal, and no penalty is called. But after reviewing the play the refs decide to award a penalty shot. I had no idea they could do that.
From the radio broadcast it sounded like they had decided to award a penalty shot before going in to look at the video to determine whether a goal had been scored.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.sub-70-215-8.myvzw.com)
Date: December 05, 2015 12:00AM

The way I saw it, the ref signaled (emphatically) for the penalty shot before the review. The review was to make sure there wasn't a goal before the penalty was called. During the review the puck was at center for the shot and both teams were on the bench.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 05, 2015 12:00AM

djk26
Great to see Cornell get a win over a top 20 team! Record against the current top 20 in the USCHO poll is a more than respectable 1-1-2.

After the game, the Cornell Hockey twitter feed posted a picture of Dwight Schrute jumping in the air and pumping his fist. I couldn't help but think that if they wanted to illustrate celebrating a Cornell win, they picked the wrong character from "The Office".

He did consider applying once though; I think our role in the development of modern cabbage impressed him.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: RichH (---.mycingular.net)
Date: December 05, 2015 12:04AM

djk26
I couldn't help but think that if they wanted to illustrate celebrating a Cornell win, they picked the wrong character from "The Office".

I think they also posted a video of a "Jim" reaction after the Brown win, so they may just be setting it up for later.

Posted by: RichH (---.mycingular.net)
Date: December 05, 2015 12:07AM

Chris '03
The way I saw it, the ref signaled (emphatically) for the penalty shot before the review. The review was to make sure there wasn't a goal before the penalty was called. During the review the puck was at center for the shot and both teams were on the bench.

I agree with this. I didn't explicitly see the standard signal for a penalty shot (wrists crossed above the head), but the pointing was emphatic and clearly not at the puck.

Date: December 05, 2015 12:08AM

KeithK
From the radio broadcast it sounded like they had decided to award a penalty shot before going in to look at the video to determine whether a goal had been scored.

Chris '03

Interesting, then, that the recap got it wrong.

I saw the ref behind the goal kind of pointing and gesticulating wildly out toward the front of the goal, which confused me. He clearly wasn't indicating a goal, but he also didn't put his hands over his head to indicate a penalty shot. (If he did, I completely missed it, and I'm pretty sure most people at Lynah did as well, because there was no reaction typical of a penalty shot being awarded to the opposing team.)

Posted by: sah67 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 05, 2015 12:32AM

andyw2100

I saw the ref behind the goal kind of pointing and gesticulating wildly out toward the front of the goal, which confused me. He clearly wasn't indicating a goal, but he also didn't put his hands over his head to indicate a penalty shot. (If he did, I completely missed it, and I'm pretty sure most people at Lynah did as well, because there was no reaction typical of a penalty shot being awarded to the opposing team.)

He was pointing to center ice, not the front of the goal: that's the NHL-style signal for a penalty shot. I think college officials do occasionally skip the crossed-arms signal. It was pretty clear to me that penalty shot was the indication before they even reviewed anything.

Date: December 05, 2015 08:34AM

sah67
andyw2100

He was pointing to center ice, not the front of the goal: that's the NHL-style signal for a penalty shot. I think college officials do occasionally skip the crossed-arms signal. It was pretty clear to me that penalty shot was the indication before they even reviewed anything.

That's exactly right. He pointed to center ice and then down to the player in the crease.

Date: December 05, 2015 11:19AM

sah67

Jim Hyla

That's exactly right. He pointed to center ice and then down to the player in the crease.

It's good that so many of you were properly able to interpret what was going on. I was confused by trying to discern the subtle differences (made by a ref standing behind the net) between pointing into the goal, pointing towards center ice, and pointing to the crease. With at least half a dozen players also obstructing my view, it was less than crystal clear what the ref was indicating. I was confused. Apparently quite a few other people at Lynah were also confused, including whomever it was that wrote the recap for the Cornell web site. That recap probably wound up confusing a lot more people, who, like me, then questioned a rule they thought they understood. (I really didn't think refs could look at a replay of a goal to decide goal or no-goal, and then call penalties after the fact, based on something they saw when reviewing the video, but that's exactly what the recap indicated had happened. I assume I am still correct about that.)

What would have eliminated much, if not all of the confusion would have been the very clear and correct hand gesture indicating penalty shot from the ref. For whatever reason he chose not to make it, and it's water under the bridge at this point, but it really would have been a lot clearer than all the pointing.

Date: December 05, 2015 11:26AM

andyw2100
sah67

Jim Hyla

It's good that so many of you were properly able to interpret what was going on. I was confused by trying to discern the subtle differences (made by a ref standing behind the net) between pointing into the goal, pointing towards center ice, and pointing to the crease. With at least half a dozen players also obstructing my view, it was less than crystal clear what the ref was indicating. I was confused. Apparently quite a few other people at Lynah were also confused, including whomever it was that wrote the recap for the Cornell web site. That recap probably wound up confusing a lot more people, who, like me, then questioned a rule they thought they understood. (I really didn't think refs could look at a replay of a goal to decide goal or no-goal, and then call penalties after the fact, based on something they saw when reviewing the video, but that's exactly what the recap indicated had happened. I assume I am still correct about that.)

What would have eliminated much, if not all of the confusion would have been the very clear and correct hand gesture indicating penalty shot from the ref. For whatever reason he chose not to make it, and it's water under the bridge at this point, but it really would have been a lot clearer than all the pointing.

Agree with all of this, it was confusing at the time and a definite penalty shot indication would have made it clearer.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 05, 2015 11:50AM

Jim Hyla
andyw2100
sah67

Jim Hyla

Agree with all of this, it was confusing at the time and a definite penalty shot indication would have made it clearer.
Since Schafer's veins stayed inside his neck I assume that it was clearer on the ice.

Date: December 05, 2015 12:36PM

KeithK
marty
BearLover

Hayton went off with only 36 seconds to go. From the radio it didn't sound like we pinned him in net by controlling the puck either. That's probably 30-60 seconds later than typical I think.
We didn't pin him--the puck was in our end for nearly all of those 30-60 seconds.

marty: Most teams pull their goalie with over one minute remaining, and studies have shown they should pull their goalies much earlier than that: [people.stat.sfu.ca]

(EDITED back to original post)
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2015 05:34PM by BearLover.

Date: December 05, 2015 04:20PM

BearLover
KeithK
marty
BearLover

We didn't pin him--the puck was in our end for nearly all of those 30-60 seconds.

marty: Most teams pull their goalie with over one minute remaining, and studies have shown they should pull their goalies much earlier than that: [people.stat.sfu.ca]

Wasn't there a neutral zone faceoff some time during that 30-60 seconds before he was pulled? As I've demonstrated in another thread, apparently my memory sucks, but I don't recall thinking they were pulling him late. My recollection is that they pulled him as soon as they gained control in our end after there was less than a minute to go.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 05, 2015 05:08PM

andyw2100
BearLover
KeithK
marty
BearLover

Wasn't there a neutral zone faceoff some time during that 30-60 seconds before he was pulled? As I've demonstrated in another thread, apparently my memory sucks, but I don't recall thinking they were pulling him late. My recollection is that they pulled him as soon as they gained control in our end after there was less than a minute to go.
On the radio they seemed surprised that SLU was taking so long to pull the goalie.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login