Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

ECAC 2015-16

Posted by Iceberg 
Page: Previous1 2 3Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: ECAC 2015-16
Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 29, 2015 08:27PM

how many of the forwards made it back for the BU game?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 29, 2015 08:58PM

Swampy
Thinking ahead to how young we were going to be this year, many of us -- myself included -- did not expect too much. It's still early, but gray skies seem to be clearing up. cheer
Same here. I am very happy with what's happened so far.

Date: November 29, 2015 08:58PM

upprdeck
how many of the forwards made it back for the BU game?
Only Hilbrich.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 30, 2015 07:46AM

Trotsky
Swampy
Thinking ahead to how young we were going to be this year, many of us -- myself included -- did not expect too much. It's still early, but gray skies seem to be clearing up. cheer

Not to throw a wet blanket on all this, after all I'm happy as well, but the combined record of opponent games that we won is 14-50-9, lost or tied is 25-6-7. At this stage of the season rankings are heavily weighted to record.
We still need to show that we can beat the good teams and it just so happens that our upcoming schedule allows us an opportunity to do just that. By Jan 10 we should be able to tell how good we really are. I'm hoping that with a healthy team, we can do well, but I suspect if we falter, the Schafer must go birds will come out again (not that I think you 2 are in that class).

The best thing that I see from our early record is that we're beating the teams we should, but often we are having trouble doing that and that's worrisome.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 30, 2015 09:55AM

Jim Hyla
Trotsky
Swampy

Not to throw a wet blanket on all this, after all I'm happy as well, but the combined record of opponent games that we won is 14-50-9, lost or tied is 25-6-7. At this stage of the season rankings are heavily weighted to record.
We still need to show that we can beat the good teams and it just so happens that our upcoming schedule allows us an opportunity to do just that. By Jan 10 we should be able to tell how good we really are. I'm hoping that with a healthy team, we can do well, but I suspect if we falter, the Schafer must go birds will come out again (not that I think you 2 are in that class).

The best thing that I see from our early record is that we're beating the teams we should, but often we are having trouble doing that and that's worrisome.

No argument that we have many tough tests ahead. That being said, it's been nice to see the contributions we're getting throughout the lineup, and if we can get some of the walking wounded back to improve the depth, we should have our share of good moments ahead. We're certainly not the most talented team out there, but so far we've been solid in all phases. No question that we're playing much smarter than in recent years, with far fewer dumb penalties.

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.ipyx-102276-zyo.zip.zayo.com)
Date: November 30, 2015 10:14AM

Jim Hyla
Trotsky
Swampy

We have "lost or tied" three games, all against quality teams, and all games went to OT. I think the early signs are pretty good. Not national title good but "put the cap back on the panic button" good. The biggest issue I have so far is the third period of games against strong teams. I wonder if conditioning/youth is an issue.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 30, 2015 12:03PM

ugarte
Jim Hyla
Trotsky
Swampy

We have "lost or tied" three games, all against quality teams, and all games went to OT. I think the early signs are pretty good. Not national title good but "put the cap back on the panic button" good. The biggest issue I have so far is the third period of games against strong teams. I wonder if conditioning/youth is an issue.

Or depth.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.citymeals.org)
Date: December 04, 2015 04:37PM

QU/Yale with a 25-minute headstart over everyone else today. That's easily the game of the weekend although Sucks/RPI is tomorrow.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: December 04, 2015 05:03PM

Iceberg
QU/Yale with a 25-minute headstart over everyone else today. That's easily the game of the weekend although Sucks/RPI is tomorrow.

RPI is on Time Warner tomorrow for those in upstate NY. Clarkson @ Colgate is on TW tonight. And the Yale game is on SNY tonight,too.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 04, 2015 05:03PM

Iceberg

and no ILDN. It's on American Sports Network, SportsNetNY in Syracuse.

Date: December 04, 2015 05:26PM

Jim Hyla
Iceberg

and no ILDN. It's on American Sports Network, SportsNetNY in Syracuse.

In the Albany area ch 6, the CBS affiliate, has been showing American Sports Network hockey on Friday and basketball on Saturday for a few weeks. This is on their d2 digital offering, not on the primary channel.

I have been wondering if this is going on in other markets.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 04, 2015 09:13PM

QU with a decisive 3-0 victory at Yale. And RPI gets handed their first conference loss of the season. That Dartmouth goaltender Buffalo has had two very good games.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: December 04, 2015 09:19PM

And PU over Brown, 4-2. Onion leading Sucks 4-3 w/ about 15 min. left.

Posted by: RichH (---.mycingular.net)
Date: December 04, 2015 10:48PM

Swampy

With the Harvard-Union tie, Cornell sits alone in 2nd, 1 point back of QU.

To further illustrate how dumb PWR is this time of year, with Dartmouth's win vs. RPI, they are currently #16 in the nation with a 3-5-1 record, according to the CHN app.

This also demonstrates the benefit of playing in a strong league.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 04, 2015 11:31PM

RichH
Swampy

To further illustrate how dumb PWR is this time of year, with Dartmouth's win vs. RPI, they are currently #16 in the nation with a 3-5-1 record, according to the CHN app.

Ten years ago Dartmouth would be that WCHA team everyone would say deserves a tourney bid over the ECAC champ.

Posted by: KeithK (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 04, 2015 11:49PM

Chris '03
RichH
Swampy

Ten years ago Dartmouth would be that WCHA team everyone would say deserves a tourney bid over the ECAC champ.
This is dumb in December. But if (and this is a big if) the ECAC keeps up their non-conference strength it may stll be the case in March. And it will still be dumb. But at least it would be working in our favor.

If Cornell had not given up that fourth goal against Q there would only be six ECAC teams in the top 16. But the top three would be Cornell, Quinnipiac, Harvard in that order.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 05, 2015 09:32PM

BearLover

"Saturday’s 0-0 tie between St. Lawrence and Quinnipiac was the first scoreless game in the history of the Saints’ program — a span of 2,083 games dating to the 1925-26 season.

This is an incredible statistic.

RPI and Harvard tied 0-0. RPI's first scoreless tie since 1/29/1927.

Date: December 05, 2015 10:01PM

ursusminor
BearLover

"Saturday’s 0-0 tie between St. Lawrence and Quinnipiac was the first scoreless game in the history of the Saints’ program — a span of 2,083 games dating to the 1925-26 season.

This is an incredible statistic.

RPI and Harvard tied 0-0. RPI's first scoreless tie since 1/29/1927.

Sucks put on a clinic in the first two periods. RPI seemed to refuel during the second intermission and Harvard ran out of gas. Still there were pipes and cross bars ringing all night long. Kasdorf was back after a recent injury and looked great. But so did Madsen.

Check out the video of the first period. It looked like Harvard was wielding the epee at times and we were impressed with their ability to stick handle while skating in circles around RPI.

An entertaining 0-0.

Date: December 06, 2015 01:34AM

Yale seems to have seriously entrenched themselves into a downward spiral. They host BU at home next weekend so they have a chance to not go into the break with 4 straight losses.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2015 01:35AM by Iceberg.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: December 07, 2015 04:10PM

There's been so much attention to the ECAC's performance at the top of PWR that it may be neglected that we have no "bottom feeder" teams, at least so far.

Typically even in years where there have been two or three top ranked ECAC teams, we have also had teams in the mid to lower 50s. Not this year. The worst PWR for an ECAC team today is 42. Compare the worst PWR by conference:

AH (60, 59, 55, 54, 52, 50)
Big Ten (58, 48)
WCHA (57, 51, 47, 44)
NCHC (56)
HE (53, 46, 45, 43)
Indy (49)
ECAC (42)
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2015 04:12PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: December 07, 2015 04:32PM

Trotsky
There's been so much attention to the ECAC's performance at the top of PWR that it may be neglected that we have no "bottom feeder" teams, at least so far.

Typically even in years where there have been two or three top ranked ECAC teams, we have also had teams in the mid to lower 50s. Not this year. The worst PWR for an ECAC team today is 42. Compare the worst PWR by conference:

AH (60, 59, 55, 54, 52, 50)
Big Ten (58, 48)
WCHA (57, 51, 47, 44)
NCHC (56)
HE (53, 46, 45, 43)
Indy (49)
ECAC (42)
I think one follows from the other. If a concference has a lot of highly ranked teams then the SoS affect raises the ranking of the bottom teams. We saw this consistently with the WCHA back in the day.

That said, I look at the ECAC standings and I don't see any teams that are obviously horrible. Brown has the worst overall record and they looked pretty good when we played them (and are #14 in SoS according to KRACH). Clarkson is winless in conference but they too looked good for a bunch of Saturday's game and have 7 wins out of conference. I think the ECAC really is much better from top to bottom.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.citymeals.org)
Date: December 11, 2015 12:09PM

There are a ton of ECAC/HE matchups this weekend with important pairwise implications. BU visits Yale and QU (the former game on ESPN3) while SLU and Vermont have a home-and-home. Even the Dartmouth/UNH and Union/Massachusetts games have some significance.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2015 01:26PM by Iceberg.

Date: December 11, 2015 12:18PM

Go ECAC.

Date: December 11, 2015 01:08PM

Iceberg
There are a ton of ECAC/HE matchups this weekend with important pairwise implications. BU visits Yale and QU (the former game on ESPN3) while SLU and Vermont have a home-and-home. Even the Dartmouth/UNH and Union/Merrimack games have some significance.

In theory one can watch the QPAC home games for free on the net. I've tried to watch the end of two games after watching Cornell and have found I can't get in. If interested you should tune in before the virtual rink is sold out.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 11, 2015 07:59PM

Iceberg
There are a ton of ECAC/HE matchups this weekend with important pairwise implications. BU visits Yale and QU (the former game on ESPN3) while SLU and Vermont have a home-and-home. Even the Dartmouth/UNH and Union/Massachusetts games have some significance.
1-0 BU mid-2nd

Yale ties at 1 and goes on 5-minute man-up with one minute left in 2nd

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2015 08:18PM by Al DeFlorio.

Date: December 11, 2015 08:17PM

1-1 now but Yale gets a 5-minute power play after a BU player gets a misconduct for boarding.

Edit: 2-1 Yale now. This game has radically changed in complexion.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2015 08:19PM by Iceberg.

Date: December 11, 2015 08:19PM

Iceberg
1-1 now but Yale gets a 5-minute power play after a BU player gets a misconduct for boarding.

Edit: 2-1 Yale now. The game has radically changed in complexion.
Yale scores within seconds, 2-1

Date: December 11, 2015 08:48PM

Yale and Union up 3-1 in the third. RPI up 4-0. Princeton, Dartmouth, and SLU all losing by cumulative 13-2 score, all in the third.

UMass ties Union at 3 mid-third; UHN with 5 goals on 14 shots against Dartmouth.

BU makes it 3-2 on a pp. 2:42 left

Princeton scores 3 quick ones in 3:17 to make it 4-3 PSU

Yale holds on 3-2

Union survives a major with 4 minutes left in regulation and wins 4-3 with 9 seconds left OT

Princeton and SLU lose and Dartmouth trails 5-2 with 12 minutes left after giving up 4 goals on first 6 UHN shots.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2015 09:23PM by Al DeFlorio.

Date: December 11, 2015 09:10PM

3rd-period BU seemed destined to tie the game. That team will be on a mission tommorow

Date: December 11, 2015 09:15PM

Iceberg
3rd-period BU seemed destined to tie the game. That team will be on a mission tommorow
Might be tired, too, against a fresh Q.

Date: December 12, 2015 09:52AM

Al DeFlorio
Yale and Union up 3-1 in the third. RPI up 4-0. Princeton, Dartmouth, and SLU all losing by cumulative 13-2 score, all in the third.

UMass ties Union at 3 mid-third; UHN with 5 goals on 14 shots against Dartmouth.

BU makes it 3-2 on a pp. 2:42 left

Princeton scores 3 quick ones in 3:17 to make it 4-3 PSU

Yale holds on 3-2

Union survives a major with 4 minutes left in regulation and wins 4-3 with 9 seconds left OT

Princeton and SLU lose and Dartmouth trails 5-2 with 12 minutes left after giving up 4 goals on first 6 UHN shots.

Interestingly they had an extra attacker as well.

Date: December 12, 2015 09:58AM

marty
Iceberg
There are a ton of ECAC/HE matchups this weekend with important pairwise implications. BU visits Yale and QU (the former game on ESPN3) while SLU and Vermont have a home-and-home. Even the Dartmouth/UNH and Union/Merrimack games have some significance.

In theory one can watch the QPAC home games for free on the net. I've tried to watch the end of two games after watching Cornell and have found I can't get in. If interested you should tune in before the virtual rink is sold out.

BU-Q is on SNY.

Date: December 12, 2015 04:48PM

Jim Hyla
marty
Iceberg

BU-Q is on SNY.

Thank you.

Date: December 12, 2015 08:02PM

2-1 BU early 2nd

Date: December 18, 2015 08:14PM

Believe or not, there is a league game this weekend, albeit on Sunday when Union heads up Route 7 to play Vermont in Burlington.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: December 18, 2015 11:27PM

Iceberg
Believe or not, there is a non-league game this weekend, albeit on Sunday when Union heads up Route 7 to play Vermont in Burlington.

FYP. Unless UVM decided to come back to the ECACHL.

Date: December 19, 2015 10:47AM

TimV
Iceberg
Believe or not, there is a non-league game this weekend, albeit on Sunday when Union Vermont heads up down Route 7 to play Vermont Union in Burlington Schenectady.

FYP. Unless UVM decided to come back to the ECACHL.

FYP(s).

Date: December 21, 2015 06:48AM

And despite all my errors, Union wins in overtime. They've been on a surge ever since Thanksgiving.

Date: December 28, 2015 07:07PM

Lowell skunks Clarkson, 3-0.

Date: December 28, 2015 07:12PM

Help is on the way for Colgate, conveniently after we have completed our pair with them.

Date: December 29, 2015 07:20PM

It's not even halfway through the 1st period and Princeton is being obliterated 4-0 at home by QU. And they have another game tomorrow in Hamden.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2015 07:21PM by Iceberg.

Date: December 30, 2015 09:25PM

At the tournament in Vermont...both ECAC teams lose, with Brown getting shutout by Lake Superior and Vermont taking out Colgate.

And then Princeton loses to QU again 4-3 after leading 3-1 after the 1st. The last 3 QU goals were in the 2nd period when Princeton was basically being dominated. I think shots were 19-2 at one point of that period.

Date: January 01, 2016 12:50PM

If anyone is interested, Harvard vs. Ferris is free on Gopher Sports at 5PM EST.

Date: January 02, 2016 05:50PM

Union leading Merrimack 3-1 in the 3rd period up in Hanover. Merrimack also gets to play Dartmouth tomorrow before they head to Ithaca next weekend.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2016 05:57PM by Iceberg.

Date: January 02, 2016 08:58PM

Free video of QPuke at Northeastern is available. Q losing 3-2 at this point.

Date: January 02, 2016 09:57PM

And that game ends in a tie. As bad as Northeastern's record is, that team does show up against good opponents.

Meanwhile, Clarkson loses to Bowling Green, which certainly doesn't help the conference OOC record; they play again tomorrow. Harvard is also currently hanging on to a 2-1 lead in the 3rd against the Gophers.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2016 09:58PM by Iceberg.

Posted by: jeff '84 (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 03, 2016 06:30PM

Iceberg
And that game ends in a tie. As bad as Northeastern's record is, that team does show up against good opponents.

Meanwhile, Clarkson loses to Bowling Green, which certainly doesn't help the conference OOC record; they play again tomorrow. Harvard is also currently hanging on to a 2-1 lead in the 3rd against the Gophers.

Harvard won in OT over Minny, and BROWN beat Providence in OT today...

Date: January 03, 2016 09:03PM

A very good day for the league's OOC record with every other team winning except for RPI (assuming Dartmouth doesn't choke).

Date: January 07, 2016 07:02AM

USCHO on Cornell.

Posted by: Iceberg (63.116.61.---)
Date: January 07, 2016 01:40PM

BU at Harvard later on today as well as some league games between Union and QU and RPI and Princeton.

Posted by: Cop at Lynah (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 07, 2016 09:27PM

Harvard gives up 3 goals in the last 4 minutes to give one away to BU

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 08, 2016 12:14AM

Cop at Lynah

...surprising absolutely no one.

Posted by: KeithK (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2016 12:35AM

andyw2100
Cop at Lynah

...surprising absolutely no one.
They're practicing for the Beanpot.

Date: January 08, 2016 03:58PM

Princeton quietly stole a point from RPI last night, opening up Cornell's gap from third in percentage a tad.

1 .909 Qpc
2 .812 Cor
3 .688 Hvd
4 .667 RPI
5 .643 SLU
6 .500 Yal

Date: January 08, 2016 07:20PM

Northeastern already with a 2-0 lead over St. Lawrence up in Canton and Princeton trailing Union 1-0 at home. Everything else is scoreless.

Date: January 09, 2016 08:04PM

QU up 4-0 over Harvard near the end of the 1st period at MSG. It seems like this edition of QU might be just as good if not better than the one that got to the national championship game.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2016 08:04PM by Iceberg.

Posted by: margolism (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 09, 2016 08:31PM

Q doing to Harvard what Ohio State did to us.

Date: January 09, 2016 09:07PM

margolism
Q doing to Harvard what Ohio State did to us.
Not any more: 4-3 Q leads late 2nd

Date: January 09, 2016 09:39PM

Folks at MSG ate getting their money's worth. Now tied with less than 10 minutes left.

Date: January 09, 2016 09:54PM

Going to overtime at MSG.

Date: January 09, 2016 09:56PM

And the WHRB announcer has no idea what he's talking about re: OT NCAA tie rules.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2016 09:56PM by Trotsky.

Date: January 09, 2016 10:00PM

Q 5-4 final

Date: January 09, 2016 10:02PM

So, the good news is Harvard drops a game:
1 .917 Qpc 
2 .812 Cor 
3 .667 RPI 
4 .643 SLU
5 .611 Hvd 
6 .500 Yal

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2016 10:04PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2016 09:05PM

marty
Folks at MSG ate getting their money's worth. Now tied with less than 10 minutes left.

A few friends and I decided to go last night for the experience of college hockey at MSG without the extreme emotional involvement. The reported attendance was around 12,000, but considering that a bunch of the lower bowl sections had a couple dozen people in them, I'd estimate the crowd to be in the 8-9K range. Completely inverted, as the upper bowl clearly had the most people, because that's where all the $25 seats were. Pricing was identical to Red Hot Hockey, $25, $50, $75, $125, $300. It's interesting to note that Harvard is charging $30 this year for the Lynah East game. During intermission, lines were very long upstairs, so I took the elevator downstairs and had no wait at concessions.

Under a careful scientific poll, Quinnipiac's bro-heim fans completely outnumbered Harvard's 6 jerk fans. I read that Yale turned down the offer to play Harvard at MSG for a third go-around, instead opting for a trip to Arizona, so QU was invited instead.

Both bands were much larger than they normally are, but were not mic'ed. Quinnipiac cheerleaders (eye-roll) were not present. During the first intermission, they had some sort of weird display demonstrating a bunch of activities people do on frozen water on different sections of the rink. There was curling, figure skating, sled hockey, and...other things. It was jumbled and confusing. 2nd intermission featured a good ol' pee-wee game. (Not, upon first inspection, more of the QU-Harvard game).

Mark Messier was there, and got big cheers when interviewed on the scoreboard, but Quinnipiac's president got a louder ovation.

Great game. Removing my own bias, the game was interesting as Harvard came back from that deficit. Replacing my bias, it was satisfying to see them lose, as always.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2016 09:13PM by RichH.

Date: January 12, 2016 08:32PM

SLU/Clarkson 1-1 headed into the 3rd in Potsdam. St. Lawrence hasn't looked to good recently.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.129.41.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: January 12, 2016 10:37PM

Final: Clarkson 3 - SLU(t) 1

Date: January 16, 2016 09:39AM

SLU loses again after Jimmy Vesey decides to score a hat trick in the third period of that game. They are sinking fast but still have Dartmouth today.

Date: January 16, 2016 09:42AM

Iceberg
SLU loses again after Jimmy Vesey decides to score a hat trick in the third period of that game. They are sinking fast but still have Dartmouth today.

And a natural hat trick, in about 5 min, at that.

Posted by: Trotsky (68.132.73.---)
Date: January 16, 2016 12:12PM

Jim Hyla
Iceberg

And a natural hat trick, in about 5 min, at that.

C.J. Young laughs.

Date: January 16, 2016 08:09PM

Speaking of Harvard, they're down 3-0 to Clarkson at home. They'll need a lot more heroics today. SLU also trailing Dartmouth but that's only 2-1 so far.

Date: January 21, 2016 07:31PM

RPI @ Qpac available with free video feed. No score after one.

The video link is here.

[www.quinnipiacbobcats.com]

Ice dancing and a 1-0 RPI lead at the second break.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2016 08:22PM by marty.

Date: January 22, 2016 09:56AM

Kasdorf came within 10 seconds of stealing another one last night.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 22, 2016 11:10AM

Trotsky
Kasdorf came within 10 seconds of stealing another one last night.

RPI's a team no one will want to see in the postseason, as Kasdorf is a real X factor

Date: January 23, 2016 08:37PM

Clarkson going for a 8-1-2 record at home currently leading Brown 3-0 headed into the 3rd. Yale leading SLU for now in nearby Canton. Of course, we'll see both of the North Country teams next week.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 23, 2016 10:11PM

Iceberg
Clarkson going for a 8-1-2 record at home currently leading Brown 3-0 headed into the 3rd. Yale leading SLU for now in nearby Canton. Of course, we'll see both of the North Country teams next week.

Must win away games in the North Country are not a good thing. But there we are. 7–3 over the last ten would nearly assure 4th. (This is not '96, basically because of the QU outlier.) Yet 7-3 over the last ten is going to be a tough row to hoe. 6-4 might cut it, but you can't count on it.

Even considering recent results, I think we're better than RPI and Dartmouth. And we match up well with Quinnipiac. We need to avoid getting woefully outshot against Clarkson and then really take it to a reeling SLU. Hopefully then a stolen tie at QU without blowing it vs. Princeton. Then it's basically .500 from there out, but circle the away game at Dartmouth and the home game vs. RPI. This is all not going to be easy.

Meanwhile, Harvard has become the team I don't want to see in the postseason at all. Even though I think they got away with a lot of nasty stickwork that should have been called, we're always going to give up a couple more power plays to them than we'll get. Their power play is a thing of beauty, and that's just one facet of the game that we don't match up well with them——period.

Gillam would have to become a goalie he isn't, i.e., a goalie who likes to hold onto the puck rather than control deflections and push the action; our defensive forwards would have to get a lot quicker; and our (very young) defensive corps would need to learn to push the puck like veterans. We're just not there. If we draw them in any round, we're going to lose, like to Yale of old.

(Thankfully, they'll be a very different team next year, and we'll probably be quite a bit better.)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2016 11:25PM by Scersk '97.

Date: January 23, 2016 10:21PM

If we keep falling behind we're not going 7-3.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: January 24, 2016 10:50AM

All season we've been doing a bit better than we've looked, to be honest. Past two weekends, we've underperformed how we looked on the ice.

Lost to RPI in a game where we were clearly outplaying them and Kasdorf stood on his head.
Tied Union in a game we should have won.
Lost to Dartmouth in a game where we didn't look great, but let's be honest, Dartmouth had two fluky goals and an empty netter.
Lost to Sucks in a game where we spent a lot of time in their zone and played pretty well against a very good team. None of our shots were on net. Also, their PP crushed us. But we didn't look outplayed by four goals in my opinion.

Date: January 29, 2016 08:44PM

Plenty of close games tonight. With the exception of SLU leading Colgate 2-0, every other game is either tied or within one goal.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 29, 2016 09:05PM

brown coughing up a 3-0 lead against RPI was too bad

Date: January 29, 2016 10:10PM

5-4 now in Hanover after Dartmouth had a 4-1 lead in the 3rd. It seems that QU has woken up and there's still plenty of time left.

Date: January 29, 2016 10:58PM

Iceberg
5-4 now in Hanover after Dartmouth had a 4-1 lead in the 3rd. It seems that QU has woken up and there's still plenty of time left.

7-5 final, for Q. Sheesh.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 30, 2016 02:13PM

Trotsky
Iceberg

7-5 final, for Q. Sheesh.

I would think that this can't continue all year. They do eventually have to get burned, don't they?

Re the RPI-Brown game. Brown's goalie, Tim Ernst, either isn't particularly good or had an off night. RPI can't come out that flat in the first period and have any hope vs. Yale this evening.

Date: February 01, 2016 07:31PM

Harvard can't help again. Loses to BC 3-2 in Beanpot.

Date: February 01, 2016 08:06PM

They never disappoint.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2016 10:34PM

Jim Hyla

Bean-pot Pat-sies *clap* *clap* *clap clap clap*

priceless
Date: February 08, 2016 05:46AM

Well, almost priceless.

Schenectady Gazette
SCHENECTADY — The hockey barn that Union calls home is getting more than a new coat of paint.

A video scoreboard, seating — with backs — that is closer to the boards and a new concession area are part of a $10 renovation plan for Messa Rink at Union College, officials said.

The college has approved fundraising to renovate the nearly 41-year-old facility, Union athletic director Jim McLaughlin said. There is no timetable yet for the project, in part because all the money will come from donations.

“It will be all fund-raised, just like the majority of our capital improvements on campus,” McLaughlin said.

The project is slated to include:

— A new video scoreboard.

— A new entrance across from Bailey Field.

— A new floor for the ice surface, along with new boards and glass.

— New coaches' offices.

— New seating. Many of the seats in the lower level will go right to the glass. The lower-level seats will have back support. The upper-level seating will be bleacher seats.

— A hospitality room that will look out not only at the rink, but Bailey Field....

Re: priceless
Posted by: dbilmes (32.218.125.---)
Date: February 08, 2016 02:12PM

marty
Well, almost priceless.

Schenectady Gazette
SCHENECTADY — The hockey barn that Union calls home is getting more than a new coat of paint.

A video scoreboard, seating — with backs — that is closer to the boards and a new concession area are part of a $10 renovation plan for Messa Rink at Union College, officials said.
For $10, they're getting a pretty good bang for their buck!

Re: priceless
Date: February 08, 2016 04:01PM

dbilmes
marty
Well, almost priceless.

Schenectady Gazette

For $10, they're getting a pretty good bang for their buck!

They did fix the typo sometime earlier today.twak

Posted by: RichH (134.223.230.---)
Date: February 08, 2016 06:19PM

RichH
Jim Hyla

Bean-pot Pat-sies *clap* *clap* *clap clap clap*

10 minutes left and Harvard down 4-1 5-1 to Northeastern. Not even a natural Vesey Hat-Trick can save them from another 4th place finish. Why does the league keep granting all their scheduling wishes so they can keep getting embarrassed in this silly Boston thing?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2016 06:20PM by RichH.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.129.41.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: February 08, 2016 07:31PM

And it's a final. NU 5, Sucks 1.

Date: February 08, 2016 09:17PM

Harvard has lost 3 of 4 and still has RPI, us, and then the North Country trip. The loss tonight dropped them to 11 in PWR. They may just blow it.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 09, 2016 11:51AM

Iceberg
The non-Ivy teams have already played a considerable amount of OOC games and RPI and Harvard swept their travel partners in league games last weekend. Everybody plays this weekend, including the two alleged favorites (Harvard and Yale). We'll see how long that lasts
The Harvard players are now through exams? Unscathed?

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: February 09, 2016 03:56PM

billhoward
Iceberg
The non-Ivy teams have already played a considerable amount of OOC games and RPI and Harvard swept their travel partners in league games last weekend. Everybody plays this weekend, including the two alleged favorites (Harvard and Yale). We'll see how long that lasts
The Harvard players are now through exams? Unscathed?

Unscathed. And, apparently, unsuspected.upto

Posted by: RichH (134.223.230.---)
Date: February 10, 2016 01:47PM

I didn't want to start a game thread for Saturday before Friday's, so I'll put this here:

The ECAC added an additional game suspension for Yale's top D-man, Rob O'Gara, adding onto the mandatory one-game suspension for the DQ he acquired vs. Harvard. That means he'll be out for the game at Lynah in addition to their game in Hamilton.

[www.collegehockeynews.com]

Date: February 12, 2016 09:20PM

Kasdorf shuts down Harvard with 49 saves. o_O

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2016 12:23AM

Weird stat.

PPChances/Game in ECAC

Cornell 2.7
Opponents 3.2

Take a look back through the collegehockeystats.net: both of these numbers are low by about a chance per game over the last few years and are part of a downward trend over the seasons available on the site.

What's going on with ECAC officiating? I thought that fewer penalties were being called this year. (I'd like to see more cross-checking called, by the way.)

Bring back Harry "the Arm!"

Date: March 09, 2016 06:38AM

Scersk '97
Weird stat.

PPChances/Game in ECAC

Cornell 2.7
Opponents 3.2

Take a look back through the collegehockeystats.net: both of these numbers are low by about a chance per game over the last few years and are part of a downward trend over the seasons available on the site.

What's going on with ECAC officiating? I thought that fewer penalties were being called this year. (I'd like to see more cross-checking called, by the way.)

Bring back Harry "the Arm!"

There were at least 2 significant issues that were brought into officiating over the last X years (I could look up when the clutch and grab issue was brought up, but I'm too lazy.)

The first was the emphasis on eliminating obstruction in order to have a faster more free flowing game. The second was the emphasis on cutting out hits that had potential for spinal injury, or concussions.

It took some time, and a lot of penalties, but I think the players have generally responded well. If players don't do it, then fewer penalties need to be called.

So that's my take, not based upon any research, just spouting off.

Date: March 10, 2016 02:35PM

Union USCHO thread has fans worried that UMass may be about to take a run at Bennett. I must admit I wouldn't mind seeing him gone as a step to returning Union to their natural habitat -- the cellar.

Date: March 11, 2016 10:05PM

The more I think about it, I could see Dartmouth winning again tomorrow. Aside from the regular season this year, they've typically given Yale fits. And Yale is basically in the NCAA tournament regardless of what happens I think.

Date: March 12, 2016 09:25PM

Yale loses again tonight despite outshooting Dartmouth by at least 30. Theoretically, Cornell would get Harvard if the stars aligned tomorrow since SLU/Clarkson would get Dartmouth barring a miraculous comeback by RPI.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2016 09:26PM by Iceberg.

Page: Previous1 2 3Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login