Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell vs Niagara 10/31

Posted by Trotsky 
Cornell vs Niagara 10/31
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 31, 2015 06:39PM

Cornell football is still on WHCU.

Re: Cornell vs Niagara 10/31
Date: October 31, 2015 06:54PM

Vanderlaan - Kubiak - Angello
Starrett - Freschi - Buckles
Hilbrich - Weidner - Tiitenen
Fiegl - Yates - Rauter

Wedman - Anderson
Willcox - McCarron
Bliss - McCrae

Gillam

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: October 31, 2015 07:00PM

Oooh… uniforms fugly!

EDIT: Oh, I see, they're the "name throwback" uniforms. Thank goodness.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2015 07:02PM by Scersk '97.

Date: October 31, 2015 07:03PM

ILDN video is up but no audio. Some hideous third jersey shit is going on.

Date: October 31, 2015 07:15PM

Angelo looks like a very good player.

Posted by: KeithK (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 01, 2015 04:41AM

Four goals tonight. More freshman scoring. Plus, Jeff Kubiak doubled equaled his freshman and sophomore goal output. Hopefully this is all a sign of good things to come and not just a sign of playing a bad Niagara team.

Posted by: margolism (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 01, 2015 02:06PM

The seven goals this weekend represents 12% of all of last season's scoring.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: November 03, 2015 12:39PM

took us what about 10 games to score 3 in a game last year?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 03, 2015 01:17PM

upprdeck

Last year we had 7 goals after 6 games (1-4-1). This year we have 7 after 2 (2-0-0). So far, so good.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2015 01:17PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: KeithK (---.216.65.86.rev.sfr.net)
Date: November 03, 2015 05:27PM

Trotsky
upprdeck

Last year we had 7 goals after 6 games (1-4-1). This year we have 7 after 2 (2-0-0). So far, so good.
Hopefully this year's early success owes more to team improvements (Paintball!) and less to scheduling a rather lousy Niagara team. We will see.

Posted by: Swampy (131.128.163.---)
Date: November 04, 2015 03:05PM

KeithK
Trotsky
upprdeck

Hopefully this year's early success owes more to team improvements (Paintball!) and less to scheduling a rather lousy Niagara team. We will see.

Well, when you look at how much scoring involves freshmen, another hypothesis is plausible, even probable. :-|

Posted by: KeithK (---.216.65.86.rev.sfr.net)
Date: November 04, 2015 06:59PM

Swampy
KeithK
Trotsky
upprdeck

Well, when you look at how much scoring involves freshmen, another hypothesis is plausible, even probable. :-|
I agree. The very early returns on the freshmen are quite positive. Hope springs eternal.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.scansafe.net)
Date: November 05, 2015 02:43AM

The other hypothesis is that we started with a weaker opponent this year instead of one from out west.

Time will tell.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 05, 2015 09:06AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
The other hypothesis is that we started with a weaker opponent this year instead of one from out west.

Time will tell.

Actually, based on very limited data, both may be true. With a weaker opponent, one would ordinarily expect better scoring across all classes. But if my impression is correct, this is the highest % of scoring from the freshman class in quite some time. It's also probably more goals and a greater goal differential than in past years.

I don't have time to look at the data, and data for this year are very limited, but surely we played comparably weak teams in past years. My sense is that in the past we typically went up by 1-2 goals, held the lead, and maybe scored an ENG at the end. Also, that upperclassmen did most of the scoring.

As Jeff indicated, we'll know more by Sunday morning.

Date: November 05, 2015 09:30AM

If I recall, didn't we lose early on to a weak Princeton team last year? Not sure if we were blanked or not, but I recall the loss.

Posted by: RichH (134.223.230.---)
Date: November 05, 2015 01:03PM

margolism
If I recall, didn't we lose early on to a weak Princeton team last year? Not sure if we were blanked or not, but I recall the loss.

Cornell lost at Princeton 2-1 the 2nd week of the season. Princeton scored in the 4th minute on the PP, and then notched an ENG in the final minute. CU got back within 1 with 16 seconds left on a scrum. The most frustrating part of that game was that CU dominated play and outshot PU 41-20. We did open the season on a roadtrip vs. a strong team, and got a 1-1 tie and a 2-1 loss vs. a UNO team that eventually made the Frozen Four.

[www.collegehockeynews.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2015 01:06PM by RichH.

Posted by: nshapiro (192.148.195.---)
Date: November 05, 2015 02:25PM

RichH
margolism

Cornell lost at Princeton 2-1 the 2nd week of the season. Princeton scored in the 4th minute on the PP, and then notched an ENG in the final minute. CU got back within 1 with 16 seconds left on a scrum. The most frustrating part of that game was that CU dominated play and outshot PU 41-20. We did open the season on a roadtrip vs. a strong team, and got a 1-1 tie and a 2-1 loss vs. a UNO team that eventually made the Frozen Four.

It was amazing how many Cornell shots hit the Princeton goalie right in the gut.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.scansafe.net)
Date: November 07, 2015 03:09AM

nshapiro
RichH
margolism

It was amazing how many Cornell shots hit the Princeton goalie right in the gut.

And that game hit me right in the gut. Set the unfortunate tone for the whole season.

Date: November 09, 2015 02:49PM

Jeff Hopkins '82

And that game hit me right in the gut. Set the unfortunate tone for the whole season.

And this is a weird thing: To me, last season didn't have this "what the hell is with this disastrous season" vibe until February. Yes, they started the season with 3 GF in the first 4 games, but by the time the December break hit, that slow start had been erased with a stretch of wins vs. Yale, Denver, and a shot-happy Penn State on the big stage. I mean, yeah, that was the high point of the season, but I felt more optimistic then than I do now.

January onward was just a model of inconsistency: that team last season swept the Union RS series, but was swept by Dartmouth. Took 3 points from a hyped-up Harvard, yet only got 1 from RPI. They posted 2 painful but encouraging last-minute 1-0 losses to the best team in the league, but also looked completely bulldozed by the surprising SLU. From mid-January to the end of the regular season, they didn't lose more than one game-in-a-row, but they didn't win more than one-in-a-row, either. I just felt if they could get on a 3 game winning streak, they could get that post-season confidence. That didn't happen. Through it all, they went into the last weekend of the regular season NEEDING wins (and still had a shot at a bye), and came away with an embarrassing Brown tie and got blown out at Yale. That last weekend was the only point I felt the wheels came off, setting up the terrible playoff exit. Remember, going into the final RS weekend, Gillam led the nation in GAA. The implosion of the last 4 games was the gut-punch for me.

This is why the entire hammering of the "worst season ever" and "loud personalities held us back" narratives seem weird, if not hollow to me.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2015 02:54PM by RichH.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 09, 2015 04:26PM

RichH
Jeff Hopkins '82

And this is a weird thing: To me, last season didn't have this "what the hell is with this disastrous season" vibe until February. Yes, they started the season with 3 GF in the first 4 games, but by the time the December break hit, that slow start had been erased with a stretch of wins vs. Yale, Denver, and a shot-happy Penn State on the big stage. I mean, yeah, that was the high point of the season, but I felt more optimistic then than I do now.

January onward was just a model of inconsistency: that team last season swept the Union RS series, but was swept by Dartmouth. Took 3 points from a hyped-up Harvard, yet only got 1 from RPI. They posted 2 painful but encouraging last-minute 1-0 losses to the best team in the league, but also looked completely bulldozed by the surprising SLU. From mid-January to the end of the regular season, they didn't lose more than one game-in-a-row, but they didn't win more than one-in-a-row, either. I just felt if they could get on a 3 game winning streak, they could get that post-season confidence. That didn't happen. Through it all, they went into the last weekend of the regular season NEEDING wins (and still had a shot at a bye), and came away with an embarrassing Brown tie and got blown out at Yale. That last weekend was the only point I felt the wheels came off, setting up the terrible playoff exit. Remember, going into the final RS weekend, Gillam led the nation in GAA. The implosion of the last 4 games was the gut-punch for me.

This is why the entire hammering of the "worst season ever" and "loud personalities held us back" narratives seem weird, if not hollow to me.

I get where you're coming from, but I never had a good vibe about last year's team, as they simply could not score with any regularity. While the sample size is small, I already feel better about this year's team.

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.ipyx-102276-zyo.zip.zayo.com)
Date: November 09, 2015 05:30PM

scoop85
RichH
Jeff Hopkins '82

I get where you're coming from, but I never had a good vibe about last year's team, as they simply could not score with any regularity. While the sample size is small, I already feel better about this year's team.
I don't know if I feel good about 2015-16 being successful yet but I definitely feel this freshman class means the program isn't about to go into a tailspin.

Date: November 09, 2015 06:23PM

ugarte
I don't know if I feel good about 2015-16 being successful yet but I definitely feel this freshman class means the program isn't about to go into a tailspin.

Early returns are definitely good. Usually I'm happy if we find a freshman just earn a spot on the top two lines.

I love the contributions so far, but I hope we don't get to a point of relying heavily on freshman scoring. These guys are getting their first look at this level of the physicality and grinding play our league tends to see. Not to mention that if Angello, Vanderlaan, & McCrea continue at this rate of success, they are going to get a lot more "attention" (shall we say) from keying opposing defenses. If they go too hard early on, I fear they could "hit the wall" come late January or worse yet, expose themselves to injury. Remember, they don't have the benefit of having a full year of Schafer-style strength and conditioning.

Kubiak, Willcox, and Bliss...fantastic start. They've been making things happen all over the ice. Let's get Hilbrich going and some contributions from a surprise source like Tiitinen, Rauter, or Yates. I'll feel better then.
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2015 06:37PM by RichH.

Date: November 09, 2015 08:19PM

My senior year was worst-season-ever.

Six wins.

Last year's team won almost 2x as many games.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: November 09, 2015 10:35PM

margolism
My senior year was worst-season-ever.

Six wins.

Last year's team won almost 2x as many games.

We've beaten this topic to death, back to life, and back to death again. But yeah, I do think it's easy to forget just how bad a really bad year looks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login