Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Women's Hockey 2015 - 2016 Season.

Posted by Rita 
Women's Hockey 2015 - 2016 Season.
Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: October 24, 2015 01:15PM

It's a new season. Deserves a New Thread.

Let's Go Red!!

Re: Women's Hockey 2015 - 2016 Season.
Posted by: ithacat (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: October 24, 2015 05:20PM

Looks like it's going to be a long season. BC looked very good, made us look like practice pylons for long stretches of play. Really need to recruit speed.

Posted by: profudge (172.79.153.---)
Date: October 24, 2015 11:29PM

Yes they thoroughly outplayed us this afternoon.

BC is one of the best teams in the country and with the best individual player in Alex Carpenter. BC came into this weekend 6-0 with Carpenter the highest scorer in Hockey Easy and with 209 career points including 101 goals after Friday night. We seemed to run out of energy in second game in less than 24 hours. BC had both team speed and some individual speed; but it was teamwork and accurate passing that did most of the damage. Alex had 3 goals on Saturday!

I am hoping as the women get a bit sharper and with better game endurance that we will still fight for top of ECAC although Clarkson looks very strong! They are 9-0 with sweeps of BU, New Hampshire, St Lawrence and Vermont.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: October 25, 2015 02:18PM

We got totally demolished because we were exhausted after Friday night and because Marlene Boissonault isn't as adjusted to NCAA-level play as Voorheis. We have a really solid defense corps and it looks like they will be expected to get deep in the offensive zone the way that former players like Laura Fortino and Alyssa Gagliardi were so effective at. Elite forwards like BC's Carpenter and Skarupa can rip most teams apart, but a fast/physical/smart opponent with good goaltending (like Harvard last year) can still beat BC. Despite the game outcomes this weekend, I remain pretty optimistic for the season. The biggest question to me is whether our talented-but-not-elite forwards can continue to develop into reliable point producers. An ECAC RS top-4 finish and NCAA berth are still reachable, though challenging, goals.

Posted by: ithacat (---.cbs.cornell.edu)
Date: October 26, 2015 04:54PM

imafrshmn
We got totally demolished because we were exhausted after Friday night and because Marlene Boissonault isn't as adjusted to NCAA-level play as Voorheis. We have a really solid defense corps and it looks like they will be expected to get deep in the offensive zone the way that former players like Laura Fortino and Alyssa Gagliardi were so effective at. Elite forwards like BC's Carpenter and Skarupa can rip most teams apart, but a fast/physical/smart opponent with good goaltending (like Harvard last year) can still beat BC. Despite the game outcomes this weekend, I remain pretty optimistic for the season. The biggest question to me is whether our talented-but-not-elite forwards can continue to develop into reliable point producers. An ECAC RS top-4 finish and NCAA berth are still reachable, though challenging, goals.

I hope you're right. I'll reserve a little of my optimism until I see more this weekend. The team looks to be the slowest it's been in years (first weekend might explain some of that). I thought Boissonnault looked pretty good in the first period and made some nice saves. It seemed BC exploited her 5 hole in the 2nd and 3d (but I haven't watched the goals over) and I'm sure she'll learn quickly from that game. It was BC's first road games of the season and they were impressive. I still feel that the team is struggling to exit its own zone and is having trouble finding players who can carry the puck out or string together 1-2 passes consistently for meaningful transition opportunities. Lots of questions still to be answered.

For a few years we were truly blessed and I'm struggling to adjust to a more normal outlook.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 26, 2015 05:38PM

ithacat
imafrshmn

I hope you're right. I'll reserve a little of my optimism until I see more this weekend. The team looks to be the slowest it's been in years (first weekend might explain some of that). I thought Boissonnault looked pretty good in the first period and made some nice saves. It seemed BC exploited her 5 hole in the 2nd and 3d (but I haven't watched the goals over) and I'm sure she'll learn quickly from that game. It was BC's first road games of the season and they were impressive. I still feel that the team is struggling to exit its own zone and is having trouble finding players who can carry the puck out or string together 1-2 passes consistently for meaningful transition opportunities. Lots of questions still to be answered.

For a few years we were truly blessed and I'm struggling to adjust to a more normal outlook.

I hope that's not true.

Posted by: mattj711 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 06, 2015 09:05PM

Nice 2-1 win over Princeton this evening thanks to Taylor Woods scoring two goals in the last 1:30 of the game, the first being short handed.

Date: November 09, 2015 07:05AM

Recruits, what a difference a few years makes.

Televised Women's Hockey 2015 - 2016
Posted by: RichH (134.223.230.---)
Date: November 11, 2015 03:37PM

ESPN3 will be airing streaming three women's games in 2016, according to this release:

Sport			Date		Opponent	Time
Women's Ice Hockey	1/8/2016	at Harvard	7:00 p.m.
Women's Ice Hockey	1/22/2016	CLARKSON	3:00 p.m.
Women's Ice Hockey	2/13/2016	at Yale		4:00 p.m.

Since they're also doing the Men's home game vs. Dartmouth on 1/22, that's a hockey double-header.

Redcast subscribers would have received access to these games anyway, but there will at least be professional announcers and production features on hand.

Anybody know if this means Redcast will be blacked out for these?
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2015 03:39PM by RichH.

Re: Televised Women's Hockey 2015 - 2016
Posted by: Weder (---.mycingular.net)
Date: November 11, 2015 03:56PM

ESPN3 frequently just streams the local production, so I'd expect those games to be what you'd usually get from Harvard, Cornell and Yale via their broadcasts. If I remember right, ESPN3 used the Clarkson feed for the ECAC semifinals and final last year.

Date: November 12, 2015 07:02AM

Considering the title of the article is "ESPN3 Picks Up 12 ILDN Simulcasts", I'd say we get the same broadcast. Also the article says, "all of which will also be simulcast on the Ivy League Digital Network". So I'd say we can also watch on ILDN.

Posted by: RichH (134.223.230.---)
Date: November 12, 2015 11:31AM

Jim Hyla
Considering the title of the article is "ESPN3 Picks Up 12 ILDN Simulcasts", I'd say we get the same broadcast. Also the article says, "all of which will also be simulcast on the Ivy League Digital Network". So I'd say we can also watch on ILDN.

Thanks, Jim. When I'm having a bad week, reading comprehension is the 2nd thing to go.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 12, 2015 09:23PM

RichH
Jim Hyla

Thanks, Jim. When I'm having a bad week, reading comprehension is the 2nd thing to go.
After memory, right? Wait, what?

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 15, 2015 08:03AM

Women beat SU 5-2, scoring 5 goals on 13 shots.

Date: November 17, 2015 07:13AM

Big game against Colgate tonight. How often have we said that in women's hockey, but they have to win and Colgate isn't a terrible team.

Date: November 17, 2015 09:24PM

Really frustrating game. Colgate's goals were of the flukey variety and the refs put their whistles in their pockets, with a couple egregious missed calls (except very quick whistles to stop play for 'gate's keeper). Our hockey has been fluid at times and disjointed at others. Colgate is decent this year but really shouldn't be ranked 11th. I believe we're still a better team than 'Gate, but we need to find some magic and fluidity. I am worried, though, that Coach Derraugh just doesn't have the horses for the team to be successful. Some players seem to be getting overly tired on their shifts, and our defensive zone strategy quickly reverts to "just get the puck out". As advertised, the defensemen are the team's strong suit this year, but Cass Poudrier has been the only one to consistently create offensive chances.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2015 09:25PM by imafrshmn.

Posted by: dag14 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 21, 2015 06:37PM

Women lose to Mercyhurst by a lot of goals on Friday night [1-5] and beat Mercyhurst by a lot of goals on Saturday afternoon [6-1]. I am not really sure why although we took a lot of stupid penalties Friday and the penalties seemed more balanced today.

Date: November 25, 2015 04:44PM

Cornellians in the NWHL.

Posted by: mattj711 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 28, 2015 03:19PM

Nice 4-2 win over BU this afternoon.

Date: November 28, 2015 04:23PM

Very good, gritty win over BU. It was a physical affair, as many of our matches against BU have been over the years. The refs called plenty of penalties on the Red, but we were able to limit BU's ability to generate scoring opportunities, especially after the first period which was sloppy for both teams. We got some good goaltending today out of Boissonnault--good rebound control, especially during the third period. I don't want to speak too soon, but we've just put together our best two performances of the year back-to-back against quality opponents...it's certainly encouraging!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2015 05:59PM by imafrshmn.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2015 04:32PM

Tomorrow's game against Vermont is webcast on CatamounTV at 3:50.

[www.nsnsports.net]

Date: November 29, 2015 06:37PM

Good result today with an efficient, comfortable, 4-0 win against a somewhat downtrodden Vermont Catamounts side to put us back at .500. Paula Voorheis returned to net for the first time since the superb 6-1 win over Mercyhurst on Saturday 11/21. She looked good out there and solidified her hold on the lead goaltender role. However, the coaching staff has mixed up the goaltending quite a bit this year, reflecting their unusual depth at the position. According to time played in net, Voorheis leads at 60%, freshman Boissonnault is at 25%, with Boughn and Moak splitting the rest 8% and 7%. Cassandra Poudrier had an awesome weekend, having a hand in 5 of our 8 goals (2G, 3A). Jess Brown continues to readjust to playing after a long hiatus due to injury, and it's great to see. She is looking better by the game and makes smart plays with the puck, while her speed and strength are still coming back. Taylor Woods also continues to impress with her gutsy performances, scoring critical goals, drawing penalties, blocking shots, and just being a complete player.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2015 04:21PM

Bunton, Hart, Poudrier Named To 2016 Nations Cup Roster

Date: December 04, 2015 10:53PM

Pretty good performance tonight against a fairly dangerous St. Lawrence team. We seemed to have the upper hand in quality of play for the most part and the 4-3 margin reflected the two teams' performances--with a little bit of luck, we could have won by a 2 or 3 goal margin or we could have easily been tied. Jess Brown is catching fire! She put together a hat trick tonight. Her first goal put the Red up 1-0, as she charged into the slot to receive a pass from Doering who was springing up the left half boards, and calmly one-timed it in. She scored her second to put us up 3-2 by dekeing out SLU's goalie and going five hole after sneaking into the slot on the power play to get a quick pass from Hanna Bunton at the point. Her third came at 6:42 in the 3rd, somehow cleaning up a rebound in traffic. Her offensive skills are clearly at a high level; she would fit in nicely with the BC's and the Minnies of the world and it's great to have her. Anna Zorn, Pippy Gerace, Taylor Woods, and of course Cassandra Poudrier were also standouts tonight for me.

Meanwhile in Potsdam, Colgate came up with an upset victory over the Golden Knights with an insane goal batted out of the air by Shae Labbe that Shea Tiley couldn't quite stop, swatting it in with the back of her outstretched glove just 12 seconds into OT! It should be an intense battle tomorrow at Cheel. I expect it to be a tough battle, with Clarkson probably outshooting us. Shea Tiley clearly had a sub-par (for her high standards) outing tonight, so it will be interesting to see how she plays against us. I think it's possible that Boissonault goes in net for us tomorrow night, although Voorheis has started in all of our ECAC games so far this year and seems the odds-on choice in net again.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2015 10:57PM by imafrshmn.

Posted by: RichH (---.mycingular.net)
Date: December 04, 2015 11:08PM

Wonderful report, Freshman. Thank you. Two great wins on the road vs. BU and SLU. This team is amazingly sitting behind half the league in the polls, but there's still great talent there. If they can figure out the D & G, they have reason to surprise. I expect a loss at Clarkson in a battle, but there's a lot of fight to come from them.

Date: December 05, 2015 05:09PM

Just past the halfway point at Cheel and it's not looking promising for the Red, down 3-0. Clarkson are making us look a step slow today; they've been fully able to play the possession game and eventually came up with the goods to get it past Voorheis after a scoreless first period. After a timeout, we opened up our play a bit, finishing the final third of the period with some better chances. It's going to take a special 3rd period to get back into this one.

Voorheis headed for the bench before the 5 minute mark in the 3rd, down 4-0--Derraugh always shows faith in the team and rolls the dice.

Clarkson did a great job of taking us off our game today, giving us very few good opportunities to score. Like the men's team, I think this women's team relies on playing with the lead to feed their transition game. I imagine it's especially true on the road, especially in the second game of a weekend set.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2015 05:58PM by imafrshmn.

Date: December 08, 2015 01:15AM

In Women's Hockey alumni news, the Calgary Inferno (with Jenner, Saulnier, Campbell, Cudmore) recently played Toronto to a 6-5 loss on Sunday. Natalie Spooner, perhaps Team Canada's best player in the past few years (I think of her as the Canadian version of Hillary Knight), scored an incredible 5 goals and assisted on the other one! Campbell scored a goal, Cudmore had a goal and an assist, Jenner had 2 assists, and Saulnier had 3 assists.

On Saturday, the same teams played the first of the weekend set, with Calgary winning 9-5! Spooner had 2G... Jenner 2A, Saulnier 1G, Cudmore 2G+1A, Campbell 1A. Great to see that these ladies are still lacing up the skates and playing well. As a side note, Matt Moulson's sister Shannon (who played for Niagara University) plays for Toronto now.

[cwhl_site.stats.pointstreak.com]
[cwhl_site.stats.pointstreak.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2015 01:17AM by imafrshmn.

Posted by: dbilmes (32.218.120.---)
Date: December 19, 2015 07:10AM

Interesting article about concussions in women's hockey. Former Cornell star Digit Murphy is quoted in it, and Cornell was one of only two schools with women's hockey teams to respond completely to survey from NY Times about concussion protocols, etc.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2016 06:31PM

Cornell beats Dartmouth 5-3 in Hangover,

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 31, 2016 01:53PM

RPI highlight video [www.youtube.com].

Posted by: peteritism (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2016 02:12PM

ursusminor
RPI highlight video [www.youtube.com].

I didn't notice this until I edited the highlights together last night, but after Woods picks her stick up, she passes it to herself with the stick upside-down then quickly flips it around to make the goal. Fantastic stick work.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2016 04:42PM

While the men's team is understandably subject to much scrutiny, after watching some of the women's game yesterday, the question must be asked: what's happened to the talent? After the years of watching Johnston, Jenner and Saulnier, the lack of big-time players on this years' team is striking.

Date: February 01, 2016 07:23AM

scoop85
While the men's team is understandably subject to much scrutiny, after watching some of the women's game yesterday, the question must be asked: what's happened to the talent? After the years of watching Johnston, Jenner and Saulnier, the lack of big-time players on this years' team is striking.

Yes, it's sad to think that they may not even make the playoffs. And that Colgate, Colgate, could get home ice in 1/4s. thud

Date: February 27, 2016 08:42AM

Not our women, but Quinnipiac Overcomes two Goal Deficit to Beat RPI. They did it by out-shooting RPI 60-7.

Posted by: profudge (172.79.38.---)
Date: February 27, 2016 03:19PM

Cornell up 2-0 in the first period !! Streaming video from Clarkson is available.

Posted by: profudge (172.79.40.---)
Date: February 27, 2016 03:29PM

End of 1st period 2-1 Cornell. LGR

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 27, 2016 06:50PM

Jim Hyla
Not our women, but Quinnipiac Overcomes two Goal Deficit to Beat RPI. They did it by out-shooting RPI 60-7.
Game two reached the 2nd OT with the same result and a similar SOG total. :(

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login