Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Re-Sign or Resign

Posted by Towerroad 
Re-Sign or Resign
Posted by: Towerroad (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 06, 2015 07:58AM

Poll
85 votes were received.
All visitors can vote.
What performance would justify resigning?

Cornell does the unexpected, they ask their supporters what they think. You are called into Andy Noel's office and asked. "If you were in my shoes what performance this season would justify resigning Coach Schafer?

Re: Re-Sign or Resign
Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: October 06, 2015 01:24PM

I'd ask him, what are my other choices?

Posted by: Towerroad (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: October 06, 2015 01:49PM

Trotsky

What choice would you like?

Posted by: CAS (---.sub-70-192-74.myvzw.com)
Date: October 06, 2015 02:09PM

If Andy gave an extension to a basketball coach who has won 1/3 of his games during his 5-yr tenure, do you really believe Mike won't be back? Btw Mike's 20-year record at Cornell is 375-222-77.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2015 02:12PM by CAS.

Date: October 06, 2015 02:11PM

Towerroad
Trotsky

What choice would you like?

More than a pig in a poke.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: October 06, 2015 02:52PM

CAS
If Andy gave an extension to a basketball coach who has won 1/3 of his games during his 5-yr tenure, do you really believe Mike won't be back? Btw Mike's 20-year record at Cornell is 375-222-77.
Richie Moran's career coaching record is even more lopsided at 257-121, with a period of practically uncontested dominance in the 70's. There's no question, however, that it was time for him to go by the time it finally happened in 1997.

Posted by: CAS (---.sub-70-192-74.myvzw.com)
Date: October 06, 2015 02:58PM

Richie's teams went 15-38 during his last 4 years. Mike's teams went 62-49-21 during his last 4 years.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 06, 2015 04:12PM

I just want to know how many times, with how many variations of this theme, are we going to bring this up, when we have no new data. I did a quick search and since last March found at least 4 different threads that mainly dealt with this subject. Has anyone got any new info since last season? If not, do we expect people will have different feelings now, compared to before. It sure doesn't look like it.

Date: October 06, 2015 05:02PM

Jim Hyla
I just want to know how many times, with how many variations of this theme, are we going to bring this up, when we have no new data. I did a quick search and since last March found at least 4 different threads that mainly dealt with this subject. Has anyone got any new info since last season? If not, do we expect people will have different feelings now, compared to before. It sure doesn't look like it.
It's the off-season. What do you expect us to do? Our jobs?

Posted by: KeithK (---.public.wayport.net)
Date: October 06, 2015 05:54PM

Kyle Rose
CAS
Richie Moran's career coaching record is even more lopsided at 257-121, with a period of practically uncontested dominance in the 70's. There's no question, however, that it was time for him to go by the time it finally happened in 1997.
Maybe so. But if thagt's true why was it so clear? (I;m curious whether you can make a good analogy here and I don't recall the situation at all.)

Posted by: Towerroad (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 07, 2015 07:15AM

Trotsky
Jim Hyla
It's the off-season. What do you expect us to do? Our jobs?
For the past few years, I have done a the "what are your expectations" poll at the beginning of the season and then asked if they were met at the end. I have also run the "should he stay or shoud he go end of season poll for the past few years. It is my intent with the "Re-Sign or Resign" to track beginning of the season to end of season support.

It is interesting that at the beginning of the season it looks like about half of the readers are willing to contemplate a change that is significantly higher than in the past. Coming off some mediocre seasons, with declining attendance, and a coaching contract that is expiring this could be an important year for the program

So, as Trotsky says, What do you want us to do? Our jobs?

Date: October 07, 2015 02:02PM

Towerroad
It is interesting that at the beginning of the season it looks like about half of the readers are willing to contemplate a change that is significantly higher than in the past. Coming off some mediocre seasons, with declining attendance, and a coaching contract that is expiring this could be an important year for the program

I think it's a big year for Mike, anyway. Even though I caucus with the "you'll pry my Schafer from my cold dead hands" party, something he said in the wake of last season bothered me. Paraphrasing, he summed up the travails of the season as "we had players who never bought into our system, so we're going to go out and find kids who will."

Now, on the face of it, that is one explanation for the lack of success. It's even an explanation for the lack of success for the past four years. But is it plausible? I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 07, 2015 09:44PM

its something you cant find out until the kids really get here.. some years its worse and last year was one of those years

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 08, 2015 09:02AM

I'm hoping he can find a way to re-instill discipline in this team....

I'd like to, once again, be able to brag about a Cornell team, whose players would see a scrum developing, drop their arms to their sides and skate away... That's what they often did during Mike's early days at Cornell. Now, they have to push & shove & yap until they end up in the penalty box.. Not smart hockey!! And I expect it keeps Mike awake at night trying to figure out how to stop it... And, you KNOW these players have to be smart enough to avoid this crap... But, they do it anyway. It makes me crazy just to watch the foolishness of it all....

-Ned Harkness

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login