Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Recruits 2016 and Beyond

Posted by Trotsky 
Page: Previous12 3 4Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Recruits 2016 and Beyond
Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 08, 2017 03:38PM

abmarks
Jim Hyla
andyw2100
I'm by no means defending the kid. You can't go around shoving refs. But to be fair, it looked like the kid shoved the ref about as hard as the ref had shoved the kid, and the ref just happened to fall. It's not as if the kid punched the ref in the face or something.

Yeah, knowing me, I might have done the same thing as the kid. Refs certainly can't shove players without good justification. I didn't see it here. If it wasn't for the boards, the kid might have fallen, just like the ref.

I actually wish that the kid kept his cool and reported the ref. But as I said, I'd have a chance that I'd do the same.

Actually you should re-watch the video. The ref had grabbed a piece of jersey to steer the kid away from mid-ice and over to the penalty box - and that should be OK for a ref to do I'd think. The kid then throws an elbow back at the ref in what looks like an attempt to get the ref to let go of the jersey. The ref's "shove" of the kid happens right after that - and watching it a few times it's really more like a gentle push in the direction of the box. it's just a little arm motion- the legs don't even change.

But when the kid turns around he puts his whole body into it and throws a two-handed shove that is basically a cross-check minus the stick.

Sorry, the kid is a punk and 100% at fault. That was enough for a multiple game suspension in men's rec leagues I played in. He should definitely be suspended in a high school setting.

I have watched the video several times. I agree the kid deserves whatever punishment ensued simply for shoving the ref. My main point was that the fact that the ref fell made it look more dramatic than it was.

If you look closely, you can see the kid put his hands on the right side of the ref, and the ref was turning as he fell. I think the fall was due more to the ref being off-balance than due to the force of the shove. The fall made the whole incident appear more dramatic. That's my point.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: February 09, 2017 09:15AM

the fact the kid was dragged and pulled most of the way, makes it appear he may have been a bit out of control too.

oh well both have to take some blame.. of course its a hockey game the kid hit the wall 10x harder i suspect during the actual game

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2017 12:50PM

andyw2100
My main point was that the fact that the ref fell made it look more dramatic than it was.

Ref embellishment???wtf Hey! Weidner! Show him how it's done...

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 15, 2017 03:04PM

Jack O'Leary 2019 [www.usphl.com]

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2017 04:18PM

ursusminor

Let's hope he fills out a bit...

Jack O'Leary #97·F
Date of Birth 03/28/2000
Height 5'6
Weight 125

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2017 07:31PM

abmarks
ursusminor

Jack O'Leary #97·F
Date of Birth 03/28/2000
Height 5'6
Weight 125
Good thing he's speedy.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 16, 2017 12:43PM

ursusminor
From the name, we stole one from BC, BU and the Beanpot.

Posted by: marty (104.129.194.---)
Date: February 16, 2017 12:44PM

billhoward
ursusminor

Be thankful he isn't named Oh Cleary.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2017 01:20PM

Al DeFlorio
abmarks
ursusminor

Jack O'Leary #97·F
Date of Birth 03/28/2000
Height 5'6
Weight 125
Good thing he's speedy.

According to this report from Jeff Cox of SBNation Hockey last September, he's grown a bit:

Jack O’Leary, #7 PAL Islanders, 5-9/150, 3/28/00, Left Wing, Shoots Left - He’s the offensive catalyst for his team. He’s quick and the puck goes through him to make plays.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: February 16, 2017 03:26PM

Al DeFlorio
abmarks
ursusminor

Jack O'Leary #97·F
Date of Birth 03/28/2000
Height 5'6
Weight 125
Good thing he's speedy.

Between my 16th and 22nd birthdays I grew 5 inches. Which, if you know me, is a damn good thing.

Date: February 16, 2017 03:31PM

scoop85
Al DeFlorio
abmarks
ursusminor

Jack O'Leary #97·F
Date of Birth 03/28/2000
Height 5'6
Weight 125
Good thing he's speedy.

According to this report from Jeff Cox of SBNation Hockey last September, he's grown a bit:

Jack O’Leary, #7 PAL Islanders, 5-9/150, 3/28/00, Left Wing, Shoots Left - He’s the offensive catalyst for his team. He’s quick and the puck goes through him to make plays.

Heisenberg's got him up to 5-10 160. He'll run 6-9 325 at this rate.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2017 03:31PM by Trotsky.

Date: February 16, 2017 03:34PM

billhoward
ursusminor
He's from Smithtown, so it was either us or Colgate.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: February 16, 2017 03:50PM

Trotsky
scoop85
Al DeFlorio
abmarks
ursusminor

Jack O'Leary #97·F
Date of Birth 03/28/2000
Height 5'6
Weight 125
Good thing he's speedy.

...which would make him slightly below average size for Cornell, according to most ECAC play-by-play announcers.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2017 04:07PM

Beeeej
Trotsky
scoop85
Al DeFlorio
abmarks
ursusminor

Jack O'Leary #97·F
Date of Birth 03/28/2000
Height 5'6
Weight 125
Good thing he's speedy.

...which would make him slightly below average size for Cornell, according to most ECAC play-by-play announcers.
And he'd no longer be speedy.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2017 05:36PM

scoop85

Coincidentally sounds a lot like the hoped-for savior of the lacrosse team- Jeff Teat. Chain 'em both to the Nautilus machines and bring 'em their steaks twice a day.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2017 07:16PM

TimV
Chain 'em both to the Nautilus machines and bring 'em their steaks twice a day.
Solid dating advice.

Posted by: ithacat (---.cbs.cornell.edu)
Date: February 17, 2017 09:14AM

billhoward
ursusminor

In two years he'll be heading to Notre Dame.

Date: February 17, 2017 10:42AM

ithacat
billhoward
ursusminor

Fuck you because that is so true. flipd

Posted by: ithacat (---.cbs.cornell.edu)
Date: February 17, 2017 01:57PM

Trotsky
ithacat
billhoward
ursusminor

Fuck you because that is so true. flipd

My only joy in this is 27-1-1-2-30.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: February 20, 2017 11:11AM

ithacat
Big loss. Limoges was the cornerstone of the class. Never really understood his commitment as I don't see the point in skilled forwards coming to Cornell as long as Mike is in charge...still, it was nice to dream.

I should know better than to feed the trolls, but the false assumption being made here is that the lost commits no longer wanted to come to Cornell. Circumstances outside of the control of the coaching staff, the school, the kids, and their families dictated the changes, nothing more. So crawl back under that rock, ithacat, before you make yourself sound even more stupid.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: February 20, 2017 11:13AM

CowbellGuy
ithacat
Big loss. Limoges was the cornerstone of the class. Never really understood his commitment as I don't see the point in skilled forwards coming to Cornell as long as Mike is in charge...still, it was nice to dream.

I should know better than to feed the trolls, but the false assumption being made here is that the lost commits no longer wanted to come to Cornell. Circumstances outside of the control of the coaching staff, the school, the kids, and their families dictated the changes, nothing more. So crawl back under that rock, ithacat, before you make yourself sound even more stupid.

Also, we are currently third in the ECAC in scoring (in league play). Nothing to sneeze at.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2017 11:46AM

Dafatone
CowbellGuy
ithacat

Also, we are currently third in the ECAC in scoring (in league play). Nothing to sneeze at.

God bless you!

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 20, 2017 12:47PM

CowbellGuy
ithacat

It would be interesting to have a program, not that I'm asking you to do it:-D, that would parse out whether comments are negative or not. It sure seems like some posters are predominantly negative. Fortunately this season seems to have minimized some of the Schafer can't change posters. Some, unfortunately can't, or won't change. But those of us who are more positive did win the "Annual Home Stretch Contest"bananabananabanana

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2017 04:31PM

CowbellGuy
ithacat

I had assumed that these "decommitments" were not the result of a change of heart by the respective players. Ithacat's comment made little sense given the way the team has played this year.

Date: February 20, 2017 08:21PM

scoop85
I had assumed that these "decommitments" were not the result of a change of heart by the respective players. Ithacat's comment made little sense given the way the team has played this year.
I have assumed the decommits were (1) kids who really wanted to come but couldn't get admitted, and (2) kids who used us as a backup plan and then a better option came through.

The former are typically the kids who wind up at other schools; the latter are the kids who wind up taking a different route like junior A (which would mean they were years away when they committed anyway).

Posted by: ugarte (---.80-243-255-121.cable.only.fr)
Date: February 20, 2017 08:51PM

CowbellGuy
Circumstances outside of the control of the coaching staff, the school, the kids, and their families dictated the changes, nothing more.
what the hell is left?

Date: February 20, 2017 09:27PM

ugarte
CowbellGuy
Circumstances outside of the control of the coaching staff, the school, the kids, and their families dictated the changes, nothing more.
what the hell is left?

I think what is left is that the player changed his mind because he liked another program. That's how I'm reading this.

Date: February 21, 2017 08:43AM

ugarte
CowbellGuy
what the hell is left?
Girlfriend transfers.

In the case of the women's team read that as "Girlfriend transfers."

I keed, I keed.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2017 08:44AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: February 21, 2017 12:47PM

marty
ugarte
CowbellGuy
what the hell is left?

I think what is left is that the player changed his mind because he liked another program. That's how I'm reading this.

Then you're reading it wrong.

Date: February 21, 2017 04:52PM

CowbellGuy
marty
ugarte
CowbellGuy
what the hell is left?

Maybe the kid is not smart enough to get into Cornell. That does happen.

Coaches pursue kids who seem to be smart enough to get in, but as they progress in their education, guess what, their grades and scores don't make it.

If so, there are other places that'll take them.

I don't have any idea if that's what happened.

Date: February 21, 2017 04:59PM

Jim Hyla
CowbellGuy
marty
ugarte
CowbellGuy
what the hell is left?

Coaches pursue kids who seem to be smart enough to get in, but as they progress in their education, guess what, their grades and scores don't make it.

IIRC this is what happened to John McCarron's insanely talented brother, by his own laughing admission. He was committed to Cornell, he took his entrance exams (do Canadians take SATs or do they have some maple syrup and snowmobiling test or something?), got his scores back and tweeted "Welp -- Plan B it is! :)"

Poor guy. He had to settle for being drafted in the 1st Round by the Canadians.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2017 05:02PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (74.118.218.---)
Date: February 21, 2017 05:37PM

Trotsky
RatushnyFan
Penn State is just crushing it in terms of grabbing AYHL (mostly NY/NJ/CT) talent. Sternschein, Paquette, Crespo, Dowd, Gratton, Goldowski, Agriogianis and Barratt all grew up playing for AYHL teams. Barratt is freakishly good, he's one to watch. Agriogianis is the hardest working youth hockey player I've ever seen. I've seen all of them play except Crespo.
That's amazing. How? Are you a scout? A youth coach?
Not sure if you're being sarcastic.......:-). I have multiple boys who play AAA hockey in the atlantic youth district. My oldest son is off to prep school. He's hoping to play for Cornell. We will see!

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 21, 2017 06:00PM

its has only been a recent thing that many of the colleges at cornell have started to change admission policies.. some had a bias towards athletes that greatly affected who was getting in.. whether this caused issue for hockey i dont know, but several profs were called out for making it hard to some coaches to compete.

Date: February 21, 2017 06:00PM

I didn't check if this is new.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2017 07:07PM

upprdeck
its has only been a recent thing that many of the colleges at cornell have started to change admission policies.. some had a bias towards athletes that greatly affected who was getting in.. whether this caused issue for hockey i dont know, but several profs were called out for making it hard to some coaches to compete.

????????

Do tell.

Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2017 09:20PM

Trotsky
Jim Hyla
CowbellGuy
marty
ugarte
CowbellGuy
what the hell is left?

IIRC this is what happened to John McCarron's insanely talented brother, by his own laughing admission. He was committed to Cornell, he took his entrance exams (do Canadians take SATs or do they have some maple syrup and snowmobiling test or something?), got his scores back and tweeted "Welp -- Plan B it is! :)"

Poor guy. He had to settle for being drafted in the 1st Round by the Canadians.

I don't know what Canadians do, but John McCarron and his family are from Michigan.

Date: February 21, 2017 09:22PM

ursusminor
I didn't check if this is new.

Rayhill is a prep freshman D from near Utica. Already 5-10 despite being 15. Not a lot of info out there though he was invited to the USA Hockey development camp.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2017 09:27PM by Trotsky.

Date: February 22, 2017 09:05AM

Interesting. My son's prep school played Gunnery twice this year and split with them. Can't say that I recall Rayhill standing out but he's a 2001 playing mostly against 1998 and 1999 players, that's impressive. Not that many 2001s playing with the big boys.

Posted by: scoop85 (50.122.249.---)
Date: February 22, 2017 12:09PM

Yeah, I would imagine it's not common for Freshmen to play varsity at the elite prep programs
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2017 12:11PM by scoop85.

Date: February 22, 2017 01:42PM

RatushnyFan
Not that many 2001s playing with the big boys.
Which reminds me, we are now perilously close to our first post-9/11 recruit. We're inside of 6 months now.

I'm going to be 40 years older than these little bastards soon. "Luke, I am your grandfather." starwars

Date: February 22, 2017 01:59PM

I have a 2003, he'd be glad to commit. The way college commitments work these days maybe we'll announce it next week. My 6'4" 2001 d-man might be a better fit though. :-)

I had to train myself to stop saying "Luke, I am your father" with my best Vader falsetto because my 2003 has a teammate named Luke (awkward!).starwars
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2017 02:06PM by RatushnyFan.

Date: February 25, 2017 10:28AM

Cam Donaldson is one of 3 finalists for BCHL rookie of the year as voted by the league coaches

Date: February 25, 2017 10:45AM

scoop85
Cam Donaldson is one of 3 finalists for BCHL rookie of the year as voted by the league coaches
32-36-68 in 53 games. EP shows him at 5-6 126. Um. OK. Put him with Starrett and Tschantz.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2017 10:46AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: profudge (50.108.193.---)
Date: February 25, 2017 11:15PM

collegehockeyinc's db link lists him at 5' 8" and 160 as a right shot center in first year in Juniors.

Posted by: marty (199.168.151.---)
Date: February 28, 2017 10:12AM

Trotsky
Nobody show this to Mike:

Neglect not the sound. The final line appears to be "Betcha that's a proud moment for a parent."

Moving up in age with attack at Broome.

Date: February 28, 2017 12:48PM

marty

It was nice to see the other players go to the fallen ref and see if he was okay.

Date: February 28, 2017 01:06PM

Jim Hyla
marty

It was nice to see the other players go to the fallen ref and see if he was okay.

And one of the players on the same team as the guy who hit the ref helped the other ref "subdue" him.

Date: March 01, 2017 04:38PM

So a new recruit with a unique backstory:

Song, a defenseman, is a 2015 6th round pick of the Islanders. Oddly he hasn't recorded a point or an assist this season in over 35 games with the Madison Capitols of the USHL, so I don't think we're looking at the next Yanni Kaldis.

Date: March 01, 2017 06:34PM

I suspect our first prospect to have a Wikipedia page.

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2017 10:24PM

ANDONG SONG China
a.k.a. "Misha Song"
Open print friendly window (pop-up) views: 51470

BIRTHYEAR 1997-01-31 BIRTHPLACE Beijing, CHN
AGE 20 NATION China
POSITION D SHOOTS L
HEIGHT 185 cm / 6'1" WEIGHT 82 kg / 181 lbs
NHL DRAFT 2015 round 6 #172 overall by New York Islanders

New Banner Eliteprospects
© Photo: Dan Hickling

CAREER STATISTICS Use/Embed statistics RSS feed
SEASON TEAM LEAGUE GP G A TP PIM +/- POST GP G A TP PIM +/-
2012-13 Lawrenceville School USHS 24 3 5 8 - |
2013-14 Lawrenceville School USHS 17 0 7 7 - |
New Jersey Rockets 16U AYHL 16U 10 1 0 1 0 |
Beijing Ice Hockey C China - - - - - |
China U18 WJC-18 D2B 5 0 0 0 2 -4 |
2014-15 Lawrenceville School A USHS 26 3 7 10 - |
Beijing Ice Hockey C China - - - - - |
China U18 C WJC-18 D2B 5 0 2 2 16 -1 |
2015-16 Phillips Andover USHS 27 1 7 8 - |
2016-17 Madison Capitols USHL 37 0 0 0 6 -5 |
2017-18 Cornell Univ. NCAA - - - - - |

2016-17 AHL/ECHL/USHL/WHL/OHL/QMJHL stats powered by HockeyTech

CAREER TOTALS
GP G A TP PPG PIM +/- GP G A TP PPG PIM +/-
Regular Season Postseason
AYHL 16U: 10 1 0 1 0.10 0 0 |
China: 0 0 0 0 - 0 0 |
NCAA: 0 0 0 0 - 0 0 |
USHL: 37 0 0 0 0.00 6 -5 |
USHS: 94 7 26 33 0.35 0 0 |
WJC-18 D2B: 10 0 2 2 0.20 18 -5 |

Posted by: cuhockey93 (148.177.1.---)
Date: March 02, 2017 03:29PM

FWIW HFBoards pretty much calls Song a publicity draft pick that will have a tough time even dressing at Cornell.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-70-198-41.myvzw.com)
Date: March 02, 2017 03:50PM

Do teams really make publicity picks?

The Islanders might.

Posted by: profudge (50.108.193.---)
Date: March 02, 2017 03:51PM

Hey the Islanders drafted him - they must see some potential.
He worked his way through 4 years of prep academics and hockey and got mostly A's. His goal is to play in the NHL.

I look forward to watching him develop at Cornell!

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.ipyx-102276-zyo.zip.zayo.com)
Date: March 02, 2017 03:59PM

cuhockey93
FWIW HFBoards pretty much calls Song a publicity draft pick that will have a tough time even dressing at Cornell.
In the 6th round? The Islanders are not the *best* organization but that would be nuts.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 02, 2017 06:58PM

at least at cornell if he doesnt dress it really doesnt cost us a roster spot

Posted by: BearLover (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 02, 2017 10:57PM

Yeah, don't understand why a team would make a publicity pick in the sixth rather than seventh round (or why it would make a publicity pick at all, for that matter).

Posted by: CU2007 (160.254.108.---)
Date: March 03, 2017 08:44AM

upprdeck

honest question, what does this mean?

Date: March 03, 2017 11:50AM

CU2007
upprdeck

I think it means that since we don't have athletic scholarships there's no limit, theoretically at least, as to how many players can be recruited to be a member of any particular Cornell team.

Date: March 03, 2017 12:04PM

scoop85
CU2007
upprdeck

I think it means that since we don't have athletic scholarships there's no limit, theoretically at least, as to how many players can be recruited to be a member of any particular Cornell team.
This is also theoretically true for the factory schools. Their only limit is on the number of scholies, but Thurston Howell IV can always walk-on.

Date: March 03, 2017 01:52PM

Trotsky
scoop85
CU2007
upprdeck

This is also theoretically true for the factory schools. Their only limit is on the number of scholies, but Thurston Howell IV can always walk-on.

Yet I think that Thurston's alma mater attracts more than a fair share of Gilligans as do Princeton and Yale. Kudos to our recruiters and financial aid office.

Date: March 03, 2017 01:59PM

marty
Yet I think that Thurston's alma mater attracts more than a fair share of Gilligans as do Princeton and Yale. Kudos to our recruiters and financial aid office.

An elephant never forgets.

Date: March 03, 2017 07:05PM

Trotsky
scoop85
CU2007
upprdeck

There is a limit as to how many players can get scholarship money. I don't recall what it is and it is quite high, but you cannot give 180 players 0.1 scholarship each.

Date: March 03, 2017 07:39PM

ursusminor
There is a limit as to how many players can get scholarship money. I don't recall what it is and it is quite high, but you cannot give 180 players 0.1 scholarship each.
I thought it was full only now, but I may be thinking about football. IIRC factory coaches were f-cking guys over with 1/4 scholies and like that.

Posted by: lgt9292 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 03, 2017 10:31PM

I saw this and it just brought me back to a few years ago when Clarkson had a 4 year backup goalie named Cody Rosen, the Islanders picked him in the 7th round, his father was quite wealthy and was a walk-on at Clarkson, pretty sure his father had ties within the organization as well.

His hockeydb - [www.hockeydb.com]
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2017 10:33PM by lgt9292.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2017 12:14AM

Trotsky
ursusminor
I thought it was full only now, but I may be thinking about football. IIRC factory coaches were f-cking guys over with 1/4 scholies and like that.
ScholarshipStats.com says that the 18 full-scholarship-equivalents can be divided among up to 30 players in D-I ice hockey.

Date: March 04, 2017 02:20PM

David Harding
Trotsky
ursusminor
ScholarshipStats.com says that the 18 full-scholarship-equivalents can be divided among up to 30 players in D-I ice hockey.
There is a lot of interesting material on that page. I am quite surprised that the 25% and 75% marks for Math SATs given there for RPI are the same as for Cornell and Dartmouth. I expected RPI to be lower although probably that is the case for the verbal marks (or whatever they are called now). I also suspect that the RPI women scored higher than the men based purely upon the fact that more of the RPI women major in technical fields.

I also note that like our current President, Union doesn't find it necessary to divulge such information. :-D
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2017 02:28PM by ursusminor.

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 04, 2017 11:11PM

ursusminor
David Harding
Trotsky
ursusminor
There is a lot of interesting material on that page. I am quite surprised that the 25% and 75% marks for Math SATs given there for RPI are the same as for Cornell and Dartmouth. I expected RPI to be lower although probably that is the case for the verbal marks (or whatever they are called now). I also suspect that the RPI women scored higher than the men based purely upon the fact that more of the RPI women major in technical fields.

I also note that like our current and previous Presidents, Union doesn't find it necessary to divulge such information. :-D

Fixed your post....:-D

Date: March 05, 2017 04:11AM

redice
ursusminor
David Harding
Trotsky
ursusminor

I also note that like our current and previous Presidents, Union doesn't find it necessary to divulge such information. :-D

:-P

I think that I misinterpreted the SAT scores. It is probably for the general student body, not just hockey players. While I am still surprised that RPI's scores are as high as they are, my comment that more women major in technical fields at RPI probably wouldn't apply to the general student body. QU's are by far the worst in the ECAC.

Date: March 05, 2017 08:13AM

ursusminor
redice
ursusminor
David Harding
Trotsky
ursusminor

:-P

I think that I misinterpreted the SAT scores. It is probably for the general student body, not just hockey players. While I am still surprised that RPI's scores are as high as they are, my comment that more women major in technical fields at RPI probably wouldn't apply to the general student body. QU's are by far the worst in the ECAC.

I agree with you URSA. I was looking at these last night after you posted and can't believe that the scores are those of the hockey teams. 800 math SAT scores for 25% of any college hockey team is of Bizarro World.

Posted by: BearLover (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 05, 2017 01:46PM

This Cody Rosen story is wild. Here's an article about him and a few other publicity picks. But the Isles taking Song in the 6th round makes no sense--I checked, and they had a 7th round pick that year. Unless they thought it would be too obvious if they took him in the 7th round?

Date: March 05, 2017 09:01PM

Fun thing about Song: with his inclusion we now have a 2015 draft pick, which fills the only draft year in the prior 6 in which we drew a blank.

Posted by: adamw (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 05, 2017 11:35PM

BearLover
This Cody Rosen story is wild. Here's an article about him and a few other publicity picks. But the Isles taking Song in the 6th round makes no sense--I checked, and they had a 7th round pick that year. Unless they thought it would be too obvious if they took him in the 7th round?

The Cody Rosen thing was one of the dumbest things Garth Snow ever did - and he's done a zillion of them.

Don't put anything past Garth Snow to do something completely ridiculous. Including taking a publicity pick in the 6th round - let alone taking one at all.

Posted by: Hooking (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 07, 2017 09:27AM

Some new coaches, particularly coaches of teams new to D-1 hockey, sign swarms of top-shelf recruits. Gadowsky is a recent example. Cornell once had such a coach. Is this mainly because school administrations accommodate a wider academic range of applicants or is it mostly the new coach's magnetic personality?

Date: March 07, 2017 10:00AM

Hooking
Some new coaches, particularly coaches of teams new to D-1 hockey, sign swarms of top-shelf recruits. Gadowsky is a recent example. Cornell once had such a coach. Is this mainly because school administrations accommodate a wider academic range of applicants or is it mostly the new coach's magnetic personality?
In Olden Times they were just able to strong-arm admissions. My impression of those great teams throughout D-1 in the 50s and 60s is they all had their share of SEC functional illiterates.

I haven't noticed it in recent years, though maybe early in a coach's tenure he has legacy prospects from the old staff plus he concentrates on his own search. Maybe guys he has had on his radar with his prior team he now brings along to his new squad, the result being a larger pool to draw his first tier final choices from?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2017 10:00AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 07, 2017 10:12AM

Hooking

Gadowsky in particular is an example of why this tends to happen with new Div. I programs, because Penn State has an enormous commitment to athletics and was willing to throw a ton of money at a new hockey program, including facilities and scholarships. The combination was obviously quite powerful.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Push
Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-209-143.myvzw.com)
Date: March 07, 2017 12:14PM

marty
Trotsky
Nobody show this to Mike:

Neglect not the sound. The final line appears to be "Betcha that's a proud moment for a parent."

And another:
[www.collegehockeynews.com]

Re: Push
Date: March 07, 2017 12:26PM

marty
And another:
[www.collegehockeynews.com]

Video here:

[www.sbncollegehockey.com]

Watching that video, I really don't see what Borgen did warranting a two-game suspension. He was basically knocking the official's hand off, and went a little further and pushed his shoulder a bit. Yes, of course I realize players can't do that to officials, but a two game suspension just seems overly harsh.

It also looks like he apologized instantaneously, almost as if the shoulder contact was accidental. (I could be mistaken about that.)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2017 12:29PM by andyw2100.

Date: March 15, 2017 09:32AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2017 09:35AM by ursusminor.

Date: March 15, 2017 10:14AM

ursusminor

Here's the press release.

"McGrath has been the go-to guy for Clayton coached teams over the past few years, advancing to the Telus Cup in 2016 with the Midget AAA Bobcats before starting 43 games for the Jr. A Bobcats this season, finishing with a .905 save percentage. His solid performance between the pipes earned him a nomination for the league’s Rookie of the Year award, as well as recognition as the team’s MVP, Academic Athlete of the Year, and Rookie of the Year.

**IN THE PICTURE: On Saturday evening Austin met with Joe Nieuwendyk at the Leafs Alumni after party."

Date: March 15, 2017 11:33AM

Date: March 16, 2017 08:59AM

Alex Limoges tweeted that he has committed to Penn State.

Date: March 16, 2017 09:13AM

scoop85
Alex Limoges tweeted that he has committed to Penn State.
Yup, that shoe dropped a while ago. IIRC he was considered a very good prospect. C'est la vie.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 17, 2017 01:34PM

Penn State, Penn State, Penn State........grabbing a lot of kids who would have been ECAC bound.

Posted by: RichH (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2017 01:42PM

RatushnyFan
Penn State, Penn State, Penn State........grabbing a lot of kids who would have been ECAC bound.

Giant State School Jock Factories...Once they notice that there are other sports they can throw their huge stash of money and resources towards, that means our community of Clarksons, Lake Superiors, and Colorado Colleges will have fewer opportunities to compete.

Of course, I've been saying this for nearly twenty years, and we still have Union and Providence winning championships, so... I don't know anything.

Date: March 20, 2017 08:39AM

As we celebrate the present here's some promising news for the future:

Lots of great incoming talent from the always-strong BCHL. Goalie Matthew Galajda of Victoria has been stellar in two playoff series so far, going 5-2 with a 1.57 GAA and a .952 save percentage. In an intriguing matchup for Cornell fans, the Grizzlies are tied 1-1 in the 2nd round against Powell River and Galajda's future Cornell teammates Cairns, Donaldson, Betts and Mullin. In game 1 (a 3-2 Powell River OT win), Galajda stopped 56 of 59(!) shots in the loss; Cairns had an assist while the other future Cornellians went scoreless. In game 2 Galajda pitched a 4-0 shutout, stopping all 30 shots. Given Powell River's potent offense (thanks in large part to the Cornell recruits), Galajda is putting on quite a show. Game 3 is tonight in Powell River.

Galajda and Donaldson received league accolades for the regular season, with Galajda named runner-up for the league's player of the year (25-10-2 record with a 2.33 GAA and .926 save percentage), while Donaldson was named rookie of the year after finishing the regular season with 32 goals and 37 assists in 54 games. Mullin finished with a stellar 36 G, 34 A, while Betts line was 22 G 24 A. Forward Michael Regush from Merritt of the BCHL went 14 G 22 A in only 47 games in the regular season, and has 6 points in 6 playoff games.

Donaldson, who is listed at 5'8" 163 lbs, may be coming to Ithaca next fall as per both his BCHL bio and according to Big Red Puckhead; Heisenberg still shows him as a 2018 recruit, but that timeline may have been accelerated, perhaps due to his success this year. Donaldson will be 19 in July, so age shouldn't be an issue.

In the USHL (where, unfortunately, we lost our two promising forward prospects) incoming defenseman Cody Haiskanen of Fargo has 4 G and 19 A for the season and was name USHL defenseman of the week for the week of February 20th. Defenseman Alex Green of Lincoln has a goal and 14 assists with a plus-8 rating. And since his recent commitment to Cornell defenseman Andong Song of Madison recorded his 1st 2 assists of the season!

In the OJHL forward Brendan Locke had 46 points in 38 regular season games for Coburg, and has 7 points (1 G, 6 A) in 5 playoff games. Defenseman Peter Muzyka (matriculating in 2019) of North York had 17 points in 54 regular season games, and has 1 assist through 5 playoff games.

In the AJHL (where Malott and Bauld played last season), new goalie recruit Austin McGrath of Lloydminster saw a ton of rubber and had a 3.53 GAA and .905 save percentage playing for a last place team. Heisenberg lists him as a 2018 recruit, while BRP's website indicates that he's coming next fall. Foward Liam Motley of Whitecourt, who's committed for 2018, had 39 points in 39 games. The first part of the season he had 15 points in 18 games for Camrose.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.sub-70-209-142.myvzw.com)
Date: March 20, 2017 09:53AM

scoop85

Thanks, god I love eLynah.

Date: March 20, 2017 10:52AM

scoop85

Lots of great incoming talent from the always-strong BCHL. Goalie Matthew Galajda of Victoria has been stellar in two playoff series so far, going 5-2 with a 1.57 GAA and a .952 save percentage. In an intriguing matchup for Cornell fans, the Grizzlies are tied 1-1 in the 2nd round against Powell River and Galajda's future Cornell teammates Cairns, Donaldson, Betts and Mullin. In game 1 (a 3-2 Powell River OT win), Galajda stopped 56 of 59(!) shots in the loss; Cairns had an assist while the other future Cornellians went scoreless. In game 2 Galajda pitched a 4-0 shutout, stopping all 30 shots. Given Powell River's potent offense (thanks in large part to the Cornell recruits), Galajda is putting on quite a show. Game 3 is tonight in Powell River.

Galajda and Donaldson received league accolades for the regular season, with Galajda named runner-up for the league's player of the year (25-10-2 record with a 2.33 GAA and .926 save percentage), while Donaldson was named rookie of the year after finishing the regular season with 32 goals and 37 assists in 54 games. Mullin finished with a stellar 36 G, 34 A, while Betts line was 22 G 24 A. Forward Michael Regush from Merritt of the BCHL went 14 G 22 A in only 47 games in the regular season, and has 6 points in 6 playoff games.

Donaldson, who is listed at 5'8" 163 lbs, may be coming to Ithaca next fall as per both his BCHL bio and according to Big Red Puckhead; Heisenberg still shows him as a 2018 recruit, but that timeline may have been accelerated, perhaps due to his success this year. Donaldson will be 19 in July, so age shouldn't be an issue.

In the USHL (where, unfortunately, we lost our two promising forward prospects) incoming defenseman Cody Haiskanen of Fargo has 4 G and 19 A for the season and was name USHL defenseman of the week for the week of February 20th. Defenseman Alex Green of Lincoln has a goal and 14 assists with a plus-8 rating. And since his recent commitment to Cornell defenseman Andong Song of Madison recorded his 1st 2 assists of the season!

In the OJHL forward Brendan Locke had 46 points in 38 regular season games for Coburg, and has 7 points (1 G, 6 A) in 5 playoff games. Defenseman Peter Muzyka (matriculating in 2019) of North York had 17 points in 54 regular season games, and has 1 assist through 5 playoff games.

In the AJHL (where Malott and Bauld played last season), new goalie recruit Austin McGrath of Lloydminster saw a ton of rubber and had a 3.53 GAA and .905 save percentage playing for a last place team. Heisenberg lists him as a 2018 recruit, while BRP's website indicates that he's coming next fall. Foward Liam Motley of Whitecourt, who's committed for 2018, had 39 points in 39 games. The first part of the season he had 15 points in 18 games for Camrose.

Great job, thank you very much for putting this together.

Here is a summary of all the commits.

BRPH has listed 5F, 3D, and 2G coming in the fall to replace 4F, 2D and 2G graduating. I'm not sure we have room for a net +2 in depth (which will feel like a +3 with Bliss returning) so perhaps this indicates that some incomers will be delayed or a player on the present squad may not return.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2017 11:01AM by Trotsky.

Date: March 21, 2017 12:57PM

Last night's BCHL playoff update:

Powell River beat Victoria 2-1 to take a 2-1 series lead. Future Cornellians Cam Donaldson and Kyle Betts scored the PR goals in the 3rd period, with current and future teammate Tristan Mullin assisting on Betts' goal. Matthew Galajda (the BCHL player of the week for the week ending March 19th) stopped 33 of 35 shots for Victoria.

Merritt's Michael Regush scored a goal in a 5-1 win over Penticon. Defenseman Joe Leahy of Penticon was scoreless. Penticon leads the series 2-1.

Date: March 22, 2017 07:22AM

Victoria evened the series with Powell River 2-2 with a 5-4 OT victory. Matt Galajda stopped 29 of 33 shots for the win, while Powell River's Kyle Betts had 2 goals and Cam Donaldson had 1. Tristan Mullin and Matt Cairns were scoreless.

Penticon defeated Merritt 2-1 in OT to take a 3-1 series lead. Neither Penticon's Joe Leahy nor Merritt's Michael Regush had any points.

Date: March 24, 2017 07:55AM

Last night's BCHL playoff update:

Powell River beat Victoria 3-0 to take a 3 games to 2 lead in the series. Kyle Betts scored a goal just 11 seconds into the game of an assist from Tristan Mullin. Cam Donaldson assisted on PR's second goal. Defenseman Matt Cairns did not get on the score sheet. Matt Galajda stopped 23 of 26 shots in the loss.

Merritt beat Penticon 5-4 to stay alive in the series; Penticon now leads 3 games to 2. Michael Regush was scoreless for Merritt, while defenseman Joe Leahy had an assist for Penticon.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.cws.sco.cisco.com)
Date: March 24, 2017 08:29AM

Out of curiosity, Scoop85, do you live in BC?

Date: March 24, 2017 08:50AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Out of curiosity, Scoop85, do you live in BC?

Far from it--I'm in the Hudson Valley.

I'm just getting the results from the BCHL website

Date: March 24, 2017 12:15PM

Posted by: Weder (---.public.wayport.net)
Date: March 24, 2017 12:24PM

ursusminor

Any relation to Angela?

Posted by: Tom Lento (199.201.64.---)
Date: March 24, 2017 07:14PM

Weder
ursusminor

Any relation to Angela?

Same question. Also, is she anywhere near as good? If so, that's an amazing pickup for Coach Derraugh. Angela Ruggiero was absolutely dominant when she was with Harvard. I remember watching one Cornell/Harvard game at Lynah where Cornell was better when Ruggiero was on the bench but couldn't do much of anything when she was on the ice. It seemed like she played 40+ minutes that game. Cornell lost.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2017 07:20PM

Tom Lento
Weder
ursusminor

Any relation to Angela?

Same question. Also, is she anywhere near as good? If so, that's an amazing pickup for Coach Derraugh. Angela Ruggiero was absolutely dominant when she was with Harvard. I remember watching one Cornell/Harvard game at Lynah where Cornell was better when Ruggiero was on the bench but couldn't do much of anything when she was on the ice. It seemed like she played 40+ minutes that game. Cornell lost.

I did some digging. Pretty sure there's no relation.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 25, 2017 11:52PM

scoop85
So a new recruit with a unique backstory:

Song, a defenseman, is a 2015 6th round pick of the Islanders. Oddly he hasn't recorded a point or an assist this season in over 35 games with the Madison Capitols of the USHL, so I don't think we're looking at the next Yanni Kaldis.
As of this evening Song has two assists (on 3/3 and 3/17). His +/- is -8. His team is in 7th place of 9 teams in the Eastern Conference of the USHL.
If he'd announced a few months earlier, I could have checked him out. We have a USHL team 15 minutes from home.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2017 11:55PM by David Harding.

Date: March 26, 2017 12:22PM

BCHL playoff update:

Merritt has battled back from to even its series with Penticon at 3-3 with a 2-1 OT win on Friday. Michael Regush had an assist on the game-winning goal, while Penticon D Joe Leahy was scoreless.

Victoria likewise evened its series with Powell River at 3 games apiece with a 4-2 win yesterday. Matt Galajda stopped 38 of 40 Powell River shots in the win, while Cam Donaldson had a goal and Matt Cairns added an assist for Powell River.

Game 7's for both series will be tomorrow night. For those really looking to fill their hockey fix, you can buy a monthly pass for the BCHL games at BCHL.FASTHOCKEY.COM. A one-month pass is a hefty $29.99. It does not appear you can pay for single games, but I could be wrong.

Date: March 28, 2017 09:29AM

Last night, Matt Galadja stopped 36 of 37 shots as Victoria defeated Powell River 2-1 in double OT to win their series 4 games to 3. Cam Donaldson had an assist on the lone Powell River goal, while Tristan Mullin, Kyle Betts and Matt Cairns were scoreless. Victoria moves on to play Chilliwack in the next round.

In the other series of interest, Penticon defeated Merritt 6-2 in game 7 of that series. Defenseman Joe Leahy did not score for Penticon, while Michael Regush was scoreless for Merritt in his final game there. Penticon will play Vernon in the next series.

The Cornell-bound players have acquitted themselves well in the playoffs, with Galadja really standing out. I've got to believe he'll give Stewart a battle for the starting spot in net next season.

Date: March 28, 2017 12:20PM

scoop85
Last night, Matt Galadja stopped 36 of 37 shots as Victoria defeated Powell River 2-1 in double OT to win their series 4 games to 3. Cam Donaldson had an assist on the lone Powell River goal, while Tristan Mullin, Kyle Betts and Matt Cairns were scoreless. Victoria moves on to play Chilliwack in the next round.

In the other series of interest, Penticon defeated Merritt 6-2 in game 7 of that series. Defenseman Joe Leahy did not score for Penticon, while Michael Regush was scoreless for Merritt in his final game there. Penticon will play Vernon in the next series.

The Cornell-bound players have acquitted themselves well in the playoffs, with Galadja really standing out. I've got to believe he'll give Stewart a battle for the starting spot in net next season.
Thank you again for doing these. It is exciting to read up on our future! :)

Page: Previous12 3 4Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.