Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Red Hot Hockey (Screw BU!)

Posted by LynahFaithful 
Red Hot Hockey (Screw BU!)
Posted by: LynahFaithful (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: July 10, 2015 12:32PM

It's never too early to start a thread for this! How will things go this year?

Points worth noting:

1 - Jack Eichel goes to the NHL. This is definitely a benefit to us, and I doubt BU will have someone to replace him, but definitely stay alert.

2 - Cornell graduated some pretty good talent which hopefully will be filled by rising players and the incoming class. On the other end, BU only had three seniors this past season so there's not much being changed. I think this point goes in favor of BU

3 - BU is coming off of being a runner-up at the national championship.

4 - Schafer will be "returning to old ways" so hopefully that will accelerate more offensive power this season for Cornell.

Overall,I believe these points favor BU, but I feel it will be a bit rocky for them at first with the loss of Jack Eichel. Hopefully Cornell will be stimulated from last year's sub-standard season and the rising classes will fill the talent lost to get things going!

Any other points worth noting? What do you all think?

Re: Red Hot Hockey (Screw BU!)
Posted by: RichH (134.223.230.---)
Date: July 10, 2015 01:17PM

At that point, BU will have played about twice as many games as Cornell. I'd like to think that we would be in-stride after 8 games, however.

BU has a Tuesday night game vs. Bentley after a home series vs. Michigan and Cornell has a full week of rest after playing on the road at Yale/Brown.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 20, 2015 06:37AM

Reasonable place to post this USCHO article on Travis Roy.

At least the NCAA has helped him.

What has made the biggest difference is that Boston University was part of the NCAA’s catastrophic insurance policy. As a result, Travis’ long-term, around-the-clock care is covered, which is far from the norm for quadriplegics.

“I do have 24-7 home care year round,” he says. “So I can do what I want and when I want with the help of that care. That’s been a major relief.

“It’s not my mom and my dad that’s getting me up and ready for the day or my sister or my friends. That’s what most people with this condition have to deal with. It becomes very [overwhelming] for family and friends.

“And if it’s not family and friends doing it, it’s limited hours [of care] through the state and Medicare and Medicaid. Home care is not a pretty business, quite frankly.”

Read more: [www.uscho.com]

Re: Red Hot Hockey (Screw BU!) - tix availability
Posted by: billhoward (---.sub-70-192-75.myvzw.com)
Date: November 18, 2015 01:25PM

Not sure how Cornell's ticket allocation is going, but as a BU parent/friend we just got offered seats in row 4 (corner) for $70 via a BU blast e-mail.

Re: Red Hot Hockey (Screw BU!) - tix availability
Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 18, 2015 02:32PM

billhoward
Not sure how Cornell's ticket allocation is going, but as a BU parent/friend we just got offered seats in row 4 (corner) for $70 via a BU blast e-mail.

Looking at the pricing and seating chart here:

[cornellbigredtickets.universitytickets.com]

it looks as if Cornell may have offered similar seats for $77 at one time.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 23, 2015 12:44PM

Article in Newsday.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 23, 2015 02:53PM

ursusminor
Article in Newsday.

Written by Neil Best '82 (known as Neil Fidelman while at Cornell)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2015 02:55PM by scoop85.

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.ipyx-102276-zyo.zip.zayo.com)
Date: November 23, 2015 02:56PM

ursusminor
Article in Newsday.
OK, fine. Fire Schafer.

Date: November 23, 2015 05:15PM

ugarte
ursusminor
Article in Newsday.
OK, fine. Fire Schafer.

Funny how, since the season started, those threads haven't been very active.

Unfortunately the rest of your post doesn't show, so don't anybody get the wrong idea.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 23, 2015 09:20PM

Of course Madison Square Garden has been a name in use well before Conn Smythe ever conceived the idea of Maple Leaf Gardens in the 1920-30's. Anyone who pays enough attention to the NHL won't make that kind of error.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2015 09:21PM by Iceberg.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 23, 2015 09:32PM

Iceberg
Of course Madison Square Garden has been a name in use well before Conn Smythe ever conceived the idea of Maple Leaf Gardens in the 1920-30's. Anyone who pays enough attention to the NHL won't make that kind of error.

Meaning Coach Schafer doesn't pay enough attention to the NHL?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 23, 2015 09:49PM

Iceberg
Maybe the nittiest of nitpicks.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: November 24, 2015 09:11AM

there have been multiple Madison square gardens, i think even multiple ones at the same time if i remember history not all at the same location and were there not also multiple arenas in the same building at one time?

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (161.185.161.---)
Date: November 24, 2015 10:56AM

upprdeck
there have been multiple Madison square gardens, i think even multiple ones at the same time if i remember history not all at the same location and were there not also multiple arenas in the same building at one time?

There are multiple Madison Square Gardens right now. How do you know the Big Red players don't cavort here before or after games?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 24, 2015 11:06AM

Greenberg '97
upprdeck

There are multiple Madison Square Gardens right now. How do you know the Big Red players don't cavort here before or after games?
Because they're at the libraries and museums, of course.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.citymeals.org)
Date: November 24, 2015 11:57AM

upprdeck

You're exactly right. The current one is the 4th edition, but the first two were located at Madison Square Park (23rd St. and 5th Ave/Broadway), hence the name. I just thought it was odd to use the plural more than anything, rather than any desire to be a serious nitpicker.

Date: November 24, 2015 12:07PM

I'm sure it's hard-wired into his Canadian brain, like "colour" or "aboot." Americans probably say "Maple Leaf Garden."
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2015 12:08PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: November 24, 2015 12:18PM

Trotsky
I'm sure it's hard-wired into his Canadian brain, like "colour" or "aboot." Americans probably say "Maple Leaf Garden."
Bostonians have a form of this as well: for some reason, they pronounce "FleetCenter" as "The Garden".

Date: November 24, 2015 12:47PM

Kyle Rose
Trotsky
Bostonians have a form of this as well: for some reason, they pronounce "FleetCenter" as "The Garden".

And well they should, catering to us old fogies. demented

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: November 24, 2015 01:54PM

Jim Hyla
Kyle Rose
Trotsky

I think you're looking at this the wrong way. I never had the benefit of attending a game live at the old Boston Garden, but I've seen enough video to know that the current arena is nothing like the Garden was. The Garden was legendary.

Date: November 24, 2015 02:15PM

Kyle Rose
Jim Hyla
Kyle Rose
Trotsky

I think you're looking at this the wrong way. I never had the benefit of attending a game live at the old Boston Garden, but I've seen enough video to know that the current arena is nothing like the Garden was. The Garden was legendary.

It hasn't been named "FleetCenter" in over a decade. It's been "TD Garden" since 2009 and I'm OK with people dropping the bank's name in conversation.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.citymeals.org)
Date: November 24, 2015 03:59PM

Of course there's still an active NHL player who played in the Boston Garden. I'm sure many of us here know who he is.

Date: November 24, 2015 04:21PM

Iceberg
Of course there's still an active NHL player who played in the Boston Garden. I'm sure many of us here know who he is.
There has to be more than one, because there's at least one guy who played in the NHL for 4 years while Boston Garden was still running.

Date: November 24, 2015 04:38PM

Greenberg '97
upprdeck

From [en.wikipedia.org]

"Tex Rickard, the noted entrepreneur and boxing promoter who built and operated the third Madison Square Garden, sought to expand his empire by building a series of seven "Madison Square Gardens" around the country."

Maybe Schafer has an insane, grandiose scheduling plan?

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 25, 2015 07:45AM

Will there be any broadcast of the event? Audio? Video? TV?

wtf

Date: November 25, 2015 08:03AM

Johnny 5

wtf

Only on WHCU, I think.

Date: November 25, 2015 08:08AM

Jim Hyla
Johnny 5

wtf

Only on WHCU, I think.

Rats! I was hoping the MSG channel might cover it.

blush

Posted by: cbuckser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 25, 2015 01:16PM

Johnny 5
Jim Hyla
Johnny 5

wtf

Only on WHCU, I think.

blush

In past years in which the game at MSG was not televised, the schools were given the scoreboard "feed" to broadcast on their webcasting platforms.

Usually, we'd get an announcement about that a week or so before the game. But we haven't gotten one yet.

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: November 25, 2015 02:25PM

Kyle Rose
Trotsky
Bostonians have a form of this as well: for some reason, they pronounce "FleetCenter" as "The Gahden".

Fixed your post. :-D

Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: November 25, 2015 03:42PM

If this is true about no telecast of the game, it will be nice not to have any TV timeouts. Last week's game at Yale would have been over in 2 hours if it hadn't gone to overtime.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 25, 2015 04:15PM

cbuckser
Johnny 5
Jim Hyla
Johnny 5

wtf

Only on WHCU, I think.

blush

In past years in which the game at MSG was not televised, the schools were given the scoreboard "feed" to broadcast on their webcasting platforms.

Usually, we'd get an announcement about that a week or so before the game. But we haven't gotten one yet.
ILDN shows webcast starting at 8pm est on Saturday.

Date: November 25, 2015 04:19PM

Al DeFlorio

Dumb question: when there is video is there always "production"? It's not like the cameras are automated -- somebody has to be operating them and if there is more than one angle somebody somewhere is deciding when to cut to camera 2. Does the building management actually provide that as a service? Do the schools get an IC to do it? Does a techie from the audio crew do it?

Date: November 25, 2015 04:25PM

Al DeFlorio
cbuckser
Johnny 5
Jim Hyla
Johnny 5

wtf

Only on WHCU, I think.

blush

That is brand new from this AM. When I got to work this AM, I checked and nothing was listed. Since I have to work this holiday, I'm happy.banana

Edit: It's also now listed as video on CU's schedule, which it wasn't this AM. So bananabanana

Edit 2: and here's CU's game notes.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2015 04:32PM by Jim Hyla.

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: November 25, 2015 07:07PM

Trotsky
Al DeFlorio

Dumb question: when there is video is there always "production"? It's not like the cameras are automated -- somebody has to be operating them and if there is more than one angle somebody somewhere is deciding when to cut to camera 2. Does the building management actually provide that as a service? Do the schools get an IC to do it? Does a techie from the audio crew do it?

..and a related question:
Why does it take a few days for archived games to appear on ILDN? Very annoying. I would love to be able to watch the game later that night or early the next day (i.e. before the next game).

Posted by: cbuckser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 26, 2015 02:42AM

Roy 82
Trotsky
Al DeFlorio

Why does it take a few days for archived games to appear on ILDN? Very annoying. I would love to be able to watch the game later that night or early the next day (i.e. before the next game).
The games are often available for same-night viewing. You need to find the games under the schedule. It's not very user friendly, because the schedule page is geared for live events. A link for each game is always available there. I think it's the same link that was used to access the live video. But sometimes you have to wait 12 to 36 hours before that link puts up actual video.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: November 26, 2015 10:15AM

RichH
Kyle Rose
Jim Hyla
Kyle Rose
Trotsky

It hasn't been named "FleetCenter" in over a decade. It's been "TD Garden" since 2009 and I'm OK with people dropping the bank's name in conversation.

My friend Seth lived in upper Manhattan right across the river from the Yankee stadia when they were building the new one, and he insisted on calling it "Steinbrenner Field" because Yankee Stadium was the original one.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Kyle Rose (50.108.146.---)
Date: November 26, 2015 10:58AM

jtwcornell91
RichH
Kyle Rose
Jim Hyla
Kyle Rose
Trotsky

My friend Seth lived in upper Manhattan right across the river from the Yankee stadia when they were building the new one, and he insisted on calling it "Steinbrenner Field" because Yankee Stadium was the original one.
I usually refer to it as "New Yankee Stadium"... but eventually everyone will give up because in every respect it's a far superior place to actually watch a baseball game than the 70's "renovation" Stadium was. I'm not sure the same is true of the Fleetcenter/TD Garden, which is less intense and where you're farther from the action, though I'm sure a ton more spacious/comfortable.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 26, 2015 11:51AM

Kyle Rose
jtwcornell91
RichH
Kyle Rose
Jim Hyla
Kyle Rose
Trotsky

I usually refer to it as "New Yankee Stadium"... but eventually everyone will give up because in every respect it's a far superior place to actually watch a baseball game than the 70's "renovation" Stadium was. I'm not sure the same is true of the Fleetcenter/TD Garden, which is less intense and where you're farther from the action, though I'm sure a ton more spacious/comfortable.

I only remember two trips to Boston Garden but have a vague recollection of an odor that made the history of the building come alive in my imagination. But I have hesitated to post this because I think it might be a product of that imagination overlaid with 40+ years of mental dust.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 26, 2015 06:35PM

marty
Kyle Rose
jtwcornell91
RichH
Kyle Rose
Jim Hyla
Kyle Rose
Trotsky

I only remember two trips to Boston Garden but have a vague recollection of an odor that made the history of the building come alive in my imagination. But I have hesitated to post this because I think it might be a product of that imagination overlaid with 40+ years of mental dust.

I don't remember an odor, not to say it wasn't there, but after going to every ECAC finals there, my coming alive experience was walking up the somewhat circular walkway to get above the train station. At the top, when you hit the aisles around the arena, was the guy standing and selling programs. At that point, I knew I made it and my heart was pounding, either in anticipation, or because of walking fast uphill, or both.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 26, 2015 07:28PM

Jim Hyla
I don't remember an odor, not to say it wasn't there, but after going to every ECAC finals there, my coming alive experience was walking up the somewhat circular walkway to get above the train station. At the top, when you hit the aisles around the arena, was the guy standing and selling programs. At that point, I knew I made it and my heart was pounding, either in anticipation, or because of walking fast uphill, or both.
Entering the old Garden from North Station was moving. It was rundown, gritty, had barely changed from the 30s. It was bare and bracing, and it felt like reaching a summit after a lot of hard work.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: November 27, 2015 09:47AM

marty
Kyle Rose
jtwcornell91
RichH
Kyle Rose
Jim Hyla
Kyle Rose
Trotsky

I never made it to the old Garden, but Walter Brown Arena did have an odor (to bring the conversation back to BU).

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Ninian 72 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 27, 2015 12:00PM

It appears there will be a tv feed from BU:

[www.goterriers.com]

Date: November 27, 2015 12:17PM

Ninian 72

[www.goterriers.com]
Free, too. :-)

Posted by: RichH (107.77.70.---)
Date: November 27, 2015 01:56PM

Trotsky
Ninian 72

[www.goterriers.com]

Everything I've read is that the ILDN feed will also be free.

Date: November 27, 2015 04:22PM

RichH
Trotsky
Ninian 72

[www.goterriers.com]

And worth every penny.

Date: November 27, 2015 04:23PM

marty
RichH
Trotsky
Ninian 72

[www.goterriers.com]

And worth every penny.
ILDN has actually been very good so far this year.

Date: November 27, 2015 08:12PM

Trotsky
marty
RichH
Trotsky
Ninian 72

[www.goterriers.com]

And worth every penny.
ILDN has actually been very good so far this year.

I was referring to the likelihood that the camera feed will be from the scoreboard. I have been happy with the video this year too. I'm not expecting much tomorrow but I'll take whatever they give us.

Posted by: Larry72 (---.w90-31.abo.wanadoo.fr)
Date: November 28, 2015 02:10PM

Here's the direct ILDN Link: [www.ivyleaguedigitalnetwork.com]

Posted by: Roy 82 (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2015 06:17PM

cbuckser
Roy 82
Trotsky
Al DeFlorio

The games are often available for same-night viewing. You need to find the games under the schedule. It's not very user friendly, because the schedule page is geared for live events. A link for each game is always available there. I think it's the same link that was used to access the live video. But sometimes you have to wait 12 to 36 hours before that link puts up actual video.

Thanks Craig.

The few times I checked (either later that night or the fololowing day). The games were not available in the archive. I am just wondering why they cannot be instantly archived.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 28, 2015 09:16PM

I was half-expecting a quick whistle but thankfully none came.

Date: November 29, 2015 07:33AM

Like kissing your sister.
And, your sister is butt-ugly.

bang

Posted by: hypotenuse (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 29, 2015 10:08AM

Was it me, or did it seem that the BU band was playing all the time and that ours was all but silent? Not thrilled about the outcome, but it has really become a great Cornell event.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 29, 2015 10:51AM

Very entertaining game. Lots of energy in building, and I thought the place was more full than 2 years ago, even though last night was not quite a sellout.

Disappointed to come out with a tie, but BU has a lot of talent and we held our own. Gillam was excellent, although I imagine he'd like to have BU's 2nd goal back.

Great to see a couple of goals of deflections, which is something we've sorely lacked the past few years.

One area that needs improvement is faceoffs. I don't know what the final stats were, but it seemed we lost about 75% of the faceoffs, including all of them on BU's OT powerplay.

Good to see Hilbrich on the ice, although I don't think it was one of his better games. We've got to get through 2 tough ECAC games at home next weekend, and then hopefully we can get a couple of more guys back for the Florida tournament.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: November 29, 2015 11:48AM

scoop85
Great to see a couple of goals off deflections, which is something we've sorely lacked the past few years.

Anderson's goal was a thing of beauty in that, as an undersized (for our team) defenseman converted to forward, he fought off a significant (penalty-worthy, in my opinion) amount of harassment, stood his ground, and got his stick down where it needed to be. Maybe he's got the necessary gumption to be a similar asset on the power play.

To my eye, the officiating was somewhat suspect. A lot went on, for both teams, that didn't get called, but what BU was doing was quieter and nastier. I'd like to see cross-checking (the real kind, rather than the one player is much larger than the other kind) become a point of emphasis. The lower backs of our generally larger players, who are difficult for little guys to move without using some sort of illegal advantage, are getting pummeled constantly and it never gets called. Considering how many players' careers have ended, including Joe Nieuwendyk to mention one, this sort of systematic abuse should be taken out of the game.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2015 11:56AM by Scersk '97.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: November 29, 2015 01:45PM

Scersk '97
scoop85
Great to see a couple of goals off deflections, which is something we've sorely lacked the past few years.

Anderson's goal was a thing of beauty in that, as an undersized (for our team) defenseman converted to forward, he fought off a significant (penalty-worthy, in my opinion) amount of harassment, stood his ground, and got his stick down where it needed to be. Maybe he's got the necessary gumption to be a similar asset on the power play.

To my eye, the officiating was somewhat suspect. A lot went on, for both teams, that didn't get called, but what BU was doing was quieter and nastier. I'd like to see cross-checking (the real kind, rather than the one player is much larger than the other kind) become a point of emphasis. The lower backs of our generally larger players, who are difficult for little guys to move without using some sort of illegal advantage, are getting pummeled constantly and it never gets called. Considering how many players' careers have ended, including Joe Nieuwendyk to mention one, this sort of systematic abuse should be taken out of the game.

Last night I definitely felt we got out-muscled, which is rare for a Cornell team. But I think that can happen with our lack of experience.

And yeah, a lot that could have been called.

Date: November 29, 2015 07:26PM

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.ipyx-102276-zyo.zip.zayo.com)
Date: November 30, 2015 10:09AM

I think we played them even in the first period, slightly behind in the second (but still scored two, go figure) and then were dominated in the third and OT. They were faster and crisper, though the first two periods had the best passing I've seen from a Cornell team in years. Something happened in the locker room before the third period and things just fell apart completely. Almost no coherent offensive flow and for insanely long stretches, an unwillingness or inability to clear the defensive zone. Inability because I saw a lot of fanning on pucks, unwillingness because it looked like guys wanted to make perfect breakout passes and instead ended up without a clear at all. Gillam was amazing but for (as noted above) the second goal - I feel like he thought he had the short side covered and was pretty hard on himself when he got sniped.

This is probably needlessly harsh - I thought the team looked like a TEAM for two periods. A group that can hang with anyone. I'd love to see more of that.

Posted by: cbuckser (---.sub-70-214-56.myvzw.com)
Date: December 03, 2015 05:49PM

ugarte
I think we played them even in the first period, slightly behind in the second (but still scored two, go figure) and then were dominated in the third and OT. They were faster and crisper, though the first two periods had the best passing I've seen from a Cornell team in years. Something happened in the locker room before the third period and things just fell apart completely. Almost no coherent offensive flow and for insanely long stretches, an unwillingness or inability to clear the defensive zone. Inability because I saw a lot of fanning on pucks, unwillingness because it looked like guys wanted to make perfect breakout passes and instead ended up without a clear at all. Gillam was amazing but for (as noted above) the second goal - I feel like he thought he had the short side covered and was pretty hard on himself when he got sniped.

This is probably needlessly harsh - I thought the team looked like a TEAM for two periods. A group that can hang with anyone. I'd love to see more of that.

I haven't counted, but I did observe that Cornell almost never carried the puck into the offensive zone in the third period and overtime.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 03, 2015 06:34PM

it would help if we had depth to finish the games.. playing so many guys hurt and out of position could explain late game issues.. lets hope by xmas we start to field a full team

Date: December 03, 2015 10:09PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login