Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Origin of "Red!" during national anthem?

Posted by Sydney Reade 
Origin of "Red!" during national anthem?
Posted by: Sydney Reade (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: April 13, 2015 12:47PM

Hey Cornell alums!

I am writing a research paper on the origins of some of the hockey traditions. Anyone know/remember when and why we started shouting "Red!" during the national anthem when we reach the appropriate lyric? Any help is much appreciated.

SR '15

Re: Origin of "Red!" during national anthem?
Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: April 13, 2015 01:47PM

Sydney Reade
Hey Cornell alums!

I am writing a research paper on the origins of some of the hockey traditions. Anyone know/remember when and why we started shouting "Red!" during the national anthem when we reach the appropriate lyric? Any help is much appreciated.

SR '15
Don't know the answer (I would go with Jeff Hopkins or the Bolshevik revolution) but I clearly heard "Red!" at the NCAA Championship Game.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: April 13, 2015 02:13PM

I have a feeling the first time I heard it was in the early 90s, and remember thinking, "Well, that's obvious -- why didn't we ever do that?" I'm pretty sure we never did it when I was an undergrad (through 86).

I cannot remember whether Clarkson did it first. I know RPI and Union copied.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2015 02:15PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: tominvb (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: April 13, 2015 02:35PM

I heard it in Lincoln at a Nebraska football game.

TS

Posted by: RichH (---.northgrum.com)
Date: April 13, 2015 03:34PM

Trotsky
I have a feeling the first time I heard it was in the early 90s, and remember thinking, "Well, that's obvious -- why didn't we ever do that?" I'm pretty sure we never did it when I was an undergrad (through 86).

It was established enough to be included in the Cornell-produced "student handbook" publication I was given in Fall 1992 (my freshman year), and it was being done at all sporting events I attended.

There was a cover article on the history of the building and fans in the Cornell Alumni Magazine (Jan/Feb '93, Volume 95, Issue 6) that features a neat little timeline of approximate years certain cheers appeared/evolved. I wouldn't treat it as gospel, since it got Mike Schafer's graduation year wrong, but it's pretty interesting. I'm happy to have found it, but unfortunately for this thread, there's no mention of the "RED!" thing.

In several visiting rinks, old, salty fans would come up to our section and scold us for being so disrespectful. I would point out that we proudly sang every word of the anthem, while the home fans would be chatting away, not paying much attention at all.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2015 03:39PM by RichH.

Posted by: RichH (134.223.230.---)
Date: April 13, 2015 03:39PM

I've noticed that fans of the Washington Capitals are doing the "RED" now, and regionally, the Orioles fans will also bring their "O!" to any event.

A list, then, from a googling session:

"O!" -- Orioles (started in the '70s)

say can "U!" see -- Union (I have heard "U C!!" in the past)

"WHOSE!" broad stripes -- UVa ("Hoos" )

and bright "STARS!" -- Dallas Stars

And the "ROCKETS!" -- A small group of Houston Rocket fans called the Red Rowdies

"RED!" glare -- Cornell Big Red, RPI, Washington Caps, Florida Panthers, Calgary Flames, Carolina Hurricanes, Nebraska, probably more

proof through the "NIGHT!" -- Clarkson, Atlanta Thrashers (for Atlanta Knights)

"O!!" say .. -- Orioles, and Duke somehow.

and the home of the "xxxxx!" -- Atlanta Braves, University of North Dakota, KC Chiefs, probably dozens more.

------------

Canada: "TRUE NORTH!" -- Winnipeg Jets (for the ownership group, True North Sports & Entertainment Ltd)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2015 03:43PM by RichH.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 13, 2015 04:24PM

No mention of Vermont? "Rock CATS red glare"

Unless I'm misremembering them trying to get ahead of the "red"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2015 04:25PM by Chris '03.

Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 13, 2015 05:19PM

This history of the Clarkson pep band implies that Cornell fans were shouting "Red!" during the anthem at least as far back as the 1991-92 season. (Look for the "Final Four at Lake State ('91-'92)" link.)

Date: April 13, 2015 05:29PM

RichH
There was a cover article on the history of the building and fans in the Cornell Alumni Magazine (Jan/Feb '93, Volume 95, Issue 6) that features a neat little timeline of approximate years certain cheers appeared/evolved. I wouldn't treat it as gospel, since it got Mike Schafer's graduation year wrong, but it's pretty interesting.
I think I recall somebody researching that by asking people on hockey-l. I believe we have reached a mobius strip.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: April 13, 2015 06:03PM

ACM
This history of the Clarkson pep band implies that Cornell fans were shouting "Red!" during the anthem at least as far back as the 1991-92 season. (Look for the "Final Four at Lake State ('91-'92)" link.)

Although marked as '91–'92, the Lake State trip being recalled by that particular author was actually in '90–'91…

"Fuzzy Memories" (to the tune of "Tiny Bubbles" )!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2015 06:05PM by Scersk '97.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: April 13, 2015 09:23PM

I'll narrow it down a little further between Greg's and Rich's recollections; I'm roughly 95% certain that we weren't doing it when I started attending games in November, 1987, and that we were doing it by either the Boston Garden semifinal loss to RPI in 1990 or the Boston Garden semifinal loss to SLU in 1991.

Sorry I can't be more specific.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Sydney Reade (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 13, 2015 10:28PM

Thank you all, you've been a great help!

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 13, 2015 11:45PM

Sydney Reade
Hey Cornell alums!

SR '15

Nothing to to do with the origins of the cheer, but my favorite related memory is from the first MSG game against BU in 2007. They brought in a mercenary trumpeter (a famous name from some late night TV show, IIRC) to play the Star Spangled Banner. He apparently hadn't gotten the scouting report and nearly dropped his trumpet when we blasted him with "RED".

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 14, 2015 06:37AM

Sydney Reade
Hey Cornell alums! I am writing a research paper on the origins of some of the hockey traditions. Anyone know/remember when and why we started shouting "Red!" during the national anthem when we reach the appropriate lyric? Any help is much appreciated. SR '15
This must be a good course to be in.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 14, 2015 08:32AM

Sydney Reade
Hey Cornell alums!

SR '15

Once it's done, please provide a link to your paper.:-)

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (204.27.156.---)
Date: April 14, 2015 08:38AM

Wasn't me, Roy.

I started the newspapers during intros, and I know you and I (along with my roommate) started the "Somebody else, too" addition to Screw BU in 1980, but that's all I can take credit (responsibility?) for.

I know it wasn't done when I was a student, and I don't remember it from the tournament at the Garden in the mid 80's. The first time I remember hearing it was at Lake Placid in '96.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2015 08:39AM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Posted by: Robb (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 14, 2015 08:54AM

Beeeej
I'll narrow it down a little further between Greg's and Rich's recollections; I'm roughly 95% certain that we weren't doing it when I started attending games in November, 1987, and that we were doing it by either the Boston Garden semifinal loss to RPI in 1990 or the Boston Garden semifinal loss to SLU in 1991.

I'm as certain as I can be about anything 25 years later that RED was yelled at my very first Cornell hockey game (yes, I was there for the warmups, kiddies - get with it!) which would have been fall of 1990. Funny thing about traditions - when you hear it for the first time, you just always assume 'twas always thus. I had no idea the tradition was so "young" when I heard it first.

Date: April 14, 2015 12:14PM

Robb
Funny thing about traditions - when you hear it for the first time, you just always assume 'twas always thus. I had no idea the tradition was so "young" when I heard it first.
I never knew "x too" began in 1980. When I first heard it in the fall of 1981 I assumed it was ancient.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-209-141.myvzw.com)
Date: April 14, 2015 12:20PM

Trotsky
Robb
Funny thing about traditions - when you hear it for the first time, you just always assume 'twas always thus. I had no idea the tradition was so "young" when I heard it first.
I never knew "x too" began in 1980. When I first heard it in the fall of 1981 I assumed it was ancient.

I'm losing it perhaps? I thought it was done in the fall of '70 when first was lucky enough to sit in Lynah.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (204.27.156.---)
Date: April 14, 2015 01:11PM

marty
Trotsky
Robb

I'm losing it perhaps? I thought it was done in the fall of '70 when first was lucky enough to sit in Lynah.

It may have been done in '70, but it certainly wasn't being done in '78 when I arrived on campus.

That said, nothing's ever original. Full disclosure: I stole the newspaper idea from the University of Scranton.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2015 01:14PM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Date: April 14, 2015 01:27PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
That said, nothing's ever original. Full disclosure: I stole the newspaper idea from the University of Scranton.
I don't recall the newpapers being shaken at first, and that was much more effective. Mystery, Alaska was terrible, but the one thing it got right was the newspaper scene. Complete silence.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2015 01:29PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: jkahn (---.whitingcorp.com)
Date: April 14, 2015 02:12PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
marty
Trotsky
Robb

It may have been done in '70, but it certainly wasn't being done in '78 when I arrived on campus.

It's been discussed before, but in the 1972 NCAA tournament, Wisconsin fans added "and Cornell too" to our Screw BU cheer. BU's band constantly played what was their "GO BU" cheer, so it was BU's band that was playing it during the tournament, and it always was met with a loud "Screw BU" from the large Cornell contingent. Not liking that their team wasn't in the final, Wisconsin fans added their tag line so both finalists were included.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 16, 2015 12:45AM

Beeeej

My first semester on campus was January '90. It was already a thing. Maybe it started earlier that year, but the freshmen I knew - who told me when I transferred in to find a way to get hockey tickets - made it sound like it wasn't new that year.

Posted by: KenP (---.ssmcnet.noaa.gov)
Date: April 16, 2015 02:02PM

I remember using that cheer at football games in fall 1988. My first hockey game was fall 1990 and it was there too.

Interesting that it was so new at the time. I would never have guessed!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2015 02:02PM by KenP.

Posted by: adamw (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 31, 2015 06:17PM

Just seeing this now.

My freshman year at IC was Fall of 1988. I attended/covered my first Cornell hockey game that fall ... so, say, November or December 1988. I know for a fact "RED" was chanted then - because I distinctly remember nearly jumping out of my skin when it happened, because I completely wasn't expecting it. Which elicited a chuckle from who I was there with - which leads me to believe it had been done before, as well.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: August 31, 2015 07:09PM

So we have it narrowed down. It didn't exist yet during the '86 run, but it was common enough in '88 that it scared a freshman. :)

Sounds like it happened during the '87 season; one of the few bright spots not starting with the letters "Nieu."

Posted by: bigred91 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2024 11:29AM

I know this is a necro post, but I have always wanted to set the record straight on this. I know the answer because I was there when it first happened. It was during the 88-89 season.

The first time this was done I was standing next to Shehriyar "Shay" Antia, class of '92 I think he was, when he just did it spontaneously. It cracked everyone up in our section (D or E, can't recall which) and the next game a few more of us did it. It caught on quickly and by season's end it was a mainstay. A few seasons later Clarkson copied the idea and started shouting "Knight" when "proof through the night" came around.

So there you have it. Shay Antia, 88-89 season!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2024 11:31AM by bigred91.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login