Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

This year/next year

Posted by hypotenuse 
This year/next year
Posted by: hypotenuse (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 22, 2015 07:11PM

This year was just so disappointing. Next year, please hurry up and get here.

Re: This year/next year
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.sub-70-209-139.myvzw.com)
Date: March 22, 2015 09:45PM

hypotenuse

So tell Age to pin next year's schedule to the top and we can pretend that this year didn't exist.

Posted by: Tom Lento (199.201.64.---)
Date: March 25, 2015 06:36PM

Jim Hyla
hypotenuse

So tell Age to pin next year's schedule to the top and we can pretend that this year didn't exist.

At the very least, tweet something so I don't have to see that 7-0 score line every time I come here. ;)

Posted by: Johnny 5 (209.68.90.---)
Date: March 26, 2015 08:23AM

Tom Lento
Jim Hyla
hypotenuse

At the very least, tweet something so I don't have to see that 7-0 score line every time I come here. ;)

Don't mean to be da feet est, but what would lead us to suspect that next year won't be the same or worse??

bang

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 26, 2015 10:24AM

Johnny 5
Don't mean to be da feet est, but what would lead us to suspect that next year won't be the same or worse??
Our expectations will be lower?

But not really. Due to the '02-'12 run I always assume Mike will pull another rabbit out of the hat. A rebound would be a joy, but not a surprise, and that's the definition of being spoiled.

Posted by: BearLover (---.wrls.harvard.edu)
Date: March 26, 2015 11:25AM

Trotsky
Johnny 5

But not really. Due to the '02-'12 run I always assume Mike will pull another rabbit out of the hat. A rebound would be a joy, but not a surprise, and that's the definition of being spoiled.
I wouldn't call countless heartbreaking NCAA losses and our rivals coming out of nowhere and winning it all the last two years "spoiled." "Gut wrenching" or "snakebitten," maybe.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: March 26, 2015 02:10PM

BearLover
Trotsky
Johnny 5

I wouldn't call countless heartbreaking NCAA losses and our rivals coming out of nowhere and winning it all the last two years "spoiled." "Gut wrenching" or "snakebitten," maybe.

We have a well above average winning percentage and three ECAC titles in that stretch. Given that every team but one ends their season with a loss (other than some scrub that misses their conference tourney. Are there any conferences that don't include all teams in the tourney?) heartbreaking NCAA losses are kind of the norm. A championship would be great, but it's not like teams left and right are winning them.

And some of us don't care as much about what rivals do. I, for one, really just don't mind Q or Yale or Union THAT much. I'd be miserable if Harvard won, and I'd spend an entire year continuously vomiting with rage if Dartmouth won, but that's about it.

Date: March 26, 2015 02:28PM

BearLover
Trotsky
Johnny 5

What I was trying to explain is that I still "assume," in some emotional way, that we're going to get back to being a top conference team that wins conference titles and goes to the NCAAs about half the time. Given the current state of the team, there's no rational reason to expect that, but I still do. I didn't have those expectations prior to Schafer. I used to, sight unseen, expect us to hover around .550; now I expect .650. If we keep falling short I'll adjust, but my feeling looking at us in 7th is: "that's unsustainable, we belong between 1 and 3" whereas in '02 my feeling looking at is in 1st was "that's unsustainable, we belong between 3 and 5."

That readjustment's persistence is what is "spoiled."

Date: March 26, 2015 03:18PM

Dafatone
BearLover
Trotsky
Johnny 5

We have a well above average winning percentage and three ECAC titles in that stretch. Given that every team but one ends their season with a loss (other than some scrub that misses their conference tourney. Are there any conferences that don't include all teams in the tourney?) heartbreaking NCAA losses are kind of the norm. A championship would be great, but it's not like teams left and right are winning them.

And some of us don't care as much about what rivals do. I, for one, really just don't mind Q or Yale or Union THAT much. I'd be miserable if Harvard won, and I'd spend an entire year continuously vomiting with rage if Dartmouth won, but that's about it.
I mean, no one would ever call 1990-93 Bills fans "spoiled."

And I still don't get why people here hate Dartmouth and Harvard but don't seem to mind Q, Union, or Yale...the latter three teams have dealt us many more crushing losses in past years than Harvard, and the reasons to hate Dartmouth (asshole coach, on-ice antics) are equally applicable to Q/U/Y.

Date: March 26, 2015 03:54PM

BearLover
And I still don't get why people here hate Dartmouth and Harvard but don't seem to mind Q, Union, or Yale...the latter three teams have dealt us many more crushing losses in past years than Harvard, and the reasons to hate Dartmouth (asshole coach, on-ice antics) are equally applicable to Q/U/Y.
Who doesn't hate Q? For that matter, who doesn't hate U? The only thing more insufferable than U when they were losers is U when they're winners.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.pols.usd.edu)
Date: March 26, 2015 04:13PM

Trotsky
BearLover
Who doesn't hate Q? For that matter, who doesn't hate U? The only thing more insufferable than U when they were losers is U when they're winners.

I find them annoying. Very annoying given the title. But whatever. Ivy rivalries matter more to me than other ones. It's not like, on any level, I have any concerns or insecurities about comparing Cornell and Union or Q as schools. The rivalry with other Ivies is a school rivalry that goes well beyond hockey for me.

Plus, watching Dartmouth throw a constant stream of cheapshots at us is worse than being upset that Q or Union has beaten us for a few years.

Long story short, just losing to a team doesn't do THAT much to sway me, rivalrywise.

Date: March 26, 2015 04:37PM

Dafatone
Long story short, just losing to a team doesn't do THAT much to sway me, rivalrywise.
I still haven't found an ECAC team I'd root against in the NCAAs, and if it didn't happen with Harvard in the 90s, it never will.

Date: March 26, 2015 05:04PM

Dafatone
Trotsky
BearLover

I find them annoying. Very annoying given the title. But whatever. Ivy rivalries matter more to me than other ones. It's not like, on any level, I have any concerns or insecurities about comparing Cornell and Union or Q as schools. The rivalry with other Ivies is a school rivalry that goes well beyond hockey for me.

Plus, watching Dartmouth throw a constant stream of cheapshots at us is worse than being upset that Q or Union has beaten us for a few years.

Q, Union, and Yale all have coaches who are complete assholes (or at least Schafer thinks so). Q ran up the score against us a few years ago. Q presumably wants to leave the ECAC. Plenty of reasons to root against them. I'm with you on Ivy rivalries being much greater than non-Ivy ones. I root against all of the ECAC schools in the NCAA's for the same reason UNC fans root against Duke and Red Sox fans root against the Yankees. I also think it can't possibly be good for Cornell for Yale to win the national championship, but that's not really why I hate them so much.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2015 05:06PM by BearLover.

Posted by: CAS (---.sub-70-199-97.myvzw.com)
Date: March 26, 2015 05:10PM

U's coach was suspended last year for trying to punch out Seth Appert after losing to RPI last year. Not a classy gesture

Posted by: CAS (---.sub-70-199-97.myvzw.com)
Date: March 26, 2015 05:39PM

Perhaps someone can post the video of Union's Rick Bennett trying to punch out the RPI coach?

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 26, 2015 06:13PM

BearLover
I mean, no one would ever call 1990-93 Bills fans "spoiled."
I would, however, call Atlanta Braves fan of the '90s into the '00s spoiled. They only won one WS championship and lost a couple others. But b the endof their long run of division championships they couldn't even sell out a playoff game.

Current Yankee fans are spoiled. They rant and rave about how horrible the team is when it's been over .500 because the expectation is to have the best record in the league. Spoiled.

Date: March 26, 2015 06:17PM

BearLover
Some of it is a time horizon thing. Yale may have beaten us a lot more recently than Harvard but over the 20+ years I've been following CU hockey that hasn't been the case. Perceptions of rivals can often be fixed early in fandom. I dislike Union but more because they were the perenial cellar dwellawho always seemed to give good Cornell teams trouble than their recent success.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 26, 2015 08:02PM

CAS
Perhaps someone can post the video of Union's Rick Bennett trying to punch out the RPI coach?

video: [www.youtube.com]

There are others.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2015 08:05PM

KeithK
Perceptions of rivals can often be fixed early in fandom.
Absolutely. AFAIC, we have two rivals: Harvard and Clarkson. The wogs begin at Hamilton.

Posted by: toddlose (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2015 08:05PM

CAS
U's coach was suspended last year for trying to punch out Seth Appert after losing to RPI last year. Not a classy gesture

You make this sound like it was a bad thing.

Date: March 26, 2015 08:06PM

BearLover
Q, Union, and Yale all have coaches who are complete assholes (or at least Schafer thinks so).
I'm pretty sure a poll of the 12 coaches would put Mike in the top 3 of asshole coaches, depending where Pecknold and Gaudet placed.

Mike might even vote for Mike. :-}
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2015 08:07PM by Trotsky.

Date: March 26, 2015 08:16PM

Trotsky
KeithK
Absolutely. AFAIC, we have two rivals: Harvard and Clarkson. The wogs begin at Hamilton.

Strangely enough, Clarkson might be my favorite other team in the conference. They have a hockey following and tradition, they have neat enough colors, and their teams tend to be not complete assholes all the time. I guess I'm partial to NY teams, generally, too (with exceptions, such as Union and Colgate).

Date: March 26, 2015 08:41PM

Dafatone
Trotsky
KeithK

Strangely enough, Clarkson might be my favorite other team in the conference. They have a hockey following and tradition, they have neat enough colors, and their teams tend to be not complete assholes all the time. I guess I'm partial to NY teams, generally, too (with exceptions, such as Union and Colgate).
An opponent can be a rival without being a hated rival.

Date: March 26, 2015 08:43PM

KeithK
Dafatone
Trotsky
KeithK

Good point. Of course, I can't think of any professional sports rivals I don't hate.

Posted by: CAS (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2015 01:08PM

Thanks ursusminor for posting the video of Rick Bennett throwing haymakers. Watching it never gets tiresome.

Date: March 27, 2015 01:17PM

Dafatone
KeithK
Dafatone
Trotsky
KeithK

Good point. Of course, I can't think of any professional sports rivals I don't hate.
I'm just missing that gene. I don't hate the Yankees or Rangers, I don't care about the former and will even root for the latter. Having been away from NY for 30 years probably helps, since I never have to listen to their fans.

But I don't even hate Harvard, and that worries me. The only rival I have truly ever been able to hate is the Braves.

Date: March 27, 2015 02:51PM

Trotsky
Dafatone
KeithK
Dafatone
Trotsky
KeithK

I'm just missing that gene. I don't hate the Yankees or Rangers, I don't care about the former and will even root for the latter. Having been away from NY for 30 years probably helps, since I never have to listen to their fans.

But I don't even hate Harvard, and that worries me. The only rival I have truly ever been able to hate is the Braves.

As long as you hate the Braves, you're good.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 27, 2015 05:33PM

CAS
Thanks ursusminor for posting the video of Rick Bennett throwing haymakers. Watching it never gets tiresome.

My blood pressure always rises 20 or 30 mmHg watching Mongo attempting to get at Seth Appert.

Date: March 27, 2015 06:09PM

ursusminor
CAS

My blood pressure always rises 20 or 30 mmHg watching Mongo attempting to get at Seth Appert.
Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Posted by: cuhockey93 (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 28, 2015 05:10PM

Calling CU hockey spoiled is like calling the Flyers spoiled for losing like 7 cups in a row even though this will be the 2nd time they've missed the playoffs in 20 years.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login