Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

at Brown 2/27

Posted by Trotsky 
at Brown 2/27
Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: February 27, 2015 08:19AM

Just win, baby.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2015 11:05AM by Trotsky.

Re: at Brown 12/27
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: February 27, 2015 09:38AM

Next, on "Hot Tub Time Machine 3"...

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: February 27, 2015 10:32AM

I'm weirdly... I don't want to say uninvested in this weekend, but maybe close to it?

Sure, a higher seed would be very nice, and we have an opportunity to really move up if the right things shake out (and as has been pointed out, those right things are, generally, the more likely outcomes based on each team's, say, KRACH or whatever).

But it's really a weekend where winning would make me feel better about the playoffs, rather than actually make a direct difference. Anyone else feeling the same way?

And, you know, Let's Go Red. In case my indifference seems unsupportive.

Re: at Brown 2/27
Date: February 27, 2015 11:10AM

Although I know that feeling, this time I don't share it. The playoffs are important, but these games are important stand-alone. The 4-game winning streak in late November was a great high and I want the team to experience that again. Partly that's because it's a good launching into the post-season but particularly in a season which may end suddenly and disappointingly, each weekend is a chance to sweep and briefly feel like kings of the world.

Date: February 27, 2015 11:11AM

Beeeej
Next, on "Hot Tub Time Machine 3"...
Yeah, yeah, smart guy. Fixed.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 27, 2015 03:07PM

Unlike some other teams, Meehan is actually not an unfavorable place for Cornell to be playing. Brown is on their usual late-season run, though; so I expect them to come out hard.

Edit: Meep. Forgot to mention that those of us watching video will get the Brown crew today (and the student crew tomorrow). >_>
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2015 04:00PM by Iceberg.

Date: February 27, 2015 04:03PM

Iceberg
Meehan is actually not an unfavorable place for Cornell to be playing
The only place better for Schafer's teams has been Lynah East.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 27, 2015 08:08PM

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 27, 2015 08:26PM

cornell gave up the quick goal again to dig an early hole.. brown generated 4-5 good chances in the first but actually had the puck very little, cornell had large possessions but created no shots.. in the 2nd cornell had multiple cycles , not a ton of greate chances got on goal but brown did almost nothing and cornell got 2 late and had a couple more chances.

not over yet.

Date: February 27, 2015 08:52PM

after the tieing goal cornell does everything but score. 4-5 high quality chances, pucks just missing goal head saves, missed open nets.

Posted by: dbilmes (73.182.129.---)
Date: February 27, 2015 09:00PM

upprdeck
after the tieing goal cornell does everything but score. 4-5 high quality chances, pucks just missing goal head saves, missed open nets.
The story of our season.

Date: February 27, 2015 09:06PM

This reffing is about as favorable as what Brown got in their last game.

Date: February 27, 2015 09:26PM

what do i not see on the replay to waive that goal off.? hilbreth has control of the puck. gets checked onto the crease? he didnt create the goalie contact

Date: February 27, 2015 09:30PM

and that comes after the blatant non call of the stewart hit at the end of the game. or trhe diaz tackle on the late penalty kill.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 27, 2015 09:34PM

I was concerned when the goal was scored that there was a chance it would be waived off based on the traffic in the crease. I sure would like to see a replay of that one.

It's been said before, but those Brown announcers, what a clown show. When Fiegl got the hooking penalty, I'm yelling at him on my screen "put down your stick!" -- I wasn't at all surprised that he was called for the penalty. Both announcers said they were watching the puck and didn't see the penalty, which is bizarre considering Fiegl was hooking the guy with the puck.

Anyway, a wierd feeling after this tie. Ordinarily you're thrilled to come back from 3-0 on the road, but given how much we dominated the last two periods, and given how many chances we had (Bardreau and Ryan especially), it doesn't feel so good.

Date: February 27, 2015 09:39PM

i wonder if cornell pushes for the replay to go to the league ands for explanation. being a game ending play it could be overturned on review. but i highly doubt it.

replays are supposed to be clear and decisive to be changed. the fact it took 4 min and 4 guys talked it over shows they were 100% positive all the call. did the overhead show something different than the game angle

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 27, 2015 09:42PM

I'd like to see the replay of Coach after the goal was disallowed!!

rock

Date: February 27, 2015 09:43PM

The replays should really be going to the league anyway. It really shouldn't be much of a problem for the ECAC to do that considering all the troubles on-ice officials seem to have actually being consistent with video review.

Date: February 27, 2015 09:48PM

all replays have to go to the league for review. you have to send the clips and the refs are supposed to explain the call. did anyone see something that didnt look like the cornell played got backchecked into the crease/goalie? he ended up off his feet.

this is why i dont understand not have a live feed going to a central office like the nhl has. its only a few games twice a week. removed the bad refsfrom the equation..

with no review at all we would be 3-5 pts better, with consistent review we get back 2-3 games as well

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 27, 2015 10:06PM

So here it is.video: [youtu.be]

Date: February 27, 2015 10:10PM

Jim Hyla

Holy shit. Granted, I'm not the most up on the rules, but that's a goal.

A) The only contact occurred because the cornell player was pushed into the goalie.
B) The contact wasn't occurring anymore when the puck went in.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 27, 2015 10:12PM

Jim Hyla

Wow ... sort of stunned that the call on the ice did not stand

Date: February 27, 2015 10:13PM

Dafatone
Jim Hyla

A) The only contact occurred because the cornell player was pushed into the goalie.

And initially he went into the crease with the puck.

Date: February 27, 2015 10:14PM

upprdeck
i wonder if cornell pushes for the replay to go to the league ands for explanation. being a game ending play it could be overturned on review. but i highly doubt it.

replays are supposed to be clear and decisive to be changed. the fact it took 4 min and 4 guys talked it over shows they were 100% positive all the call. did the overhead show something different than the game angle

Is there any precedent for that sort of thing happening?

That call was astoundingly bad.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 27, 2015 10:14PM

Dafatone
Jim Hyla

Ernst is trying to play the puck on Bardreau's shot without being interfered with. And Hilbrich is even trying his darnedest to get out of the crease with the Brown player who checked him in there draped all over him.

That's a bullshit call.

Date: February 27, 2015 10:16PM

Scersk '97
Dafatone
Jim Hyla

Ernst is trying to play the puck on Bardreau's shot without being interfered with. And Hilbrich is even trying his darnedest to get out of the crease with the Brown player who checked him in there draped all over him.

That's a bullshit call.

I'm struggling to think of a worse call I've seen in a Cornell game. Really.

Posted by: BearLover (---.wrls.harvard.edu)
Date: February 27, 2015 10:22PM

fuck this shit honestly

Date: February 27, 2015 10:26PM

BearLover
fuck this shit honestly

Well put.

Posted by: Larry72 (---.net.bhntampa.com)
Date: February 27, 2015 11:37PM

Just watched the video cold before reading any of the comments. I have NO idea why the goal was disallowed!

Posted by: Icy (---.0377.apn.wlan.wireless-pennnet.upenn.edu)
Date: February 27, 2015 11:39PM

Looked like a good goal to me. Thanks for the video JH.

Date: February 28, 2015 01:06AM

If it's any kinda-sorta-consolation, one of the contingencies for us to control our destiny for that 4th seed in tomorrow's game was that Colgate and Yale not tie.

They tied.

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 28, 2015 07:27AM

If that's GTI, I'm Elmer Fudd!?

bang

Posted by: dbilmes (73.182.129.---)
Date: February 28, 2015 08:15AM

Unbelievable! And I was at Quinnipiac earlier this season when Schafer wanted a review on their game-winning goal late in the third period of a 1-0 game, and the refs refused to review it. Now this goal gets reviewed and gets overturned. It's ridiculous.

Date: February 28, 2015 08:25AM

From another excellent recap, I assume from Brandon Thomas, this interesting fact:

Cornell hasn't rallied from three down to win in at least 15 years.

The recap can be found on CornellBigRed.com or the ECAC site.

I need to again thank Brandon for his writing. He was excellent at the IJ and it's carried over to Cornell. He always has a report on Cornell games, even though other schools skip it. Brown has nothing on the ECAC site. Thanks Brandon and keep up the good work.

Edit: I take back about Brown not having a recap. I now see a link to it on the Cornell recap page. Why the ECAC doesn't put the link on the home page is beyond me, they used to do that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2015 12:50PM by Jim Hyla.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2015 11:09AM

Larry72
Just watched the video cold before reading any of the comments. I have NO idea why the goal was disallowed!
Is it possible the referees saw an overhead view and concluded the Brown contact with Cornell wasn't why Cornell collided with the goaltender? Not saying I believe this, but that might explain the referee's action.

Watching this is start=stop-slow motion, it looked as if it was the fourth stab at the puck that got Cornell the goal. That was good effort by Cornell.

Date: February 28, 2015 12:59PM

once you have contact its hard to rule anything after that and you can see him try to avoid and go down under the contact.

also hard to undertand how the early replay of the contact on stewart is not called.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2015 01:15PM

If you watch closely, Hilbrich ends up standing on Ernst's stick, which the goalie lost on the initial poke check. Ernst, rather than play the puck, spent much of the flurry grabbing for his stick.

Not Hilbrich's fault where he's standing, since Tegtmeyer is draped all over him, and also not Hilbrich's fault that the goalie is too attached to his stick to realize that he should play the puck. I still can't get over what a horrible, horrible call that was.

Date: February 28, 2015 03:03PM

really wish they would post the reasoning behind the reviews and the changes.. did the announce it at the rink? i assume goalie interference was the call not just being in the crease.

Date: February 28, 2015 03:51PM

too bad we play a sport with no real press to question decisions and a league that doesnt bother to explain calls.

Date: February 28, 2015 04:55PM

I've been listening to Colgate-Brown and the announcers mentioned that Brown was lucky to get the call that they did. Last night they immediately called it as goalie intereference, but they must have changed their mind after watching the replay.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.sub-70-209-141.myvzw.com)
Date: February 28, 2015 06:02PM

Jim Hyla
I've been listening to Colgate-Brown and the announcers mentioned that Brown was lucky to get the call that they did. Last night they immediately called it as goalie intereference, but they must have changed their mind after watching the replay.

And they gave Schafer all kinds of crap for protesting the call

Date: February 28, 2015 06:09PM

scoop85
Jim Hyla

And they gave Schafer all kinds of crap for protesting the call

I think they gave him crap for throwing papers at the ref. I'd give him crap for that as well.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2015 06:38PM

Jim Hyla
They did. They said after reviewing at least one other angle that Hilbrich had been forced into the crease by Tegtmeyer. They were very surprised when the goal was waved off.

I actually thought that in general the Brown announcers were extremely fair throughout the game, and quite complimentary of Cornell. They were critical of Mike for exploding, sure, but that's to be expected. If anything I thought they were VERY harsh on Brown, at several points saying it was only a matter of time until Cornell won, and saying at the wrap-up that Brown stole a point from us and we deserved the win.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2015 06:40PM by Trotsky.

Date: February 28, 2015 06:40PM

hearing coach say that they ruled there was no contact is hard to fathom?

Date: February 28, 2015 06:41PM

sounds like even the first goal shoudltn have counted after review. even though the ecac repots says it was tipped that doesnt matter if the initial contact of the puck is a kick.. no differen than a handpass cant go in.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 28, 2015 11:17PM

upprdeck
sounds like even the first goal shoudltn have counted after review. even though the ecac repots says it was tipped that doesnt matter if the initial contact of the puck is a kick.. no differen than a handpass cant go in.
I think this is wrong. A hand-pass is illegal but I don't think a kick-pass is.

Posted by: abmarks (---.swo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2015 09:47PM

ugarte
I think this is wrong. A hand-pass is illegal but I don't think a kick-pass is.

Dunno the college rule specifically, but in the pros, a goal can be scored if the puck deflects off a skate on the way in or is skillfully deflected (no differently than if it were off a stick).

Kick passes are legal everywhere. But you can't kick it into the goal - that would not count. You'd have to kick pass it to someone who then shot it in.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: March 03, 2015 09:18AM

you can kick to pass, but if the kicking motion puck gets deflected in it can be disallowed depending on how its deflected.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login