Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Lite hockey stats

Posted by billhoward 
Lite hockey stats
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2015 10:50PM

After Cornell got out to a 1-0 first period lead over Union, it was noted on the broadcast that if Cornell leads after one period, it has thus-and-such outcome, I think 5-1-2. You hear that a lot.

See SBNation on The Value of the First Goal

Eric T, SBNation
Teams that score the first goal win 67 percent of the time. So that first goal really sets the tone, huh? But here's the catch: teams that score the second goal win 68 percent of the time. And teams that score third win 68 percent of the time. So, uh, about that super-important first goal...

Suppose a team wins a game 4-2. They scored 67 percent of the goals. If no goal is any more important than any other, the odds that they scored the first goal will be 67 percent. The odds that they scored the second goal will be 67 percent. And the odds that they scored the third goal will be 67 percent. So you know why teams that score first win two-thirds of the games? Because winning teams score about two-thirds of the goals. There's nothing magical about the first goal, no matter what The Stats Guy might tell you.

There are plenty of other Stats-Lite in other sports. If LeBron has a triple-double, the Cavaliers are 7-3, something like that. We've seen stats that mix cause and effec: Running teams have a better winning percentage. (Because they're ahead comfortably. So they run the ball.)

Re: Lite hockey stats
Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: February 21, 2015 11:26PM

billhoward
After Cornell got out to a 1-0 first period lead over Union, it was noted on the broadcast that if Cornell leads after one period, it has thus-and-such outcome, I think 5-1-2. You hear that a lot.

Eric T, SBNation
Teams that score the first goal win 67 percent of the time. So that first goal really sets the tone, huh? But here's the catch: teams that score the second goal win 68 percent of the time. And teams that score third win 68 percent of the time. So, uh, about that super-important first goal...

Suppose a team wins a game 4-2. They scored 67 percent of the goals. If no goal is any more important than any other, the odds that they scored the first goal will be 67 percent. The odds that they scored the second goal will be 67 percent. And the odds that they scored the third goal will be 67 percent. So you know why teams that score first win two-thirds of the games? Because winning teams score about two-thirds of the goals. There's nothing magical about the first goal, no matter what The Stats Guy might tell you.

There are plenty of other Stats-Lite in other sports. If LeBron has a triple-double, the Cavaliers are 7-3, something like that. We've seen stats that mix cause and effec: Running teams have a better winning percentage. (Because they're ahead comfortably. So they run the ball.)

The first goal is, maybe, an indication that the team that scored it is going to be the winning team, in that they are playing better. So it's less of a priority to win and more of a sign that you have an increased likeliness that you will win.

But yeah, "record under certain condition" stats are largely useless. It used to drive me crazy hearing the Mets' record when Jose Reyes scored a run, with the idea that he scored a lot of runs and got things started as a leadoff hitter. But if you fix one player at "scores at least one run" and let the others play to their averages, you're going to win a lot of games.

Posted by: KeithK (93.83.45.---)
Date: February 22, 2015 05:23PM

Dafatone
billhoward

Eric T, SBNation

The first goal is, maybe, an indication that the team that scored it is going to be the winning team, in that they are playing better. So it's less of a priority to win and more of a sign that you have an increased likeliness that you will win.

But yeah, "record under certain condition" stats are largely useless. It used to drive me crazy hearing the Mets' record when Jose Reyes scored a run, with the idea that he scored a lot of runs and got things started as a leadoff hitter. But if you fix one player at "scores at least one run" and let the others play to their averages, you're going to win a lot of games.
It's kind of like someone saying "Usually the team that scores the most points wins the game." (Supposedly John Madden said that once.)

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2015 10:04AM

At least now I know that in hockey (NHL) the first-to-score wins two of three times, and the winning team scores on average two-thirds of the goals in a game. No matter how the announcer tries to spin it: "They're 2-0 when Martin St. Louis comes out of the penalty box and scores on a breakaway for the game's first goal. At least when they're wearing their home jerseys excluding the retro jersey game against Detroit."

Probably does not apply to the Devils if they score first and wind up in a shootout: 2-4 in all shootouts this year, NHL record 0-12 last year and 3x43 shooting; even Brodeur wouldn't be that bad if he had a chance.

Posted by: RichH (134.223.230.---)
Date: March 02, 2015 03:30PM

Yeah, but I do pay attention to stats that show how we protect late-leads. There was that one year where we kept blowing 3rd period leads, which up until then was an unheard of option from a Cornell team. When I see that this Cornell is 7-0-0 when leading after 2, and 3-3-3 when tied after 2, I can think to look somewhere else for "what's wrong."

Another situational stat I look at is when are our GF/GA coming from? This year, 47% (26/55) of our scoring is coming after the 2nd intermission, which suggests that either we're successfully wearing down the opposing defenses early or our offense takes too long to find a rhythm. I prefer Cornell teams that are offensively strongest in 2nd periods so we can focus on our "lockdown" strengths in the third, rather than playing Cardiac Comeback Hockey. This season, we have a -5 goal differential in each of the first two periods, and are +7 in third periods. And the interesting footnote here is that our highest scoring period is also the period we happen to shoot the least.

[www.collegehockeystats.net]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2015 03:31PM by RichH.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login