Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell vs Dartmouth 1/24/15

Posted by Johnny 5 
Cornell vs Dartmouth 1/24/15
Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 24, 2015 02:57PM

Looking closely at their record, tonight's game might be a barn burner.

cheer

Re: Cornell vs Dartmouth 1/24/15
Posted by: Trotsky (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 24, 2015 03:20PM

Posted by: Iceberg (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 24, 2015 05:34PM

I fully expect the usual goonery out of Dartmouth. I also expect this game to be close as they typically are against these two. Dartmouth has kept up with some decent opponents this year, but they've mostly been up and down.

Posted by: MattS (---.sub-70-209-142.myvzw.com)
Date: January 24, 2015 07:42PM

Iceberg
I fully expect the usual goonery out of Dartmouth. I also expect this game to be close as they typically are against these two. Dartmouth has kept up with some decent opponents this year, but they've mostly been up and down.

So far for the most part they've been up. Except for about a 5 minute stretch in the middle of the period, it's looked even at best.

Damn, I'd kill to have 1 sniper on this team. Tons of hard work with 0 to show for it. Heck not even decent shots most of the time.

Nothing new with this but Last night it was very apparent and tonight is the same, that CU is so far behind in the speed department.

Date: January 24, 2015 08:05PM

That's why it's so weird to me. If you're going to run a trap-type system, it's optimal to at least have a forward core that can skate quickly. Those guys tend to create more offensive opportunities by forcing giveaways and such, which create better opportunities. It's nice to have a Ryan-type defender to supplement that but the defenders as a whole can only do so much since they're supposed to...defend.

Hilbrich's goal in yesterday's game is a great example of what a good neutral-zone trap can do. The Harvard defender (Moy I think) doesn't get the puck past the defenders, and then Bliss creates a rush from the neutral zone that ends with the puck right back in the Harvard net.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2015 08:10PM by Iceberg.

Date: January 24, 2015 08:14PM

So far the highlight of the night was Buckles check. Oh and the goalie change.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2015 08:16PM by MattS.

Date: January 24, 2015 08:37PM

Can someone explain to what the point is of dressing Stoick to play D if he's only going to take 1 shift per period? Wouldn't it be better to get Sade some game experience? Even if it's only a shift a period?

Date: January 24, 2015 08:47PM

delete
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2015 08:48PM by Iceberg.

Date: January 24, 2015 09:39PM

MattS
Can someone explain to what the point is of dressing Stoick to play D if he's only going to take 1 shift per period? Wouldn't it be better to get Sade some game experience? Even if it's only a shift a period?

Never mind I figured it out. It was to take Fiegl's spot after he got hurt.

Or I am assuming he got hurt. He went off the ice towards the locker room and did not return.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 24, 2015 10:20PM

MattS
MattS

Or I am assuming he got hurt. He went off the ice towards the locker room and did not return.

We may have to resort to bringing guys up from the club team with the injuries piling up.

Posted by: MattS (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 24, 2015 11:56PM

scoop85
MattS
MattS

We may have to resort to bringing guys up from the club team with the injuries piling up.

I just got a call from Schafer asking me if I had an eligibility left! ;)

Date: January 25, 2015 12:15AM

Overall I don't think CU played poorly. It wasn't as good as last night but there wasn't a large drop off.

The penalty shot was a tough goal to give up that early.

There was a few times where they really cycled well in the offensive zone and dominated the play.

Dartmouth's speed was a killer. Along with CU not stopping the outlet pass to a cherry picker at the blue line.

Maybe if CU had someone with a lethal, heck even an above average, shot things might turn out differently. Bardreau's PP goal was a laser but those are rare from anyone on this team.

I liked that Schafer pulled Gillam that early to try to win. For me it doesn't matter if the loss is by 2 or 5. I love trying to roll the dice and try to get those goals.

Stewart looked very shaky pretty much all night. I wonder if we've seen the last of him this season?

Crowd was large but almost instantly deflated after the first goal.

Does anyone else think that lately the D is pinching a bit more? Seems like MacDonald & Anderson were doing it a bit. I know some people don't like MacDonald's play but he's turned into a steady D with some nice moves carrying the puck out of the defensive zone.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2015 01:41AM

Even when we went down 4-0, I couldn't stop watching, since it felt like there might be a comeback. Too little too late—at least we won the third period…

Although I appreciated getting another look at Rauter, who looked pretty good out there, and I'm never bothered by Stoick at D, unlike a member or two of our "actual" top six, the injuries are starting to pile up, indeed.

Regarding the defensemen, one hopes that Willcox will be back soon, and one hopes that McCarron will be back at all. Anderson is starting to wear on me, and Wedman's just not there yet. Regardless of the mountain of minutes he plays, Ryan is taking some time to round back into form. Other teams also seem to be keying on him. I'm hoping he comes on late, perhaps when he doesn't have to babysit other D men as often. MacDonald has been nothing but a very pleasant mild surprise—I expected the D, but the O has been a nice bonus.

Regarding the forwards, I'm going to take back some of what I wrote about Bardreau recently. The last couple of games showed far more of what I expect out of him as a senior. Hilbrich and Buckles are turning into consistent scoring threats, and, considering last night, perhaps the puck should flow to Freschi much more often. I'm glad to see Kubiak back, but he needs to use his size more effectively. Weidner is starting to take control; it's great to have another dependable center beyond Bardreau. We're starting to own the dot again, and that's been an important part of our past playoff successes.

John McCarron remains the great mystery. You have to go back to Joe Devin to find a captain who had a truly great year, and I think we all know who the last truly great single captain was. Heavy is the head…

But, geez. [Old guy reference]Is McCarron perhaps our J.R. Reid?[/Old guy reference] Anyway, he needs to pick it up, and time's a-wastin'.

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 25, 2015 07:43AM

I heard a rumor that the pucks were under-inflated to slow down the Dartmouth break out?
Then again, maybe not??

whistle

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2015 05:22PM

Scersk '97
But, geez. [Old guy reference]Is McCarron perhaps our J.R. Reid?[/Old guy reference] Anyway, he needs to pick it up, and time's a-wastin'.

Did you mean J. R. Reid, or J. C. Ruid? ;)

IMHO McCarron played well this weekend. Bardeau had a great weekend, as did Weidner, Fresci and the whole third line (Dias' extremely undisciplined and ill-timed crosscheck notwithstanding).

We didn't deserve to get so deep into the hole against Dartmouth. We had a stretch over the middle of the first where Grant saved them -- not only did we have lots of chances but many were excellent set ups -- some thought was put into them. The second Green goal was simply deflating, and we took the second period off.

We played pretty well; we just kept losing a kid every 10 minutes or so like a house in the woods horror movie.

Gillam has now earned the solid 1 role down the stretch. Nothing against Stewart -- that was the only time I've seen him look bad -- but Mitch gives the team so much confidence (and at times he's one of the best offensive players on the ice...)

Date: January 25, 2015 05:30PM

Trotsky
Scersk '97

Did you mean J. R. Reid, or J. C. Ruid? ;)

See… see! So old I can't even remember his name correctly! :)

Trotsky
Gillam has now earned the solid 1 role down the stretch. Nothing against Stewart -- that was the only time I've seen him look bad -- but Mitch gives the team so much confidence (and at times he's one of the best offensive players on the ice...)

Yeah, this. The team has so much more pep offensively with Gillam. With him, you get great positioning, much better rebound control, and a field general to boot.

Gillam's "the guy" for me the rest of the year.

Date: January 25, 2015 05:45PM

Scersk '97
The team has so much more pep offensively with Gillam. With him, you get great positioning, much better rebound control, and a field general to boot.

Gillam's "the guy" for me the rest of the year.

He has also recaptured the national lead in GAA and Sv%.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2015 05:45PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: dbilmes (32.218.120.---)
Date: January 25, 2015 07:14PM

Trotsky

We played pretty well; we just kept losing a kid every 10 minutes or so like a house in the woods horror movie.
I wasn't able to follow the Dartmouth game. Which players did we lose to injury during the game?

Date: January 25, 2015 07:37PM

Scersk '97
Even when we went down 4-0, I couldn't stop watching, since it felt like there might be a comeback. Too little too late—at least we won the third period…

Although I appreciated getting another look at Rauter, who looked pretty good out there, and I'm never bothered by Stoick at D, unlike a member or two of our "actual" top six, the injuries are starting to pile up, indeed.

Regarding the defensemen, one hopes that Willcox will be back soon, and one hopes that McCarron will be back at all. Anderson is starting to wear on me, and Wedman's just not there yet. Regardless of the mountain of minutes he plays, Ryan is taking some time to round back into form. Other teams also seem to be keying on him. I'm hoping he comes on late, perhaps when he doesn't have to babysit other D men as often. MacDonald has been nothing but a very pleasant mild surprise—I expected the D, but the O has been a nice bonus.

Regarding the forwards, I'm going to take back some of what I wrote about Bardreau recently. The last couple of games showed far more of what I expect out of him as a senior. Hilbrich and Buckles are turning into consistent scoring threats, and, considering last night, perhaps the puck should flow to Freschi much more often. I'm glad to see Kubiak back, but he needs to use his size more effectively. Weidner is starting to take control; it's great to have another dependable center beyond Bardreau. We're starting to own the dot again, and that's been an important part of our past playoff successes.

John McCarron remains the great mystery. You have to go back to Joe Devin to find a captain who had a truly great year, and I think we all know who the last truly great single captain was. Heavy is the head…

I think as of right now the play of MacDonald makes him the best offensive defencemen that Cornell has. I'm not sure if it's like you said teams are keying on Ryan, he is still recovering from injury, or MacDonald's play has improved that much. I don't think his play has improved enough to overtake Ryan completely but he's certainly taking control offensively when he can and he's carrying the puck into the offensive zone very well.

Also, did I miss something with Patrick McCarron? The "McCarron will be back at all" comment leaves me puzzled.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2015 08:05PM

MattS

Also, did I miss something with Patrick McCarron? The "McCarron will be back at all" comment leaves me puzzled.

Shoulder re-injured at Union.

Date: January 25, 2015 08:06PM

MattS

No, I was just wondering when he would be back. He's been out three games now.

After writing what I did, I watched the Dartmouth postgame, hoping that Schafer might mention something about injuries. Indeed, Schafer said that Willcox and McCarron are at least questionable for next weekend—probably nothing long-term, but he just doesn't know exactly when either will be back.

Date: January 25, 2015 10:16PM

Scersk '97
MattS

No, I was just wondering when he would be back. He's been out three games now.

After writing what I did, I watched the Dartmouth postgame, hoping that Schafer might mention something about injuries. Indeed, Schafer said that Willcox and McCarron are at least questionable for next weekend—probably nothing long-term, but he just doesn't know exactly when either will be back.

Ok. I misread what you wrote. I thought you meant his injury was a career ending kind of thing.

Date: January 26, 2015 09:43AM

dbilmes
Trotsky

I wasn't able to follow the Dartmouth game. Which players did we lose to injury during the game?
At least Fiegl. Add that P. McCarron was hurt prior to Harvard, then Willcox, Bliss and Ryan were all bashed up at some point over the weekend.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login