Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell-Harvard 1/23

Posted by Rita 
Cornell-Harvard 1/23
Posted by: Rita (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 23, 2015 09:25PM

bananabananabananabananabananabananabananabananabananabananabanana

Re: Cornell-Harvard 1/23
Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2015 09:41PM

Hilbrich

Freschi GWG
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2015 10:25PM by marty.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.129.41.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: January 23, 2015 09:41PM

Couldn't find any dancing fish, huh?

Posted by: BearLover (---.wrls.harvard.edu)
Date: January 23, 2015 09:48PM

Thanks so much! Any chance you could post the Bardreau goal?

Also, bananabananabananabananabananabananabananabananabananabananabanana

Posted by: Rita (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 23, 2015 09:57PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Couldn't find any dancing fish, huh?

I've been audio only this season so I;m not up on the latest and greatest in Cornell video, but I just looked at the goals Marty posted (thank you!). May be the person who did the "exploding bear" thing before the replays can make dancing fish for us :).

Date: January 23, 2015 10:23PM

These are better copies:

Bardreau

Hilbrich

Freschi's GWG

Posted by: newpops (98.159.212.---)
Date: January 23, 2015 11:00PM

I took my 8 year old son to his first game at Lynah. Good one to start on! LGR!!!

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 24, 2015 08:57AM

some thoughts.

Cornell played pretty well most of the game. a couple great saves on the 2 breakaways, both teams hit a couple posts, but cornell generated more quality chances.

you can see that Cornell lacks the speed of harvard, too many times harvard skated around cornell players causing issues.

did anyone see something as to why the 2 times harvard ran over Gillum nothing was called? I would assume some kind of cornell push but I had a pretty good view of the second one and didnt see any cornell contact.

the refs just completely ignored the extra skaters harvard put on the ice after the one icing call. 5 guys came over the boards and the 2 refs who were standing right there put their hands up to say no change and then ignored it and skated away and harvard ended up with 7 men for the faceoff? could not have been more blatant,

Posted by: dbilmes (73.182.129.---)
Date: January 24, 2015 11:06AM

Here's the Harvard Crimson story on the game. We're supposed to feel sorry for them because two of their top players were injured during the game.

Date: January 24, 2015 11:19AM

Here are complete highlights and the postgame interviews:

Highlights

Interviews

Notably, at 2:00 in the post-game, Schafer comments on how terrible the fans have been (overall, not for the Harvard Game) in past years.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2015 12:59PM by BearLover.

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 24, 2015 12:29PM

BearLover

Highlights

Interviews

Notably, at 2:00 in the post-game, Schafer comments on how terrible the fans have been in past years.

Curious.
Terrible in what way? Attitude? Attendance?
I did notice that they were throwing cheaper types of fish this year.

crazy

Date: January 24, 2015 12:55PM

Johnny 5
BearLover

Highlights

Interviews

Notably, at 2:00 in the post-game, Schafer comments on how terrible the fans have been in past years.

Curious.

crazy

Wasn't he speaking of other games? I thought his meaning was that he wanted the electricity that was in Lynah last night to be there always - with an extra bit for games against rivals like Harvard.

Date: January 24, 2015 12:57PM

Johnny 5
BearLover

Highlights

Interviews

Curious.

crazy
This has been discussed on here ad nauseam (there are multiple threads devoted to the topic), but yeah, both attitude and attendance. I've found the Harvard Game crowds to be as great as always, but the other games' crowds to be much more late/absent/quiet than those of 8 years ago.

Wasn't he speaking of other games? I thought his meaning was that he wanted the electricity that was in Lynah last night to be there always - with an extra bit for games against rivals like Harvard.
Yeah. Sorry if that wasn't clear from above.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2015 12:58PM by BearLover.

Posted by: ajh258 (64.212.61.---)
Date: January 24, 2015 01:12PM

BearLover

Highlights

Interviews

Notably, at 2:00 in the post-game, Schafer comments on how terrible the fans have been (overall, not for the Harvard Game) in past years.

Wouldn't be a problem if he made the NCAA tourney a bit more often and win some games when he gets there.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 24, 2015 01:46PM

ajh258

Wouldn't be a problem if he made the NCAA tourney a bit more often and win some games when he gets there.

Gotta throw the bullshit flag on that one. Winning games in-season is the thing. Playing an entertaining brand of hockey also would help- not necessarily wide-open offensively but also not in a style that makes you feel like it's over if we go down 1-0. Even hoops filled the gym when they were winning before NCAA bids came out. Win in season and the ECAC and NCAA follows.

Last night's team looked NOTHING like the team that lost to RPI and Princeton. Gimme last night's team consistently and the crowds will be there again.

What a game we got from Gillam!

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: January 24, 2015 01:58PM

TimV
ajh258

Gotta throw the bullshit flag on that one. Winning games in-season is the thing. Playing an entertaining brand of hockey also would help- not necessarily wide-open offensively but also not in a style that makes you feel like it's over if we go down 1-0. Even hoops filled the gym when they were winning before NCAA bids came out. Win in season and the ECAC and NCAA follows.

Last night's team looked NOTHING like the team that lost to RPI and Princeton. Gimme last night's team consistently and the crowds will be there again.

If a few .500 seasons mixed in with more winning seasons means that we're not winning enough to support our team, we're a pretty crap fanbase.

I feel like a lot of people have forgotten (or maybe never knew. That's me when it comes to Cornell hockey; I've only been watching for a decade) what actually sucking is like.

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 24, 2015 02:31PM

Dafatone
TimV
ajh258

If a few .500 seasons mixed in with more winning seasons means that we're not winning enough to support our team, we're a pretty crap fanbase.

I feel like a lot of people have forgotten (or maybe never knew. That's me when it comes to Cornell hockey; I've only been watching for a decade) what actually sucking is like.

Ah, yes....grandad remembers Lou Reycroft fondly!!
Not.

pain

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2015 02:56PM

Johnny 5
Curious.

crazy

I thought it was worth typing up the quote:

The atmosphere [for] Harvard is always electric. I wish our fans would show up for the games like that all the time. I mean, that's the way Lynah was for every home game...I mean, the fans would show up, and they'd be there...the Harvard game would just take on a different level. It's quite noticeable, even this year, the electricity was in the building for the start of the game.

Echoing the stodgy old-people complaints made on this board. Show up to the games and be loud for the puck-drop.

Also, I'm surprised I liked his response to the question about how the 1st line was executing: "Which 1st line?" The way departures and injuries have left this team, there really is no 1st line. For success, they need contributions from a lot of unexpected sources.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 24, 2015 03:14PM

RichH
Also, I'm surprised I liked his response to the question about how the 1st line was executing: "Which 1st line?" The way departures and injuries have left this team, there really is no 1st line. For success, they need contributions from a lot of unexpected sources.

Although I like your interpretation of that comment, I don't think he meant it that way. The announced and puck drop line were not an actual line, but an agglomeration of upperclassmen. I thought it was a way to acknowledge this last F&F for the seniors, and he might have been telling the seniors, "this is your team, go set the tone." Which they promptly did, with an electric first few shifts that in turn helped the crowd get into it.

I am as old and stodgy as many here, but I believe there is a lot of truth to the notion that The System (TM) sucks the energy out of the crowd. Last night's game was VERY exciting, up-tempo, with many rushes each way, a great many close chances for both teams, and just generally a strong, well-paced, offensive effort by both teams. Ironically (or tellingly), the period of the game that was closest to our traditional style was the middle third, which was also the period during which we were greatly outplayed. On the other hand, we dominated Harvard for much of the second, when we were playing a hard-checking but also far more open style.

Finally, although IIRC they were held off the scoresheet, for my money the fourth line won this game. They are such tenacious checkers, with so much energy, and their continual almost frantic backchecking and pestiferousness ignites the crowd and the rest of the team. Plus, they actually created a couple legitimately dangerous scoring chances of their own, and they gave Baldy another factor to juggle lines around.

This was one of the most fun games I've seen at Lynah in a long, long time, and I hope we see a feisty crowd and an aggressive team tonight.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2015 03:53PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 24, 2015 04:17PM

Sooooo.....Lets play just a little more openly and get those leads.rock

Posted by: Towerroad (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 24, 2015 05:39PM

RichH
Johnny 5
Curious.

crazy

I thought it was worth typing up the quote:

The atmosphere [for] Harvard is always electric. I wish our fans would show up for the games like that all the time. I mean, that's the way Lynah was for every home game...I mean, the fans would show up, and they'd be there...the Harvard game would just take on a different level. It's quite noticeable, even this year, the electricity was in the building for the start of the game.

Echoing the stodgy old-people complaints made on this board. Show up to the games and be loud for the puck-drop.

Sorry, it sounds like there is a sense of entitlement here. Note to coach, Like most of us, you have to compete for your customers!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2015 06:16PM by Towerroad.

Posted by: ajh258 (64.212.61.---)
Date: January 25, 2015 11:27AM

TimV
ajh258

I disagree. I think our play has been OK last few years, we just didn't win when it counted. You are always going to have the townies/dedicated old timers as long as you play well, and that's not the problem here.

To the average fan, what matters is winning and winning championships. That's the bottom line.

Date: January 25, 2015 11:52AM

ajh258
TimV
ajh258

I disagree. I think our play has been OK last few years, we just didn't win when it counted. You are always going to have the townies/dedicated old timers as long as you play well, and that's not the problem here.

To the average fan, what matters is winning and winning championships. That's the bottom line.
Most students considering buying tickets have literally no idea how Cornell did the season before. Cornell Hockey is a social event first, a rooting interest second.

With that said, winning probably creates enough excitement to fill the few hundred or so empty seats and get the students in more on-time. But I think the style of play and cracking down on alcohol/fan behavior is as much to blame for a quieter Lynah as the downturn in success. Most of all, though, the problem is ticket prices.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2015 11:57AM by BearLover.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login