Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

State of eLynah Address

Posted by TimV 
State of eLynah Address
Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2015 04:24PM

The state of eLynah is NOT strong.

As of this moment, 4:22 PM, January 23, 2015, there are more posts during Harvard Game Week on the basketball thread than on the Harvard Sucks thread.

WTF???cry

Re: State of eLynah Address
Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2015 04:42PM

TimV

As of this moment, 4:22 PM, January 23, 2015, there are more posts during Harvard Game Week on the basketball thread than on the Harvard Sucks thread.

WTF???cry

Possibly related to the arrest of Sheldon Silver? We are the land-grant school...
screwy

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2015 05:20PM

TimV

WTF???cry

Yeah, the entire vibe is weak. My daughter will be there tonight; I'll be curious as to her perception of the energy in the rink.

Posted by: BMac (72.22.181.---)
Date: January 23, 2015 06:22PM

Vibe's been weak for a while. How many actual undergrads come here anymore? Seems like it's just an old guard thing now.

Posted by: Tom Lento (199.201.64.---)
Date: January 23, 2015 06:41PM

BMac
Vibe's been weak for a while. How many actual undergrads come here anymore? Seems like it's just an old guard thing now.

Let's be honest, it's been an old guard thing for a very long time. I suspect a big part of the problem is it's a custom login on a custom domain for an online message board. How many college students routinely use standalone message boards for stuff like this these days?

Nothing against Age - I think eLynah is very well done and the community has generally been great - I just don't think it's a thing that will catch student attention the way it used to because it's no longer the medium students are inclined to use.

Posted by: Rita (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 23, 2015 07:04PM

Because it is the Harvard game I wore my jersey to work today.

Let's Go RED!!!!

I have no idea what the kids do today but even though I can't get in as often, I'm glad ELF is here. Thank you Age.

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: January 23, 2015 08:38PM

Amen Rita.

I am also struck by how the basic funcitonality of social media such as Facebook is not fundamentally different from a bulletin board/forum. Yet the bulletin board is oh so more conventient. The only thing that I would like to see is a Like button (and Age did have one for a while IIRC).

Posted by: Iceberg (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 23, 2015 09:06PM

Call me a blasphemer but I actually enjoyed the Dartmouth games more when I was a student. There always seemed to be an edge because of Gaudet and co.

But that could also be because I was able to get tickets to those easier whistle
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2015 09:06PM by Iceberg.

Posted by: BMac (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 23, 2015 09:17PM

Gaudet.... Or Joe Grossman?

Anyways, when did we get instant replay? This is so nice.

Date: January 23, 2015 09:24PM

New favorite thing: the camera at the section a door. I got to watch the entire Harvard team walk off dejectedly.

WHOOOOO!!!

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2015 03:17PM

Tom Lento
BMac

Let's be honest, it's been an old guard thing for a very long time. I suspect a big part of the problem is it's a custom login on a custom domain for an online message board. How many college students routinely use standalone message boards for stuff like this these days?

Nothing against Age - I think eLynah is very well done and the community has generally been great - I just don't think it's a thing that will catch student attention the way it used to because it's no longer the medium students are inclined to use.

Pretty much this. I haven't even glanced at the USCHO board in years (meaning I'm part of the problem, no wait...it was that board that was the problem), but I imagine traffic there is also lower than in the hey-day of the early-aughts.

For some reason (laziness), I'm still digest-subscribed to Hockey-L, if you want to talk about a dead community. The only posts these days are Sara Fagen posting her own often-incorrect SLU box scores, and then a plea the week before the FF to continue the Hockey-L banquet.

And up until the product improved, the most common posts on eLF were complaints about the video feeds. Now we all can enjoy watching the games from wherever and there are tons of ways we can get game/score updates and analysis. Heck, even the chat room is relatively barren & quiet.

In conclusion, my social security check bounced, stuff costs more than it used to, and young people use curse words.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2015 03:24PM by RichH.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2015 05:16PM

Wait, wait, undergrads don't post on message boards any more? What else is there? I guess I'm old because I don't know.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: quickrabbit5 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 24, 2015 05:37PM

BMac

I'm an undergrad! I lurk quite a bit but I don't know nearly as much about hockey as you guys do so I don't feel like I have much to add by posting. I love reading the post game threads though to get a general analysis of the game/how we played.

Date: January 24, 2015 07:25PM

Ha, don't assume any of us actually know what we're talking about!

And thanks for posting. Bring your friends.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: January 24, 2015 08:33PM

quickrabbit5
BMac

I'm an undergrad! I lurk quite a bit but I don't know nearly as much about hockey as you guys do so I don't feel like I have much to add by posting. I love reading the post game threads though to get a general analysis of the game/how we played.

But not being all that informed is the best way to make strong illogical claims on the internet!

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2015 09:38PM

I could see an eLynah or eLynah competitor on Facebook. Not that I'm in favor. I waste enough time on FB and I'd feel obligated to check FB-eLynah every 15 minutes. Or less.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: January 29, 2015 01:56AM

If Rich had not mentioned Hockey-L, I would have. To this old timer the strange thing about the dominance of social networks is that the model of proprietary online communities failed big time when it was tried in the 90s (AOL, Prodigy, CompuServe) in favor of providers letting everyone on the internet. And yet it is taking over in its current incarnation...

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: January 29, 2015 06:21PM

jtwcornell91
If Rich had not mentioned Hockey-L, I would have. To this old timer the strange thing about the dominance of social networks is that the model of proprietary online communities failed big time when it was tried in the 90s (AOL, Prodigy, CompuServe) in favor of providers letting everyone on the internet. And yet it is taking over in its current incarnation...

Becuase it is free! (or is it?)

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (204.27.156.---)
Date: January 30, 2015 07:48AM

Roy 82
jtwcornell91

Becuase it is free! (or is it?)

When all of your personal information gets sold to the highest bidder by some mafioso in Moscow, you'll see how free it is.help
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2015 11:27AM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 30, 2015 10:20AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
When all of your personal information gets sold to the highest bidder by some mifioso in Moscow, you'll see how free it is.help

"If the product is free, it's not the product, you are."

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (204.27.156.---)
Date: January 30, 2015 11:27AM

Trotsky
Jeff Hopkins '82
When all of your personal information gets sold to the highest bidder by some mafioso in Moscow, you'll see how free it is.help

"If the product is free, it's not the product, you are."

Hadn't heard that before, but I wholeheartedly agree.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2015 11:27AM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Posted by: jeh25 (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2015 09:48PM

And I haven't been here in like a decade, and logged in solely to find Rich's email address for an unrelated issue, and lo and behold I see the same old names... so yeah.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login