Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell at RPI

Posted by Trotsky 
Cornell at RPI
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 17, 2015 06:41PM

One lineup change: Anderson in for Patrick McCarron.

Re: Cornell at RPI
Posted by: Ken711 (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 17, 2015 09:02PM

Cornell down 3-0 at 12:54 in the 3rd period.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 17, 2015 09:15PM

while the result was not great I thought cornell played a better game than what the played vs union.. a couple mistakes on D led to goals but tons of scoring chances and creative play on offense. just nothing went in the net.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 17, 2015 09:36PM

upprdeck
while the result was not great I thought cornell played a better game than what the played vs union.. a couple mistakes on D led to goals but tons of scoring chances and creative play on offense. just nothing went in the net.

Kasdorf, too?

Date: January 17, 2015 09:55PM

The final 3 minutes with the goalie pulled, we won every faceoff in the offensive end and set up a ton of screened shots. It was pure bad luck we didn't get at least one goal out of it, particularly Dias' (?) who had Kasdorf dead to right from 2 feet away, and Ryan's perfect angle shot that just brushed the blocker and went an inch wide of the far post.

Losing sucks, but we played well except for the first 5 minutes of the final period. That was where we lost the game.

Posted by: BearLover (---.wrls.harvard.edu)
Date: January 18, 2015 12:05AM

Trotsky
The final 3 minutes with the goalie pulled, we won every faceoff in the offensive end and set up a ton of screened shots. It was pure bad luck we didn't get at least one goal out of it, particularly Dias' (?) who had Kasdorf dead to right from 2 feet away, and Ryan's perfect angle shot that just brushed the blocker and went an inch wide of the far post.

Losing sucks, but we played well except for the first 5 minutes of the final period. That was where we lost the game.
Bad luck, or the fact that this team doesn't really know how to play offense?

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 18, 2015 06:15AM

marty
upprdeck

Kasdorf, too?

IMO, Kasdorf was the difference. He appears to have returned to the form of two years ago after a couple of injuries. Neither team has a potent offense, and both teams' defenses played pretty well.

BTW, I am curious as to how well the Cornell audio was synched to RPI-TV's feed. I assume that some of you watched RPI-TV with the Cornell audio link.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 18, 2015 08:59AM

Kasdorf was good, but the offense seems to have some issues setting themselves up for good offensive chances. Lots and lots of boardplay but nothing really resulting from it.

The RPI guy also seemed to have a lot of trouble with pronouncing names (Bardeau).

Date: January 18, 2015 09:31AM

Iceberg
The RPI guy also seemed to have a lot of trouble with pronouncing names (Bardeau).

"Gillam" was an adventure, too. I heard at least four variations.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2015 12:07PM

Iceberg
Kasdorf was good, but the offense seems to have some issues setting themselves up for good offensive chances. Lots and lots of boardplay but nothing really resulting from it.

This seems to me the crux of the matter, and is a concern to me for the remainder of this season and especially the next few seasons. Right now Bardeau is clearly our most creative and dangerous forward, and there doesn't appear to be anyone in the classes behind him who will be able to fill his role. We just don't have enough guys who can create off the rush, and notwithstanding the oft-repeated comments about our great size, we do not seem to win enough battles in the corners that produce even reasonable scoring opportunities, except on the power play.

Add in next year's loss of Ryan and MacDonald on the blueline, and the offensive problems only seem to be more glaring.

We can only hope there are some decently talented forwards in next year's Freshman class, as we sure are going to need them.

Date: January 18, 2015 12:34PM

Iceberg

(born about 1670 Fürth, died 31 January 1721 Aub
Whose offense are you referring to by "the offense seems to have some issues setting themselves up for good offensive chances"?

Even I noticed that "Bardeau" was pronounced differently almost every time that Tom said his name. That surprised me because I am sure that he knows the proper way. Perhaps it was nervousness since he doesn't do play-by-play often. I am surprised that you listened to WRPI's audio rather than Cornell's, or didn't the link to that from RPI-TV work properly ?

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2015 01:22PM

scoop85
Right now Bardeau is clearly our most creative and dangerous forward, and there doesn't appear to be anyone in the classes behind him who will be able to fill his role.

I can't more strenuously disgree. With the exception of McCarron, whose troubles (.62 ppg frosh–junior; .35 ppg senior) are almost not worth going into, Bardreau is our least dangerous forward, precisely because he probably wouldn't hit the broadside of a barn with an 18-wheeler these days. Indeed, I saw him given a lane to the net last night with no one stepping in because, obviously, RPI knows what's going on with us and with him. He's also the king of the the unnecessary, ticky-tacky extra pass that, in its unfathomable brilliance, absolutely wastes a golden scoring opportunity. For all his flash and dash, what he needs to do is simplify his game and put the puck on net, low and hard to the stick side to generate some rebounds. Until he starts scoring at somewhere near the pace he has historically, teams are going to wait for him to dish. He needs to restore league-wide respect for his scoring ability.

Our only dangerous forwards are Buckles and Hilbrich. Why? Because they shoot without being fancy and can put the puck in the net. If I were Schafer, I'd put McCarron and Bardreau back together (maybe with Dias) as some kind of "super checking line" and fill the rest of the lines with junior-sophomore combos that can start developing chemistry for next year. This would not be throwing in the towel, either; rather, I think it's the best use of these guys. Maybe Bardreau would fire McCarron back up; maybe Dias's speed could be used by Bardreau to offensive benefit.

PS Kubiak's been out for three games now? Out of favor or injured? I think we miss him.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.sub-70-209-132.myvzw.com)
Date: January 18, 2015 02:20PM

Scersk '97
scoop85
Right now Bardeau is clearly our most creative and dangerous forward, and there doesn't appear to be anyone in the classes behind him who will be able to fill his role.

I can't more strenuously disgree. With the exception of McCarron, whose troubles (.62 ppg frosh–junior; .35 ppg senior) are almost not worth going into, Bardreau is our least dangerous forward, precisely because he probably wouldn't hit the broadside of a barn with an 18-wheeler these days. Indeed, I saw him given a lane to the net last night with no one stepping in because, obviously, RPI knows what's going on with us and with him. He's also the king of the the unnecessary, ticky-tacky extra pass that, in its unfathomable brilliance, absolutely wastes a golden scoring opportunity. For all his flash and dash, what he needs to do is simplify his game and put the puck on net, low and hard to the stick side to generate some rebounds. Until he starts scoring at somewhere near the pace he has historically, teams are going to wait for him to dish. He needs to restore league-wide respect for his scoring ability.

Our only dangerous forwards are Buckles and Hilbrich. Why? Because they shoot without being fancy and can put the puck in the net. If I were Schafer, I'd put McCarron and Bardreau back together (maybe with Dias) as some kind of "super checking line" and fill the rest of the lines with junior-sophomore combos that can start developing chemistry for next year. This would not be throwing in the towel, either; rather, I think it's the best use of these guys. Maybe Bardreau would fire McCarron back up; maybe Dias's speed could be used by Bardreau to offensive benefit.

PS Kubiak's been out for three games now? Out of favor or injured? I think we miss him.

I get that Bardreau's shooting is imperfect (to say the least) and Buckles and Hilbrich can actually hit the net. But at least watching Bardreau I have at least a faint belief that something might happen to create a scoring opportunity.

Posted by: KeithK (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2015 02:27PM

ursusminor
I am surprised that you listened to WRPI's audio rather than Cornell's, or didn't the link to that from RPI-TV work properly ?
I clicked the Cornell audio button but still got the RPI feed. It really wasn't enough of a big deal to figure out whether I was doing something wrong.

Date: January 18, 2015 03:07PM

KeithK
ursusminor
I am surprised that you listened to WRPI's audio rather than Cornell's, or didn't the link to that from RPI-TV work properly ?
I clicked the Cornell audio button but still got the RPI feed. It really wasn't enough of a big deal to figure out whether I was doing something wrong.

Thanks. That's interesting.

Date: January 18, 2015 03:15PM

ursusminor
Even I noticed that "Bardeau" was pronounced differently almost every time that Tom said his name. That surprised me because I am sure that he knows the proper way. Perhaps it was nervousness since he doesn't do play-by-play often.

I didn't realize that wasn't the normal PBP guy. Please pass on that despite the occasional re-christening, I thought he did an excellent job calling the action.

Date: January 18, 2015 03:23PM

scoop85
Scersk '97
scoop85

I get that Bardreau's shooting is imperfect (to say the least) and Buckles and Hilbrich can actually hit the net. But at least watching Bardreau I have at least a faint belief that something might happen to create a scoring opportunity.

I agree with this. If I was looking at the seniors, I wouldn't cite 22 as the dropoff. That belongs, incomprehensibly, to 14.

Among the underclassmen Weidner and Freschi have found another gear since last year, Buckles is (gasp) a finisher, and I think Bliss has the makings of a creative playmaker on the point. I think we've raised the floor, too -- there aren't guys skating who don't belong on a D1 sheet, as there were the prior couple seasons. The frosh who play are farther along than the last two classes were as second semester freshmen.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2015 03:24PM by Trotsky.

Date: January 18, 2015 03:45PM

Trotsky
scoop85
Scersk '97
scoop85

I agree with this. If I was looking at the seniors, I wouldn't cite 22 as the dropoff. That belongs, incomprehensibly, to 14.

Among the underclassmen Weidner and Freschi have found another gear since last year, Buckles is (gasp) a finisher, and I think Bliss has the makings of a creative playmaker on the point. I think we've raised the floor, too -- there aren't guys skating who don't belong on a D1 sheet, as there were the prior couple seasons. The frosh who play are farther along than the last two classes were as second semester freshmen.
The only Class of '15ers who markedly improved since freshman year are MacDonald and Ryan. The forwards, including Lowry and Ferlin, started out great but ended up largely stuck in the mud.

Date: January 18, 2015 03:58PM

The reality of the game last night was that the play was even and RPI's goals were flukish/great individual efforts. But Cornell is almost completely incapable of setting up/finishing a scoring chance, so they couldn't overcome those unlucky goals, and deservedly so.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2015 04:01PM by BearLover.

Posted by: ithacat (---.cbs.cornell.edu)
Date: January 19, 2015 02:24PM

Mike needs to take a good look at either his staff or his recruiting profile. As the game increasing opens up his offense numbers continue to regress. The last 3 seasons (including this one) have produced the 3 lowest scoring teams in the past 12 seasons -- and the 4 lowest have been during the past 5 seasons. 7 NHL draft picks and the #1 goalie in the country and we have a losing record. Gillam is the only goalie ranked in the top 15 nationally who plays for a school with a losing record.

Posted by: margolism (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2015 03:39PM

Looking at the incoming recruits for next year, I don't see a bunch of prolific scorers joining the team.

Looking at their stats thus far, of the 8 recruits listed for next year, 6 of them have a combined 16 goals.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 19, 2015 03:41PM

margolism
Looking at the incoming recruits for next year, I don't see a bunch of prolific scorers joining the team.

Looking at their stats thus far, of the 8 recruits listed for next year, 6 of them have a combined 16 goals.

Are they big?

Posted by: ajh258 (64.212.61.---)
Date: January 19, 2015 04:00PM

Mike Schafer has done a good job and no one disputes his contributions to the team, but it has been more evident year after year that he should start thinking about passing the torch. Maybe there will be a good season here and there, but bigger picture, fans have lowered their expectations over time and the program has reached a plateau.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.customer.alter.net)
Date: January 19, 2015 04:14PM

ajh258
Mike Schafer has done a good job and no one disputes his contributions to the team, but it has been more evident year after year that he should start thinking about passing the torch. Maybe there will be a good season here and there, but bigger picture, fans have lowered their expectations over time and the program has reached a plateau.
The much lower level of interest resulting from the program's troubles reflects itself in much lower traffic to ELynah. Evidently, a lot of long-time fans can't bring themselves to care if the team isn't doing well, a decision that isn't necessarily made consciously but may simply be a result of drifting towards more entertaining ways to spend Friday and Saturday nights. I certainly plead guilty, though (as I've said many times in the past) I am probably a poor fan as I can't bring myself to live or die by a team simply because of the name on the uniform. My entertainment dollars/minutes are precious to me.

Date: January 19, 2015 04:23PM

ajh258
I've never advocated for firing Schafer in the past, but I think he should get one more year (his contract runs out in 2016, I believe) and if nothing changes then it's time to move on. Schafer apologists' arguments have always been predicated upon the notion that with Cornell's academic and scholarship restrictions, it would be unfair to hold the team to a higher standard than being successful in its own conference and hoping to make noise at the national level. Two things have changed: one, Cornell is no longer especially successful in its own conference; many teams have passed us by. Two, the notion that Cornell cannot be an elite national program due to its restrictions has been proven invalid: Yale won it all and has been nationally competitive for years now, and Harvard is among the best few teams in the nation thus far this year. That is to say, there was nothing truly exceptional about Cornell's success over the past decade or so.

This team is not good. It has not been very good for a number of years. The Lynah atmosphere is nothing like it used to be. I think it's about time to move on.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2015 04:23PM by BearLover.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: January 19, 2015 05:52PM

BearLover
ajh258
I've never advocated for firing Schafer in the past, but I think he should get one more year (his contract runs out in 2016, I believe) and if nothing changes then it's time to move on. Schafer apologists' arguments have always been predicated upon the notion that with Cornell's academic and scholarship restrictions, it would be unfair to hold the team to a higher standard than being successful in its own conference and hoping to make noise at the national level. Two things have changed: one, Cornell is no longer especially successful in its own conference; many teams have passed us by. Two, the notion that Cornell cannot be an elite national program due to its restrictions has been proven invalid: Yale won it all and has been nationally competitive for years now, and Harvard is among the best few teams in the nation thus far this year. That is to say, there was nothing truly exceptional about Cornell's success over the past decade or so.

This team is not good. It has not been very good for a number of years. The Lynah atmosphere is nothing like it used to be. I think it's about time to move on.

I'm not 100% sure I disagree (I wouldn't make any moves until the end of next year. If his contract is up then, it may be a good time to change coaches. Depending on how the next season and a half goes), I do want to point out that our "bad" stretch is, roughly, about six seasons where we alternate between doing well and going .500. A .500 season still only puts you in the middle of the pack (roughly, given disparities in conferences).

We haven't had the success we'd like to have lately, and an argument could be made that Schafer has lost the ability to achieve that success, but it's not like we've been a dumpster fire.

As to vanishing Lynah energy, eLynah traffic, etc, I'm not really sure. Lack of success is a part of it, but as to the rink itself, I still blame students getting harassed by ushers from '07 on just for being loud.

Posted by: CAS (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2015 06:43PM

2 of the recruits due to arrive in the fall are NHL draft picks - one taken in the 3rd round and one in the 5th round.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 20, 2015 12:28PM

CAS
2 of the recruits due to arrive in the fall are NHL draft picks - one taken in the 3rd round and one in the 5th round.
That's Starrett and Angello. Both are big (6-5). Here are their numbers this year:

Angello: 9-7-16 with 43 PIM in 30 GP for the Omaha Lancers of the USHL. He's 6th on a team whose leading scorer is 10-26-36.

Starrett: According to Elite Prospects he hasn't played a game this year for South Shore Kings in the USPHL. The only articles about him I found expected him to come in and replace Ferlin this year. Last year he was 11-36-47 with 94 (?!) PIM in 48 GP for the Kings.

tl; dr: Neither is going to be Matt Moulson.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2015 12:29PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: jkahn (---.bobbroadband.com)
Date: January 20, 2015 12:58PM

Trotsky
CAS
That's Starrett and Angello. Both are big (6-5). Here are their numbers this year:

Angello: 9-7-16 with 43 PIM in 30 GP for the Omaha Lancers of the USHL. He's 6th on a team whose leading scorer is 10-26-36.

Starrett: According to Elite Prospects he hasn't played a game this year for South Shore Kings in the USPHL. The only articles about him I found expected him to come in and replace Ferlin this year. Last year he was 11-36-47 with 94 (?!) PIM in 48 GP for the Kings.

Starrett was out with a shoulder injury at the start of the season. Played seven games (2 goals, 3 assists), but apparently out with an injury again.
[www.usphl.com]

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 20, 2015 01:14PM

jkahn
Trotsky
CAS

Starrett was out with a shoulder injury at the start of the season. Played seven games (2 goals, 3 assists), but apparently out with an injury again.
[www.usphl.com]

Thanks. Any idea if the injury was why he didn't jump to Cornell this year?

Posted by: ithacat (---.cbs.cornell.edu)
Date: January 20, 2015 02:05PM

Trotsky
CAS

Of the forwards most likely to arrive next fall, Vanderlaan is currently 36th in scoring in the Alberta league (42nd in goals), that's about as good as it gets right now. The following year doesn't look like it's any better as it appears to be almost exclusively power forwards.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login