Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Lowry injury update

Posted by ACM 
Lowry injury update
Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 14, 2015 08:33AM

Re: Lowry injury update
Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 14, 2015 10:13AM

That's too bad. Regardless of the impact on the team, I hate to see a guy who's put his heart and soul on the line be unable to finish his career on the ice.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2015 11:09AM

On a related note, Mike's email discussing the north country games said Gillam's injury happened in the early morning skate on Saturday. Maybe sleeping-in would be a better approach.;-)

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 14, 2015 11:51AM

According to Schafer, Lowry — a 2011 fifth-round draft pick of the Los Angeles Kings — had an opportunity to sign a pro contract over the summer and forego his senior year but chose to return to school and earn his degree.

Double. Ouch.

Heal and farewell, Joel.

Posted by: BearLover (---.wrls.harvard.edu)
Date: January 14, 2015 12:31PM

Really a shame since Lowry could have followed in the footsteps of his brother and father and skipped college to go pro, or followed Ferlin and skipped his senior year, but instead came to Cornell and showed an incredible commitment to the team. The most enduring images of the past four years all involved him jumping atop a mass of teammates in celebration:
Lowry

As far as the team is concerned, the season is essentially over. Lowry was just about the only capable offensive player Cornell had left. No chance at an at-large bid and the rest of the conference can actually score.

Date: January 14, 2015 02:40PM

BearLover
As far as the team is concerned, the season is essentially over. Lowry was just about the only capable offensive player Cornell had left. No chance at an at-large bid and the rest of the conference can actually score.

Disagree strongly. As long as we keep holding opponents to 2 goals or fewer, we will have plenty of chances to win games. Once the playoffs come around, a goalie hotstreak and a couple of bounces and who knows?

Having seen excellent Cornell teams and terrible Cornell teams, this is neither. I predict they bob around .500 through the end of February, host a First Round game, and hope to avoid Alston and Hamilton in the QF.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: January 14, 2015 04:03PM

if we were to sweep this weekend we would probably be in 4th place. hardly a bad place to be for a team that lives on the defensive edge. the first princeton game is the is the real killer.

colgate scores .5 more game than us . only 3 teams really score and union gives up a goal more than us too.

lets get no worse than a split and come home and see how the harvard game turns out before we give up.

.500 may end up a 4 seed yet. .

Posted by: underskill (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 14, 2015 04:51PM

maybe this is like the 2000-2001 season where it was all defense and no offense; problem is I don't see anyone in the underclass who really are close to contributing offensively.

Posted by: RichH (134.223.230.---)
Date: January 14, 2015 04:59PM

underskill
maybe this is like the 2000-2001 season where it was all defense and no offense; problem is I don't see anyone in the underclass who really are close to contributing offensively.

That's always my go-to reference for weird statistical seasons. 2.00 GAA and 2.00 GFA. This season? 1.60 GAA and 1.67 GFA

Posted by: ugarte (207.239.110.---)
Date: January 15, 2015 09:24AM

He's been out for 4 games. Has 8 points. Is our leading scorer. Hilbrich has a chance to catch him... but does he?

Good luck, Joel Lowry. Hope the Kings still bring you in.

Posted by: margolism (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 15, 2015 12:13PM

Forces the younger players to step up. Might suck short term but be beneficial longer term.

Date: January 15, 2015 02:55PM

margolism
Forces the younger players to step up. Might suck short term but be beneficial longer term.

While this is always true when you have to replace somebody's minutes, I think it's especially true of this team.

The last coupla years there may have been some waiting for the vaunted class of '15 to be magic. Well, the class of '15 didn't turn out to be so magical -- not bad, but not the juggernaut it looked like 4 years ago. The class of '16 is the dictionary definition of lunchpail. So we're now a team of underclassmen, and Buckles (4), Freschi (2), Tschantz (1), Weidner (1), Yates (1), P. McCarron (1) and Bliss (1) will need to contribute more than 11 goals over the next 15 games.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2015 03:05PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: BearLover (---.wrls.harvard.edu)
Date: January 16, 2015 09:44PM

Trotsky
BearLover

Disagree strongly. As long as we keep holding opponents to 2 goals or fewer, we will have plenty of chances to win games. Once the playoffs come around, a goalie hotstreak and a couple of bounces and who knows?

Having seen excellent Cornell teams and terrible Cornell teams, this is neither. I predict they bob around .500 through the end of February, host a First Round game, and hope to avoid Alston and Hamilton in the QF.
I would LOVE to be proven wrong. Of course it is possible for them to sneak into 4th place and get lucky against considerably better teams in Lake Placid. But nothing suggests this is a good team. And even if we were a good team, we've dug ourselves such a hole that we'd have to not only be good, but be very lucky (i.e. win lots of 1-0 and 2-1 games), to make it to the NCAA's. But once again, I would be extremely happy to be wrong. And Union can suck it.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 16, 2015 10:12PM

if this team gets up to 3-4th in the ECAC they might be close to top 16 in rpi as well , just the way that stuff plays out. they need to win 5-6 in a row to make any ground up but thats doable.

Posted by: Robb (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 17, 2015 12:20PM

BearLover
Trotsky
BearLover

I would LOVE to be proven wrong. Of course it is possible for them to sneak into 4th place and get lucky against considerably better teams in Lake Placid. But nothing suggests this is a good team. And even if we were a good team, we've dug ourselves such a hole that we'd have to not only be good, but be very lucky (i.e. win lots of 1-0 and 2-1 games), to make it to the NCAA's. But once again, I would be extremely happy to be wrong. And Union can suck it.
Eh. We've got 10 points and 3rd place has 12 points, and we have a game in hand (or 3) on 3 of the 5 teams above/tied with us. Making up 2 points on that entire group will be tricky, but certainly not something that would cause me to rush out and buy lottery tickets. If we get to 3rd, we'll have gone on a decent run anyway, so then it will seem even less unlikely, because we'll have "earned" it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login