Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Friday: Princeton 2 Cornell 1

Posted by Scersk '97 
Friday: Princeton 2 Cornell 1
Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: November 07, 2014 09:11PM

The Princeton goalie played well; we also made him look good.

With regard to what other people have said about Hilbrich: the problem is—and this could be said about so many of the other players—that he has some great moves to get free with the puck, but then he makes one too many moves and either ends up behind the net, at a bad angle, or loses the puck completely. When you've got room to manuever, there's a clear lane to the net, and you're between the dots, take the fucking shot! Preferably low (I'm looking at you, McCarron) and hard enough to create a rebound.

Or, god forbid, drive to the net... Argh!!! panic
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2014 09:14PM by Scersk '97.

Re: Friday: Princeton 2 Cornell 1
Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.c3-0.smr-ubr2.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com)
Date: November 07, 2014 09:16PM

Scersk '97
The Princeton goalie played well; we also made him look good.

With regard to what other people have said about Hilbrich: the problem is—and this could be said about so many of the other players—that he has some great moves to get free with the puck, but then he makes one too many moves and either ends up behind the net, at a bad angle, or loses the puck completely. When you've got room to manuever, there's a clear lane to the net, and you're between the dots, take the fucking shot! Preferably low (I'm looking at you, McCarron) and hard enough to create a rebound.

Or, god forbid, drive to the net... Argh!!! panic
Way too many attempts to weave a centering pass through 3-4 players.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 07, 2014 09:17PM

princeton is awful. they could barely get the puck out of their own end most of the game. is it possible to have a losing record giving up one goal a game?

Posted by: gomestar (---.nj.res.rr.com)
Date: November 07, 2014 09:51PM

ECHL teams desperate for 3rd liners will have excellent luck scouting this team

Posted by: GBR1234 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 07, 2014 10:02PM

I was hoping that CU would get a an Adam Graves like player this year that could get in front of the net take the lumps and seal the deal. Nothing pretty, just put it into the net. Yes they are big & fast but I agree with other posts that they were trying to be way too fancy this week and last. I'm going to the QU game tomorrow... Judging by their performance tonight at Princeton, and Quinnipiac's 5-0 rout of Colgate this evening...it may be a rough night.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 07, 2014 11:28PM

Cornell had a lot of near-scoring chances that will be converted to goals when the offense gels. Must have been a dozen passes for deflections that didn't get on net. Colton Phinney did an amazing job in goal for Princeton: 40 saves. This game is going to hurt at the end of February when we look back on how we could have had 2 more points in the ECAC standings.

Posted by: flyersgolf (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 08, 2014 01:06AM

Just got home from Princeton, even though it was a loss I did not feel disappointed nor discouraged about this edition of the Big Red. Attendance for the game was pretty close to 50-50 as far as who you were rooting for. No bands for either side and Princeton tried to bribe students to go to the game by offering free t-shirts and pizza, less than a 100 showed up. The ice for the game was terrible, by the third period it was still wet eight minutes into the period, gamesmanship? I would not doubt.

Early power plays should have allowed the Red to take control of the game. The entries into the offensive zone were excellent and led to nice set ups with puck control. As others have noted it stops there. Generating scoring chances is not something that comes easy. I agree some shots on net, not in the goalies breadbasket, would lead to rebounds for some ugly goals. Cornell had many shots that ended up hitting the goalie in the gut or going wide. Shafer used 3 different power play combinations trying to get something to click.

One main reason not to get too frustrated right now is the depth at forward CU has. Cornell has 3 lines that generate good forechecking and the 4th line is not far behind. Shafer almost had everyone on the team taking shifts on different lines trying to get a goal.

McCarron and Lowery stay together with different centers most of the time. Fiegl and Feschi also play very well together, tenacious pair. Everyone else seems to still be looking for chemistry. John Knisely is a fearless little guy not afraid to mix it up with anyone.

As I have said before Joakim skates at a level above all other defensemen, too bad he was injured, Jake McDonald continues to get better and is even more mobile this year. On the forward end no one can keep up with Bardreau. Cole looks stronger and faster and tries to make plays some of his team mates do not even see coming. The headiest and most offensive minded player on the ice tonight was Trevor Yates. The puck just finds him. He is not afraid to shoot and is a creative passer. He is not yet in ECAC condition but he will be in time. Yates also looks like he is learning defensive zone responsibility.

Fiegl and Bliss are extremely accomplished freshman players, very solid, with quick decision making abilities. Wedman is not far behind, like Wilcox two years ago at the beginning of the season, he is adjusting to the speed of the game.

Schafer for the most part rotated 5 defensemen. Anderson got a shift here and there. P. McCarron and Wilcox are solid contributors who make good decisions most of the time. The defensemen are really pushing the play this year, I hope that continues.

Gillam deserved a 5-1 victory tonight, he was solid behind his D.

Princeton is so much better coached this year. Talent wise they do not match up well with Cornell and it showed all night. Cornell controlled play and had a wide advantage in time of possession. Princeton played like an outgunned premier league team just hoping for a tie. They were disciplined filled passing and shooting lanes clogging up the front of the net. This defense really stymied Hilbrich much of the night. Princeton's goalie got hit with a lot of pucks. He did make 3 great saves, one being very similar to the lone goal CU scored late, stopping P. MCCarron on a cross ice one timer in the 3rd.

Cornell looked as good as any team from their defensive zone to the opposing blue line. What happens in the offensive zone is a mystery. Hiring an offensive coordinator may not be a bad idea, or a shooting coach.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: November 08, 2014 10:40AM

flyersgolf
The ice for the game was terrible, by the third period it was still wet eight minutes into the period, gamesmanship? I would not doubt.

Hobey Baker can be absolutely frigid, and it was cold yesterday—sounds like gamesmanship to me.

(And, if so, hand it to the Princeton folks for understanding how to take advantage of home ice. Nothing wrong with a little gamesmanship, e.g., our visitor's locker room. )

Posted by: TimV (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 08, 2014 11:43AM

OK, but it boggles my mind that Princeton thinks they need to slow US down.wtf

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 08, 2014 11:44AM

billhoward
Cornell had a lot of near-scoring chances that will be converted to goals when the offense gels. Must have been a dozen passes for deflections that didn't get on net. Colton Phinney did an amazing job in goal for Princeton: 40 saves. This game is going to hurt at the end of February when we look back on how we could have had 2 more points in the ECAC standings.

On the other hand, if we can beat Q tonight I'll take that swap.

We need finishers. This has been the case since Moulson graduated.

Posted by: ithacat (---.mycingular.net)
Date: November 08, 2014 12:03PM

Trotsky
billhoward

if you were an elite scorerer would you want to play in this system?

Posted by: Robb (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 08, 2014 12:06PM

Trotsky
billhoward

And he's the lone bright spot since *Andison* graduated in '91. panic

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 08, 2014 05:53PM

For the h*ll of it I posted the goals on you tube.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login