Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Halloween: Cornell 1 UNO 1 (ot)

Posted by Trotsky 
Halloween: Cornell 1 UNO 1 (ot)
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 31, 2014 07:00PM

Sections empty during lineups. That's poor, Ithacans; that's poor.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2014 10:58PM by Trotsky.

Re: Halloween vs UNO
Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.dhcp.sffl.va.charter.com)
Date: October 31, 2014 09:42PM

1-1 tie...not a bad result against a quick team that has played quite a bit more hockey than the Red at this point.

What happened to Ryan? Didn't seem like he was out there at all during the 3rd period or during overtime.uhoh

Re: Halloween: Cornell 1 UNO 1 (ot)
Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 01, 2014 08:17AM

Trotsky

Sections empty during the entire game; student section included.
Maybe they were all out Halloweening? Playing X-Box? Watching Netflix??
Dunno. But, I never thought I'd see the day.

They missed a great game, the tie notwithstanding.
If coach can convince Mitch to stop playing forward they may have a respectable season?!

Tonight should be interesting. Omahaha is no laughing matter.

banana

Posted by: buttercup (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 01, 2014 08:41AM

Game scheduled on Halloween - any fans with kids were out. That's why we weren't there - but our tickets were used. I thought scheduling a game on Halloween wasn't a recipe for a full rink when I first saw it.

Posted by: redice (---.direcpc.com)
Date: November 01, 2014 09:32AM

Considering the speed & offensive skills that UNO brings to the ice, I thought CU did well to hold fhem to a mere one goal allowed......And, their goalie Massa is a stud. Getting one by him may be a considerable accomplishment... Moral: I think we'll be lucky to beat them tonight. I was very impressed with their team..... It's still early for CU. If these games were played in Jan., when Cornell is hitting their stride, we could sweep. Tonight, I'm nervous.......

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 01, 2014 10:48AM

Omaha definitely had their chances, but the one goal they did score was kind of a flukey goal. One of our guys (I don't recall who) fanned on a shot from near the blue line resulting in a 2 on 1 the other way.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: November 01, 2014 11:14AM

What happened on that goal that was discounted for us? I think Massa's mask came off? Sounded like he had mask issues all night.

Date: November 01, 2014 11:26AM

Dafatone
What happened on that goal that was discounted for us? I think Massa's mask came off? Sounded like he had mask issues all night.

I'm not certain, but I think a Cornell player interfered with Massa while he was playing the puck, resulting in the goal. My thoughts, while they were reviewing the goal, were "I hope what I think I saw isn't viewable on the tape." I guess it was.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2014 11:29AM by andyw2100.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: November 01, 2014 11:34AM

andyw2100
Dafatone

I'm not certain, but I think a Cornell player interfered with Massa while he was playing the puck, resulting in the goal. My thoughts, while they were reviewing the goal, were "I hope what I think I saw isn't viewable on the tape." I guess it was.

Brandon Thomas was cited on the broadcast that it was disallowed because of the mask coming off. That = an immediate whistle by the rules.

Date: November 01, 2014 11:45AM

RichH

Brandon Thomas was cited on the broadcast that it was disallowed because of the mask coming off. That = an immediate whistle by the rules.

I guess this could be the case, but if that were true, why the review? The ref would know if he blew the whistle before the puck crossed the goal line or not, or more to the point, if he intended to blow the whistle before the puck crossed the goal line. I'd like to hear more.

Posted by: Bahnstorm (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 01, 2014 11:48AM

Even more disturbing was the number of students who left at the end of the third because they had "parties to go to" WTH? 5 minutes of OT hockey is really going to throw off your drinking that much?

Trotsky

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: November 01, 2014 11:50AM

RichH
andyw2100
Dafatone

And you hope they look at that rule. Yes, there should the an immediate whistle to stop play when the helmet comes off. However when they review the play, they could make the determination that the helmet coming off had no impact upon the goal, thus allowing the goal. It's one thing if because the goalie's helmet came off, he couldn't make the play, or his helmet comes off without a whistle, and play continues before the goal is scored. It's a completely different thing if the helmet coming off is incidental to the goal being scored, which I think is what happened this time. I'm going to review the video, just for the fun of it.

And his helmet came off with regularity throughout the game.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: November 01, 2014 11:52AM

andyw2100
RichH

I guess this could be the case, but if that were true, why the review? The ref would know if he blew the whistle before the puck crossed the goal line or not, or more to the point, if he intended to blow the whistle before the puck crossed the goal line. I'd like to hear more.

I don't think he blew the whistle. They went to review after the goalie protested.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: November 01, 2014 12:02PM

Coach Schafer had some unusually pointed comments last night, calling out the leadership for "talking the talk, but not walking the walk" as far as sticking to the gameplan, staying within systems, taking care of the puck, etc. [youtu.be]

Date: November 01, 2014 12:42PM

Jim Hyla
RichH
andyw2100
Dafatone

And you hope they look at that rule. Yes, there should the an immediate whistle to stop play when the helmet comes off. However when they review the play, they could make the determination that the helmet coming off had no impact upon the goal, thus allowing the goal. It's one thing if because the goalie's helmet came off, he couldn't make the play, or his helmet comes off without a whistle, and play continues before the goal is scored. It's a completely different thing if the helmet coming off is incidental to the goal being scored, which I think is what happened this time. I'm going to review the video, just for the fun of it.

And his helmet came off with regularity throughout the game.

I kinda understand the necessity of losing a helmet being an automatic stop. But could UNO be hit with a delay of game if Massa's helmet continues to pop off every eight seconds?

Date: November 01, 2014 12:45PM

Jim Hyla

I don't think he blew the whistle. They went to review after the goalie protested.

I definitely saw the goalie protesting. I thought he was claiming he was interfered with.

If, in fact, he was saying his helmet had come off, that brings up an interesting element of the rules that I never thought about before. The rule is that the whistle is supposed to blow and play to stop immediately in that situation for safety reasons. But in a situation where the whistle has not blown, what would be the reason to review the play?

On another rules question, there was also a review of a Cornell non-goal where we had a delayed penalty called in the time after the point at which the puck may or may not have gone in, but before play stopped. Am I correct that if that had been ruled a goal, there also would not have been a penalty, as the clock would have been reset to the time of the goal, so the penalty would never have happened?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 01, 2014 01:03PM

andyw2100
Omaha definitely had their chances, but the one goal they did score was kind of a flukey goal. One of our guys (I don't recall who) fanned on a shot from near the blue line resulting in a 2 on 1 the other way.

Jacob MacDonald. He had an up and down game, to put it mildly. He helped set up our goal, then his whiff set up the UNO goal, and then he had a brutal turnover that led to the UNO chance where they had a 90% open net right on the doorstep and somehow pinged the post with the rebound going right to Gillam. Last Friday I thought Jake looked fantastic. He certainly seems to be out there all the time, so for good or ill he's going to have a huge impact on our D.

IMO Hillbrich had a great game, but there was diagreement on the Chat about that. I also thought Bliss looked really promising, and I think both Teemu and Patrick McCarron spent the summer doing nothing but eating protein because they have filled out.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2014 01:03PM by Trotsky.

Date: November 01, 2014 01:16PM

Trotsky
andyw2100

Jacob MacDonald. He had an up and down game, to put it mildly. He helped set up our goal, then his whiff set up the UNO goal, and then he had a brutal turnover that led to the UNO chance where they had a 90% open net right on the doorstep and somehow pinged the post with the rebound going right to Gillam. Last Friday I thought Jake looked fantastic. He certainly seems to be out there all the time, so for good or ill he's going to have a huge impact on our D.

IMO Hillbrich had a great game, but there was diagreement on the Chat about that. I also thought Bliss looked really promising, and I think both Teemu and Patrick McCarron spent the summer doing nothing but eating protein because they have filled out.

The chat! I forgot that was even a thing. It's early in the season for me, too.

Radio guys were saying that Hilbrich somehow grew another inch. That's exciting/terrifying.

Re: Halloween vs UNO
Posted by: MattS (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 01, 2014 04:20PM

DisplacedCornellian
1-1 tie...not a bad result against a quick team that has played quite a bit more hockey than the Red at this point.

What happened to Ryan? Didn't seem like he was out there at all during the 3rd period or during overtime.uhoh

Something with his right hand. I think he had ice on it and during the handshake after the game he was shaking with his left.

Posted by: MattS (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 01, 2014 04:23PM

Trotsky
andyw2100

Are you sure this was MacDonald? I think it was Wedman. If I'm thinking about the same portion of that play, it happened right in front of the visitors penalty box (& in front of where I sit) and it was Wedman who misplayed the puck there.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2014 04:34PM by MattS.

Posted by: sah67 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 01, 2014 04:47PM

MattS
Trotsky
andyw2100

Are you sure this was MacDonald? I think it was Wedman. If I'm thinking about the same portion of that play, it happened right in front of the visitors penalty box (& in front of where I sit) and it was Wedman who misplayed the puck there.

Yup: I was about to say the same thing. I saw the turnover clearly from L, and it was definitely Wedman, not MacDonald.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.sub-174-236-102.myvzw.com)
Date: November 01, 2014 05:14PM

Would anyone be willing to list the forward lines and d-pairs?

Posted by: jek86 (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: November 01, 2014 05:48PM

sah67
MattS
Trotsky
andyw2100

Yup: I was about to say the same thing. I saw the turnover clearly from L, and it was definitely Wedman, not MacDonald.

Posted by: jek86 (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: November 01, 2014 05:51PM

I believe I saw a similar turnover by Wedman during one of the exhibition games

Posted by: MattS (---.sub-70-209-133.myvzw.com)
Date: November 01, 2014 06:10PM

RatushnyFan
Would anyone be willing to list the forward lines and d-pairs?

From last night:

Forward combos: Lowry-Bardreau-J.McCarron; Weidner-Kubiak-Buckles; Hilbrich-Knisley-Stoick; Dias-Fiegl-Tiitinen.

On D, Ryan-Willcox; Wedman-P.McCarron; Bliss-MacDonald.

Mitch Gillam in goal.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 01, 2014 11:28PM

Thanks!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login