Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

ECAC 2014-15

Posted by Trotsky 
Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
ECAC 2014-15
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 06, 2014 09:08PM

How much trouble can you get into in Hamden?

Re: ECAC 2014-15
Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: October 06, 2014 11:32PM

Trotsky

Don't you mean Schenectady? Or did these players take a wrong turn on their way to take a swim in Yale's pool?

Date: October 07, 2014 12:53AM

Rita
Trotsky

Don't you mean Schenectady? Or did these players take a wrong turn on their way to take a swim in Yale's pool?

Uh oh. I did mean Hamden, because for whatever reason (senility) I read "Union" and thought "Quinnipiac." And so it begins.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2014 12:53AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: October 07, 2014 09:53AM

You CAN get in trouble in Schenectady, but you won't have any problems with the police. They all have troubles of their own in the Schenectady PD.

Date: October 12, 2014 10:32AM

SLU scored 9 goals in the last 2 periods at Niagara last night.

On 22 shots.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: October 12, 2014 04:52PM

Trotsky
SLU scored 9 goals in the last 2 periods at Niagara last night.

On 22 shots.

Woody Hudson (you remember him) gets a goal and an assist.

Posted by: dbilmes (32.218.122.---)
Date: October 22, 2014 08:14PM

Interesting result last night from Bridgeport, where Quinnipiac outshot UConn 37-19, but lost, 4-1. UConn also blocked 25 shots. "Certainly when shots attempted are 85-30, you expect to win," Quinnipiac coach Rand Pecknold said.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: October 23, 2014 02:06AM

dbilmes
Interesting result last night from Bridgeport, where Quinnipiac outshot UConn 37-19, but lost, 4-1. UConn also blocked 25 shots. "Certainly when shots attempted are 85-30, you expect to win," Quinnipiac coach Rand Pecknold said.

More to it than that, the Q defense has been terrible for their four games, and their goaltending has a SV% of 0.810. Good analysis (from before the UConn game) here: [blog.collegehockeynews.com]

And the move to Hockey East has the UConn booster community suddenly aware that they have a hockey team. You'd think they just went D1. One person I know was breathlessly live-tweeting their 1st league game, in which they blew a late lead vs. Merrimack (a team they beat two seasons ago), and then during last night's game was predicting a Frozen Four appearance "within 7 years." screwy I see them being more like UMass in a few years, but many think they'll get BC-level success.

The Hartford Courant now has more reporters covering UConn Hockey (2) than they do the AHL affiliate in town (zero). And I feel a little sorry for the students in Storrs that they are playing a total of zero games on-campus this season. Remember when Lynah was being renovated and the home games were played in Elmira for a month or two? That's UConn for the whole season. (and football, and half of their men's & women's basketball games). No word of any plans for an on-campus facility to replace their bad one, yet. I would think that if they are considering a replacement for Gampel (on-campus basketball arena) they would do what Ohio St. did and make it multipurpose.

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: October 23, 2014 09:57AM

RichH
dbilmes

More to it than that, the Q defense has been terrible for their four games, and their goaltending has a SV% of 0.810. Good analysis (from before the UConn game) here: [blog.collegehockeynews.com]

And the move to Hockey East has the UConn booster community suddenly aware that they have a hockey team. You'd think they just went D1. One person I know was breathlessly live-tweeting their 1st league game, in which they blew a late lead vs. Merrimack (a team they beat two seasons ago), and then during last night's game was predicting a Frozen Four appearance "within 7 years." screwy I see them being more like UMass in a few years, but many think they'll get BC-level success.

The Hartford Courant now has more reporters covering UConn Hockey (2) than they do the AHL affiliate in town (zero). And I feel a little sorry for the students in Storrs that they are playing a total of zero games on-campus this season. Remember when Lynah was being renovated and the home games were played in Elmira for a month or two? That's UConn for the whole season. (and football, and half of their men's & women's basketball games). No word of any plans for an on-campus facility to replace their bad one, yet. I would think that if they are considering a replacement for Gampel (on-campus basketball arena) they would do what Ohio St. did and make it multipurpose.

I'm not sure I ever saw more than ten UConn students at any of the (hockey) games I attended in Storrs with the exception of the one time their band showed up so it's not as if there's a huge student following being displaced. Selfishly, I was pleasantly surprised to see the slate of games in Bridgeport this season. I'm guessing tickets have gone up from the $3-5 range they charged in Storrs.

Date: October 23, 2014 10:12AM

RichH
Remember when Lynah was being renovated and the home games were played in Elmira for a month or two?

No. When was that?

Date: October 23, 2014 10:15AM

Chris '03
I'm guessing tickets have gone up from the $3-5 range they charged in Storrs.

You could say that. The ticket prices for the BC game are $90-107.

Posted by: RichH (134.223.230.---)
Date: October 23, 2014 11:33AM

Trotsky
RichH
Remember when Lynah was being renovated and the home games were played in Elmira for a month or two?

No. When was that?

For some reason, my PMP-addled memory thought they actually played the exhibitions there. Turns out the construction came in ahead of schedule, but there was a contingency plan in place, as documented by us:

[elf.elynah.com]

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 23, 2014 03:35PM

Trotsky
Chris '03

How about $17 for adult and $12 for youth.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: October 23, 2014 06:01PM

Jim Hyla
Trotsky
Chris '03

That does seem more reasonable.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 23, 2014 09:41PM

Trotsky
Jim Hyla
Trotsky
Chris '03

That does seem more reasonable.
lol, the website defaults to QUANTITY: 8.

Date: October 24, 2014 09:47PM

Not the best way to start your home season.

Posted by: dag14 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 24, 2014 09:50PM

ouch

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: October 25, 2014 09:33PM

Double Ouch. RIP lived up to it's derogatory nickname. Scott Diebold the #2 goalie went all the way and assisted on one of the Bentley goals. Bentley went to school last night, learned RPI's weaknesses and exploited them with confidence.

Bentley 4, Rensselaer 0
Non-Conference Game
Saturday, October 25, 2014 at Houston Fieldhouse (Attendance: 3,532)

Scoring Shots on Goal Penalties Power Plays
Bentley 2 2 0 = 4 5 6 5 = 16 4-8 2-4
Rensselaer 0 0 0 = 0 8 3 8 = 19 4-8 0-4
Scoring Summary

First Period
Bentley-1 Ryan McMurphy (Derek Bacon, Brett Switzer) GWG PPG 15:55
Bentley-2 Andrew McDonald (Derek Bacon) SHG 17:49

Second Period
Bentley-3 Alex Kubiak (Tyler Deresky) 14:17
Bentley-4 Matt Maher (Derek Bacon, Ryan McMurphy) PPG 18:58
Goaltender Saves
Bentley-1 Blake Dougherty (60:00 W) 8 3 8 = 19 (0 GA)
Rensselaer-1 Scott Diebold (60:00 L) 3 4 5 = 12 (4 GA)
Referee(s): Brad Leblanc,Bryan Hicks
Asst. Referee(s): Stephen Drain,Jeremy Lemoine

Read more: [www.uscho.com]

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-209-131.myvzw.com)
Date: October 26, 2014 10:11AM

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.129.41.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: October 26, 2014 12:09PM

My take-away: Union has scored on two straight penalty shots. When's the last time we scored on one?

Date: October 26, 2014 12:38PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
My take-away: Union has scored on two straight penalty shots. When's the last time we scored on one?

The last time we had an NHL Hall of Famer take one.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2014 12:39PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: October 26, 2014 01:00PM

Trotsky
Jeff Hopkins '82

There's something really weird going on in our history of missed penalty shots taken and conceded penalty shots from the opponents. Since 1965, we've taken 21 penalty shots and have scored on 4 of them...with the last 10 attempts being all misses. During the same post-1987 time period, opponents have been awarded 9 penalty shots, converting 6/9 for goals. 6/9 vs 0/10! What gives? Are players haunted by the memory of Joe Nieuwendyk? I tried looking for some NCAA-wide statistics on penalty shots but it's not a standard thing to keep track of, apparently.

Date: October 26, 2014 04:21PM

Cornell scoring on a penalty shot is the new Mets no-hitter.

Posted by: KeithK (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 26, 2014 06:38PM

imafrshmn
Trotsky
Jeff Hopkins '82

There's something really weird going on in our history of missed penalty shots taken and conceded penalty shots from the opponents. Since 1965, we've taken 21 penalty shots and have scored on 4 of them...with the last 10 attempts being all misses. During the same post-1987 time period, opponents have been awarded 9 penalty shots, converting 6/9 for goals. 6/9 vs 0/10! What gives? Are players haunted by the memory of Joe Nieuwendyk? I tried looking for some NCAA-wide statistics on penalty shots but it's not a standard thing to keep track of, apparently.

clearly it's the system.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: November 07, 2014 10:09PM

So, who had Union starting 0-3 in the office pool?

Posted by: TimV (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 08, 2014 09:14AM

Scersk '97

Bob Gaudet?laugh

Date: November 08, 2014 10:33AM

TimV
Scersk '97

Bob Gaudet?laugh

If Union doesn't come out and absolutely stomp Harvard tonight, I'll have to believe that Teddy has something going this year, which would disturb my worldview.

Posted by: TimV (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 08, 2014 11:49AM

Scersk '97

I'll have to believe that Teddy has something going this year.

He does - good recruiting (11 NHL draft picks,) better conditioning, and a new "Assistant Head Coach," twitch

Posted by: Robb (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 08, 2014 12:10PM

Scersk '97
No worries; they just need to run the table to better their record from last year (18-3-1).

Date: November 18, 2014 11:39PM

Two tweets of interest out of the RPI-UConn game tonight:

Well, I know several people other than myself who won a Rensselaer Medal and turned down the half-tuition award to enroll in a better engineering program... Anyway, I didn't hear the UConn students chant this, but there was maybe a busload of 50 students crammed into a tiny section in the cavernous XL center. The same building that poser Buccigross called a "classic barn" last week.

Interesting note: RPI has a facility 2 blocks away from the XL Center for some reason. Closer than even UConn's Law School here in town.

Hey, them's fighting words!

RPI managed 1 shot in the 3rd, so it definitely felt familiar. 1-1 final.

Date: November 19, 2014 10:36AM

Robb
Scersk '97
No worries; they just need to run the table to better their record from last year (18-3-1).

Careful. As of now we have to go 11-4-3 to better our ECAC record, and 17-6-4 to better our overall record.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2014 10:37AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 20, 2014 07:27AM

RichH

Well, I know several people other than myself who won a Rensselaer Medal and turned down the half-tuition award to enroll in a better engineering program... Anyway, I didn't hear the UConn students chant this, but there was maybe a busload of 50 students crammed into a tiny section in the cavernous XL center. The same building that poser Buccigross called a "classic barn" last week.

Interesting note: RPI has a facility 2 blocks away from the XL Center for some reason. Closer than even UConn's Law School here in town.

It certainly was a long time ago, but I don't recall anyone at RPI when I was there who also applied to Cornell. MIT is another story. Then again, where one applied was not a frequent topic of discussion. (I applied to neither.)

I have been told that RPI's Hartford Graduate Center consists mainly of people who work in the area and have companies who pay their tuition. The students are unlikely to feel a connection to RPI in Troy.

As to boring power plays, WaP forgot the RPI women who are currently 2 for 70.

RPI had 4 shots in the third period. Surprisingly the 'Tute had 7 in OT. I add that considering the injury situation with Curadi, Bradley, Nanne, Bubela, and Schroeder out, and Miller injured during the game, a 1-1 tie on the road was an acceptable result.

Date: November 20, 2014 11:20AM

ursusminor
RichH

It certainly was a long time ago, but I don't recall anyone at RPI when I was there who also applied to Cornell. MIT is another story. Then again, where one applied was not a frequent topic of discussion. (I applied to neither.)

I have been told that RPI's Hartford Graduate Center consists mainly of people who work in the area and have companies who pay their tuition. The students are unlikely to feel a connection to RPI in Troy.

RPI had 4 shots in the third period. Surprisingly the 'Tute had 7 in OT. I add that considering the injury situation with Curadi, Bradley, Nanne, Bubela, and Schroeder out, and Miller injured during the game, a 1-1 tie on the road was an acceptable result.

But as with other generations, "a long (and probably longer, but I don't know how old you are:-}) time ago" there were also Cornellians, like me, who were accepted to RPI and chose Cornell.

Posted by: marty (---.albyny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 20, 2014 11:41AM

Jim Hyla
ursusminor
RichH

But as with other generations, "a long (and probably longer, but I don't know how old you are:-}) time ago" there were also Cornellians, like me, who were accepted to RPI and chose Cornell.

And those like me who never applied to RPI because of location and who earned engineering degrees at Cornell.

Posted by: RichH (134.223.230.---)
Date: November 20, 2014 12:08PM

ursusminor

Spot on, as my officemate in his late-50s is currently working on his MechE Masters from Rensselaer Hartford, paid for by the company. He has mentioned that most of his fellow students are in their 20s.

I'm curious about the history. Why Hartford? It's smart for RPI as I'm assuming its a financial net-positive for them, but other than the Universities that have programs in Qatar (including Cornell Med), I can't think of another school that has a satellite campus outside their home state.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: November 20, 2014 12:52PM

RichH
I'm curious about the history. Why Hartford? It's smart for RPI as I'm assuming its a financial net-positive for them, but other than the Universities that have programs in Qatar (including Cornell Med), I can't think of another school that has a satellite campus outside their home state.
Carnegie Melon has a campus in Silicon Valley.

I am starting to think that the future of (private) higher education will be name brand schools that have a bunch of satellite campuses around the country or the world. Since one of the primary functions of a post-secondary degree is getting a credential why not go with name brand U, even at some brand new location with no history, as opposed to good school that no one has ever heard of?

Date: November 20, 2014 01:39PM

KeithK
I am starting to think that the future of (private) higher education will be name brand schools that have a bunch of satellite campuses around the country or the world. Since one of the primary functions of a post-secondary degree is getting a credential why not go with name brand U, even at some brand new location with no history, as opposed to good school that no one has ever heard of?

Thus the Harvard Kennedy School of Government. Prestige universities are discovering they can print infinite amounts of money as degree mills for post-secondary credentialing. 80% of the staffers on Capitol Hill have Masters in Public Administration/International Development/Public Policy the requirements for which are write a check and optionally include an essay on the intern you did on your summer vacation.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2014 01:40PM by Trotsky.

Date: November 20, 2014 02:21PM

RichH
ursusminor

Spot on, as my officemate in his late-50s is currently working on his MechE Masters from Rensselaer Hartford, paid for by the company. He has mentioned that most of his fellow students are in their 20s.

I had heard of RPI @ Hartford when I was at RPI (BS '68, MS '70, PhD '74 to answer another question) but I really knew little about it. According to Wikipedia it was founded in 1955 as a joint venture with United Aircraft (now United Technologies). There is another facility in Groton, CT, and a third in Malta, NY. I never heard of the last one.

Date: November 20, 2014 02:46PM

ursusminor
RichH
ursusminor

I had heard of RPI @ Hartford when I was at RPI (BS '68, MS '70, PhD '74 to answer another question) but I really knew little about it. According to Wikipedia it was founded in 1955 as a joint venture with United Aircraft (now United Technologies). There is another facility in Groton, CT, and a third in Malta, NY. I never heard of the last one.

Groton is obvs Electric Boat. Malta's just north of Schenectady -- GE?
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2014 02:47PM by Trotsky.

Date: November 20, 2014 03:14PM

FWIW, Murray Spiegel, who wrote many Schaum's Outlines in mathematics was a professor at RPI-Hartford. He received his PhD at Cornell.

Posted by: Dutchman (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 21, 2014 11:01AM

I am also an RPI Alumnus (MS, PhD Computer Science) as well as a BSEE from Union. In the early mid 1970' the classes at RPI in Hartford were filled with engineers from Pratt & Whitney, Sikorsky, Turbo Power and Marine, United Aircraft as well as programmers from all the insurance companies that resided in Hartford, like Aetna and The Hartford. Great resource for evening engineering students, excellent location, same instructors and professors as in Troy. What about Cornell NYC Tech ? [en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: nshapiro (192.148.195.---)
Date: November 21, 2014 12:41PM

Trotsky

Thus the Harvard Kennedy School of Government. Prestige universities are discovering they can print infinite amounts of money as degree mills for post-secondary credentialing. 80% of the staffers on Capitol Hill have Masters in Public Administration/International Development/Public Policy the requirements for which are write a check and optionally include an essay on the intern you did on your summer vacation.
Cornell is already on this bandwagon - many of the Lockheed Martin ELDPs (Engineering Leadership Development Program - snot nosed kids who will soon be the bosses) are getting their Masters in Systems Engineering from Cornell and spend less than 2 weeks total on campus.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2014 12:42PM by nshapiro.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 23, 2014 06:06PM

Jim Hyla
ursusminor
RichH

Make that 2.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 23, 2014 07:07PM

Dutchman
I am also an RPI Alumnus (MS, PhD Computer Science) as well as a BSEE from Union. In the early mid 1970' the classes at RPI in Hartford were filled with engineers from Pratt & Whitney, Sikorsky, Turbo Power and Marine, United Aircraft as well as programmers from all the insurance companies that resided in Hartford, like Aetna and The Hartford. Great resource for evening engineering students, excellent location, same instructors and professors as in Troy. What about Cornell NYC Tech ? [en.wikipedia.org]

As much as I think Cornell NYC Tech is an abomination that betrays both Cornell's specific philosophy ("Imagine a university where students go to gain knowledge for its own sake ... a university that's free of religious influences ... free of political influences ... free of commercial influences ... a university that's broad and balanced, including all areas of higher education and balanced between them" -- Andrew Dickson White) and the idea behind the Morrill Land Grant Act ("Education will usher in the millennium of labor" -- Jonathan Baldwin Turner, who originally proposed using the land-grant mechanism to endow a national system of higher education for "the industrial classes" ), Cornell does have some legitimacy being in NYC. Cornell is the state's only land-grant university, historically many of its students come from NYC (almost certainly more than any other one city), in the 21st century there are just some things that can be better done in a substantial city, let alone NYC, rather than a "bustling town" located "in the middle of nowhere," and Columbia does not have either hockey or lacrosse teams.

RPI in Hartford as a continuing education operation makes considerable sense. What other nearby school has strong engineering that might serve the continuing education needs of Hartford and the Connecticut River Valley? Yale had the Sheffield School of Science (headed by A.D. White's good friend and classmate, Daniel Coit Gilman when Yale was still Connecticut's land-grant institution), but Yale closed it in 1945 and created an engineering department. Only in 2008 did Yale turn the department into a school. (Harvard and Brown also recently decided to create engineering schools.) But what else was there in CT? So RPI makes good sense.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2014 02:42PM by Swampy.

Date: November 23, 2014 11:06PM

The only thing more embarrassing than everyone here sneering that they didn't even apply to Harvard is when you all greet ursusminor - an RPI fan who comes here to talk hockey and is nothing but courteous - with a fucking safety school chant.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: November 24, 2014 07:58AM

ugarte
The only thing more embarrassing than everyone here sneering that they didn't even apply to Harvard is when you all greet ursusminor - an RPI fan who comes here to talk hockey and is nothing but courteous - with a fucking safety school chant.

You're right, I'm sorry.

Posted by: marty (---.albyny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 24, 2014 11:20AM

Jim Hyla
ugarte

You're right, I'm sorry.

Yes, I'm sorry too. I enjoy Ralph here.

Date: November 25, 2014 12:49PM

ugarte

Thanks.

Well there is my avatar. For those who don't recognize it, which is probably most of you, it is Doug Hearns scoring in overtime against Ken Dryden on 12/4/68 in the game which is often described as the one which saved RPI hockey after a few poor seasons and one disastrous one (65-66). The RPI admins had been considering leaving D-I.

The other Cornell player, who appears to be trying to trip Hearns, is #21 (Bruce Pattison I think).

Posted by: Swampy (131.128.163.---)
Date: November 25, 2014 05:54PM

ursusminor
ugarte

Thanks.

Well there is my avatar. For those who don't recognize it, which is probably most of you, it is Doug Hearns scoring in overtime against Ken Dryden on 12/4/68 in the game which is often described as the one which saved RPI hockey after a few poor seasons and one disastrous one (65-66). The RPI admins had been considering leaving D-I.

The other Cornell player, who appears to be trying to trip Hearns, is #21 (Bruce Pattison I think).

Pattison was indeed #21.

Date: November 26, 2014 07:18AM

So after watching last night's game, I have to say, Harvard looks like the real thing. Their offense is very good, their defense is so-so, but if Michalek plays the rest the season like he has started, they will be very difficult to beat.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 26, 2014 08:30AM

Jim Hyla
So after watching last night's game, I have to say, Harvard looks like the real thing. Their offense is very good, their defense is so-so, but if Michalek plays the rest the season like he has started, they will be very difficult to beat.

They've been bringing in excellent talent the past few years, and with some new assistant coaches to help Donato out, they may have something going.

Posted by: BearLover (---.wrls.harvard.edu)
Date: November 26, 2014 10:30AM

Jim Hyla
Didn't watch the game, but they were outshot 42-24. Great teams don't get outshot almost 2-to-1. Yale and Union winning the past two years have made things tough enough on Cornell already (eg. they'd have made the tournament last year easily had the ECAC not been so good)...we don't need Harvard following in their footsteps.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.c3-0.smr-ubr2.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com)
Date: November 26, 2014 11:39AM

BearLover
Jim Hyla
Didn't watch the game, but they were outshot 42-24. Great teams don't get outshot almost 2-to-1. Yale and Union winning the past two years have made things tough enough on Cornell already (eg. they'd have made the tournament last year easily had the ECAC not been so good)...we don't need Harvard following in their footsteps.
Blah blah blah play better blah blah

Date: November 26, 2014 02:18PM

BearLover
Jim Hyla

Yes, we better put a stop to this footstep nonsense and do it ASAP.scared
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2014 02:18PM by marty.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 26, 2014 02:28PM

BearLover
Jim Hyla

Hmmm. We did not make the tournament because there were a lot of better teams. I never thought about it that way.

Posted by: BearLover (---.border10.wdc002.pnap.net)
Date: November 26, 2014 02:38PM

Towerroad
BearLover
Jim Hyla

Hmmm. We did not make the tournament because there were a lot of better teams. I never thought about it that way.
We did not make the tournament because there were a number of better teams in our own conference. Yale was about the 14th-best team in the country in 2013. Just gotta get in.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2014 02:42PM by BearLover.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 26, 2014 03:03PM

BearLover
Towerroad
BearLover
Jim Hyla

We did not make the tournament because there were a number of better teams in our own conference. Yale was about the 14th-best team in the country in 2013. Just gotta get in.

And had Quinnipiac not been in our conference, Yale wouldn't have gotten in even though there would have been fewer good teams in the conference (the scenario you apparently desire).

Posted by: BearLover (---.border10.wdc002.pnap.net)
Date: November 26, 2014 05:48PM

Chris '03
BearLover
Towerroad
BearLover
Jim Hyla

And had Quinnipiac not been in our conference, Yale wouldn't have gotten in even though there would have been fewer good teams in the conference (the scenario you apparently desire).
I haven't run the numbers, but I don't think that's true. Q beat Yale twice that season. Those losses probably would have turned into wins, which would have turned into an at-large bid even if Q wasn't in-conference. Also, Yale would have had a higher seed in the ECAC tournament and a far easier route to the championship.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2014 06:09PM by BearLover.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 26, 2014 06:40PM

BearLover
Chris '03
BearLover
Towerroad
BearLover
Jim Hyla

I haven't run the numbers, but I don't think that's true. Q beat Yale twice that season. Those losses probably would have turned into wins, which would have turned into an at-large bid even if Q wasn't in-conference. Also, Yale would have had a higher seed in the ECAC tournament and a far easier route to the championship.

Q finished the season on top with a .756 winning percentage. That gets weighted into EVERY ECAC team's RPI at least twice. Remember it was Yale's LOSS to Q in AC that put them in the tourney thanks to the SOS. Take out that considerable RPI bump that every ECAC team got (even from losing to Q) and there's no way Yale's RPI ends up as high if you swap two loses to Q for two wins against the little sisters of the poor or whatever doormat you'd propose join the league. As it was, Yale and SCSU finished the season with RPI tied out to the ten thousandth of a point. Simply not playing the consy would have cost Yale that comparison. The margins are very thin and that's why having good teams in your conference helps Yale (the 3rd best ECAC team) get that shot in the tournament. The top 4 AHA teams don't get that shot.

Yale may have had a better ECAC seed but they also probably would have needed to win twice in AC instead of laying an egg to make the tournament.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 26, 2014 11:53PM

Chris '03
BearLover
Chris '03
BearLover
Towerroad
BearLover
Jim Hyla

Q finished the season on top with a .756 winning percentage. That gets weighted into EVERY ECAC team's RPI at least twice. Remember it was Yale's LOSS to Q in AC that put them in the tourney thanks to the SOS. Take out that considerable RPI bump that every ECAC team got (even from losing to Q) and there's no way Yale's RPI ends up as high if you swap two loses to Q for two wins against the little sisters of the poor or whatever doormat you'd propose join the league. As it was, Yale and SCSU finished the season with RPI tied out to the ten thousandth of a point. Simply not playing the consy would have cost Yale that comparison. The margins are very thin and that's why having good teams in your conference helps Yale (the 3rd best ECAC team) get that shot in the tournament. The top 4 AHA teams don't get that shot.

Yale may have had a better ECAC seed but they also probably would have needed to win twice in AC instead of laying an egg to make the tournament.
Oh, they actually lost to Q three times that year! Three losses turned into wins would have gotten them in, I'm pretty sure...RPI also counts a team's own win %, of course. Once again I can't say for certain, but last year Cornell went 17-10-5 in a strong conference and didn't get in. Being 7 games over .500 and still not getting in, when they've gotten in many times when the ECAC sucked, suggests having great teams in your conference isn't as helpful as you make it seem...or at least not as helpful as having more wins. Regardless, winning the ECAC tournament is a very real thing. Even if the difference between Q being in-conference and Q not being in-conference were equal to three wins instead of three losses, that doesn't take into account the benefit of not having to run into them in the ECAC tournament. (And that's not to mention possible recruiting issues when more players want to go to Yale, etc.).
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2014 12:02AM by BearLover.

Date: November 27, 2014 01:24PM

I'll also take a Thanksgiving stab at another commonly seen trope: that teams like Yale have evolved and moved past the stodgy, old, defense-first style of play. Cornell's current style is a relic, doomed to failure and vulnerable to change. Keith Allain has figured this out and the game has passed Schafer by.

From [www.collegehockeynews.com]

Yale is a different team now than it was just two seasons ago. It is a team that is built from net out. It is a far cry from the run and gun teams it once had. Most of the high-end offensive talent is gone, both Kenny Agostino and Jesse Root graduated last season. This year's Yale is built upon balanced scoring, strong defensive positioning and of course goaltending.

"Goaltending in hockey, I think is the most important individual position in all of team sports," said Allain, who was a goalie himself for Yale. "When a goalie gives the team confidence, it allows the team to settle down and its (sic) allows the team to make a mistake or two."

Date: November 27, 2014 01:43PM

RichH
I'll also take a Thanksgiving stab at another commonly seen trope: that teams like Yale have evolved and moved past the stodgy, old, defense-first style of play. Cornell's current style is a relic, doomed to failure and vulnerable to change. Keith Allain has figured this out and the game has passed Schafer by.

From [www.collegehockeynews.com]

Yale is a different team now than it was just two seasons ago. It is a team that is built from net out. It is a far cry from the run and gun teams it once had. Most of the high-end offensive talent is gone, both Kenny Agostino and Jesse Root graduated last season. This year's Yale is built upon balanced scoring, strong defensive positioning and of course goaltending.

"Goaltending in hockey, I think is the most important individual position in all of team sports," said Allain, who was a goalie himself for Yale. "When a goalie gives the team confidence, it allows the team to settle down and its (sic) allows the team to make a mistake or two."

Indeed, if you saw this years game, you would have noticed that they no longer had that aggressive 2 man forecheck, that so often bothered our breakout. Their style was similar to ours. They started offensive first, we started defensive first, and we both ended up in between.

Date: November 28, 2014 04:10AM

I believe the ECAC has about 72 Out of Conference (non-exhibition) games coming up starting today and extending into January. The non-ivy's have gotten the league off to a good start for the most part and the Ivy's are continuing and building on that (Thank you Harvard !!!). IMO the ECAC has never been more competitive in the past 5 years as it is this year. However, that is just an opinion and the pairwise does not show this yet. To land as many teams as possible in the national tournament its very important that the league do well, starting tonight. Cornell has 5 out of conference games coming up. It is 3rd in the nation in defense. How about sweeping these five games, and especially taking both DU games. Well within Cornell's reach. Harvard has been running roughshod over all its OC Competition. How about Cornell doing the same, starting with Penn State, starting saturday.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2014 06:37AM by Dutchman.

Date: November 28, 2014 09:05AM

Dutchman
To land as many teams as possible in the national tournament its very importnat that the league do well, starting tonight. Cornell has 5 out of conference games coming up. It is 3rd in the nation in defense. How about sweeping these five games, and especially taking both DU games. Well within Cornell's reach. Harvard has been running roughshod over all its OC Competition. How about Cornell doing the same, starting with Penn State, starting saturday.
Good idea. I'm on it.

Date: November 28, 2014 09:11AM

Sullivan's ECAC column in USCHO led with Cornell (2 days old but I haven't seen it posted here).

Date: November 28, 2014 09:13AM

Hayden Stewart named ECAC ROTW.

Date: November 29, 2014 08:47AM

First night of holiday NC play not kind to the ECAC excepting a suprise by Princeton:

UMass 3 Quinnipiac 2
Princeton 3 Michigan State 1
Michigan 3 RPI 2
Merrimack 3 Clarkson 0
Union 3 Notre Dame 2 (ot)

Date: November 29, 2014 11:42AM

Trotsky
First night of holiday NC play not kind to the ECAC excepting a suprise by Princeton:

UMass 3 Quinnipiac 2
Michigan 3 RPI 2
Merrimack 3 Clarkson 0

Too bad RPI choked late in the third.

Date: November 29, 2014 11:52AM

Trotsky

UMass 3 Quinnipiac 2
Michigan 3 RPI 2
Merrimack 3 Clarkson 0

Now Michigan State knows how we feel. Shots 45-26.

Date: November 29, 2014 11:57AM

Trotsky

UMass 3 Quinnipiac 2
Michigan 3 RPI 2
Merrimack 3 Clarkson 0

RPI snatched defeat from the jaws of victory while Union did just the opposite.

RPI seemed to be headed to a win but with 3:02 left Michigan scored and then hit the GWG 29 seconds later. Union on the other hand seemed to pick up the Shillelagh and hit Notre Dame over the head. ND was leading 2-0 after two. Union tied it with 1:45 left and then won it with only 22 seconds left in OT. Ken Schott said this was their first OT win in almost three years.

The Notre Dame game video was broadcast free on the web. It looks like today's Union video won't be on the web but the losers will showcase themselves vs. TOSU here tonight.

I remain unimpressed by home teams playing consolation games in prime time with the championship played in the afternoon. Let's hope TOSU beats the crap out of the Irish so that they wonder with which end of the Shillelagh they were hit.

Date: November 29, 2014 01:34PM

marty
Trotsky

UMass 3 Quinnipiac 2
Michigan 3 RPI 2
Merrimack 3 Clarkson 0

RPI seemed to be headed to a win but with 3:02 left Michigan scored and then hit the GWG 29 seconds later. Union on the other hand seemed to pick up the Shillelagh and hit Notre Dame over the head. ND was leading 2-0 after two. Union tied it with 1:45 left and then won it with only 22 seconds left in OT. Ken Schott said this was their first OT win in almost three years.

The Notre Dame game video was broadcast free on the web. It looks like today's Union video won't be on the web but the losers will showcase themselves vs. TOSU here tonight.

I remain unimpressed by home teams playing consolation games in prime time with the championship played in the afternoon. Let's hope TOSU beats the crap out of the Irish so that they wonder with which end of the Shillelagh they were hit.

Having watched both of these games, I have to say that Union was definately the better team, and Michigan only slightly better. If you want to see a wonderful example of being for the team and not just yourself, watch the winning OT goal by Union. Beautiful passing, with 1 and maybe 2 players giving up good chances for a SOG, only to have them both pass to another player, eventually leaving the goalie completely out of position. Having said that, the quality of ND was demonstrated by allowing Union to get that winning goal on a 4 on 2 with 22 seconds left in OT. ND did not look good.

I'm still hopeful the Union game will be shown. It's listed on the ECAC site, but not on NBC. Which one do you think is more accurate?:-D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2014 01:39PM by Jim Hyla.

Date: November 29, 2014 04:27PM

Jim Hyla
marty
Trotsky

UMass 3 Quinnipiac 2
Michigan 3 RPI 2
Merrimack 3 Clarkson 0

Having watched both of these games, I have to say that Union was definately the better team, and Michigan only slightly better. If you want to see a wonderful example of being for the team and not just yourself, watch the winning OT goal by Union. Beautiful passing, with 1 and maybe 2 players giving up good chances for a SOG, only to have them both pass to another player, eventually leaving the goalie completely out of position. Having said that, the quality of ND was demonstrated by allowing Union to get that winning goal on a 4 on 2 with 22 seconds left in OT. ND did not look good.

I'm still hopeful the Union game will be shown. It's listed on the ECAC site, but not on NBC. Which one do you think is more accurate?:-D

Well they're both correct, sort of. NBC is not carrying the game but video is free on Watch ND. No audio, well you get the rink sounds.

Date: November 29, 2014 04:37PM

Wow, Union's down 4-0 in first period.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 29, 2014 05:39PM

I'm curious to see whether Colgate can hold off BU.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2014 05:42PM by Iceberg.

Posted by: Bahnstorm (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 29, 2014 05:52PM

Iceberg
I'm curious to see whether Colgate can hold off BU.
As of 18 seconds into the third, survey says... no.

There is video of this game available linked off here YMMV.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2014 06:02PM by Bahnstorm.

Date: November 29, 2014 10:31PM

marty

And TOSU beats the Irish with their sticks, 5-1

Date: November 29, 2014 10:45PM

Better night for the ECAC, spearheaded by the Ivies:

Cornell 3 Penn State 1
Michigan 6 RPI 0
Merrimack 2 Clarkson 1
Dartmouth 3 AIC 2
Harvard 4 Lowell 2
Quinnipiac 3 UMass 1
BU 5 Colgate 2
Brown 1 UConn 0
Yale 2 RIT 0
Michigan State 4 Princeton 2
Western Michigan 8 Union 2

Date: November 30, 2014 06:42AM

Trotsky
Better night for the ECAC, spearheaded by the Ivies:

Cornell 3 Penn State 1
Michigan 6 RPI 0
Merrimack 2 Clarkson 1
Dartmouth 3 AIC 2
Harvard 4 Lowell 2
Quinnipiac 3 UMass 1
BU 5 Colgate 2
Brown 1 UConn 0
Yale 2 RIT 0
Michigan State 4 Princeton 2
Western Michigan 8 Union 2

Friday
ECAC 1-2 vs HE
ECAC 1-1 vs BIG10
Saturday
ECAC 3-2 vs HE
ECAC 2-0 vs AHA
ECAC 0-1 vs NCHC
ECAC 1-2 vs BIG10

Ivy League component of ECAC did well .... 5-1. Non-Ivy was terrible .... 2-7 Some very impressive Ivy wins and the loss by Princeton was very close with Princeton battling furiously for a tie before an ENG. Nice win by Cornell too !!!!

Date: November 30, 2014 05:17PM

It looks like BU will have to show up in the 3rd again today. Currently losing 2-0 in Hanover with the 2nd period about to end.

Date: December 04, 2014 09:32AM

Looking over the ECAC at this point, I still believe that I am correct in my assumption that the league is stronger than it was last year. This is due in part to a stronger group of IVY's, as a whole. The competition within the league should get pretty savage in the coming weeks. The question is, will this lead to more ECAC teams making the NCAA's than in previous years. I believe the answer is no. I believe that we will end up with the usual 2-3 teams. The problem is our out of conference performance. Don't get me wrong, so far our out of conference performence is good, just not good enought to land perhaps a 4th team. We are (just barely) the second best league to the NCHC. However, the sample size is for the most part too small to draw any conclusion. We are 35-27-4 OOC (Not counting OOC against league opponents) and 17-9-2 against HE.

If I counted correctly, here are the ECAC teams that are helping our OOC record. I am including here OOC results where the team was also a league opponent.

Who is helping > or = .500 in OOC
For these 9 teams 31-14-3
HARVARD 4-0-0
DARTMOUTH 2-0-0
UNION 6-2-0
BROWN 2-1-0
COLGATE 6-3-0
YALE 2-1-0
St. LAWRENCE 4-3-1
QUINNIPIAC 4-3-1
CORNELL 1-1-1

Who is not helping < .500 in OOC
For these three teams 5-13-4
PRINCETON 1-2-1
CLARKSON 2-4-2
RPI 2-7-1

The next 6 weeks will close out much of the OOC competition. If you or your team has an opportunity to knock off an OOC opponent (especially a NCHC opponent, like Denver) it would be greatly appreciated if you did so.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2014 09:41AM by Dutchman.

Date: December 06, 2014 01:04PM

Many high-scoring games yesterday (the notable exception being in Hamden). And I'm also left wondering if Brown will win a league game this season.

Posted by: BMac (---.mycingular.net)
Date: December 06, 2014 07:06PM

Harvard up 1-0 against q... After 16 seconds.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-209-134.myvzw.com)
Date: December 06, 2014 07:41PM

BMac
Harvard up 1-0 against q... After 16 seconds.

Brown up 4-2 over RPI after 60 minutes. ;-)

Date: December 11, 2014 04:16PM

Originally Posted USCHO

It's about the halfway point in College Hockey. Good time to assess. If the season ended today, looking at the pairwise, the ECAC would only send two teams to the NCAA's, Harvard (#4) and Yale (#14) and perhaps a third team if another team won the tournament. OOC wins are critical if you want to make it to the NCAA's. We are (#26).

So where does the ECAC stand?

The ECAC, if I counted correctly, has 41 OOC games to go ..... Our current record is:

37-30-8 OOC when counting OOC against league opponents
36-29-4 OOC when not counting OOC against league opponents

Who is helping > or = .500 in OOC
For these 9 teams, their OOC record is 32-15-4

HARVARD 4-0-0 as of 12/10/2014 Remaining NC - 3
DARTMOUTH 2-0-0 as of 12/10/2014 Remaining NC - 5
YALE 2-0-1 as of 12/10/2014 Remaining NC - 4
UNION 6-2-0 as of 12/10/2014 Remaining NC - 4
BROWN 2-1-0 as of 12/10/2014 Remaining NC - 4
COLGATE 6-4-0 as of 12/10/2014 Remaining NC - 2
ST. LAWRENCE 4-3-1 as of 12/10/2014 Remaining NC - 4
QUINNIPIAC 4-3-1 as of 12/10/2014 Remaining NC - 4
CORNELL 2-2-1 as of 12/10/2014 Remaining NC - 2

Who is not helping < .500 in OOC
For these three teams, their OOC record is 5-15-4

PRINCETON 1-2-1 as of 12/10/2014 Remaining NC - 3
CLARKSON 2-6-2 as of 12/10/2014 Remaining NC - 2
RPI 2-7-1 as of 12/10/2014 Remaining NC - 4

The next 6 weeks will close out much of the OOC competition.

Observations
#1. The three ECAC teams, Princeton, RPI and Clarkson have as many OOC loses as the rest of the league combined. Without this huge drag, the other nine teams would have the best OOC record in College Hockey.
#2. The Ivy OOC record is 12-5-3 is outstanding and would be the best in all of College Hockey if they were a separate league
#3. We have three very important OOC games coming up against three very tough HE teams, Connecticut, UML and BU. Connecticut always plays us tough and its their "Coming out Party" we are attending. UML is #2 in HE and BU is #1 in HE. Going to be very tough.
#4. This coming week our ECAC teams could go 0-6 (... always the optimist)
#5. Robert Morris is 10-1-3 but their SOS is 59 and they are ranked 33 (KRACH). St. Cloud State is 6-7-1 but their SOS is 6 and they are ranked 17 (KRACH). Scheduling and winning against tough OOC teams is critical for making the NCAA tournament. Look at Colgate last year.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2014 04:18PM by Dutchman.

Mankato cancels game?
Posted by: Chris '03 (---.sub-70-215-9.myvzw.com)
Date: December 13, 2014 02:31PM

Here's one of those things that could bite the ECAC in March: [msumavericks.com]

Mankato says too many guys have the flu and they canceled their game with Princeton tonight. I don't recall ever seeing anything like this.

Re: Mankato cancels game?
Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-209-136.myvzw.com)
Date: December 13, 2014 03:34PM

Chris '03
Here's one of those things that could bite the ECAC in March: [msumavericks.com]

Mankato says too many guys have the flu and they canceled their game with Princeton tonight. I don't recall ever seeing anything like this.

I don't think that Princeton losing to Mankato tonight would help the ECAC. I guess they could have pulled one out but they lost last night 5-0.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.sub-70-215-6.myvzw.com)
Date: December 13, 2014 04:33PM

marty
Chris '03

I don't think that Princeton losing to Mankato tonight would help the ECAC. I guess they could have pulled one out but they lost last night 5-0.

The better princeton's sos, the better the ecac's sos. Since rpi is so important the opponents opponents winning percentage matters. If Princeton is going to lose a bunch of games this year, we'd rather they lose to Mankato than, say, Maine or sacred heart. It's not doubt a small effect but we've seen some pretty small effects be decisive. The evac has a ton of teams in the 16-30 pwr range who could use any boost.

Date: December 13, 2014 04:57PM

Chris '03
marty
Chris '03

The better princeton's sos, the better the ecac's sos. Since rpi is so important the opponents opponents winning percentage matters. If Princeton is going to lose a bunch of games this year, we'd rather they lose to Mankato than, say, Maine or sacred heart. It's not doubt a small effect but we've seen some pretty small effects be decisive. The evac has a ton of teams in the 16-30 pwr range who could use any boost.

OK.

Speaking of rpi, RPI may well help the league tonight by losing to number two BU. And you can watch the game live in HD at [www.rpitv.org].

l'll be watching live on the beautiful Troy hill. popcorn

Date: December 13, 2014 09:14PM

all 4 ECAC OOC games this weekend have been losses for league squads.

BU won 5-1 at RPI. Game was a lot tighter than score indicates.

Vermont won 2-0 at SLU.

Minnesota State-Mankato vs. Princeton was cancelled due to flu.

On friday,

Vermont won 2-1 at SLU.

MSU-Mankato won 5-0 over Princeton.

On tap Sunday,

Dartmouth hosts Sacred Heart and Clarkson travels to Michigan State.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2014 11:10AM by imafrshmn.

Date: December 14, 2014 09:24AM

Exercise for somebody clever. Substitute conference for team, drop the intraconference games, and build a "Conference PWR" with the conference games.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 14, 2014 09:30AM

imafrshmn

Some Flu

Date: December 14, 2014 11:01AM

Shoot, last night's game was cancelled indeed. 5-0 was friday night. Woops

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-209-138.myvzw.com)
Date: December 14, 2014 11:18AM

Towerroad
imafrshmn

Some Flu

Flu BU, Mankato, too!

Date: December 27, 2014 08:30PM

Q takes care of Princeton, 2-0.

Union loses to UConn and has managed to lose more game before New Year's (9-7-1) than all of the prior year (32-6-4). Cornell managed to do that in the first game of 1970-71.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-209-137.myvzw.com)
Date: January 02, 2015 07:49PM

RPI ties Miami early in the second.

Watch free

Www.rpitv.org

Date: January 02, 2015 10:58PM

Miami goes on to win 3-2.

Dartmouth ties Denver today, and will host BC tomorrow. That'll be interesting.

Date: January 03, 2015 10:57AM

Any of the RPI followers know anything about this? Their 4 captains are suspended.

Date: January 03, 2015 01:24PM

Jim Hyla
Any of the RPI followers know anything about this? Their 4 captains are suspended.

I knew there were bodies missing while watching the game but didn't know about the suspensions. Too bad, as RPI almost did what Notre Dame did in Estero.

Date: January 03, 2015 09:24PM

Dartmouth losing 3-2 in a game they led until the 3rd period.

Union currently knotted 2-2 with BU in the 3rd at Agganis...

Posted by: jkahn (73.44.94.---)
Date: January 03, 2015 09:44PM

BC beats Dartmouth 3-2.
Union and BU tie 3-3.
Miami beats RPI 3-0.
Denver beats Brown 5-3.
And with Minnesota State playing a tie tonight vs. Northern Michigan, Harvard moves up to #1 in Pairwise.

Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login