Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Re: Alumni in the pros - May 2014

Posted by BMac 
Posted by: BMac (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 01, 2014 10:44AM

Moulson moves on the second round when the Wild beat the Avs in OT in game 7
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2014 02:16PM by Beeeej.

Re: Alumni in the pros - April 2014
Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 01, 2014 01:41PM

A good game overall for Matt. Would have liked to see him block that shot that Stastny scored on but great job of screening Varlamov throughout the game.

Posted by: kicksave (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 05, 2014 01:13PM

Douglas Murray has not played for the Canadiens in the playoffs so far. Healthy scratch every game.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: May 06, 2014 07:17PM

kicksave
Douglas Murray has not played for the Canadiens in the playoffs so far. Healthy scratch every game.

Murray is in the line-up for tonight's game in Montreal.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: May 06, 2014 09:57PM

Rita
kicksave

He was involved in the scrum at the end of the game as well.

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 06, 2014 10:02PM

Trotsky
Rita
kicksave

He was involved in the scrum at the end of the game as well.

12:22 playing time, +1, with 5 hits and 4 blocked shots. Included in that ice time was one 2 minute 10 second shift in the 1st period where they couldn't get the puck out of their own end and iced it twice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2014 10:08PM by jkahn.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 09, 2014 12:23AM

Murray is getting skewered at a Habs blog that seems fairly prominent (first hit on google for "Montreal Canadiens blog";). The blog post itself, and pretty much all of the commenters, hate him. :( It seems like the tone of the blog is generally over the top anyway, but still.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 09, 2014 06:12AM

ftyuv
Murray is getting skewered at a Habs blog that seems fairly prominent (first hit on google for "Montreal Canadiens blog";). The blog post itself, and pretty much all of the commenters, hate him. :( It seems like the tone of the blog is generally over the top anyway, but still.
Good thing for Canada-Sweden relations that the blog is in English.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: May 09, 2014 12:07PM

Holy shit. Them's fighting words, right there. flipa

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 09, 2014 12:11PM

Trotsky
Holy shit. Them's fighting words, right there. flipa

Murray is good at one thing: Hitting. It's because he's 6-foot-3 and 240 pounds, and you know that's how big he is because it's repeated literally every time he's mentioned on a television broadcast. There's nothing else to say about him. He's big and physical and slow and an awful skater and unskilled and big and physical and almost useless out there and also big and physical. That he's been in the league as long as he has is entirely due to the fact that he happens to be a very large man. Under no circumstances should any coach play him in a playoff game of this gravity, especially when all he can do is the exact opposite of what worked for his team literally two days earlier.
Ouch.

Edit to add: On the other hand, there are two other Canadiens who also failed to clear the rebound that Fraser eventually put in, and "floating around his own zone in a wide-eyed mixture of confusion and horror" is the kind of sports journalism cliche that Deadspin usually takes pride in skewering.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2014 12:16PM by Josh '99.

Date: May 09, 2014 12:27PM

Josh '99
"floating around his own zone in a wide-eyed mixture of confusion and horror" is the kind of sports journalism cliche that Deadspin usually takes pride in skewering.
Unfortunately it looks like the advanced stats are on their side. The Bruins' Corsi when Murray was on the ice even strength was 70%. The Bruins' SA/60 when he was on the ice even strength was 94.3, which was higher than 12 NHL teams managed on power play this year.

Apparently, Doug has turned into a door-stop. I haven't paid attention to the NHL since Nieuwy retired, so I don't know if this is sudden.
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2014 12:30PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: May 09, 2014 12:48PM

Trotsky
Josh '99
"floating around his own zone in a wide-eyed mixture of confusion and horror" is the kind of sports journalism cliche that Deadspin usually takes pride in skewering.
Unfortunately it looks like the advanced stats are on their side. The Bruins' Corsi when Murray was on the ice even strength was 70%. The Bruins' SA/60 when he was on the ice even strength was 94.3, which was higher than 12 NHL teams managed on power play this year.

Apparently, Doug has turned into a door-stop. I haven't paid attention to the NHL since Nieuwy retired, so I don't know if this is sudden.

I thought he looked okay for the Penguins last year, but no one else did.

He's 34. It's quite possible that he's lost a step or three, as much of a shame as that is.

Date: May 09, 2014 02:56PM

Trotsky
Josh '99
True enough, but the numbers do a fine enough job of pointing that out without attempting to characterize what was going on in his head. "The Bruins controlled the puck when Murray was on the ice" is analysis. "Murray was scared and confused" is tripe.

Date: May 09, 2014 05:28PM

If I were to say to you, "France beat Canada today," what sport would you think I was talking about? Would hockey be your very last guess? Because France beat Canada today in hockey. Yes, obviously many of Canada's best players are playing in the Stanley Cup playoffs, but even so, it's a team of NHL players, many of whom are pretty good NHL players, whereas France's team is 38-year-old Cristobal Huet and bunch of guys I've never heard of. And yes, it was a shootout win and not a real win, but still.

Oh, the reason I posted this here and not in a new thread is because Ben Scrivens was on the bench in favor of James Reimer. (I feel like that conversation has been had before.) Perhaps Scrivens will get a shot in Canada's next game, against Slovakia tomorrow.

Date: May 12, 2014 01:10PM

Josh '99
Oh, the reason I posted this here and not in a new thread is because Ben Scrivens was on the bench in favor of James Reimer. (I feel like that conversation has been had before.) Perhaps Scrivens will get a shot in Canada's next game, against Slovakia tomorrow.
Canada went with Scrivens against Slovakia on Saturday and were rewarded with a 4-1 win. Scrivens stopped 23 of Slovakia's 24 shots and Slovakia's one goal came on the power play. Canada play next against the Czech Republic later today.

Edit to add: OH! Kirill Gotovets is playing for hosts Belarus. He was not in the lineup for their 6-1 loss to the USA last Friday but was part of the third defensive pairing for their 4-1 win over Kazakhstan yesterday and their 4-3 win over Switzerland earlier today (sorry JTW). He had no points in either game and has one minor penalty. Belarus play next against Finland on Thursday.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2014 01:17PM by Josh '99.

Date: May 12, 2014 09:03PM

A nice article on the 1979 Boston v. Montreal playoff series and the "Too Many Men" call that sent game 7 into OT. It fits here, because Dryden was in goal for Montreal, his last season in the NHL.

Date: May 13, 2014 09:34AM

Josh '99
Josh '99
Canada went with Scrivens against Slovakia on Saturday and were rewarded with a 4-1 win. Scrivens stopped 23 of Slovakia's 24 shots and Slovakia's one goal came on the power play. Canada play next against the Czech Republic later today.
Reimer was back in net for Canada in their 4-3 win over the Czechs yesterday and saved 31 of 34 shots. Scrivens is still better.

Posted by: jkahn (---.bobbroadband.com)
Date: May 16, 2014 10:21AM

Ben Scrivens made 29 saves in Canada's 6-1 win over Denmark yesterday.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: May 18, 2014 09:08PM

jkahn

Scrivens in net for Canada's 3-2 OT win over Sweden.

Posted by: CAS (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 23, 2014 08:33AM

When should we expect Cornell to put out the release identifying the hockey recruits entering this fall?

Date: May 23, 2014 10:45AM

CAS
When should we expect Cornell to put out the release identifying the hockey recruits entering this fall?
They're ordering a style pack option for MS Office called Upbeat Synonyms. Put in "5-foot-7" and it returns scrappy, spirited, hustle, coachable.

Date: May 23, 2014 11:35AM

billhoward
CAS
They're ordering a style pack option for MS Office called Upbeat Synonyms. Put in "5-foot-7" and it returns scrappy, spirited, hustle, coachable.

Interesting. At ESPN, that's just the definition of "white."

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: May 25, 2014 12:04PM

Digit Murphy was a guest for a short segment about Women's Hockey on the anniversary show of "Only A Game."

[onlyagame.wbur.org]

Date: May 25, 2014 04:52PM

RichH
Digit Murphy was a guest for a short segment about Women's Hockey on the anniversary show of "Only A Game."

[onlyagame.wbur.org]

She is a good interview and her description of how teams/players back in her day traveled to road games compared to today was amusing.

Posted by: dag14 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 25, 2014 06:05PM

The painter/part-time coach was Bill Duthie '71 who played for Ned. He was inducted into the Hall of Fame as a result of his contributions and success with the women's hockey program, including 6 consecutive Ivy championships. He may no longer be coaching the women's team but he continues to be a painting contractor in the Ithaca area.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: May 25, 2014 09:27PM

Rita
RichH

[onlyagame.wbur.org]

She is a good interview and her description of how teams/players back in her day traveled to road games compared to today was amusing.
She did color on a women's game a few years ago. She was the best hockey commentator I've ever heard.

Date: May 27, 2014 06:43PM

nyc94
jkahn

Scrivens in net for Canada's 3-2 OT win over Sweden.
Canada went back to Reimer for their final preliminary round game against Norway (won 3-2, Reimer gave up 2 goals on 16 shots). Scrivens got the start in the QF against Finland and unfortunately didn't get the job done; Canada led 2-1 after 2 periods, outshooting Finland heavily throughout, but Finland tied it less than a minute into the third and got the go-ahead goal with just over three minutes left. Overall, he gave up three goals on 26 shots; Pekka Rinne stopped 36 of 38 to earn the win.

Posted by: djk26 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 30, 2014 10:45PM

Not Cornell alum related, but also not deserving of its own thread...

I can't be the only one who finds it weird to be rooting FOR Dominic Moore now.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 30, 2014 11:59PM

djk26

No. No you're not. Moore and a Keebler elf.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: May 31, 2014 11:22AM

Chris '03
djk26

I picked all the best teams when I was five, so I'm not a Rangers fan, but I root for NY teams if my teams are out. I probably liked the Islanders better for a few years until they traded Moulson and vaporized a few draft picks in the process, but oh well.

Strange to see the Rangers won, be happy, and then see Moore scored the goal and be kinda pissed.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: June 01, 2014 03:54PM

djk26

I'm with you, although maybe not feeling as strange. Just like I rooted for Yale and then Union, I can root for a former Harvard player.

Date: June 01, 2014 04:33PM

Jim Hyla
djk26

I'm with you, although maybe not feeling as strange. Just like I rooted for Yale and then Union, I can root for a former Harvard player.
Who is well-spoken, who represents what's left of amateur college sports, who lost his Harvard-grad wife to cancer at 32, and who probably cringes every time a story about them recalls the parallels to Love Story. Maybe the faithful can cut him a break.

Posted by: sah67 (---.nj.res.rr.com)
Date: June 01, 2014 05:35PM

Moved to June thread
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2014 05:35PM by sah67.

Date: June 02, 2014 11:18AM

Chris '03
djk26

Yep. Definitely weird.

Date: June 02, 2014 12:35PM

billhoward
Jim Hyla
djk26

Who is well-spoken, who represents what's left of amateur college sports, who lost his Harvard-grad wife to cancer at 32, and who probably cringes every time a story about them recalls the parallels to Love Story. Maybe the faithful can cut him a break.

Dominic and Katie Moore's story was the subject of an ESPN E:60 story. Might want to have a tissue on hand.

Posted by: carpy85 (---.mycingular.net)
Date: June 03, 2014 03:23AM

I have to be a traitor to all the Rangers fans here and root for the Hometown Hero Dustin Brown and the rest of the LA Kings team.

Posted by: profudge (---.dsl1.nrwc.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 03, 2014 07:23AM

Hey _ I'm rooting for both teams - and I hope to see GREAT hockey and a 7 game series - banana

Date: June 03, 2014 12:15PM

I speak for exactly one Islander fan in saying Go Rangers.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.customer.alter.net)
Date: June 03, 2014 12:29PM

Trotsky
I speak for exactly one Islander fan in saying Go Rangers.
This Rangers fan says "Thank you".

Posted by: redice (---.direcpc.com)
Date: June 04, 2014 11:01AM

I'm with carpy85...

Plus, the Kings don't have Dominic Moore. Easy choice for me!!

Go Kings!!!

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: ftyuv (---.hubspot.com)
Date: June 04, 2014 11:52AM

I rooted for the Kings a few years ago, because they were the 8-seed that was supposed to get crushed, and Cinderella stories are nice. Now they're just a team with a boring color scheme from a city that doesn't deserve to exist. Go Rangers-by-default!

Posted by: Robb (134.223.230.---)
Date: June 04, 2014 03:40PM

ftyuv
I rooted for the Kings a few years ago, because they were the 8-seed that was supposed to get crushed, and Cinderella stories are nice. Now they're just a team with a boring color scheme from a city that doesn't deserve to exist. Go Rangers-by-default!
Hey now!

Posted by: ftyuv (---.hubspot.com)
Date: June 04, 2014 07:02PM

Robb
ftyuv
Hey now!

I'm fully qualified to make that statement, having spent a whole three days there once at a conference. ;)

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: June 04, 2014 08:55PM

To all of the folks who can't seem to pull for the Rangers, which part of "David Leneveu will dress for the NYR" are you folks not understanding?cheer
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2014 08:55PM by Roy 82.

Posted by: RichH (134.223.230.---)
Date: June 05, 2014 11:11AM

Roy 82
To all of the folks who can't seem to pull for the Rangers, which part of "David Leneveu will dress for the NYR" are you folks not understanding?cheer

I admit that this is preferable to a naked David LeNeveu.

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: June 05, 2014 08:56PM

RichH
Roy 82

I admit that this is preferable to a naked David LeNeveu.

Ouch. That hurts just thinking about it.scared

Leneveu and Cornell did get a shoutout during last night's broadcast.

Posted by: tretiak (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 05, 2014 09:06PM

To all of the folks who can't seem to pull for the Rangers, which part of "David Leneveu will dress for the NYR" are you folks not understanding?

Ben Scrivens > David LeNeveu

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login