Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

2014 ECAC Early Departures

Posted by Trotsky 
2014 ECAC Early Departures
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 30, 2014 12:15PM

Current list:
Cor Jr F  Brian Ferlin        32 13-14-27
Qpc Jr F  Bryce van Brabant   40 15- 7-22
RPI Jr F  Ryan Haggerty       35 28-15-43
RPI So F  Mike Zalewski       35  9-17-26
SLU Fr F  Matt Carey          38 18-19-37

Full NCAA list is [www.uscho.com].
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2014 10:06PM by Trotsky.

Re: 2014 ECAC Early Departures
Posted by: BearLover (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 30, 2014 06:52PM

Brabant put up mediocre numbers at Q. He may be big and bruising, but I've never seen an ECAC forward with such numbers have a successful NHL career.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 31, 2014 08:28AM

BearLover
Brabant put up mediocre numbers at Q. He may be big and bruising, but I've never seen an ECAC forward with such numbers have a successful NHL career.
I'd call George Parros a fair ceiling for what could reasonably be expected, though van Brabant doesn't have Parros's size.

Posted by: ScrewBUHarvardtoo (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 31, 2014 06:39PM

Haggerty should have some success (barring injury) in the NHL. The guy is an absolute sniper

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 31, 2014 07:25PM

ScrewBUHarvardtoo
Haggerty should have some success (barring injury) in the NHL. The guy is an absolute sniper

I don't believe he will. I hope I'm wrong but he has so much to learn that it's hard to believe that he'll have success soon. He needs seasoning.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 01, 2014 09:10AM

marty
ScrewBUHarvardtoo

I don't believe he will. I hope I'm wrong but he has so much to learn that it's hard to believe that he'll have success soon. He needs seasoning.

I have a hard time believing that he will be able to get as open in the NHL as he did in college. The following is a video that RPI-TV put together of all of his home goals:

Sorry about the goal horn. :-P

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-209-130.myvzw.com)
Date: April 01, 2014 12:39PM

ursusminor
marty
ScrewBUHarvardtoo

I have a hard time believing that he will be able to get as open in the NHL as he did in college. The following is a video that RPI-TV put together of all of his home goals:

Did anyone include the Sunday night through the point - five forwards on the RPI PP - Green SHG in a Dartmouth highlight reel? Guess who was on the point.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 01, 2014 03:42PM

marty
ursusminor
marty
ScrewBUHarvardtoo

Did anyone include the Sunday night through the point - five forwards on the RPI PP - Green SHG in a Dartmouth highlight reel? Guess who was on the point.

Not in a Haggerty highlight video or any of the other compilations that RPI-TV has produced, at least those which they have put on the web. You can, of course, find that in the game video which is on the RPI-TV website.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: April 01, 2014 05:38PM

ursusminor
marty
ursusminor
marty
ScrewBUHarvardtoo

Not in a Haggerty highlight video or any of the other compilations that RPI-TV has produced, at least those which they have put on the web. You can, of course, find that in the game video which is on the RPI-TV website.

The Big Green on Sunday the 9th

Posted by: slh10 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 11, 2014 06:13PM

Ferlin signing with Bruins at entry level contract. Really hoped we would not have anyone leave early. Good luck Brian!!!

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 11, 2014 07:15PM

slh10
Ferlin signing with Bruins at entry level contract. Really hoped we would not have anyone leave early. Good luck Brian!!!

In my opinion, the worst early signing since Shane Hynes, in all the senses that can mean. I don't think he's NHL-ready, and I wonder if he, like Shane, won't sniff the big time. Another year, particularly a star turn on a probable national title contender, could've raised his stock considerably.

I wish him the best; for his sake, I hope I'm wrong.

Guess it's time for balanced scoring and shutdown defense—back to '97!

Posted by: Icy (---.apng.wireless-pennnet.upenn.edu)
Date: April 11, 2014 09:30PM

I'm sorry to see him go. In my opinion though, he wasn't developing a lot as a hockey player while he was at Cornell. Maybe he wanted to get into a professional program where he would be coached differently. This is just speculation on my part.

Date: April 11, 2014 09:54PM

Vaya con Dios, Brian. I was hoping the Bruins being so stacked would take the signing pressure off him.

Looks like, ready or not, time for Matt Buckles to be a second liner. Hit those weights, kid.

Date: April 11, 2014 10:01PM

Oops, nm. Old news.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2014 10:04PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: MattS (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 11, 2014 10:17PM

I wonder if Ferlin leaving will effect what Ryan does. I think it would if I was his age and in his situation. Losing the #1 tender and now the #1 scorer doesn't bode well for next season. Certainly it would make me think harder.

Posted by: BMac (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 11, 2014 11:29PM

DAMN. Good luck to him, but DAMN.

Posted by: WillCMJr (208.65.20.---)
Date: April 12, 2014 01:53PM

Scersk '97
slh10

Another year, particularly a star turn on a probable national title contender, could've raised his stock considerably.

I agreed with you totally until that sentence. I think they will be fortunate to be a league title contender. I don't think there is anything dramatic coming next year to bring them from 4th best in the division with an anemic offense, to a national title contender. We have no idea what their quality of goal tending is going to be like, chronic offense problems and a defense that is good, but not a shut down level D.

As a whole, I saw Ferlin as a selfish puck-hog who isn't nearly as good as he thinks he is. While he certainly drew attention of the defense, he isn't a team player and I believe the team as a whole is better off without him. I believe Cole has the talent to be a star and is a major team player. If he can learn to take more of the spotlight, Cornell will be much better off.

Posted by: ScrewBUHarvardtoo (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 12, 2014 07:02PM

I hate to see Ferlin go, as he scored at least three game winning goals this year (At Yale, at Qpac, and of course Clarkson). But while that does suck, if our offense was so terrible this year, maybe changing it up will help? He was a puck hog, but he was getting better at passing. Even though he is far from being NHL ready, I don't think he's going to get any better staying here (especially w/ Schafer's system), so I can definitely see this decision. I wish him well, but I think he'll struggle to get minutes, especially on a team as stacked as the Bruins

Date: April 12, 2014 07:56PM

I would have resented Ferlin's pug hogging more if he was denying better options. Also, I think he spent more time on the puck because it was really hard to knock him off it.

He probably needed to move on to develop.

Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: April 15, 2014 02:27PM

Gostisbehere signs.

So does senior Mat Bodie, but he will finish up his spring semester and join the NYR this summer.

Posted by: Swampy (---.219.128.131.dhcp.uri.edu)
Date: April 15, 2014 03:46PM

Rita
Gostisbehere signs.

So does senior Mat Bodie, but he will finish up his spring semester and join the NYR this summer.

Sort of makes you wonder. If underclassmen routinely left early with NHL contracts, where would Cornell have been in 1967 & 1970? Dryden was a sophomore in 1967 and stayed and graduated in 1969. But the Fergusons and Orr were seniors that year. Lodboa was a senior in 1970; today how likely would it be that he stays all 4 years?

Posted by: redice (---.direcpc.com)
Date: April 15, 2014 07:51PM

Swampy
Rita
Gostisbehere signs.

Sort of makes you wonder. If underclassmen routinely left early with NHL contracts, where would Cornell have been in 1967 & 1970? Dryden was a sophomore in 1967 and stayed and graduated in 1969. But the Fergusons and Orr were seniors that year. Lodboa was a senior in 1970; today how likely would it be that he stays all 4 years?

Tough one.... The money is so much bigger today. But, with the lock that Ned had on these boys minds & hearts, I'm thinking that many would want to stay & play for Ned. It seems to universal that, until the day he died, they would all do anything for Ned....

-Ned Harkness

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login