Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Northwestern Football Wins Right to Unionize

Posted by Towerroad 
Northwestern Football Wins Right to Unionize
Posted by: Towerroad (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 26, 2014 04:54PM

The Football team won round 1 in the fight to unionize at Northwestern

This could be the biggest threat to the NC$$ ever. Could spill over to Hockey.

Stay tuned for round 2.

Interesting analysis including comparisons to the Ivy League and the concussion issue

[www.cnn.com]
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2014 04:59PM by Towerroad.

Re: Northwestern Football Wins Right to Unionize
Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2014 05:14PM

Towerroad
The Football team won round 1 in the fight to unionize at Northwestern

This could be the biggest threat to the NC$$ ever. Could spill over to Hockey.

Stay tuned for round 2.

Interesting analysis including comparisons to the Ivy League and the concussion issue

[www.cnn.com]

I would have expected this story to break next Tuesday.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 26, 2014 05:59PM

Towerroad
Stay tuned for round 2.
..and 3 and 4 if necessary. The NC$$ will fight this tooth and nail because it does threaten the entire structure of big time athletics. I'll speculate that the Chicago NLRB is a more favorable environment for this argument than the federal courts would be but I'm not sure. We'll see.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 26, 2014 06:54PM

KeithK
Towerroad
Stay tuned for round 2.
..and 3 and 4 if necessary. The NC$$ will fight this tooth and nail because it does threaten the entire structure of big time athletics. I'll speculate that the Chicago NLRB is a more favorable environment for this argument than the federal courts would be but I'm not sure. We'll see.
I am sure this will go the full 15. But the NC$$ is under attack from multiple sides and there will be stronger pressure for change regardless. What does that mean for Cornell and Hockey? Here is my fairly uninformed guess.

1. Athletic Scholarships might become a thing of the past. The article suggests that the Ivy model might be a path around the "employment" issue. That in turn would remove a at least the perception that the Ivy's have a recruiting disadvantage when it comes to scholarships.

2. If Colleges are more responsible for injuries that their employees sustain during the performance of their duties then there will be a lot of pressure to reduce concussions. As I have said before the mens game will look more like the womens game with more emphasis on passing and skating and far less on checking

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 26, 2014 11:29PM

KeithK
Towerroad
Stay tuned for round 2.
I don't even know if the NLRB has a legal quorum to hear the appeal. (I mean, I think they do but the DC Circuit said that they don't and the Supreme Court heard the recess appointments case in January).

SIDE NOTE: ended up reading the recess appointments oral argument transcript. the history is much more fascinating than i expected and i wouldn't be surprised to see the executive branch lose 9-0. stunned.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2014 10:01AM by ugarte.

Posted by: phillysportsfan (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2014 02:50AM

[sportsillustrated.cnn.com]

Another good article summing up the other 2 cases hitting the NCAA at the moment. The Kessler law suit could be an even bigger threat since he just wants to blow the system up instead of seeking specific damages.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.sme.zscaler.net)
Date: March 27, 2014 10:18AM

ugarte

I don't even know if the NLRB has a legal quorum to hear the appeal. (I mean, I think they do but the DC Circuit said that they don't and the Supreme Court heard the recess appointments case in January).

It does as of last summer.

Posted by: ugarte (207.239.110.---)
Date: March 27, 2014 10:32AM

redhair34
ugarte

It does as of last summer.
Thanks.

Posted by: phillysportsfan (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: June 01, 2014 11:47PM

OBannon trial set to start June 9 after 5 years. Could be the beginning of major change for the NCAA although probably will take another 5 years as they keep appealing

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login