Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Lake Placid Attendance

Posted by Chris '03 
Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Lake Placid Attendance
Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 26, 2014 11:46AM

they're advertising the games on every Flyers telecast and also on billboards here in the Allentown area.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 26, 2014 11:56AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
they're advertising the games on every Flyers telecast and also on billboards here in the Allentown area.
The Flyers are advertising Lake Placid games on every telecast? Wow!

(I know what you meant. Your post rolled over to page 2 of the flat view, so it just read funny.)

Posted by: marty (---.albyny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 10, 2014 01:45PM

I'm too lazy to start another poll, but you have to wonder what the crowd will look like today. I received this message at 12:10 PM this afternoon.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: April 10, 2014 02:00PM

Chris '03
So by exactly one fan, the finals attendance was the worst non-AC final of the past 20 years.
I was thinking it was also the smallest increase from the first to second day until I saw 2008.

WTF? Was there terrible weather the second night? Even though we lost the SF we still played in the Consy.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: April 10, 2014 04:13PM

marty
I'm too lazy to start another poll, but you have to wonder what the crowd will look like today. I received this message at 12:10 PM this afternoon.

FWIW, the Wells Fargo center always has seats available, even during Flyers playoff games. Usually those are in the luxury boxes, so nobody but corporate types want them. So just because they're advertising "seats available" it doesn't mean that there won't be a crowd.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: May 28, 2014 01:39PM

I had no idea.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 29, 2014 10:51AM

Trotsky
I had no idea.

Thanks, nice tidbit.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: September 02, 2014 12:22PM

This is what happens when the ECAC pulls out of a town...

Extra credit for this quote:

Atlantic City is like Detroit and Las Vegas got drunk, made a baby and abandoned it in New Jersey.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2014 12:25PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 03, 2014 12:28PM

Trotsky
This is what happens when the ECAC pulls out of a town...

Extra credit for this quote:

Atlantic City is like Detroit and Las Vegas got drunk, made a baby and abandoned it in New Jersey.
I'm not convinced that the ECAC leaving Albany is the cause of rampant corruption in the New York state government, but I'm not convinced it's not the cause either.

Posted by: cth95 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 07, 2014 07:43AM

I was just in Lake Placid this weekend. They already have posters up advertising the tournament.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 08, 2014 10:49AM

cth95
I was just in Lake Placid this weekend. They already have posters up advertising the tournament.
And another sports bar at the far end of Main Street: Players, across from the Dancing Bears Tavern / High Peaks Resort. Medium size place, mixed reviews on the hospitality. We had two decent meals over the summer including the day Germany demolished Brazil in the World Cup and there were two happy tables of Germans next to us. Others say some of the wait staff can be inflexible. Welcome to the world of summer help coming in from eastern Europe. Small porch off of the back with nice lake views in summer. No more new hotels in the downtown area but still you should be able to book a room the Sunday before the finals weekend, just not at every place in tow. LP really is decent place to spend the weekend even if your team doesn't advance to Saturday's final.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 24, 2015 05:07PM

Interesting article in USCHO about attendance at all the tournaments.

Date: March 25, 2015 07:20AM

And finally:-D, Adam's CHN editorial on the subject.

And here's Ken Schott's article that Adam mentions.

Followed by the article in the Lowell Sun that Ken Schott discussed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2015 07:43AM by Jim Hyla.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 25, 2015 07:47AM

i remember the games back in the garden when the hockey east and ecac were in the same building.. made for a crazy atmosphere and some fun hockey to watch.

Date: March 25, 2015 08:13AM

upprdeck
i remember the games back in the garden when the hockey east and ecac were in the same building.. made for a crazy atmosphere and some fun hockey to watch.

And if everyone agreed to eliminate third place games, it's physically possible. I'd buy a ticket every year, Cornell in or not. Two Thursday night games for one conference, two on Friday for the other, alternating HE with ECAC every other year. Then two finals on Saturday. If you think The Garden wouldn't be big enough to hold both conference finals crowds, then you could have two separate games with separate tickets. The Thursday finals at 2PM and the Friday at 8PM. I'd go to both, but not everyone would. It would be a lot more fun.

Re: Lake Placid Attendance through 2015
Date: March 25, 2015 09:00AM

(Updating Chris '03's attendance table to include 2015).

Placid:
1993: ---- / 7867
1994: ---- / 6316
1995: ---- / 6562
1996: ---- / 8300
1997: ---- / 8081
1998: ---- / 5289
1999: ---- / 8469
2000: 5389 / 6790
2001: 4990 / 6256
2002: 5422 / 6518
Finals average: 7249

Albany:
2003: 6936 / 8296
2004: 5641 / 6489
2005: 7580 / 8637
2006: 6255 / 7093
2007: 4484 / 5565
2008: 5074 / 4851
2009: 3517 / 4857
2010: ???? / 6505
Finals average: 6536

New Jersey:
2011: 3351 / 4126
2012: 3462 / 4131
2013: 3145 / 4017
Finals average: 4091

Placid:
2014: 4227 / 4850 / 9077 both games
2015: 5025 / 4940 / 9965
Finals average: 4895

Date: March 25, 2015 09:22AM

Jim Hyla

Attendance at all league tournaments is not good and likely to be the same at NCAA regionals. Did the ECACs have free broadcast TV that reached through the Northeast, or just PPV? Cable/broadcast TV might affect marginal-fan interest but it also shows the league has presence. I noticed on NBCSN that after the Hockey East semifinal and title games, the studio crew wrapped up the other tournaments and showed clips, but I didn't see highlights of the ECAC games.

Date: March 25, 2015 10:00AM

Jim Hyla

I really like Adam, but that may be the worst column he's ever written. Not so much for the opinions stated, but the Full Pundit Derp mode in which they are written. Bad enough that 98% of sportswriting has that wearisome post-ESPN knowing ironic style. He's way better than that.

What's the expression: those who do not bother to read well had no advantage over those who cannot? Same goes for writing.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2015 10:01AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (161.185.160.---)
Date: March 25, 2015 12:07PM

billhoward
Jim Hyla

Attendance at all league tournaments is not good and likely to be the same at NCAA regionals. Did the ECACs have free broadcast TV that reached through the Northeast, or just PPV? Cable/broadcast TV might affect marginal-fan interest but it also shows the league has presence. I noticed on NBCSN that after the Hockey East semifinal and title games, the studio crew wrapped up the other tournaments and showed clips, but I didn't see highlights of the ECAC games.

ECACs were on FCS-Atlantic. Standard definition only (at least in my house).

Posted by: marty (---.albyny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 25, 2015 12:17PM

Trotsky
Jim Hyla

I really like Adam, but that may be the worst column he's ever written. Not so much for the opinions stated, but the Full Pundit Derp mode in which they are written. Bad enough that 98% of sportswriting has that wearisome post-ESPN knowing ironic style. He's way better than that.

What's the expression: those who do not bother to read well had no advantage over those who cannot? Same goes for writing.

Does anyone else wonder if Providence in Providence got boosted by Kevin Sneddon as a gift to Nate Leaman? I think this is a weird placement. They aren't hosts- their seeding didn't warrant them the luxury of staying at home. Leaman is a great coach but this gift was, as I said, weird.

Date: March 25, 2015 07:02PM

Thanks. We had a dozen BU students / clubsport jocks staying with us over the weekend and didn't try to influence their viewing choices or search for the ECAC games.

Date: March 26, 2015 06:54AM

So if anyone is interested, today you can ask Adam your questions on Ken Schott's weekly radio show.

Date: March 23, 2016 07:23AM

USCHO on tournament attendance over the years.

Interesting quote about the western conferences.

WCHA commissioner Bill Robertson told Minneapolis TV station WCCO that he’s pushing for his league to coordinate with the NCHC and the Big Ten to hold their tournaments in the same city on the same weekend.

Read more: [www.uscho.com]

Here's the link to the original article.

I'd still like to look into combined ECAC and HE in Boston. I have to admit, I know nothing about the cost structure. But, it would be a hell of a lot of fun.

Date: March 23, 2016 08:04AM

it was fun when they did it back in the day in boston.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 23, 2016 08:18AM

upprdeck
it was fun when they did it back in the day in boston.

Except that year when everyone got mono.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: March 23, 2016 08:20AM

Jim Hyla
I'd still like to look into combined ECAC and HE in Boston. I have to admit, I know nothing about the cost structure. But, it would be a hell of a lot of fun.

Purely for reasons of local interest, when we first did that it quickly turned into the ECAC being the undercard.

IMHO it is better for the ECAC to leave Boston to HE and concentrate on Albany-Lake Placid as the core of the conference identity; another reason to ditch the sole remaining New England non-Ivy, leaving:

6 Ivies
6 NY Non-Ivies (Clarkson, SLU, Colgate, Union, RPI, RIT)

Posted by: redice (104.129.194.---)
Date: March 23, 2016 09:07AM

Jim Hyla

I'm with you on this one, Jim...... I think the secret to such an event is the formatting of the event. The last time it was tried, the ECAC teams were probably less able to compete with the HE Champ. Now, I would say: let's cap the event off with a game between the HE & ECAC Champs. Would be fun. Not sure what the NCAA & total-games ramifications would be.... But adjustments can be made if the event is worthwhile........

Date: March 23, 2016 09:17AM

redice
The last time it was tried, the ECAC teams were probably less able to compete with the HE Champ.

It was actually before HE opened up their big gap with the ECAC. It wasn't the quality of the teams but the dominance of the HE of local fan base and media. That would be even worse, now. Boston would be, for a host (get it?) of reasons, a huge step backwards for the ECAC.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2016 09:49AM

redice
Now, I would say: let's cap the event off with a game between the HE & ECAC Champs. Would be fun. Not sure what the NCAA & total-games ramifications would be.... But adjustments can be made if the event is worthwhile........

Even if the championships were held in the same location, and the NCAA total-game issues and timing with NCAA tournament selection could be worked out, I think a game between the two league champions would be a bad idea. It would remove some of the excitement from winning the league championship, as there would now be "one more game" that needed to be won. That next game, in my opinion, would be a very anti-climactic one, coming between the league championship game and the first NCAA tournament game. No offense intended, but I just see that game as a terrible idea!

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 23, 2016 09:55AM

andyw2100
redice
Now, I would say: let's cap the event off with a game between the HE & ECAC Champs. Would be fun. Not sure what the NCAA & total-games ramifications would be.... But adjustments can be made if the event is worthwhile........

Even if the championships were held in the same location, and the NCAA total-game issues and timing with NCAA tournament selection could be worked out, I think a game between the two league champions would be a bad idea. It would remove some of the excitement from winning the league championship, as there would now be "one more game" that needed to be won. That next game, in my opinion, would be a very anti-climactic one, coming between the league championship game and the first NCAA tournament game. No offense intended, but I just see that game as a terrible idea!

With both leagues at 12, I've liked the idea of the leagues scheduling a date the following season (Tuesday before thanksgiving?) when the twelve teams face off against their standings equal from the prior year. 1v1, 2v2, etc. I agree that a sandwich game in March wouldn't work.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: March 23, 2016 10:01AM

Jim Hyla
I'd still like to look into combined ECAC and HE in Boston.
While this would be incredibly convenient for me, I still think the best location for a weekend tournament starting on a Friday is Albany.

Even assuming Cornell gets back to the championship weekend sometime soon, I doubt I will attend while it's in Placid: that's just too far to go for a weekend trip that might be for only one game. Albany is 2½ hours from Boston, while Lake Placid is 5 hours if you drive straight through and don't run into traffic on 9N or 73. That, and there are no cheap hotel rooms in Placid that you can get for one or two nights, and no other towns within reasonable driving distance. In Albany, by contrast, you can book a room a 5 minute drive away at a decent hotel on the same day for next to nothing.

Placid is a bucolic setting that would be a fantastic location for this event if it weren't so far out in the middle of nowhere.

Date: March 23, 2016 10:14AM

By the end of the Albany stretch fans had developed some nice routines and figured out how to make the most of it. It really is the obvious, albeit far less romantic, choice.

I would like them to just pick a site and stop bouncing already. Stability is the most important thing to the habit of casual fans going at all. The hardcores will go even if it's in Sault Ste. Marie.

Posted by: CU2007 (160.254.20.---)
Date: March 23, 2016 11:29AM

Albany is great. Nice rink, lots of hotels, bars, restaurants in the vicinity of the rink. Seems to be somewhat the geographic center of the league, though I'm sure some other place with a decent rink is more central (Bridgeport? Hartford?) Wonder if a potential RIT addition might make somewhere like Syracuse, Binghamton or even Elmira more viable.

Date: March 23, 2016 12:18PM

CU2007
Albany is great. Nice rink, lots of hotels, bars, restaurants in the vicinity of the rink. Seems to be somewhat the geographic center of the league, though I'm sure some other place with a decent rink is more central (Bridgeport? Hartford?)
I believe somebody (jtw almost certainly) worked out the exact geographic center of the ECAC and it was about a mile east of the Albany rink.

From that perspective, it is perfect.

Date: March 23, 2016 12:35PM

Trotsky
redice
The last time it was tried, the ECAC teams were probably less able to compete with the HE Champ.

It was actually before HE opened up their big gap with the ECAC. It wasn't the quality of the teams but the dominance of the HE of local fan base and media. That would be even worse, now. Boston would be, for a host (get it?) of reasons, a huge step backwards for the ECAC.

I don't know why it would be a huge step backwards. You don't think we could get 4-5000 fans, which is what we get now? You don't think we'd have better press than we get from LP? Sure HE would be the main focus, but I still think being a lesser focus in Boston is stronger than the only focus in LP.

I know that if it were in Boston, my wife and I would probably go every year. There's so much to do there, but with LP, once you've been there a few times, well that's it. I'd probably go to the HE games, and my wife would pick up a museum or two. We'd both be happy. I thought about going to LP this year, but my wife wasn't interested. With Boston it would change the calculation completely.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-209-139.myvzw.com)
Date: March 23, 2016 12:40PM

CU2007
Albany is great. Nice rink, lots of hotels, bars, restaurants in the vicinity of the rink. Seems to be somewhat the geographic center of the league, though I'm sure some other place with a decent rink is more central (Bridgeport? Hartford?) Wonder if a potential RIT addition might make somewhere like Syracuse, Binghamton or even Elmira more viable.

Better facility than it was in 2010. That improvement helped draw the regionals back this weekend.

And apparently there are more improvements on the way.

[www.bizjournals.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2016 12:48PM by marty.

Date: March 23, 2016 12:42PM

i know many people who stopped going once it moved out of boston. so much more to do and so much easier to get to and get around in. if want to make it crazy go to toronto or montreal. its a drive but at least it would be different and so many of the canadian fans would love it. why not philly? would that be much different than LP for many?

Date: March 23, 2016 12:45PM

marty
Better facility than it was in 2010. That improvement helped draw the regionals back this weekend.

Interesting. What's new? (The TU was a bit rundown last we were there, so improvement is A Good Thing).

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-209-139.myvzw.com)
Date: March 23, 2016 12:49PM

Trotsky
marty

Interesting. What's new? (The TU was a bit rundown last we were there, so improvement is A Good Thing).

I'm not sure what is already done but check this.

[www.bizjournals.com]

Posted by: redice (104.129.194.---)
Date: March 23, 2016 12:50PM

Trotsky
By the end of the Albany stretch fans had developed some nice routines and figured out how to make the most of it. It really is the obvious, albeit far less romantic, choice.

I would like them to just pick a site and stop bouncing already. Stability is the most important thing to the habit of casual fans going at all. The hardcores will go even if it's in Sault Ste. Marie.

I always considered myself to be hardcore, after all of those trips to Boston (starting in the mid-1960's). And Albany most years.......

But, when they wandered to AC & LP, they lost me......Undesirable locations thats, unlike Boston, did not make it worth the long drive...

Date: March 23, 2016 12:52PM

Jim Hyla
Trotsky
redice

I don't know why it would be a huge step backwards. You don't think we could get 4-5000 fans, which is what we get now? You don't think we'd have better press than we get from LP? Sure HE would be the main focus, but I still think being a lesser focus in Boston is stronger than the only focus in LP.

I know that if it were in Boston, my wife and I would probably go every year. There's so much to do there, but with LP, once you've been there a few times, well that's it. I'd probably go to the HE games, and my wife would pick up a museum or two. We'd both be happy. I thought about going to LP this year, but my wife wasn't interested. With Boston it would change the calculation completely.

Boston was the perfect ECAC destination when BU and BC were in the league. Without them it's just another rundown eastern city in slush season. Boston = Worcester = New Haven = Albany = Bridgeport. Bleah.

If we want to do a "Destination Location," skip all the small fry and go to NYC. If we want to do a "Barn of Dreams Destination," stay in LP. Otherwise, it's convenience and West Troy.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: March 23, 2016 12:57PM

upprdeck
i know many people who stopped going once it moved out of boston. so much more to do and so much easier to get to and get around in. if want to make it crazy go to toronto or montreal. its a drive but at least it would be different and so many of the canadian fans would love it. why not philly? would that be much different than LP for many?
My contention is that convenience is more important than "craziness" (or event-focus, or whatever people want to call it). Does anyone actually think there are more people willing to make a 4 day weekend vacation out of the ECACs than there are people who'd go if they could cut out of work early on Friday and return Sunday morning and not have to drive 10-12 hours?

Given the choice between losing one or two vacation days driving to Montreal or Philly (or AC, or LP) and watching on TV or internet... TV gets my vote. I just don't want to spend that much time in the car for what could be a single game. The downside risk is too great.

Date: March 23, 2016 01:12PM

Kyle Rose
Given the choice between losing one or two vacation days driving to Montreal or Philly (or AC, or LP) and watching on TV or internet... TV gets my vote. I just don't want to spend that much time in the car for what could be a single game. The downside risk is too great.

The elimination of the consolation does suck, but it aint coming back -- IINM the coaches were for it unanimously, and the ECAC can't decide water is wet unanimously.

It probably ought to have put the nail in the LP coffin. The league just extended, so presumably they aren't worth it to Albany. This year, opposite us the TU hosted the "NYSFSSAA Basketball Tournament of Champions" and, whatever that is, it is (1) misspelled according to the NYSPHSAA homepage, and (2) apparently a better revenue source than we.
Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2016 01:18PM by Trotsky.

Date: March 23, 2016 01:25PM

the HH bball probably brings way more people since its 2-3x as many teams and most of them stay over with games starting so early and late.

Posted by: Weder (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 23, 2016 01:29PM

Not a misspelling; the NYSPHSAA is a member of the other group. The federation events bring together the champions of the NYS, NYC, Catholic school and independent school associations.

Date: March 23, 2016 01:35PM

Weder
Not a misspelling; the NYSPHSAA is a member of the other group. The federation events bring together the champions of the NYS, NYC, Catholic school and independent school associations.

That... actually makes sense. Thanks.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 23, 2016 01:58PM

Trotsky
Jim Hyla
Trotsky
redice

Boston was the perfect ECAC destination when BU and BC were in the league. Without them it's just another rundown eastern city in slush season. Boston = Worcester = New Haven = Albany = Bridgeport. Bleah.

If we want to do a "Destination Location," skip all the small fry and go to NYC. If we want to do a "Barn of Dreams Destination," stay in LP. Otherwise, it's convenience and West Troy.

How about Brooklyn? -- Problem with bball and Islanders conflicts.

Posted by: dbilmes (32.218.122.---)
Date: March 23, 2016 03:08PM

Swampy
As convenient as NY would be for many fans, I imagine it would be a lot more expensive for the ECAC to hold the tournament in NY, not to mention the lack of affordable hotel rooms for out of town fans without any friends/relatives to stay with. Ticket prices would also have to get more expensive, too. The Barclay Center may not be MSG, but it's not cheap, either.

Posted by: RichH (134.223.116.---)
Date: March 23, 2016 04:04PM

Swampy
Trotsky
Jim Hyla
Trotsky
redice

This discussion has to be our version of the "College Hockey Video Game" topic on the USCHO board.

Date: March 23, 2016 04:10PM

RichH
Swampy
Trotsky
Jim Hyla
Trotsky
redice

This discussion has to be our version of the "College Hockey Video Game" topic on the USCHO board.

Gratuitous mentions of Bridgeport, Worcester, Hartford, and Springfield as sites.

Also, Harvard to hockey east.

And look out for Brom next year.

Also, just because they announced an extension with LP doesn't mean they're staying. They made the same announcement in 2002.

Date: March 23, 2016 05:10PM

Kyle Rose
upprdeck
My contention is that convenience is more important than "craziness" (or event-focus, or whatever people want to call it). Does anyone actually think there are more people willing to make a 4 day weekend vacation out of the ECACs than there are people who'd go if they could cut out of work early on Friday and return Sunday morning and not have to drive 10-12 hours?

I'd be much more likely to go to Toronto or Montreal. But then I would have to fly anyway. Most fans who attend don't.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2016 08:13PM

RichH

You recall what the other one was, though, right..?

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.129.41.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: March 24, 2016 04:34AM

Since we're going down the familiar path yet again, I'll put in another facetious plug to have it at the PPL Center here in Allentown.

We've got everything that Albany has: an unexciting industrial town? Check. Nothing to do between games? Check. And none of the New York or Philadelphia fan bases actually have to stay here overnight! Better yet, it's a smaller rink (~8,500) so it won't look as empty as Albany, too.

Just sayin'. deadhorse
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2016 04:36AM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2016 10:26AM

It's just hilarious that the "Cornell championship spikes" are so obvious.

I will add that it's all about ticket price for me. I was in Lake Placid this last weekend with a group of folks. We skied and enjoyed ourselves but didn't attend the games. If the ticket price had been lower, I probably would've gone, but $55 for both sessions or $33 for a single session (Was it? I can't remember, but it was more than half) is too much. I'd rather hit the hot tub and take a relaxed attitude toward the evening.

I think something around $15 per session would engage my casual ECAC fandom.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2016 10:33AM by Scersk '97.

Date: March 24, 2016 10:59AM

they seem to price things in ways that make you wonder. but part of me understands it too.

there is x% that will come because the team they follow is in it. if it was $15 or $40 it really wont make a difference thats very large since travel hotel make a much larger piece of the puzzle.

there is y% that will come on a whim and for them price does matter.

if they sold the tickets for $15 they get a few more of the Y but do they make up the money they lose on the X? i dont think so.

you also have to think that being in LP there are far less of the casual fans showing up on a whim.

Date: March 24, 2016 12:12PM

To be honest they are lucky to have been getting 5k with Cornell, Clarkson and RPI all home. Let's see how a HE tourney with Merrimack, Lowell, UMass, and {PROVICED does.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2016 12:25PM

upprdeck
they seem to price things in ways that make you wonder. but part of me understands it too.

there is x% that will come because the team they follow is in it. if it was $15 or $40 it really wont make a difference thats very large since travel hotel make a much larger piece of the puzzle.

if they sold the tickets for $15 they get a few more of the Y but do they make up the money they lose on the X? i dont think so.

you also have to think that being in LP there are far less of the casual fans showing up on a whim.

Yeah, I understand those types of calculations, but I feel like the same thing is going on here that has gone on with the D-I Lacrosse Championship—ticket prices have risen so much that the casual fan doesn't even think of going. Hell, I'm not even a casual fan, really.

I don't know how the numbers are set, but I feel like there is still money being left "on the table," particularly when you factor in concessions. Whatever happened to "butts in seats?" They're going for the sure money rather than trying to make it an event. It's a choice, I suppose.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2016 12:26PM by Scersk '97.

Posted by: underskill (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 24, 2016 12:46PM

or 4-5k attendance is the new normal for these events, given the way attendance is sliding across college sports in general, and how much easier it is to watch college hockey online and on tv as compared to say 10-15 years ago.

Date: March 24, 2016 12:54PM

underskill
or 4-5k attendance is the new normal for these events, given the way attendance is sliding across college sports in general, and how much easier it is to watch college hockey online and on tv as compared to say 10-15 years ago.
This is probably a big part of it.

Even beyond sports, road tripping seems to have been decreasing as a college activity for about 50 years.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 24, 2016 02:14PM

Scersk '97
upprdeck

Yeah, I understand those types of calculations, but I feel like the same thing is going on here that has gone on with the D-I Lacrosse Championship—ticket prices have risen so much that the casual fan doesn't even think of going. Hell, I'm not even a casual fan, really.

I don't know how the numbers are set, but I feel like there is still money being left "on the table," particularly when you factor in concessions. Whatever happened to "butts in seats?" They're going for the sure money rather than trying to make it an event. It's a choice, I suppose.

The plain fact is that they are into revenue maximization rather than attendance maximization. To do that they have to be able to make sure that the people that will travel do think they can get a $40 ticket for $15 when they get there. This is about money not sport.

Date: March 24, 2016 03:39PM

Towerroad
The plain fact is that they are into revenue maximization rather than attendance maximization. To do that they have to be able to make sure that the people that will travel do think they can get a $40 ticket for $15 when they get there. This is about money not sport.
Seems shortsighted from a revenue POV. Lower prices --> Higher attendance --> Better atmosphere --> Higher attendance --> Higher revenue. Higher prices --> Lower attendance --> Worse atmosphere --> Lower attendance --> Lower revenue.

Date: March 24, 2016 03:41PM

Cut prices. Sell beer. Profit.

Date: March 24, 2016 03:53PM

Trotsky
Towerroad
Seems shortsighted from a revenue POV. Lower prices --> Higher attendance --> Better atmosphere --> Higher attendance --> Higher revenue. Higher prices --> Lower attendance --> Worse atmosphere --> Lower attendance --> Lower revenue.
That's assuming that a better atmosphere does actually produce higher attendance. That may be true for regular season games but I'm not sure it follows for the tournament. Or at least I doubt it has enough of an effect to make it worth lowering prices.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.cws.sco.cisco.com)
Date: March 24, 2016 04:09PM

Does attendance even matter? Isn't everything about TV revenues?

Posted by: underskill (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 24, 2016 04:22PM

what TV revenues could these conferences possibly be getting for college hockey though? especially the ECAC

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 26, 2016 06:53PM

underskill
what TV revenues could these conferences possibly be getting for college hockey though? especially the ECAC

While not true for, say, B1G, I believe that would be a negative number for the ECAC.

Date: May 18, 2016 07:43AM

CHN reports: WCHA Moves Entire Postseason On Campus and from USCHO: WCHA announces entire playoffs, starting with ’16-17 season, will be at campus sites

Date: May 18, 2016 08:36AM

Date: May 28, 2016 07:58AM

The Big Ten is deciding to do the same thing.

Date: May 28, 2016 02:45PM

If they are going to the trouble of campus sites, why not make the SF and F best of 3?

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.sub-70-215-13.myvzw.com)
Date: May 28, 2016 03:15PM

Trotsky
If they are going to the trouble of campus sites, why not make the SF and F best of 3?

TV?

Date: May 29, 2016 04:47PM

Chris '03
Trotsky

TV?

3x0 = 1x0

Date: May 29, 2016 05:41PM

Trotsky
Chris '03
Trotsky

TV?

3x0 = 1x0

Have a hard time thinking BTN won't broadcast final and likely semis too.

Date: October 01, 2016 09:32AM

The Big Ten did it, moving to all campus sites for post-season.

Date: October 01, 2016 10:56PM

Jim Hyla

From the article:

Starting in 2018, the tournament will take place over three weekends, with the 2-7 seeds playing a best-of-3 quarterfinal series on campus of the higher seed.

The Big Ten added a 7th hockey program?

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-214-110.myvzw.com)
Date: October 01, 2016 11:07PM

Trotsky
Jim Hyla

From the article:

Starting in 2018, the tournament will take place over three weekends, with the 2-7 seeds playing a best-of-3 quarterfinal series on campus of the higher seed.

A little further into the article:

Another change in 2017-18 will be the addition of Notre Dame to the conference, becoming the seventh team

Making way for QPuke to be the Best in the L-East?

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 02, 2016 03:34PM

marty
Trotsky
Jim Hyla

From the article:

A little further into the article:

Another change in 2017-18 will be the addition of Notre Dame to the conference, becoming the seventh team

Making way for QPuke to be the Best in the L-East?

They are supposedly not interested. Most recent rumors have centered on Holy Cross.

Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login