Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Alumni in the pros - March 2014

Posted by billhoward 
Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Alumni in the pros - March 2014
Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: March 26, 2014 12:27PM

MattS
Do really feel that one of the non-seniors will jump ship? I personally feel like only Ryan is ready to make a move to the pros. The rest I do not feel that way.

We've had people who weren't ready jump ship before, and if I were a very talented player who, while great, has improved a little less than hoped, I might think that jumping now would be better than waiting another year and seeing my stock drop or something.

But I agree with your point about readiness.

Posted by: MattS (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2014 12:35PM

Dafatone
MattS
Do really feel that one of the non-seniors will jump ship? I personally feel like only Ryan is ready to make a move to the pros. The rest I do not feel that way.

We've had people who weren't ready jump ship before, and if I were a very talented player who, while great, has improved a little less than hoped, I might think that jumping now would be better than waiting another year and seeing my stock drop or something.

But I agree with your point about readiness.

I agree with you about some players leaving for their own reasons which might not have anything to do with readiness. I was just curious about who people thought was possibly ready to move to the pros.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2014 12:36PM by MattS.

Posted by: redice (---.direcpc.com)
Date: March 26, 2014 12:39PM

KeithK
Trotsky
BearLover
scoop85
BearLover
Ferlin Watch 2014: Can we assume that Brian plans to remain with the Big Red given that he has not (yet?) signed a pro contract?

Too soon for that assumption
I knew I was jumping the gun a bit, but it appears as though everyone who signed a contract did so immediately upon their collegiate season ending.
There seem to be two bumps -- one just as the season ends, and then one sometime in late July / easily August --- not sure what that's about, maybe when CBA salaries roll over.
Might be related to the BA. Or it might just reflect two groups of players. One set had their minds made up to sign and were eager to get started as soon as possible. The other set needs time to decide whether to go pro or not. Once you've missed the end of this hockey season there's no reason to sign until it's getting close to training camp.

Academics plays no roll in this decision making process? I don't know any player's academic status. But some of these players turning pro in March must be abandoning or, at least, delaying their degree. For players in that situation, I know they can come back & complete their studies at a later date. But, to abandon that for playing time in the ECHL seems crazy to me. Joe N. going directly to the NHL maybe.... But, Andy to the ECHL?

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 26, 2014 12:43PM

Ferlin and Ryan. I don't think either is ready, but they get press and there's always some degree of flight risk. And as people have said above, we've had players mistime their jumps before (Duffus, JMP, Hynes).
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2014 12:43PM by Trotsky.

Date: March 26, 2014 12:55PM

redice
KeithK
Trotsky
BearLover
scoop85
BearLover
Ferlin Watch 2014: Can we assume that Brian plans to remain with the Big Red given that he has not (yet?) signed a pro contract?

I knew I was jumping the gun a bit, but it appears as though everyone who signed a contract did so immediately upon their collegiate season ending.
There seem to be two bumps -- one just as the season ends, and then one sometime in late July / easily August --- not sure what that's about, maybe when CBA salaries roll over.
Might be related to the BA. Or it might just reflect two groups of players. One set had their minds made up to sign and were eager to get started as soon as possible. The other set needs time to decide whether to go pro or not. Once you've missed the end of this hockey season there's no reason to sign until it's getting close to training camp.

Academics plays no roll in this decision making process? I don't know any player's academic status. But some of these players turning pro in March must be abandoning or, at least, delaying their degree. For players in that situation, I know they can come back & complete their studies at a later date. But, to abandon that for playing time in the ECHL seems crazy to me. Joe N. going directly to the NHL maybe.... But, Andy to the ECHL?

If I was going to make a move like Andy did. My thought process would be that Cornell is going to be around for years to come and I can get my degree then, but a possible pro career might be a now or never type of thing.

I'm just speculating on how one comes to the decision he did.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2014 12:55PM by MattS.

Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2014 12:56PM

redice
KeithK
Trotsky
BearLover
scoop85
BearLover

Cornell's spring break starts this coming Saturday (3/29), classes resume on Monday, 4/7. The Everblades' regular season ends on April 12. Andy (ECAC Hockey's Scholar-Athlete of the Year) is smart enough to figure out how to miss a couple of weeks of classes and still graduate.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 26, 2014 01:11PM

MattS
It's not about being ready. It's about what gives the player the best chance to have a career in the NHL (plus more money now).
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2014 01:12PM by BearLover.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 26, 2014 01:42PM

BearLover
MattS
It's not about being ready. It's about what gives the player the best chance to have a career in the NHL (plus more money now).
NHL teams always think that a kid is better off from a development standpoint being in the minor leagues and focusing 100% on hockey. Making your perspective employers happy gives at least a little leg up in making it.

(The money doesn't hurt either.)

Posted by: ugarte (207.239.110.---)
Date: March 26, 2014 03:58PM

Staying in school for a diploma or a class when someone is offering you pro-athlete money to leave is evidence of a brain injury.

Posted by: redice (---.direcpc.com)
Date: March 26, 2014 04:09PM

ACM
redice
KeithK
Trotsky
BearLover
scoop85
BearLover

Cornell's spring break starts this coming Saturday (3/29), classes resume on Monday, 4/7. The Everblades' regular season ends on April 12. Andy (ECAC Hockey's Scholar-Athlete of the Year) is smart enough to figure out how to miss a couple of weeks of classes and still graduate.

That's a good plan unless the Everblades go deep in the playoffs (which they often do). If they do, Andy won't see campus again until sometime in mid-to-late May. Now, that's a problem. But, it's his problem and he's been the model student-athelete. I'm betting he has a contingency plan(s) ;-)

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2014 04:12PM

ugarte
Staying in school for a diploma or a class when someone is offering you pro-athlete money to leave is evidence of a brain injury.
For a guy like Ryan Haggerty making $925k, sure. The ECHL salary cap is $12,000 per week, so Iles is maybe going to make a couple thousand dollars before the end of the season.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2014 05:37PM

Chris '03
KeithK
Trotsky
BearLover
scoop85
BearLover

I think the summer signings probably have a lot to do with summer prospect camps and what players are told/believe about their place in the organization.

IIRC, Riley Nash left pretty late in the summer after his Junior year.

Date: March 27, 2014 10:00AM

Josh '99
ugarte
For a guy like Ryan Haggerty making $925k, sure. The ECHL salary cap is $12,000 per week, so Iles is maybe going to make a couple thousand dollars before the end of the season.
And he can take Incompletes and finish his degree over the summer. The ECHL is effectively an internship more relevant to the future he wants for himself than getting his final classes sewn up this Spring.

Date: March 27, 2014 10:13AM

Date: March 27, 2014 10:44AM

But doesn't look quite so bad after watching the highlights and see how he was hung out to dry on at least 2 of the goals.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2014 11:34AM

ugarte
Josh '99
ugarte
And he can take Incompletes and finish his degree over the summer. The ECHL is effectively an internship more relevant to the future he wants for himself than getting his final classes sewn up this Spring.
Sure, I agree with you that it's effectively a valuable internship, but that's different from it being about "pro-athlete money".

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 27, 2014 12:00PM

He must have been in shock when his team scored 5 goals; that cuts reaction time.

Posted by: sah67 (---.static.athn.ga.charter.com)
Date: March 29, 2014 10:25AM

Scrivens had another game-saving performance last night, stopping 48 of 51 Anaheim shots and surviving a bit of 3-on-3 in OT where Edmonton got the 4-3 win.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: April 01, 2014 12:01AM

Colin Greening has been out of the Ottawa line-up with a "lower body thing". However, that hasn't stopped him from showing why he won the Lowe's Senior CLASS award. He must of minored in Geography ;-).

Posted by: sah67 (---.ornith.cornell.edu)
Date: April 01, 2014 09:27AM

Moulson had the game-tying goal in Minnesota's 3-2 win over LA last night. Riley Nash had a huge amount of ice time last night (over 17 minutes), and was Carolina's first choice in the shootout, but failed to convert in a 2-1 loss to Ottawa.

Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login