Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Alumni in the pros - March 2014

Posted by billhoward 
Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Alumni in the pros - March 2014
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2014 01:31AM

Colin Greening gets the insurance goal (his sixth of the year) in Ottawa's 4-2 stadium series win Sunday at Vancouver. [www.reuters.com] Drew 54,194 and because of rain / light snow the stadium roof was kept closed. Nothing like Saturday's game at Soldiers Field, Black Hawks - Penguins, played in a serious snowfall.

Re: Alumni in the pros - March 2014
Posted by: sah67 (---.ornith.cornell.edu)
Date: March 03, 2014 10:00AM

Riley Nash had an assist in Carolina's 5-3 loss to Anaheim.

Posted by: Ronald '09 (---.google.com)
Date: March 03, 2014 12:00PM

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 03, 2014 03:35PM

Date: March 05, 2014 10:00AM

Moulson has to move today..........Kings? Blues make another deal in a Cup or bust gamble?

He's not at the Sabres morning skate today.

Posted by: RichH (134.223.230.---)
Date: March 05, 2014 11:55AM

RatushnyFan
Moulson has to move today..........Kings? Blues make another deal in a Cup or bust gamble?

He's not at the Sabres morning skate today.

Oh heck, as a sorrowful Sabres fan, I'll join in the "breathless trade deadline update" game:

Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: March 05, 2014 12:03PM

Not our alum, and to play the "oh my god, I'm so old" game, Martin St. Louis is reported to be taking his act to Broadway. I remember him being so quick, stopping on dimes, and easy to find on the ice (at least from the stands, defensemen would probably disagree).

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 05, 2014 01:24PM

RatushnyFan
Moulson has to move today..........Kings?
Guess not. Kings just got Gaborik.

Posted by: MattS (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 05, 2014 02:31PM

Trotsky
RatushnyFan
Moulson has to move today..........Kings?
Guess not. Kings just got Gaborik.

Sounding like Minnesota.

Re: Alumni in the pros - March 2014 - alumni in the stands
Date: March 05, 2014 02:31PM

Went to see Martin Brodeur's maybe last game as a Devil (and see Elias back-to-the-net backhand goal that made ESPN highlights. Guy in front of me turned around, he was wearing a Cornell Hockey sweatshirt. I said hello, asked him when he was graduated from Cornell, did he watch the Harvard game Saturday, and he said, "I went to Ithaca College. I just like the sweatshirt." That's nice.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 05, 2014 02:55PM

Rita
Not our alum, and to play the "oh my god, I'm so old" game, Martin St. Louis is reported to be taking his act to Broadway. I remember him being so quick, stopping on dimes, and easy to find on the ice (at least from the stands, defensemen would probably disagree).

TSN.ca says it's St. Louis for Callahan, a 1st Rd 2015 pick and a conditional 2014 2nd round pick.

Posted by: Ronald '09 (---.sub-70-192-74.myvzw.com)
Date: March 05, 2014 03:11PM

Posted by: Dafatone (---.d.usd.edu)
Date: March 05, 2014 04:26PM

So not only do my Penguins not add Moulson, but they added Lee Stempniak. Lee Goddamned Stempniak!

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 05, 2014 04:46PM

Dafatone
So not only do my Penguins not add Moulson, but they added Lee Stempniak. Lee Goddamned Stempniak!
Your team was already full of hacks from schools Cornell fans don't like (including Dartmouth), what's one more? :-}

Date: March 05, 2014 04:49PM

Josh '99
Dafatone
Your team was already full of hacks from schools Cornell fans don't like (including Dartmouth), what's one more? :-}

Tanner Glass is the only one from once I started following Cornell hockey on (I think). Craig Adams was before my time, and Lovejoy's gone. This makes two. Unless I'm missing someone.

Augh.

Date: March 05, 2014 04:57PM

Dafatone
Josh '99
Dafatone

Tanner Glass is the only one from once I started following Cornell hockey on (I think). Craig Adams was before my time, and Lovejoy's gone. This makes two. Unless I'm missing someone.

Augh.
I guess it depends where you draw the line on schools we don't like. You've got some BC guys there too.

Posted by: Swampy (131.128.163.---)
Date: March 05, 2014 05:42PM

Josh '99
Dafatone
Josh '99
Dafatone

Augh.
I guess it depends where you draw the line on schools we don't like. You've got some BC guys there too.

What schools DO we like? I guess Wisconsin would be OK.

Date: March 05, 2014 07:55PM

Swampy
Josh '99
Dafatone
Josh '99
Dafatone

Augh.

What schools DO we like? I guess Wisconsin would be OK.

A friend of mine has wondered this, since every time I mention an NHL player I know from college, it's in a disparaging light.

I think I like Clarkson, as far as ECAC teams go. RPI's alright. Of the Ivies, I guess Brown's my 2nd favorite. More accurate to say fifth least favorite, though.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2014 05:24AM

Dafatone
Of the Ivies, I guess Brown's my 2nd favorite. More accurate to say fifth least favorite, though.
I have no problem with Columbia, the "shitty Ivy." Their students are probably the most insufferably "Urban Bâby," but the institution itself is a nice idea, if relocated to say Denver or Atlanta.

Brown itself is pretty ridiculous -- Reed College with a larger endowment -- but it can stay for the H. P. Lovecraft allure.

Dartmouth is fun for the comic relief.

Penn is basically Cornell transplanted to Detroit.

HYP can die in a fire.

Date: March 06, 2014 07:27AM

Hockey schools I dislike: Sucks, Minnesota, BU. Especially Sucks. That's personal.

Hockey schools I respect: NoDak, Wisconsin, UNH

Regarding other Ivies, I'll tease someone or boo when I hear someone went to another Ivy school. Especially with my sister, who went to Penn. But it's all in fun.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: March 06, 2014 07:36AM

Not to pick on anyone's post in particular, but for a long time I've wondered why people dislike other schools, teams, etc. I mean when we are playing them, I go for it, but before and after, why do I, or anyone, need to dislike them? I think it's funny to see fish on the ice, but should I hate, despise, dislike (you pick the word) Harvard so much, that if one of their players goes to an NHL team, I need to dislike that team? I live in Syracuse, and when we play them I surely want to beat them, but afterwards, do I have to have bad feelings about them? I hate the idea of big time NCAA athletics, but I don't hate the school, just because they play within the system. When my daughter went to pick a college, she chose SU, as they have one of the most varied language departments that she saw, more than CU, it seemed. Like many, and maybe most, other students, she could care less about sports and whether SU wins or loses. Are we supposed to dislike all students who go to one of the schools we dislike?

I loved going to Boston for the ECACs in the 60s and 70s. You'd come knowing that most other fans were going to cheer against you, as much or more than they were cheering for another school. It was great when, after all that, you could come out a winner. But I still want to go out and have fun with them afterwards. One of the best things about going to away games with a Lodboa jersey on, is to have other schools fans come up and talk about how good he and those teams were. How much they enjoyed the games, even when they lost.

Maybe I've grown soft in my old age, and you know I'll cheer vociferously when we're on the ice, but afterwards, I'd rather have a beer and talk good hockey.

Date: March 06, 2014 07:57AM

I went to Michigan for grad school and really liked the university and the hockey team. They copied our cheers but Yost was a nice environment when I went there and half the team made it to the NHL.

What about Union? They've built up quite a program in my view. Not sure what the fan base is like. Ylae is also coming around, no? Sure, they're a rival, but they drawing some excellent recruits. I'm not a fan of Quinnipiac's campus environment although they have some nice players.

Posted by: marty (---.albyny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 06, 2014 07:59AM

Jim Hyla
Not to pick on anyone's post in particular, but for a long time I've wondered why people dislike other schools, teams, etc. I mean when we are playing them, I go for it, but before and after, why do I, or anyone, need to dislike them?

Maybe I've grown soft in my old age, and you know I'll cheer vociferously when we're on the ice, but afterwards, I'd rather have a beer and talk good hockey.

Not soft but maybe wise. My son is an Eli and hates Harvard during the games and especially during "The Game" but long ago I realized it didn't translate to hatred after the games, He was part of the Yale Glee Club and the schools did concerts together and put each other up (provided dormitory arrangements) when hosting the other club on campus. Their songs show funny ridicule of Harvard and the history of Yale being formed as a break away from that school in Cambridge are known well.

You may truly hate the other team but you can root against them without hating the individuals or the school.

(Now Union fans and players are excepted in this conversation ;-) )

Date: March 06, 2014 09:06AM

Trotsky
<meow> Excellent line even if Detroit is a tragedy (built on hubris and hydrocarbons). Reminiscent of "New Haven minus Yale equals Bridgeport."

Date: March 06, 2014 09:50AM

billhoward
Reminiscent of "New Haven minus Yale equals Bridgeport."
Never heard this before. That's just cold, man. :-O

Date: March 06, 2014 09:55AM

Jim Hyla
Not to pick on anyone's post in particular, but for a long time I've wondered why people dislike other schools, teams, etc. I mean when we are playing them, I go for it, but before and after, why do I, or anyone, need to dislike them?
Disliking schools for the type of student they attract and/or what they stand for is fine. I doubt anybody above 35 degrees North or an IQ of 90 (but I repeat myself) actually hates a school based solely on a sports rivalry.

Posted by: marty (---.albyny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 06, 2014 10:25AM

billhoward
Trotsky
<meow> Excellent line even if Detroit is a tragedy (built on hubris and hydrocarbons). Reminiscent of "New Haven minus Yale equals Bridgeport."

And yet Bridgeport equals the only city that draws fans for hockey regionals.

Date: March 06, 2014 11:03AM

Trotsky
Jim Hyla
Disliking schools for the type of student they attract and/or what they stand for is fine. I doubt anybody above 35 degrees North or an IQ of 90 (but I repeat myself) actually hates a school based solely on a sports rivalry.
This sounds about right. "Don't like" in my original post really should be in air quotes. I guess there are a couple of different categories. There are a few individuals I genuinely dislike for thuggery-related reasons (Bob Gaudet, Willie Mitchell, Mark Morris, Brooks Orpik come to mind) or for being obnoxious (Gaudet again, Tim Thomas, Chris Kunitz). There are guys I "hate" but don't really hate for playing well against Cornell (Dominic Moore, recent Yale teams). But, by and large any antipathy for players or teams or schools as a whole is limited to during the games (or the shitshow that is the USCHO Fan Forum at NCAA Tournament time); I have friends and friendly coworkers from all kinds of schools I "don't like". I really was just giving Dafatone a hard time over all the non-Cornell former NCAA guys on the Pens.

Date: March 06, 2014 11:09AM

Trotsky
You might have to update this; West Philly has come a long way over the past ~20 years.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: March 06, 2014 11:43AM

Trotsky
Jim Hyla

I'm pretty sure I hate Dartmouth because of Bob Gaudet. Well, Gaudet, the other goons, the connection between their frat behavior and wall street that Rolling Stone pointed out... but mostly Gaudet.

North Dakota's high up on my hate list because of Ralph Engelstad. They can come off the list as soon as they change their logo/mascot.

I guess it depends on what you mean by hate. The hate doesn't really carry over to non-sports; I wouldn't hold it against someone that they went to Dartmouth or anything like that. I hate Duke basketball and Duke is my cousin's first choice, last I checked. If he winds up there, it wouldn't change my opinion of him.

I'd still give him shit for it though, because come on.

Date: March 06, 2014 11:46AM

Ok, let me clarify. I hate Minnesota's fans because of how they treated us at Mariucci. Some of that spills over to their players.

Re Sucks: I have a cousin who used to be an Associate Professor in the Harvard Business School. She was denied tenure several times when other less qualified male colleagues were given tenure. She sued the university for gender bias. Right after that, there was a very convenient fire in the records departent. So as I said, Harvard is personal.

Date: March 06, 2014 12:00PM

Josh '99
But, by and large any antipathy for players or teams or schools as a whole is limited to during the games (or the shitshow that is the USCHO Fan Forum at NCAA Tournament time); I have friends and friendly coworkers from all kinds of schools I "don't like".

Of course. The solution for undergrad bias is grad school. This is also when you figure out that comparing schools on any granularity larger than department is bullshit -- the larger "university" container is just a tax scam.

As far as hate within the sport, it ends at the buzzer. One of the coolest things about Lake Placid, which an entire new generation of ECAC fans is about to experience, is hanging out with fans of all teams (which in practice usually comes down to the North Country plus whoever finished first that year) at the restaurants and bars, trading good-natured ribbing, and enjoying pan-conference hockey solidarity. It works best in LP because the fans take over the entire town for the weekend, unlike Boston or Albany where they dispersed or Atlantic City where the surroundings were so depressing everybody just stayed in their rooms making calls to hookers or suicide hot lines.

Date: March 06, 2014 12:13PM

Trotsky
Josh '99
But, by and large any antipathy for players or teams or schools as a whole is limited to during the games (or the shitshow that is the USCHO Fan Forum at NCAA Tournament time); I have friends and friendly coworkers from all kinds of schools I "don't like".

Of course. The solution for undergrad bias is grad school. This is also when you figure out that comparing schools on any granularity larger than department is bullshit -- the larger "university" container is just a tax scam.

As far as hate within the sport, it ends at the buzzer. One of the coolest things about Lake Placid, which an entire new generation of ECAC fans is about to experience, is hanging out with fans of all teams (which in practice usually comes down to the North Country plus whoever finished first that year) at the restaurants and bars, trading good-natured ribbing, and enjoying pan-conference hockey solidarity. It works best in LP because the fans take over the entire town for the weekend, unlike Boston or Albany where they dispersed or Atlantic City where the surroundings were so depressing everybody just stayed in their rooms making calls to hookers or suicide hot lines.
Something you want to tell the group, Greg?

Posted by: Robb (134.223.230.---)
Date: March 06, 2014 01:30PM

In the context of universities, I do use the term "hate," but when I use it, all it actually means is that I actively root against said school in every sporting contest known to man, but that I can do it while simultaneously enjoying good times and sporting-fan comraderie with students and alums from those schools. Watching the game is actually most fun when you do it in the componay of fans from a "hated" rival. Would you really prefer Lynah *without* section O? Is it more fun when Section O is full of actively participating opposing fans, or when townies manage to snap up all the tickets returned by the opposing school?

I can't think of a single university that I would prefer that they just dropped off the map, nor would I ever wish bad things on any individual just because they were associated with a particular school.

Date: March 06, 2014 01:38PM

Robb
I can't think of a single university that I would prefer that they just dropped off the map

Let me help you out.

Posted by: Robb (134.223.230.---)
Date: March 06, 2014 02:05PM

Trotsky
Robb
I can't think of a single university that I would prefer that they just dropped off the map

Let me help you out.
Heh. Forgot those guys - you got me.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 06, 2014 04:06PM

Robb
In the context of universities, I do use the term "hate," but when I use it, all it actually means is that I actively root against said school in every sporting contest known to man, but that I can do it while simultaneously enjoying good times and sporting-fan comraderie with students and alums from those schools.
The emotional content of sports is much more intense and enjoyable when you have a team that you love and other teams to hate. Of course it's "hate" in quotes. In the grand scheme of things sports doesn't mean anything so your "hatred" shouldn't really mean anything either, other than to enhance an enjoyable pastime. Hopefully there's no one in or around Lynah who hates the other guy the way those two assholes in LA a couple years ago hate Giant fans. If there are I'll be the first to point them out to the authorities.

Posted by: Swampy (131.128.163.---)
Date: March 06, 2014 04:24PM

Robb
Trotsky
Robb

Let me help you out.
Heh. Forgot those guys - you got me.

Well, even more than those guys, I think one can see corruption in the entire enterprise of higher education today. This doesn't necessarily imply hating an institution or its students per se, but it's easy to hate the administration and the cynical culture that dominates and has dominated for several decades now.

Start with big-time college athletics. As strictly athletic endeavors, I admire teams like Kentucky basketball or Alabama football. But attach them to universities, look at how they use young kids, etc., and they become rather disgusting. Entire books have been written about the corruption associated with big-time college athletics.

Now step back and look at higher education as a whole. Schematically there are two kinds of corruption. One is among the top-tier schools, where academic integrity plays a distant second fiddle to money. Look at the Amazon page for Jennifer Washburn's University Inc. and the list of suggested books on that page, and you will see literally dozens of books about this theme.

The second is among low-tier schools, where enrollment drives the budget and students are admitted if they can walk and chew gum. Because the budget, and occasionally legislative good will, depend on "retention," students at these schools often can pass if they just show up to class. The subject matter taught in many classes in these schools is at a lower intellectual level than that taught in many decent high-school courses.

The sad fact is that once past perhaps the top 50 institutions, you get to factory schools that cheat their students and cheat society by striving to do little else but put butts in seats. For references, Google "low standards in higher education." This article summarizes some of the main trends. We're talking fundamental knowledge and skills here. I've known second-graders who write better than some graduates of these schools. The fact that such schools take students' money and waste their time is, IMHO, despicable. This is not to say that some students can't get a good education at such schools; it's just that doing so is almost an accident.

Two of the most viral dummies in recent memory, Caitlin Upton and Marissa Powell, both attended college (Appalachian State and Westminster College, respectively). Now eye candy aside, you can say they both flubbed their answers because of the big spotlight of being in a major beauty competition. But these were college students, not high-school dropouts. They're supposed to be educated people, and their answers should have at least been answers, reasonable or not. And if men participated in similar competitions, I'd wager it wouldn't be difficult to find college men similarly clueless about what a good answer even looks like. IMHO, this reflects on the sham that college education has become in too many institutions.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2014 04:27PM by Swampy.

Date: March 06, 2014 06:47PM

Josh '99
Trotsky
You might have to update this; West Philly has come a long way over the past ~20 years.
Detroit has gone a long way in 20 years. It is not a joke that Detroit will need to deflate its total square miles, tear up blocks, even neighborhoods, because a bankrupt city can't plow, police, and light streets where there's one resident.

Posted by: dag14 (209.152.196.---)
Date: March 07, 2014 01:17AM

This thread hijack is no fun. Can we get back to talking about our actual alums who are actually playing pro hockey?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.com)
Date: March 07, 2014 04:21AM

dag14
This thread hijack is no fun. Can we get back to talking about our actual alums who are actually playing pro hockey?
+1

Posted by: jeff '84 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 07, 2014 06:43AM

Al DeFlorio
dag14
+1
Like Scrivens? 32 saves in 3-2 win over Isles, including a Grabner breakaway in last minute of regulation. 3rd star.

Date: March 07, 2014 08:12AM

Are people assuming Moulson will just move again after this year when Minny signs Vanek in the off-season?

Date: March 07, 2014 10:01AM

I think he's a rental in MN if Vanek wants to be there. GMs usually go for top-end skill versus grit/determination/going to those dirty goal spots when they have a choice.

I was actually wondering if Moulson would head back to the Islanders to play with his buddy Tavares. Seemingly Garth Snow closed that door, I heard him "defend" the Vanek trade on the NHL radio network yesterday, one of the points he made is that they decided that they weren't going to re-sign Moulson. It was a little unclear if he was saying that the Islanders didn't want him or if they had discussions and couldn't work out the economics. I would assume the latter given his productivity.

I think a lot of teams will want him and he'll be able to land on a good team as a top 6 forward.

Date: March 07, 2014 10:14AM

RatushnyFan
I think he's a rental in MN if Vanek wants to be there. GMs usually go for top-end skill versus grit/determination/going to those dirty goal spots when they have a choice.

I was actually wondering if Moulson would head back to the Islanders to play with his buddy Tavares. Seemingly Garth Snow closed that door, I heard him "defend" the Vanek trade on the NHL radio network yesterday, one of the points he made is that they decided that they weren't going to re-sign Moulson. It was a little unclear if he was saying that the Islanders didn't want him or if they had discussions and couldn't work out the economics. I would assume the latter given his productivity.

I think a lot of teams will want him and he'll be able to land on a good team as a top 6 forward.
I'd love him back with the Iles, after Wang sends Snow back to Orono in a wooden box (assuming Wang cares at all now that the Lighthouse development deal is dead. I don't see any reason why he's holding onto the franchise at this point -- I guess he just can't find a buyer).

I heard Snow's little insert statement about the team "not being able" to sign Moulson in the off-season and chalked it up to a desperate attempt to save his job with BS. Same goes with his justification for making up the picks lost in the Moulson deal in the AMac deal. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. "Honey, I know I blew 250k at the track, but it's OK, I made it back up by selling the house, so we're even!"
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2014 10:17AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.c3-0.smr-ubr2.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 07, 2014 11:37AM

Trotsky
I heard Snow's little insert statement about the team "not being able" to sign Moulson in the off-season and chalked it up to a desperate attempt to save his job with BS. Same goes with his justification for making up the picks lost in the Moulson deal in the AMac deal. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. "Honey, I know I blew 250k at the track, but it's OK, I made it back up by selling the house, so we're even!"
Now I know what I sound like when I'm being a bitter Jets fan.

Not that this new-found awareness will change my behavior or anything; it's just interesting to know.

Date: March 07, 2014 12:31PM

Kyle Rose
Trotsky

Not that this new-found awareness will change my behavior or anything; it's just interesting to know.
It is possible to transcend the bitterness of being a Jets fan. I have done it. Of course, I basically don't watch footbal anymore.

Date: March 07, 2014 12:48PM

Kyle Rose
Trotsky
No Isles fan who saw 1975-85 is bitter. I didn't realize at the time I'd be paying off that debt for the rest of my NHL-watching life, but it's a deal I'd gladly accept again. Not to mention that being an Isles fan in the 70's is what made me a Cornell hockey fan.

The Isles could go 30 more years of never winning a playoff series and I'd still be way ahead.

Occasionally irritated. But never, ever bitter.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2014 12:50PM by Trotsky.

Date: March 07, 2014 01:53PM

Trotsky
RatushnyFan

I'd love him back with the Iles, after Wang sends Snow back to Orono in a wooden box ...
Heh.

Date: March 07, 2014 03:01PM

Josh '99
Trotsky
RatushnyFan

I'd love him back with the Iles, after Wang sends Snow back to Orono in a wooden box ...
Heh.

Nice!

I think that Moulson is at a crossroads so to speak. If he wants a Cup then he's got to move somewhere besides the Isles. But if he wants to be a scoring machine (for his talent level) then heading back to the Isles with Tavaras make sense. And if he wants to be paid ridiculous amounts of money then start sucking up to Sather!! (said as a Rangers fan)

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (24.229.69.---)
Date: March 08, 2014 04:04PM

Trotsky
Kyle Rose
Trotsky
No Isles fan who saw 1975-85 is bitter. I didn't realize at the time I'd be paying off that debt for the rest of my NHL-watching life, but it's a deal I'd gladly accept again. Not to mention that being an Isles fan in the 70's is what made me a Cornell hockey fan.

The Isles could go 30 more years of never winning a playoff series and I'd still be way ahead.

Occasionally irritated. But never, ever bitter.

And for the record, it was putting up with JAP Islander fans during my four years at Cornell which helped turn me into a Flyers fan. I was a Bruins fan up until I got to Cornell.

It's all your fault! It's all your fault! It's all your fault! It's all your fault!

Date: March 08, 2014 06:25PM

It's not Lynah, but still pretty good.

Former Calgary Flames great Joe Nieuwendyk, who won a Stanley Cup there in 1989, had his No. 25 raised to the rafters at the Scotiabank Saddledome on Friday night.

[prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com]

Re: Alumni in the pros - 2nd half March & April
Date: March 08, 2014 06:35PM

Maybe we should declare March AITP wasted and start early on April. Like Vietnam, declare victory, get the hell out. You see seven new posts in three hours and think Moulson got a hat trick or Scrivens had another 60-save shutout. But nooo.

Re: Alumni in the pros - 2nd half March & April
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 08, 2014 07:34PM

billhoward
Maybe we should declare March AITP wasted and start early on April. Like Vietnam, declare victory, get the hell out. You see seven new posts in three hours and think Moulson got a hat trick or Scrivens had another 60-save shutout. But nooo.

...and... this was supposed to help the situation somehow?

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: nshapiro (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 09, 2014 08:31PM

The only school I really hate is Duke, and that is because of the institutional response to the Lax scandal - after unilaterally suspending the team's season, and then realizing that the lax boys had not been guilty of gang rape, just of hiring strippers, underage drinking etc... they petition the NCAA to get another year of eligibility for those poor boys that were wrongly accused. It makes me sick.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.c3-0.smr-ubr2.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 09, 2014 08:38PM

nshapiro
just of hiring strippers, underage drinking etc...
The horror! The horror! Before long they'll have progressed onto marijuana, which we know leads straight to premarital sex.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2014 09:54PM

Kyle Rose
nshapiro
just of hiring strippers, underage drinking etc...
The horror! The horror! Before long they'll have progressed onto marijuana, which we know leads straight to premarital sex.

In the old days it would have led to "The Clover Club".

Date: March 09, 2014 11:24PM

If you want to hate Duke TA at Duke for a year. My best friend from HS was in the Duke doctoral program and he had to deal with those little monsters. I've never heard him say anything mean about anybody except those kids, who he was ready to drop into a crevasse.

I had exactly the same reaction at Stanford. Perfect teeth, nice clothes, well-spoken, and not an inkling of an original thought or a spark of sincere curiosity -- or sincere anything -- among any of the little bastids.

Posted by: sah67 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2014 11:39PM

Moulson scored his first goal with Minnesota tonight, but the Wild fell to St. Louis in a shootout.

Scrivens was faced with yet another barrage of shots, stopping 46 of 50 in a 4-2 loss to the Kings.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.customer.alter.net)
Date: March 10, 2014 10:49AM

Trotsky
If you want to hate Duke TA at Duke for a year. My best friend from HS was in the Duke doctoral program and he had to deal with those little monsters. I've never heard him say anything mean about anybody except those kids, who he was ready to drop into a crevasse.

I had exactly the same reaction at Stanford. Perfect teeth, nice clothes, well-spoken, and not an inkling of an original thought or a spark of sincere curiosity -- or sincere anything -- among any of the little bastids.
I have a hard time believing the culture at any of these schools is substantially different from any of the others. Maybe Cornell is an exception because it has a much broader base (given that most of these other elite schools are at most Arts + Engineering), but I knew plenty of well-spoken, self-important, utterly oblivious douchebags with perfect teeth and hair during my time on the hill.

Re: Duke specifically, let's not forget that as horrible as the Duke lacrosse players obviously were ("Only someone as ugly as I am could love me", etc., etc.), that they were wrongly accused and the victims of a witch hunt by an all-too-credulous prosecutor looking to make a name for himself by taking down the big bad racist white boys. (In a way, he did make a name for himself: "mud".)

Date: March 10, 2014 12:36PM

Kyle Rose
Trotsky

I have a hard time believing the culture at any of these schools is substantially different from any of the others. Maybe Cornell is an exception because it has a much broader base (given that most of these other elite schools are at most Arts + Engineering), but I knew plenty of well-spoken, self-important, utterly oblivious douchebags with perfect teeth and hair during my time on the hill.
The difference is that such douchebags are sometimes harder to see when you're mixed in among them and trying to hook up with half of them.

Date: March 10, 2014 01:34PM

Kyle Rose
I have a hard time believing the culture at any of these schools is substantially different from any of the others

There are differences. Stanford specifically attracts the sort of Randian fucktard who ten seconds' exposure to actual humans renders moot. Their problem is they never meet useful people, which explains their conveyerbelt to biz school. 1 in 10 might amount to something if they got outside their bubble. These tots aren't stupid; they're just hot-house flowers.

DOOK has its own ridiculousness, but it's the regional stupidity of entitled children who have never had to reconcile that there are other people in the world who don't just despise their worldview, but have left it as a dead letter since adolescence (very similar in that regard to NYC Cornellians). Having dealt with lots of Dookies, it's actually easier for them to break their programming than it is the Ivy princess who has read one book.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2014 01:36PM by Trotsky.

Date: March 10, 2014 01:39PM

KeithK
Kyle Rose
Trotsky

The difference is that such douchebags are sometimes harder to see when you're mixed in among them and trying to hook up with half of them.

There's nothing wrong with fucking your way through the Five Towns. A few of them might actually be fun. Just don't marry them. Leave them for the You Be Mom set. You'll both be a lot happier.

Posted by: ugarte (207.239.110.---)
Date: March 10, 2014 02:14PM

oh good more sociology from your drunk uncle who is just brimmin' with opinions

Date: March 10, 2014 03:26PM

Trotsky
Kyle Rose
I have a hard time believing the culture at any of these schools is substantially different from any of the others

There are differences. Stanford specifically attracts the sort of Randian fucktard who ten seconds' exposure to actual humans renders moot. Their problem is they never meet useful people, which explains their conveyerbelt to biz school. 1 in 10 might amount to something if they got outside their bubble. These tots aren't stupid; they're just hot-house flowers.

DOOK has its own ridiculousness, but it's the regional stupidity of entitled children who have never had to reconcile that there are other people in the world who don't just despise their worldview, but have left it as a dead letter since adolescence (very similar in that regard to NYC Cornellians). Having dealt with lots of Dookies, it's actually easier for them to break their programming than it is the Ivy princess who has read one book.
Do you ever get tired of making sweeping generalizations?

Date: March 10, 2014 04:02PM

Trotsky
Kyle Rose

Wow, Trots. Who shit in your cornflakes?

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.customer.alter.net)
Date: March 10, 2014 04:14PM

Trotsky
Kyle Rose

Date: March 10, 2014 06:32PM

ugarte
oh good more sociology from your drunk uncle who is just brimmin' with opinions
Whether or not I agree with him (and it's rare when we get off onto tangents) at least Greg is entertaining.

Which is important since he's got twice as many posts as anyone else here.

Date: March 11, 2014 10:15AM

KeithK
Whether or not I agree with him (and it's rare when we get off onto tangents) at least Greg is entertaining.

"That passed the time."

"It would have passed anyway."

"But not as quickly."

Date: March 13, 2014 06:17AM

Cornflakes? He thought it was a jigsaw puzzle.

Date: March 13, 2014 07:40AM

Trotsky
KeithK

"That passed the time."

"It would have passed anyway."

"But not as quickly."

Had to look that one up blush

"Waiting for Godot" huh? You really are a man for all seasons.

Posted by: sah67 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2014 08:39PM

Riley Nash has been getting some big minutes in Carolina's last few games and has replaced Alex Semin on the #1 PP unit with the Staal brothers. He's had a couple good scoring chances so far against Buffalo tonight.

Date: March 16, 2014 05:53PM

Edmonton beats Carolina 2-1 this afternoon; 29 saves for Scriven, Nash was -1 with 13 mins TOI.

Date: March 16, 2014 05:55PM

Ben Scrivens takes second star in Oilers 2-1 win over Hurricanes (29 saves).

Date: March 18, 2014 08:33PM

Moulson gets his 19th tonight ...... Vs. his former Islander teammates.

Date: March 18, 2014 10:01PM

jeff '84
Moulson gets his 19th tonight ...... Vs. his former Islander teammates.

And #20.

Date: March 19, 2014 11:47AM

Moulson was serenaded by Islander fans during the game, nice to see that he was appreciated. He had some comments on his trade from the Islanders as well. Moulson comments

Nash had 18:30 of ice time last night on 25 shifts - this is the most ice he's seen this year. Picked up an assist playing the right point on the power play. He's consistently getting shots on net every game since the Olympic break ended. His faceoff performance is sporadic at best game to game and only 44% for the season. The trade deadline has passed and he has another year on his contract so his extra ice time and PP time seemingly indicates that he's rising somewhat on the depth chart (versus testing him to see if he's worthy of an extension).

Posted by: gomestar (192.193.171.---)
Date: March 20, 2014 11:30AM

i can't access twitter on my work computer, but this tweet from TSNquizmaster:

"Since acquiring Srivens, Oilers have gone from NHL's worst team save percentage (.889 Games 1-49) to the NHL's best team save percentage (.930 games 50-70)"

Date: March 20, 2014 02:08PM

gomestar
i can't access twitter on my work computer, but this tweet from TSNquizmaster:

"Since acquiring Srivens, Oilers have gone from NHL's worst team save percentage (.889 Games 1-49) to the NHL's best team save percentage (.930 games 50-70)"
Acquiring a good goalie can be part of The System, right?

Date: March 20, 2014 02:56PM

List of Cornellians who have been on NHL rosters this year. Did I leave out anyone/anywhere?

R. Nash, Car
Collins, Cmb
Greening, Ott
LeNeveu, NYR
Moulson, NYI, Buf, Min
Murray, Mon
Scrivens, LA, Edm

Date: March 20, 2014 03:54PM

^^ I think that's it with O'Byrne off in the KHL this year, Sawada in Finland, B. Nash in the AHL, etc.

Posted by: gomestar (199.67.140.---)
Date: March 21, 2014 11:20AM

Scrivens listed as one of the players that Yahoo Puckdaddy says "10 NHL players you might not realize are having ridiculously good seasons"

[sports.yahoo.com]

Posted by: sah67 (---.nj.res.rr.com)
Date: March 22, 2014 11:10PM

Riley Nash scored his 9th of the season in Carolina's 3-2 win over Winnipeg today.

Posted by: LaJollaRed (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 23, 2014 10:09PM

Moulson with the gamewinning deflection tonight against Detroit.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2014 07:07AM

LaJollaRed
Moulson with the gamewinning deflection tonight against Detroit.

Fabulous deflection. Maybe he can stop by Ithaca and teach that skill to the current team.

Posted by: sah67 (---.nj.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2014 08:25AM

Scrivens returned the favor when, yet again, an angry Oilers fan tossed their jersey onto the ice after a blowout loss to Calgary:
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2014 12:10PM

sah67
Scrivens returned the favor when, yet again, an angry Oilers fan tossed their jersey onto the ice after a blowout loss to Calgary:
[www.youtube.com]

I was really impressed by Scrivens' interview and the comments made in support of Scrivens.

Thanks for posting that here.

Not an alum but....
Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2014 10:03PM

If you think we are snake bit we're in good company.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2014 10:05PM by marty.

Re: Not an alum but....
Date: March 25, 2014 07:42AM

marty
If you think we are snake bit we're in good company.

It was hard enough watching it last night. I really didn;t need to see that again.

Posted by: ugarte (207.239.110.---)
Date: March 25, 2014 02:25PM

Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2014 06:10PM

Here is the story on Andy signing with the Everblades on CornellBigRed.com

Date: March 25, 2014 06:49PM

Larry72
Here is the story on Andy signing with the Everblades on CornellBigRed.com
So did ndy sign a contract specifically with the Everblades or is this a developmental contract with one of their two NHL affiliates (Carolina and Tampa Bay)? Hockey has such an odd system of minor league affiliations (compared to baseball, which I am much mroe famiiar with).

Posted by: BearLover (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2014 12:54AM

Ferlin Watch 2014: Can we assume that Brian plans to remain with the Big Red given that he has not (yet?) signed a pro contract?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2014 12:54AM by BearLover.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2014 07:21AM

BearLover
Ferlin Watch 2014: Can we assume that Brian plans to remain with the Big Red given that he has not (yet?) signed a pro contract?

Too soon for that assumption

Posted by: BearLover (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2014 10:47AM

scoop85
BearLover

I knew I was jumping the gun a bit, but it appears as though everyone who signed a contract did so immediately upon their collegiate season ending.

Date: March 26, 2014 10:52AM

BearLover
scoop85
BearLover

I knew I was jumping the gun a bit, but it appears as though everyone who signed a contract did so immediately upon their collegiate season ending.
There seem to be two bumps -- one just as the season ends, and then one sometime in late July / easily August --- not sure what that's about, maybe when CBA salaries roll over.

Date: March 26, 2014 10:53AM

BearLover
scoop85
BearLover

A lot of guys do so they can get some pro games in this season. But more than a few guys don't sign until the summer.

Date: March 26, 2014 10:56AM

Trotsky
BearLover
scoop85
BearLover

There seem to be two bumps -- one just as the season ends, and then one sometime in late July / easily August --- not sure what that's about, maybe when CBA salaries roll over.
Might be related to the BA. Or it might just reflect two groups of players. One set had their minds made up to sign and were eager to get started as soon as possible. The other set needs time to decide whether to go pro or not. Once you've missed the end of this hockey season there's no reason to sign until it's getting close to training camp.

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: March 26, 2014 11:18AM

KeithK
Trotsky
BearLover
scoop85
BearLover

Might be related to the BA. Or it might just reflect two groups of players. One set had their minds made up to sign and were eager to get started as soon as possible. The other set needs time to decide whether to go pro or not. Once you've missed the end of this hockey season there's no reason to sign until it's getting close to training camp.

I think the summer signings probably have a lot to do with summer prospect camps and what players are told/believe about their place in the organization.

Date: March 26, 2014 12:18PM

Do really feel that one of the non-seniors will jump ship? I personally feel like only Ryan is ready to make a move to the pros. The rest I do not feel that way.

Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login