Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Recruits 2014

Posted by Trotsky 
Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Recruits 2014
Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 11, 2014 08:58AM

Something very nasty has happened to the old Recruits thread (don't go there, it immediately crashes you out of eLynah), so what the hey, why not a new one?

Looking at BRPH's still-maintained recruit stat table, a few things jump out:

Strenshein: 19 GP, 19-5-24

Well, we did say we wanted guys who weren't shy about taking the shot.

Yates: 27 GP, 26-17-43

Not sure if he's facing Little Sisters of the Poor but that's gaudy.

Stoick: 32 GP, 64 PIMs.

Looks like Gavin has, ahem, retooled his game in preparation for the sequel. He's still just 19.

Hackett: 9 GP.

Teammate of Stoick with Green Bay and finally back from the injury that took him out for 2 months.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2014 08:59AM by Trotsky.

Re: Recruits 2014
Posted by: pfibiger (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: February 11, 2014 09:41AM

Trotsky
Something very nasty has happened to the old Recruits thread (don't go there, it immediately crashes you out of eLynah), so what the hey, why not a new one?

The one that jumps out at me is Dwyer Tschantz: Playing in the USHL, #2 on his teams in goals scored, and 6'5".

Yates will be interesting -- he's playing prep hockey, the transition to a higher level of competition can be uneven (see Alex Rauter).

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2014 12:03PM

pfibiger
Trotsky

The one that jumps out at me is Dwyer Tschantz: Playing in the USHL, #2 on his teams in goals scored, and 6'5".

Yates will be interesting -- he's playing prep hockey, the transition to a higher level of competition can be uneven (see Alex Rauter).
If you want to look up further information on Yates, I highly encourage you to include the term "hockey" in your Google search; there's another Trevor Yates who makes movies you wouldn't want coming up on your work computer.

(Or, for all I know, maybe it's the same Trevor Yates.)

Date: February 11, 2014 12:12PM

Josh '99

It never hurts to have something to put on your application under "extracurricular activities."

Posted by: Robb (134.223.230.---)
Date: February 11, 2014 02:18PM

Trotsky
Josh '99

It never hurts to have something to put on your application under "extracurricular activities."
Or to have something to go pro in other than sports.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-209-138.myvzw.com)
Date: February 15, 2014 05:09PM

Met two sets of parents on Friday at the Onion game. I hope they are back tonight.

Racine from Ottawa has great parents that sat behind us. His uncle played goalie for Northeadtern, winning all American honours and the beanpot.

I also noticed the Strensheins as we were entering Lynah. LGR!

Posted by: cbuckser (---.dsl.dynamic.sonic.net)
Date: February 16, 2014 02:12AM

Chad Otterman, a big, 1995-born forward from Morristown, New Jersey and the Delbarton School, has committed to Cornell.

Posted by: CAS (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2014 06:56AM

Chad Otterman is projected as a mid-round draft pick by NHL Central Scouting. There are now 4 Cornell recruits listed in the midterm rankings.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2014 10:15AM

CAS
Chad Otterman is projected as a mid-round draft pick by NHL Central Scouting. There are now 4 Cornell recruits listed in the midterm rankings.
This is great news, especially since we will not be too badly damaged by this year's graduations (assuming Gillam / Hackett can replace Iles). It helps to flatten out the "key class / support class" two-piston cycle that has been building lately as well.

We have way too many forwards slated to enter this Fall. Maybe some of them are insurance against junior defections or underclass washouts.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2014 10:43AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2014 11:18AM

If our lacrosse program wasn't one of the six, or even if it was, maybe he could play after hockey season. Harry Orr did it.

Date: February 16, 2014 11:33AM

TimV
If our lacrosse program wasn't one of the six, or even if it was, maybe he could play after hockey season. Harry Orr did it.

At scholarship schools, if an athlete plays two sports does that tally against both scholarship limits or just one?

(Hopefully it's both or you could really abuse the system by, say, loading up on "gymnasts" who also just happen to play nose tackle.)
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2014 11:35AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: dag14 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2014 01:14PM

Matt Moulson could have started for our lax team, as could Joe Neuwendyk in his day.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2014 09:34PM

Trotsky

At scholarship schools, if an athlete plays two sports does that tally against both scholarship limits or just one?

I'm pretty sure it's just one. Some sports have limited scholarships- lacrosse has only 12. Those teams mostly award fractional scholarships, so a player could get 1/2 a lacrosse scholarship and 1/2 a gymnastics scholarship for a full ride. It doesn't happen often.

Date: February 18, 2014 07:48AM

Dwyer Tschantz is on fire playing in the USHL, 4 goals in his last 3 games.

Date: February 18, 2014 10:22AM

TimV
Trotsky

I'm pretty sure it's just one. Some sports have limited scholarships- lacrosse has only 12. Those teams mostly award fractional scholarships, so a player could get 1/2 a lacrosse scholarship and 1/2 a gymnastics scholarship for a full ride. It doesn't happen often.
Fractions makes sense, although you could still abuse it.

Posted by: Swampy (---.219.128.131.dhcp.uri.edu)
Date: February 18, 2014 12:48PM

Trotsky
CAS
This is great news, especially since we will not be too badly damaged by this year's graduations (assuming Gillam / Hackett can replace Iles). It helps to flatten out the "key class / support class" two-piston cycle that has been building lately as well.

We have way too many forwards slated to enter this Fall. Maybe some of them are insurance against junior defections or underclass washouts.

Yes, but BRPH lists him as 2015. Our very strong current class of juniors will have graduated by the time Chad arrives on the hill.

Among those slated to enter next fall, Yates (Deefield/NV) is averaging 1.6 ppg; the next highest, Vanderlaan (AJHL), is averaging 0.59 ppg.
Among those slated to enter in 2015 or 2016, Ott (USPHL) is averaging 0.81 ppg; Otterman (Delbarton), 1.6; Sternschein (LI Gulls), 1.26; Starrett (USPHL), 0.96; and Tschantz (USHL), 0.7.

As we've seen this year with Matt Buckles, even extraordinary scorers take some time to adjust to the college game. So while the pipeline looks very good, and next year's team should be a serious contender for league and national honors, (and with no disrespect for the incoming class) I'm afraid the pipeline is not going to add a tremendous amount of firepower to the 2014-2015 team. OTOH, defensemen Bliss and Wedman may be able to help out significantly.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2014 12:49PM by Swampy.

Date: February 18, 2014 01:20PM

Swampy
Among those slated to enter next fall, Yates (Deefield/NV) is averaging 1.6 ppg; the next highest, Vanderlaan (AJHL), is averaging 0.59 ppg.
Among those slated to enter in 2015 or 2016, Ott (USPHL) is averaging 0.81 ppg; Otterman (Delbarton), 1.6; Sternschein (LI Gulls), 1.26; Starrett (USPHL), 0.96; and Tschantz (USHL), 0.7.
Booth, Starrett and Tschantz being later helps; it would give us 4 entering forwards (Angello, Rauter, Vanderlaan, Yates) to replace the 3 graduating (Craig, Mowrey, de Swardt), which is reasonable.

BTW, Elite Prospects still has Cimetta heading for Cornell. He's off BRPH. Is that definite?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2014 01:22PM by Trotsky.

Date: February 18, 2014 02:52PM

Trotsky
Swampy
Booth, Starrett and Tschantz being later helps; it would give us 4 entering forwards (Angello, Rauter, Vanderlaan, Yates) to replace the 3 graduating (Craig, Mowrey, de Swardt), which is reasonable.

BTW, Elite Prospects still has Cimetta heading for Cornell. He's off BRPH. Is that definite?

A more interesting question is: Where did Matt Cimetta go? This summer he was training with the Abbots:

[www.theobserver.ca]

And then he disappeared. He is on no findable hockey roster for this year, and there's no article or discussion of injury. Maybe he gave up hockey?

Date: February 18, 2014 04:02PM

pfibiger
A more interesting question is: Where did Matt Cimetta go? This summer he was training with the Abbots:

[www.theobserver.ca]

And then he disappeared. He is on no findable hockey roster for this year, and there's no article or discussion of injury. Maybe he gave up hockey?
He was expected to be the Sarnia (GOHL) captain this year, and he was a Sarnia (OHL) draft pick (that's where I assumed he had passed us up for).
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2014 04:22PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 18, 2014 08:48PM

Trotsky
pfibiger

[www.theobserver.ca]

He was expected to be the Sarnia (GOHL) captain this year, and he was a Sarnia (OHL) draft pick (that's where I assumed he had passed us up for).
In looks like Sarnia has his rights but I found a Facebook page that I think is him (has references to Sarnia) and he appears to be a freshman at the University of Waterloo.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2014 10:58PM

The staff certainly seems to be bringing in some outstanding talent.

Posted by: cbuckser (---.dsl.dynamic.sonic.net)
Date: February 19, 2014 12:31AM

ugarte
In looks like Sarnia has his rights but I found a Facebook page that I think is him (has references to Sarnia) and he appears to be a freshman at the University of Waterloo.
That is indeed him.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 19, 2014 12:52AM

scoop85

Yeah. With recruiting targeting younger kids, which puts the Ivies at a disadvantage, it would be nice if Fiegl matured and decided Cornell was more to his liking than DU. Anyone know the story here?

Date: February 19, 2014 07:37AM

Jared Fiegl
1/23/96
6' 1" 198
Parker, CO
USNDT U18

According to Elite Prospects and hockeydb he has played just 8 games this year.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 19, 2014 08:35AM

Swampy
scoop85

Yeah. With recruiting targeting younger kids, which puts the Ivies at a disadvantage, it would be nice if Fiegl matured and decided Cornell was more to his liking than DU. Anyone know the story here?

The coach who recruited him was fired, which probably explains the defection more than anything else.

Date: February 19, 2014 09:49AM

marty
Met two sets of parents on Friday at the Onion game. I hope they are back tonight.

Racine from Ottawa has great parents that sat behind us. His uncle played goalie for Northeadtern, winning all American honours and the beanpot.
I hope Hunter Racine is considering Cornell. He looks like a stud.

Interestingly, his uncle (Bruce) runs a goaltender academy attended by one Ryan Coon.

Posted by: cbuckser (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: February 20, 2014 05:04PM

Trotsky
marty

Interestingly, his uncle (Bruce) runs a goaltender academy attended by one Ryan Coon.
Hunter Racine has committed to Colgate.

Posted by: ugarte (207.239.110.---)
Date: February 20, 2014 05:16PM

cbuckser
Trotsky
marty

Hunter Racine has committed to Colgate.
Stakes in the Union game were higher than we thought.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 21, 2014 04:57PM

Swampy
Yes, but BRPH lists him as 2015. Our very strong current class of juniors will have graduated by the time Chad arrives on the hill.

As we've seen this year with Matt Buckles, even extraordinary scorers take some time to adjust to the college game. So while the pipeline looks very good, and next year's team should be a serious contender for league and national honors, (and with no disrespect for the incoming class) I'm afraid the pipeline is not going to add a tremendous amount of firepower to the 2014-2015 team. OTOH, defensemen Bliss and Wedman may be able to help out significantly.
Putting stats from Delbarton and the AYHL U16 LI Gulls next to junior stats is apples and oranges in a big way. Delbarton is a nice school with a nice hockey program (my son goes to Don Bosco, a league competitor that just beat Delbarton) but it doesn't compare to junior hockey. I would guess that Otterman will need some seasoning at a junior program despite his draft ranking, he played for the Jersey Hitmen a little bit last year but he was young and wasn't really a factor.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2014 06:37PM

RatushnyFan
Swampy

Putting stats from Delbarton and the AYHL U16 LI Gulls next to junior stats is apples and oranges in a big way. Delbarton is a nice school with a nice hockey program (my son goes to Don Bosco, a league competitor that just beat Delbarton) but it doesn't compare to junior hockey. I would guess that Otterman will need some seasoning at a junior program despite his draft ranking, he played for the Jersey Hitmen a little bit last year but he was young and wasn't really a factor.
If you're a star for Delbarton lacrosse, you're a stud and probably headed D1. A couple Delbarton hockey alumni have done well in college. Not every player will be a star. Delbarton is the school for Chris Christie's kids.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 21, 2014 09:54PM

billhoward
RatushnyFan
Swampy

If you're a star for Delbarton lacrosse, you're a stud and probably headed D1. A couple Delbarton hockey alumni have done well in college. Not every player will be a star. Delbarton is the school for Chris Christie's kids.

Do they study traffic?

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2014 10:06PM

RatushnyFan

Kenny Agostino went to Delbarton. His senior year he scored 50 goals and had 33 assists -- looks like Otterman is at 24 and 15 (fwiw).

Posted by: ajh258 (64.212.61.---)
Date: February 22, 2014 06:04PM

Not sure if the has been mentioned elsewhere:

Link to USHL Release

Indiana Ice goaltender Hayden Stewart has committed to play college hockey at Cornell University following his USHL career.

The 19-year-old has been stellar for the Ice since being acquired in January, posting a perfect 6-0-0 record which included back-to-back shutouts against the Youngstown Phantoms on February 8th and 9th. He has not allowed more than one goal in any of his six starts with the Ice, posting a 0.67 GAA and .971 SV% over that span. Stewart began the season with the Dubuque Fighting Saints and compiled a 6-6-1 record over 13 appearances with the club. His overall 2.30 goals-against-average in 19 games this season is the third best mark among USHL goaltenders.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2014 06:05PM by ajh258.

Date: February 22, 2014 06:40PM

Interesting. In addition to Gillam and Coon we'll now have Hackett (6/1/96) and Stewart (9/22/94). With four years in the USHL and turning 20 in September, maybe this means Stewart will come in this fall and Hackett will delay.

Date: February 22, 2014 07:04PM

ithacat
Kenny Agostino went to Delbarton. His senior year he scored 50 goals and had 33 assists -- looks like Otterman is at 24 and 15 (fwiw).
Exactly, very different numbers. Agostino is the exception rather than the rule. Kenny also played with the New Jersey Colonials travel club team from Mite C through U18, I would argue that the Colonials were responsible for the bulk of his development, not Delbarton. Club hockey is far more important than high school hockey in New Jersey.

Date: February 22, 2014 08:24PM

Trotsky
Interesting. In addition to Gillam and Coon we'll now have Hackett (6/1/96) and Stewart (9/22/94). With four years in the USHL and turning 20 in September, maybe this means Stewart will come in this fall and Hackett will delay.

This is my guess too. Hackett seems to have struggled with injury and the transition to the USHL, so a year as the clear-cut #1 in the USHL probably will be a good thing for his development.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: February 24, 2014 07:40AM

Are we losing our BCHL pipeline to Union? Ken Schott reports that Union is getting another recruit from there.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2014 08:27AM

Certainly we're seeing a significant shift in our recruiting patterns -- many more guys coming from USHL and the other US junior leagues. As of now it appears we have no one coming from the BCHL. This could be related to a number of factors, but I would assume the change in assistant coaches over the last 5 years is a significant factor.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 24, 2014 09:42AM

scoop85
Certainly we're seeing a significant shift in our recruiting patterns -- many more guys coming from USHL and the other US junior leagues. As of now it appears we have no one coming from the BCHL. This could be related to a number of factors, but I would assume the change in assistant coaches over the last 5 years is a significant factor.
IMHO it is a wise decision. Year by year the USHL has widened the gap between them and all other places from which D-I schools can recruit. Certainly players from many other leagues can jump into D-I hockey, but the USHL is by far the best league now. The BCHL probably is second best.

I don't follow Cornell recruits closely, but RPI recruits who switch from another league to the USHL have invariably had a decrease in production in the USHL which shows to me that the USHL provides stronger competition.

Date: February 24, 2014 09:43AM

Personal networks seem to be part of it. We had the Golden Horseshoe under Bertrand and Reycroft; with McCutcheon we had those Alberta links; early Schafer had the BCHL in general and Nanaimo in particular; now we have the USHL and the Texas connection (Stewart played for Corpus Christie). It could also be a matter of player generations running dry: you recruit an 83 who then gets a pair of 84 teammates interested in you, who in turn attract an 85... eventually a couple years pass where there are no players from that source who are good prospects, the player relationship chains break, and when another prospect from the source crops up you have no insider edge.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2014 09:46AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: cbuckser (---.google.com)
Date: February 25, 2014 12:49PM

ursusminor
RPI recruits who switch from another league to the USHL have invariably had a decrease in production in the USHL which shows to me that the USHL provides stronger competition.
In addition to being the league with the most talent, the USHL is a defense-oriented league. It prepares players extraordinarily well for Division I hockey.

Date: March 03, 2014 06:09PM

Sam Sternschein is heating up. 18 points in his last seven games for the U16 Long Island Gulls, including a goal (empty netter) and an assist in the AYHL playoff championship game.

Sam's stats

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: March 04, 2014 08:18AM

RatushnyFan
Sam Sternschein is heating up. 18 points in his last seven games for the U16 Long Island Gulls, including a goal (empty netter) and an assist in the AYHL playoff championship game.

Sam's stats

Excellent! We play so many games with late one-goal leads that it would be great to have a strong empty-net guy.nut

Date: March 04, 2014 10:14AM

RatushnyFan

Sam's stats
Every time I see his name, I really wish it were spelled "Stymchyshyn."

Date: March 04, 2014 10:29AM

You can call him Darren if that makes you feel better. He's an interesting story.......from the moribund U Illinois-Chicago program which was shut down to Lynah rink, how about them apples? I was at Michigan getting my MBA in '95-'96, that UIC team was awful.

Date: March 04, 2014 10:53AM

Robb
Every time I see his name, I really wish it were spelled "Stymchyshyn."
I always think:

"How's it feel to be an Independent, Schoenstein?"

"How's it feel to be an asshole, Niedermeyer?"

"What did he say?"
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2014 10:53AM by Trotsky.

Date: March 04, 2014 11:17AM

Comparing Heisenberg's Fall '13 and Fall '14 lists:

On '13, now on team: Anderson, Weidner, Freschi, Coon, Lewis, Kubiak, Gillam, Buckles, P McCarron, Sade

On '13 and repeated on '14: Vanderlaan, Angello, Ott, Rauter, Bliss

On '13 but not on team or '14: Booth, Hackett, Cimetta

On '14: Fiegl, Otterman, Tschantz, Wedman, Strenshein, Starrett, Yates, Hoffman

Not yet on '14: Stewart

Are all the players in red gone? Cimetta as discussed above disappeared. Booth and Hackett are off BRPH.
Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2014 11:25AM by Trotsky.

Date: March 04, 2014 11:42AM

Hard to believe that Rauter will be there next year. Looks like he's no longer on a USHL roster, he's moved on to the NAHL. Rauter stats

Posted by: marty (---.albyny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 04, 2014 12:10PM

Trotsky
Comparing Heisenberg's Fall '13 and Fall '14 lists:

On '13, now on team: Anderson, Weidner, Freschi, Coon, Lewis, Kubiak, Gillam, Buckles, P McCarron, Sade

On '13 and repeated on '14: Vanderlaan, Angello, Ott, Rauter, Bliss

On '13 but not on team or '14: Booth, Hackett, Cimetta

On '14: Fiegl, Otterman, Tschantz, Wedman, Strenshein, Starrett, Yates, Hoffman

Not yet on '14: Stewart

Are all the players in red gone? Cimetta as discussed above disappeared. Booth and Hackett are off BRPH.

Needs another edit. Stren is the line I throw off the stern when fishing.

Date: March 04, 2014 12:12PM

RatushnyFan
Hard to believe that Rauter will be there next year. Looks like he's no longer on a USHL roster, he's moved on to the NAHL. Rauter stats

Is the NAHL a better league than the USHL? (i.e., are you saying he's developed beyond the NCAA route, or that he's regressed?)

Date: March 04, 2014 12:31PM

Trotsky
RatushnyFan

Is the NAHL a better league than the USHL? (i.e., are you saying he's developed beyond the NCAA route, or that he's regressed?)

The USHL is significantly better. The NAHL has many players who could not make the USHL, e.g. RPI recruit Charlie Manley.

Date: March 04, 2014 01:01PM

ursusminor
Trotsky
RatushnyFan

The USHL is significantly better. The NAHL has many players who could not make the USHL, e.g. RPI recruit Charlie Manley.

Thx.

Interesting that Rauter's star has fallen. IIRC when he was announced there were people saying he could be a real stud.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.sub-174-255-145.myvzw.com)
Date: March 04, 2014 06:12PM

I believe Rauter's still coming. I saw an interview with him after he got to Wenatchee and he mentioned getting recruited to play at Cornell as being his biggest thrill.

Date: March 05, 2014 09:48AM

I was one who thought he would be a real star...........saw him play as a midget, he was a sniper. For whatever reason, it didn't translate at the next level, probably a speed or strength issue. Maybe he'll come around, and scoop I'm sure he still wants to come (who wouldn't) but I think it's at least a question mark now as to whether he'll make the team. I hope that he does, he seems like a great kid.

Date: March 05, 2014 11:24AM

RatushnyFan
I was one who thought he would be a real star...........saw him play as a midget, he was a sniper. For whatever reason, it didn't translate at the next level, probably a speed or strength issue. Maybe he'll come around, and scoop I'm sure he still wants to come (who wouldn't) but I think it's at least a question mark now as to whether he'll make the team. I hope that he does, he seems like a great kid.

Well, it's not like we're drowning in scorers.

Sounds a little like Matt Connors. Sometimes guys can't make the jump, sometimes an injury comes along at exactly the wrong time in a kid's development. At least it isn't a case of attitude or academics or ESL, each of which can be indicative of future problems.

I hope he makes it and thrives (of course!)
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2014 11:38AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: MattS (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 09, 2014 10:30AM

Final list is out for the NHL Central Scouting. Below are the CU recruits I noticed:

#79 Beau Starrett
#114 Anthony Angello
#142 Jared Fiegl

Date: April 09, 2014 12:32PM

MattS
Final list is out for the NHL Central Scouting. Below are the CU recruits I noticed:

#79 Beau Starrett
#114 Anthony Angello
#142 Jared Fiegl

Seems like the rule of thumb is the final draft position maps to about 2 x the final CS rank. That would put Starrett in the 6th round and Angello on the bubble for the 7th.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: April 21, 2014 07:17AM

Follow up on one we lost. Union recruit Shier named OJHL playoff MVP.

Date: April 21, 2014 11:23AM

Jim Hyla
Follow up on one we lost. Union recruit Shier named OJHL playoff MVP.
Link's not opening for me. Is that Pete Shier's son?

Posted by: Jerseygirl (---.ad.cornell.edu)
Date: April 21, 2014 03:07PM

Yes.

Date: April 21, 2014 04:49PM

Boo.

We really shouldn't let great prospects who are legacies get way. :-(

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 21, 2014 05:01PM

Pete Shier is a loyal Cornell alum. It may be there's something special about Union ... or for his son. It may be the parents' money, but it's the student's life.

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: April 21, 2014 05:09PM

Trotsky
Boo.

I think you're already on record re: this commitment: [elf.elynah.com]
:-)

Date: April 22, 2014 11:35AM

Chris '03
Trotsky
Boo.

Neither of those were top prospects.

When a legacy goes somewhere else because we didn't offer, that's fine. When we offer but he still goes somewhere else, that means we lost the competition for a player who started out with every reason to come to Cornell. That's bad.

Obviously there could be a million reasons to not choose your star father's school -- establish your own identity, etc. But OTOH, have we ever had a guy whose father was a star on another team?

Harvard has had, what, 3 generations of Cavanaughs? 4? That is a good story, aesthetically pleasing, and it would be great if we would have the same.

I'm just jealous.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: April 22, 2014 12:27PM

Trotsky
Chris '03
Trotsky
Boo.

When a legacy goes somewhere else because we didn't offer, that's fine. When we offer but he still goes somewhere else, that means we lost the competition for a player who started out with every reason to come to Cornell. That's bad.

Obviously there could be a million reasons to not choose your star father's school -- establish your own identity, etc. But OTOH, have we ever had a guy whose father was a star on another team?

Harvard has had, what, 3 generations of Cavanaughs? 4? That is a good story, aesthetically pleasing, and it would be great if we would have the same.

I'm just jealous.

For what it's worth, I'd have hated to go to my dad's school when I was 18. Call it rebellion, branching out, establishing my own identity, or whatever. I'd have been annoyed.

Similarly, I'm shocked when a player (or anyone, really) from Ithaca goes to Cornell.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: April 22, 2014 12:38PM

Dafatone
Trotsky
Chris '03
Trotsky
Boo.

I'm just jealous.

For what it's worth, I'd have hated to go to my dad's school when I was 18. Call it rebellion, branching out, establishing my own identity, or whatever. I'd have been annoyed.

Similarly, I'm shocked when a player (or anyone, really) from Ithaca goes to Cornell.
Everyone's different I guess. As much as I love NYC I didn't want to go to school there (especially after my dad suggested going to Columbia and living at home). But then I have two cousins who went to schools about an hour from home and are seemingly home every weekend.

Date: April 22, 2014 12:48PM

Dafatone
For what it's worth, I'd have hated to go to my dad's school when I was 18.
Me too, but I also wasn't looking to build an NHL career. And I may be wrong, but my impression is kids who are reflexively rebellious in that way (like us) tend not to follow their parent's sport. They get degrees in playwriting or some such... ;)

Date: April 22, 2014 02:54PM

Trotsky

I'm just jealous.

Different permutations of Father/Son recruiting and misses. This list is by no means exhaustive, it was just off the top of my head plus some cursory looking:

CU hockey players whose fathers played elsewhere:
Mitch Carefoot (Denver)
Blake Gallagher (SLU)

College hockey players whose fathers played at Cornell:
Mark Jankowski (Providence)
Will Weber (Miami)
Paul Geiger (Clarkson)
Mike Ambrosia (Princeton)
Mark Mitera (Michigan)
Dan Peace (RPI)
Matt Brush (Princeton)

Older brother played at CU, player went elsewhere:
Nik Pokulok (Clarkson)

Older brother played elsewhere, player went to CU:
Evan Barlow (Harvard)
Mitch Gillam (Dartmouth)
Sean Whitney (BU)
Bob Kinasewich (Harvard)
Jeff Kubiak (Bentley)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2014 09:04AM by pfibiger.

Posted by: jkahn (---.bobbroadband.com)
Date: April 22, 2014 03:32PM

pfibiger

Older brother played elsewhere, player went to CU:
Evan Barlow (Harvard)
Mitch Gillam (Dartmouth)
Sean Whitney (BU)

a couple of others I can quickly think of:
Bob Kinasewich '67 (Harvard)
Jeff Kubiak '17 (Bentley)

hard to believe they're a half century apart.

Posted by: dag14 (---.ag.cornell.edu)
Date: April 22, 2014 03:59PM

I believe that Craig Brush '72 son played elsewhere -- maybe Princeton? And Jim Gibson's son was a star lax player at Yale.

Date: April 22, 2014 04:23PM

Dave Peace's son Dan played at RPI. I doubt that Cornell was interested.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: April 22, 2014 10:15PM

ursusminor
Dave Peace's son Dan played at RPI. I doubt that Cornell was interested.

That's what Dave told me. On the other hand his daughter did her undergrad work at Cornell and was headed to the University of Michigan for her law degree. As little as I became acquainted with the Peace children, I felt fortunate to make their acquaintance.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 23, 2014 06:49AM

dag14
I believe that Craig Brush '72 son played elsewhere -- maybe Princeton? And Jim Gibson's son was a star lax player at Yale.
There's a Matt Brush who played for Princeton and subsequently for the Florida Everblades.

Posted by: gomestar (199.67.140.---)
Date: April 23, 2014 11:28AM

pfibiger

Older brother played at CU, player went elsewhere:
Nik Pokulok (Clarkson)

Tom Hilbrich @ Quinnipiac

also prob. not in the same breath, but the young McCarron who bolted D1 all together

Posted by: ithacat (---.cbs.cornell.edu)
Date: April 23, 2014 02:00PM

You could add Kevin Shier to the list.

Ryan Johnston (Colgate), Jacob/Rebecca/Sarah played at Cornell.
Jeff Skinner (OHL), sister Andrea played at Cornell.

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 23, 2014 03:07PM

Josh '99
dag14
There's a Matt Brush who played for Princeton and subsequently for the Florida Everblades.

Which reminds me -- I keep meaning to ask, is this for real? I have yet to find a confirmation.

(Just to be clear, I'm not talking about the outdated scoring system)

Date: May 09, 2014 08:25PM

Well it doesn't exactly fit here as a 2014 recruit, but Chris Heisenberg is now listing Joey Kubachka a right wing for the Philadelphia Jr. Flyers as a Cornell 2017 recruit. Heisenberg lists him as 6'2", 175 lb, and born 7/4/98.

Date: May 10, 2014 05:25PM

ursusminor
Well it doesn't exactly fit here as a 2014 recruit, but Chris Heisenberg is now listing Joey Kubachka a right wing for the Philadelphia Jr. Flyers as a Cornell 2017 recruit. Heisenberg lists him as 6'2", 175 lb, and born 7/4/98.
Easiest nickname ever.

Date: May 10, 2014 06:04PM

All of the players listed by Heisenberg as entering in Fall '15 or later are American born.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2014 06:05PM by Trotsky.

Date: May 19, 2014 01:42AM

Michael O'Leary probably for 2016

Date: May 19, 2014 12:24PM

ursusminor
Michael O'Leary probably for 2016

"The six-foot-one left-winger was projected by many to go high in the upcoming QMJHL draft being held in Shebrooke, Que. on May 31. HockeyProspect.com had the Halifax native ranked 12th overall."

Hrm.

Well, let's hope so, but we've seen this movie before.

Date: May 20, 2014 09:54AM

Many highly regarded players committed to attend Cornell in the next 2-3 years. Congrats to the coaching staff. Drop the puck!

Posted by: RichH (134.223.230.---)
Date: May 20, 2014 01:07PM

CAS
Many highly regarded players committed to attend Cornell in the next 2-3 years. Congrats to the coaching staff. Drop the puck!

Like Trotsky hinted at, we've had "highly regarded" players lined up in the pipelines many times before. There's a lot that can happen to 16-17 year olds. Some just can't adjust to the college level, either skill-wise or ability to handle the physicality. Then there are those who were never seen as blue-chippers and then turn into Matt Moulson. Some have talent, but don't do the work necessary, and others fit in so well that they play above their head for four years.

Recruit threads are games in themselves. I read these, but reserve judgement until I can see what they can do at Lynah.

BTW, has anybody been following the whole "gentleman's agreement" stuff happening now?

[www.collegehockeynews.com]

The end of that piece has a comment on Ivy practices.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: May 20, 2014 11:12PM

RichH
BTW, has anybody been following the whole "gentleman's agreement" stuff happening now?

That's, actually, a really, interesting (but) oddly written, article. Certainly, however (an) unusual (sort of) style.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: ugarte (207.239.110.---)
Date: May 21, 2014 04:38PM

Beeeej
RichH

That's, actually, a really, interesting (but) oddly written, article. Certainly, however (an) unusual (sort of) style.
My guess is that the style indicates where word salad was paraphrased to convert it back to English, since the parentheticals appear within quotes.

For example: One assistant coach said: "(Minnesota doesn't) seem to be into stealing a bunch of kids. was probably "they don't seem..." but rather than write to the quote, the authors clarified that Minnesota was who the speaker was referencing.

Date: May 23, 2014 08:35AM

When should we expect Cornell to announce the hockey recruits entering this fall?

Posted by: MattS (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 23, 2014 10:13AM

CAS
When should we expect Cornell to announce the hockey recruits entering this fall?

It was done on June 3rd last year so, soon I would guess.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2014 10:14AM by MattS.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: May 23, 2014 12:24PM

RichH
CAS

Like Trotsky hinted at, we've had "highly regarded" players lined up in the pipelines many times before. There's a lot that can happen to 16-17 year olds. Some just can't adjust to the college level, either skill-wise or ability to handle the physicality. Then there are those who were never seen as blue-chippers and then turn into Matt Moulson. Some have talent, but don't do the work necessary, and others fit in so well that they play above their head for four years.

Recruit threads are games in themselves. I read these, but reserve judgement until I can see what they can do at Lynah.

These "Gentlemans Agreements" are really a form of price fixing that operates to the benefit of the institution and the detriment of the student athlete. It effectively prevents a student from getting a better deal at an alternative institution. (Of course the NC$$ is all for this).

The last time the Ivy's did this they got threatened price fixing charge:

[www.nytimes.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2014 12:32PM by Towerroad.

Posted by: CAS (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 31, 2014 09:03AM

Big Red Puckhead has posted a nice article on recruit Dwyer Tschantz, who is headed to Ithaca this fall. Wish I knew how to provide a link...

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 31, 2014 12:56PM

CAS
Big Red Puckhead has posted a nice article on recruit Dwyer Tschantz, who is headed to Ithaca this fall. Wish I knew how to provide a link...

Here's the article

Date: May 31, 2014 01:07PM

Mike O'Leary drafted high in QMJHL draft:

Certainly will be lot of pressure on him to go the Major Junior route. Hopefully he'll decide the college option is the best for him.

Recruits 2014-Hayden Stewart
Posted by: jkahn (---.bobbroadband.com)
Date: June 02, 2014 11:26AM

scoop85
CAS

Here's the article

From the linked delawareonline article on Dwyer Tschantz,

Tschantz plans to room with Ice teammate Hayden Stewart, a goalie.
Other than ajh258's initial post in February, there hasn't been much discussion here on Stewart. Here are a couple of articles.
[ushl.com]
[www.usahockey.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2014 11:38AM by jkahn.

Re: Recruits 2014-Hayden Stewart
Date: June 02, 2014 12:11PM

jkahn
Tschantz plans to room with Ice teammate Hayden Stewart, a goalie.

Other than ajh258's initial post in February, there hasn't been much discussion here on Stewart. Here are a couple of articles.
[ushl.com]
[www.usahockey.com]
Per the stats page, Stewart played in 14 of their 27 games and put up a 1.29 GAA and .945 %. banana

On the other hand, their other goalie (headed to MSU-Mankato) played in 42 games, including the Anderson Cup final (which they won). yark

Date: June 02, 2014 02:55PM

scoop85
CAS

Here's the article
Apparently the author didn't get the memo that all sportswriting is supposed to be fluff bullshit, unclever puns. And. Short. Dramatic.

One sentence paragraphs.

It's actually well-written and factual. That guy's got no future in the biz.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2014 02:57PM by Trotsky.

Date: June 26, 2014 09:08PM

Starrett draft preview

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 26, 2014 10:05PM

Trotsky
Starrett draft preview

Does that ever describe a classic Cornell forward (both for better and worse)

Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: June 27, 2014 06:27AM

scoop85
Trotsky
Starrett draft preview

"Recent Cornell alum" John McCarron??

Date: June 28, 2014 11:36AM

Trotsky
Starrett draft preview

Starrett drafted in the 3rd round by Chicago, no. 88 overall.

Posted by: jkahn (73.44.94.---)
Date: June 28, 2014 11:36AM

scoop85
Trotsky
Starrett draft preview

Starrett drafted by Chicago in 3rd round, 88th overall.

Date: June 28, 2014 12:32PM

Anthony Angello drafted in the 5th round by Pittsburgh, 145th overall.

Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login