Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Red Hot Hockey

Posted by jeff '84 
Red Hot Hockey
Posted by: jeff '84 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 25, 2013 10:14PM

Re: Red Hot Hockey
Date: November 25, 2013 10:26PM

From last year's game: A legacy of Cornell goalies:

[www.msg.com]

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 25, 2013 11:23PM

Paper said no live broadcast. I thought I saw someplace that MSG or MSG+ was showing the game. Anybody know? This will be the first year I don't go.

Posted by: carpy85 (---.mycingular.net)
Date: November 26, 2013 04:10AM

TimV
Paper said no live broadcast. I thought I saw someplace that MSG or MSG+ was showing the game. Anybody know? This will be the first year I don't go.

I checked the TV schedule for Saturday and there is no listings for Red Hot Hockey.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: November 26, 2013 07:11AM

carpy85
TimV

I checked the TV schedule for Saturday and there is no listings for Red Hot Hockey.

Ivy League Digital Network only. Hopefully the feed is good enough to show on projection TV.:-P

Posted by: ugarte (207.239.110.---)
Date: November 27, 2013 10:00AM

Embedded in a BU section, but I'm going. Whew.

Posted by: marty (---.albyny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 27, 2013 10:52AM

ugarte

Isn't there a cheer concerning this?

Posted by: Swampy (131.128.163.---)
Date: November 27, 2013 01:46PM

ugarte

Me too. BU didn't sell out its allocation, so Cornell got them and sold them to us. Screw BU, BU too! cheer

Posted by: hockeyfan23 (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: November 28, 2013 01:01AM

why has armand de Swardt not been playing? hurt, or healthy scratch?

Posted by: dbilmes (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: November 28, 2013 07:12AM

hockeyfan23
In his post-game interview after the Niagara game, Schafer said that all of the players who didn't suit up were "healthy scratches."

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 28, 2013 11:36AM

Lowry's segment on the ECAC Radio show.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: November 28, 2013 04:43PM

And there are still tickets available in the ticket exchange if people are looking.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 29, 2013 11:23AM

CU Games Notes

BU Games Notes

BU's Terrier TV will stream the game. Looks like the cheapest you can get away with is $9.95 for a month pass in which case might as well get Ivy Digital.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2013 11:27AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 30, 2013 07:39AM

dbilmes
hockeyfan23
In his post-game interview after the Niagara game, Schafer said that all of the players who didn't suit up were "healthy scratches."

Maybe Coach is finally getting serious about certain players taking too many stupid penalties??

whistle

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 30, 2013 04:09PM

In preparation for tonight, I tried the Ivy DN for the women on projection TV. So far it's great. I hope the same tonight.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.lightspeed.brfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 30, 2013 06:24PM

An NYPD traffic cop was hit by a truck and killed in front of the Cornell Club this afternoon. Pictures online show a Cornell bus was present but probably not involved in the incident.

Re: Red Hot Hockey; Ivy Digital Network
Posted by: NTLESQ (---.prvdri.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 30, 2013 06:37PM

Anyone know why Cornell BC game is not appearing on Ivy Digital Network? Game was supposed to start at 4:00 Ivy's schedule of games lists it as "live" but all that appears is a green screen with the legend "The Game Will Start Soon."

Posted by: dag14 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 30, 2013 06:42PM

Women's game was at 4. I watched it on IDN starting with the opening faceoff. I am not sure how long it takes for a game to show up in the archives.

Posted by: redice (---.direcpc.com)
Date: November 30, 2013 08:16PM

Joakim Ryan following the game on twitter?

I'd much rather he be on the ice.....

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 30, 2013 11:44PM

small consolation that we are definitely the better team. far more good chances, but didn't cash them in. hilbrich's goal was like 5 equally good chances that we didn't score on. frustrating night a bit vindicated by some real jump at the end of the game, and bardreau's goal was fantastic - almost as good as mccarron's feed.

*sigh*

Re: Red Hot Hockey - post-game
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2013 12:21AM

Not much more you could ask for on offense except the puck going in. On defense we made a half-dozen lapses (or a defender falls down) and BU cashed in three times. The power play was 0x7 and fans in my section got impatient but once set up it looked pretty good, except no scoring. We only took 2 penalties (BU scored on one); that's a positive, too. Hard to believe we outshot a team 3-1 and lost.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2013 12:29AM by billhoward.

Re: Red Hot Hockey - future of series
Date: December 01, 2013 12:25AM

Now there's a Kelly-Harkness Cup (named in that order based on the outcome of the 2013 game) which suggests there'll be an ongoing series. But are some fans getting a little weary of the series? There were more empty seats than ever before. Two sections behind the BU-defended goal (1st and 3rd) were less than half full and I hope those were BU sections. Even so, if there were 2,500 empty seats, that's still a good turnout.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 01, 2013 12:31AM

billhoward
...But are some fans getting a little weary of the series? There were more empty seats than ever before. Two sections behind the BU-defended goal (1st and 3rd) were less than half full...
Probably a little. With the novelty gone and neither team all that great, that's what happens. If either team is top 10, the building is full again.

Agreed that it's still a good enough turnout for MSG to open the doors.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2013 12:51AM

ugarte
small consolation that we are definitely the better team. far more good chances, but didn't cash them in. hilbrich's goal was like 5 equally good chances that we didn't score on. frustrating night a bit vindicated by some real jump at the end of the game, and bardreau's goal was fantastic - almost as good as mccarron's feed.

*sigh*

Just got back from MSG, and I have the same impression. I was surprised at how how passive BU seemed, and we had more than our share of chances. Our Inability to finish has long been our Achilles heal, and tonight was emblematic of that.

While disappointed in the loss, I think we have a lot going for us. Quite a junior class that we have, and I am optimistic we can be a factor in the league and nationally.

Posted by: David Harding (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 01, 2013 12:53AM

Did the ice seem soft? There seemed to me more spontaneous falls than I expect and the crew came out with shovels during every commercial time-out to scrape up shavings.

Posted by: David Harding (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 01, 2013 01:05AM

ugarte
billhoward
...But are some fans getting a little weary of the series? There were more empty seats than ever before. Two sections behind the BU-defended goal (1st and 3rd) were less than half full...
Probably a little. With the novelty gone and neither team all that great, that's what happens. If either team is top 10, the building is full again.

Agreed that it's still a good enough turnout for MSG to open the doors.

The Cornell game report calls it a sell-out, but there were two empty sections in what was clearly BU territory. Cornell's 2/3 of the sections were mostly full. Maybe the sign is that Cornell fans did not grab the loose BU tickets. Anyway, I fully expect that if they bring in Wisconsin, Notre Dame, or another team whose fans travel well next year and it will go back to being truly sold out.

I was disappointed in the ratio of BU celebrities vs. Cornell celebrities who were introduced.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 01, 2013 01:21AM

I was at the game, but in the nosebleed seats. From where I sat, it sure looked like we scored to even the game on one of the second period powerplays. (I think it was the 5 on 3.) Can someone who had a better view explain what the deal was on that shot? I guess it's possible it hit the crossbar and I was so far up I couldn't hear it, but I really thought it was in and out of the net, and was shocked that they didn't at least review it at the next stoppage. Anyone have any light to shed on this?

Posted by: John81 (---.nycmny.btas.verizon.net)
Date: December 01, 2013 01:33AM

It hit the crossbar or post. Attendance according to uscho box score was 18006. Other than the one BU section, the Garden was full.
This series is getting frustrating - we outshoot them 39-11 - when will we beat them at MSG?

Posted by: gomestar (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2013 01:44AM

andyw2100
I was at the game, but in the nosebleed seats. From where I sat, it sure looked like we scored to even the game on one of the second period powerplays. (I think it was the 5 on 3.) Can someone who had a better view explain what the deal was on that shot? I guess it's possible it hit the crossbar and I was so far up I couldn't hear it, but I really thought it was in and out of the net, and was shocked that they didn't at least review it at the next stoppage. Anyone have any light to shed on this?

I was pretty close, and it was clearly off some metal even though we didn't hear anything either.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2013 01:45AM by gomestar.

Posted by: sah67 (---.nj.res.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2013 01:45AM

andyw2100

We were seated right above the goal and clearly saw the puck clank right off the crossbar...it never went in.

Posted by: BMac (---.mycingular.net)
Date: December 01, 2013 02:23AM

Don't worry about the celebrity thing- it's kind of how we don't "do" commercials about our school. Dryden was in the building. We just don't scream about it.

Date: December 01, 2013 09:57AM

David Harding
I was disappointed in the ratio of BU celebrities vs. Cornell celebrities who were introduced.
A Cornellian didn't score that goal at the 1980 Olympics, and we don't have any recent former coaches to show off. Their dean of students, Ken Elmore, is also the warm and fuzzy face of BU; when half the graduating class committed to a class gift in 2011, Elmore jumped in the Charles River with suitable advance notice to the media. Probably necessary because BU's president for three decades, John Silber, was widely regarded as an SOB (and as the person who took BU from safety school to a match for NYU and George Washington). Cornell's dean of students, Kent Hubbell, is more low key, as is Cornell's public face at a lot of sports events, Susan Murphy, VP of Student and Academic Services, who is more involved in quiet pursuits such as expanding Gannett Clinic. If Ken Dryden '70 was in the building, that would have been nice to have shown him on the jumbotron (and what a high-res image those screens provided). Maybe Matt Moulson could have done a shout-out from the Prudential Center in Newark where he was playing with visiting Buffalo.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2013 01:09PM

billhoward
The power play was 0x7 and fans in my section got impatient but once set up it looked pretty good, except no scoring. We only took 2 penalties (BU scored on one); that's a positive, too. Hard to believe we outshot a team 3-1 and lost.
The powerplay was outstanding in movement and positioning. You could hear the "shoot, shoot" morons on the audio and it took a minute to realize that fan IQ hadn't suddenly dropped 50%, it was just NHL types.

If the pp works for the rest of the year like last night we'll be golden. It was pure puck luck that we didn't put 2, 3 or more in.

Very frustrating to lose this game, but we looked miles better than the ugly win against Niagara. All things considered, winning > losing, but as an indicator going forward last night was very positive.

Date: December 01, 2013 01:15PM

BMac
Don't worry about the celebrity thing- it's kind of how we don't "do" commercials about our school. Dryden was in the building. We just don't scream about it.
High school students have no idea who Ken Dryden is. If the purpose is to recruit interest in the school in the NYC area, then we were lacking.

If the purpose was just to squeeze donor dollars out of the NYC crowd (spoiler: it was), then I'd rather we remain quiet and be thought a fool than use a slogan like "That's so BU!" and confirm it.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2013 01:23PM

Trotsky
billhoward
The power play was 0x7 and fans in my section got impatient but once set up it looked pretty good, except no scoring. We only took 2 penalties (BU scored on one); that's a positive, too. Hard to believe we outshot a team 3-1 and lost.
The powerplay was outstanding in movement and positioning. You could hear the "shoot, shoot" morons on the audio and it took a minute to realize that fan IQ hadn't suddenly dropped 50%, it was just NHL types.

If the pp works for the rest of the year like last night we'll be golden. It was pure puck luck that we didn't put 2, 3 or more in.

Very frustrating to lose this game, but we looked miles better than the ugly win against Niagara. All things considered, winning > losing, but as an indicator going forward last night was very positive.

And miles ahead of a few weeks ago vs. RPI. One result was much better in that we came back without the extra attacker we needed in Troy.

Also the work ethic for the full game seemed there last night while watching on the somewhat motion sickness inducing video-cast. For those at the game - did everyone on the team look energetic for the whole game?

Posted by: snert1288 (---.sub-70-192-69.myvzw.com)
Date: December 01, 2013 01:27PM

I was at the game last night and thought that the team did have a lot of energy. Especially on defense we were really competing. The one exception being Joel Lowery. He looked slow and lazy through much of the game as I saw it. Often he was waiting for the puck to come to him only to allow a BU player to catch up and intercept it.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2013 01:31PM

Agree that we generally out-played BU, with the help of dumb penalties and questionable officiating.

Good write-up by CHN

I wasn't one of the people yelling "shoot" throughout the powerplays, but we had some great chances for one-timers off of excellent passes that we wasted. Particularly when you're losing, I don't understand the hesitation with those looks at the net. Yes, Cornell ended up with a lot of shots on goal, but we fell into the classic Cornell situation of being afraid to pull the trigger on the PP and instead settle for shots from the point that went into the skates/pads of the BU player directly in front. It was easy to see why this BU team gave up 55 shots last Saturday to North Dakota, and maybe if we'd gotten the puck to the net a few more times, we could have gotten a third goal (like NoDak did).

Also, am I the only one confused as to why Iles stayed on the ice for the start of the final powerplay? With 6x4, would we really have been so concerned about BU gaining possession and skating it out for an ENG? It wasn't like Iles went directly to the bench once we had possession; he stayed on for :40 of that powerplay. If the linesman hadn't blown the icing call against BU that forced Iles back out for the faceoff, we could have had close to :60 with the extra skater.

The defensive breakdowns (falling down, no one covering the back door, breakout play making it 5 feet) are typical for this time of year; BU just did a great job of capitalizing on those opportunities. When will we finally beat BU?

And also, the two large 100-level BU sections were not even close to half full. How was this a sellout? Did that many people really decide to not attend?

Posted by: Swampy (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2013 08:49PM

billhoward
David Harding
A Cornellian didn't score that goal at the 1980 Olympics, and we don't have any recent former coaches to show off. Their dean of students, Ken Elmore, is also the warm and fuzzy face of BU; when half the graduating class committed to a class gift in 2011, Elmore jumped in the Charles River with suitable advance notice to the media. Probably necessary because BU's president for three decades, John Silber, was widely regarded as an SOB (and as the person who took BU from safety school to a match for NYU and George Washington). Cornell's dean of students, Kent Hubbell, is more low key, as is Cornell's public face at a lot of sports events, Susan Murphy, VP of Student and Academic Services, who is more involved in quiet pursuits such as expanding Gannett Clinic. If Ken Dryden '70 was in the building, that would have been nice to have shown him on the jumbotron (and what a high-res image those screens provided). Maybe Matt Moulson could have done a shout-out from the Prudential Center in Newark where he was playing with visiting Buffalo.

Any chance of getting Murphy, or even better, Andy Noel to swim in the East River? twak

Posted by: MattShaf (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 01, 2013 09:33PM

The ice was very soft. Not sure if that was a result of the Rangers game in the afternoon prior to the CU v. BU game or just due to the fact that the Garden ice is 5 stories above ground and always sucks a little more than other NHL rinks that host a multitude of events.

We were in 210 row 11 and couldn't believe that the shot on the 5v3 didn't go in. We heard absolutely no ping from a post or crossbar. But given that Shafer didn't blow an aneurysm on the bench and that others on this forum have stated that the puck hit the post we will accept that outcome (but I'd sure like to see a replay of the shot).

As for those that say that this game has lost a little jazz I would agree. BU did not even come close to selling out there section of seats (regardless of the reported attendance). Additionally, the scalpers and ticket brokers have been trying to bend some fans over by buying up tickets and attempt to raise prices the last few years, which might be keeping the marginal fan away. FWIW, we were able to buy tickets last minute from StubHub at under face value.

Hoping we can show a little more finish the rest of the year and make some noise in the post season. THe talent is there to make a run.

LGR,
Matt Shafiroff

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 01, 2013 09:34PM

ebilmes
Also, am I the only one confused as to why Iles stayed on the ice for the start of the final powerplay? With 6x4, would we really have been so concerned about BU gaining possession and skating it out for an ENG? It wasn't like Iles went directly to the bench once we had possession; he stayed on for :40 of that powerplay. If the linesman hadn't blown the icing call against BU that forced Iles back out for the faceoff, we could have had close to :60 with the extra skater.

I thought it made sense. You're not concerned about them skating it out, but you are concerned about a team that can ice the puck with no repercussions. My interpretation was that with nearly 2 minutes left, Schafer figured he'd have a go at it for a shift or two with the man advantage, without risking an empty net. Then, at the more traditional 60-80 seconds remaining, he pulled Iles.

Posted by: BMac (---.smartleaf.com)
Date: December 02, 2013 10:34AM

From Adam's writeup on CHN:

Adam Wodon (on CHN)
"For whatever reason, a lot of the passes that went to the seam, our guys refused to shoot one-timers and force it to the net," Schafer said. "It's almost like they were looking to be perfect and they just refused to (shoot). And when they start doing that, they hesitate too much. ... But their goaltender played well, we hit a couple crossbars, and some nights that happens."

Posted by: Towerroad (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: December 02, 2013 11:21AM

Swampy
billhoward
David Harding

Any chance of getting Murphy, or even better, Andy Noel to swim in the East River? twak

I will chip in for some weights.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: December 02, 2013 12:05PM

BMac

Adam Wodon (on CHN)
"For whatever reason, a lot of the passes that went to the seam, our guys refused to shoot one-timers and force it to the net," Schafer said. "It's almost like they were looking to be perfect and they just refused to (shoot). And when they start doing that, they hesitate too much."

So what else is new.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.customer.alter.net)
Date: December 02, 2013 12:38PM

BMac

Adam Wodon (on CHN)
"For whatever reason, a lot of the passes that went to the seam, our guys refused to shoot one-timers and force it to the net," Schafer said. "It's almost like they were looking to be perfect and they just refused to (shoot). And when they start doing that, they hesitate too much. ... But their goaltender played well, we hit a couple crossbars, and some nights that happens."
Thank you for posting this: maybe some of the anti-"SHOOOOT!" criticism will die down now. (Not that I do that because I know they can't hear me anyway, but sometimes it's just clear the guys need to shoot more.)

Posted by: MattS (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2013 12:52PM

billhoward
Now there's a Kelly-Harkness Cup (named in that order based on the outcome of the 2013 game) which suggests there'll be an ongoing series. But are some fans getting a little weary of the series? There were more empty seats than ever before. Two sections behind the BU-defended goal (1st and 3rd) were less than half full and I hope those were BU sections. Even so, if there were 2,500 empty seats, that's still a good turnout.

I am. But that is because I hate traveling to, around, and from NYC.

Date: December 02, 2013 12:54PM

David Harding
Did the ice seem soft? There seemed to me more spontaneous falls than I expect and the crew came out with shovels during every commercial time-out to scrape up shavings.

MSG ice is (or at least was pre-renovation) notorious in the NHL for having the worst ice of any rink.

Date: December 02, 2013 01:05PM

Kyle Rose
BMac

Adam Wodon (on CHN)
Thank you for posting this: maybe some of the anti-"SHOOOOT!" criticism will die down now. (Not that I do that because I know they can't hear me anyway, but sometimes it's just clear the guys need to shoot more.)
I still think it's dumb to yell "shoot!" but in keeping with my deference to all things Schafer, I confess I was wrong. In this case.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.d.usd.edu)
Date: December 02, 2013 01:14PM

Trotsky
Kyle Rose
BMac

Adam Wodon (on CHN)
I still think it's dumb to yell "shoot!" but in keeping with my deference to all things Schafer, I confess I was wrong. In this case.

It was pretty embarrassing to bring my dad to a Lynah game and have him turn out to be a "SHOOT!" yeller.

The power play's been good enough this year that one hesitation-filled game doesn't worry me. I'm willing to blame the ice.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.customer.alter.net)
Date: December 02, 2013 01:27PM

Dafatone
The power play's been good enough this year that one hesitation-filled game doesn't worry me. I'm willing to blame the ice.
The ice BU was skating on was a lot better, for sure.

Posted by: css228 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2013 01:54PM

MattS
David Harding

MSG ice is (or at least was pre-renovation) notorious in the NHL for having the worst ice of any rink.
I guess we're not counting the Florida teams as NHL anymore. Still MSG is by far the worst of any team in a climate where expecting good ice is reasonable.

Date: December 02, 2013 03:10PM

css228
MattS
David Harding

I guess we're not counting the Florida teams as NHL anymore. Still MSG is by far the worst of any team in a climate where expecting good ice is reasonable.

God I hate nickpickers. I will rephrase my statement...MSG ice is one of, if not the worst ice in the NHL. This statement is based upon articles I have read where the article is based upon polls taken of current NHL players when said article was written. I do not know if during the renovation of MSG, the root cause that made the ice surface considered to be one of the worst was fixed.

Date: December 02, 2013 03:18PM

Trotsky
Kyle Rose
BMac

Adam Wodon (on CHN)
Definitely wrong in this case. It was infuriating how perfect an opportunity had to be when BU wasn't even very good at clearing rebounds.

One other thing that drove me nuts: all three goals were passes through (or almost through) the crease tapped in at the far post. Iles could have gotten a stick on at least two if not all three of the passes. Am I alone in thinking that he was relying too much on his defensemen to mark the scorers and keep them from receiving the pass? BU had almost no offense aside from the defensive breakdowns that led to the first two goals, and with the defense playing catch-up I was surprised Iles wasn't more aggressive in getting in the passing lane.

Date: December 02, 2013 05:42PM

ugarte
Trotsky
Kyle Rose
BMac

Adam Wodon (on CHN)
Definitely wrong in this case. It was infuriating how perfect an opportunity had to be when BU wasn't even very good at clearing rebounds.

One other thing that drove me nuts: all three goals were passes through (or almost through) the crease tapped in at the far post. Iles could have gotten a stick on at least two if not all three of the passes. Am I alone in thinking that he was relying too much on his defensemen to mark the scorers and keep them from receiving the pass? BU had almost no offense aside from the defensive breakdowns that led to the first two goals, and with the defense playing catch-up I was surprised Iles wasn't more aggressive in getting in the passing lane.

It is still pretty dumb to yell shoot. That is unless you're the coach, hopefully they respond to them. The goalies primary job is to take care of the shooter, the defense should cover the others. Yes, he can help himself by intercepting passes, but that's an extra. The rest of the team let him down, just look at Buckles holding his head when his man got the backdoor goal. Hopefully it's a learning opportunity.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: December 02, 2013 06:04PM

Jim Hyla
It is still pretty dumb to yell shoot. That is unless you're the coach,
Yep. especially since most fans seem to yell it even when there's a defender in the lane right in front of the puck carrier when taking a shot would very likely result in an odd man rush the other way. Or else they just yell continuously like some idiot kid yelling "PIX!" over and over into the phone.

Date: December 02, 2013 06:06PM

Jim Hyla
ugarte
Trotsky
Kyle Rose
BMac

Adam Wodon (on CHN)

It is still pretty dumb to yell shoot. That is unless you're the coach, hopefully they respond to them. The goalies primary job is to take care of the shooter, the defense should cover the others. Yes, he can help himself by intercepting passes, but that's an extra. The rest of the team let him down, just look at Buckles holding his head when his man got the backdoor goal. Hopefully it's a learning opportunity.
As to yelling "shoot" - I've said worse things in frustration. It can get a little ridiculous, but then, the way we were holding the puck was pretty ridiculous too. I mean, if we can yell "you suck" at a guy playing hockey at a top D-I program, yelling "SHOOT" after a 20 second cycle doesn't seem so crazy. (I don't yell "shoot" - I'm more a "GIVE ME A F'ING BREAK!" guy.)

Re: Iles, this isn't so much about "blame" (since there is enough of that to go around on the goals) but about what a goalie should do. I've watched enough soccer to know that goalies will intercept crosses if they come too close. Iles had the advantage of putting a stick into the passing lane but seemed to suffer from the same thing that bedeviled Cornell forwards: the stick is never on the ice when the puck is.

Date: December 02, 2013 06:51PM

ugarte
Jim Hyla
ugarte
Trotsky
Kyle Rose
BMac

Adam Wodon (on CHN)

As to yelling "shoot" - I've said worse things in frustration. It can get a little ridiculous, but then, the way we were holding the puck was pretty ridiculous too. I mean, if we can yell "you suck" at a guy playing hockey at a top D-I program, yelling "SHOOT" after a 20 second cycle doesn't seem so crazy. (I don't yell "shoot" - I'm more a "GIVE ME A F'ING BREAK!" guy.)

Re: Iles, this isn't so much about "blame" (since there is enough of that to go around on the goals) but about what a goalie should do. I've watched enough soccer to know that goalies will intercept crosses if they come too close. Iles had the advantage of putting a stick into the passing lane but seemed to suffer from the same thing that bedeviled Cornell forwards: the stick is never on the ice when the puck is.

Not to drag this out forever, but I went back and looked at the goals, and I think Iles was playing them as he should have. The first goal pass was way out from the crease. If he was in position to stop that pass, he would have been way open for a shot inside the post. The second goal could have been tipped in by either of 2 BU players, or our defense. The third one was an unfortunate redirection by Lewis, Jason said Willcox, but I think not as he was much too high, near the top of the circle, when there were 2 BU men down low. The redirection went right to a BU player who passed to the open man. Two of those goals were directly related to our not backchecking correctly.

Date: October 03, 2014 02:32PM

Screw BU, but good article: An American Player Who Can Do It All, Except Vote
[www.nytimes.com]

Ugh, and this: at least CU gets an honorable mention. 2014 College Hockey Recruiting Class Rankings:
[overtheboards.net]

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: October 06, 2014 01:30PM

jeff '84
Screw BU, but good article: An American Player Who Can Do It All, Except Vote
[www.nytimes.com]

Ugh, and this: at least CU gets an honorable mention. 2014 College Hockey Recruiting Class Rankings:
[overtheboards.net]

I read the entire article wondering what quirk would prevent him from voting in the US before I relaized that it was simply that he was too young.

Don't worry, I have my mornng coffee now.coffee

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login