Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

YUCK...WE LOST

Posted by LGR31 
YUCK...WE LOST
Posted by: LGR31 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 15, 2002 09:30PM

How can we lose to DARTMOUTH so many times? YUCK! yark

Re: YUCK...WE LOST
Posted by: JordanCS (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 15, 2002 09:39PM

DAMNIT!!! Why the hell can't we beat these guys? It's not like Nick Boucher is a superhuman goalie. He had over 3 GAA coming into the game, yet he stands on his head against us. We outplay them almost the whole game, and somehow, we lose. Gotta hope we don't meet them in the playoffs. On the other hand, I'm almost glad the Red lost one before the playoffs began. If we had swept the remaining games, I'd be really nervous. A 16 game win streak could have led to major overconfidence in the playoffs, which is the wrong time to have it. Let's hope for a 5 game win streak to finish off the RS, and hope that we don't meet the Green in Placid. Or if we do, that we finally exact revenge on them.

Well, in the Ivy race, we have 13 points, Dartmouth has 11. If they lose to either Princeton or Yale next week, we still get half the Ivy title, and if they go L-T or L-L, we win outright.

LGR....kick some Catamount butt tomorrow!

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dial.spiritone.com)
Date: February 15, 2002 09:39PM

Because Dartmouth has played very well against us, and when they haven't quite been at our level, Nick Boucher has been the difference.

It happens. Don't unload the bandwagon quite yet.

Date: February 15, 2002 09:42PM

If it makes anybody feel better (and hey it might), with Herrington and Maturo gone after this year, and Byrne and Boucher after next year, Dartmouth isn't going anywhere but back down to the bottom.

Posted by: jnachod (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 16, 2002 12:01AM

According to the Bradley Terry ratings (http://slack.net/~whelan/tbrw/2002/ecac.rrwp.shtml) we had an 81.3% chance of beating Dartmouth in any given game. Furthermore, we were expected to have 1.7 scoring points against us for the rest of the regular season, and we got 2 tonight with the loss. Unfortunately, tonight happened to be one of Dartmouth's lucky days. Hopefully this will be it for the season.

Posted by: Dart~Ben (---.dartmouth.edu)
Date: February 16, 2002 01:36AM

If it makes you feel better you didn't really outplay Dartmouth as much as the shot totals would indicate, it's not that Cornell didn't play great but Dartmouth did as well. This was one the best college hockey game I've ever seen in person, both teams had their chances and couldn't convert until OT. Dartmouth had a few breakaways and odd-man rushes that your goalie stopped, while Cornell was pinching their D-men in and got more sustained pressure as well as having the better power play tonight (hence the higher shot total). Both teams hit a post, and both goalies had some absolute highway robbery saves (though Boucher probably had the best of the night). The reffing was consistent for most of the night, Dartmouth just got the break at the end when Cornell's shot couldn't trickle into the net before being swept away and brought it down and one icing later won it.

Comeon, we haven't even smelled the Ivy title in 20 years. Can't you let us have it once every 2 decades? ;-)

Good luck from here on out, at least til we meet again in Lake Placid. :-D

Posted by: Sarli (---.25.171.66.subscriber.vzavenue.net)
Date: February 16, 2002 03:05AM

No we (most of us anyway) went to Cornell. They do not teach us to share there. They assume falsely that we learned to share and accept defeat elsewhere. I have yet to learn.

The only good I see is that this loss may refocus our guys for the playoff run. I would rather a loss today then in placid. I think anyone will trade a loss at this point for a championship banner

Posted by: RichS (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 16, 2002 07:29AM

Perhaps they'll have some good recruits to replace these guys...ya never know! ;-)

Posted by: robb (---.152.234.181.dial1.dallas1.level3.net)
Date: February 16, 2002 08:41AM

Must you always look on the bright side? Can't we dream about Dartmouth going back where they belong? I would think that would be something that Clarkson and Cornell fans could agree on! :-P

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2002 09:56AM

If it makes you feel better you didn't really outplay Dartmouth as much as the shot totals would indicate
Yeah, it really would make us feel better to know we didn't play as well as we thought. We'd rather know we played worse and deserved to lose. God, do people really read their posts?

Anyway, it's nice to know that they have their sights set on the Ivy title, I'd rather shoot for the ECAC and beyond. I doubt the team looks at this loss as not winning the Ivy, but rather a lost opportunity on the road to the playoffs.

It reminds me of a saying attributed to Dryden, when I was in school. I don't know if it's true, but when asked why he didn't choose Princeton he said they were looking for the Ivy title and Ned was going for the NCAA. If anyone has better knowledge of it's truth please elaborate.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.utb.edu)
Date: February 16, 2002 09:57AM

Um, whatever. We still get an Ivy banner if Dartmouth slips up next weekend and we share the title with Dartmouth and/or Harvard. And of course the Ivies are nice, but the real prize is the Whitelaw Trophy, and no one has to share that.

The frustration at losing to Dartmouth is that they are the only ECAC team we didn't beat in the regular season this year. And we don't much care for their coach or their goalie.

Posted by: ugarte (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 16, 2002 10:20AM

Rough crowd here. He didn't even say anything obnoxious!

I don't actually hate Boucher. I just want to beat him like he's a rookie at a Fight Club. We better play them in LP to avenge this.

some numbered things
Posted by: jy3 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2002 10:32AM

the way I heard it was...
1. dartmouth played well. they had pressure on underhill and he made some great saves.
2. boucher was unbelievable. grady said many times that boucher made "game saving" stops. he made more of these than underhill mainly because cornell had more of these opportunity.
3. both team hit posts, dartmouth more than cornell.
4. although cornell was hitting, dartmouth stayed in the game and did not wear down.
5. the place seemed full of cu people, as well as dc people...
6. i dont know about u, but i dont play for the team so to say "we" seems strange to me.
7. a great game to listen to. very entertaining.
8. this loss hurts the team but it is not as bad as a loss at placid. i am sure if anyone could have picked a loss against a TUC, this one would be it considering we were already losing the comparison anyway...and a loss in the playoffs would be worse (knock on wood)
9. dc has cornells number, plain and simple. if i was on the team, i would want revenge but i would rather wait til next year...let them lose in playoffs before cornell would face them...
10. cornell only fell 2 spots in the computer that counts.
11. let us cheer for brown and 'gate to get and to stay above .500. as well as bama. that will help tremendously...
12. LGR! shake it off and learn from it, boys!

Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: February 16, 2002 10:44AM

During the '66-70 time period, I don't even remember the concept of Ivy title. The only standings anyone looked at were the ECAC (with BU, BC, Harvard and Clarkson the key competitors). Of course, even with the ECAC standings, it was usually a case of looking at the standings to see how 2 through 8 were shaping up When the NCAA's were held in the east. my freshman and senior years, I bought NCAA tickets very early. There was this quiet confidence that we weren't going to be stopped.

Even in those four years, we still manged to have 2 of our five loses against Ivy teams. Let's not get too down after the Dartmouth game, and let's hope that John LeClair's performance last night doesn't inspire the Catamounts too much tonight.

Re: some numbered things
Posted by: Graham '02 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2002 10:47AM

Well the last time we lost to Dartmouth we didn't lose again for over a month. Hopefully this loss will have the same effect .

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.mediaone.net)
Date: February 16, 2002 02:02PM

For what it's worth, Jim, two summers ago I asked Ned how he got Dryden away from Princeton (with the latter being part of the conversation). Ned said he told Ken that he should go to Princeton if he wanted to become the best goalie in the country at turning around and sweeping the puck out of his own net. Ken just laughed. True? Who knows.

Posted by: RedAR (---.harvard.edu)
Date: February 16, 2002 02:58PM

I've said this before, but think it's worth noting again.

We have not won in overtime this season. Now, our record is 0-3-1 in ot.

I know 4 games is a small sample, but 0-3-1 is not a pretty record.

Could it be because we are pressuring to get the gwg? Afterall, we only have 1 tie for the entire season thus far.

Could it be that we run out of gas? Not likely, cause we've had some last-minute-heroic wins as well.

Any thoughts?

Posted by: littleredfan (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 16, 2002 04:00PM

greg-
i wish it were the case that dartmouth is gonna plummet to the bottom...but it seems that they have a pretty decent recruiting class next year. in contrast, i feel that with the graduation of this year's junior class next year, we may be take a slight dip :`( lets hope that this year's national recognition boosts schafer's ability to recruit. incidentally, i think cornell and colgate are the only ECAC teams this year to NOT have any '06 recruit (so far) from the US. are we travel partners for canadian recruiting trips too? rolleyes

Posted by: LGR31 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2002 05:24PM

Well hopefully they can pull it together tonight and win....we got to beat Vermont, they suck! LET'S GO RED! laugh

Posted by: Melissa '01 (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2002 07:23PM

That record was exactly what was running through my head the last 5 min of third period and throughout OT. my apologies to all if this jinxed us. i know that the win streak couldn't go on indefinitely and that the team had to lose sometime ... just wish that it wasn't to Dartmouth - AGAIN!Good luck to Princeton and Yale next week-end! Kick some BIG GREEN butt!

Date: February 18, 2002 12:21AM

Don't worry Melissa, after becoming the victims of Dartmouth's first 4-point road weekend since 1980, I'm sure Yale and Princeton will give the Big Green 2 more W's and the Ivy Title this weekend.

BTW, apparently the celebration on Saturday after our come from behind win against Colgate got a little out of hand - the bench behind the visitor penalty box where most of the Dartmouth team's frat brothers sit is completely broken.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2002 12:26AM

Like I said before, if you can get that excited about beating CU & CU, then good luck;-) in the tournaments.

Posted by: GoBigRed '03 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2002 12:26AM

mmmmm...woofing...

Posted by: GoBigRed '03 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2002 12:29AM

But I do appreciate, Ben Flickinger, your relative objectivity on the rest of the board. You can have the Ivy, as long as we get to have the ECAC title.

Posted by: Ben Doyle 03 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2002 12:46AM

:-) Second that motion. . .all in favor? :-)
I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I. . .laugh

Appears the I's have it. . .motion passed.

Date: February 18, 2002 09:48AM

well, since you only need one win or for us to lose once, and we have that whole North Country trip coming up, I think I'll have to concede you the ECAC title.

But definitely not Lake Placid. ;-)

Posted by: littleredfan (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 18, 2002 10:04AM

the "ECAC title" is won at lake placid. you are conceding to us the RS ECAC title, which means next to nothing actually.

Posted by: Keith K (---.lmco.com)
Date: February 18, 2002 10:27AM

...even though it should mean something....
(He says, unable to resist trying to stir up that old argument. Vic? :-) )

Date: February 18, 2002 11:08AM

I've always thought of Conference Champions as being the regular season winners and Conference Tournament Champions as the post-season winners, but that's just me.

Posted by: Keith K (---.lmco.com)
Date: February 18, 2002 11:46AM

Historically you'd be wrong, at least in the case of the ECAC. Champion is clearly the tourney winner. Made sense in the days before the split when there were no set schedules. It's not really fair to crown a conference champion based on disparate sets of games. Nowadays, with the home and home round robin I think the RS gives a better indication of best team and thus champion. My opinion of the tourney will drop further next year when even lowly Vermont would get in at #12.
Not that I don't want to win the tournament, mind you.
(Again, he tries to stir up the argument, just for fun...)

Date: February 18, 2002 11:54AM

I suppose so, but then I'm from Big 8 Country where even though it's U of Nebraska or U of Oklahoma they go by NU and OU (and MU, KU, and CU) and where the banners read Big 8 Champion and Big 8 Tournament Champions. So as I said, maybe it's just me.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (206.254.3.---)
Date: February 18, 2002 12:59PM

Actually, I think performance in the regular season will, on the whole, mean more next year. Even though nothing will be required to make the playoffs, all but the top four teams will have to win two playoff series (at least one of them on the road against a rested opponent) to even make it to Lake Placid, where the ECAC Championship will be decided.

RS v PS
Posted by: Greg Berge (---.metro1.com)
Date: February 18, 2002 01:53PM

Also, we will hopefully see expansion to a 16 team NCAA field starting as early as next year. That means the NCAA PWR Line will move from its current 10/11 position down to 13/14 -- adding perhaps 1 more ECAC team per year (in normal seasons, ECAC teams clump in the mid-teens in PWR).

Posted by: RichS (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 18, 2002 06:53PM

It's not that I'm looking on the bright side...there has rarely been a dark side for Clarkson against the Big Green....until this year when the first game was a 3-3 tie. All time, Tech is now 56-15-4 and an even more dominant 21-3-3 in the Morris years.

Its possible that this years rematch on March 2 could decide 2nd place...or third...or 4th...and if your pal Nickky stands on his head at Cheel...oooh boy!
rolleyes

Posted by: nshapiro (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 18, 2002 10:14PM

The Ivy Title definitely meant something when it was the Ivy division of the ECAC Conference (Late 70's until the Hockey East departure). It meant one of the top 3 seeds in the ECAC tournament that had 8 participants from a 17 team league.

And now....feeling perfectly free to use "We" for Cornell:

I dont know if we have lost to Dartmouth twice in one season since 1980, but in 1980 we lost to them THREE times...and still won the game that mattered. We lost 2 regular season games, and the NCAA consolation game...but we won the ECAC Championship. I guess it all worked out, because apparently Dartmouth really treasures that Ivy title, and we dont really miss it, considering the ECAC one we got that year.

Date: February 18, 2002 11:39PM

Hey, after being the league doormat for 20 years, any title is a cherished one, Ivy or ECAC or otherwise.

Date: February 19, 2002 02:37AM

If Dartmouth can sweep this weekend and win the Ivy title, then they've earned it, having swept Cornell. I'd love to see them trip up and share the title -- it's always nice to get another banner.

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.digicomp.com)
Date: February 19, 2002 09:49AM

The Ivy Title definitely meant something when it was the Ivy division of the ECAC Conference (Late 70's until the Hockey East departure). It meant one of the top 3 seeds in the ECAC tournament that had 8 participants from a 17 team league.

The winner of the ECAC's Ivy region wasn't necessarily the Ivy League title winner, although I think they differed only once. In the 1980-81 season, Cornell was the top team in the Ivy region with a 12-9-1 record (over Yale's 11-9-1 -- boy, scheduling must have been a blast in those days) and won the home-ice seed (at #4) that went with winning the region. However, in games played between the Ivies -- which is what determines the Ivy League title -- Yale was the top team.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login