Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Andy Iles by the numbers

Posted by Give My Regards 
Andy Iles by the numbers
Posted by: Give My Regards (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 27, 2013 07:38AM

I did this a few years ago at the start of Ben Scrivens' senior year, when it looked like he had a good chance at breaking a number of Cornell career goaltending records. Scriven wound up with almost all of the career records, and now it appears that Andy Iles has a shot at a lot of them. Consider the following (stats compiled from TBRW and College Hockey Stats):

Games Playd in Goal: The current record is 117, by Ben Scrivens
Iles is at 89

Games Started: 113 -- Ben Scrivens
Iles: 88

Consecutive Games Started: 104 -- Ben Scrivens
Iles: 72 (the last game Iles didn't start was the 2011 ECAC semifinal against Dartmouth)

Minutes Played: 6710:02 -- Ben Scrivens
Iles: 5376:39

Saves: 2872 -- Ben Scrivens
Iles: 2277 (he had 898 last year and 870 as a sophomore)

Wins: 78 -- Ken Dryden (1966-69)
Iles: 44 (OK, this one's not happening, but a very good season could move him into second place, currently 65 by Ben Scrivens and David McKee)

Ties: 13 -- Ben Scrivens and David McKee
Iles: 12

And the one I really hope he doesn't get:

Losses: 39 -- John Detwiler (1957-60)
Iles: 32

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2013 07:40AM by Give My Regards.

Re: Andy Iles by the numbers
Posted by: rdez79 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: October 27, 2013 09:40PM

does this include this weekend? or just going into the season?

Posted by: LaJollaRed (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 27, 2013 10:17PM

What about shutouts?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 27, 2013 10:21PM

LaJollaRed
What about shutouts?
Iles has 8, Scrivens had 19.

If he gets very hot, third could be in reach.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: October 28, 2013 08:47AM

Give My Regards
Iles: 44 (OK, this one's not happening, but a very good season could move him into second place, currently 65 by Ben Scrivens and David McKee)

I assume you meant that it was highly unlikely to happen, but in case you didn't, going by my math it's certainly possible. 27 regular season games remaining, and the potential for as many as 8 post-season wins if we win all or almost all of those 27.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2013 08:47AM by Beeeej.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: October 28, 2013 12:53PM

Beeeej
Give My Regards

I assume you meant that it was highly unlikely to happen, but in case you didn't, going by my math it's certainly possible. 27 regular season games remaining, and the potential for as many as 8 post-season wins if we win all or almost all of those 27.

Ok, all is forgiven if we get 35 more wins and he breaks Dryden's record.

Posted by: Swampy (131.128.163.---)
Date: October 28, 2013 05:30PM

Jim Hyla
Beeeej
Give My Regards

Dryden is not the answer.

Date: October 28, 2013 11:09PM

rdez79
does this include this weekend? or just going into the season?

Totals include the UNO games.

Beeeej
Give My Regards

Yeah, I meant "not happening" in the sense of "highly HIGHLY unlikely", although if he and the Big Red do get to 37-0 I'll happily eat my words (and regurgitate them and eat them again).

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 28, 2013 11:10PM

Jim Hyla
Beeeej
Give My Regards

With the asterisk that Dryden got those wins in three years.

Date: October 28, 2013 11:59PM

I thought if he had gotten a few shutouts last year, he would have had a shot at that total too. Sits at 8 and I don't think he had any last year.

Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2013 10:30AM

Swampy
Jim Hyla
Beeeej
Give My Regards

Especially if the question is "Who was Cornell's goalie on the 1970 undefeated national championship team?"

Posted by: RichH (134.223.116.---)
Date: October 29, 2013 12:22PM

ACM
Swampy
Jim Hyla
Beeeej
Give My Regards

Especially if the question is "Who was Cornell's goalie on the 1970 undefeated national championship team?"

This is the perfect spot to say that I caught the UNO broadcast team talking about Cornell's two National Championships "won by a guy named Dryden." Over the weekend, they were very complimentary of our history and seemed like they were looking forward to visiting "the James Lynah Rink."

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2013 08:51PM

rdez79
I thought if he had gotten a few shutouts last year, he would have had a shot at that total too. Sits at 8 and I don't think he had any last year.

Two last year, and I think he lost another one or two in the final minute.

Date: October 30, 2013 08:04PM

ACM
Swampy

Bob Rule!

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2013 08:50PM

Give My Regards
ACM
Swampy

Bob Rule!

I almost forgot - we had two undefeated teams in 1970 and Bob Rule played on both, but he was a much better lacrosse goalie. Interestingly, his hockey save percentage (in three games, total 37 minutes) was only slightly better than his lacrosse save percentage (.786 v .756). He holds the Cornell record for best save percentage (.792) for the 1971 season.

Posted by: LaJollaRed (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 30, 2013 09:12PM

Thanks

Date: November 23, 2013 11:14PM

climbing the lists

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 24, 2013 02:22PM

George64
Give My Regards
ACM
Swampy

Bob Rule!

I almost forgot - we had two undefeated teams in 1970 and Bob Rule played on both, but he was a much better lacrosse goalie. Interestingly, his hockey save percentage (in three games, total 37 minutes) was only slightly better than his lacrosse save percentage (.786 v .756). He holds the Cornell record for best save percentage (.792) for the 1971 season.
"Bob Rule '71" is the answer to the trivia question, What Cornell goalie played on *two* national championship teams in two sports? He would also be the answer to what All-America goalie did not play in either title game - he wasn't about to beat out Brian Cropper in hockey and he got hurt in the playoffs and fortunately about the next best college lax goalie, Bob Buhmann, was Cornell's backup in 1971. IIRC, we beat Dom Starsia and Brown en route to the championship by 2 goals, vs. doubling Maryland 12-6 in the championship.

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: November 26, 2013 06:40PM

Consecutive starts streak ends at 80. Gillam with the start tonight.

Date: November 26, 2013 06:55PM

Chris '03
Wow.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 26, 2013 06:58PM

Chris '03

After Saturday I figured if Gilliam didn't get a start tonight, he probably wouldn't get one this year. Still a bit surprising, but it will be interesting to see how he performs.

Date: December 09, 2013 09:23PM

Saturday's Colgate game gives Andy a rather odd Cornell career record -- most ties, with 14.

Date: December 10, 2013 12:54AM

Give My Regards
Saturday's Colgate game gives Andy a rather odd Cornell career record -- most ties, with 14.
You play enough games, even a great goalie can set the record for most ties, and losses. Isn't Mike Schafer the coach with the most losses?

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 12, 2013 02:57PM

Good point Brodeur has the most NHL wins and losses: Accept it before it destroys you

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 16, 2013 08:53PM

RatushnyFan
Good point Brodeur has the most NHL wins and losses: Accept it before it destroys you
Cy Young: most wins, most losses.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: December 16, 2013 10:02PM

ugarte
RatushnyFan

I didn't know he played hockey!

Posted by: ugarte (207.239.110.---)
Date: December 17, 2013 09:12AM

Swampy
ugarte
RatushnyFan

They called it hockey when he played, with an onion on his belt, which was the style at the time.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.customer.alter.net)
Date: December 17, 2013 10:17AM

ugarte
Swampy
ugarte
RatushnyFan

They called it hockey when he played, with an onion on his belt, which was the style at the time.
In those days, pucks had pictures of bees on 'em. "Three bees for a hat trick" you'd say. Now where was I?

Posted by: rdez79 (---.lightspeed.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 17, 2014 10:59PM

Tied McKee for games played at 102

Date: February 01, 2014 10:02PM

Third straight season with 20+ GP.

Date: February 24, 2014 09:03PM

Updating a bit:

Andy is now tied with Ben Scrivens for most games started by a Cornell goaltender, with 113. He got the career minutes-played record early in the 2/15 game against RPI and now has a career total of 6887:06. Andy also got the career saves record in the first period of last Friday's game at Quinnipiac and now has a career total of 2929.

He is also tied with John Detwiler for most career losses, with 39 (although Detwiler accomplished his mark in three seasons).

Posted by: KeithK (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 25, 2014 12:30AM

Give My Regards
He is also tied with John Detwiler for most career losses, with 39 (although Detwiler accomplished his mark in three seasons).
May he finish his career tied!

Posted by: ithacat (---.cbs.cornell.edu)
Date: February 25, 2014 09:28AM

Give My Regards
Updating a bit:

Andy is now tied with Ben Scrivens for most games started by a Cornell goaltender, with 113. He got the career minutes-played record early in the 2/15 game against RPI and now has a career total of 6887:06. Andy also got the career saves record in the first period of last Friday's game at Quinnipiac and now has a career total of 2929.

I'm confused by Andy's saves total. If I add up his stats from Cornell's site I get 2864, which must be the source used by the Ithaca Journal staffer:

IJ
On Friday, junior defenseman Joakim Ryan and Ferlin scored the goals in support of Iles, who stands nine saves shy of the school’s all-time record of 2,873 set by 2010 graduate Ben Scrivens.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 25, 2014 09:47AM

ithacat
I'm confused by Andy's saves total. If I add up his stats from Cornell's site I get 2864, which must be the source used by the Ithaca Journal staffer:

IJ
On Friday, junior defenseman Joakim Ryan and Ferlin scored the goals in support of Iles, who stands nine saves shy of the school’s all-time record of 2,873 set by 2010 graduate Ben Scrivens.

Your numbers agree with collegehockeystats.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2014 09:47AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.atc-nycorp.com)
Date: February 25, 2014 01:54PM

ithacat

Yeah, I managed to jump the gun a bit -- I forgot that the numbers at the beginning of this thread are from two games into the season. 2864 is the correct number for saves, and Andy currently has 111 career starts, two short of Scrivens' record. Andy does have the minutes-played record, at 6767:16.

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: February 25, 2014 01:54PM

KeithK
Give My Regards
...and healthy!

(The Hockey Gods are a devious lot. Be careful what you ask for.)

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 25, 2014 02:30PM

Roy 82
KeithK
Give My Regards
...and healthy!

Yeah,. I thought of that once I hit "Post" but figured I'd leave it.

Date: February 25, 2014 02:50PM

Roy 82
KeithK
Give My Regards
...and healthy!

Not devious. Just very, very literal.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 28, 2014 10:52PM

Iles is CU's saves leader and nominated for the Richter Award.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2014 12:18AM

Jim Hyla

I know I'm going to get pounded by Rangers fans here, but can I propose that we never call it that? Considering he was never a dominant enough collegiate goaltender, that's a sham of an award name.

Date: March 01, 2014 12:57AM

RichH
Jim Hyla

I know I'm going to get pounded by Rangers fans here, but can I propose that we never call it that? Considering he was never a dominant enough collegiate goaltender, that's a sham of an award name.

#1 Richter does has college cred, though.

#2 Fuck the Rangers.

#3 Actually, I don't mind the Rangers at all and root for them when the Isles are eliminated, which is early and often. I fail at fan hated (I don't even mind Harvard, except tonight).
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2014 12:59AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2014 01:06AM

Trotsky

Huh? I quote this article.

"Richter’s career statistics with the Badgers — 33-25-1, 3.71 goals against average, 89.1 save ratio — don’t leap off the page compared to other high-profile contemporaries at UW such as Marc Behrend (two NCAA titles), Curtis Joseph (91.9 career save percentage) or Brian Elliott (16 shutouts)."

He played 2 seasons, and was not even near the top goaltenders at his school. How does he come CLOSE to being in the same breath of deserving the naming honor of the award for the best collegiate goaltender in the nation??

Date: March 01, 2014 01:09AM

RichH
Trotsky

Huh? I quote this article.

"Richter’s career statistics with the Badgers — 33-25-1, 3.71 goals against average, 89.1 save ratio — don’t leap off the page compared to other high-profile contemporaries at UW such as Marc Behrend (two NCAA titles), Curtis Joseph (91.9 career save percentage) or Brian Elliott (16 shutouts)."

He played 2 seasons, and was not even near the top goaltenders at his school. How does he come CLOSE to being in the same breath of deserving the naming honor of the award for the best collegiate goaltender in the nation??

I meant it in a backdoor way (don't get excited) that he worked out with the team and was goalie coach during the lockout unless I am completely hallucinating which is, sadly, possible.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2014 02:39PM

RichH
Jim Hyla

I'm a Rangers fan and I can't argue with you. It'd be better as the Ryan Miller Award, assuming Dryden is off the table.

Posted by: arugula (---.ny.subnet.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 04, 2014 02:18PM

It would make more sense as the Leneveu award or the Terreri award if we need a Richter era name if we're talking strictly college performance, but it actually has other components-scholastic, community, etc.

Date: March 04, 2014 03:03PM

Another fun Iles statistic, derived from looking at the ECAC record book. He ties for 4th all-time with 78 conference games by a goalie (12 as a frosh and 22 in each of the next three seasons).

Date: March 17, 2014 12:36PM

That was Andy's 9th shutout, and his first in an elimination game.

It was only the second 1-0 shutout by a Cornell goaltender in an elimination game. The first was Dryden's 1967 NCAA SF masterpiece against North Dakota. Corrie d'Alessio gets an honorable mention for his total goals series-clinching 0-0 shutout at Clarkson in the 1989 QF.

In Andy's two career shutouts of Clarkson Cornell has scored 1 goal in 137:32, so the combined GAA of all goaltenders in those games is 0.22

Now that's Cornell hockey.

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.atc-nycorp.com)
Date: March 17, 2014 03:57PM

Trotsky
Corrie d'Alessio gets an honorable mention for his total goals series-clinching 0-0 shutout at Clarkson in the 1989 QF.

Only because I believe the two-game-total-goals series to be the stupidest format ever, I have to point out that that wasn't what the ECAC quarterfinals were back then -- they were a best-of-two-with-a-dumbass-minigame-if-needed series, the second-stupidest format ever.

Date: March 17, 2014 04:02PM

Give My Regards
Trotsky
Corrie d'Alessio gets an honorable mention for his total goals series-clinching 0-0 shutout at Clarkson in the 1989 QF.

Only because I believe the two-game-total-goals series to be the stupidest format ever, I have to point out that that wasn't what the ECAC quarterfinals were back then -- they were a best-of-two-with-a-dumbass-minigame-if-needed series, the second-stupidest format ever.
Shit, you're right. I had forgotten that.

My hatred of the mini-game isn't helped by us having lost the only one we ever played. We also lost all the total goals NCAA series we ever played (NMU and Denver). Stupid formats are stupid.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2014 04:04PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2014 05:12PM

Trotsky
We also lost all the total goals NCAA series we ever played (NMU and Denver).

And split games in both those series!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2014 06:04PM by andyw2100.

Date: March 17, 2014 05:20PM

And were leading in total goals halfway through the second Denver game, with the winner slated to play Harvard in Providence.

Oh, what might have been.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: March 17, 2014 05:36PM

Give My Regards
Trotsky

But that was the most exciting 0-0 game I've seen. Even more than yesterday. We knew 0-0 would be enough, Clarkson needed a win. The only question was if, or when, they would pull their goalie in a tie game. Then celebrate when we got the tie. The only bad part was sitting in the old Walker Arena. Maybe Cheel doesn't have a great hockey feel, but Walker was just terrible.

Posted by: rdez79 (---.man.east.myfairpoint.net)
Date: March 31, 2014 03:00PM

What are the final results?

Date: March 31, 2014 03:21PM

rdez79

Here.

Some settling may occur, but these are derived from my records.

Date: March 31, 2014 06:24PM

Trotsky
rdez79

Here.

Some settling may occur, but these are derived from my records.

And 117 games started, also a Cornell record for goaltenders. The only game Andy appeared in but didn't start was his first game in a Cornell uniform, against New Hampshire on 10/29/2010, a 7-4 loss in which he played the last 13 minutes.

Date: April 01, 2014 12:48AM

3000 saves would have been cool. Finished with 2988

Date: April 01, 2014 06:39AM

rdez79

...damn UMass game...

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 01, 2014 10:02AM

rdez79
It's the system.

Date: April 01, 2014 10:09AM

It is remarkable to me that we have had essentially just 3 goaltenders in the last 11 seasons (except for one year of Troy Davenport).

It's similar to the Dryden-Cropper-Elenbaas years.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2014 10:12AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: April 01, 2014 12:26PM

Give My Regards
rdez79

...damn UMass game...

You're assuming we would've allowed UMass at least twelve shots on goal.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: rdez79 (---.man.east.myfairpoint.net)
Date: April 01, 2014 02:36PM

the UMass game or the consolation game. Take your pick!

Date: April 01, 2014 02:49PM

rdez79
the UMass game or the consolation game. Take your pick!
I'll bet Gillam would have played the UMass game.

OTOH, if we hadn't lost the middle game to Dartmouth he wouldn't even have gotten close...

Posted by: rdez79 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 12, 2014 11:08PM

Where do you think the "Answer" plays next year? ECHL, AHL, or MBA grad school?

Date: April 13, 2014 07:33AM

Iles' most important number is currently 3.78. Bankroll his startup.

Posted by: Dutchman (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 19, 2014 05:06PM

"Iles recently concluded a storied career with his hometown Big Red by going 16-10-5 with a 2.17 goals-against average and .919 percentage — of which the latter two numbers tie career-bests. He was named the Ivy League Player of the Year, ECAC Hockey Student-Athlete of the Year, a Senior CLASS Award First Team All-American, an All-Ivy League First Team selection and an All-ECAC Hockey Second Team selection. Iles started 101 of the Big Red's last 102 games and had the had the third-longest consecutive start streak in NCAA Division I history (80). He won ECAC Hockey Goaltender of the Week honors three times, pushing his career total to nine. Iles also had nine career shutouts, with the final one coming in the deciding Game 3 of the ECAC Hockey Championship quarterfinal series against Clarkson, which the Big Red won in overtime, 1-0.

In the penultimate game of the regular season, Iles broke the program's all-time saves record held by Ben Scrivens. He is also in the program's top 10 for tie (first, 17), wins (fourth, 58), shutouts (tied for fifth, nine), goals-against average (sixth, 2.25) and save percentage (.918, eighth). At the team's postseason banquet, Iles won the Wendell & Francelia Earle Award, which is presented annually to the top student in each class. Iles also won Cornell's Bill Doran Sportsmanship Award for a second straight season and the Mark Weiss Memorial Award, which is awarded to a senior with a career-long dedication and passion for the sport of hockey. Shortly after Cornell's season ending, Iles signed a professional contract with the ECHL's Florida Everblades."

[www.ivyleaguesports.com]

A real tribute to Cornell and ECAC hockey

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: May 20, 2014 07:39AM

But he's not the answer.

crazy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login