Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Bardreau is ?

Posted by Chris '03 
Bardreau is ?
Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: January 22, 2013 06:11PM

Is apparently done for the year.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2014 06:21PM by Chris '03.

Re: Bardreau
Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: January 22, 2013 06:15PM

I know he was down on the ice after the hit that Burgdoerfer got the 5+game on, but he seemed to get up fairly quickly and skate off under his own power. He returned to the game in the 2nd, and was on the ice for Lowry's goal in the last minute in the 3rd.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2013 06:39PM by RichH.

Date: January 22, 2013 06:26PM

He fractured his neck. Yikes.

Posted by: cbuckser (134.186.175.---)
Date: January 22, 2013 06:29PM

Chris '03

Cole Bardreau missed only one shift.

Jon Merrill suffered the same injury in an October exhibition game. He missed three months.

Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: January 22, 2013 06:42PM

cbuckser
Chris '03

Jon Merrill suffered the same injury in an October exhibition game. He missed three months.

Scary. Very scary. Here is hoping that he recovers without any complications.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 22, 2013 07:58PM

cbuckser
Chris '03

Cole's lucky as hell. Presumably there was some sort of numbing that masked the seriousness of the injury, because if you fracture your neck and feel it and go out on the next shift, you're not a hero, you're an idiot.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 22, 2013 08:01PM

There were at least 2 hits from behind at the boards that weren't called before this one. One has to wonder if those had been called. It also didn't look like they were going to impose the misconduct at first. Does the ECAC look at this further or am I being too homerish?

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 22, 2013 08:31PM

Wishing him a full recovery including a return to hockey. Such a tough deal for such a positive guy.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 22, 2013 08:58PM

Trotsky
cbuckser
Chris '03

Cole's lucky as hell. Presumably there was some sort of numbing that masked the seriousness of the injury, because if you fracture your neck and feel it and go out on the next shift, you're not a hero, you're an idiot.

There are a lot of possibilities of type of fracture. Obiously some are scary, but some are more benign. Knowing the type of neck brace would help. The usual soft collar implies not so serious. You could fracture a transverse process and not play, but also not worry so much. Some fractures don't imply an unstable spine, and thus not worry of severing the spinal cord. I suspect the latter and it will take weeks to heal just like any other fracture. A fracture like that would cause pain, but not necessarily any neurological symptoms. So, he says he feels OK, they don't find anything neurologic, and he plays. The pain persists, or worsens over a day or two, they say let's get an XRay, and guess what you've got a fracture. If he had fractured his leg, he'd not likely be back either.

Posted by: Jerseygirl (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 22, 2013 09:03PM

Jim Hyla
There were at least 2 hits from behind at the boards that weren't called before this one. One has to wonder if those had been called. It also didn't look like they were going to impose the misconduct at first. Does the ECAC look at this further or am I being too homerish?

Maybe a liiiiiittle homerish? My untrained eyes saw one or two hitting from behinds committed by CU guys that weren't called last weekend; I just thought Union and RPI were being chippy in general. Having not watched a live Cornell game in *cough* several years *cough* my first thought was that an increased focus in general on preventing/treating concussions would lead to more penalties being called. That's why I figured the misconduct was applied in this instance; Bardreau probably picked up a concussion as well.

He's fun to watch. Let's hope he has a speedy, smooth recovery.

Posted by: BMac (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 22, 2013 10:02PM

This freaking sucks. Poor guy. Talk about good year/bad year. (gold medal/injury)

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 23, 2013 12:02PM

RichH
I know he was down on the ice after the hit that Burgdoerfer got the 5+game on, but he seemed to get up fairly quickly and skate off under his own power. He returned to the game in the 2nd, and was on the ice for Lowry's goal in the last minute in the 3rd.
Forgive me for just catching up, but... there's ANOTHER Burgdoerfer who's ALSO a cheap-shot artist? :-(

Posted by: flyersgolf (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 23, 2013 12:15PM

This hit was a dangerous hit and penalized correctly during the game. I do think some type of suspension is deserved to send a message to players about hitting from behind. At the same time the refs should have called more hitting from behind penalties over the weekend that they inexplicably did I not call. I also noticed Bardreau got a lot more attention as far as chippiness and attempted hits which I believe stem from his success in Russia. I believe Greg Burgdoerfer, though not a dirty player, knew who he was lining up and gave a little extra because it was Bardreau.

Because of the lack of hockey this year, I have seen more ecac games of other teams. Cornell is not the only team suffering from bad refereeing of their games. Across the league refereeing is not up to par to the level of hockey being played. Either there are not enough qualified refs or the ECAC does not pay well enough.

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: January 23, 2013 12:43PM

Josh '99
RichH
Forgive me for just catching up, but... there's ANOTHER Burgdoerfer who's ALSO a cheap-shot artist? :-(

First of all, they are brothers. Erik, a defenseman, graduated in 2010 and ammassed over 250 PIM over his career (including 108 in 2008-09). Greg, a forward, transferred from Air Force (having to sit out his brother's senior year). The two penalties he received on Saturday (the major + game misconduct) were only his 2nd and 3rd penalties all year. He receieved three minor penalties last season in 12 games. Not the goon his brother was.

I'll leave it up to our RPI friends to add anything to the playing styles of either.

Posted by: cbuckser (---.lightspeed.frokca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 23, 2013 12:52PM

Jim Hyla
Trotsky
cbuckser
Chris '03

There are a lot of possibilities of type of fracture. Obviously some are scary, but some are more benign. Knowing the type of neck brace would help. The usual soft collar implies not so serious. You could fracture a transverse process and not play, but also not worry so much. Some fractures don't imply an unstable spine, and thus not worry of severing the spinal cord. I suspect the latter and it will take weeks to heal just like any other fracture. A fracture like that would cause pain, but not necessarily any neurological symptoms. So, he says he feels OK, they don't find anything neurologic, and he plays. The pain persists, or worsens over a day or two, they say let's get an XRay, and guess what you've got a fracture.

Sometimes when you get an MRI for your cervical spine, you expect to find one thing and end up discovering a more serious condition. I speak from experience.

The Ithaca Journal article quoted Mike Schafer explaining that Cole did not feel pain from the injury during the game.

Date: January 23, 2013 01:03PM

RichH
Josh '99
RichH

First of all, they are brothers. Erik, a defenseman, graduated in 2010 and ammassed over 250 PIM over his career (including 108 in 2008-09). Greg, a forward, transferred from Air Force (having to sit out his brother's senior year). The two penalties he received on Saturday (the major + game misconduct) were only his 2nd and 3rd penalties all year. He receieved three minor penalties last season in 12 games. Not the goon his brother was.

I'll leave it up to our RPI friends to add anything to the playing styles of either.

At the risk of substantial thread drift, what are the rules when you transfer out of an academy? Do you have to make restitution for the years you were there? I presume you are released from military commitment? I also presume the school you go to can't make that payment?

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 23, 2013 01:51PM

RichH
Josh '99
RichH

Actually they are twin brothers. To me they look identical, but they may not be. Erik was a better hockey player. I don't regard either of them as a cheap-shot artist. Sorry. :)

By the way, I am dreading the trouble that RPI recruit Jimmy DeVito, who recently served a suspension for his sixth major penalty of the season, will get into. See for example

(DeVito gave up 3 inches and 22 pounds on that one [www.dropyourgloves.com].)

I recall that players who transfer out of a service academy have no obligation unless they have stayed for more than two years, but I could be wrong.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2013 01:58PM by ursusminor.

Posted by: Jerseygirl (---.207.252.64.snet.net)
Date: January 23, 2013 02:43PM

ursusminor
RichH
Josh '99
RichH

Actually they are twin brothers. To me they look identical, but they may not be. Erik was a better hockey player. I don't regard either of them as a cheap-shot artist. Sorry. :)

By the way, I am dreading the trouble that RPI recruit Jimmy DeVito, who recently served a suspension for his sixth major penalty of the season, will get into. See for example

I recall that players who transfer out of a service academy have no obligation unless they have stayed for more than two years, but I could be wrong.

So what you're saying is that there's still a yet-to-emerge third Burgdoerfer brother who is equally goonish yet childlike?

Date: January 23, 2013 03:01PM

Jerseygirl
So what you're saying is that there's still a yet-to-emerge third Burgdoerfer brother who is equally goonish yet childlike?
Actually, there is a third brother who is a goalie. In December 2007, I met Erik and Greg's father when RPI was playing in a tourney in Tampa. Somehow the conversation turned to why his wife wasn't there. It turned out that she was in Canada with the youngest child who was playing in tourney there. I wondered, but didn't ask, how he got the trip south in December while his wife went north. :)

I haven't found anything on line about the third Burgdoerfer, but I don't know his given name.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 23, 2013 03:19PM

ursusminor
Jerseygirl
Actually, there is a third brother who is a goalie. In December 2007, I met Erik and Greg's father when RPI was playing in a tourney in Tampa. Somehow the conversation turned to why his wife wasn't there. It turned out that she was in Canada with the youngest child who was playing in tourney there. I wondered, but didn't ask, how he got the trip south in December while his wife went north. :)

I haven't found anything on line about the third Burgdoerfer, but I don't know his given name.

Well, how goonish yet childlike could a goalie ever be...?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2013 03:20PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-192-7.myvzw.com)
Date: January 23, 2013 04:12PM

ursusminor
RichH
Josh '99
RichH

Looks like a Fridgen recruit.

Date: January 23, 2013 06:47PM

marty
Looks like a Fridgen recruit.

"Robert Gaudet? White courtesy telephone, please."

Date: January 23, 2013 09:25PM

All I can think of is our tribute to Erik Burgdorfer in 2009, when some buddies and I went to both Burger Kings in Ithaca and got stacks of the king crowns, then passed them out in sections a/b before the game.

BUUUURGER KIIIING, BUUUURGER KIIIING

Posted by: snert1288 (129.49.122.---)
Date: January 23, 2013 09:50PM

If I remember correctly one of the Cornell players had 2 goals in that game and I had visions of all those crowns flying onto the ice!

Date: January 24, 2013 06:47AM

snert1288
If I remember correctly one of the Cornell players had 2 goals in that game and I had visions of all those crowns flying onto the ice!
You remember correctly.

Date: January 24, 2013 07:21AM

Tweet from Seth Appert.

Date: January 24, 2013 09:47AM

ursusminor
Tweet from Seth Appert.
That was nice of him.

Posted by: munchkin (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2013 10:10PM

In regards to restitution to an Academy - if you leave before you take your Oath which is the beginning of Sophomore year. So you can only be there for one year without owing them anything. I got an appointment to Annapolis before deciding that I wanted a typical college experience, and came to Cornell, rather than such a structured one. And hey I still managed to become an officer in the end (Navy Nurse Corps).

Posted by: Jerseygirl (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 24, 2013 11:35PM

ursusminor
RichH
Josh '99
RichH

You could be wrong, but you're not.

Date: January 25, 2013 08:03AM

munchkin
In regards to restitution to an Academy - if you leave before you take your Oath which is the beginning of Sophomore year. So you can only be there for one year without owing them anything. I got an appointment to Annapolis before deciding that I wanted a typical college experience, and came to Cornell, rather than such a structured one. And hey I still managed to become an officer in the end (Navy Nurse Corps).

Hence the phrase "one and run," which IIRC used to be "two and screw."

Date: January 25, 2013 09:55AM

Jerseygirl
ursusminor
RichH
Josh '99
RichH

Munchkin stated that as soon as you start your second year, you owe them. Since I based what I wrote on my memory of an answer to a similar question elsewhere many years ago, I take her answer as more likely to be correct. Thus I was wrong. That is unless you are stating that I was correct and she was wrong. :) In any case, Greg B doesn't owe them money since the first year doesn't have to be repaid.

Posted by: Jerseygirl (---.207.252.64.snet.net)
Date: January 25, 2013 11:24AM

ursusminor
Jerseygirl
ursusminor
RichH
Josh '99
RichH

Munchkin stated that as soon as you start your second year, you owe them. Since I based what I wrote on my memory of an answer to a similar question elsewhere many years ago, I take her answer as more likely to be correct. Thus I was wrong. That is unless you are stating that I was correct and she was wrong. :) In any case, Greg B doesn't owe them money since the first year doesn't have to be repaid.

Right. This is a surprisingly difficult question for which to find a definitive, confirming answer online. My info is based on having had numerous friends going through West Point. In fact, both answers may be correct. With the exclusion of NROTC programs (and possibly USNA), it looks like recoupment is required if separation from the service academy/ROTC occurs after two years, not one. I don't know what your definition of "many years ago" is, but unless the change occurred within the last two years or so, I'm standing by the two-year answer. Now I am curious -- I still have some recent connections to USMA (my childhood neighbor/surrogate older brother is a graduate and served a teaching appointment in its history department from 2009-2012, for one), so maybe I'll shoot one of them an email about it. Or maybe get back to work. Either way.

Date: January 25, 2013 12:24PM

Jerseygirl
ursusminor
Jerseygirl
ursusminor
RichH
Josh '99
RichH

Right. This is a surprisingly difficult question for which to find a definitive, confirming answer online. My info is based on having had numerous friends going through West Point. In fact, both answers may be correct. With the exclusion of NROTC programs (and possibly USNA), it looks like recoupment is required if separation from the service academy/ROTC occurs after two years, not one. I don't know what your definition of "many years ago" is, but unless the change occurred within the last two years or so, I'm standing by the two-year answer. Now I am curious -- I still have some recent connections to USMA (my childhood neighbor/surrogate older brother is a graduate and served a teaching appointment in its history department from 2009-2012, for one), so maybe I'll shoot one of them an email about it. Or maybe get back to work. Either way.
It was close to ten years ago when I heard that one can leave an academy after two years without penalty. I hadn't thought about ROTC, but that would also explain why many people whom I knew dropped out after two years at RPI. RPI has (or at least had) all three ROTC programs, and I don't recall if the Navy program was different from the others.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 25, 2013 01:09PM

Jerseygirl
Right. This is a surprisingly difficult question for which to find a definitive, confirming answer online.
I think it makes sense that the straight answer is hard to find, since it seems like the kind of thing that the academies probably wouldn't want to advertise.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.c3-0.smr-ubr2.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com)
Date: January 25, 2013 03:00PM

munchkin
Ed went to West Point for 2 years and left for MIT without owing anything.

Posted by: munchkin (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2013 03:59PM

When I was getting all the information from my Congressman, he made it pretty clear that it was 1 year to make up your mind and if you started Sophomore year you started owing them. That was in 2005 when I graduated from high school, and I was going to be a varsity athlete had I gone (for rowing which I did do at Cornell). Unless he was misinformed, that's where I got my info. Since I didn't end up going to Annapolis, and have now been commissinoed without going through ROTC, I don't know the specifics beyond that.

Date: February 07, 2013 04:37PM

Cole Bardreau is discussed in a Hockey's Future article as one of five NCAA players to watch for in the NHL draft. [www.hockeysfuture.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2013 04:44PM by ursusminor.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2013 12:03AM

Think we saw him in C tonight. How many age appropriate guys would be wearing a suit and a neckbrace?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2013 12:04AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: March 05, 2013 10:06AM

Rochester D and C sports columnist Kevin Oklobzija, writing today about the hit by Sabres' Patrick Kaleta's on Rangers' Brad Richards, interviewed U of R spinal surgeon Robert Molinari. Towards the end of the article, Oklobzija notes "He is now treating Fairport's Cole Bardreau, who suffered a major neck injury in a game for Cornell in January. "He's going to be as good as new," Molinari said of Bardreau."

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: March 05, 2013 12:48PM

George64
Rochester D and C sports columnist Kevin Oklobzija, writing today about the hit by Sabres' Patrick Kaleta's on Rangers' Brad Richards, interviewed U of R spinal surgeon Robert Molinari. Towards the end of the article, Oklobzija notes "He is now treating Fairport's Cole Bardreau, who suffered a major neck injury in a game for Cornell in January. "He's going to be as good as new," Molinari said of Bardreau."

Thanks, George. Good news for next year.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: January 04, 2014 11:42PM

Received storm-delayed Friday edition of D&C today. Nice article about Fairport's Cole Bardreau.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 05, 2014 11:05AM

George64
Received storm-delayed Friday edition of D&C today. Nice article about Fairport's Cole Bardreau.
For those of us who went to the top of this thread and suffered momentary heart failure, the "Bardreau done for the year" post was from last year. Phew.

Date: January 05, 2014 01:16PM

billhoward
George64
For those of us who went to the top of this thread and suffered momentary heart failure, the "Bardreau done for the year" post was from last year. Phew.
This, indeed.

Posted by: KeithK (108.243.171.---)
Date: January 05, 2014 01:51PM

Trotsky
billhoward
George64
This, indeed.
this is why you should use the "New" button!

Date: January 05, 2014 09:33PM

I had one of those "close all the tabs and hope I didn't see that" moments.

Yeah, let's not have threads with player names as their title.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: January 06, 2014 12:00AM

KeithK
Trotsky
billhoward
George64
This, indeed.

I swear I did!

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: January 06, 2014 10:10AM

We should have Chris '03 change the thread title to Bardreau is: HEALTHY. In the tradition of: [www.abevigoda.com]

Posted by: KeithK (108.243.171.---)
Date: January 06, 2014 11:03AM

Dafatone
KeithK
Trotsky
billhoward
George64
This, indeed.

I swear I did!
What gets me sometimes is that New puts you on the correct post initially but then once all of the pictures and videos and such load )and fill up space) the window ends up soemwhere further up (earlier in) the page. So I have to guess where the new stuff begins. Maybe that's just a Firefox thing but it's annoying and can be confusing.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 06, 2014 12:11PM

Trotsky
We should have Chris '03 change the thread title to Bardreau is: HEALTHY. In the tradition of: [www.abevigoda.com]
A player this good deserves his own thread. ("Iles is not the answer";) But yes it would be nice to have the thread originator note the change of direction.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: January 08, 2014 02:50PM

KeithK
What gets me sometimes is that New puts you on the correct post initially but then once all of the pictures and videos and such load )and fill up space) the window ends up soemwhere further up (earlier in) the page. So I have to guess where the new stuff begins. Maybe that's just a Firefox thing but it's annoying and can be confusing.

The browser doesn't know the height of all the random elements like images that load after it has done its initial layout. I might be able to kludge up a JavaScript solution to it. However, each new message will still have "NEW" next to the subject, so it shouldn't be too hard to scroll down til you see it.

Posted by: KeithK (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2014 12:51AM

CowbellGuy
KeithK

The browser doesn't know the height of all the random elements like images that load after it has done its initial layout. I might be able to kludge up a JavaScript solution to it. However, each new message will still have "NEW" next to the subject, so it shouldn't be too hard to scroll down til you see it.
But I don't WANNA!

Yeah, it really is no big deal. Now I wish that people wouldn't blindly reply to messages with images or other elements, thus compounding the issue. But that's just my pet peeve.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2014 01:04PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Great end to the Dartmouth hockey game, #22 is still seeing stars &#10;Definetely had a great time chillin wit the homies <a href="[twitter.com]; Joseph Cook (@jay_cook11) <a href="
">January 19, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Great, a Dartmouth player publicly celebrating the hit on Bardreau. Coach Gaudet's created a disgusting team culture over there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2014 01:06PM by imafrshmn.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: January 19, 2014 01:06PM

imafrshmn
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Great end to the Dartmouth hockey game, #22 is still seeing stars &#10;Definetely had a great time chillin wit the homies <a href="[twitter.com]; Joseph Cook (@jay_cook11) <a href=" ">January 19, 2014</a></blockquote>

Great, a Dartmouth player publicly celebrating the hit on Bardreau. Coach Gaudet's created a disgusting team culture over there.

I'm pretty sure it's a school wide sociopathic culture thing over there. Combination of cold, isolation, and hazing.

Date: January 19, 2014 01:59PM

Dafatone
imafrshmn
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Great end to the Dartmouth hockey game, #22 is still seeing stars &#10;Definetely had a great time chillin wit the homies <a href="[twitter.com]; Joseph Cook (@jay_cook11) <a href=" ">January 19, 2014</a></blockquote>

I'm pretty sure it's a school wide sociopathic culture thing over there. Combination of cold, isolation, and hazing.
Nuff said.

There are sociopathic bro assholes like this at every Ivy, taking a four year coke holiday before the entitlement conveyer belt carries them to Wall Street, K Street, or the RNC, but at Dartmouth it seems to have institutional approval.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2014 02:03PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: sah67 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2014 02:00PM

imafrshmn
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Great end to the Dartmouth hockey game, #22 is still seeing stars &#10;Definetely had a great time chillin wit the homies <a href="[twitter.com]; Joseph Cook (@jay_cook11) <a href="
">January 19, 2014</a></blockquote>

According to the Dartmouth Athletics site, Cook is on the football team, so while the tweet is classless, I don't think Gaudet had anything to do with it.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 19, 2014 03:06PM

Trotsky
Dafatone
imafrshmn

Nuff said.

There are sociopathic bro assholes like this at every Ivy, taking a four year coke holiday before the entitlement conveyer belt carries them to Wall Street, K Street, or the RNC, but at Dartmouth it seems to have institutional approval.
Well said

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login