Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell 3 Michigan 2 post game

Posted by Swampy 
Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Cornell 3 Michigan 2 post game
Posted by: TheMatrix (---.ccmr.cornell.edu)
Date: March 28, 2012 05:34PM

Jim Hyla
TheMatrix
Hunwick will make his NHL debut tonight (albeit with the Blue Jackets). He seems like nothing but class so I wish him the best.
[www.usatoday.com]
But he's sitting behind an ECAC goalie.:-D
Wow I can't believe I missed that. Last time I saw York, he was throwing a temper tantrum on Lynah's bench last year. banana

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 28, 2012 07:11PM

TheMatrix
Hunwick will make his NHL debut tonight (albeit with the Blue Jackets). He seems like nothing but class so I wish him the best.
[www.usatoday.com]

In a similar vein, I happened to catch Brian Elliott's latest accomplishment on ESPN.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: css228 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2012 07:13PM

jtwcornell91
TheMatrix
[www.usatoday.com]

In a similar vein, I happened to catch Brian Elliott's latest accomplishment on ESPN.
I think the news story here is that ESPN has hockey coverage.

Posted by: jtn27 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: March 29, 2012 09:28AM

Aaron M. Griffin
jtn27
As was mentioned earlier in the thread, Cornell's band played Michigan State's fight song and it's been getting a decent amount of attention on various websites. I'm writing an article for The Sun about this and I'm hoping to talk to some fans who were at the game. Would anyone who was at the game be interested in talking to me for 5 minutes either tonight or tomorrow? If so, I can send you a direct message with my phone number. Thanks.

Make sure you post the link here. I want to read it but I don't always remember to check The Sun's website everyday.

I wouldn't ordinarily post my articles here, but since you asked here it is: [cornellsun.com]
I'd like to thank all of you who responded to my first post. You were a big help in writing the article (even if I did have to cut some of you out of the article entirely for space you were still helpful).

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.mobility-up.psu.edu)
Date: March 29, 2012 10:19AM

jtn27
Aaron M. Griffin
jtn27
As was mentioned earlier in the thread, Cornell's band played Michigan State's fight song and it's been getting a decent amount of attention on various websites. I'm writing an article for The Sun about this and I'm hoping to talk to some fans who were at the game. Would anyone who was at the game be interested in talking to me for 5 minutes either tonight or tomorrow? If so, I can send you a direct message with my phone number. Thanks.

Make sure you post the link here. I want to read it but I don't always remember to check The Sun's website everyday.

I wouldn't ordinarily post my articles here, but since you asked here it is: [cornellsun.com]
I'd like to thank all of you who responded to my first post. You were a big help in writing the article (even if I did have to cut some of you out of the article entirely for space you were still helpful).

Thanks!

Joseph Niczky
Regardless of what effect the Michigan State fight song had on the game or the fans, some fans say the Cornell band established itself as the better band at the game.

Also, I think that the Lynah Faithful and the Pep Band established that we, not the Children of Yost, are still the masters of manipulating and taunting our opponents and that they, the Children of Yost, have much to learn.

I received annoyed phone calls and text messages during the game when my law school classmate and friend (a Michigan alumnus) realized that Cornell was playing the Michigan State fight song.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2012 10:45AM

jtwcornell91
TheMatrix
[www.usatoday.com]

Elliott is having an absolutely fantastic season, although (de ja vu alert) some of it is due to the Blues' defensive system that limits opponents to 26.3 shots per game, the fewest in the NHL by over half a shot per game.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 29, 2012 10:46AM

Josh '99
jtwcornell91
TheMatrix
[www.usatoday.com]

Elliott is having an absolutely fantastic season, although (de ja vu alert) some of it is due to the Blues' defensive system that limits opponents to 26.3 shots per game, the fewest in the NHL by over half a shot per game.
It's the system.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 29, 2012 11:26AM

jtn27

On the other hand, Michigan fans were pleased to hear their school’s fight song played in the NCAA tournament, despite the fact that their team had been eliminated at the hands of Union earlier in the day.

I think you meant Michigan State.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 29, 2012 11:46AM

Josh '99
jtwcornell91
TheMatrix
[www.usatoday.com]

Nine periods of shutout hockey also gave me some deja vu, although not as much as if six of them had come in the same game.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2012 12:52PM

jtn27
Aaron M. Griffin
jtn27

Nice picture of Cymbal Guy as well.

Date: March 29, 2012 01:57PM

Beeeej
jtn27

On the other hand, Michigan fans were pleased to hear their school’s fight song played in the NCAA tournament, despite the fact that their team had been eliminated at the hands of Union earlier in the day.

Oops. bolt

Also, the comment section of the article now includes an interesting response from a Michigan fan.

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.mobility-up.psu.edu)
Date: March 29, 2012 02:16PM

jtn27
Beeeej
jtn27

Oops. bolt

Also, the comment section of the article now includes an interesting response from a Michigan fan.

*I* did support playing Ohio State's fight song. However, your characterization is fair and representative of what one can see occur on the ice (Hunwick and Lynch) and what I've experienced firsthand with fans and alumni from Michigan. I posted the link to my Facebook profile and within an hour or so, I got the comment of "Bastards" (which is very tame for what he's called Cornell over the last week during and since the game). So, I think the commenter is trying to cover for the hypocrisy that has overwhelmed the Wolverine hockey fanbase about we can do it to others, but others best not outwit us.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Re: Cornell 3 Michigan 2 - pep band in the news
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2012 11:52PM

Nice piece in the Cornell Daily Sun about the Big Red Pep Band needling Michigan by playing the Michigan State fight song. Quote from Jeff Kahn. [cornellsun.com]

Linked by the slender thread of music annoying opponents in a sporting match is this story from Kuwait: When a woman from Kazakhstan won her match at the Arab Shooting Championships, the hosts played the Kazakhstan anthem. Except they downloaded and played the one from Borat. [www.cbsnews.com]

Date: March 30, 2012 12:14PM

jtn27

When I wrote the article, I unsuccessfully attempted to contact Michigan and Michigan State fans. I posted a similar message to this on forums for both teams. As expected, I was ignored on the Michigan site. However, I got a few responses on the Michigan State site that can only be described as "classy." Take a look: [michiganstate.247sports.com]

Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login