Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornellian NHL Jersey Auction

Posted by Robb 
Cornellian NHL Jersey Auction
Posted by: Robb (192.206.89.---)
Date: February 20, 2012 12:51PM

Just got this email:

Mike Schafer
ITHACA, N.Y. — Beginning Tuesday, February 21, Big Red hockey fans will have an opportunity to bid on autographed NHL and other pro hockey jerseys of former Cornell men’s hockey players through an online auction at www.CornellBigRed.com. Bids will be accepted through Thursday, March 2, with a minimum bid of $150 on each jersey.

The available jerseys have been collected from some of the program’s recent most celebrated players, with many of them skating in the NHL this season. Also available at the auction is a jersey signed by the entire team from the 2011 Stanley Cup champion Boston Bruins.

Proceeds from the auction will go toward a service project in the Dominican Republic, the continuation of trip to that nation three years ago. This year’s trip will work toward the construction of a multi-purpose building to be used for adult and child instruction, community gatherings, church services, and as a hurricane refuge.

To bid on a jersey, visit www.cornellbigred.com/sb_output.aspx?form=28.

The jerseys available are:

* Doug Murray, San Jose Sharks
* Ryan O’Byrne, Colorado Avalanche
* Byron Bitz, Vancouver Canucks
* Matt Moulson, New York Islanders
* Ben Scrivens, Toronto Maple Leafs
* Riley Nash, Carolina Hurricanes
* Colin Greening, Ottawa Senators
* Justin Krueger, Charlotte Checkers (AHL)
* David LeNeveu, Oklahoma City Oil Barons (AHL)
* 2011 Stanley Cup champion Boston Bruins (signed by entire team)

I'd bid higher if the Bruins jersey were signed by all but one certain goaltender...
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2012 01:01PM by Beeeej.

Re: Cornellian NHL Jersey Auction
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: February 20, 2012 01:08PM

After visiting the site, I have what may seem like a silly question. If you enter the amount of your bid in the space corresponding to the jersey you want, enter your Captcha letters, and click "Submit," it says basically "Thank you for your bid."

How does it know who I am, to keep track of winning bids?

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.28.---)
Date: February 20, 2012 01:18PM

Beeeej
After visiting the site, I have what may seem like a silly question. If you enter the amount of your bid in the space corresponding to the jersey you want, enter your Captcha letters, and click "Submit," it says basically "Thank you for your bid."

Don't worry. The RedCast folks figure it all out when the auction ends.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.28.---)
Date: February 20, 2012 01:21PM

I'm wondering if my Hebrew keyboard will come in before the auction ends.

Posted by: jtn27 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: February 20, 2012 01:44PM

Beeeej

It also asks for your name, email address, and phone number. I would say that's how they keep track, but that just seems too easy. My guess is it involves entering your IP address, how long it took you to fill out the page, and which player's jersey you bid on into a complex formula that determines your zodiac sign and then they just hope that only one person per sign bids on each jersey.

Date: February 20, 2012 01:45PM

jtn27
Beeeej

It also asks for your name, email address, and phone number.

Ah - it does now, anyway. When I took a look, they hadn't added that part yet. Thanks.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: February 20, 2012 01:56PM

Beeeej
jtn27
Beeeej

Ah - it does now, anyway. When I took a look, they hadn't added that part yet. Thanks.

You would think that would be something they would put up right away. Sometimes I question the how good our computer science department really is.

Date: February 20, 2012 02:09PM

jtn27
Beeeej
jtn27
Beeeej

You would think that would be something they would put up right away. Sometimes I question the how good our computer science department really is.

Leaving aside for the moment the fact that the CompSci department almost certainly has nothing to do with this webpage... It's not so much that they hadn't finished the page when we first viewed it - to me, the surprise is that someone told Coach to go ahead and send the email when the page hadn't yet been finished.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 20, 2012 04:14PM

Beeeej
jtn27
Beeeej
jtn27
Beeeej

Leaving aside for the moment the fact that the CompSci department almost certainly has nothing to do with this webpage... It's not so much that they hadn't finished the page when we first viewed it - to me, the surprise is that someone told Coach to go ahead and send the email when the page hadn't yet been finished.
Maybe he's still up in Ontario enjoying family festivities.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: February 20, 2012 05:09PM

jtn27
Beeeej

It also asks for your name, email address, and phone number. I would say that's how they keep track, but that just seems too easy. My guess is it involves entering your IP address, how long it took you to fill out the page, and which player's jersey you bid on into a complex formula that determines your zodiac sign and then they just hope that only one person per sign bids on each jersey.
But what about your Pairwise? Isn't there some way we can improve that?

Date: February 20, 2012 11:56PM

Beeeej
jtn27
Beeeej

If you haven't yet you should probably reenter your bid.

Posted by: ugarte (66.9.23.---)
Date: February 21, 2012 11:53AM

jtn27
Beeeej
jtn27
Beeeej

If you haven't yet you should probably reenter your bid.
The jersey will then show up on your Kindle.

Date: March 01, 2012 11:26AM

The bidding ends at 3pm today; the page has been updated to reflect the highest bids as of this morning:

[www.cornellbigred.com]

The page isn't being updated on the fly, but Coach is trying to send emails on a regular basis today to those bidding on the jerseys to update them on the current winning bids.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: March 01, 2012 11:33AM

Beeeej
The bidding ends at 3pm today; the page has been updated to reflect the highest bids as of this morning:

[www.cornellbigred.com]

The page isn't being updated on the fly, but Coach is trying to send emails on a regular basis today to those bidding on the jerseys to update them on the current winning bids.

"Welcome to the special auction for autographed NHL jerseys of former Cornell men's hockey players. Bids will be collected for these sweaters through Thursday, March 2. Fans may bid on multiple jerseys on the same form below, with a minimum bid on each jersey of $150."

Today is Thursday March 2nd? Funny, my calendars say Thursday March 1st. Unfortunately, there is no way I can justfy bidding for Colin Greening's jersey :(.

Posted by: RichH (167.225.107.---)
Date: March 01, 2012 12:29PM

I'm assuming these aren't game-worn, but store-quality replicas signed by the players. Anybody know if that's accurate?

Date: March 01, 2012 12:35PM

RichH
I'm assuming these aren't game-worn, but store-quality replicas signed by the players. Anybody know if that's accurate?

No idea, though the blurb does say they were "collected from the players."

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2012 02:29PM

I can't say for sure, given the ambiguity of the info that's been received, but I have to assume as you did that they're replicas because the prices just seem way too low; NHL gameworns for the same guys start at $450 on MeiGray, so autographed gameworns for under $200 just don't seem plausible. Plus, you would figure that if they were gameworn then the people running the auction would have the good sense to say so.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 01, 2012 03:09PM

They're not gameworn.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2012 03:16PM

CowbellGuy
They're not gameworn.
Well, at least they won't stink.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login