Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

An eLynah Engagement

Posted by Beeeej 
An eLynah Engagement
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: January 23, 2012 02:02PM

A little over eight years ago, a newly-minted Cornell alum and devoted member of the Lynah Faithful who had recently moved to the Boston area learned about the eLynah Forum. That user's second post ever, in the (now epic, but then-only-a-few-hours-old) "HARVARD SUCKS" thread, sought information on how to find tickets to the away Harvard game. Someone suggested asking a friend who attends Harvard, even after it was clear to me the user didn't have one, so I jumped in:

You're assuming that everybody has a friend at Hahvahd - which, from reading dss28's posts, I infer that he does not.

dss28 quickly replied:

Pssst.... she. I'm a she. ;-)

Over the years from 1999 to 2009, Daina and I attended literally dozens of the same Cornell hockey games both home and away, including ECAC and NCAA tournament games. We had many of the same friends, and hung out with many of the same people both before and after the games, often in the same places, but somehow we didn't meet. She moved to New York City in 2005, right around the time I finished law school. Eventually we each started showing up in the CC fields of respective mutual friends' emails about roadtrips, and somehow I even agreed to include her when I bought tickets several months in advance for the second edition of Red Hot Hockey, but we still hadn't met.

Then, on March 29, 2009, Daina and I both went to Ship of Fools on the Upper East Side of Manhattan to watch the NCAA Quarterfinal against Bemidji State. I was there to meet friends; she was there with her uncle, also a Cornell alum. The outcome of the game was a disappointment, but the rest of the evening was not. A month later, Daina and I were dating. We moved in together four days before the third edition of Red Hot Hockey.

This past Saturday, a few hours before the home Harvard game, at the top of Libe Slope as the sun began to set, I asked Daina to marry me.

She nodded vigorously and said, "UH HUH!" banana
[clear]

[clear]
Photos are courtesy my friend Matt Kall '93, whose marriage proposal I surreptitiously photographed for him in 2002, returning the favor.

Since Daina and I live in Brooklyn, I also needed help with the logistics from my brother Mark '89 ("mha" on this forum), who then also secretly arranged for the Lynah scoreboard operator to do this during the Harvard game afterwards:
[clear]

[clear]
I'm pretty sure the Harvard game ended in a tie, but neither of us was able to pay much attention. innocent

I introduced Daina to Coach Schafer at the Boatyard Grill after the game, where he offered his congratulations. Although I think at least a few marriages have resulted from Cornell hockey fandom over the years, as far as we know, this is the first one "resulting from" eLynah.

Thanks for all your well-wishes thus far. And Let's Go Red!!

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2012 02:24PM by CowbellGuy.

Re: An eLynah Engagement
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 23, 2012 02:26PM

Congratulations!

Our first date, I took Gwen to a Cornell NCAA regional game. Her friends thought it was so incredibly romantic, Gwen being swept away to dinner and a sold-out arena (maybe they envisioned NCAA basketball).

There must be others for whom Cornell hockey played a part in who they're with now.

Posted by: Ben (158.143.162.---)
Date: January 23, 2012 02:27PM

For some reason I can't "+1" this, which is okay, because "+1" doesn't do it justice. Congratulations! banana

Posted by: ugarte (66.9.23.---)
Date: January 23, 2012 02:37PM

What a cheap ploy to move up the Top Users board.

Posted by: Robb (192.206.89.---)
Date: January 23, 2012 03:05PM

Congratulations!

Our second date was a Cornell Club event to go watch a Dallas Stars game - that's pretty close to a first date, and pretty close to a Cornell hockey connection, but maybe falls just short of the criteria...?

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2012 03:14PM

Congratulations! A match made in eHeaven.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: January 23, 2012 03:27PM

Congrats! Good to hear something good eventually came from that damned Bemidji game.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: January 23, 2012 03:27PM

ugarte
What a cheap ploy to move up the Top Users board.

Funny - but if I'd wanted to use it to move up the Top Users board, I would've had someone else start the thread. A moderator can't get any +1 votes on any thread-starting posts, only on replies. :-D

EDIT: Strike that. Although the original post doesn't show any rating, it's certainly counting +1 votes. I've moved up 11 in the past hour or so. woot

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2012 03:32PM by Beeeej.

Date: January 23, 2012 04:32PM

Beeeej, for today, you're the Mayor of eLynah. Use the power wisely.

Posted by: scoop85 (173.84.100.---)
Date: January 23, 2012 04:33PM

I must be getting old and soft, but as much as I (usually) enjoy the snark that typically permeates the Forum, no posting here has ever put such a smile on my face.

Congratulations on a match made in [eLynah] heaven!

Date: January 23, 2012 04:33PM

Robb
Our second date was a Cornell Club event to go watch a Dallas Stars game - that's pretty close to a first date, and pretty close to a Cornell hockey connection, but maybe falls just short of the criteria...?
The criteria is to marry the girl before she comes to her senses and finds better prospects.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: January 23, 2012 04:47PM

Congrats Beeeej!

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2012 05:06PM

billhoward
Beeeej, for today, you're the Mayor of eLynah. Use the power wisely.

Is Age the Justice of the Peace?

Posted by: ftyuv (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 23, 2012 05:29PM

Congrats to both of you!

Posted by: lhayes (---.clsphila.org)
Date: January 23, 2012 05:58PM

Congratulations! This is a great story!

I met my husband online, and fessed up to Cornell hockey mania in an early email, before I'd laid eyes on him. He responded favorably -- suggested a date for the Princeton game -- which helped me decide to meet him. He promptly became a Cornell hockey fan, and has now been one for eight years.

Not as good as your story though!

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 23, 2012 06:27PM

Sweeeet!

Posted by: Kristi 97 (---.bing.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 23, 2012 06:27PM

Best wishes to both of you!!

My fiancee proposed to me on that very spot on a very cold night just before Christmas this year as the chimes had just finished playing. John and I really needed Cornell Hockey to be our bright spot this season, as he lives in Owego and the September flooding took a major toll on us.

I love having a memory that is also connected with so many other Cornellians, past, present and future. I wonder how many proposals Libe Slope has witnessed over the years...

Posted by: jkahn (---.73.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: January 23, 2012 06:52PM

Mazel Tov - Beeeej and Daina. I'm glad to have gotten introduced to the future bride when you poked your head into the '70-'77 pregame MSG reception.
And it's great that you each have someone who shares the addiction to Cornell hockey - makes life a whole lot easier.
I know I'm fortunate that Marea (a Queens college alum) is very understanding of my passion and enjoys watching hockey.
I expect you two will still be roadtripping many decades from now.

Posted by: mountainred (---.dr01.chtn.wv.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 23, 2012 08:35PM

Congratulations and President Rhodes alwasys said at commencement:

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet {again},
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

Of course, my girlfriend is now going to be very suspicious of my posting here, but I can live with that.

Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2012 09:03PM

Congratulations to the two of you. As other have said, great story. We wish you a long and happy life together.

Best

Larry '72 and Trudy

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: January 23, 2012 09:25PM

Congratulations to the two of you. Thanks for sharing this with the rest of us. Your posts have always won my respect. So even though we've never met face-to-face, your story makes me feel a certain warmth.

Now, to move the thread along, may we suggest some possible baby names? innocent Ned, Brian, Joe, Douglas, and Michael all come to mind as boys names. The women's team is just starting to follow the path of the men's team. So for now Rebecca is a good name for a girl.

Posted by: jeff '84 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 23, 2012 09:34PM

Congrats!!!!!!

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 23, 2012 10:03PM

Well done and best wishes.

Eric '92 and Peggy '91

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 23, 2012 11:07PM

Congratulations and best wishes from me, too.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: January 24, 2012 07:59AM

Congrats, Jeff!!! drunk

Does she have a sister? :-D

Posted by: BMac (---.demarc.cogentco.com)
Date: January 24, 2012 09:43AM

So what you're saying is... you met her on the Internet?

(congratulations!)

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 24, 2012 09:59AM

Congratulations and IT'S ABOUT TIME!!! cheer

Posted by: KenP (---.ssmcnet.noaa.gov)
Date: January 24, 2012 12:18PM

Swampy
Congratulations to the two of you. Thanks for sharing this with the rest of us. Your posts have always won my respect. So even though we've never met face-to-face, your story makes me feel a certain warmth.

Now, to move the thread along, may we suggest some possible baby names? innocent Ned, Brian, Joe, Douglas, and Michael all come to mind as boys names. The women's team is just starting to follow the path of the men's team. So for now Rebecca is a good name for a girl.
... or Parris or Locke or Brock or Sasha....

Great story. Thanks for sharing and, again, congratulations!

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 24, 2012 12:38PM

"Dryden" is no snottier a first name than half of NYC Cornellians give their sons. ;)

Posted by: JasonN95 (38.105.135.---)
Date: January 24, 2012 12:58PM

Congratulations, Jeff.

To add to the list of people who had Cornell Hockey play a part in their marriage. My wife (Class of '96) and I had as our first date dinner at Little Joe's and a Cornell hockey game.

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.lightspeed.sntcca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 24, 2012 02:05PM

Mazel Tov! What a great moment.

Posted by: profudge (---.dr04.nrwc.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 24, 2012 04:33PM

Mazel Tov - Beeeej and Daina - also my sincere congratulations to Kristi and John.

May your futures together be warm and fun and full of good times and wonderful people;
May good health surround you and your families -
May the joy of togetherness warm you always.

Date: January 25, 2012 03:24PM

Thanks for the congratulations and good wishes, all! Daina and I have really enjoyed reading the responses.

As for possible baby names, well, I think we've got a little while before we have to worry about that. Nevertheless, we were thinking perhaps of Kirill, Locke, Krzysztof, Byron, Trent, Etienne, P.C., Stephane, Jiri, Gord, or Gunar.

But when it comes right down to it, I honestly kind of like the sound of "Damian Rocke Anbinder."

- Steve Worona

Posted by: ugarte (66.9.23.---)
Date: January 25, 2012 04:13PM

Oh, look. Already talking about your Bâby.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: January 25, 2012 04:48PM

ugarte

They can get the local Abbott to perform the ceremony.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: January 25, 2012 05:04PM

French Rage
ugarte

How long did it take you to Cook that one up?

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: January 25, 2012 05:45PM

Roy 82
French Rage
ugarte

How long did it take you to Cook that one up?

I'll bet you'll just love it to Bitz, though.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2012 06:56PM

Congrats again to both of you, Beeeej. I knew much of the story but did not know that Daina had posted on eLynah and that you had responded. Great story. Thanks for sharing it!

Oh, and interestingly, Kim, my fiancee, had seen the stuff on the scoreboard at Lynah but I had not. When we later read about your engagement on Facebook she told me that she had seen the scoreboard message, but had not realized that I knew you.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2012 06:59PM by andyw2100.

Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2012 07:14PM

Peace be with you and Daina. May you both stay far ahead of the Dragon and get away Scott free. May your girls have the wisdom of Hannah. And may your boys be Smart enough to attend Cornell (girls too)!

Larry '72 and Trudy

Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2012 09:07PM

May you stay together til Death(e) do you part ...

Congrats to Beeeej and Daina!
Posted by: HeafDog (---.c3-0.80w-ubr1.nyr-80w.ny.cable.rcn.com)
Date: January 25, 2012 11:53PM

Pretty soon, we'll be able to say, "Hey, Beeeej, you're not a bachelor, you're a boyfriend! You're not a boyfriend, you're a significant other! You're not a significant other, you're a fiancé! You're not a fiancé, you're a husband!" (Except I don't really know how it ends. "You just fix things around the house"?)

Good going, bro. Mazal tov and congrats. :-)

Posted by: Drew (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 26, 2012 12:16AM

A wonderful story! I hope health, happiness, and wealth find your way. Keep smiling....may your sun lways be Golden and your grass always be Green!
All the best!!!
Drew

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login