Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

RIP Kevin Pettit ‘71

Posted by George64 
RIP Kevin Pettit ‘71
Posted by: George64 (208.209.190.---)
Date: September 03, 2023 09:41AM

’71, BS CALS ’72—Kevin C. Pettit of Dawson Creek, BC, and Rincón de Guayabitos, Mexico, February 23, 2023; ice hockey left wing in professional, recreational, and senior leagues; member of the 1969–70 undefeated Cornell hockey NCAA championship team; avid sportsman; enjoyed golf, swimming, bowling, hiking, telling stories, and talking about geography

Re: RIP Kevin Pettit ‘71
Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 04, 2023 11:13AM

George64
’71, BS CALS ’72—Kevin C. Pettit of Dawson Creek, BC, and Rincón de Guayabitos, Mexico, February 23, 2023; ice hockey left wing in professional, recreational, and senior leagues; member of the 1969–70 undefeated Cornell hockey NCAA championship team; avid sportsman; enjoyed golf, swimming, bowling, hiking, telling stories, and talking about geography

:-( It was such fun to watch him kick ass in the ECAC!!

Posted by: billhoward (---.sub-174-197-194.myvzw.com)
Date: September 04, 2023 08:58PM

Damn! Cornell hockey players of the Harkness and early Bertrand era are passing too soon. Just last week we heard about the passing of Eric (Ric) Skillins '74.

Kevin Pettit was an integral part of the unbeaten 1970 team (the one that had Brian Cropper not Ken Dryden in goal despite quote-legitimate hockey sites sometimes making that mistake). He also played for the 1970-71 team under former captain then head coach Dick Bertrand '70.

His scoring improved significantly from sophomore to junior year (the 29-0 team) but Kevin's key stat continued to increase each year:

Year      Pts  PIM
1968-69   17    39
1969-70   51    80
1970-71   37   111

If Eamon McEneany '77 was the strongest, toughest Cornell athlete ever per pound of weight, Pettit at 5-8, 175 deserved a spot in the top ten.

If I recall -- it has been a half-century, and one is allowed a bit of license -- Pettit entering the final game of his career, with a repeat trip to the NCAAs not in the offing, his penalty minutes were in the 90s, and he needed to be in the low hundreds to break the Cornell single season record of 104 held by Doug Ferguson '67. In the ECAC consolation game March 1971, Cornell lost 6-5 to BU, Pettit did manage, with the help of a misconduct, to reach 111 penalty minutes. He also received All-America status senior year.

Godspeed, Kevin. You did not take kindly to oppenents between you and the boards in the corners. Somewhere in my photo archives I have an image of Kevin skating away from the corner, a Harvard player flat on his back, and a wondrous Who Me? shrug from Pettit.

FYI Kevin is also tenth on the career Cornell PIM standings, at 225. No. 1 is John Olds with 267 PIM 1978-81 and No. 2 is Mike Schafer, 251 PIM 1982-86. The lone player of this century in the top ten is Greg Hornby '04, ninth at 226 PIM.

-------------------

Kevin Charles Joseph Pettit Obituary - Legacy.com
Kevin was born July 7, 1947 in Cornwall, Ontario, which borders the mighty St. Lawrence River. He died February 23, 2023 in Rincon de Guayabitos [just north of Puerto Vallarta on the Pacific coast -- ed.] , Mexico, his happy place on the Pacific Ocean.

Kevin resided in Dawson Creek, BC with his wife Cathy since 1981. There, he developed a great love for the surrounding geography, particularly the expansive Peace River. Kevin had a strong affinity for water and the north.

Kevin was eldest son of the late Kenneth & Lillian Pettit of Hamilton, ON. He was beloved husband to Cathy ("Kell" ) for the past 35 years. He was brother to Terry and Hugh, Trevor, Lana and Rick, Marlon and Jennifer. Brother-in-law to Ron and Jan Kelly.

Dearly loved by his best little buddy, Dylan. Proud uncle and great-uncle to many nieces and nephews across Canada and beyond.

Kevin was an avid sportsman. Hockey was his greatest passion. His career began in Hamilton as a Junior Redwing, and continued at Cornell University where he received the honourable title of "All American". In 1969-70, Kevin helped Cornell achieve their only undefeated championship season.

Kevin maintained close ties to his fellow Cornell athletes over the years and continued to nurture his love for hockey in recreational leagues where he formed many more lasting friendships over several decades.

Kevin kept many other hobbies such as golfing, swimming, bowling, and hiking. He was a real outdoorsman, and would chat contentedly at length about geography.

Perhaps more than anything, Kevin was known for his quick-witted humour and elaborate storytelling. He was a true conversationalist and genuinely enjoyed speaking with and learning about other people.

Kevin was an extraordinary friend to many across Canada, the United States, and Mexico. He was loved and will be dearly missed by all.

Kevin's family extends a special thank you to his Mexican family and community for their outpouring of love and support during this difficult time.

In remembrance of Kevin, please hold your own celebration by raising a glass, recalling a shared moment, and enjoying a smile at the memory. He'd like that.

Memories may also be left on this page for Kevin's family to read.

Published by The Hamilton Spectator on Mar. 17, 2023.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2023 09:15PM by billhoward.

Posted by: randyranger (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 05, 2023 01:55PM

I've been following Elynah for many years but this is the first I felt I HAD to post. I arrived at Cornell as a freshman in September, 1968 and became one of the student hockey managers,working mostly with the freshmen (Larry Fullan, Jim Higgs, Dave Westner, Craig Brush et al). Anyway, back then there was no "Red/White" game before the start of the regular season, but rather a Varsity vs.Freshman game. I was told (many people talked about it) that in the previous year's V vs F game (October,1967) that Kevin scored a hat trick against Ken Dryden...the ONLY player to do so in Dryden's 4 years at Cornell. Quite a factoid.

Kevin was a great guy and strong as an ox for his size. He also performed admirably as a bartender at the Chapter House. Gone way too soon.

Posted by: dag14 (98.38.249.---)
Date: September 05, 2023 02:14PM

I worked at the Chapter House my freshman year with Kevin. I had never spent time in a bar before, either as a patron or an employee, having just turned 18. I have never forgotten the experience or the friends I made that year. Mostly hockey players and hockey fans!

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: September 05, 2023 05:50PM

randyranger
I've been following Elynah for many years but this is the first I felt I HAD to post. I arrived at Cornell as a freshman in September, 1968 and became one of the student hockey managers,working mostly with the freshmen (Larry Fullan, Jim Higgs, Dave Westner, Craig Brush et al). Anyway, back then there was no "Red/White" game before the start of the regular season, but rather a Varsity vs.Freshman game. I was told (many people talked about it) that in the previous year's V vs F game (October,1967) that Kevin scored a hat trick against Ken Dryden...the ONLY player to do so in Dryden's 4 years at Cornell. Quite a factoid.

Kevin was a great guy and strong as an ox for his size. He also performed admirably as a bartender at the Chapter House. Gone way too soon.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 05, 2023 09:00PM

Great article. I also got a chuckle from the “I’ll Never be Bald again” ad.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 05, 2023 09:31PM

Yes, thank you for the article. It was also interesting to see the enthusiasm for Brian Cropper, along with the other names that would be so important the following year.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: September 06, 2023 12:27PM

randyranger
I was told (many people talked about it) that in the previous year's V vs F game (October,1967) that Kevin scored a hat trick against Ken Dryden...the ONLY player to do so in Dryden's 4 years at Cornell. Quite a factoid.

As pointed out by a friend, including citation, apparently not true. See Cornell University Hockey by Adam Woden, with research by Arthur Mintz (Arcadia Publishing, 2004), Michigan Tech’s Al Karlander turned the trick on March 14,1969, during the NCAA semi-finals won by Cornell, 4-3, in OT.

Posted by: Trotsky (12.151.182.---)
Date: September 06, 2023 02:10PM

George64
randyranger
I was told (many people talked about it) that in the previous year's V vs F game (October,1967) that Kevin scored a hat trick against Ken Dryden...the ONLY player to do so in Dryden's 4 years at Cornell. Quite a factoid.

As pointed out by a friend, including citation, apparently not true. See Cornell University Hockey by Adam Woden, with research by Arthur Mintz (Arcadia Publishing, 2004), Michigan Tech’s Al Karlander turned the trick on March 14,1969, during the NCAA semi-finals won by Cornell, 4-3, in OT.
Correct. (His second-to-last game and final win.)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2023 02:10PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Swampy (43.225.189.---)
Date: September 06, 2023 08:01PM

Trotsky
George64
randyranger

IIRC, the Boston Bruins had some trouble scoring on him later that spring, during the Stanley Cup playoffs. cheer

Posted by: jkahn (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 07, 2023 02:49PM

Swampy
Trotsky
George64
randyranger

IIRC, the Boston Bruins had some trouble scoring on him later that spring, during the Stanley Cup playoffs. cheer
Not quite later that spring - that Stanley Cup series was 1971. Dryden had played his first six regulare season games toward the end of that '70-'71 season, and then played all 20 Stanley Cup games. He was going to law school at McGill and playing for the Voyageurs, Montreal's AHL team, on weekends when he got called up to the Habs.

Posted by: Trotsky (12.151.182.---)
Date: September 07, 2023 02:55PM

jkahn
Swampy
Trotsky
George64
randyranger

Not quite later that spring - that Stanley Cup series was 1971. Dryden had played his first six regulare season games toward the end of that '70-'71 season, and then played all 20 Stanley Cup games. He was going to law school at McGill and playing for the Voyageurs, Montreal's AHL team, on weekends when he got called up to the Habs.

There is a great description in Dryden's book of the Habs' management when he decided to skip a year to finish his degree and work in law rather than knuckle under in salary negotiations. They just couldn't process it. A great example of the authoritarian personality coming up against someone of talent and character and being utterly inept to the task.

No allusion to contemporary political history is meant to be in any way implied by this comment.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2023 02:57PM by Trotsky.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login