Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell-Yale postgame

Posted by dbilmes 
Cornell-Yale postgame
Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2011 09:53PM

I just got back from the game, and unfortunately, it went much the way most of our games against Yale have gone the past few years. Garman kept us in the game in the first period, but you got the feeling that once Yale broke though, they would get a flurry of goals, and that's exactly what happened in the second period.
Not that it made any difference, but on Yale's first goal, we were killing a penalty and one of our players lifted a clearing pass out of the zone, but it deflected off a lineseman into the stands, and even though the linesman was standing outside the blue line, the ensuing faceoff was held in our zone. Yale controlled the puck on the faceoff, leading to their first goal.
On the second goal, Whitney had a chance to knock down a Yale breakout pass. He missed the puck, and the next thing you knew, the puck was in our net.
I was watching the game with a neutral observer who coaches hockey himself, and he said it looked like Yale just picked its game up a notch in the second period.
Finally, I was wondering why we didn't pull our goalie with about 5 minutes left when we were going on a PP trailing 3-1. Instead, Schafer waited until the PP was almost over to pull Garman.
Finally, to get off topic, unfortunately I was seated near Yale's pep band, which sounded terrible, and the only cheers they had were ones they stole from us, and which no one else joined in with. So at least we still have the better pep band! And I was wondering why Yale has this fancy electronic scoreboard, but doesn't bother posting things on it like penalty calls, goal scorers and assists. Instead, it just said "Yale hockey" on it most of the night, in case we didn't realize we were at a Yale hockey game.
Good turnout of Cornell fans, too!

Re: Cornell-Yale postgame
Posted by: HeafDog (---.c3-0.80w-ubr1.nyr-80w.ny.cable.rcn.com)
Date: February 26, 2011 11:47PM

We were substantially outclassed. The only reason we made it through the first period scoreless is because of Mikey Between The Pipes. The final score notwithstanding, he had himself a great game, and kept us in it as long as he could. Even in the first period, Yale was in control, firing away at our net at will, while we only managed a couple of relatively weak opportunities.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 27, 2011 12:17AM

If we have to play someone in the ECACs should we advance to Atlantic City, better it be Yale. Union (the ECAC champ / 1-seed, who would play the lowest survivor) sucked the air out of Cornell. Remember, 2-2-5--9 Cornell shots on goal up in Schenectady. All Yale (2-seed) did was beat us convincingly. With a couple more breaks going our way, we could have tied or beaten Yale, because sometimes the better team loses.

David, I can't recall if the breakout was on the second or third Yale goal, They came so fast. I believe if it was Whitney, he had just come on the ice and he skated over to cover the Yale breakout, but either he didn't skate over at 100% speed, or Yale was the faster team and it didn't matter. I think the culprit was us changing lines at the wrong time (like when Yale had the puck).

I saw a lot of diagonal passes without much zip on them in the first half of the game, which Yale easily intercepted.

We came close to a second shorthand goal in the third (by Birch?). We should have lost 3-2.

Are we reading too much into the new Iles Friday, Garman Saturday rotation? If Schafer sees Iles as the better goaltender, he saw a better chance to tie/win Friday and lock in that first round bye and home ice in the quarterfinals. If Iles plays Friday in the playoffs then he'd also play Sunday if the quarterfinals goes three games, and if we advance to Alb -- ahem, Atlantic City -- he'd be the guy to perform the miracle that takes us to the title game and Schafer could then decide to go with the hot goalie.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: February 27, 2011 07:57AM

billhoward
Union (the ECAC champ / 1-seed,

Ahem! Regular season champion. The ECAC Champion is the winner of the tournament.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 27, 2011 10:15AM

jtwcornell91
billhoward

Ahem! Regular season champion. The ECAC Champion is the winner of the tournament.
It's still a very weird thing to see.

Posted by: min (---.85-185-111.static.totalbb.net.tw)
Date: February 27, 2011 11:44AM

They say that a 4-seed is a 4-seed is a 4-seed. But why does this year's 4th place finish feel very different from that 4th place finish back in 1996, during Coach Schafer's first season? Why do I still feel depressed?

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.c3-0.smr-ubr2.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com)
Date: February 27, 2011 11:59AM

min
They say that a 4-seed is a 4-seed is a 4-seed. But why does this year's 4th place finish feel very different from that 4th place finish back in 1996, during Coach Schafer's first season? Why do I still feel depressed?
Probably because there is a huge gap between the top two teams in the conference and #3. In many other years, this Cornell team wouldn't be in the top half.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: February 27, 2011 12:08PM

Kyle Rose
min
Probably because there is a huge gap between the top two teams in the conference and #3. In many other years, this Cornell team wouldn't be in the top half.

Also, I imagine it's because we finished the 1996 regular season with a convincing 10-1-1 run, and not so much this year...and that we had been picked to finish (IIRC) 9th in 1996, and 4th is a lot better than 9th.

Plus, you're now used to the team contending for the top spot every year. It's not an insult to say we've gotten spoiled.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2011 12:09PM by Beeeej.

Posted by: polar (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 27, 2011 12:48PM

Trotsky
jtwcornell91
billhoward

It's still a very weird thing to see.

Can only be a positive for the league as a whole. So long as we can be competitive in this more difficult ECAC next year...

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 27, 2011 01:05PM

Beeeej
Kyle Rose
min

Also, I imagine it's because we finished the 1996 regular season with a convincing 10-1-1 run, and not so much this year...and that we had been picked to finish (IIRC) 9th in 1996, and 4th is a lot better than 9th.

Plus, you're now used to the team contending for the top spot every year. It's not an insult to say we've gotten spoiled.
Also, 2011 Cornell is part of a three-way tie for 4th and at .500 overall. Nobody will be the least bit surprised if the team loses in the QF at home, no matter who the opponent is.

Manage expectations and hope for the best.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 28, 2011 08:10AM

dbilmes
I just got back from the game, and unfortunately, it went much the way most of our games against Yale have gone the past few years. Garman kept us in the game in the first period, but you got the feeling that once Yale broke though, they would get a flurry of goals, and that's exactly what happened in the second period.
Not that it made any difference, but on Yale's first goal, we were killing a penalty and one of our players lifted a clearing pass out of the zone, but it deflected off a lineseman into the stands, and even though the linesman was standing outside the blue line, the ensuing faceoff was held in our zone. Yale controlled the puck on the faceoff, leading to their first goal.
On the second goal, Whitney had a chance to knock down a Yale breakout pass. He missed the puck, and the next thing you knew, the puck was in our net.
I was watching the game with a neutral observer who coaches hockey himself, and he said it looked like Yale just picked its game up a notch in the second period.
Finally, I was wondering why we didn't pull our goalie with about 5 minutes left when we were going on a PP trailing 3-1. Instead, Schafer waited until the PP was almost over to pull Garman.
Finally, to get off topic, unfortunately I was seated near Yale's pep band, which sounded terrible, and the only cheers they had were ones they stole from us, and which no one else joined in with. So at least we still have the better pep band! And I was wondering why Yale has this fancy electronic scoreboard, but doesn't bother posting things on it like penalty calls, goal scorers and assists. Instead, it just said "Yale hockey" on it most of the night, in case we didn't realize we were at a Yale hockey game.
The Cornell Bands are truly awesome! By far the best in the Ivy League. I go to the Cornell/Sucks football games in Cambridge and of late the results on the field are predictable but my favorite part is the band concert after the game.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2011 10:16AM by Towerroad.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.24.---)
Date: February 28, 2011 10:02AM

Towerroad
dbilmes
The Cornell Bands are truly awesome! By far the best in the Ivy League. I go to the Cornell/Sucks football games in Cambridge and of late the results on the field are predictable but my favorite part is the band concert after the game.

FYP. It took me a couple moments to understand that this was a description of the game's combatants, and not (intentionally) an editorial on the current state of the Cornell football program. :)

Posted by: Towerroad (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 28, 2011 10:32AM

Noted and fixed. No slight intended.

Date: February 28, 2011 11:15AM

min
That is exactly what this chart tries to capture.

Posted by: Swampy (131.128.163.---)
Date: February 28, 2011 12:45PM

Trotsky
min

It's a good chart, although depressing given all that yellow in the Stretch Run of late. I'd also like to see better normalization. You can't be 10 games above .500 when you've only played nine games. Perhaps some kind of p-value from a binomial distribution would be apropos.

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: February 28, 2011 01:12PM

dbilmes
you got the feeling that once Yale broke though, they would get a flurry of goals, and that's exactly what happened in the second period.

My thoughts through the first half of the game as well.

It was the first time I'd seen the team in person all year and three things stood out:

1) Dumb penalties. What really stood out to me was that the captain took 6 PIMs, including the first of the game, a completely obvious and unnecessary shove that never should have happened and a hook on the powerplay in the third. I expect more discipline from someone wearing a letter, particularly when a bye is on the line and you're playing a top 5 team knowing it will take a complete effort to win.

2) Physicality on defense. The first goal was a clinic in collapsing the defense on the powerplay. Watching the yale forward basically post up and push his man closer to the crease made it seem like contact was impermissible.

3) Presence in front of the net. Hardly ever saw a red sweater establish any sort of presence in front on either end of the ice, particularly offensively. This was most apparent on the PP in the third but Rondeau was getting clean looks all night.

Finally, the lack of effort on collecting the blue line pass gone bad that led to the ENG was unfortunate.

Looking forward to seeing how Yale stacks up in Bridgeport. They didn't look like a FF team Saturday but who knows how many more gears they have when the games count more. Until then, they better stay away from the pool.

Posted by: ugarte (66.9.23.---)
Date: February 28, 2011 02:22PM

Swampy
Trotsky
min

...I'd also like to see better normalization. You can't be 10 games above .500 when you've only played nine games. Perhaps some kind of p-value from a binomial distribution would be apropos.
You know what I like in my goofy, I-was-bored-once charts? Complex mathematical formulae.

Date: February 28, 2011 03:51PM

ugarte
Swampy
Trotsky
min

...I'd also like to see better normalization. You can't be 10 games above .500 when you've only played nine games. Perhaps some kind of p-value from a binomial distribution would be apropos.
You know what I like in my goofy, I-was-bored-once charts? Complex mathematical formulae.
And chimps.

But actually this is an attempt to get at just what min means. It compares the "warmth" results from game 10 on. The "hotter" we run, the more satisfaction over the course of the season.

Note 1970. Note also the 3 years immediately prior to Schafer.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2011 03:53PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: February 28, 2011 04:47PM

Trotsky
ugarte
Swampy
Trotsky
min

And chimps.

But actually this is an attempt to get at just what min means. It compares the "warmth" results from game 10 on. The "hotter" we run, the more satisfaction over the course of the season.

I think this year is wrong there, BTW, since we're in the yellow, not orange for the entire stretch run on the other page.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.atc-nycorp.com)
Date: February 28, 2011 04:49PM

Trotsky

Something ain't quite right. The 2011 team should be 13 games in yellow instead of orange, like they were in 2007. (Uh-oh) Cornell's best "temperature" (?) this season was +4 after the game at RPI.

Ah, never mind, JTW beat me to it. Nothing to see here, just move along...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2011 04:51PM by Give My Regards.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 28, 2011 05:10PM

Chris '03

3) Presence in front of the net. Hardly ever saw a red sweater establish any sort of presence in front on either end of the ice, particularly offensively. This was most apparent on the PP in the third but Rondeau was getting clean looks all night.

I think they also were way too content to repeatedly take the outside on entry to the zone. Repeatedly they were just getting forced to the boards or to dump it towards the corner. There was one time a forward was coming up between the two Yale defenseman, and they let him have the middle for a second and he still decided to move to the outside. This led to them having a hard time generating good angle shots.

Posted by: redice (---.sub-69-98-92.myvzw.com)
Date: February 28, 2011 09:00PM

Chris '03
dbilmes
you got the feeling that once Yale broke though, they would get a flurry of goals, and that's exactly what happened in the second period.

My thoughts through the first half of the game as well.

It was the first time I'd seen the team in person all year and three things stood out:

1) Dumb penalties. What really stood out to me was that the captain took 6 PIMs, including the first of the game, a completely obvious and unnecessary shove that never should have happened and a hook on the powerplay in the third. I expect more discipline from someone wearing a letter, particularly when a bye is on the line and you're playing a top 5 team knowing it will take a complete effort to win.

2) Physicality on defense. The first goal was a clinic in collapsing the defense on the powerplay. Watching the yale forward basically post up and push his man closer to the crease made it seem like contact was impermissible.

Finally, the lack of effort on collecting the blue line pass gone bad that led to the ENG was unfortunate.

Looking forward to seeing how Yale stacks up in Bridgeport. They didn't look like a FF team Saturday but who knows how many more gears they have when the games count more. Until then, they better stay away from the pool.

Good observations about the team's play this year....Notice that word "discipline" again...The lack thereof is one of the big story lines for this team..

Date: February 28, 2011 10:00PM

Give My Regards
Trotsky

Something ain't quite right. The 2011 team should be 13 games in yellow instead of orange, like they were in 2007. (Uh-oh) Cornell's best "temperature" (?) this season was +4 after the game at RPI.

Ah, never mind, JTW beat me to it. Nothing to see here, just move along...
Fixed, thanks. God bless peer review. :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login