Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell-Union postgame

Posted by dbilmes 
Cornell-Union postgame
Posted by: dbilmes (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: February 11, 2011 05:34PM

It looks like Union is pulling out all stops tonight, promoting a Whiteout for the game against Cornell. Hopefully, they'll get more participation than Sucks did a few weeks ago at Lynah East.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2011 01:28PM by dbilmes.

Re: Cornell-Union pregame
Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2011 09:48PM

dbilmes
It looks like Union is pulling out all stops tonight, promoting a Whiteout for the game against Cornell. Hopefully, they'll get more participation than Sucks did a few weeks ago at Lynah East.

May want to save that for a more challenging opponent.

Two games vs Union: outscored 9-1 and outshot 78-25. That's going to take some time to sink in.

Posted by: redice (---.sub-75-194-176.myvzw.com)
Date: February 12, 2011 08:23AM

To those who attended the game:

Were we 'outworked' again? Or could it be that Union is just that much better?

I'm thinking the latter applies here...Now, we have Union & Yale as teams we can't seem to beat...

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2011 08:34AM

redice
To those who attended the game:

Were we 'outworked' again? Or could it be that Union is just that much better?

I'm thinking the latter applies here...Now, we have Union & Yale as teams we can't seem to beat...
And, with Yale's loss at St. Lawrence, Union moves to the top of the ECAC.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2011 08:58AM

I was there and left after two periods- the first time I have ever left a game early in 46 years of wathching Big Red Hockey. Union is that much better than us. This year. They are well-coached, always applying pressure on the goal, fast, and still play great defense. Yes, Coach, it can be done.

Cornell passing was sloppy, frequently couldn't keep the puck in the zone, and when they could get a shot off hit nothing but glass. The defense couldn't clear either the crease or the high slot and rarely did Cornell have anyone in those areas in the offensive zone. Brutal.

What on earth is going on with Nichols? After being benched last weekend he boards again before a minute and a half was gone in the game??? Then, probably knowing he's not gonna dress against RPI gets a game DQ in a fight. On Monday, I'd have him shovel off the stairs on the 50 yardline at Schoellkopf so the whole team except the goaltenders could run them. cuss

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2011 09:13AM

TimV
What on earth is going on with Nichols? After being benched last weekend he boards again before a minute and a half was gone in the game??? Then, probably knowing he's not gonna dress against RPI gets a game DQ in a fight. On Monday, I'd have him shovel off the stairs on the 50 yardline at Schoellkopf so the whole team except the goaltenders could run them. cuss
My reaction exactly. It's one thing to be outplayed by a more skilled team, yet another to aid and abet them by playing stupid hockey. Union has the #1 power play in the country at 30+%, so the last thing you want to do is give them opportunities...never mind at 1:25 into the first period.

Date: February 12, 2011 09:20AM

Al, if they lose to RPI today I wouldn't wait til Monday - have the snow shovels ready when the bus arrives.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2011 09:46AM

Well, they were due for a stinker and man, that was a stinker. 9 shots on goal, and that only by the grace of 2 or 3 phantom "shots" in the third.

Maybe we'll all look back on this and laugh like the 11-0 loss at Yale that never happened or the 8-1 blowout to SLU in '09.

At least it only counts for 1 game.

I didn't expect any points this weekend so a loss in and of itself to RPI wouldn't upset me, but phoning it in again would. And I suspect Coach peeled the paint off the walls last night.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2011 09:50AM by Trotsky.

Date: February 12, 2011 09:49AM

These stupid penalties....The frequent pushing/shoving/yapping during play stoppages...

Am I alone in thinking that this is the most undisciplined team in Mike's era?

I recall players on many of his teams immediately dropping their arms by their sides & skating away when the yapping started...What happened to those days? Is he not teaching that these days or has he brought in players who don't buy into it?

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 12, 2011 09:58AM

Whoa, whoa, whoa. There were only two posts in this thread when I went to sleep last night. I assumed that we all had an unspoken agreement not to discuss this game ever.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: February 12, 2011 10:18AM

Oh please. His boarding call at the start was extremely soft. I'll call it boarding when it's boarding, but that was a clean hit. As for the penalty at the end, it was announced as a game misconduct at the rink, listed as a DQ in the box score. I guess we'll find out what it is tonight because if he's eligible to play, I'm sure he will. At least he was out there making an effort, which is more than I can say about a lot of the other guys. And I'm sure it was precipitated by something and not just a random act. You can spread blame all around for that game, but lay off Nicholls. And Tim, if you're going to bitch about the fight, maybe you should have at least stuck around to see it.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2011 10:19AM

What game? We are discussing the events in the Middle East.

Dan Nicholls, meet Jennifer Beals
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2011 10:29AM

[clear]
In tragedy there is humor. When Dan Nicholls punched Union's Andrew Buote and wrestled him to the ice (19:23, third), he managed to get Buote's shoulder pads off and onto the ice even though Buote's jersey remained on. This must be an unspoken Ivy League skill: Jennifer Beals, Yale '87, got her bra off without removing her sweatshirt in Flashdance. The first time was more entertaining.

There was so much wrong with Friday's game and it really should be considered a team effort, spearheaded by the Nicholls meltdown if you could give inverse star of the game awards. Too bad he's not in pro hockey where "crowd-pleaser" might apply.

The first period failed breakout of backwards clearing passes and a turnover behind our net that led to Union's second goal was a snapshot of our difficulties on defense this season.

But, wow, basketball beat Penn in OT.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2011 12:20PM by billhoward.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2011 11:05AM

CowbellGuy
Oh please. His boarding call at the start was extremely soft. I'll call it boarding when it's boarding, but that was a clean hit. As for the penalty at the end, it was announced as a game misconduct at the rink, listed as a DQ in the box score. I guess we'll find out what it is tonight because if he's eligible to play, I'm sure he will. At least he was out there making an effort, which is more than I can say about a lot of the other guys. And I'm sure it was precipitated by something and not just a random act. You can spread blame all around for that game, but lay off Nicholls. And Tim, if you're going to bitch about the fight, maybe you should have at least stuck around to see it.
Agreed, and I actually wondered if Nichols went out (sent out? I doubt it.) to fight after the cheap shot at mid ice by Union. I mean blindside hitting a guy high with a 4-0 lead and 40 sec. to go? There was a scrum after that, but Union got the extra penalty. Then Nichols comes out late on the line change and starts a fight, hmm...

However for me the crowning moment was when I got mugged by a Union student as I was walking to the other side of the rink to hand out newspapers. I guess he thought he was a big guy, shoving a 65yo and stealing the newspapers. I felt fine going back to my seat to get more and walking back by him. Jerk.

Date: February 12, 2011 11:35AM

Oh please yourself.

I stay for every game but 1 in 46 years and you chide me for leaving? I was sitting in section 3 of the upper deck, surrounded by yahoos intentionally ringing their cowbells in my ear. I left because, among other things, I was dangerously close to assault and battery.

I was "bitching" about Nicholls' penalty, which in spite of your opinion (and mine as well at the time, actually) still resulted in a quick, ultimately game-winning goal on the road against a fired up team and raucous crowd. I'm also bitching about his general lack of discipline, whether he was sent out for that purpose or not. He is second on the team in PIM, which I'm sure you know. He now leads the team in majors. So give him your "A" for effort, but don't tell me or anyone else who to lay off. That's beyond your moderator position.

Date: February 12, 2011 11:37AM

Sorry to hear that happened to you, Jim...Not surprised, but still sorry...

I've only been to Union's rink once...And, they quickly got attention as being very similar to Colgate's fans...Classless & clueless....

-Ned Harkness

Date: February 12, 2011 11:40AM

Jim Hyla
Agreed, and I actually wondered if Nichols went out (sent out? I doubt it.) to fight after the cheap shot at mid ice by Union. I mean blindside hitting a guy high with a 4-0 lead and 40 sec. to go? There was a scrum after that, but Union got the extra penalty. Then Nichols comes out late on the line change and starts a fight, hmm...

Jim, was Buote the Union player who made that hit?

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2011 12:27PM

Who doesn't think the other teams' fans are classless and clueless, especially when you've just been drubbed? (Okay, Quinnipiac, rink envy on our part, thundersticks, and early third-period departures to get ready for postgaming ... ) There was a Union fan behind me who was perplexed why oh why Cornell would pull its goalie with 5 minutes to play. I can see that being a fair question until someone explains, only once hopefully, that in a 4x4 situation adding the extra attacker for a 5x4 advantage is better than 6x5 with 2-1/2 minutes left.

Notice how the defeat has also broken our ranks into groups who think one has a better explanation for the loss than the other.

Posted by: redice (---.sub-75-213-176.myvzw.com)
Date: February 12, 2011 02:40PM

redice
Sorry to hear that happened to you, Jim...Not surprised, but still sorry...

I've only been to Union's rink once...And, they quickly got attention as being very similar to Colgate's fans...Classless & clueless....

Actually, I've been to Union's rink twice....For the playoff series a few years ago...We won and their fans were still Classless & clueless!!! They were much quieter as they exited the building after the series clincher went against them...asshole

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: February 12, 2011 07:40PM

Al DeFlorio

#45 in my list of "100 Sentences You Would Never Expect To See in Your Lifetime".

Posted by: kicksave (---.189.45.173.cable.haefele.htva.net)
Date: February 12, 2011 08:06PM

Need a "like" button for Roy 82's post!

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2011 10:06PM

TimV
Jim Hyla

Jim, was Buote the Union player who made that hit?
No, I think it had to be Stuart. He got the Contact to the Head penalty. Buote was still on the ice for the fight. But that's one reason I like to review the games.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: February 13, 2011 07:31PM

Roy 82
Al DeFlorio

#45 in my list of "100 Sentences You Would Never Expect To See in Your Lifetime".
No wonder there's been so much snow this winter. Hell has in fact frozen over.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 13, 2011 10:57PM

KeithK
Roy 82
Al DeFlorio

No wonder there's been so much snow this winter. Hell has in fact frozen over.

I like this one better.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login