Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Alumni in the Pros - February 2011

Posted by Jim Hyla 
Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Alumni in the Pros - February 2011
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: February 01, 2011 07:52AM

Via ECAC site, Binghamton Press article on Greening's call up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2011 10:07AM by Beeeej.

Re: Alumni in the Pros - February 2011
Posted by: jkahn (---.73.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: February 01, 2011 10:48AM

Montreal Gazette article on Greening's call-up:
[www.montrealgazette.com]

Since first seeing him play, I've always thought he'll be a very solid NHLer. Looking forward to watching the game tonight if the storm doesn't screw up my Directv dish.

Posted by: Ronald '09 (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 01, 2011 06:52PM

It appears he will be wearing number 52. On MSG.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2011 07:22PM

Ronald '09
It appears he will be wearing number 52. On MSG.

Thank you. I tuned in after they showed the line-ups and was wondering what # Greening would be wearing.

The good thing about Mike Emerick calling the game is that he does give "shout-outs" to the college that someone played at. Maybe he'll even point out if Greening's parents are in the stands watching.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2011 07:24PM by Rita.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: February 01, 2011 07:36PM

Yep, #52. Had a nice breakout on his third shift under heavy pressure. Looked a step slow on the forecheck but not surprising at this level. 4 shifts and 3 mins of ice time so far in the first period.

Posted by: jkahn (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: February 01, 2011 07:51PM

I'm watching the Rogers Sports Net broadcast even though Directv doesn't have that in HD, rather than the Devils' broadcast. Pre-game they featured Colin -"we'll be back with Colin Greening's first NHL game next", talked a lot about him during the first period, showed his parents in the crowd a few times, and then had an interview with him when he came off the ice at the end of the first. He described the call telling him he was coming up as "surreal" and how glad he was that his parents could get to the game since they sacrificed so much for him.

Posted by: nr53 (---.cisco.com)
Date: February 01, 2011 08:11PM

Did I just hear the Devils announcers say that Greening went to UMass-Lowell? ::sigh::

Posted by: nr53 (---.cisco.com)
Date: February 01, 2011 08:25PM

Twice.

Date: February 01, 2011 09:23PM

At the end of the game, a 2-1 Senators' loss, the Ottawa broadcast zoomed in on someone holding a Greening Cornell jersey. The owner first held up the back and then he turned it to the CORNELL front. If you're reading this, please let us know who you are - good work getting it on TV.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: February 01, 2011 09:45PM

Greening was on the ice for 08:05 and didn't register any shots.

Posted by: rojo (---.new-york-05rh15-16rt.ny.dial-access.att.net)
Date: February 02, 2011 12:55AM

I am the mystery fan. I was determined to get as close to the glass as possible after getting a lower-bowl seat for a mere $30. Called my friend Joe, whose Greening jersey I borrowed. Met up with him (he had to play lawyer and stay late at the office--too bad) before hopping the Path to the Rock. I made it impossible for the Ottawa cameraman to ignore me. I kept shouting for Colin. Welcomed him to the big show. Glad you got the feed for the Ottawa broadcast. Some Sens fans stopped me to chat between periods; they seemed happy about Greening's call-up. A special experience indeed! Even some goosebumps! Oh, and Greening was definitely aware that I was bleeding red. Were other Faithful there? I couldn't tell.

Craig Moskowitz '83

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2011 06:42AM

I keep a Cornell jersey handy in case there's a game at the Prudential where the visitors have a Cornellian playing. Love the rink and the Devils (more so in previous years), wish a ticket plus parking plus concessions didn't cost more than season tickets at Lynah. What we pay for tickets is helping Moulson pay off his student loans. Managed to do a Prudential morning tour just before Xmas when the Islanders were in town and they came on the ice for the morning skate; nice to see Moulson then.

Posted by: rmandel (72.54.9.---)
Date: February 02, 2011 10:20AM

The Cornell Atlanta Alumni Association attended the Thrashers game last night (2/1) to watch Matt Moulson and the Islanders. Before the game we were joined by Darren Eliot who gave a shout out to the "33 Cornell alumni in Section 301 tonight" during the TV broadcast. Moulson did not score, but the Islanders won 4-1.

Attachments:
open | download - Eliot.pdf (183.6 KB)
open | download - Moulson.pdf (157.2 KB)
Date: February 02, 2011 10:33AM

It looked like Moulson had a goal on a deflection, the announcers initially said it was him. 7 SOG I think I saw? Sounds like a dominating effort, albeit without a point (but a W).

Posted by: rmandel (72.54.9.---)
Date: February 02, 2011 11:57AM

We thought it was tipped in by Moulson as well.

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2011 12:18PM

RatushnyFan
It looked like Moulson had a goal on a deflection, the announcers initially said it was him. 7 SOG I think I saw? Sounds like a dominating effort, albeit without a point (but a W).
Matt was in front screening and it was tipped by the d-man's stick who was trying to cover Matt. I like the way, as soon as it went in, that Matt pointed to Travis Hamonic, saying in effect "that's your goal" - as it was the kid's first NHL goal.

Posted by: jts15 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2011 01:04PM

Some talk and links to articles regarding Greening's call up.
[www.silversevensens.com]

Date: February 02, 2011 01:48PM

Posted by: Rita (129.171.150.---)
Date: February 02, 2011 04:25PM

Just saw this link posted on the NHL.com website about Matt Moulson. Apparently the 9th round in 2003 was a very good round for late bloomers.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: February 02, 2011 04:31PM

And if you didn't already hear, Colin was sent back down to Binghamton.

Posted by: Rita (129.171.150.---)
Date: February 02, 2011 04:46PM

CowbellGuy

That was more like a cuban coffee than a Starbuck's Grande. :-/

I hope he gets another shot at it soon.

Posted by: redice (---.sub-75-194-245.myvzw.com)
Date: February 02, 2011 04:50PM

Transactions
Idaho’s Evan Barlow has been suspended for two games and fined an undisclosed amount as a result of his actions in ECHL Game #413, Idaho at Stockton, on Jan. 30.

Barlow is fined and suspended under Rule #28 – Supplementary Discipline.

Barlow will miss Idaho’s games vs. Ontario on Feb. 1 and vs. Bakersfield on Feb. 9.

Odessa Jackalopes of CHL
02/01/11 McKee, David (G) granted leave by league

-Ned Harkness

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2011 04:55PM by redice.

Date: February 02, 2011 06:09PM

8 minutes and 5 seconds............hmm. I sort of think if your season isn't going that well and you're evaluating young talent, you should give them 4-5 games with 15 minutes of ice time. I don't know how you can make much of a determination in 8 minutes.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2011 09:16PM by RatushnyFan.

Posted by: redice (---.sub-75-213-37.myvzw.com)
Date: February 02, 2011 07:58PM

He saw 3:59 ice time in the first period....It looks like his ice time was cut substantially after the first intermission. I wonder what this indicates....

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: redice (---.sub-75-194-198.myvzw.com)
Date: February 03, 2011 09:04AM

Feb 3rd Transactions:
Dallas Stars Raymond Sawada Called up from minors, from Texas-AHL

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: scoop85 (173.84.100.---)
Date: February 03, 2011 09:39AM

redice
He saw 3:59 ice time in the first period....It looks like his ice time was cut substantially after the first intermission. I wonder what this indicates....

I saw him at one point in the 3rd period where he and his line mates kept the puck in the Devils zone for quite ahwile. I thought he certainly looked like he belong during that shift.

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: February 03, 2011 11:39AM

Rita
CowbellGuy

Well, the original announcement of the call-up on the Senators' site said it was "on an emergency basis to replace Jarkko Ruutu," and seeing that Ruutu returned on Feb. 2, this isn't terribly surprising. Too bad it didn't happen earlier to get Colin a few more games.

Date: February 03, 2011 05:32PM

RichH
Rita
CowbellGuy

Well, the original announcement of the call-up on the Senators' site said it was "on an emergency basis to replace Jarkko Ruutu," and seeing that Ruutu returned on Feb. 2, this isn't terribly surprising. Too bad it didn't happen earlier to get Colin a few more games.

If it was an emergency call-up, they actually would have had to call him up again to keep him up after the injured player returned. This is simply book keeping for a young player who can be called up or sent down at any time, but it matters for a veteran who needs to clear through reentry waivers to be called up. An emergency call-up does not get exposed to waivers, but must be returned to the minors or pass through reentry waivers in order to reactivate the injured player. This is getting off topic, but a prominent case that comes to mind was two seasons ago when Marty Brodeur got hurt and Scott Clemmensen got called up on an emergency basis and ended up winning 25 games. When Marty returned, he was sent to the minors and Kevin Weekes remained the backup because he certainly would have been claimed on reentry waivers for half his salary, which I believe was veteran minimum that season. I can't imagine too many goalies have won 25 games and finished the regular season in the minors before.

Posted by: cquinn (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: February 03, 2011 08:46PM

Sawada called up to Dallas and must really be seeing stars...saw the hit on NESN, this from Boston.com...
" Under the provisions of NHL Rule 48, Daniel Paille was sent off for a 5-minute major and match penalty for a headshot after he leveled Raymond Sawada with a crunching blindside hit in which Paille's elbow caught Sawada in the head."

Announcers believe the play will be reviewed post-game for possible additional action on Paille.
I'm sure the hit will be available soon on highlights.

Posted by: Cactus12 (---.med.nyu.edu)
Date: February 04, 2011 12:09AM

Just saw the video-
Paille angles in from behind, leads with an elbow to the head, and leaves his feet on a blindside hit on Sawada.
This should (and very likely will) be a suspension. I hope Sawada's not concussed.

I sometimes complain about players not protecting themselves (esp. along the boards), but this hit was just plain dirty. Even if Sawada's head is up he doesn't see Paille coming. Really dangerous and disrespectful.

Posted by: amerks127 (---.hsd1.dc.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2011 12:47AM

Cactus12
Just saw the video-
Paille angles in from behind, leads with an elbow to the head, and leaves his feet on a blindside hit on Sawada.
This should (and very likely will) be a suspension. I hope Sawada's not concussed.

I sometimes complain about players not protecting themselves (esp. along the boards), but this hit was just plain dirty. Even if Sawada's head is up he doesn't see Paille coming. Really dangerous and disrespectful.

Here's a link to game highlights. It was definitely a wild one in Boston tonight.

[watch.tsn.ca]

Posted by: jts15 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2011 08:16AM

Here is a link to video of just the hit on Sawada. Paul Kukla says in the comments that there is a report of a broken nose and separated shoulder.

[www.kuklaskorner.com]

Posted by: ftyuv (---.c3-0.smr-ubr1.sbo-smr.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: February 04, 2011 09:29AM

That hit was disturbingly similar to the Matt Cooke hit on Savard last year. Bruins should know better.

Posted by: cquinn (---.goodrich.com)
Date: February 04, 2011 01:26PM

Paille received a 4 game suspension and a $23,118.28 fine for the hit on Sawada.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: February 04, 2011 04:11PM

jts15
Here is a link to video of just the hit on Sawada. Paul Kukla says in the comments that there is a report of a broken nose and separated shoulder.

[www.kuklaskorner.com]

Ow. After watching that, I had to flash back to a happier memory for Sawada:

Moulson and Iggulden get deserved praise from the announcers, but watch what Ray does: out of the penalty box, he makes the original breakout pass to Iggy for the first chance, then forces the turnover in the OSU zone to allow Moulson to pass to Iggulden for the goal.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: February 04, 2011 09:47PM

On the Miami-Michigan game tonight, the camera focused on Topher Scott and the announcer discussed how smaller players don't really get a fair shot at the next level, and mentioned Ryan Vesce also. His related this to Miami players Camper and Miele, who are also somewhat small in stature - not a small as Topher and Ryan though.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2011 10:57PM

cquinn
Paille received a 4 game suspension and a $23,118.28 fine for the hit on Sawada.
And here's Paille and his coach saying that it was Sawada's fault. [watch.tsn.ca] The announcers don't comment, but the multiple replays of the hit make it clear that that the producers think it was dirty.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2011 10:58PM by David Harding.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2011 11:14PM

David Harding
cquinn
And here's Paille and his coach saying that it was Sawada's fault. [watch.tsn.ca] The announcers don't comment, but the multiple replays of the hit make it clear that that the producers think it was dirty.
Interestingly, although he says he was trying for the shoulder, if anything it looks like Sawada was actually starting to stand straighter as he was being hit. Sort of negates that it was Sawada's fault.

Date: February 04, 2011 11:15PM

David Harding
cquinn
Paille's teammates, Andrew Ference and Patrice Bergeron, both have made comments that they thought it was a dirty play. "We can't be hypocrites" said Ference.
[sports.espn.go.com]
Even without the crackdown on hits to the head, Paille was charging and elbowing.
In between periods of the DU-CC game tonight, they showed a replay of a hit that broke a DU player's neck early this season, and it was a very similar hit. Fortunately the player is up and walking with a heavy neck brace.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2011 11:22PM by jkahn.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 05, 2011 10:45AM

cquinn
The AP article in yesterday's Cape Cod Times gave the hit one sentence:

"Daniel Paille received a match penalty for a head shot on Sutherby.":-|

Date: February 05, 2011 10:56AM

Interestingly enough, the "was Paille's suspension justified?" poll on Boston.com's Bruins blog is pretty evenly divided. Personally I think 4 games is good. Paille isn't a dirty player, but the hit was dirty. Hopefully the NHL is sending the message that dirty without intent is 4 games, so if you throw in intent (ahem, Matt Cooke) you better be prepared to sit for a good, long while.

Posted by: cbuckser (---.dsl.scrm01.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 05, 2011 03:41PM

Ben Scrivens is back in the ECHL. He was peppered with 52 shots last night, and he stopped 50 of them to lead the Reading Royals to beat the Trenton Devils 4-2.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 05, 2011 10:10PM

ftyuv
Interestingly enough, the "was Paille's suspension justified?" poll on Boston.com's Bruins blog is pretty evenly divided. Personally I think 4 games is good. Paille isn't a dirty player, but the hit was dirty. Hopefully the NHL is sending the message that dirty without intent is 4 games, so if you throw in intent (ahem, Matt Cooke) you better be prepared to sit for a good, long while.
Bruins fans and fans of Gordie Howe hockey can see enough in the replay to see a hard hit on a player who wasn't looking around so, sure, the poll could be evenly divided. Could Paille have delivered a check that was more check and less corporal punishment? Certainly.

Paille teammate Andrew Ference criticizes the hit (“I mean, it’s a bad hit, right?” [you'd think he'd say "eh" unless the Times cleaned it up]) and dings Sidney Crosby for not doing same when a Pengins teammate delivered a cheap shot on the Bruins' Marc Savard. [slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2011 10:17PM by billhoward.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 05, 2011 11:19PM

billhoward
Could Paille have delivered a check that was more check and less corporal punishment? Certainly.

This is the problem. As Bob McKenzie pointed out after that game, Paille could have easily taken the puck without making the hit. As he said, the point of hitting has stopped being about separating the player from the puck when you start making hits like that (It essentially prevented Paille from even getting the puck because he left the hit). I think the NHL needs to more drastically punish hits like that, the ones that are just about devastating the player you are hitting, and I am not one of the people that "want to take hitting out of the game" just because I say that.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2011 09:14AM

Moulson got his 18th on a nice second-effort in front of the net in the Isles 5-3 win over Ottawa last night.

Date: February 07, 2011 09:14AM

billhoward
ftyuv
Bruins fans and fans of Gordie Howe hockey can see enough in the replay to see a hard hit on a player who wasn't looking around so, sure, the poll could be evenly divided. Could Paille have delivered a check that was more check and less corporal punishment? Certainly.

Paille teammate Andrew Ference criticizes the hit (“I mean, it’s a bad hit, right?” [you'd think he'd say "eh" unless the Times cleaned it up]) and dings Sidney Crosby for not doing same when a Pengins teammate delivered a cheap shot on the Bruins' Marc Savard. [slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com]

Just to be clear, I was pleasantly surprised by how many Bruins fans saw it as a dirty hit. We're not all homers!

Posted by: dbilmes (69.183.41.---)
Date: February 08, 2011 12:21PM

Globe columnist Dan Shaughnessy defends Ference for telling it like it is about his teammate's hit that injured Sawada, while some other hockey neanderthals like Don Cherry say you never badmouth a teammate, even if he's an ax murderer. No wonder they can't eliminate fighting from the NHL!

Posted by: CKinsland (---.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: February 09, 2011 01:03PM

Interview with Scrivens in the Cornell Daily Sun.

Posted by: profudge (---.ct.us.ibm.com)
Date: February 09, 2011 03:37PM

And Douglas Murray gets a Hit of the Night!

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: February 09, 2011 05:27PM

profudge
And Douglas Murray gets a Hit of the Night!

After setting a franchise record with 7 blocked shots the previous game against the Bruins.

(back to back defensive oriented 2-0 shutouts. Maybe Douglas suggested that the Sharks take a look at Schafer's game strategy.)

Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2011 07:59PM

Matt Moulson gets his 19th goal of the season on the PP with a great pass from Tavares Tuesday night in the Islander's 5-3 loss to Toronto.

Posted by: jeff '84 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 11, 2011 08:44PM

Larry72
Matt Moulson gets his 19th goal of the season on the PP with a great pass from Tavares Tuesday night in the Islander's 5-3 loss to Toronto.

... And he just got #20 (Isles crushing Pens 7-2 in second.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 11, 2011 08:45PM

jeff '84
Larry72

... And he just got #20 (Isles crushing Pens 7-2 in second.

Just flipped it on and caught the goal. Thought surely I was seeing a typo on the top of the screen!

Date: February 11, 2011 08:55PM

.... and 21st.... yeah crazy game.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: February 13, 2011 03:36PM

Not "in" the pros; more like "at" the pros: I just noticed someone with a "Cornell Hockey" t-shirt or sweatshirt sitting right behind the visiting bench on today's Kings-Flyers game.

(Didn't feel the need for a new thread).

Posted by: cbuckser (---.dsl.scrm01.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 15, 2011 02:32PM

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: February 15, 2011 06:41PM

From another article, [url=assign a fragment identifier to each of a plurality of backbone fragments, each of the backbone fragments comprising one or more of the backbone nodes, each of the backbone fragments being unable to communicate with the remaining backbone fragments due to a fragmentation of the communication network]"Youth Movement"[/url], on the Canadiens' website:[quote]With Tuesday morning’s call-up of defenseman Brendon Nash, Habs head-coach Jacques Martin can now count five Bulldogs in his lineup and none of them are there to play the spectator’s role.

Another Hamilton transplant that stands the chance to make a splash of his own is Brendon Nash who could find himself in the Canadiens lineup as early as tonight’s game against Buffalo should Jaroslav Spacek be unable to play. Max Pacioretty, one of Nash’s former teammates, doesn’t doubt for a second that the young defenseman will answer the call if given the opportunity.

“Brendon’s got great hands and really good stick work. He’s a really useful guy to have on the power-play and he’s good at starting the rush. I’m sure he’s going to be able to do all the things here that brought him success in Hamilton,” promised Pacioretty. “Playing at this level, at this time of the year is something that makes us all better players.”[/quote]Tonight's Habs-Sabres game is on Vs. for those who might be interested in watching, though at this point it's not clear whether Nash will play.

Date: February 15, 2011 07:22PM

Sounds like he will be in the lineup and wearing number 47. 7:30 on VS. He's expected to be paired with Yannick Weber.

He played 5 shifts totaling 3:37 in the first. Most of that was in the first half of the period. He only played 22 seconds in the latter half of the period. 2 shots on goal, one shot attempted blocked, one blocked shot.

The best place to follow for detailed statistics is here: [www.nhl.com]
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2011 08:15PM by Ronald '09.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 15, 2011 08:25PM

Ronald '09

Sounds like he will be in the lineup and wearing number 47. 7:30 on VS. He's expected to be paired with Yannick Weber.

He played 5 shifts totaling 3:37 in the first. Most of that was in the first half of the period. He only played 22 seconds in the latter half of the period. 2 shots on goal, one shot attempted blocked, one blocked shot.

The best place to follow for detailed statistics is here: [www.nhl.com]
This, to me, is the most amazing of our grads. Remember how many of us talked about him; not believing in his skills. Joined as a free agent, and called up this year. Now, he probably won't stay, but just doing it is great. How I'd like to have him back.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 15, 2011 08:42PM

Josh '99
...assign a fragment identifier to each of a plurality of backbone fragments, each of the backbone fragments comprising one or more of the backbone nodes, each of the backbone fragments being unable to communicate with the remaining backbone fragments due to a fragmentation of the communication network...
Are you doing medmal work or something?

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: February 15, 2011 09:20PM

Unfortunately, the Versus feed froze about 25 minute ago, and all we're getting is a still image of stopped play about midway through the second period. Or is it just me (or just my cable provider)? Can anybody else report being able to watch the game live at the moment?

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: reilly83 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 15, 2011 09:23PM

Beeeej
Unfortunately, the Versus feed froze about 25 minute ago, and all we're getting is a still image of stopped play about midway through the second period. Or is it just me (or just my cable provider)? Can anybody else report being able to watch the game live at the moment?

I am having no problems with versus right now on Time Warner Ithaca, Its intermission report. Had no problems with the game either.

Date: February 15, 2011 09:24PM

reilly83
Beeeej

I am having no problems with versus right now on Time Warner Ithaca, Its intermission report. Had no problems with the game either.

Well, crap. I guess it's TWCNY.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 15, 2011 09:25PM

Nash and CU got a nice shout-out from Pierre McGuire in the 2nd (and I'm paraphrasing):"Brendon Nash out of Cornell University is having a fine game."
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2011 09:26PM by scoop85.

Date: February 15, 2011 09:26PM

Looks like it was my TiVo being temperamental... the game's back now (or at least the commercial break is).

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 15, 2011 09:50PM

scoop85
Nash and CU got a nice shout-out from Pierre McGuire in the 2nd (and I'm paraphrasing):"Brendon Nash out of Cornell University is having a fine game."

OTOH, the other night I was listening to a game in my car, and the announcers singled out Douglas Murray. They mentioned his Swedish heritage and that he played high school hockey on Long Island, but did not mention even that he went to college. :`-(

Date: February 15, 2011 09:51PM

Swampy
scoop85

OTOH, the other night I was listening to a game in my car, and the announcers singled out Douglas Murray. They mentioned his Swedish heritage and that he played high school hockey on Long Island, but did not mention even that he went to college. :`-(

The VS announcers didn't get the memo that Brendon's brother Riley is now a top prospect with CAROLINA and not Edmonton.

Date: February 16, 2011 07:45AM

On the bright side, I watched the Flyers-Tampa game last night and not once did I have to hear that Dominic Moore went to Sucks. moon

Date: February 16, 2011 09:39AM

Jim Hyla
This, to me, is the most amazing of our grads. Remember how many of us talked about him; not believing in his skills. Joined as a free agent, and called up this year. Now, he probably won't stay, but just doing it is great. How I'd like to have him back.
I only saw him play a couple of times a year at Cornell, so I didn't weigh in too much, but to me he always looked like a really smart player with size and enough skating ability. I'm amazed that he's leading the Bulldogs in scoring among defensemen and a +12 his first year in the AHL. Hopefully that warrants an extended look with the Canadiens at some point. Given his size I like to think that somebody is going to give him a shot.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2011 09:57AM

ugarte
Josh '99
...assign a fragment identifier to each of a plurality of backbone fragments, each of the backbone fragments comprising one or more of the backbone nodes, each of the backbone fragments being unable to communicate with the remaining backbone fragments due to a fragmentation of the communication network...
Wow, that was... umm... not the right copy-paste? blush

Date: February 16, 2011 10:18AM

Josh '99
ugarte
Josh '99
Wow, that was... umm... not the right copy-paste? blush
It was better than this effort: Major Gaffe

[Note: this is only funny once it was determined that the reporter was NOT having a stroke or medical issue]

Posted by: amerks127 (---.inet6.dpw.com)
Date: February 16, 2011 10:49AM

RatushnyFan
Jim Hyla
I only saw him play a couple of times a year at Cornell, so I didn't weigh in too much, but to me he always looked like a really smart player with size and enough skating ability. I'm amazed that he's leading the Bulldogs in scoring among defensemen and a +12 his first year in the AHL. Hopefully that warrants an extended look with the Canadiens at some point. Given his size I like to think that somebody is going to give him a shot.

I don't mean to imply that I'm not happy for Nash's success at the pro level. However, I think you are too quickly forgetting his production as a defensemen with Cornell. On a team where Devin, Krueger and D'Agostino were collectively a +44, Nash was a -1. His point production and goal production don't stand out, and he took more than double the penalty minutes of the next closest defenseman.

2009-2010 ECAC Statistics (apologies for the formatting):

Name GP Points G A PIM +/-
Mike Devin 32 14 2 12 22 +14
Keir Ross 28 6 2 4 12 +2
Justin Krueger 34 10 1 9 22 +17
Nick D'Agostino 32 18 4 14 6 +13
Braden Birch 32 4 0 4 10 +4
Sean Whitney 25 11 3 8 10 +4
Brendon Nash 33 18 2 16 48 -1
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2011 11:26AM by amerks127.

Date: February 16, 2011 02:18PM

Again, I have a sample size issue, but didn't he generally play against the top lines? I look at John Madden's +/- last year and this year, and I don't think that he suddenly become a poor defensive forward. He has a tough role.

It would seem to me that he either got a lot better (to be so productive at the AHL with a +12 and an NHL appearance) or he was pretty good to begin with, or some combination thereof.

Of course my +/- explanation could be an excuse for any player, the key is the game situations where the player is used.

Date: February 16, 2011 05:31PM

amerks127
RatushnyFan
Jim Hyla

I don't mean to imply that I'm not happy for Nash's success at the pro level. However, I think you are too quickly forgetting his production as a defensemen with Cornell. On a team where Devin, Krueger and D'Agostino were collectively a +44, Nash was a -1. His point production and goal production don't stand out, and he took more than double the penalty minutes of the next closest defenseman.

2009-2010 ECAC Statistics (apologies for the formatting):

Name GP Points G A PIM +/-
Mike Devin 32 14 2 12 22 +14
Keir Ross 28 6 2 4 12 +2
Justin Krueger 34 10 1 9 22 +17
Nick D'Agostino 32 18 4 14 6 +13
Braden Birch 32 4 0 4 10 +4
Sean Whitney 25 11 3 8 10 +4
Brendon Nash 33 18 2 16 48 -1
But you prove my point. Many on this board kept saying how bad he was and how bad it was that Schafer kept using him in clutch situations. But for some reason he was picked as an All-American, and now he gets called up to the NHL, less than 1 year out of college. Hmm.., maybe he really is a good player after all? All I know is that I'd like to have him back.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: February 16, 2011 05:38PM

Jim Hyla
Many on this board kept saying how bad he was and how bad it was that Schafer kept using him in clutch situations.
I don't think it was so much "many" as a couple highly dedicated posters. :) There was a similar situation with Murray and O'Byrne. It must be something about defensemen. ;)

Posted by: Robb (---.198-178.cust.bluewin.ch)
Date: February 16, 2011 06:02PM

Trotsky
Jim Hyla
Many on this board kept saying how bad he was and how bad it was that Schafer kept using him in clutch situations.
I don't think it was so much "many" as a couple highly dedicated posters. :) There was a similar situation with Murray and O'Byrne. It must be something about defensemen. ;)
...who go on to play in the NHL.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: February 16, 2011 10:00PM

Recall that we often criticized Brendon Nash for being too aggressive offensively. He would carry the puck deep into the zone and then be out of position to cover a rush going back the other way. Or, he would make poor shot choices from the point on the powerplay that would lead to 2x1s the other way. This same offensive-mindedness might be seen as an asset at the professional level, where teams do not necessarily have a defense-first mentality.

No one disputes that Schafer used Nash in key situations. He has size and I've seen him make plenty of nice plays to, for example, strip opponents of the puck along the boards. He also made plenty of mistakes that were not - in my opinion, at least - fitting for an All-American defenseman. Once you began to look for these mistakes, they were easy to notice. It's not like Nash was lighting up the scoresheet, so I assume that the All-America selection was made on the basis of his defensive play. I continue to believe that Colin Greening will have more of an impact at the NHL level than will Brendon Nash. Like Mitch, I wish all Cornellians success at the professional level.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2011 02:00AM

ebilmes
Or, he would make poor shot choices from the point on the powerplay that would lead to 2x1s the other way. This same offensive-mindedness might be seen as an asset at the professional level, where teams do not necessarily have a defense-first mentality.
Teams might not have a defense-first mentality, but there isn't a coach in the NHL (or the AHL, or the ECHL) who thinks it's acceptable to take a badly chosen shot from the point and give up a shorthanded 2x1.

(Which doesn't disprove your overall point, of course.)

Date: February 17, 2011 07:28AM

Via ECAC Website Nash gets to travel with the Canadiens out west and a piece from The Canadiens' website.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2011 07:31AM by Jim Hyla.

Date: February 17, 2011 07:42AM

Jim Hyla
Via ECAC Website Nash gets to travel with the Canadiens out west and a piece from The Canadiens' website.

The Habs traded a 5th round pick to Anaheim for Paul Mara, so I would think that likely leaves Nash as the odd man out, unless they go with 7 defensemen.

Also, in regards to the system he's playing in now, head coach Jacques Martin almost exclusively employs the trap in 5x5. I'm not sure who coaches Hamilton, but I think every AHL team plays the same system as their parent club these days.

Date: February 17, 2011 08:20AM

Ronald '09
Jim Hyla

The Habs traded a 5th round pick to Anaheim for Paul Mara, so I would think that likely leaves Nash as the odd man out, unless they go with 7 defensemen.

Also, in regards to the system he's playing in now, head coach Jacques Martin almost exclusively employs the trap in 5x5. I'm not sure who coaches Hamilton, but I think every AHL team plays the same system as their parent club these days.

The first article said that Subban played over 29 minutes in the Buffalo game (!). Doubtful he can sustain that for too many games in a row, so you'd have to think Nash will get some more ice time as he gets his legs under him.

Date: February 17, 2011 09:12AM

JS Giguere left last night's game for Toronto with an injury. With Gustavsson and Rynnas injured, they would likely call up Scrivens if they need a goalie. They don't play until Saturday though, and Giguere may be fine. Even if Scrivens does get called up, it would likely only be to backup Reimer, and it doesn't sound as though the Giguere injury is going to be long-term.

Posted by: RichH (167.225.107.---)
Date: February 17, 2011 10:52AM

ebilmes
Recall that we often criticized Brendon Nash for being too aggressive offensively.

The criticism on this forum I most remember was that he seemed "uninterested" or that he "didn't care." That led to the whole debate about quantifiable "heart." His skating style was controlled, upright, and smooth, which probably made him look slower to some. My opinion was always that he was one of the strongest skaters on the team. In my opinion, he had more consistency in his decision-making during his first 2 seasons than his last 2 (maybe due to an increased role in the blue-line corps?), but he always had the skill-set to make it to the NHL.

I'm trying to resist doing an "I told you so" to all the "BRENDON SUCKS! Why is he getting so much ice time?" crowd, but I just failed in that effort in this very sentence.

Posted by: Kristi 97 (74.203.65.---)
Date: February 17, 2011 12:47PM

Colin Greening gets another emergency call-up from Binghamton to Ottawa with the Bruins (H) and Leafs (A) on the Fri-Sat schedule.

Date: February 17, 2011 02:05PM

Ronald '09
JS Giguere left last night's game for Toronto with an injury. With Gustavsson and Rynnas injured, they would likely call up Scrivens if they need a goalie. They don't play until Saturday though, and Giguere may be fine. Even if Scrivens does get called up, it would likely only be to backup Reimer, and it doesn't sound as though the Giguere injury is going to be long-term.
Burke doesn't seem to acknowledge Scrivens as an option.........for whatever this is worth http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2011/02/17/sp-leafs-goalie.html?ref=rss#ixzz1EFB3WJkS

Posted by: cbuckser (134.186.175.---)
Date: February 17, 2011 06:47PM

Kristi 97
Colin Greening gets another emergency call-up from Binghamton to Ottawa with the Bruins (H) and Leafs (A) on the Fri-Sat schedule.
The Senators traded Jarkko Ruutu to the Ducks today. The Sens' fire sale should lead to plenty of NHL action for Colin Greening.

Date: February 17, 2011 09:33PM

B Nash playing again for Habs tonight. Per CBC announcer, he's "in the lineup because Paul Mara's equipment didn't get here."

Date: February 17, 2011 09:43PM

jkahn
B Nash playing again for Habs tonight. Per CBC announcer, he's "in the lineup because Paul Mara's equipment didn't get here."

Brendon might be getting a bit more ice time because Habs D-man Wisniewski (#20) took a puck in the face. Given the amount of blood on the ice, it might take awhile to stitch him up.

EDIT: Ouch. Edmonton just scored their 2nd goal in 15 seconds and as the CBC announcers put it "Nash was the goat on that play" (their words, not mine!). On the play, Nash got hung up at the offensive blueline and couldn't recover.

Douglas Murray will have a busy night keeping Ovechkin and the Caps in check.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2011 11:09PM by Rita.

Date: February 18, 2011 10:20AM

Damien Cox of the Toronto Star is reporting that Scrivens will likley start for the Marlies tonight and then be called up to backup Reimer tomorrow.

Posted by: Weder (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2011 01:09PM

Rita
Douglas Murray will have a busy night keeping Ovechkin and the Caps in check.

ESPN

Hit of the Night.

Date: February 19, 2011 03:14PM

Nice article on Scrivens's call up. Hopefully he stays up long enough to play in a game.

[www.thestar.com]

Date: February 19, 2011 06:50PM

For those longing for the days of Joey Nieuwendyk, turn into the NHL Network and then CBC.com. Tonight, as part of the Heritage Classic, is the alumni game between the Calgary Flames and the Montreal Canadiens. The first period is being shown live now as part of CBC's HNIC. Periods 2 and 3 will be stream on the internet.

Date: February 19, 2011 08:18PM

Moulson just got #22

Date: February 19, 2011 08:38PM

jeff '84
Moulson just got #22

and an interview coming up on MSG plus. Former NY Ranger Mike Backman has two daughters - one married to Matt, one married to LA Kings goalie Jonathan Quick - who Matt scored on tonite.

Edit -- make that two goals against brother in law -- #23.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2011 09:18PM by jeff '84.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 19, 2011 09:18PM

jeff '84
Moulson just got #22

And #23 on a very nice spin-around shot from the slot.

Date: February 19, 2011 09:59PM

Greening got a shift in the final minute of regulation. He must be doing something right.

Date: February 20, 2011 12:54PM

Nash got sent back down to Hamilton yesterday as Gill is returning from his injury and Mara will be joining the lineup, so he won't be playing in today's Heritage Classic.

[tsn.ca]

Posted by: nshapiro (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 20, 2011 11:13PM

Was there a brief period of time with 7 Cornell players on NHL rosters?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2011 11:17PM

nshapiro

For the year we're up to 8. Not sure about simultaneity.

Date: February 21, 2011 08:11AM

Trotsky
nshapiro

For the year we're up to 8. Not sure about simultaneity.

Bitz is still listed on the Florida roster, even if he's on IR. Officially, it should be 9.

Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login