Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Colgate QF Game 3 - Guess it's my turn

Posted by Dafatone 
Colgate QF Game 3 - Guess it's my turn
Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-215-228.myvzw.com)
Date: March 13, 2022 04:01PM

Someone had to do it. Let's Go Red.

Re: Colgate QF Game 3 - Guess it's my turn
Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2022 04:05PM

Given how readily officials will give out 5 minute majors, I hope our guys keep their heads today.

Date: March 13, 2022 04:06PM

I just hope we can minimize the reviews.

Date: March 13, 2022 04:38PM

clear territorial edge in the 1st, but we remain unable to cash in on the PP. Colgate playing rope-a-dope, clogging the shooting lanes and looking to strike on the counterattack or off a miscue in our end. Stating the obvious, getting the 1st goal may be all the marbles.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2022 04:38PM by scoop85.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 13, 2022 04:43PM

It’s almost frustrating when Colgate gets called for a tickey-tacky penalty because you know there’s going to be a makeup call alter against Cornell, and this becoming a special teams battle is by far the most likely way Cornell loses this game. Cornell is vastly outplaying Colgate 5x5. It’s not even close.

Date: March 13, 2022 04:45PM

scoop85
clear territorial edge in the 1st, but we remain unable to cash in on the PP. Colgate playing rope-a-dope, clogging the shooting lanes and looking to strike on the counterattack or off a miscue in our end. Stating the obvious, getting the 1st goal may be all the marbles.

All year, we've struggled with teams that clog the net.

Date: March 13, 2022 05:03PM

BearLover
It’s almost frustrating when Colgate gets called for a tickey-tacky penalty because you know there’s going to be a makeup call alter against Cornell, and this becoming a special teams battle is by far the most likely way Cornell loses this game. Cornell is vastly outplaying Colgate 5x5. It’s not even close.

But at some point you need to score.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2022 05:05PM

Dumb penalty in the offensive zone.

Date: March 13, 2022 05:13PM

We survived the penalty, but getting killed on faceoffs this period and we paid for it.

Date: March 13, 2022 05:27PM

Crazy we could lose 2/3 games to a team with no ability to maintain possession of the puck. Colgate looks like a high school team other than their PP and goalie.

Date: March 13, 2022 05:27PM

BearLover
Crazy we could lose 2/3 games to a team with no ability to maintain possession of the puck. Colgate looks like a high school team other than their PP and goalie.

All year, we have had trouble with teams that establish a netfront presence on defense.

Date: March 13, 2022 05:32PM

Dafatone
BearLover

All year, we have had trouble with teams that establish a netfront presence on defense.
Good point—what’s the solution? Boxing guys out in front of the goalie?

Date: March 13, 2022 05:35PM

BearLover
Dafatone
BearLover

I don't actually know hockey, I just watch a lot of it and pretend. But I would think so, yeah. We're big, but we don't always play big.

And that's easier said than done, of course. Other team doesn't want to be boxed out.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 13, 2022 05:35PM

BearLover
Dafatone
BearLover

Billy Smith had a strategy...

Date: March 13, 2022 05:37PM

Dafatone
BearLover
Dafatone
BearLover

I don't actually know hockey, I just watch a lot of it and pretend. But I would think so, yeah. We're big, but we don't always play big.

And that's easier said than done, of course. Other team doesn't want to be boxed out.
Maybe that is why the coaching staff recruited a 6’3 214 lb power forward this late in the season.

Posted by: Ken711 (---.clppva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 13, 2022 05:52PM

A hot goalie can carry a team in a short series, Colgate's goalie certainly has shown that so far.

Date: March 13, 2022 05:53PM

Ken711
A hot goalie can carry a team in a short series, Colgate's goalie certainly has shown that so far.

Along with some puck luck

Date: March 13, 2022 05:53PM

Cornell brought their JV team and their varsity goalie to this series.

Date: March 13, 2022 06:00PM

Hard to believe we scored 11 goals in a game this year. Hot goalie or not, just a big disappointment

BearLover
Cornell brought their JV team and their varsity goalie to this series.

We have like a billion shots to their 20 or so. Hot goalies happen.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)

scoop85
Ken711

Along with some puck luck
Going 2-for-22 on the PP against Colgate this season hasn't helped either.

Posted by: blackwidow (---.sub-174-208-225.myvzw.com)
Date: March 13, 2022 06:04PM

Not over!!!

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.cdn77.com)
Date: March 13, 2022 06:12PM

Good season, disappointing to end this way

Date: March 13, 2022 06:16PM

I thought this year would be high highs and low lows. It was. Every team we played (except the Ivies I guess) had a TON more experience playing with each other than we did. We've got a lot of talent and I'm excited for next year.

Date: March 13, 2022 06:17PM

Good season given what we were up against—including an “athletic” league that doesn’t support its athletes.

Fitting that teams whose seasons were canceled last season went winless in the ECAC tournament against teams who played last season.

Date: March 13, 2022 06:20PM

Welp I think I know who Most Respected Opponent is this season. :`-(

Date: March 13, 2022 06:27PM

BearLover
Good season given what we were up against—including an “athletic” league that doesn’t support its athletes.

Fitting that teams whose seasons were canceled last season went winless in the ECAC tournament against teams who played last season.

Harvard won

Date: March 13, 2022 06:29PM

Didn’t RPI cancel its season last year?

Posted by: ice (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 13, 2022 06:30PM

Huge effort by the Big Red. Couldn't really ask for more.

Benson played a great game.

Thank you seniors. Thank you also to the 5-ers for your perseverance through the coronavirus trouble. Best of luck for your futures.

Date: March 13, 2022 06:35PM

ice
Huge effort by the Big Red. Couldn't really ask for more.

Benson played a great game.

Thank you seniors. Thank you also to the 5-ers for your perseverance through the coronavirus trouble. Best of luck for your futures.

This is The Way.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 13, 2022 06:37PM

BearLover
Didn’t RPI cancel its season last year?

Sure did. Also Union.

Posted by: toddlose (76.117.252.---)
Date: March 13, 2022 07:20PM

Bet Q is happy they aren’t seeing us next week.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: March 13, 2022 07:23PM

If they had real metrics for this game you would think the quality chances were about 30-5. they scored off a clear faceoff violation play and a blocked shot breakaway.. did they have more then 3-5 real scoring chances all game.. we had the puck inside the dots 30-40 time and got nothing to show for it but pucks hitting an invisible wall.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 13, 2022 07:34PM

i don't even think we get invited to the NIT

Posted by: RatushnyFan (165.225.220.---)
Date: March 14, 2022 10:37PM

How about 4th liner Ross Mitton stealing the show? If it makes anyone feel better, he's a super nice kid and a really hard worker. True of many 4th liners I'm sure. My oldest son played U16 with him.

Date: March 14, 2022 11:52PM

RatushnyFan
If it makes anyone feel better, he's a super nice kid and a really hard worker.

It doesn't.

Posted by: blackwidow (---.sub-174-209-1.myvzw.com)
Date: March 14, 2022 11:53PM

RatushnyFan
How about 4th liner Ross Mitton stealing the show? If it makes anyone feel better, he's a super nice kid and a really hard worker. True of many 4th liners I'm sure. My oldest son played U16 with him.

Does your oldest son play D1 hockey, if you dont mind me asking?

Date: March 15, 2022 09:28AM

too bad the review of the goal didnt go our way on the first one.. really came off at a strange angle as well.

hard to remember a shot coming from that angle hitting a cross bar and coming off 90% to the bar out the front. of course the one angle that actually could have showed the replay from above they were zoomed in way too close to actually see it..

it had to hit under the cross bad to come down in the paint a couple feet out and it made no sound at all like pipe.

it doesnt help we have really slow cameras

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2022 10:13AM

upprdeck
too bad the review of the goal didnt go our way on the first one.. really came off at a strange angle as well.

hard to remember a shot coming from that angle hitting a cross bar and coming off 90% to the bar out the front. of course the one angle that actually could have showed the replay from above they were zoomed in way too close to actually see it..

it had to hit under the cross bad to come down in the paint a couple feet out and it made no sound at all like pipe.

I sit the top row of Sec N. From that position, I could see the upper left corner of the net very clearly. That's where the puck hit the net. I saw it. It was a goal, plain & simple.

Then, there's the non-call of Kyle Betts getting speared, while down on the ice. Disgraceful non-call; especially with a review!!

Date: March 15, 2022 10:23AM

it came off so soft we all felt it hit up under the net as well from our seats

Date: March 15, 2022 10:40AM

Are you guys talking about Locke’s shot early in the third period of game 3 that hit the crossbar? They had an overview view on the ESPN Plus feed and it did look like it hit off the crossbar. And then it may have hit the goalie on the way out, which could explain why the puck fell more slowly down to the ice. It wasn’t the best quality replay, obviously, but it didn’t look like a goal to me.

Date: March 15, 2022 10:57AM

it didnt hit the goalie and in watching the espn+ feed there is no replay that really shows much of anything. the over head shot was way late to show the viw you needed. ESPN showed 3 angles.. the front view the camera is too slow to actually see the puck until it pops out. The over head you dont actually see anything except the puck after its already hit what it hit and the rear view again you can barely see a puck if you go frame by frame and its moving much faster than the actual camera can capture.

Date: March 15, 2022 11:04AM

upprdeck
it didnt hit the goalie and in watching the espn+ feed there is no replay that really shows much of anything. the over head shot was way late to show the viw you needed. ESPN showed 3 angles.. the front view the camera is too slow to actually see the puck until it pops out. The over head you dont actually see anything except the puck after its already hit what it hit and the rear view again you can barely see a puck if you go frame by frame and its moving much faster than the actual camera can capture.
OK; maybe you are right. I don’t recall the coaches or players really complaining about it at the time, though. Or any celebration after it supposedly went in.

Date: March 15, 2022 11:44AM

thats the only sign that maybe all it did was hit the bar..

Posted by: Trotsky (---.net.cia.gov)
Date: March 15, 2022 11:49AM

upprdeck
thats the only sign that maybe all it did was hit the bar..
After seeing the replay on ESPN+ I was convinced it hit the crossbar and dropped. And as was mentioned the players didn't go ballistic which one would expect. Those kids see stuff these old eyes miss.

Date: March 15, 2022 12:00PM

redice
upprdeck

I sit the top row of Sec N. From that position, I could see the upper left corner of the net very clearly. That's where the puck hit the net. I saw it. It was a goal, plain & simple.

Then, there's the non-call of Kyle Betts getting speared, while down on the ice. Disgraceful non-call; especially with a review!!

The non-call was terrible. But I believe refs can only call nothing or a major on review if there's nothing on the ice. Could argue it was worthy of a major, though.

Date: March 15, 2022 12:04PM

This is what I will remember about this series:

Of the series' 180 minutes on the weekend, the Big Red only held a lead for 1 minute, 28 seconds despite holding a cumulative advantage in shots on goal of 107-56.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.tmodns.net)
Date: March 15, 2022 12:37PM

Colgate played a dangerous game by giving up so many shots (admittedly not always the best quality) and the risk paid off. A worse goaltending performance and they definitely would've been eliminated. I don't see them being as fortunate against Q or the winner of Harvard/Clarkson for that matter.

Date: March 15, 2022 01:11PM

blackwidow
RatushnyFan

Does your oldest son play D1 hockey, if you dont mind me asking?
D1 club. He had D3 interest but would have had to grind it out in juniors to get to D1. Didn't want play juniors and be a 21 year old freshman with no guarantees. Smart kid, I don't think he regrets his choice. Went to a big school in Colorado which was he preference. His prep school coach actually called Schafer but it didn't go anywhere. He also played with Tim Rego, another great kid!

Date: March 15, 2022 01:12PM

Trotsky
RatushnyFan

It doesn't.
It makes me feel better and I'm someone.

Date: March 15, 2022 03:05PM

RatushnyFan
Trotsky
RatushnyFan

It doesn't.
Yes you are, and don't let anyone tell you different!

Posted by: RatushnyFan (165.225.39.---)
Date: March 16, 2022 01:19PM

Trotsky
RatushnyFan
Trotsky
RatushnyFan

It doesn't.
Yes you are, and don't let anyone tell you different!
I knew it!! :-P
!

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 17, 2022 06:37PM

Colgate goaltender Mitch Benson was named Red Raider male athlete of the week. Question, who shoots player photos, the Hamilton PD, and if so where are the ones from the two sides?

Date: March 18, 2022 08:11AM

LOL. Suboptimal.

Date: March 18, 2022 01:47PM

He really should be happier taking 2 out of 3 from us.........

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login