Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Recruits

Posted by Swampy 
Recruits
Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 29, 2010 09:49PM

Amid the misery of a so-far-less-than-stellar season (for men's hockey, and dare I say it, bball, that is), some cheer might come from ghosts of Xmas future.

Leon has already mentioned Joel Lowry's very excellent season, currently currently 4th in the BCHL in total points, 3rd in assists and 11th in goals, even though he has played only 28 games while the first, second, and third player in total points have played 29, 31, and 30 games respectively.

Madison Dias has been tapped for the CJHL Prospects Game, which "was created to showcase the top 40 NHL draft eligible players in the CJHL." Previous players in the Prospects Game include several first-round draft picks, including one Riley Nash.

Phillipe Hudon, at Choate, plays his first game on Dec. 1 and is taking advantage of the late start to accelerate his coursework (don't you just love those preppy academic standards?) to push up his enrollment at Cornell to Fall 2011. Hudon has been described as possibly "the top-rated scholastic player" in next year's draft.

Cole Bardreau currently ranks sixth in overall scoring on the U-18 USNDPT.

Looked at somewhat differently, according to Werner's grandson, Cornell has the #1 and #24 recruits in the Northeast, nobody from Minnesota & the Midwest, nobody from the U-17 USNDPT, the #9 and #32 players in the USHL, nobody from the NAHL (not many commitments to strong schools), nobody in Tier I Elite, #25 in Ontario & Eastern Canada (several ECAC schools recruited players higher up the list, especially Clarkson, Toothpaste, and Halloween), nobody from SJHL & MJHL, nobody from AJHL, and #14, #16, and #18 from the BCHL. Of course, when you're dealing with a Heisenberg, there's always some uncertainty, but if we could find a suitable weighting scheme, I'd be surprised if as group this class does not rank in the top 10.

So hang in there, Tiny Tim. In the words of Dexter Fong (and I think Nick Danger), "Help is on the way!"banana

Re: Recruits
Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: December 01, 2010 08:05AM

Swampy
Phillipe Hudon, at Choate, plays his first game on Dec. 1 and is taking advantage of the late start to accelerate his coursework (don't you just love those preppy academic standards?) to push up his enrollment at Cornell to Fall 2011. Hudon has been described as possibly "the top-rated scholastic player" in next year's draft.

Quoted from that link:

Central Scouting's Gary Eggleston likes what he sees in Hudon.

"He is a classic power forward who takes a straight line to the net or to the puck in the corners," Eggleston said. "He has good size and strength, hits hard, plays the body in all zones and is an aggressive forechecker. He has some grit to his game and plays with an edge. He has very good hands and possesses a hard and heavy shot with a quick release."

Sounds more than a little dream crushing and perhaps a tad soul devouring.

Posted by: CAS (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2010 10:52AM

I can't wait to see all this talent wearing a Cornell sweater next year [and 2012]!

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: December 01, 2010 12:02PM

Joakim Ryan is having a great first USHL season, he has size and speed and is playing well at a young age. Curious if he'll end up seasoning more or head straight to Ithaca next year. Joakim Ryan - Dubuque

He's the top scoring defenseman for Dubuque, currently #1 in the western conference standings. 9 of his 12 points are on the PP.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: December 01, 2010 01:41PM

Trotsky
Swampy

Quoted from that link:

Central Scouting's Gary Eggleston likes what he sees in Hudon.

"He is a classic power forward who takes a straight line to the net or to the puck in the corners," Eggleston said. "He has good size and strength, hits hard, plays the body in all zones and is an aggressive forechecker. He has some grit to his game and plays with an edge. He has very good hands and possesses a hard and heavy shot with a quick release."

Sounds more than a little dream crushing and perhaps a tad soul devouring.
Sounds like Greening. (That's a good thing.)

Posted by: jkahn (---.73.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: December 01, 2010 03:19PM

Swampy
Leon has already mentioned Joel Lowry's very excellent season, currently currently 4th in the BCHL in total points, 3rd in assists and 11th in goals, even though he has played only 28 games while the first, second, and third player in total points have played 29, 31, and 30 games respectively.
I was having trouble figuring out who Leon was, since I was the one who recently mentioned Lowry's excellent season. Then I realized that it was likely meant to be a reference to Greg (aka Trotsky), who originated the "Joel Lowry" thread in September.

Date: December 03, 2010 12:55AM

jkahn
Swampy
I was having trouble figuring out who Leon was, since I was the one who recently mentioned Lowry's excellent season. Then I realized that it was likely meant to be a reference to Greg (aka Trotsky), who originated the "Joel Lowry" thread in September.

Hey Jeff, nice going. Have to keep everyone on their toes. Otherwise, one never knows when someone with a hatchet will sneak up. I thought the bit about Werner's grandson would sort of set the tone of the post and give things away. This is an Ivy League board, after all.drunk

Date: December 03, 2010 10:10AM

Swampy
Otherwise, one never knows when someone with a hatchet will sneak up.
Ice pick. It was an ice pick.

Date: December 04, 2010 10:18AM

Trotsky
Swampy
Otherwise, one never knows when someone with a hatchet will sneak up.
Ice pick. It was an ice pick.

See, I was right about keeping everyone on their toeslaugh

Posted by: profudge (---.bluebird.ibm.com)
Date: December 06, 2010 02:24PM

Nice profile of Cole can be found: USA Hockey Profile - Cole Bardreau

Becky Olsen - Special to USAHockey.com
This season, Bardreau ranks among the U-18 scoring leaders with seven points (3 goals, 4 assists) in 12 games. He came back ready to play after working hard over the summer

. . .

'I actually visited Cornell three times and I knew that it was the place that I wanted to be. The atmosphere at the games is incredible. I also know that I cannot play hockey forever and Cornell has an excellent education reputation.'

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 10, 2011 05:48AM

An interview

with Cornell recruit John Knisley's father starts at about 3:18. BTW, the son of the other father being interviewed, who also plays for Vernon, made a wiser choice of college. :-D

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2011 02:18PM

BRP (he lives!) reports that we've snagged a USHL defenseman:

Date: February 12, 2011 02:31PM

A nice article on new recruit Jacob MacDonald. Note the comment that he's one of the most offensively gifted D-men in the USHL

Posted by: CAS (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 13, 2011 08:38AM

Looks like another outstanding recruit for Cornell. Can't wait to watch all these talented players on the Lynah ice.

Date: February 13, 2011 09:30PM

USA Hockey
Already one of the most offensively skilled defensemen in the league, MacDonald is improving in other areas.

“His game’s coming,” O’Handley said. “He just needs a little work on things like positioning and some techniques.”

Sounds like he made exactly the right choice of a college program.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 14, 2011 07:53AM

Recruiting threads are great to read. It sounds as if we're a year, two at most, from another final four. It probably sounds that way on forum threads for fans of Dartmout, RPI, Harvard (fans?), etcetera. Hope springs eternal.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: February 14, 2011 08:04AM

billhoward
Dartmout

Do they play in the same league as Brow and Cornel? burnout

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: ajh258 (---.stat.cornell.edu)
Date: February 14, 2011 08:42AM

jtwcornell91
billhoward
Dartmout

Yes! They're also in the same conference as Havard and Princton.

Date: February 14, 2011 10:51AM

ajh258
jtwcornell91
billhoward
Dartmout

Wait, I thought it was Brom. (And don't forget Ylae.)

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 14, 2011 12:31PM

jtwcornell91
billhoward
Dartmout

Take it from Joe Pesce: The Big Green players graduated from playing yout hockey.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 15, 2011 08:28AM

Casey Jones is out on the trail, watching the Canada Games in Halifax, NS. Hopefully he'll find us another Colin Greening or Blake Gallagher out in eastern Canada.

[timestranscript.canadaeast.com]

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2011 08:54AM

pfibiger
Casey Jones is out on the trail, watching the Canada Games in Halifax, NS. Hopefully he'll find us another Colin Greening or Blake Gallagher out in eastern Canada.

[timestranscript.canadaeast.com]
I'd take a Mike Iggulden, too.

Date: February 15, 2011 11:33AM

....but you have a gem in Joakim Ryan already headed to Ithaca. Any word on whether he'll be 2011 or 2012? Second among USHL rookie defensemen in scoring (Alexx Privitera is headed to BU). USHL Defensemen Scoring

Most USHL players have a tough first year, seems like Joakim has hit the ground running.

Date: February 15, 2011 11:38AM

Josh '99
ajh258
jtwcornell91
billhoward
Dartmout

Wait, I thought it was Brom. (And don't forget Ylae.)
It's spelled Ylae*.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2011 11:40AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: scoop85 (173.84.100.---)
Date: February 15, 2011 12:53PM

RatushnyFan
....but you have a gem in Joakim Ryan already headed to Ithaca. Any word on whether he'll be 2011 or 2012? Second among USHL rookie defensemen in scoring (Alexx Privitera is headed to BU). USHL Defensemen Scoring

Most USHL players have a tough first year, seems like Joakim has hit the ground running.

And new recruit Jacob MacDonald is right behind him in scoring.

Posted by: Swampy (131.128.72.---)
Date: February 15, 2011 04:54PM

billhoward
Recruiting threads are great to read. It sounds as if we're a year, two at most, from another final four. It probably sounds that way on forum threads for fans of Dartmout, RPI, Harvard (fans?), etcetera. Hope springs eternal.

Bill,

This is true, but I think comparison with past years will show we're definitely improving our recruiting. Say someone took Heisenberg's rankings from classes entering 2006 to 2012. I bet within conference we've lowered the average ranking (lower is better, with 1 = best) by 30% at least. Also, we're getting more players who stand out as blue chips.

If I remember correctly, the year Riley Nash came here, he saved an otherwise lackluster recruiting year. This year, we've had 3 players commit and then decide to play major juniors, but we're still looking at 6-10 top-notch recruits.

Casey Jones has been doing a great job! I love that good 'n plenty.

Date: February 16, 2011 04:07PM

OATESIEOATESIEOATESIEOATESIEOATESIE!

Date: February 21, 2011 02:01PM

In case you haven't seen it yet, BRP reported that three of our recruits -- Ferlin, McCarron, and Ryan -- were named to the USHL all-star teams. Only two schools, UND and Miami, had four recruits named, and only two other schools, UNO and OSU, had three. Not too shabby. cheer

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2011 03:51PM

Swampy
In case you haven't seen it yet, BRP reported that three of our recruits -- Ferlin, McCarron, and Ryan -- were named to the USHL all-star teams. Only two schools, UND and Miami, had four recruits named, and only two other schools, UNO and OSU, had three. Not too shabby. cheer
And 2 of them are forwards.

Date: February 23, 2011 02:43PM

To Cornell according to Chris Heisenberg [www.pointstreak.com]

Date: February 24, 2011 08:24AM

ursusminor

A little more on Cimetta here. He appears to hail from Sarnia, ON.

+104? really?
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2011 08:26AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: pfibiger (97.101.186.---)
Date: February 24, 2011 09:51AM

Trotsky
ursusminor

+104? really?

When you win games 15-2, it does great things for the +/-. He's also scoring half a goal per game, as a defenseman. That says something about the quality of competition, perhaps? He played a couple of years with Detroit Honeybaked, the powerhouse midget team. Not clear if he's 16 yet, he's certainly one of the earliest commits we've ever had (maybe Ben Thomson *grumblegrumble* was as young?)

Date: February 24, 2011 10:35AM

pfibiger
Trotsky
ursusminor

+104? really?

When you win games 15-2, it does great things for the +/-. He's also scoring half a goal per game, as a defenseman. That says something about the quality of competition, perhaps? He played a couple of years with Detroit Honeybaked, the powerhouse midget team. Not clear if he's 16 yet, he's certainly one of the earliest commits we've ever had (maybe Ben Thomson *grumblegrumble* was as young?)
He's listed as a '94 in some places and a '95 in others, so apparently everybody's confused. Maybe he was raised by wolves. ;)

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2011 01:58PM

I withdraw my comments, at least the part that says "every year for every team at every school sounds hopeful the spring before." People I talked to in Ithaca are really excited about the incoming class and Schafer apparently made comments to that effect to small groups of supporters the week of the Harvard/Dartmouth games.

Date: February 24, 2011 04:05PM

billhoward
I withdraw my comments, at least the part that says "every year for every team at every school sounds hopeful the spring before." People I talked to in Ithaca are really excited about the incoming class and Schafer apparently made comments to that effect to small groups of supporters the week of the Harvard/Dartmouth games.
One thing about having such a large incoming class: Cornell already feels like a young team, and they are going to get even younger. Based on the rave previews of Hudon and Ryan the Big Red may still be an even more powerful team, particularly offensively, next year. It certainly bodes very well for the future.

Also, young isn't necessarily "awkward." Union's freshman class this season has been insane.

Date: February 24, 2011 04:22PM

I believe Cornell's improved financial aid is helping us attract top student athletes.

Date: February 24, 2011 05:21PM

CAS
I believe Cornell's improved financial aid is helping us attract top student athletes.
Hope so. Yale and Princeton led the way and they have improved dramatically. Small sample size of course -- we'll know in ten years whether those programs are going through random variation (past runs by Colgate, SLU, Dartmouth, even Brown) or are here to stay.

I heard again and again through the 90's that we were getting beaten to the puck on certain recruits solely over aid. Maybe we've licked that problem.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2011 05:23PM by Trotsky.

Date: February 24, 2011 06:25PM

Trotsky
CAS
Hope so. Yale and Princeton led the way and they have improved dramatically. Small sample size of course -- we'll know in ten years whether those programs are going through random variation (past runs by Colgate, SLU, Dartmouth, even Brown) or are here to stay.

I heard again and again through the 90's that we were getting beaten to the puck on certain recruits solely over aid. Maybe we've licked that problem.
Except that I don't think they have fully decided how they are going to pay for it. The Athletic Department has to come up with money and from what I've heard they may even be looking for endowment money to be given to fund them. It's actually like an athletic scholarship, charged to the AD budget.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2011 07:01PM

Jim Hyla
Trotsky
CAS

Except that I don't think they have fully decided how they are going to pay for it. The Athletic Department has to come up with money and from what I've heard they may even be looking for endowment money to be given to fund them. It's actually like an athletic scholarship, charged to the AD budget.
I was more thinking maybe Cornell has licked the problem of kids getting screwed because their parents aren't either rich enough or poor enough. HYP (not sure about H, but I assume so with their endowment) figured it out and filled the hole. Dunno if we can afford to do that. My understanding has always been that athletics can't do it -- it has to be aid offered on the same footing to a cellist, a poet, or god help us even an engineer.

Date: February 24, 2011 07:14PM

It is my understanding that the improved financial aid is for all Cornell students. One of the priorities of the current Cornell Campaign is to fund the new financial aid policy. This will improve our ability to compete for economists, biologists, and talented goal scorers. Please remember to sign your checks!

Date: February 24, 2011 07:17PM

Trotsky
Jim Hyla
Trotsky
CAS

I was more thinking maybe Cornell has licked the problem of kids getting screwed because their parents aren't either rich enough or poor enough. HYP (not sure about H, but I assume so with their endowment) figured it out and filled the hole. Dunno if we can afford to do that. My understanding has always been that athletics can't do it -- it has to be aid offered on the same footing to a cellist, a poet, or god help us even an engineer.
Well, I obviously don't know, but someone in Alumni Affairs said they get charged back to the department, and they were going to have to find money.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2011 08:44PM

Trotsky
Also, young isn't necessarily "awkward." Union's freshman class this season has been insane.

Not every freshman is born equal, however.

Union's class has 2 from 1989, 5 from 1990, and 1 from 1991.
Cornell's class has 1 from 1990, 3 from 1991, and 2 from 1992.

Cornell's oldest freshman is only 4 months older than Union's youngest. Next year's class could be even younger in relative terms.

Date: February 25, 2011 11:03AM

ithacat
Trotsky

Not every freshman is born equal, however.

Union's class has 2 from 1989, 5 from 1990, and 1 from 1991.
Cornell's class has 1 from 1990, 3 from 1991, and 2 from 1992.

Cornell's oldest freshman is only 4 months older than Union's youngest. Next year's class could be even younger in relative terms.

Excellent point. I thought some of our top recruits, like Hudon, are slated to start school in 2012. Maybe next fall's class won't be so large, and what we're really seeing is Mike adjusting recruiting to have recruits sign on earlier and then season for a year or two in the BCHL, USHL, etc. This certainly seems to be the strategy of places like BC (and Yale), if one looks at Heisenberg.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2011 10:57AM by Swampy.

Date: March 02, 2011 09:21AM

Cornell recruit Madison Dias was named the BCHL player of the week, after his 7 point performance in 2 playoff games.

Posted by: Cornell95 (---.natick.army.mil)
Date: March 02, 2011 10:13AM

I think we can all agree that there are still some gaping holes in the current recruiting class

Where are the brothers (twins preferably) !!?!!!??
Did someone not get the memo that the Devins are graduating?

=]

Date: March 02, 2011 10:53AM

Cornell95
I think we can all agree that there are still some gaping holes in the current recruiting class

=]
We have filled holes, though, with both a Mc and a Mac coming in. These are time-honoured Canadian hockey names (albeit in this case they are both from Michigan, but that's essentially Southern Ontario).
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2011 10:54AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 02, 2011 11:43AM

Trotsky
Cornell95

=]
We have filled holes, though, with both a Mc and a Mac coming in. These are time-honoured Canadian hockey names (albeit in this case they are both from Michigan, but that's essentially Southern Ontario).

Just as long as there are no Murphys! :-}

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: March 04, 2011 01:47AM

Cornell95

=]

I was quite surprised that Tyson and Tylor Spink (Cornwall Colts) chose Colgate.

Date: March 04, 2011 08:05PM

ursusminor
Cornell95

=]

I was quite surprised that Tyson and Tylor Spink (Cornwall Colts) chose Colgate.

RPI can't get them all. :-)

Date: March 12, 2011 09:18AM

Heisenberg lists a new recruit for 2013, Eric Sade, a defenseman from Washington, D.C. Last year he was selected by Des Moines in the 5th round of the USHL futures draft. My guess is that he'll spend a year or two there.

Eric's stats.

Date: March 12, 2011 09:38AM

scoop85
Heisenberg lists a new recruit for 2013, Eric Sade, a defenseman from Washington, D.C. Last year he was selected by Des Moines in the 5th round of the USHL futures draft. My guess is that he'll spend a year or two there.

Eric's stats.
And a picture. He's got hockey hair, anyway.

Posted by: cbuckser (---.dsl.scrm01.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 13, 2011 03:25AM

Trotsky
scoop85

Eric's stats.
Ever since read this about Eric Sade committing to Cornell, I can't get this song out of my head. Oh boy. He better be good. ;-)

Date: March 13, 2011 10:21AM

cbuckser
Trotsky
scoop85

Eric's stats.
Ever since read this about Eric Sade committing to Cornell, I can't get this song out of my head. Oh boy. He better be good. ;-)

BRP did report that he's a Smooth Operator, but then again we know that love is stronger than pride.

Date: March 13, 2011 09:37PM

I would note that very few top prospects stay in the Atlantic Youth Hockey League for their U18 seasons....but there are exceptions.

Date: March 13, 2011 10:31PM

RatushnyFan
I would note that very few top prospects stay in the Atlantic Youth Hockey League for their U18 seasons....but there are exceptions.

One of his teammates is heading to UNH & another is going to Quinnipiac. There's 3 schools hoping you're wrong. :)

Date: March 14, 2011 08:36AM

Yes, you see lots of these announcements from the AYHL, my point is more that a lot of them never make it to seeing D1 ice time. I hope I'm wrong in all 3 cases.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2011 01:00PM

He's from Maryland. That's Lacrosse Hair.

Posted by: cbuckser (---.dsl.scrm01.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 14, 2011 03:35PM

I wouldn't be concerned with which league a recruit plays in his age-16 season. Sade has been drafted in the USHL (by the same organization that selected Locke Jillson from midget hockey), was recruited by several D1 schools, and now has committed to Cornell. Kids have a lot of non-hockey reasons for choosing their leagues, such as the desire to live at home with family for more time, to stay in the same high school for an extra year, etc. Keep in mind that Sade excels in another sport (track). Sade will get his chance to play in a more challenging league before he arrives at Cornell. For now, he's getting great playoff experience.

Date: March 15, 2011 01:37PM

I'm much more impressed by the U16 national teams than most of the U18 teams. There are exceptions, but I think the best path is U-16 National to prep school to the USHL. The U16 National team for my program can beat the U18 team I'm pretty sure. Some of the '94 kids who aren't quite good enough to make the U16 National team are on the U18 team in our program. Washington Caps have strong teams at both the U-16 National and U-18 level, perhaps it's different in their case.

Posted by: Swampy (131.128.163.---)
Date: April 08, 2011 01:30PM

BRP reports that John McCarron has been named USHL offensive POTW.

If you follow the link, you'll also see this week's defensive player of the week, Jordan Schmaltz -- a NODAK recruit. This reflects one recruiting advantage I'd never thought of before.

With a name like that, wouldn't you want to go someplace where most people don't even know what schmaltz is? It's hard to think of a better place than Grand Forks.

Date: April 08, 2011 04:03PM

Swampy
BRP reports that John McCarron has been named USHL offensive POTW.

If you follow the link, you'll also see this week's defensive player of the week, Jordan Schmaltz -- a NODAK recruit. This reflects one recruiting advantage I'd never thought of before.

With a name like that, wouldn't you want to go someplace where most people don't even know what schmaltz is? It's hard to think of a better place than Grand Forks.

Wait a minute. There are a lot of Germans in ND (at least by percentage). Although there are very few Jews in ND who speak Yiddish, which I assume is your point, it is derived from the German "Schmalz" which has essentially the same meaning.

Posted by: CAS (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 08, 2011 04:42PM

Reading about ALL the outstanding players soon to be wearing a Cornell sweater, I can't wait for the hockey season to start.
190 days to the Red/White game.
Drop the puck!

Date: April 09, 2011 03:36PM

Man, those Junior league seasons seem to go on forever.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: May 10, 2011 05:29PM

Ben Scrivens is tweeting that goalie Vince Marozzi of the Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL) has committed to Cornell. I can't find anything about when.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: May 10, 2011 05:33PM

Beeeej
Ben Scrivens is tweeting that goalie Vince Marozzi of the Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL) has committed to Cornell. I can't find anything about when.
First Mazzotta and now Marozzi. I love it.cheer

Posted by: ugarte (66.9.23.---)
Date: May 10, 2011 05:35PM

Beeeej
And he's getting a scholarship!

Also, he basically led the AJHL in everything.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2011 05:46PM by ugarte.

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: May 10, 2011 06:00PM

ugarte
Also, he basically led the AJHL in everything.

OK, OK. I'll do it.

"Must be the system."

Date: May 10, 2011 10:06PM

Interesting, as he's already 21.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.24.---)
Date: May 11, 2011 09:46AM

scoop85

Wasn't Denis Ladouceur a 25-year-old senior? I can't recall if there have been any similar cases in recent years.

Date: May 11, 2011 10:04AM

Jordan 04
scoop85

Wasn't Denis Ladouceur a 25-year-old senior? I can't recall if there have been any similar cases in recent years.
Dick Bertrand was 28 when he graduated and was named head coach.

Posted by: pfibiger (97.101.186.---)
Date: May 11, 2011 10:09AM

Jordan 04
scoop85

Doug Krantz was 21 when he stepped on campus.

Marozzi seems like a perfect late replacement for Garman. Older and hopefully matured, lots of junior seasoning and playoff experience. He wants to be a Civil Engineer, which is pretty unusual for a hockey player.

Date: May 11, 2011 11:12AM

Jordan 04
scoop85

Wasn't Denis Ladouceur a 25-year-old senior?
Yes (and good spelling too). He's almost a year older than me and three class years later.

Posted by: ugarte (66.9.23.---)
Date: May 11, 2011 12:43PM

Parris Duffus was 20 or 21, IIRC.

Date: May 12, 2011 09:32AM

Al DeFlorio
Jordan 04
scoop85

28? 29? And the NCAA stuck it to Bertrand and Cornell his senior season, which would be the 1970 unbeaten (Ken Dryden?) year. Because he was a foreigner and older, the NCAA didn't let him play in the NCAA playoffs, the idea being foreigners might have an unfair advantage spending all those years lifting weights. But that rule never applied to Americans.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: May 12, 2011 09:46AM

billhoward
Al DeFlorio
Jordan 04
scoop85

28? 29? And the NCAA stuck it to Bertrand and Cornell his senior season, which would be the 1970 unbeaten (Ken Dryden?) year. Because he was a foreigner and older, the NCAA didn't let him play in the NCAA playoffs, the idea being foreigners might have an unfair advantage spending all those years lifting weights. But that rule never applied to Americans.

Because who would want to acknowledge that they're an internationally recognized university with global appeal attracting students from outside America's USA borders, amirite? They kept them dang ferrners outside the walls of fair Cambridge Allston, after all.

Date: May 14, 2011 09:29AM

The Spruce Grove Saints have put out a release confirming that Vincenzo Marozzi will be coming to Ithaca this fall. Seems like a great addition. Best of luck Vincenzo!

Date: May 14, 2011 10:06AM

CAS
The Spruce Grove Saints have put out a release confirming that Vincenzo Marozzi will be coming to Ithaca this fall. Seems like a great addition. Best of luck Vincenzo!

Here.

Marozzi Commits to Cornell

Vincenzo Marozzi will be suiting up as a member of the Big Red for the 2011/2012 season. In 133 regular season games played Vincenzo achieved a record of 95 wins, 22 losses, and 13 ties. Marozzi amassed 22 shutouts in the regular season and 4 in the AJHL playoffs throughout his career. Vincenzo was an integral part of the Saints success in recent years capturing 2 Enerflex Cup Championships. He also either holds or was in reach of numerous goaltending records in the AJHL:
• 3rd longest shutout streak (182min 8 sec)
• Tied for most consecutive shutouts (3)
• Tied for second most shutouts in a season (7) in back to back years
• 2nd most shutouts in a year inc. playoffs (9)
• 3rd lowest GAA 1.67%
• 3rd highest SV% .931%
"Playing in Spruce Grove for the past 3 years has been an incredible experience!" exclaims Marozzi. I will cherish the memories of being a member of the saints forever. "Moving forward, I am excited to continue my education and Hockey career at Cornell University. I would like to thank my family, my teammates, fans, coaches, and everyone in the Saints organization for their support."

"Vinnie had an outstanding career and we were very happy to have him as a Saint." explains Head Coach and General Manager Jason McKee. He was a great leader on and off the ice and his competitive nature made him very popular with his teammates. He is very deserving of this opportunity to continue his hockey career while attending a post secondary institution with such a storied reputation."

Here's his stats.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2011 10:12AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: May 16, 2011 06:38PM

Here is his cheer:

[point to other team and shout]
Less Rozzi!
[point to Cornell and shout]
More (mah?) Rozzi!

or not.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.64.uzpak.uz)
Date: May 16, 2011 10:04PM

Roy 82
Here is his cheer:

Less Rozzi!
More (mah?) Rozzi!

or not.

Not.

How 'bout:

Marozzi!

Luca Brasi!

Especially appropriate on "fish and fowl" night.

Date: June 02, 2011 10:14PM

Remember when this kid had verbally committed to Cornell? Now he's touted as a top-15 pick in the upcoming NHL draft, maybe even sneaking into the top 10.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 02, 2011 11:15PM

scoop85
Remember when this kid had verbally committed to Cornell? Now he's touted as a top-15 pick in the upcoming NHL draft, maybe even sneaking into the top 10.

TSR: It was also a big year for you last year as you went on to verbally commit to Cornell to play collegiate hockey in the NCAA. What was the catalyst behind your decision and what did you feel was advantageous about taking that route south of the border?

MS: It was just the education part of an ivy league school, and also a good hockey program which I thought were advantageous.

TSR: Obviously you elected to take the OHL route after being dealt from Saginaw to Barrie. Did you ever consider playing for the Spirit or what was it about the opportunity in Barrie that led you down the OHL path?

MS: I always had it in my mind that I was going the NCAA route, and then when Barrie acquired me and after meeting the coaches it started to get me to think what was the best opportunity for my hockey career. Also knowing that Barrie was rebuilding, I though that by working hard I could have a great chance in Barrie.

Posted by: jts15 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 08, 2011 01:00PM

Hudon is at the Red Wings prospect camp. They haven't done much yet but Georg Malik had this to say.

"Philippe Hudon: Frickin’ big and has four years of college eligibility to go."

[www.kuklaskorner.com]

He doesn't say anything else about him but I'm hoping that as the week goes on we'll get more news as to how he's getting along out there.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: July 11, 2011 07:44AM

Via ECAC site, article on Ferlin at prospects development camp.

Date: July 11, 2011 08:43AM

From Georg malik at Wings prospect camp. There is an interview near the bottom of this link as well.

[www.kuklaskorner.com]

Phillipe Hudon, forward: Again, not as strong as his fantastically muscled physique would indicate, very inconsistent, but his shot is superb, he skates hard and well and he loves to go to the front of the net and compete.

[www.kuklaskorner.com]

Phillipe Hudon, forward: Gigantic and raw like steak that’s been on the grill for thirty seconds. He’s listed at six feet and 190 pounds but he is just all frickin’ v-shaped torso and big hips and all that stuff that makes the ladies swoon in terms of his physical build with lots of room to grow, he’s got evident flashes of a power forward’s strength, tenacity, willingness to muck and grind along the boards, go to the net and play a hard game while scoring goals or just check the hell out of his opponents, but as Wings pro scout Mark Leach told RedWingsCentral’s Matthew Wuest, Hudon played high-school hockey last season and is going to Cornell, and he’s gonna need all four years to build a toolbox for the screwdrivers, hammers and chisels that he’s carrying around. That and he kicks his damn leg out when he shoots so everybody knows when he’s winding up.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2011 08:55AM by jts15.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.186.101.97.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: July 11, 2011 03:37PM

A Bruins draft blog on Ferlin:

[bruins2011draftwatch.blogspot.com]

Brian Ferlin: He showed why he was the USHL's third-leading scorer this week. He doesn't have textbook technique in his skating, but he has some real speed. He blew past Dougie Hamilton on one play and went in alone on Gothberg, getting robbed by the Minnesotan's glove hand on what would have been a goal to bring the fans out of their seats. He's got a quick snap shot and you can see some real instincts for the offensive side of things. Ferlin is just one of a growing crop of big league prospects coming out of Florida- you would have pegged him for a Michigander or Minnesotan the way he performed this week and in that scrimmage. Ferlin is looking like a solid value for the fourth round, but we'll withhold any further judgment until we see him at Cornell this winter.

Date: July 13, 2011 08:18AM

Phillipe Hudon: Right now, the best description I can give for Hudon is that he’s not as big in person as the big slab of beef he looks like and plays like on the ice. A very raw and very inconsistent power forward who isn’t sure whether he’s a crusher or a rusher or maybe both, but has time to figure it out. Fast, strong, always shoots from his “wrong” foot and is a little too used to roughing up high school kids. If he can display equal grit and grime over the next four years at Cornell, then we’re talking big and mean and happy about it.

[www.kuklaskorner.com]

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: July 13, 2011 05:02PM

jts15
Phillipe Hudon: Right now, the best description I can give for Hudon is that he’s not as big in person as the big slab of beef he looks like and plays like on the ice. A very raw and very inconsistent power forward who isn’t sure whether he’s a crusher or a rusher or maybe both, but has time to figure it out. Fast, strong, always shoots from his “wrong” foot and is a little too used to roughing up high school kids. If he can display equal grit and grime over the next four years at Cornell, then we’re talking big and mean and happy about it.

[www.kuklaskorner.com]
Perfect kid for us. Talent that needs time. So if he develops, he might stay 4 years.

Posted by: cbuckser (76.197.4.---)
Date: July 14, 2011 04:04PM

Brian Ferlin will join Andy Iles at the USA Hockey WJC Evaluation Camp in Lake Placid next month.

Re: Recruits - midsummer recruiting posts scare me
Date: July 16, 2011 09:04AM

The glass is half empty? Every time I come back to eLynah and see multiple posts under Recruiting, it scares me: Is it more musing on the recruits who are coming, or another recruit who's decide to go elsewhere?

Same fear I have every time I get one of the Cornell Daily Sun's infrequent summer news updates. Another death in the gorge, the president has quit, or loss of state funding. Seldom is it good news.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (192.234.99.---)
Date: July 21, 2011 10:13AM

Does anybody know where Joakim Ryan is playing next year? He wasn't announced as part of the incoming Cornell class and he's no longer on Dubuque's roster. I thought he had a good first USHL and there was talk that he might be drafted, although he ultimately was not selected.

Date: July 21, 2011 10:51AM

Joakim is very much part of the Cornell class of 2015 and listed in the release.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (192.234.99.---)
Date: July 21, 2011 11:10AM

My mistake, I was looking at the 2011-12 roster which doesn't include freshman yet. Thanks.

Date: July 21, 2011 01:12PM

I hope Joakim's Cornell career is as successful as that of another defenseman who's played for Sweden - Douglas Murray.

Date: October 14, 2011 12:13PM

Cornell recruit John Knisley with the Polo shirt practicing for his Cornell career by taking a dive [www.youtube.com]. :-D

(If you don't recognize him, there are credits at the end. The Big Diesel is RPI recruit Mike Zalewski which is the reason that another RPI fan posted this on USCHO.)

Date: November 01, 2011 11:48PM

Big Red Puckhead reports Teemu Tiitinen as a commitment for next fall. He appears to be a defensive forward. Tiitinen is from... any guesses? That's right, Georgia. Our demographics is getting really weird.

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: November 02, 2011 02:15AM

Is he from Georgia in the same sense that Murray was from Long Island? He was born in Finland.

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.atc-nycorp.com)
Date: November 02, 2011 09:07AM

And here I was thinking it was the Republic of Georgia -- but it's Suwanee, Georgia, so I guess not.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: November 02, 2011 09:42AM

Give My Regards
And here I was thinking it was the Republic of Georgia -- but it's Suwanee, Georgia, so I guess not.

I sense much future excitement amongst the tuba section.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login