Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell 2021-22 season prediction

Posted by Trotsky 
Cornell 2021-22 season prediction
Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 09, 2021 11:52AM

Poll
Which statement best characterizes Cornell's 2021-22 season?
This poll has expired. Voting is no longer possible.
174 votes were received.
ECAC 1 or 2; likely Frozen Four 13

7%
ECAC top 3; likely NCAA 60

34%
ECAC top 3; unlikely NCAA 37

21%
ECAC 4-6 37

21%
ECAC 7-9 5

3%
Guh 22

13%

Because this is going to be the blackest box we will ever have to deal with.

Re: Cornell 2021-22 season prediction
Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: July 06, 2021 10:02AM

I am very surprised how hopeful people are given the roster will have so many unknowns.

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 06, 2021 01:41PM

Trotsky
I am very surprised how hopeful people are given the roster will have so many unknowns.

Is it hope or just an assessment of the relative weakness of the rest of the ECAC? Setting aside the bold dreamers with FF expectations, most people seem to think a finish in the top half of the ECAC with some possibility of an NCAA appearance is reasonable. It's kind of hard to argue with that based on Cornell's results over the last (*gasp*) 25 years.

Date: July 06, 2021 02:11PM

Tom Lento
Trotsky

Is it hope or just an assessment of the relative weakness of the rest of the ECAC? Setting aside the bold dreamers with FF expectations, most people seem to think a finish in the top half of the ECAC with some possibility of an NCAA appearance is reasonable. It's kind of hard to argue with that based on Cornell's results over the last (*gasp*) 25 years.
I think it's the tendency to assume past performance will repeat. None of us really know anything about the incoming players. We know that in the ECAC and in our program specifically incoming classes vaguely replicate the relative strengths of the immediate past. Since our coaching staff hasn't changed and the program didn't undergo any serious unique issue, we assume the train will keep rolling.

The alternate hypothesis is the incoming 50-70% of the rosters will be a crapshoot and our most likely finish is around .500 or perhaps a little lower factoring in the year head start 4 teams have.
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2021 02:16PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: margolism (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 06, 2021 05:00PM

Cornell is pretty much in the same boat as 8 of the other 12 teams, so that somewhat levels the playing field. Plus I believe both Quinnipiac and Clarkson had some would-be seniors leave early for the pros. I can't say we will be a strong team within the context of all of Division 1, but I think we will be descent within the ECAC itself.

Posted by: osorojo (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: July 07, 2021 08:15AM

The only reasonably predictable variable is coaching.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: July 07, 2021 09:23AM

we could be pretty solid, or it may take a couple yrs to get back to being solid.. no one really knows we lost the core of a good deep team and time will tell how quickly it comes back. Lots of teams had the same issues. It could be 8 teams all compete and its a pretty close league.

Date: July 07, 2021 09:52AM

upprdeck
It could be 8 teams all compete and its a pretty close league.

That's my (just as valid as anyone else's) guess. I voted 4-6 in the poll. It wouldn't surprise me if we finished 7 or 8. If we finish in the top 3 Schafer gets to be a god alongside Ned.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2021 09:53AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: July 07, 2021 11:40AM

Trotsky
upprdeck

That's my (just as valid as anyone else's) guess. I voted 4-6 in the poll. It wouldn't surprise me if we finished 7 or 8. If we finish in the top 3 Schafer gets to be a god alongside Ned.

I didn't vote as I can't even begin to guess until seeing the roster. The goalie position scares the hell out of me right now.

Date: July 07, 2021 01:04PM

ithacat
Trotsky
upprdeck

I didn't vote as I can't even begin to guess until seeing the roster. The goalie position scares the hell out of me right now.
Will seeing the roster even matter? I mean, it's going to be something on the order of this. All it tells us is "yes, there are people there." We won't really know anything until around Christmas.

Posted by: French Rage (165.225.243.---)
Date: July 07, 2021 01:20PM

Trotsky
All it tells us is "yes, there are people there."

Boy you'll feel dumb when Schafer reveals an all-robot team.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: July 07, 2021 01:21PM

French Rage
Trotsky

"...and starting in goal for the Big Red, seventeen ferrets in a trench coat!" (wild applause)

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.44.98.30.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: July 07, 2021 01:54PM

Beeeej
French Rage
Trotsky

"...and starting in goal for the Big Red, seventeen ferrets in a trench coat!" (wild applause)

If they can stretch out the trench coat to 4 x 6 we've got a chance.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 08, 2021 06:35AM

Trotsky
ithacat
Trotsky
upprdeck

Will seeing the roster even matter? I mean, it's going to be something on the order of this. All it tells us is "yes, there are people there." We won't really know anything until around Christmas.

I certainly don't know how accurate the Cornell roster on CHN is, but if it is anything like the RPI roster there, it is inaccurate. Compare this to this. Most of the differences are recruits who won't be arriving until at least 2022, six of them I think. There is also a player missing who is sticking around an extra year and one who left for another team listed.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2021 01:54PM by ursusminor.

Date: July 08, 2021 10:02AM

French Rage
Trotsky

Dumber.

Date: July 08, 2021 10:03AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Beeeej
French Rage
Trotsky

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 08, 2021 01:23PM

ithacat
Trotsky
upprdeck

Yeah, we haven’t had this much goaltending uncertainty since—well, I can’t even remember. MacDonald’s never played, and Howe and Shane have had up-and-down careers in juniors. My rather wild guess is that Howe probably has the most upside, but I imagine it will be pretty wide open.

Date: July 08, 2021 02:08PM

scoop85
ithacat
Trotsky
upprdeck

Yeah, we haven’t had this much goaltending uncertainty since—well, I can’t even remember. MacDonald’s never played, and Howe and Shane have had up-and-down careers in juniors. My rather wild guess is that Howe probably has the most upside, but I imagine it will be pretty wide open.

Howe had a fine 20-21 after a shaky 19-20. Shane has been all over the place but never put up impressive numbers outside of Prep.

I assume that even if we suffer through a down year in goaltending we should be able to recruit the blue chippah who stayed away while Galajda was still here.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2021 02:09PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.44.98.30.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: July 08, 2021 02:32PM

Trotsky
Jeff Hopkins '82
Beeeej
French Rage
Trotsky

That's creepy on so many levels.

Date: July 08, 2021 02:47PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
That's creepy on so many levels.

It was actually quite charming IRL.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2021 02:48PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: July 08, 2021 03:11PM

Trotsky
scoop85
ithacat
Trotsky
upprdeck

Howe had a fine 20-21 after a shaky 19-20. Shane has been all over the place but never put up impressive numbers outside of Prep.

I assume that even if we suffer through a down year in goaltending we should be able to recruit the blue chippah who stayed away while Galajda was still here.

Howe also provides a chant upside, in the grand tradition of goalie/sieve, Underhill/overrated, Duffus/doofus, Elliott/idiot... I'm envisioning maybe "Howe/why?"

Then again, "MacDonald/Taco Bell" might also have potential.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 14, 2021 07:41PM

Trotsky
upprdeck

Say no, say NO!

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: July 17, 2021 07:26PM

I have not checked any ecac rosters yet. But I'm thinking that the teams with the most returning players will be significantly better teams thank the others

Date: July 19, 2021 10:26AM

abmarks
I have not checked any ecac rosters yet. But I'm thinking that the teams with the most returning players will be significantly better teams thank the others

I agree that last season's sociopaths should still enjoy some advantage. They've played together. They've played at a higher level.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 22, 2021 09:14AM

There are other teams where the quality improves because they were heavy on now-departed seniors. It's as if the Jets or Giants, take your pick, lost all of last year's QBs, might they not be in a better place this year?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login