Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Alumni in the Pros - October 2010

Posted by Beeeej 
Alumni in the Pros - October 2010
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: October 02, 2010 11:14PM

It's October, kids. Seriously.

Douglas Murray and the Sharks head for Europe, including Sweden:

[www.sacbee.com]

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Re: Alumni in the Pros - October 2010
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 03, 2010 03:20PM

Writer says the team - 40, perhaps 50 players, coaches, front office, media? - is traveling on a chartered 747. Maybe they can practice breakout plays en route.

Another story says it's also a 747 and mentions the NHL had concerns about an earlier charter company it approached. [blogs.mercurynews.com] A fan comment says it's a smaller 747 SP (only 300 passengers). Sharks fan actually posted a video of it taxiing and taking off ... lot of dust. Yep, it's a 747:

Posted by: amerks127 (---.hsd1.dc.comcast.net)
Date: October 04, 2010 10:16PM

After eight years, Greening makes another AHL appearance at Mile One

Eight years after standing on the Mile One Centre blueline as a wide-eyed youngster among a host of American Hockey League all-stars, Colin Greening was back in that very same building Sunday afternoon, this time as a pro...

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: October 05, 2010 08:07AM

billhoward
Writer says the team - 40, perhaps 50 players, coaches, front office, media? - is traveling on a chartered 747. Maybe they can practice breakout plays en route.

Another story says it's also a 747 and mentions the NHL had concerns about an earlier charter company it approached. [blogs.mercurynews.com] A fan comment says it's a smaller 747 SP (only 300 passengers). Sharks fan actually posted a video of it taxiing and taking off ... lot of dust. Yep, it's a 747:

I used to fly on 747SPs between Newark and Tokyo back in the early 90's. They're still a good sized plane. I think they're the ones with the circular staircase to the upper deck.

Posted by: cbuckser (---.dsl.scrm01.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 07, 2010 01:39AM

The Mercury has an article on Douglas Murray visiting his family and enjoying his return to Stockholm.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2010 01:40AM by cbuckser.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: October 09, 2010 12:30PM

David LeNeveu just got put on waivers by Columbus.

Posted by: kingpin248 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 09, 2010 09:38PM

Matt Moulson gets his first of the year; a PPG late in the third to tie up the game at 4, from right in front of the net.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 10, 2010 08:08AM

Via the ECAC site, an article on Doug Murray from NHL.com.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 11, 2010 12:47PM

Some nice praise for Moulson during pregame coverage for today's Rangers-Islanders game - called him a "hidden gem" found by the Islanders' scouts.

Date: October 11, 2010 01:08PM

Not just us, but the ECAC has a nice pdf on ECAC alums in the AHL.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 11, 2010 07:38PM

Josh '99
Some nice praise for Moulson during pregame coverage for today's Rangers-Islanders game - called him a "hidden gem" found by the Islanders' scouts.

Moulson put home his 2nd goal of the season, and added an assist, in today's game which had a most excellent finish!

Posted by: jeff '84 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 11, 2010 07:52PM

According to yesterday's Daily News, "DiPietro, Tavares, Moulson and rookie Nino Niederreiter received sustained ovations during player introductions" before season opener.

Posted by: munchkin (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 11, 2010 09:53PM

Moulson tweeted that he'll be donating $500 to the Islanders Children's Fund for every goal he scores. He's awesome in my book for more reasons than hockey for doing that.

Date: October 13, 2010 01:11AM

Jon Gleed is playing for the Belfast Giants this year. Today his hometown paper ran an article on him playing in Belfast.

(h/t to Bridgeport Sound Tigers beat reporter Michael Fornabaio for telling me about the article.)

Posted by: Rita (129.171.150.---)
Date: October 13, 2010 12:21PM

The NHL Network will be broadcasting some Sunday afternoon AHL games. For some reason, the Toronto Marlies are involved in most of the games. Of note is this Sunday's (10/17, 1 pm) match-up between the Binghamton Senators and the Toronto Marlies.

I did not see Ben Scriven's on the Marlies roster. Some further searching on the Marlies website says that Ben got assigned to Reading in the ECHL.

NHLN_AHL TV schedule

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: October 13, 2010 12:28PM

My guess is that they're trying to keep costs down by broadcasting mostly games in the Toronto area (Toronto or Hamilton). All the games involve Canadian teams, so they probably also figure that they'll get better viewership (from Canadians) for these teams than the average American AHL team.

Date: October 13, 2010 12:32PM

KeithK
My guess is that they're trying to keep costs down by broadcasting mostly games in the Toronto area (Toronto or Hamilton). All the games involve Canadian teams, so they probably also figure that they'll get better viewership (from Canadians) for these teams than the average American AHL team.

Especially when you consider that 1 pm Sunday is prime football time in the USA. I know I'll be dvding the hockey game.

Date: October 13, 2010 06:30PM

Rita
KeithK

Especially when you consider that 1 pm Sunday is prime football time in the USA. I know I'll be dvding the hockey game.
The NHL Network (US) is simulcasting the CBC broadcast of those 10 games.

Posted by: redice (---.sub-75-194-159.myvzw.com)
Date: October 13, 2010 08:32PM

Blake Gallagher has survived the cuts and is on the roster of the Elmira Jackals.

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: profudge (---.bluebird.ibm.com)
Date: October 18, 2010 09:25AM

Greening scores key goal in Binghamton Sens. win:
Binghamton Press and Sun
TORONTO -- In a hard-hitting and vicious affair Sunday afternoon, the Binghamton Senators trimmed the Toronto Marlies, 3-1, in an American Hockey League game at Ricoh Coliseum.

Colin Greening, who played for Cornell University last season, scored midway in the second period to give the B-Sens a 2-0 lead. He took an Andre Benoit pass from below the goal line and chipped the puck over the left shoulder of Marlies goalie Jussi Rynnas at 9:13 of the period. Greening earned the game's second star.

Erik Condra sealed the outcome on an empty-net goal with 30 seconds left.

Binghamton native Jerry D'Amigo played his first contest against the hometown club. He logged regular shifts, playing both wing and center.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: October 18, 2010 09:54AM

amerks127

Eight years after standing on the Mile One Centre blueline as a wide-eyed youngster among a host of American Hockey League all-stars, Colin Greening was back in that very same building Sunday afternoon, this time as a pro...
"The early projections figure to have Greening playing a third-line, power forward/grinder/checker role with the ability to pop an odd goal or two."

I think he can do a Bitz better than that. cheer

Posted by: AnneDVM (---.ROC.onecommunications.net)
Date: October 18, 2010 10:31AM

Speaking of Bitz, I just checked the Panthers' site, and it looks like he is on injured reserve (elbow).

Posted by: jkahn (---.73.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: October 18, 2010 10:42AM

RatushnyFan
amerks127

"The early projections figure to have Greening playing a third-line, power forward/grinder/checker role with the ability to pop an odd goal or two."

I think he can do a Bitz better than that. cheer
I think Greening is going to be a very solid NHL player. I've got tickets to Ottawa at Chicago January 7 and specifically picked that game hoping that Greening will be up by then.

Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: October 18, 2010 12:48PM

AnneDVM
Speaking of Bitz, I just checked the Panthers' site, and it looks like he is on injured reserve (elbow).

How long must one stay on the NHL IR list before being activated? I periodically check the Panther's website, but havent' seen anything about when he is expected to return.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: October 18, 2010 01:21PM

jkahn
I think Greening is going to be a very solid NHL player. I've got tickets to Ottawa at Chicago January 7 and specifically picked that game hoping that Greening will be up by then.
I also get the feeling that Greening is not just good enough but also the right type of guy to play effectively in the NHL. How does Chicago's depth look?

Date: October 18, 2010 01:29PM

Trotsky
jkahn
I also get the feeling that Greening is not just good enough but also the right type of guy to play effectively in the NHL. How does Chicago's depth look?
Chicago has a lot less depth versus last year, they were forced to dump a lot of good players. They're going to have to give some young guys a chance. So far, they've been giving up a lot of shots on goal. Blackhawks depth chart

Date: October 18, 2010 02:18PM

RatushnyFan
Blackhawks depth chart
It would be ironic if he were to knock Skille off the roster.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2010 02:19PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: jkahn (---.73.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: October 18, 2010 02:37PM

Trotsky
jkahn
He's in the Ottawa organization.

Date: October 18, 2010 02:44PM

jkahn
Trotsky
jkahn
He's in the Ottawa organization.
Well then... same question?

Posted by: amerks127 (---.hsd1.dc.comcast.net)
Date: October 18, 2010 06:41PM

Rita
AnneDVM

How long must one stay on the NHL IR list before being activated? I periodically check the Panther's website, but havent' seen anything about when he is expected to return.

I believe it's 7 days.

Posted by: sah67 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 18, 2010 08:10PM

Matt Moulson just scored on a pretty forehand-to-backhand move off a feed from Tavares to put the Islanders up 1-0 over the Leafs.

Date: October 19, 2010 06:27PM

sah67
Matt Moulson just scored on a pretty forehand-to-backhand move off a feed from Tavares to put the Islanders up 1-0 over the Leafs.
And, via the ECAC site, here's another article about his name being mentioned on 30 Rock.

Date: October 20, 2010 04:14PM

Rita
AnneDVM

Bitz will be out for 6 more weeks after undergoing surgery to repair a sports hernia, per [url= ]Kevin Allen's tweet[/url].

Date: October 20, 2010 04:23PM

cbuckser
Rita
AnneDVM

Bitz will be out for 6 more weeks after undergoing surgery to repair a sports hernia, per [url= ]Kevin Allen's tweet[/url].[/quote]

Thanks for the update. Bummer that he will be out that long. With the new GM and coaching staff, I wonder if that will affect how Bitz fits into the new plan and his chances of remaining with the organization.

Date: October 21, 2010 12:18PM

Trotsky
This should give you a good sense for how it's going in Ottawa. It's focused on the defense, but maybe they could use a solid winger who is defensively responsible. Ottawa GM Not Happy

Date: October 21, 2010 01:19PM

RatushnyFan
Trotsky
This should give you a good sense for how it's going in Ottawa. It's focused on the defense, but maybe they could use a solid winger who is defensively responsible. Ottawa GM Not Happy
Yikes.

One of the hosts on the XM Home Ice show is a suffering Sens fan, so the audience gets to hear about how bad they are, in every phase of the game, every day. Apparently (sez him) their fans suck, too.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: October 21, 2010 02:55PM

CowbellGuy
I thought this meant that he was put on waivers pending release but he was assigned to Springfield (AHL).

Posted by: cbuckser (134.186.179.---)
Date: October 21, 2010 03:19PM

ugarte
CowbellGuy
I thought this meant that he was put on waivers pending release but he was assigned to Springfield (AHL).
As a rule of thumb, older or experienced players cannot get sent to the minors without clearing waivers. The quality of goaltenders getting waived this month was unusually high; the Blue Jackets faced little risk of him getting claimed.

Posted by: munchkin (---.partners.org)
Date: October 21, 2010 04:14PM

Matt Moulson featured inPuck Daddy, the Yahoo Hockey Blog. Fun story.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: October 21, 2010 05:28PM

cbuckser
ugarte
CowbellGuy
As a rule of thumb, older or experienced players cannot get sent to the minors without clearing waivers. The quality of goaltenders getting waived this month was unusually high; the Blue Jackets faced little risk of him getting claimed.
Sure. My assumption stemmed more from the fact that nobody updated the assignment. I assumed he'd have resigned somewhere else by now and when nobody posted anything I went to teh Googles.

Posted by: jkahn (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: October 21, 2010 10:17PM

Moulson scores in overtime (after a lengthy review on what was originally called no goal) to beat the Lightning.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 21, 2010 10:22PM

That's 4-2-6 in 7 games for Matt.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2010 10:22PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Cactus12 (---.med.nyu.edu)
Date: October 22, 2010 12:09AM

He provides a nice Cornell presence on my fantasy team :-)

Posted by: amerks127 (---.inet6.dpw.com)
Date: October 22, 2010 10:59AM

Despite giving up five goals, Ben Scrivens won his first start as a pro last Saturday for the Reading Royals of the ECHL. He came on in relief on Sunday and played much better (23/24 in 50:42). Overall his GAA is 3.40 with a SV% .898. Not bad in a league with terrible defense.

Brendon Nash also scored his first professional goal last night on the power play.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2010 11:07AM by amerks127.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.24.---)
Date: October 22, 2010 11:39AM

Trotsky

A great start indeed to lead the first place Islanders. :-D

(Gotta get that in there while it lasts!)

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 22, 2010 06:42PM

Jordan 04
Trotsky

A great start indeed to lead the first place Islanders. :-D

(Gotta get that in there while it lasts!)
I know. Long live October hockey.

Posted by: amerks127 (---.inet6.dpw.com)
Date: October 27, 2010 04:19PM

B. Nash had a goal and assist for Hamilton last Sunday. He now has 2 goal and 4 assists through this first 6 games.

Date: October 28, 2010 01:04PM

On the other hand, brother Riley is 0-0-0 and a -2 after 8 games. I remember it took John Madden, Zach Parise and some others some time in their first AHL season to get used to the speed and increased level of physical play prior to turning things around and posting a decent first professional season. Fingers crossed.

Re: Alumni in the Pros - October 2010-Michael Kennedy
Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: October 31, 2010 12:13AM

Michael Kennedy's stats with the Florida Everblades which includes an assist Friday night v. Kalamazoo.

Season Team GP G A PTS +/- SOG PIM
2010-11 Regular Season Florida Everblades 8 1 3 4 3 11 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login