Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Student Season Ticket Information

Posted by Jmw398 
Student Season Ticket Information
Posted by: Jmw398 (---.res-wired.cornell.edu)
Date: September 13, 2010 01:20PM

The Athletic Ticket Office released student season ticket info today for the 10-11 season:

http://cornellbigred.com/news/2010/9/12/MICE_0912100342.aspx

In addition to the elimination of the line, this change was very notable:

A modest change in the type of seating available to undergraduates is also in place in 2010-11. Sections B and D will continue to be reserved seating. Sections A (excluding band seats), E and F will now be general admission, making it easier for friends to sit together.

Any thoughts on what impact this will have on the Lynah Faithful?

Re: Student Season Ticket Information
Posted by: ajh258 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: September 13, 2010 01:29PM

I had section A tickets last year. If this was true before, I would not get to sit in section B, which would suck. So I'm actually quite upset.

Edit: Actually, I don't know what I'm more upset about - no more lines or no more section A season tickets.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2010 01:44PM by ajh258.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: September 13, 2010 02:07PM

Well, it's a start. I'd like to see B & D added to GA as well. That's the best way to get people to show up on time. It would be hard to police, I suppose, since everyone would just try to cram into B and D, so I guess the reserved seating in those two sections acts as a buffer. ajh, I don't really understand how this policy would prevent you from sitting where you want, assuming you meet the requirements to get an early pick.

Posted by: amerks127 (---.inet6.dpw.com)
Date: September 13, 2010 02:54PM

CowbellGuy
Well, it's a start. I'd like to see B & D added to GA as well. That's the best way to get people to show up on time. It would be hard to police, I suppose, since everyone would just try to cram into B and D, so I guess the reserved seating in those two sections acts as a buffer.

Gene told @ebilmes and me that general admission would be a phased-in process. My guess is that this is a trial period, and if successful, B and D could return to general admission as well. Either way, this is a huge improvement in policy and certainly a more streamlined approach for the Ticket Office.

Any word on what will happen with t-shirts? Did the CHA sponsor something this year?
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2010 03:16PM by amerks127.

Date: September 13, 2010 03:13PM

Well, I would rather get section A tickets with my friends because there's a sense of ownership that comes with season tickets and I think that sense is integral to the loyalty of our fans. I agree that sometimes student enthusiasm dwindle in section A, but there's simply not enough spots in section B that will give all dedicated fans tickets. I sat in section D a few times and the atmosphere is just not the same. Maybe they should simply raise season ticket prices in B and A to weed out the less enthusiastic and let D, E, and F be GA.

However, I do see how first come first serve is better, so maybe season GA tickets for section A and B at higher prices? Not sure which one is best, so I'm going to reserve final judgment until a few games into the season.

Posted by: Robb (---.198-178.cust.bluewin.ch)
Date: September 13, 2010 04:32PM

ajh258
Well, I would rather get section A tickets with my friends because there's a sense of ownership that comes with season tickets and I think that sense is integral to the loyalty of our fans. I agree that sometimes student enthusiasm dwindle in section A, but there's simply not enough spots in section B that will give all dedicated fans tickets. I sat in section D a few times and the atmosphere is just not the same. Maybe they should simply raise season ticket prices in B and A to weed out the less enthusiastic and let D, E, and F be GA.

However, I do see how first come first serve is better, so maybe season GA tickets for section A and B at higher prices? Not sure which one is best, so I'm going to reserve final judgment until a few games into the season.
The way I read it, you can still buy a Section A student season ticket - it just won't have a seat number on it. If you want to sit in the same seat for each game, you just have to be sure to show up early enough to claim it.

Posted by: ajh258 (---.res-wired.cornell.edu)
Date: September 13, 2010 09:45PM

Sections A (excluding band seats), E and F will now be general admission, making it easier for friends to sit together.

Hmm.... that actually changes things quite a bit. If so, then I'm all for it. I show up 30 minutes early anyways.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: September 14, 2010 04:18PM

So if I understand that, the online part is just to get a "ticket", and then you use that "ticket" to later get actual specific seats in B/D or general seats in A/etc.? And the way they give preference is the time ranges that different groups can buy the "ticket"s? I remember the joy of everyone trying to get on Just The Facts at the exact same time and that working out no so well, so I'm assuming the technology has improved since then.

Really, was "wait in the damn line until they sell them" that tough?

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: September 15, 2010 10:45AM

French Rage
I'm sure it's a headache for the university, but it was a great experience. And will the shirts read, "I spent 2 minutes online"?

Posted by: ajh258 (---.res-wired.cornell.edu)
Date: September 15, 2010 11:00AM

Trotsky
French Rage
I'm sure it's a headache for the university, but it was a great experience. And will the shirts read, "I spent 2 minutes online"?

Ha! I would love to see this on next year's shirts. Email CHA!

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 20, 2010 10:57AM

Help us older alums verify what seems to be the obvious: The ticket line and ticket rules have been eased way back because Lynah is no longer a sellout at least for people wanting season (not just Harvard single-game) tickets?

BTW older isn't all that old. Half of all Cornellians going back to 1875 are the ones who've been students since 1990. Correction, that must be half of all living Cornellians.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.med.cornell.edu)
Date: September 20, 2010 11:39AM

billhoward
Help us older alums verify what seems to be the obvious: The ticket line and ticket rules have been eased way back because Lynah is no longer a sellout at least for people wanting season (not just Harvard single-game) tickets?

BTW older isn't all that old. Half of all Cornellians going back to 1875 are the ones who've been students since 1990. Correction, that must be half of all living Cornellians.

The line and rules started to be changed after the 03-04 line fiasco. There were several "pre-lines" that formed and then people started making a list after CUPD and athletics tried to disperse people lining up before the official start time. Then there were all kinds of problems when the official line started including large groups of people holding spots with 1 person and then just cutting in front of everyone. It turned in to a big ordeal with a lot of people unhappy. To avoid people lining up early they started going with the announcing where/when the line was on the website and radio. This also turned in to a disaster after they very obviously made all of the locations within the athletics part of campus and cars and pedestrians all rushing to the same place didn't seem very safe. There was also the year where it started at the doors to Lynah, but they didn't actually open the doors so there was a nice stampede on the steps. I imagine the lack of selling out the past few years has not encouraged them to go back to the old ways and instead they have just resorted to a basic lottery now.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.24.---)
Date: September 20, 2010 01:23PM

Jacob '06
billhoward

The line and rules started to be changed after the 03-04 line fiasco.

Wait, what? There wasn't a hockey season that year.

Date: September 20, 2010 04:09PM

Jacob '06
They've been dicking with the lines and rules every year since 1981, and I only pick then because I wasn't around before to observe the dicking. Ahem.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: September 20, 2010 05:13PM

Trotsky
Jacob '06
They've been dicking with the lines and rules every year since 1981, and I only pick then because I wasn't around before to observe the dicking. Ahem.
There didn't used to be rules. We made up our rules as we formed the line. No one had problems cutting in, etc. Of course hockey before 1981 wasn't what it is now, so no one cared back then.:-D

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: September 20, 2010 05:37PM

I can't do it. I started to write a post in this thread but I just cant. Every year this thread starts and gradually evolves into the same boring history lesson. There's a search feature on the site. It will provide more information than my post anyway.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: September 20, 2010 05:59PM

ugarte
I can't do it. I started to write a post in this thread but I just cant. Every year this thread starts and gradually evolves into the same boring history lesson. There's a search feature on the site. It will provide more information than my post anyway.

Back in my day, the seats were just logs and tickets were pieces of bark. Ice was still ice, though, having been invented the previous year.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 20, 2010 08:13PM

ugarte
What, with this excellent opportunity to be funny, you can't? :-O

Date: September 21, 2010 07:43AM

Jim Hyla
ugarte
What, with this excellent opportunity to be funny, you can't? :-O
He was being post-post-self-reflective funny. There's a search feature on this site. It will provide many previous examples of this type of humor. ;-)

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 21, 2010 09:31AM

When Harvard got called for tripping, a cheer arose: "Thou, thou, thou."

Posted by: hockeychick470 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 21, 2010 10:19PM

I'd like to point out that the drop in interest that came after the '05-'06 season was accompanied by a doubling in student ticket prices when they dropped the SA funding

Posted by: JDeafv (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 22, 2010 06:43AM

Anybody else try to buy graduate student tickets this morning? The link is now gone ... sold out?

Edit: link is back.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2010 07:09AM by JDeafv.

Posted by: CornellCommodore (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 22, 2010 06:46AM

I tried to buy them and the following occurred. I clicked on 'hockey tickets' and selected '2' from a dropdown menu as to how many i wanted. I then clicked 'submit', only to be told that 'i must select a number of tickets that i want'. I then picked '2' again, only to have the same issue. This happened about 4 times. Then i reloaded the page and I can't click on it anymore.

I'm thinking technical difficulty, but if they are sold out and I was unable to purchase because the website couldn't recognize '2'...

EDIT: Just got off the phone, and evidently it was a technical difficulty. As of my conversation, evidently no tickets have been sold, as the site wasn't working. So, clearly, tickets are not sold out.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2010 07:03AM by CornellCommodore.

Posted by: andrew r (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 22, 2010 11:15PM

Regarding the graduate student tickets. I purchased a pair early this morning. My question is what section are these seats in, or are graduate students a part of the seat selection process.

Posted by: andrew r (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 22, 2010 11:26PM

If I do have the choice, what is the best section to be in?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2010 12:06AM by andrew r.

Date: September 22, 2010 11:29PM

andrew r
That, if I do have the choice, what is the best section to be in?

B

Posted by: RobertSchur (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 27, 2010 06:00PM

For those curious, the computers didn't crash this morning! Instead, by 6:31, I was saving my confirmation and going back to bed. We'll see how Friday ends up

Posted by: mnagowski (---.bflony.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 03, 2010 12:55PM

RobertSchur
For those curious, the computers didn't crash this morning! Instead, by 6:31, I was saving my confirmation and going back to bed. We'll see how Friday ends up

How did it end up?

Date: October 03, 2010 01:16PM

The line was still pretty long. My girlfriend was number 478 and she didn't get her tickets until after 9 p.m. The ticket event started around 7 p.m. and people had numbers up to 900. Once again, the student tickets did not sell out.

People were pretty reluctant about the changes in Section A because most students really want seats as close to the ice as possible. General admissions tickets don't guarantee seating position so people either blocked in B or D. I heard, at one point, the ticketing staff were begging people to take Section A tickets because no one was taking them.

Also, they changed the season ticket shirts this year. Instead of cotton t-shirts, they gave out these polyester long-sleeves that has the "C" bear logo and "Cornell" on the front, with the Lynah Faithful logo on the back. The sleeves are also shorter and wider than regular long-sleeves, like an actual hockey sweater.

Here's a picture of the shirt that I took with my phone.

Posted by: munchkin (---.partners.org)
Date: October 03, 2010 02:48PM

I'm glad I have my four years of Lynah Faithful shirts. I'm not sure I like this new idea. At least keep the Lynah Faithful logo on the front. It's tradition.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: October 03, 2010 04:13PM

Oh, no - they printed the shirts backwards!!

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: October 05, 2010 09:17AM

This I whispered, and an echo murmured back the word, "Llenro!" -
Merely this, and nothin mo'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2010 09:18AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Rita (129.171.150.---)
Date: January 05, 2011 06:08PM

This probably belongs in JSID, but with our yearly discussion of how student hockey tickets are distributed, it kind of fits here too.

If you miss camping out in line for tickets, come to Ft. Myers next year for the Estero Tournament and stick around for another 10 days or so to get tickets for Red Sox spring training games.woot

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: January 05, 2011 06:21PM

Rita
This probably belongs in JSID, but with our yearly discussion of how student hockey tickets are distributed, it kind of fits here too.

If you miss camping out in line for tickets, come to Ft. Myers next year for the Estero Tournament and stick around for another 10 days or so to get tickets for Red Sox spring training games.woot
In other news, apparently there are a bunch of unemployed Red Sox fans hanging around Southwest Florida. wtf

Date: January 06, 2011 10:30AM

Josh '99
unemployed Red Sox fans
Are there any other kind?

Posted by: Rita (129.171.150.---)
Date: January 06, 2011 10:49AM

Trotsky
Josh '99
unemployed Red Sox fans
Are there any other kind?

Hey, there are a few of us that are gainfully employed. **]

Hey, some of us are gainfully employed ;-). I knew tickets for the games were hard to get, but to camp out for them? Really? I'll have to ask my parents friend what he pays a scalper for tix. Maybe the scalpers do charge enough to support their "unemployment".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login