Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Alumni in the Pros - September 2010

Posted by Beeeej 
Alumni in the Pros - September 2010
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: September 03, 2010 10:19AM

Douglas Murray gets a nice mention in this new piece about the Sharks' defense.

[bleacherreport.com]

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Re: Alumni in the Pros - September 2010
Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 12, 2010 02:38AM

One of the videos is an interview with Ben Scrivens [video.mapleleafs.nhl.com]. It's dated 9/10/10.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2010 01:32AM by ursusminor.

Posted by: cbuckser (---.dsl.scrm01.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 12, 2010 10:03PM

Ben earned some rave reviews for his play in tonight's Leafs rookie game. James Mirtle has hinted that he will soon write an article about Ben for the Globe & Mail.

Posted by: underskill (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 12, 2010 10:37PM

[mapleleafs.nhl.com]|TOR|home

Video highlights of the game are linked in the article. Scrivens looks strange in an all white goalie mask.

Posted by: profudge (---.bluebird.ibm.com)
Date: September 14, 2010 01:07PM

One of Scrivens teammates maybe Jerry D'Amigo from RPI & ECAC Rookie of the Year last year to Leafs prospect this year:

D'Amigo ahead of the curve

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 14, 2010 04:56PM

So much for ECAC name recognition. National Post story has RPI's D'Amigo as "Hockey East's top rookie" last year. I'd be proud if that was the biggest mistake I made in print on online this year.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: September 14, 2010 10:46PM

Greening meets Thiessen again.

[www.ottawacitizen.com]

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: September 15, 2010 12:41PM

ebilmes
Greening meets Thiessen again.

[www.ottawacitizen.com]

And Kurt Kleinen-dork coaching Binghamton.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 19, 2010 08:45AM

Montreal Gazette article, via ECAC site, on O'Byrne.

Posted by: sah67 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 20, 2010 08:22PM

Riley Nash will center the 2nd line in Carolina's first preseason game tomorrow night against Florida:
[blogs.newsobserver.com]

Posted by: mha (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: September 22, 2010 06:15PM

According to the Globe and Mail, Ben Scrivens '10 is slated to take over the Maple Leafs goal halfway through tonight's game against the Ottawa Senators. Go Ben! It appears the game will be on the NHL Network, running tonight at 11pm, unless that's a time-zone glitch in the web listing.

[www.theglobeandmail.com]

Date: September 22, 2010 08:36PM

mha
According to the Globe and Mail, Ben Scrivens '10 is slated to take over the Maple Leafs goal halfway through tonight's game against the Ottawa Senators. Go Ben! It appears the game will be on the NHL Network, running tonight at 11pm, unless that's a time-zone glitch in the web listing.

The game started at 7PM eastern and is being shown live on TSN for the Canadians, but NHL Network will air a replay at 11PM.

Date: September 22, 2010 08:45PM

Here's a stream of the Maple Leafs game. Scrivens is in net and just finished the second period turning away a barrage of Ottawa powerplay chances.

[channelsurfing.net]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2010 08:45PM by sah67.

Date: September 22, 2010 09:39PM

Scrivens pitched a period and a half of shutout hockey after coming in at the halfway point, as the Leafs win 4-1.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: September 22, 2010 09:52PM

BUT IT'S THE SYSTEM!!!

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Greening feature
Date: September 22, 2010 11:07PM

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.nyc.deshaw.com)
Date: September 23, 2010 09:38AM

[www.thestar.com]

It doesn't say much about Ben's play, but does note that he faced 10 shots.

Posted by: jts15 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 24, 2010 08:54AM

[www.kuklaskorner.com]

Douglas Murray and his beer tap get a mention.

Posted by: The Rancor (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: September 25, 2010 09:07AM

Riley Nash preseason game photos from the Hurricanes website. Still looks good in Red.

Date: September 25, 2010 09:53AM

Via ECAC site, the Sporting News names Doug Murray as 16th smartest pro athlete. Reaction on the Sharks site.

Date: September 25, 2010 11:39AM

Brendon Nash is on the homepage of NHL.com after playing for Montreal last night against Colin Greening and the Senators in preseason action. The Habs won 4-2, and Brendon got some praise for his time on the powerplay, especially after setting up a PPG by Mathieu Darche (although he didn't end up getting credited with an assist).

Some comments from Habs fans on HFBoards:

Am I the only one who thinks Brendan Nash was pretty good?

I was at the Bell Center tonight and he's the guy that impressed me the most from the guys for which I had no expectations. I had never seen him played, but this guy has so much poise, he's big and has a good offensive instinct. I can really see him play in the NHL 2 years from now.

I thought the exact same thing. He was our best defenseman on the ice tonight, I really believe it. I was at the bell center at pretty good seats so I could see this kid is a fluid skater. Big, and not offensively retarded. good to see.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2010 11:45AM by sah67.

Posted by: Cactus12 (---.med.nyu.edu)
Date: September 25, 2010 05:15PM

In danger of stating the obvious... it seems that our players are becoming increasingly present at the NHL level. I didn't really observe this even 5 years ago (perhaps I wasn't paying close enough attention at the time?). Any statistics/opinions?

Date: September 25, 2010 05:59PM

sah67
Brendon Nash is on the homepage of NHL.com after playing for Montreal last night against Colin Greening and the Senators in preseason action. The Habs won 4-2, and Brendon got some praise for his time on the powerplay, especially after setting up a PPG by Mathieu Darche (although he didn't end up getting credited with an assist).

Some comments from Habs fans on HFBoards:

Am I the only one who thinks Brendan Nash was pretty good?

I was at the Bell Center tonight and he's the guy that impressed me the most from the guys for which I had no expectations. I had never seen him played, but this guy has so much poise, he's big and has a good offensive instinct. I can really see him play in the NHL 2 years from now.

I thought the exact same thing. He was our best defenseman on the ice tonight, I really believe it. I was at the bell center at pretty good seats so I could see this kid is a fluid skater. Big, and not offensively retarded. good to see.
But I still don't understand why Schafer always played him.:-|

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 26, 2010 07:06PM

Cactus12
In danger of stating the obvious... it seems that our players are becoming increasingly present at the NHL level. I didn't really observe this even 5 years ago (perhaps I wasn't paying close enough attention at the time?). Any statistics/opinions?

I think college players in general are more prevalent at the NHL level than they were even 10 years ago. If anyone has the time I'd be interested in seeing a breakdown of NHL players by school over time. I'm certainly not going to look it up. :)

Posted by: pfibiger (---.186.101.97.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: September 26, 2010 07:53PM

Tom Lento
Cactus12

I think college players in general are more prevalent at the NHL level than they were even 10 years ago. If anyone has the time I'd be interested in seeing a breakdown of NHL players by school over time. I'm certainly not going to look it up. :)

I don't know of any place to see this over time, but this pdf is an interesting list of all NHLers from last year who played college hockey, and has a per-school break down.

[www.letsplayhockey.com]

Posted by: reilly83 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 26, 2010 09:01PM

And tonight Nash scores at 8:02 of the second against the Wild.

Riley sent down
Date: September 26, 2010 11:03PM

Date: September 27, 2010 08:38AM

Nash also has the front page of tsn's nhl page for now.

[www.tsn.ca]

Date: September 27, 2010 09:04AM

Riley Nash sent down to Charlotte.

[www.kuklaskorner.com]

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: September 27, 2010 11:40AM

I think it says something about Cornell Hockey that I don't think of Brendon Nash as being particularly big (without doing any research, 6'3" seems to me to be pretty typical for Cornell defensemen) and the two Habs fans quoted both described him as such.

Date: September 27, 2010 11:43AM

reilly83
To clarify: Brendon Nash. He also had an assist on a Habs goal just about a minute before he scored.

Date: September 27, 2010 12:01PM

jts15
Riley Nash sent down to Charlotte.

[www.kuklaskorner.com]

Tell him he'll make the big team to get him out of school, but assign him to the farm club. Pretty typical.

Posted by: Ronald '09 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 27, 2010 12:03PM

Josh '99
I think it says something about Cornell Hockey that I don't think of Brendon Nash as being particularly big (without doing any research, 6'3" seems to me to be pretty typical for Cornell defensemen) and the two Habs fans quoted both described him as such.

Well, if you look at the Habs, anyone that is average sized for the NHL is big compared to most of their roster. Gionta, Gomez, Cammallerri, etc. Not exactly a team with much size at all. Other than O'Byrne.

Date: September 27, 2010 06:09PM

To be fair, I think everyone (him included) knew that he'd have at least a year in the AHL. He's not nhl-ready.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 27, 2010 10:23PM

jts15
Nash also has the front page of tsn's nhl page for now.

[www.tsn.ca]
Direct link to the Brendon story.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 27, 2010 10:44PM

David Harding

Direct link to the Brendon story.

Josh '99
To clarify: Brendon Nash. He also had an assist on a Habs goal just about a minute before he scored.

I think we're all seeing now how clearly selfish and inconsiderate it was of Riley to add one full year of confusion to all Nash-related Alumni in the Pros eLynah discussion! :-P

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: September 28, 2010 04:50PM

reilly83
As a general rule, since most readers won't be on the preseason schedule (who was playing the Wild?), can the AITP boxscore-trawlers (whose work is very much appreciated) identify which Nash they are writing about?

Edit: Why didn't I read all the way down before posting? (Thanks, Josh.) Still, it is a good general rule.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2010 04:51PM by ugarte.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: September 29, 2010 12:49PM

In case anyone missed the first shoe dropping in the Islanders "get kicked in the balls" week, here.

The second shoe is Okposo going down for 2-3 months.

Both stories affect Matt to some degree.

Posted by: sah67 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 30, 2010 12:16AM

Colin Greening sent down to the B-Sens.

Brendon Nash and Raymond Sawada also sent down to their respective AHL teams.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2010 12:26AM by sah67.

Date: September 30, 2010 08:12AM

Moulson was playing last night in the Isles-Flyers preseason game. I heard his name called a few times, but nothing notable.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2010 12:03PM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: September 30, 2010 08:18AM

sah67
Colin Greening sent down to the B-Sens.

Brendon Nash and Raymond Sawada also sent down to their respective AHL teams.

I had the OTT-TOR game on TV last night and didn't see Greening on the ice or roster so I was wondering if he did get sent down. Scrivens is still listed on the Toronto roster, but Giguere (sp) played the whole game.

Posted by: bigredtrumpet (---.comcastcntr.pa.bo.comcast.net)
Date: September 30, 2010 08:26AM

Since no one else mentioned it, on Tuesday, David Leneveu played the second half and overtime to get the shootout (preseason) victory for the Columbus Blue Jackets against the Minnesota Wild.

He also survived as the Blue Jackets cut down to 3 goaltenders.

Posted by: sah67 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 30, 2010 09:16AM

Rita
Scrivens is still listed on the Toronto roster, but Giguere (sp) played the whole game.

Scrivens was sent down to the AHL over the weekend:
[bleacherreport.com]

Posted by: Rita (129.171.150.---)
Date: September 30, 2010 10:07AM

sah67
Rita
Scrivens is still listed on the Toronto roster, but Giguere (sp) played the whole game.

Scrivens was sent down to the AHL over the weekend:
[bleacherreport.com]

I guess NHL.com's gamecast department didn't get the memo. That is where I saw Ben's name (and didn't see Colin's).

Posted by: RichH (167.225.107.---)
Date: September 30, 2010 11:25AM

bigredtrumpet
Since no one else mentioned it, on Tuesday, David Leneveu played the second half and overtime to get the shootout (preseason) victory for the Columbus Blue Jackets against the Minnesota Wild.

I was surprised to see his name pop up on the "bottom line" ticker on the NHL Network that night for getting the W. Mostly because he hasn't been mentioned on this thread at all.

Date: September 30, 2010 11:37AM

RichH
bigredtrumpet

I was surprised to see his name pop up on the "bottom line" ticker on the NHL Network that night for getting the W. Mostly because he hasn't been mentioned on this thread at all.
I hadn't heard anything about him since I looked into what he'd been up to for the Alumni In The Playoffs thread back in the spring. Guess he played well enough in Austria to earn another shot here.

Date: September 30, 2010 11:46AM

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: September 30, 2010 01:01PM

"an arguably stellar season" wank

Date: September 30, 2010 01:01PM

He was selected by the Phoenix Coyotes in the second round, 46th overall, in the 2002 NHL Entry Draft. After an arguably stellar season in 2002/2003 with Cornell University, he made the decision to turn pro. While he’s only played 21 games at the NHL level, he wants to have a good season to hopefully secure another NHL job.
"Arguably"? Oh right, "it's the system." wank

Tim Thomas spent years bouncing around the minors and Europe and didn't see significant time in the NHL until he was 31, and he went on to have a couple of really good years and win a Vezina Trophy. Sounds like LeNeveu has the right attitude and there's certainly still time for him to build a nice career for himself.

Posted by: bigredtrumpet (---.comcastcntr.pa.bo.comcast.net)
Date: September 30, 2010 03:36PM

RichH
bigredtrumpet

I thought I had seen somewhere on here (but then again maybe not) that he had signed a 2 way deal with Columbus. Also, I thought I saw that his Austrian team won their championship last year, but can't find that at the moment.

Date: September 30, 2010 08:42PM

For those of you who watch 30 Rock, on tonight's episode, Paul Giamatti guest-starring as an Islanders fan in the editing department at NBC, referenced Matt Moulson.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 30, 2010 09:32PM

sah67
For those of you who watch 30 Rock, on tonight's episode, Paul Giamatti guest-starring as an Islanders fan in the editing department at NBC, referenced Matt Moulson.

Just saw in on the DVR!

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 30, 2010 10:48PM

Jordan 04
sah67

Just saw in on the DVR!

Cult hero = moral victor!
crazy

Date: September 30, 2010 11:25PM

why did john adams just insult matt moulson on television?

Mike Kennedy signs with Everblades
Posted by: ebilmes (---.umsl.edu)
Date: October 01, 2010 04:57PM

I guess he enjoyed playing in the Germain Arena.

[www.news-press.com]

Re: Mike Kennedy signs with Everblades
Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: October 01, 2010 06:05PM

ebilmes
I guess he enjoyed playing in the Germain Arena.

[www.news-press.com]

I'm in Miami this weekend (taking my dog to the Marlins-Pirates game tonight), otherwise I would have been tempted to go over and watch.

A former Cornellian on the roster will definitely motivate me to take my niece and nephew to some Everblade games this fall. Though for Mike's sake, I hope he does find his way to the AHL soon.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: October 01, 2010 06:36PM

Rita
(taking my dog to the Marlins-Pirates game tonight)

And I'm taking my cat to an NBA game.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: October 01, 2010 08:24PM

Moulson just brought the fishsticks within 2 (4-2) in Newark at 14:28 second period. No tv, but I'm listening to the Devils' radio feed on WFAN.com. Yeah, I'm that big a Devils fan to listen to a radio broadcast of a preseason game.

Posted by: redice (---.sub-75-194-103.myvzw.com)
Date: October 01, 2010 08:40PM

Blake Gallagher is in the Elmira Jackals (ECHL) training camp.

-Ned Harkness

Date: October 01, 2010 09:09PM

Another one for Moulson. Make that 4-3 Devils at 11:18 third period.

Posted by: Luke 05 (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: October 01, 2010 10:29PM

Clearly the 30 Rock trade talk pushed a button.

Riley in the AHL
Date: October 02, 2010 11:02PM

Nash had a hat trick last night for the Charlotte Checkers.

[theahl.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login