Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Men's roster 2020-21

Posted by ACM 
Men's roster 2020-21
Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 06, 2020 12:48PM

Re: Men's roster 2020-21
Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 06, 2020 12:56PM

Looks like a good move for Cairns. He never fully hit his stride at Cornell, but got his degree and now goes to another top-flight program where perhaps he’ll find his game.

Date: October 06, 2020 01:06PM

We now have 8 defensemen on the roster, 1 of whom is Song who hasn’t played a regular season game in 2 years on the team. If we have a season and suffer some injuries on the back line, one of the forwards may have to pull an Alex Rauter.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 06, 2020 03:07PM

scoop85

Looks like a good move for Cairns. He never fully hit his stride at Cornell, but got his degree and now goes to another top-flight program where perhaps he’ll find his game.
Disappointing. My guess is he knows UMD is going to endanger their players but not sure if we are (spoiler: we are).

Welp. Fuck him.

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: October 07, 2020 05:42AM

Could be wrong on this, but based on their early junior (or hs/prep teams) all four are American?

Posted by: ugarte (---.sub-174-197-129.myvzw.com)
Date: October 07, 2020 01:05PM

Trotsky
scoop85

Disappointing. My guess is he knows UMD is going to endanger their players but not sure if we are (spoiler: we are).

Welp. Fuck him.
if he's a graduate transfer it sounds like his time with us was already done.

Date: October 07, 2020 01:15PM

ugarte
Trotsky
scoop85

Welp. Fuck him.

I guess, though he could have done his grad stuff here. I guess he moved to Duluth for the waters.

Date: October 07, 2020 01:23PM

Trotsky
ugarte
Trotsky
scoop85

Welp. Fuck him.

I guess, though he could have done his grad stuff here. I guess he moved to Duluth for the waters.

Nope. Ivy League does not allow grad students to play intercollegiate sports, even those with remaining athletic eligibility.

Date: October 07, 2020 01:34PM

scoop85
Trotsky
ugarte
Trotsky
scoop85

Welp. Fuck him.

Nope. Ivy League does not allow grad students to play intercollegiate sports, even those with remaining athletic eligibility.

I thought Auger (or somebody around then) did that? Fine. Unfuck him.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2020 01:35PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: October 07, 2020 02:07PM

Trotsky
scoop85
Trotsky
ugarte
Trotsky
scoop85

Welp. Fuck him.

Didn't Auger get an injury redshirt exception?

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: October 10, 2020 08:14AM

ugarte
Trotsky
scoop85

Welp. Fuck him.

From the article: "Cairns graduated from Cornell over the summer".

It sounds like he did some summer school work to get his graduation credits.

If so and he wanted to stay at CU, maybe he could have forgotten about summer school and stayed at CU.

With no fall hockey, couldn't he have just skipped the fall semester and be ready in the spring?

Does anyone know how soon you can play once you sign up for a semester? Do you have to wait till classes begin before you can play?

Even if that were true, I'd guess that there are ways of taking fall classes, but putting off some requirements till the spring. If not and regardless he was going to finish his degree in the fall, it means he never had any intention of staying 4 years at CU.

Date: October 10, 2020 10:27AM

Beeeej
Trotsky

I looked back through TBRW and there has never been a "Gr" class for a Cornell player. Coulda sworn. Rashomon.

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 10, 2020 10:09PM

Beeeej
Trotsky
scoop85
Trotsky
ugarte
Trotsky
scoop85

Welp. Fuck him.

Yes he did. Unlike other leagues, that's also not automatic, he had to petition the league for the exemption. And then, IIRC, he got injured two games into his redshirt season anyway.

I think I fuzzily recall another Cornellian, maybe in the '90s, who would have ordinarily been eligible for a redshirt, but applied for the exemption and did not get it. But I'm not sure.

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 10, 2020 10:12PM

Trotsky
Beeeej
Trotsky

I looked back through TBRW and there has never been a "Gr" class for a Cornell player. Coulda sworn. Rashomon.

I have yet to hear a rational explanation of why the Ivy League does this. "Oh, you've busted your ass and graduated in three years instead of four? And you're coming back as a graduate student? Well, fuck you, you don't get that fourth year of eligibility. You should have slacked off a bit. We don't want our athletes working that hard."

Date: October 10, 2020 10:56PM

Give My Regards
I think I fuzzily recall another Cornellian, maybe in the '90s, who would have ordinarily been eligible for a redshirt, but applied for the exemption and did not get it. But I'm not sure.
Something like that happened to Inglehardt I believe.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: October 11, 2020 09:44AM

the same reason the expect the fball kids to show up for 4 yrs and never get to play for a NC that they might be good enough for but its ok for every other sports team to compete for them.

Date: October 11, 2020 01:47PM

upprdeck
the same reason the expect the fball kids to show up for 4 yrs and never get to play for a NC that they might be good enough for but its ok for every other sports team to compete for them.
That's about luxury branding.

Why would the Upper Class Twits of the Year send their precious Bronwyn and Margaux to 80k/year finishing school that lets footbaw players compete for the nc when they could go to UCLA or Michigan for half as much and get a better education?

But if you make a big show of not allowing athletic scholarships so the riff raff don't get in, and you artificially restrict the season so that Ag Ec and Hotel majors have more time to study Meats, well, now you're talking about a well-appointed Destination University.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2020 01:48PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: October 12, 2020 11:59AM

Jim Hyla

Even if that were true, I'd guess that there are ways of taking fall classes, but putting off some requirements till the spring. If not and regardless he was going to finish his degree in the fall, it means he never had any intention of staying 4 years at CU.

"Never" is a long time. I think his lack of playing time on the #1 ranked team in the country influenced his decision to speed up graduation and go elsewhere.

The article quotes him in several places, but he says nothing about academics. It's all about winning and reaching the next level. Well, if despite the splinters in his butt from sitting on the bench at Cornell he still wants to try to reach the next level, I say good for him and wish him good luck.

Date: October 12, 2020 12:10PM

Swampy
The article quotes him in several places, but he says nothing about academics. It's all about winning and reaching the next level. Well, if despite the splinters in his butt from sitting on the bench at Cornell he still wants to try to reach the next level, I say good for him and wish him good luck.

OK, but:

• He finished in three years. That shows academic commitment.
  • He was a 3rd round draft pick, he had the option to go to a factory all along.
  • He's going to a team with just as high internal competitiveness and he may sit again.

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 12, 2020 12:57PM

Trotsky
Swampy

OK, but:

• He was a 3rd round draft pick, he had the option to go to a factory all along.
  • He's going to a team with just as high internal competitiveness and he may sit again.

Ah yes, the true meaning of the word "irony." Hahaha

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: October 15, 2020 11:18AM

redice
Trotsky
Swampy

OK, but:

Ah yes, the true meaning of the word "irony." Hahaha

But the article mentions they're rebuilding their blue line, with two incoming frosh in the rotation. It sounds as if they'll carry 6 blueliners. I suspect 3 years under Schafer's tutelage will give him an edge for playing time.

I also suspect if he were playing regularly here, he wouldn't have been in such a hurry to graduate in three years.

It would be really interesting to hear from him a year from now, comparing both the hockey and academics. Hockeywise, it's somewhat of a lateral move; academically, it may be more like falling off a cliff.

Date: October 15, 2020 06:25PM

Swampy
Hockeywise, it's somewhat of a lateral move; academically, it may be more like falling off a cliff.
The Cornell hockey players attend is almost never the Cornell you and I attended.

Posted by: abmarks (73.114.23.---)
Date: October 15, 2020 07:27PM

Trotsky
Swampy
Hockeywise, it's somewhat of a lateral move; academically, it may be more like falling off a cliff.
The Cornell hockey players attend is almost never the Cornell you and I attended.

There were two of them in my Freshman writing seminar tho :)

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.44.98.30.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: October 15, 2020 09:12PM

abmarks
Trotsky
Swampy

And one in my senior year Comm Arts (Mass Media) elective, altho he was a junior at the time. That particular hockey player wound up with a broadcasting career.

Date: October 15, 2020 10:15PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
abmarks
Trotsky
Swampy

And one in my senior year Comm Arts (Mass Media) elective, altho he was a junior at the time. That particular hockey player wound up with a broadcasting career.

Daren Eliot I presume?

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.44.98.30.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: October 16, 2020 07:31PM

scoop85
Jeff Hopkins '82
abmarks
Trotsky
Swampy

Daren Eliot I presume?

Yep. I remember him as being pretty quiet. Certainly not the person seen on various broadcasts.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login