Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Penalty Killing Streak

Posted by andyw2100 
Penalty Killing Streak
Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 26, 2019 05:53PM

The following question is not in any way intended to upset the woofing gods.

Apparently the Cornell penalty kill has a streak of 39 straight kills. Following are the relevant excerpts from the game notes and game preview from before the Union game and before the (coming) St. Lawrence game, respectively:

--
Cornell enters tonight with 35 consecutive successful penalty kills. It's the longest such streak in program history since 36 straight from Dec. 3, 2005 to
Jan. 14, 2006. The last power-play goal conceded by the Big Red was Jan. 5 at Quinnipiac.
--

--
Cornell enters tonight with 39 consecutive successful penalty kills. It's the longest such streak in program history since at least the turn of the century. The last power-play goal conceded by the Big Red was Jan. 5 at Quinnipiac.
--

Wondering if anyone here can actually provide more detail on the "turn of the century" part in the most recent update.

Re: Penalty Killing Streak
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: February 26, 2019 06:07PM

andyw2100
The following question is not in any way intended to upset the woofing gods.

Apparently the Cornell penalty kill has a streak of 39 straight kills. Following are the relevant excerpts from the game notes and game preview from before the Union game and before the (coming) St. Lawrence game, respectively:

--
Cornell enters tonight with 35 consecutive successful penalty kills. It's the longest such streak in program history since 36 straight from Dec. 3, 2005 to
Jan. 14, 2006. The last power-play goal conceded by the Big Red was Jan. 5 at Quinnipiac.
--

--
Cornell enters tonight with 39 consecutive successful penalty kills. It's the longest such streak in program history since at least the turn of the century. The last power-play goal conceded by the Big Red was Jan. 5 at Quinnipiac.
--

Wondering if anyone here can actually provide more detail on the "turn of the century" part in the most recent update.

I can't help you on your question, but anytime someone says "turn of the century", I immediately think of 1900.

I don't know if that will ever leave me.

Well maybe if I live to be 100.

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: February 27, 2019 07:59AM

AL DeFlorio and I used to sit in the telegraph office and get the play by play. Distant memory being relatively less affected, I can tell you yes, this is a current record. But the game was more gentlemanly then. The ruffians pretty much stayed with football. And lacrosse.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: February 27, 2019 09:43AM

The 1999-2000 Washington Capitals killed off 53 consecutive penalties. IINM this is the NHL record.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: February 27, 2019 05:06PM

TimV
AL DeFlorio and I used to sit in the telegraph office and get the play by play. Distant memory being relatively less affected, I can tell you yes, this is a current record. But the game was more gentlemanly then. The ruffians pretty much stayed with football. And lacrosse.

Well, what you said was almost true for me and a friend.

I've posted this in the past, but for the 1968 FF (equivalent) we were playing out west and I was in Boston. Couldn't go to the game and of course no one in Boston was broadcasting it. So we wired my friends phone to his "hi fi" and before each period we'd call my friend in Ithaca. He'd put his phone in front of his radio and 4 of us in Boston would listen to WHCU.

By the next season we were in med school in Rochester and didn't have to do all that.

As an aside, as I was driving away from this years 3-3 Brown game I could listen to WHCU in Providence. I guess the waves were just bouncing the right way that night, even if the puck wasn't.

Posted by: Swampy (---.cl.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 28, 2019 12:18AM

Jim Hyla
TimV

I've posted this in the past, but for the 1968 FF (equivalent) we were playing out west and I was in Boston. Couldn't go to the game and of course no one in Boston was broadcasting it. So we wired my friends phone to his "hi fi" and before each period we'd call my friend in Ithaca. He'd put his phone in front of his radio and 4 of us in Boston would listen to WHCU.

By the next season we were in med school in Rochester and didn't have to do all that.

As an aside, as I was driving away from this years 3-3 Brown game I could listen to WHCU in Providence. I guess the waves were just bouncing the right way that night, even if the puck wasn't.

Reminds me of Dec.28, 1966. I had been an engineering co-op student stationed in Endicott, NY. I was out in the middle of nowhere, probably driving to NYC from Endicott. Back then at night we could get AM radio from all over the place: WLS in Chicago, CKLW in Windsor Ontario, WOWO In Ft. Wayne, some station in Wheeling, WV, etc. I think I was listening to the latter, when they announced a basketball score: Cornell 92 at Adolf Rupp-coached Kentucky 77. I had to pull over because I thought I had gone insane and was hallucinating.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 28, 2019 12:57AM

Swampy
Jim Hyla
TimV

Reminds me of Dec.28, 1966. I had been an engineering co-op student stationed in Endicott, NY. I was out in the middle of nowhere, probably driving to NYC from Endicott. Back then at night we could get AM radio from all over the place: WLS in Chicago, CKLW in Windsor Ontario, WOWO In Ft. Wayne, some station in Wheeling, WV, etc. I think I was listening to the latter, when they announced a basketball score: Cornell 92 at Adolf Rupp-coached Kentucky 77. I had to pull over because I thought I had gone insane and was hallucinating.

WWVA

I guess that a lot of people did that in those days, even those who followed poorer teams. I think that it was WGY in Schenectady which carried RPI games in addition to WRPI whose AM broadcasts were only available in the dorms, but I recall being on break in NYC exactly two days later on 12/30/66 and listening through a lot of static to RPI and Michigan tying 6-6.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2019 04:15AM by ursusminor.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.37.26.69.virtela.net)
Date: February 28, 2019 08:09AM

ursusminor
Swampy
Jim Hyla
TimV

WWVA

I guess that a lot of people did that in those days, even those who followed poorer teams. I think that it was WGY in Schenectady which carried RPI games in addition to WRPI whose AM broadcasts were only available in the dorms, but I recall being on break in NYC exactly two days later on 12/30/66 and listening through a lot of static to RPI and Michigan tying 6-6.

I actually got into hockey because of clear channel (small C) radio stations. As a kid, we used to listen to WBZ from Boston which had some "out there" call in shows in the evening. Occasionally, they pre-empted the talk shows for Bruins (and Braves) hockey games. I learned the game from listening to those (and eventually from watching Rangers games on WOR and HBO once we got cable).

As to hearing WHCU now, another clear channel station blocks that for me. WWL from New Orleans also broadcasts on 870 kHz. I need just the right conditions to hear WHCU and it doesn't happen often enough when I want to listen to a game.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2019 08:18PM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 28, 2019 10:17AM

ursusminor
Swampy
Jim Hyla
TimV

WWVA

Gee, and I thought I was old :-D

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: February 28, 2019 10:19AM

I heard Lance Nethery on a Hershey Bears broadcast in 1986.

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.clppva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 01, 2019 09:25PM

well the woofing gods didn't like that....

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 01, 2019 09:33PM

Had to end sometime. 41 is pretty sweet. Even with partials that's likely more than a complete game shut out playing a man down.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2019 09:34PM by Trotsky.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login