Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

2019-02-02: Cornell 1 RPI 1 (ot)

Posted by Trotsky 
2019-02-02: Cornell 1 RPI 1 (ot)
Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 02, 2019 06:35PM

That thing we did last night? Let's do that again.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2019 03:39PM by Trotsky.

Re: 2019-02-02: #13 Cornell at RPI
Posted by: Iceberg (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 02, 2019 07:41PM

This play-by-play guy seems to have an affection for Snoopy. I think he was mentioned 10 times in that period

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2019 08:11PM

Game is on the YouTube channel on roku.

Posted by: kevdog8 (---.s3743.c3-0.43d-cbr1.qens-43d.ny.cable.rcncustomer.com)
Date: February 02, 2019 09:38PM

Oof.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 02, 2019 11:49PM

Cornell dominated possession but just didn't look sharp all night. More bad turnovers by a few certain players (they know who they are). Still four more games versus teams at the bottom of the PWR which will likely again come down to whether Cornell can take advantage of dominant possession numbers by creating/finishing chances. Lucky for Cornell, Western Michigan lost tonight and so the Red remain 9th in the Pairwise.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 03, 2019 07:23AM

highlights [www.youtube.com]

Date: February 03, 2019 07:55AM

Clearly Cornell couldn't win because my RPI alumnus friend and I moved out of the area and couldn't see the game in person this year.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.132.76.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: February 03, 2019 08:52AM

ursusminor

Highlights in a 1-1 tie? No thanks.

Date: February 03, 2019 09:07AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
ursusminor

Then it's a good thing that I didn't also link the RPI postgame interviews. whistle

Although Cornell has an overwhelming edge over the years against RPI, RPI has had a number of significant wins vs. the Big Red. E.g., the December 1968 game which I use in my avatar here.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-219-133.myvzw.com)
Date: February 03, 2019 10:56AM

ursusminor
Jeff Hopkins '82
ursusminor

Then it's a good thing that I didn't also link the RPI postgame interviews. whistle

Although Cornell has an overwhelming edge over the years against RPI, RPI has had a number of significant wins vs. the Big Red. E.g., the December 1968 game which I use in my avatar here.

Didn't we lose @RPI last year? Just checked, we did. Right around this time of year, too.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 03, 2019 11:18AM

ursusminor
I really don't give a shit, Ralph. Don't you think it's time to grow up and forget this?

Date: February 03, 2019 11:35AM

Dafatone
ursusminor
Jeff Hopkins '82
ursusminor

Didn't we lose @RPI last year? Just checked, we did. Right around this time of year, too.

Last year, RPI won the game in Ithaca.

Date: February 03, 2019 12:53PM

Dafatone

Before yesterday the last two games in Troy were Cornell victories, and I remember this because I saw them in person. Before that though was a long stretch of either losses or ties because I think there was only one road win at RPI when I was a student, which was when the Devin brothers were still around I think.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-219-133.myvzw.com)
Date: February 03, 2019 12:54PM

Iceberg
Dafatone

Before yesterday the last two games in Troy were Cornell victories, and I remember this because I saw them in person. Before that though was a long stretch of either losses or ties because I think there was only one road win at RPI when I was a student, which was when the Devin brothers were still around I think.

I guess it was the home game last year.

Either way, it seems like RPI games are always close and low scoring.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 03, 2019 01:06PM

Still 3 pts for an away weekend.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 03, 2019 03:10PM

Team                SOG Goals  Pct
Cornell ............ 41    1   2.4% 
RPI     ............ 15    1   6.7% 
If Cornell doesn't let in the late goal, Matt Galajda might've been goalie of the week. Now it's RPI freshman goaltender Owen Savory, who's given up 2 goals in three games the past week against Union, Colgate and Cornell - 112 saves, .982 SV%.

Date: February 03, 2019 03:39PM

Al DeFlorio
ursusminor
I really don't give a shit, Ralph. Don't you think it's time to grow up and forget this?
Not as long as our last NCAA title was 1970. RPI, it should be noted, has had one since the Nixon administration.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2019 03:40PM by Trotsky.

Date: February 03, 2019 03:46PM

billhoward
Team                SOG Goals  Pct
Cornell ............ 41    1   2.4% 
RPI     ............ 15    1   6.7% 
If Cornell doesn't let in the late goal, Matt Galajda might've been goalie of the week. Now it's RPI freshman goaltender Owen Savory, who's given up 2 goals in three games the past week against Union, Colgate and Cornell - 112 saves, .982 SV%.

The RPI-Union game was nonleague. I don't think that it is supposed to count for ECAC awards.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 03, 2019 06:25PM

Trotsky
Al DeFlorio
ursusminor
Not as long as our last NCAA title was 1970. RPI, it should be noted, has had one since the Nixon administration.

Though they have not scored a single goal in an NCAA tournament game since then, so I hope it was worth it.

Posted by: RichH (159.192.217.---)
Date: February 03, 2019 09:08PM

The RPI-Union game was nonleague. I don't think that it is supposed to count for ECAC awards.

Donaldson won POTW for his performance vs Arizona State. Regush ROTW for the Northern Michigan series. They give out these awards every week, even during non-league play.

Date: February 03, 2019 09:10PM

RichH

Donaldson won POTW for his performance vs Arizona State. Regush ROTW for the Northern Michigan series. They give out these awards every week, even during non-league play.

Thanks.

Date: February 03, 2019 11:31PM

French Rage
Trotsky
Al DeFlorio
ursusminor

Though they have not scored a single goal in an NCAA tournament game since then, so I hope it was worth it.
I imagine it was.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2019 07:58AM

Trotsky
French Rage
Trotsky
Al DeFlorio
ursusminor

I imagine it was.

So if we somehow won the NC this year (we can dream, right?), what "price" would you be willing to pay for that? Going 10 years without an NCAA tournament win? 20 years? something else?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: February 04, 2019 09:57AM

scoop85
So if we somehow won the NC this year (we can dream, right?), what "price" would you be willing to pay for that? Going 10 years without an NCAA tournament win? 20 years? something else?
I'm sure they covered this on The Good Place.

Expected value calculations collapse in scenarios like that. That's why utilitarianism is stupid.

Posted by: BearLover (---.sub-174-203-10.myvzw.com)
Date: February 04, 2019 10:49AM

Trotsky
scoop85

Expected value calculations collapse in scenarios like that. That's why utilitarianism is stupid.
This is a conversation absolutely no one on this forum wants to read, but I don't understand why "EV calculations" would "collapse" or why this scenario would make utilitarianism "stupid."

Date: February 04, 2019 11:21AM

BearLover
Trotsky
scoop85

This is a conversation absolutely no one on this forum wants to read, but I don't understand why "EV calculations" would "collapse" or why this scenario would make utilitarianism "stupid."

Fuck em. They don't have to read if they don't want to.

Hey, you people? You don't have to read if you don't want to!

Because qualities like "happiness" don't behave as quantities like "liters of water." John Stuart Mill was a very nice man, at least after he had his breakdown, and a very, very smart man, but all his work relies on a category error. From what I understand of him had he realized this it would have given him a good laugh.

That's why the hypothetical above is a nonsense question. It reduces to "in order to be happy would you be unhappy?" The logical answer to which is "fuck art let's dance."
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2019 11:23AM by Trotsky.

Re: 2019-02-02: Cornell 1 RPI 1 (ot)
Posted by: Chris 02 (---.orbitalatk.com)
Date: February 04, 2019 02:07PM

Anyone know why the band didn't make the trip to RPI this weekend?

Posted by: Swampy (---.cl.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 04, 2019 02:39PM

Trotsky
BearLover
Trotsky
scoop85

Because qualities like "happiness" don't behave as quantities like "liters of water." John Stuart Mill was a very nice man, at least after he had his breakdown, and a very, very smart man, but all his work relies on a category error. From what I understand of him had he realized this it would have given him a good laugh.

That's why the hypothetical above is a nonsense question. It reduces to "in order to be happy would you be unhappy?" The logical answer to which is "fuck art let's dance."

Karl Marx (on J.S. Mill):
On the level plain, simple mounds look like hills; and the imbecile flatness of the present bourgeoisie is to be measured by the altitude of its great intellects.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2019 05:36PM

Chris 02

According to Jim Hyla the band plans to make the final two trips to the away series in the coming weeks.

He and I both think the shabby treatment by Union last year factored into the decision to skip RPI and Union. They treated the band like shit and then denied it all when faced with a letter that Jim wrote to complain.

Short version IIRC, the band was told they couldn't play unless Cornell scored. They were told no playing before the game, no playing during breaks in the action, and no playing between periods.

The band president negotiated a few concessions and I was amazed at his poise but it really stunk. In order to play the Alma Mater the band reassembled outside the rink after the game.

Thank God they're having a crap year.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2019 05:59PM by marty.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: February 04, 2019 10:01PM

marty
Chris 02

According to Jim Hyla the band plans to make the final two trips to the away series in the coming weeks.

He and I both think the shabby treatment by Union last year factored into the decision to skip RPI and Union. They treated the band like shit and then denied it all when faced with a letter that Jim wrote to complain.

Short version IIRC, the band was told they couldn't play unless Cornell scored. They were told no playing before the game, no playing during breaks in the action, and no playing between periods.

The band president negotiated a few concessions and I was amazed at his poise but it really stunk. In order to play the Alma Mater the band reassembled outside the rink after the game.

Correct. I talked to someone connected to the band, but not in it and their comment was that the band was quite upset with what happenned at Union. They felt that it was one reason for not making the trip. Another was money, that I believe was the main reason they didn't go to Colgate. If enough people had signed up for the CHA bus to Colgate, then they would have gone on that bus. Since the CHA couldn't find enough fans to fund their bus, the band stayed home.

Band trips are expensive and they just don't have enough money to do it all.

Donate and help them out.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 04, 2019 11:05PM

Trotsky
BearLover
Trotsky
scoop85

But nothing in life comes down to expected value. Everything comes down to expected utility, even if we may not consciously make decisions in those terms. When we decide how much water to drink, we don't run an expected value calculation in our head to maximize water consumed, or health benefits, or anything else. We instead, on an instinctive/intuitive level, make the choice that we perceive will maximize our utility: how much water should I drink to make me happiest in this moment? That is to say, we may struggle to break our decisions down into coherent utilitarian choices, but that does not mean we are not making the choice that we think maximizes our happiness, a/k/a our utility. That's what everything boils down to; there is no way around it. And, therefore, a hard choice--where utility now (national title) comes at the cost of utility later (lack of future success)--doesn't disprove utilitarianism, in my view. How else are we supposed to make, or talk about, these types of decisions?

Date: February 05, 2019 08:47AM

BearLover
That's what everything boils down to; there is no way around it. And, therefore, a hard choice--where utility now (national title) comes at the cost of utility later (lack of future success)--doesn't disprove utilitarianism, in my view. How else are we supposed to make, or talk about, these types of decisions?

No. You're retconning behavior to match a model of utility that makes you feel in control. In reality you're almost never making utility comparisons unless they are very, very explicit: "Do I want that necklace enough to risk prison stealing it?" There is no little man inside the brain making subconscious choices. Your rational mind is just along for the ride. You have already reached for the slice of cake. Finding that the fatness shame variable happened to come out less than the desire variable was a bit of slapdash math you invented later to make sense of it.

But even though utilitarianism is stupid because of the above, I'm talking about a different way in which utilitarianism is stupid, and that's the comparison of "Happiness Volumes" the hypothetical posits: a fairly steady Happiness of 8 across 10 years for 80 hy vs a 1st quadrant hyperbola with a left marginal max of something unknown but approaching infinity dropping back to nearly zero for the remainder of the ten year interval for x hy. Solve for x.

That's an extremely clever way to mischaracterize happiness in order to try to rationalize choices. But it's wrong.

Here's a simple example: cut your own baby's throat or nuke Paris. Pick. It should be simple: one baby unit times your weighted caring coefficient for that baby vs lots and lots of babies (and others) with a complex function of the weighting coefficients of various types of strangers.

Do you want to answer that based on utilitarian calculus, or do you join me in my answer: "blow me."
Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2019 03:21PM by Trotsky.

Date: February 05, 2019 09:00AM

TOI was mentioned in another thread (wait... by me!) and that reminded me that Vanderlaan seemed to barely leave the ice during the RPI game. Does anybody actually track player TOI for our games? This is the most detail I've seen so far.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2019 09:01AM by Trotsky.

Date: February 05, 2019 10:49AM

BearLover
But nothing in life comes down to expected value. Everything comes down to expected utility, even if we may not consciously make decisions in those terms. When we decide how much water to drink, we don't run an expected value calculation in our head to maximize water consumed, or health benefits, or anything else. We instead, on an instinctive/intuitive level, make the choice that we perceive will maximize our utility: how much water should I drink to make me happiest in this moment? That is to say, we may struggle to break our decisions down into coherent utilitarian choices, but that does not mean we are not making the choice that we think maximizes our happiness, a/k/a our utility. That's what everything boils down to; there is no way around it. And, therefore, a hard choice--where utility now (national title) comes at the cost of utility later (lack of future success)--doesn't disprove utilitarianism, in my view. How else are we supposed to make, or talk about, these types of decisions?

Behavioral Economics finds people don't really make decisions this way. Even the examples being debated in this discussion are devoid of probabilistic risk. Within mainstream economics, the work of Tversky and Kahneman is begrudgingly accepted as successfully undermining the theory of rational choice. If one now includes heterodox economic critics, the "rational" model of decision-making can be seen as utter nonsense. For example, Lee and Keen (2004: 175-176) estimate that a supermarket shopping trip in which a budget-constrained consumer follows the mainstream, "rational" decision model to choose among 30 products in quantities ranging from 0 to 10 would take 5.5313 years to decide on what mix of products to buy.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2019 11:01AM by Swampy.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (32.210.48.---)
Date: February 05, 2019 11:22AM

Swampy
BearLover

Behavioral Economics finds people don't really make decisions this way. Even the examples being debated in this discussion are devoid of probabilistic risk. Within mainstream economics, the work of Tversky and Kahneman is begrudgingly accepted as successfully undermining the theory of rational choice. If one now includes heterodox economic critics, the "rational" model of decision-making can be seen as utter nonsense. For example, Lee and Keen (2004: 175-176) estimate that a supermarket shopping trip in which a consumer follows the mainstream, "rational" decision model to choose among 30 products in quantities ranging from 0 to 10 would take 5.5313 years to decide on what mix of products to buy.

To my eye, Bearlover has conflated happiness and utility unproductively. Rather than a disagreement, I see you two circling around the same idea.

Humans build heuristics not to maximize happiness/utility [Bearlover's conflation]; rather, they build heuristics because they think by doing so they can maximize utility without having to sacrifice the time necessary to break every moment of existence down to a rational choice, a time-wasting activity that makes normal people (not me! surely) deeply unhappy. The heuristics turn into black boxes, and humans keep bumbling along with those black boxes because few want to do the hard work of creating new ones and/or the problems those heuristics gloss are fantastically complex and not remotely solvable by rational means. I think Bearlover might be going wrong in thinking that most of these black boxes were ever based on utility in the first place.

Heuristics, to my mind, are as much objects of psychology as they are objects of economics; indeed, some of the heuristics most deeply inscribed in culture are matters of faith and irrationality. Strangely enough, not all of them are wrong, even though most economists, yoked as they are to rational choice, believe that they are… mostly as an article of faith.

PS I love how far this game thread has wandered.
PPS Anyone who follows Cornell hockey as fervently as most of us do here is likely to have an unusual take on rational choice.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2019 11:25AM by Scersk '97.

Date: February 05, 2019 11:28AM

Scersk '97
Swampy
BearLover

Behavioral Economics finds people don't really make decisions this way. Even the examples being debated in this discussion are devoid of probabilistic risk. Within mainstream economics, the work of Tversky and Kahneman is begrudgingly accepted as successfully undermining the theory of rational choice. If one now includes heterodox economic critics, the "rational" model of decision-making can be seen as utter nonsense. For example, Lee and Keen (2004: 175-176) estimate that a supermarket shopping trip in which a consumer follows the mainstream, "rational" decision model to choose among 30 products in quantities ranging from 0 to 10 would take 5.5313 years to decide on what mix of products to buy.

To my eye, Bearlover has conflated happiness and utility unproductively. Rather than a disagreement, I see you two circling around the same idea.

Humans build heuristics not to maximize happiness/utility [Bearlover's conflation]; rather, they build heuristics because they think by doing so they can maximize utility without having to sacrifice the time necessary to break every moment of existence down to a rational choice, a time-wasting activity that makes normal people (not me! surely) deeply unhappy. The heuristics turn into black boxes, and humans keep bumbling along with those black boxes because few want to do the hard work of creating new ones and/or the problems those heuristics gloss are fantastically complex and not remotely solvable by rational means. I think Bearlover might be going wrong in thinking that most of these black boxes were ever based on utility in the first place.

Indeed, heuristics, to my mind, are as much objects of psychology as they are objects of economics; indeed, some of the heuristics most deeply inscribed in culture are matters of faith and irrationality. Strangely enough, not all of them are wrong, even though most economists, yoked as they are to rational choice, believe that they are… mostly as an article of faith.

PS I love how far this game thread has wandered.
PPS Anyone who follows Cornell hockey as fervently as most of us do here is likely to have an unusual take on rational choice.

I mostly agree with you, and in my comment I was just mentioning some telling criticisms of rational choice. To your comment, I would simply add that heuristics are likely to be socially & societally constructed and influenced.

Certainly this forum is a prime example of the social influences on our decisions of how to spend our time.

Date: February 05, 2019 11:33AM

Jim Hyla
marty
Chris 02

Correct. I talked to someone connected to the band, but not in it and their comment was that the band was quite upset with what happenned at Union. They felt that it was one reason for not making the trip. Another was money, that I believe was the main reason they didn't go to Colgate. If enough people had signed up for the CHA bus to Colgate, then they would have gone on that bus. Since the CHA couldn't find enough fans to fund their bus, the band stayed home.

Furthermore, there has been significant visiting band disrespect at RPI in the past few years as well. Without going in to details... it makes sense for us to make the North Country and Yale / Brown trips instead. We usually get respect at those rinks.

Date: February 05, 2019 11:36AM

Swampy
Certainly this forum is a prime example of the social influences on our decisions of how to spend our time.
And how little rational choice plays into them.

Posted by: BearLover (---.sub-174-203-22.myvzw.com)
Date: February 05, 2019 11:38AM

Swampy
BearLover

Let me be clear: I absolutely do not mean to suggest that humans are rational or good at maximizing their long-term happiness. But humans being irrational doesn't really have much to do with my point.

I do not have much of a background in philosophy (as may be evident from my posts here), but I do have a background in a number of the social sciences, including behavioral economics. And I simply haven't seen an argument put forth here that there exists a better unit than utility ("utiles";) to map out human behavior.

Again, I do not posit that humans are in control of their decision-making. And I am well aware that humans exhibit extremely time-inconsistent preferences across many spaces, including, I would assume, when faced with the choice between a national championship now and sustained success later. But these limitations on rational choice theory can be accounted for within a utilitarian framework; they do not disprove such a framework. That's why behavioral economics still maps out decision-making in terms of utility.

As to Trotsky's original point, making an extremely difficult choice ("do you shoot the baby with the bomb?";) goes to a different aspect of utilitarianism. What I discuss above is the positive "modeling human behavior" piece of it. I think Trotsky is getting at the normative piece of utilitarianism--not a description of the world, but rather a prescription of how to act ("do we shoot the baby?";). In this case, the question isn't "can we describe human behavior in a better way than through a utilitarian framework," but rather "is there a better framework than maximizing utility by which to make this choice?" And again I don't think a better framework exists, with some caveats.

According to my rudimentary understanding of philosophy, the alternative to Mill would be a Kantian rights-based framework with universal duties/rules (eg. "You shall not take the life of a living thing";). Here, the man with the gun, who is deciding whether to shoot the baby to save the city, can follow this rule. But what if that rule comes into conflict with other universal rules, or even the same rule? (All the other people in the city would die if you don't shoot the baby!) That is to say, even a rights-based alternative to utilitarianism would fail to help us solve such a problem.

It is true that when taken to an extreme, utilitarianism fails and we resort to Kantian universal rules to guide us. For instance, almost no one would kill someone next to us to save two people on a remote island whom we will never meet. But under an extreme in the other direction, such as a case where we could kill one person to save the rest of humanity, a rights-based framework would fail and we would resort to utilitarianism to guide us.

There simply is no perfect framework by which to answer questions such as these, but on easier, everyday questions, I try to maximize the utility of everyone around me (with the exception of on ELynah, where I act like a nuisance). So my final answer:
1. Map out human behavior in the social sciences according to utility.
2. Live your life according to your own system of values, which should heavily weight your own happiness (utility) and the happiness (utility) of others.
3. When a governing body is implementing laws, it should attempt to maximize utility, balanced, within reason, against maintaining liberty (some proper level of paternalism). This is another prong of this discussion that probably isn't worth getting into now.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2019 11:51AM by BearLover.

Posted by: BearLover (---.sub-174-203-22.myvzw.com)
Date: February 05, 2019 11:41AM

To make matters worse, several of my closed-parens appear as winky faces.

Date: February 05, 2019 12:09PM

BearLover
To make matters worse, several of my closed-parens appear as winky faces.
Whoever greenlighted double quote plus close paren as a wink emoticon ";) was not a grammarian. I get those all the time, too, which is one reason almost all my posts have edits.
Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2019 12:11PM by Trotsky.

Date: February 05, 2019 01:47PM

kevdog8
Furthermore, there has been significant visiting band disrespect at RPI in the past few years as well. Without going in to details... it makes sense for us to make the North Country and Yale / Brown trips instead. We usually get respect at those rinks.

To comment on this other thread of the thread, what bothers me is how the band seems to respond to visiting band disrespect with disengagement instead of confrontation, whether direct during the abuse or somewhat indirect after the fact. The current band seems to view all these indignities as just the way things are, rather than, as many of us fossils have told any of them that will listen, the way things were not and, partially, the way they have allowed things to become. "Back in my day," if someone had told us not to play, we would've generally instituted a reign of (clean) mayhem, disrupting anything and everything rink staff tried to do, partially to make our displeasure known and partially because it's enormously fun. These days, the band seems mostly happy to participate jovially in whatever nonsense takes the place of what should be its playing time. This bothers me, to say the least. If they're not going to play or, worse, are willing to sit on their hands, why send them at all?

No doubt, the band receives little support from the current athletics administration. Some of that is due to Andy et al. being Andy et al., but some of it is also due to the band not understanding how to document disrespect, to respond properly at the time, and to wade through official channels in order to urge some sort of response on the part of Athletics.

What response should there be? You disrespect our band by not allowing them to play? Reciprocal oppression should your "band" show up at a game. Official protests to Hagwell from Athletics. At the extreme, docking the visiting tickets allotment.

All this nonsense is so much anti-student, corporate-college bullshit. My worry is that, if the current students don't start standing up for themselves, some Cornell athletics mouth-breather will try to make our wonderful the way things should be look and sound more like the way things are.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2019 01:51PM by Scersk '97.

Date: February 05, 2019 02:36PM

BearLover,

I'm not really sure how to understand your post (not the one about winky faces).

On one hand you say Trotsky is talking about normative utilitarianism, while you are talking about positive utilitarianism. But then you go on to say you "don't think a better framework exists" as a normative to guide decision-making.

Besides several other issues, this presupposes normative vs positive is a meaningful distinction. It reminds me of the title of an article by Andrew Sayer, "Defensible Values in Geography: Can Values be Science Free?" I find his argument compelling: values necessarily presuppose positive understandings, and positive understandings necessarily involve values (e.g. "truth," "rigor," etc.). In other words, normative & positive are two sides of the same coin, so it's no wonder that attempts to separate them wind up obscuring borders.

At the end of the day, and presuming we can positively or normatively analyze society using utility without also taking into account institutions, power relations, historical path-dependence, social conflict, etc., does utility really add anything to our positive understanding that's better than attributing what happens to "God's will"? Does it offer any practical normative guidance that's better than, say, asking, "What would Superman do"? (Or for "Superman" fill in your favorite superhero).

But getting back to hockey and what people would prefer, there can be no right or wrong answer. By definition, the terms of a Faustian bargain can never be spelled out completely. And if we decided, e.g., we want a NC this year even if it means a 20-year drought will follow, who's to say that in 5 or 10 years we would feel the same way (i.e., that our utilities might not have changed or that we'd become different people)?

I hope to see Cornell win another NC before I die. And I'm in really good health, so for now I'm OK with being patient. But a diagnosis of cancer would make me much more impatient.

Date: February 05, 2019 03:58PM

kevdog8
Jim Hyla
marty
Chris 02

If I may ask, is this disrespect by the RPI band, the HFH staff, or the RPI fans?

Date: February 05, 2019 04:01PM

The only disrespect I ever experienced at Houston was from their rink staff, who were the type of Jonathan Banks ex-felon who hands you the shoes at the bowling alley. The bandies were always friendly and funny as fuck, and the fans were docile, elderly, and sparse.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2019 04:02PM by Trotsky.

Cry Bennett
Date: February 05, 2019 04:44PM

Bite your lip! Truncated post-game pout.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2019 07:31PM by marty.

Posted by: French Rage (---.mediazone.com)
Date: February 05, 2019 04:46PM

I just wanted to diss RPI, and it becomes a philosophy class.

Posted by: osorojo (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 05, 2019 04:59PM

Once Cornell hockey fans assumed an Ivy League Championship for Cornell Men's hockey, expected Cornell to win the regionals, and had legitimate hopes for a national championship. We old-timers remember this well. My, how times have changed.

Date: February 05, 2019 05:12PM

Scersk '97
kevdog8

To comment on this other thread of the thread, what bothers me is how the band seems to respond to visiting band disrespect with disengagement instead of confrontation, whether direct during the abuse or somewhat indirect after the fact. The current band seems to view all these indignities as just the way things are, rather than, as many of us fossils have told any of them that will listen, the way things were not and, partially, the way they have allowed things to become. "Back in my day," if someone had told us not to play, we would've generally instituted a reign of (clean) mayhem, disrupting anything and everything rink staff tried to do, partially to make our displeasure known and partially because it's enormously fun.

I couldn't disagree more. The band president was an honorable and polite representative of our school facing a prick who would have thrown them out of their crappy little excuse of a rink if they had displayed the type of guerrilla tactics that you espouse.

It ain't the effin' 70's (or apparently 1997??twak)and not all the students are as bone headed as we were back then.

Just who would it benefit if they had been escorted out that night (or suffered some other reprisal)? That little Napolean they dealt with in his tattered maroon blazer had issues. Their coach has issues. I assume their AD has issues. They lied when they responded to Jim's letter protesting what happened.

The band had to deal with the bores at Union. I'm glad they did it with class.

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: February 05, 2019 05:31PM

Trotsky
... the fans were docile, elderly, and sparse.

Hey! That sounds like Marty! (And, me.)worry

Date: February 05, 2019 06:54PM

TimV
Trotsky

My hair is sparser than yours!

Date: February 05, 2019 07:58PM

marty
Scersk '97
kevdog8

To comment on this other thread of the thread, what bothers me is how the band seems to respond to visiting band disrespect with disengagement instead of confrontation, whether direct during the abuse or somewhat indirect after the fact. The current band seems to view all these indignities as just the way things are, rather than, as many of us fossils have told any of them that will listen, the way things were not and, partially, the way they have allowed things to become. "Back in my day," if someone had told us not to play, we would've generally instituted a reign of (clean) mayhem, disrupting anything and everything rink staff tried to do, partially to make our displeasure known and partially because it's enormously fun.

I couldn't disagree more. The band president was an honorable and polite representative of our school facing a prick who would have thrown them out of their crappy little excuse of a rink if they had displayed the type of guerrilla tactics that you espouse.

It ain't the effin' 70's (or apparently 1997??twak)and not all the students are as bone headed as we were back then.

Just who would it benefit if they had been escorted out that night (or suffered some other reprisal)? That little Napolean they dealt with in his tattered maroon blazer had issues. Their coach has issues. I assume their AD has issues. They lied when they responded to Jim's letter protesting what happened.

The band had to deal with the bores at Union. I'm glad they did it with class.

The band president (the head manager) is supposed to do exactly that: generally, to smooth over things with rink staff so that the band can continue doing whatever it normally does. Yet, if the band is prevented from performing, the band manager should protest strenuously while the band goes on doing what it does for as long as they can get away with it.

Class is overrated; in this context, it's a ridiculous standard. After all, it's not a chess match; it's a hockey game. The job of the band is to do nearly anything to give our team an advantage, chiefly through making noise. Sitting on their hands at the behest of petty mandarins is not, as far as I'm concerned, part of the job description.

If the opposition is going to lie about what happened, what possible effect do you think our fine, gentlemanly conduct is going to have? If our band got thrown out for cheering their heads off or, for example, playing our fight song at the appropriate time rather than when rink staff tries to dictate like at Quinnipiac, I'd be damn proud of them. If good clean disobedience gets them "banned" from a few rinks around the league, then so be it. Creating a stink is sometimes worth it.

If you're not going to make the trip because they're hostile or whatever, you've given in. And, anyway, if you're not coming back, you might as well leave with a bang and not a whimper.

PS A perfect example of why not backing down is important.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2019 08:47PM by Scersk '97.

Date: February 06, 2019 08:27AM

TimV
Trotsky

And me. That's the joke.

Date: February 06, 2019 03:54PM

ursusminor
If I may ask, is this disrespect by the RPI band, the HFH staff, or the RPI fans?
On this occasion (Spring '18) it was started by the RPI band and continued by HFH staff. We have had past issues with HFH staff before. I'll never forget the year they moved an entire 30-person band five seats to the left because someone complained we were making too much noise. I'm sorry, ma'am, but we traveled 3+ hours to make a lot of noise...

Posted by: cufan (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 06, 2019 09:09PM

Earlier a poster talked about "Peter Gunn" and the need for a "kickin'" horn section.

If I my regress 50 years kickin horns - is a kickin horn section

But I digress.

Date: February 06, 2019 11:24PM

cufan
Earlier a poster talked about "Peter Gunn" and the need for a "kickin'" horn section.

If I my regress 50 years kickin horns - is a kickin horn section

But I digress.

To follow it up, how to do soul without any horns at all.

Date: February 07, 2019 06:47AM

kevdog8
ursusminor
On this occasion (Spring '18) it was started by the RPI band and continued by HFH staff. We have had past issues with HFH staff before. I'll never forget the year they moved an entire 30-person band five seats to the left because someone complained we were making too much noise. I'm sorry, ma'am, but we traveled 3+ hours to make a lot of noise...

Thanks, I was just curious. It is hard to believe that 5 seats makes that much difference unless the person was sitting right next to the band. (Yes, I realize that sound decreases as an inverse square not counting reflections, absorption, etc.) I am still bummed that the RPI band is no longer at the east end of the HFH.

Posted by: marty (161.11.160.---)
Date: February 07, 2019 08:05AM

ursusminor
kevdog8
ursusminor

Thanks, I was just curious. It is hard to believe that 5 seats makes that much difference unless the person was sitting right next to the band. (Yes, I realize that sound decreases as an inverse square not counting reflections, absorption, etc.) I am still bummed that the RPI band is no longer at the east end of the HFH.

As you know the east end is now dominated by "the place where the stage used to be". The architect of this feature is no doubt related to the designer of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge - reputedly an RPI grad. This is not to be confused with the west end "Throne and Corral"© which is used to amuse the Queen and allow her to hover over her crumb munching minions. Nor is it to be confused with the defunct "Patroon Room" which apparantly priced itself out of existence. It's sad that season ticket sales are down but the row behind us seems to have at least a half dozen empty seats for all the games. It wasn't so just a year ago.

Kudos for a better snack bar experience but otherwise the place's face lift was underwhelming. And the hockey is getting better with Dave Smith as the classiest RPI coach since Buddy Powers.

Date: February 07, 2019 09:07AM

marty
ursusminor
kevdog8
ursusminor

As you know the east end is now dominated by "the place where the stage used to be". The architect of this feature is no doubt related to the designer of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge - reputedly an RPI grad. This is not to be confused with the west end "Throne and Corral"© which is used to amuse the Queen and allow her to hover over her crumb munching minions. Nor is it to be confused with the defunct "Patroon Room" which apparantly priced itself out of existence. It's sad that season ticket sales are down but the row behind us seems to have at least a half dozen empty seats for all the games. It wasn't so just a year ago.

Kudos for a better snack bar experience but otherwise the place's face lift was underwhelming. And the hockey is getting better with Dave Smith as the classiest RPI coach since Buddy Powers.

If the designer of the original Tacoma Narrows Bridge was not an RPI grad, then RPI has not done much to dispel that rumor. Indeed I first learned about that in Freshman physics.

"Classiest since Buddy Powers" doesn't include too many coaches. :-D
Edit: I strongly suspect that a similar statement could be made about the next Union coach. ;-)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2019 09:24AM by ursusminor.

Date: February 07, 2019 09:47AM

The architects engineers of the original TNB were Leon Moisseiff (Columbia), Clark Eldridge (Washington State), and Burt Farquharson (U. of Washington). The latter shot the iconic film of the collapse.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2019 12:32PM by Trotsky.

Date: February 07, 2019 10:10AM

Trotsky
The architects of the original TNB were Leon Moisseiff (Columbia), Clark Eldridge (Washington State), and Burt Farquharson (U. of Washington). The latter shot the iconic film of the collapse.

Were they architects or engineers? Big difference.

Date: February 07, 2019 12:32PM

Swampy
Trotsky
The architects of the original TNB were Leon Moisseiff (Columbia), Clark Eldridge (Washington State), and Burt Farquharson (U. of Washington). The latter shot the iconic film of the collapse.

My bad. Engineers. Fixed above.

Date: February 07, 2019 12:40PM

Trotsky
Swampy
Trotsky

My bad. Engineers. Fixed above.

Oh, that makes it even worse! Thanks.

BTW, my first week at Cornell, in what I think was called Engineering 101, we watched Burt's famous video.

Posted by: marty (161.11.160.---)
Date: February 07, 2019 01:07PM

ursusminor

"Classiest since Buddy Powers" doesn't include too many coaches. :-D
;-)

Depends on how you count, I need all my fingers and toes to count the years, yet for the coach count both my teeth will suffice.

Date: February 07, 2019 03:39PM

Trotsky
The architects engineers of the original TNB were Leon Moisseiff (Columbia), Clark Eldridge (Washington State), and Burt Farquharson (U. of Washington). The latter shot the iconic film of the collapse.

I wonder who was the RPI grad. I don't recall the name which I heard years ago. I guess it could be fake news.

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.ipyx-102276-zyo.zip.zayo.com)
Date: February 07, 2019 04:27PM

ursusminor
Trotsky

I wonder who was the RPI grad. I don't recall the name which I heard years ago. I guess it could be fake news.
Or they could all have multiple degrees.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: February 13, 2019 10:52AM

For what it's worth, I would happily spend the next ten years slightly dehydrated if it meant Cornell would win the 2019 NC.

That was the question, right?

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: toddlose (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 13, 2019 07:26PM

Beeeej
For what it's worth, I would happily spend the next ten years slightly dehydrated if it meant Cornell would win the 2019 NC.

That was the question, right?

Haha. That was the question. I was going to answer it as well. Unfortunately, I wouldn’t be willing to give up personal well being. I would take a prolongated absence from the ncaa tournament as punishment for NC this year however. 5ish years. No longer than 10 (I’m getting old).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login