Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Opponents News

Posted by Trotsky 
Page:  1 234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Opponents News
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 04, 2016 07:01PM

Welp, this is interesting.

WENY-TV is reporting that a jury found Michael Beard guilty on 1 count of first degree murder and two counts of 2nd degree murder. The jury resumed deliberations late Friday morning, and asked to hear the testimony regarding D-N-A evidence again, along with the definition of the charges Michael Beard faced.

The prosecution alleged that Kelley’s husband, Thomas Clayton, a former professional hockey player, hired Beard to kill Kelley and burn the house down.

According to Elite Prospects, Clayton played for Niagara in the 1999-2002 seasons, during which we played them 4 times. And, in fact, he got an assist against us in this game.

So, we have played at least one guy who put out a contract.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2016 07:09PM by Trotsky.

Re: Opponents News
Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 05, 2016 01:08PM

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 22, 2016 07:04PM

Our Saturday foe is playing RPI tonight with free video on Youtube.

Check UNH Athletics Live.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 23, 2016 02:57AM

marty

Hopefully no one watched that.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 23, 2016 07:58AM

ursusminor
marty

So, how hot is Appert's seat?

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 23, 2016 08:44AM

ursusminor
marty
More intriguing than the 5-0 score in favor of UNH, the box score claims 3,020 attended (Whittemore Center capacity is 6,501). That is a faithful following of townspeople. It was also New Hampshire's 13th game.

Date: November 23, 2016 12:38PM

scoop85
ursusminor
marty

IIRC, his contract goes until 2021. I doubt that the school wants to eat that.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 23, 2016 05:10PM

ursusminor
scoop85
ursusminor
marty

IIRC, his contract goes until 2021. I doubt that the school wants to eat that.

That's quite a commitment for a coach who hasn't been able to move the program into the top echelon of the ECAC after a number of years

Date: November 25, 2016 05:57PM

Q and SLU play to a scoreless tie in Ireland.

Date: November 25, 2016 06:29PM

Trotsky
Q and SLU play to a scoreless tie in Ireland.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 25, 2016 08:01PM

Kyle Hayton is a very good goaltender. It's really something that SLU hasn't been able to make it to the NCAA's within the last two years.

Date: November 26, 2016 08:37AM

What the hell?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2016 08:40AM by Trotsky.

Date: November 26, 2016 09:43AM

Princeton finally decided to play 60 minutes, and look what happened. Their beating high-ranked opponents is actually a good thing down the stretch in terms of strength-of-schedule.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: November 26, 2016 10:47AM

Iceberg
Princeton finally decided to play 60 minutes, and look what happened. Their beating high-ranked opponents is actually a good thing down the stretch in terms of strength-of-schedule.

Not that I would suggest Princeton's win over Bemidji is solely responsible, but Cornell is up from 37th to 30th in the Pairwise after going 1-1 last weekend, which does suggest external factors.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: November 26, 2016 11:11AM

Beeeej
Iceberg

Not that I would suggest Princeton's win over Bemidji is solely responsible, but Cornell is up from 37th to 30th in the Pairwise after going 1-1 last weekend, which does suggest external factors.
I checked Friday morning and they were still 37. I think it might really have been responsible. Yale tying Clarkson probably didn't hurt either.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2016 11:12AM by Trotsky.

Date: November 26, 2016 09:46PM

Clarkson won and Princeton is leading Bemidji going into the third. This could be a very favorable weekend as far as Cornell is concerned.

Posted by: BearLover (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: December 02, 2016 09:52PM

Was scrolling thru the standings and came upon something strange: do the NCHC/WCHA award 3 points for a win and 1 for a tie?

Standings: [www.uscho.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2016 09:54PM by BearLover.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2016 10:20PM

BearLover
Was scrolling thru the standings and came upon something strange: do the NCHC/WCHA award 3 points for a win and 1 for a tie?

I believe they awarded extra points for the shootout winner (yes, they use shootouts in those leagues cuss)

Date: December 02, 2016 10:22PM

BearLover

They have a shootout if tied in OT. In such a case the points are 2 for the shootout winner and 1 for the loser. The shootout only counts for the league not the NCAA>

Posted by: dbilmes (32.218.123.---)
Date: December 03, 2016 07:13AM

Anyone else notice that Q had 51 shots on goal Friday night?

Date: December 03, 2016 07:33AM

Shame the Beanpot is scheduled for so late this year. This would be a hell of an interesting backdrop for it, bringing a ton of real meaning to the tourney, but the situation won't last until mid-February.

5t Harvard 54 7-2-1
5t Boston College 54 12-4-1
5t Boston University 54 8-4-1
30 Northeastern 30 5-6-4

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: December 03, 2016 07:58AM

Beeeej
Shame the Beanpot is scheduled for so late this year. This would be a hell of an interesting backdrop for it, bringing a ton of real meaning to the tourney, but the situation won't last until mid-February.

5t Harvard 54 7-2-1
5t Boston College 54 12-4-1
5t Boston University 54 8-4-1
30 Northeastern 30 5-6-4
Harvard's consolation game could be very important for them.

Date: December 03, 2016 08:06AM

Guy Gadowsky does not suck as a coach.

Date: December 03, 2016 08:14AM

Trotsky

That's an impressive record, until you look at the opponents. Notre Dame's the only surprise, as far as I'm concerned. Even Michigan isn't blue-chip this year. Most of Penn State's schedule so far is comprised of sub-#50 teams in the Pairwise.

Not that we've beaten any great teams either, but I also don't see anybody especially praising Mike.

Anyway, I suspect Penn State will have a serious regression to the mean in January and February.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2016 08:40AM

Beeeej
Trotsky

That's an impressive record, until you look at the opponents. Notre Dame's the only surprise, as far as I'm concerned. Even Michigan isn't blue-chip this year. Most of Penn State's schedule so far is comprised of sub-#50 teams in the Pairwise.

Not that we've beaten any great teams either, but I also don't see anybody especially praising Mike.

Anyway, I suspect Penn State will have a serious regression to the mean in January and February.

I agree they will likely regress, but having watched some of their games, they do look like the real thing. That doesn't mean they'll win it all, but I suspect they'll be playing well into the playoffs.

Date: December 03, 2016 11:17AM

dbilmes

Credit to Cam Hackett for allowing four goals, three on the power play and detention time for the RPI D.

Date: December 03, 2016 03:16PM

Jim Hyla
Beeeej
Trotsky

I agree they will likely regress, but having watched some of their games, they do look like the real thing. That doesn't mean they'll win it all, but I suspect they'll be playing well into the playoffs.
They've outscored opponents 73-28.

Date: December 03, 2016 04:10PM

BearLover
Jim Hyla
Beeeej
Trotsky

And that contradicts in what way the assertion that the opponents they've outscored are, by and large, exceptionally weak?

- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2016 04:12PM by Beeeej.

Posted by: css228 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 03, 2016 04:14PM

Beeeej
Trotsky

I wouldn't bet on it. They're one of, if not the best, play driving teams in the country. And they've basically been impervious to score effects. Good teams beat up on bad teams, and PSU certainly has done that. Now I'm not saying they'll remain 13-1-1 pace, but they're going to compete for the Big 10 title.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2016 04:18PM by css228.

Date: December 03, 2016 04:25PM

Beeeej
BearLover
Jim Hyla
Beeeej
Trotsky

And that contradicts in what way the assertion that the opponents they've outscored are, by and large, exceptionally weak?
Wasn't trying to contradict what you said, just adding to the convo. But on that point, blowing out everybody is the sign of a great team, even if the opposition is weak. The scores in those games are frankly absurd.

Date: December 03, 2016 05:59PM

BearLover
blowing out everybody is the sign of a great team, even if the opposition is weak.

[www.tbrw.info]

Date: December 03, 2016 11:10PM

dbilmes

Q had 54 shots tonight in their loss to Union. yark

Posted by: Iceberg (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: December 09, 2016 08:15PM

RPI's nightmare season continues as they're getting steamrolled in New Haven. At this rate we might see 10 goals by the end of the night.

Posted by: RichH (---.mycingular.net)
Date: December 09, 2016 09:26PM

Iceberg
RPI's nightmare season continues as they're getting steamrolled in New Haven. At this rate we might see 10 goals by the end of the night.

And we did, 7-3 final.

Quinnipiac gets handed their 3rd league loss by...Princeton, those Giant Killers. Rematch in Hamden tomorrow at 4pm.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2016 09:29PM by RichH.

Posted by: Iceberg (172.56.23.---)
Date: December 09, 2016 09:42PM

Princeton winning is the best thing that can happen this weekend. New Hampshire winning tomorrow would also be good for pairwise.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 09, 2016 10:08PM

Princeton has 4 wins and 3 of them over top 10 teams..

Date: December 09, 2016 10:10PM

upprdeck
Princeton has 4 wins and 3 of them over top 10 teams..

The 4th certainly wasn't against a Top 10 team.

Date: December 10, 2016 12:05AM

Iceberg
Princeton winning is the best thing that can happen this weekend. New Hampshire winning tomorrow would also be good for pairwise.
Out of curiosity, why does it help us in the Pairwise when one of our opponents beats another one of our opponents? Happy P won regardless because F Q.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: December 10, 2016 03:10AM

BearLover
Iceberg
Out of curiosity, why does it help us in the Pairwise when one of our opponents beats another one of our opponents? Happy P won regardless because F Q.

In this case, we're in direct competition for an at-large bid with Q. This was an especially convenient example since we just moved up to #15 (tied with UNO) and QU fell past us to #17. So, you're right, in the end this won't change a comparison in our favor, but it hurts a competitor.

It's a long horse race, etc.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 10, 2016 07:48AM

RichH
BearLover
Iceberg

In this case, we're in direct competition for an at-large bid with Q. This was an especially convenient example since we just moved up to #15 (tied with UNO) and QU fell past us to #17. So, you're right, in the end this won't change a comparison in our favor, but it hurts a competitor.

It's a long horse race, etc.

And it narrows the gap in ECAC points in the all important race for home ice/bye. Q has now lost seven points over ten games to Cornell's five over seven.

Date: December 10, 2016 03:50PM

Yale winning both of their next two games would also be nice, but I'm not so sure they're beating BU in that road game on Tuesday.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: December 10, 2016 07:01PM

Now they have another one- USCHO lists this afternoons game at QPac as 4-1 Princeton.banana

Date: December 12, 2016 03:27AM

Penn State has one draft pick on team, a 7th rounder. Of course, most of the other top-ranked teams are loaded with picks. 4 1st-rounders on BU.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.c3-0.smr-ubr2.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com)
Date: December 12, 2016 08:16AM

BearLover
Penn State has one draft pick on team, a 7th rounder.
Sounds like Yale from a few years back: only 1 draft pick, but good coaching and an effective system.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: December 12, 2016 09:31AM

Kyle Rose
Sounds like Yale from a few years back: only 1 draft pick, but good coaching and an effective system.

That Yale team reminded me of a college football team running the option: success predicated on the talent level of the college game and the inability of the defense to deal with it. It can't be run in the pros because there even the linemen and the linebackers run as fast as a good college halfback. So it makes sense that the team can dominate at the college level but the pros don't see potential in the roster.

Date: December 12, 2016 10:41AM

Kyle Rose
BearLover

Also the Union team -- Ghostisphere was the only NHL draft pick on their roster

Posted by: RichH (134.223.116.---)
Date: December 12, 2016 11:20AM

Kyle Rose
BearLover

IIRC, the CU teams that won ECAC titles in '96-97 had 1-2 drafted players while Harvard had around 9-10.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 12, 2016 11:22AM

RichH
Kyle Rose
BearLover

IIRC, the CU teams that won ECAC titles in '96-97 had 1-2 drafted players while Harvard had around 9-10.

I don't have the numbers to back this up, but draft picks tend to be younger. A good 20 year old has more NHL promise than a great 24 year old.

Makes sense that draft picks aren't always the best players.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: December 12, 2016 11:27AM

Trotsky
Kyle Rose

That Yale team reminded me of a college football team running the option: success predicated on the talent level of the college game and the inability of the defense to deal with it. It can't be run in the pros because there even the linemen and the linebackers run as fast as a good college halfback. So it makes sense that the team can dominate at the college level but the pros don't see potential in the roster.
I like this idea of recruiting and coaching to defeat one's opponents. Perhaps we should try it.

Date: December 12, 2016 11:38AM

Kyle Rose
Trotsky
Kyle Rose

I like this idea of recruiting and coaching to defeat one's opponents. Perhaps we should try it.

Man, recruiting sounds really easy!

Date: December 12, 2016 11:54AM

Kyle Rose
Trotsky
Kyle Rose

You've already seen it. The Dream-Crushing Soul-Devouring Juggernaut was predicated on opponents whose offensive output would be driven into the ground faster than the opportunity cost of our style of play would cost us goals. For each goal we would "intentionally" forgo, we could reduce the opponent's score by some x > 1.0 goals.

Our defense-first players were successful against college competition, but they made no sense in the pros where guys who were equally great defensive players were also blue chip stick handlers and playmakers.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2016 11:55AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 12, 2016 01:10PM

RichH
Kyle Rose
Trotsky
Kyle Rose

Man, recruiting sounds really easy!

Yeah it's real easy. Why, look at how well Yale is doing this year. Once you get that recruiting going, it just never stops.upto

Date: December 13, 2016 08:28PM

Speaking of Yale, they're not doing anybody in the conference any favors tonight. 5 goals in 2 periods against BU.

Date: December 14, 2016 07:38AM

Princeton is rolling.

At the time of our game there were quotes from coaches saying they were a lot better than their record, and it wasn't in the Lou Holtz sense. They look dangerous.

Date: December 14, 2016 08:37AM

Trotsky
Princeton is rolling.

At the time of our game there were quotes from coaches saying they were a lot better than their record, and it wasn't in the Lou Holtz sense. They look dangerous.

Quite a turn-around for the Tigers. I was at the Princeton game at Lynah, which was right before Princeton started to win, and although we fell behind we had the clear edge in play. We'll certainly need to play well when we travel to Hobey Baker.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: December 14, 2016 09:22AM

scoop85
Trotsky
Princeton is rolling.

Quite a turn-around for the Tigers. I was at the Princeton game at Lynah, which was right before Princeton started to win, and although we fell behind we had the clear edge in play. We'll certainly need to play well when we travel to Hobey Baker.

We often have a tough time there.

Yet there is another possibility in the above: that Princeton was already playing "better than their record" at Lynah, but that we've also got a pretty good team…

Date: December 14, 2016 09:37AM

Scersk '97
Yet there is another possibility in the above: that Princeton was already playing "better than their record" at Lynah, but that we've also got a pretty good team…

That's why God made January.

This gives me pause.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2016 09:38AM by Trotsky.

Date: December 14, 2016 09:58AM

Scersk '97
scoop85
Trotsky
Princeton is rolling.

We often have a tough time there.

Yeah, I think we have a pretty good team. The biggest difference over the past few years is we have far better balanced scoring throughout the lineup. But our margin for error is still pretty slim, and the ECAC will present some tough challenges in the 2nd half. It's pretty important that we win the Fl. tournament given the opposition, and then beat Merrimack back at their place (which may well be the third game against them if we both take care of business in the first game in Estero).

Date: December 14, 2016 10:55AM

Record through the first 11 games and the rest of the year:

2013 6-3-2 .636  9-13-1 .413
2014 7-3-1 .682 10- 7-4 .571
2015 5-5-1 .500  6- 9-5 .425
2016 8-1-2 .818  8-10-5 .457
2017 7-3-1 .682

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: December 14, 2016 11:24AM

In reply to both of you, the return from break swoon has been a recent bug in the system. I dearly hope this year's team can avoid it.

And the Florida games are often part of that, even in good years. If we can win there and beat Merrimack afterward, we'll have a very strong out-of-conference resumé. (The current RPI and thus PWR are very "win happy," so really it's the pure wins that count, I think, rather than the quality of opposition. There's that quality win fudge, but we won't be partaking in that OOC this year.)

But really I don't care about OOC or Florida (or Merrimack). It's about that second Princeton game this year, starting off the stretch run the right way. As far as I'm concerned, this year is all about the bye.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 14, 2016 12:02PM

Trotsky
Record through the first 11 games and the rest of the year:

2013 6-3-2 .636  9-13-1 .413
2014 7-3-1 .682 10- 7-4 .571
2015 5-5-1 .500  6- 9-5 .425
2016 8-1-2 .818  8-10-5 .457
2017 7-3-1 .682

How much of the above, though, might be due to starting out with a 100% (or close to 100%) healthy team, and then seeing key injuries in the second half of the season? With some luck, this year may see the team healthier in the second half of the season.

Date: December 14, 2016 12:49PM

Scersk '97
In reply to both of you, the return from break swoon has been a recent bug in the system. I dearly hope this year's team can avoid it.

Schafer's post-game comments after the last game mentioned something interesting:

We're going to push really really hard here, and actually keep them after exams for the first time in a long time...and get ready for that second half.

"For the first time in a long time" is the interesting part. We've all sensed the rust coming from past teams after the break. It will be interesting to see if this helps correct the 2nd half swoon. Trotsky is right, though...that January schedule is about as tough a stretch as we've seen.

Additionally, from [cornellsun.com]

Part of this plan includes Schafer keeping his team back in Ithaca after players take their final exams in order to to keep the team in shape with additional practices.

“We’re going to practice hard and make sure we don’t lose a beat,” Weidner said. “It’s something that needs to be done especially jumping right back into it right after Christmas.”

“We’re looking to not take our foot off the gas,” Wedman added, “and hopefully come out of this break just as good as we are now.”

Date: December 14, 2016 01:34PM

Is it possible starting the season later actually gives Cornell a leg up on the competition out of the gate? Fewer injuries/better rested?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2016 01:35PM by BearLover.

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 14, 2016 02:24PM

BearLover
Is it possible starting the season later actually gives Cornell a leg up on the competition out of the gate? Fewer injuries/better rested?

I thought we had a ton of injuries tho...?

Posted by: CU2007 (160.254.108.---)
Date: December 14, 2016 02:31PM

abmarks
BearLover

Think he's referring to the fact that a lot of those guys are expected to be back in the New Year (or maybe by the Florida Tourney)

Date: December 14, 2016 04:20PM

BearLover

No, at least according to my thoughts. But since a number of our injuries were preseason, you could argue that playing fewer games early on means it's not as crucial having everyone available. However that's stretching it.

Date: December 14, 2016 04:35PM

CU2007
abmarks
BearLover

Think he's referring to the fact that a lot of those guys are expected to be back in the New Year (or maybe by the Florida Tourney)
I think he's referring to all seasons, not just this one with the injuries. The idea would be we may lose the sharpening of having a few games under our belt but we also avoid having guys dinged up in October. It's a valid hypothesis, and would explain why we regress in the second two thirds when the schedule evens out. The first thing to check would be whether the other Ivies show the same pattern and/or whether we show it outside the chosen interval.

I doubt it, but it is testable.

My completely subjective and untestable hypothesis is (1) random variation over a SSS, (2) the team doesn't gel as well as its opponents over the course of the season, and (3) in prior years we've had the Prague Spring before Florida followed by Operation Danube afterwards, and the jarring from the crackdown on style has done Bad Things.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2016 04:40PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: BearLover (---.wrls.harvard.edu)
Date: December 14, 2016 05:35PM

Trotsky
CU2007
abmarks
BearLover

I think he's referring to all seasons, not just this one with the injuries. The idea would be we may lose the sharpening of having a few games under our belt but we also avoid having guys dinged up in October. It's a valid hypothesis, and would explain why we regress in the second two thirds when the schedule evens out. The first thing to check would be whether the other Ivies show the same pattern and/or whether we show it outside the chosen interval.

I doubt it, but it is testable.

My completely subjective and untestable hypothesis is (1) random variation over a SSS, (2) the team doesn't gel as well as its opponents over the course of the season, and (3) in prior years we've had the Prague Spring before Florida followed by Operation Danube afterwards, and the jarring from the crackdown on style has done Bad Things.
Yes, I meant over all seasons, not just this one. I also doubt it.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2016 05:36PM by BearLover.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.wireless.albany.edu)
Date: December 15, 2016 12:50PM

The thing with Princeton is that they are a team that can skate well; and they still have two more games coming up this weekend against an OK Mankato team.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2016 12:50PM by Iceberg.

Posted by: css228 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 16, 2016 12:52AM

scoop85
Kyle Rose
BearLover

Also the Union team -- Ghostisphere was the only NHL draft pick on their roster
Yeah but having a future should-have-been Calder winner on you team (also should have won the Hobey) is more than enough to make up for a lack of draft picks.

Date: December 16, 2016 12:56AM

Kyle Rose
BearLover
Yale was also very lucky to win it all, getting in as the last at-large. There are enough more 15-draft pick North Dakotas than 1-draft pick Yales to conclude that draft picks are highly correlated with team success.

Date: December 16, 2016 10:53AM

BearLover
Yale was also very lucky to win it all, getting in as the last at-large.

Not only that, but they were out and then Michigan saved them.

Date: December 16, 2016 08:17PM

Princeton 5-0 up on Mankato and the 2nd period isn't even over. The WCHA is kind of weak this year, but this is some scary stuff and I wonder if they'll be the same team after the break.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2016 08:18PM by Iceberg.

Posted by: Swampy (---.lightspeed.sntcca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 17, 2016 02:23AM

Iceberg
Princeton 5-0 up on Mankato and the 2nd period isn't even over. The WCHA is kind of weak this year, but this is some scary stuff and I wonder if they'll be the same team after the break.

Maybe they got some players back from injury. Anybody know?

Date: December 17, 2016 05:57AM

Swampy
Iceberg

Maybe they got some players back from injury. Anybody know?
Don't think so, but before our game with them the general consensus was coaches around the conference were saying they were a much more dangerous team than their record.

They were right.

Current Unbeaten Streak:          W- L- T      Games
    Penn State                   12- 0- 1         13
    Cornell                       5- 0- 0          5
    Princeton                     5- 0- 0          5
    Union                         4- 0- 0          4

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2016 05:59AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: RichH (107.77.76.---)
Date: December 17, 2016 11:22AM

Iceberg

Good article from CHN this week: [www.collegehockeynews.com]

Date: December 17, 2016 09:00PM

Union really taking it to Vermont. 6-2 now with less than 10 minutes to go. That first line is the best in the country.

Date: December 18, 2016 04:25PM

Iceberg
Union really taking it to Vermont. 6-2 now with less than 10 minutes to go. That first line is the best in the country.

The second game of the set is streaming for free this afternoon.

[www.nsnsports.net]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2016 04:26PM by marty.

Date: December 18, 2016 06:08PM

marty
Iceberg

[www.nsnsports.net]

Thanks, Union wins 2-1 on a late goal.

Date: December 18, 2016 08:22PM

Jim Hyla
marty
Iceberg

[www.nsnsports.net]

Thanks, Union wins 2-1 on a late goal.

Which moved Union to 5 on the pairwise, Vermont to 16 and Cornell to 14. Vermont couldn't get the puck past Sakellaropoulos. They outplayed Union for most of the game to no avail.

Date: December 20, 2016 03:22PM

OK. That's a power outage.

Date: December 20, 2016 04:26PM

Trotsky

They would've scored more if they hadn't had so many Posts. bolt

Date: December 20, 2016 04:57PM

Trotsky

Just how did you find this.

Date: December 20, 2016 09:34PM

Jim Hyla
Trotsky

Just how did you find this.
Drunkard's walk through the internet, as usual.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.cws.sco.cisco.com)
Date: December 21, 2016 05:18PM

marty
Trotsky

They would've scored more if they hadn't had so many Posts. bolt

You can't hit the Posts...no checking in women's hockey dribble.

Date: December 31, 2016 09:21AM

Brown and Arizona State played a vintage 1979 game last night.

Date: December 31, 2016 04:42PM

The team formerly known as Sioux are at Union and live on TW Cable at this moment. Currently the visitors are ahead 1-0 late in the first.

I think this is the first Capital District hockey game that TW-Spectrum has broadcast this season.

Date: December 31, 2016 06:34PM

ND wins after a fun end of game flurry with an extra attacker goal making it 2-1, followed by a truly lucky bounce off the boards from the ND zone that trickled into the Union net just ahead of a frantic J. C. Brassard.

ND can now celebrate the new year in Schenectady!?$@#?!

drunk

Date: December 31, 2016 06:36PM

marty
ND wins after a fun end of game flurry with an extra attacker goal making it 2-1, followed by a truly lucky bounce off the boards from the ND zone that trickled into the Union net just ahead of a frantic J. C. Brassard.

drunk

P.S. A truly sold out Messa Rink with a deep SRO crowd surprised me. But classes start on the 3rd which surely helped with the attendance.
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2017 11:41AM by marty.

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 01, 2017 09:09AM

Trotsky
Brown and Arizona State played a vintage 1979 game last night.

I didn't know they played 3x3 overtime in 1979 yark

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 01, 2017 03:39PM

marty
marty

drunk

P.S. A truly sold out Messa Rink with a deep SRO crowd surprised me. But classes start on the 3rd which surely helped with the attendance.

I was at that game- full house it was, but I didn't see much of a student presence, seemed to be almost entirely locals. There was an impressive UND contingent, they travel well.

I don't think they spent New Years Eve in Sctdy. Game was over about 6:30. If they got right on the bus they would be in NYC by 10 and fly home from there Sunday about noon. I'd do that. banana

Date: January 01, 2017 08:29PM

TimV
marty
marty

drunk

I was at that game- full house it was, but I didn't see much of a student presence, seemed to be almost entirely locals. There was an impressive UND contingent, they travel well.

I don't think they spent New Years Eve in Sctdy. Game was over about 6:30. If they got right on the bus they would be in NYC by 10 and fly home from there Sunday about noon. I'd do that. banana

I wonder how the Union box office sold the student season tickets to the townies. I'm impressed. Kathy Natole, the ticket sales manager is a very hard working woman who once bailed me out when I realized I lost my mailed tickets before one of the games. It seems like it would be a lot of work to transfer student tickets to townies.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2017 08:35PM by marty.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 02, 2017 09:43AM

were the students tickets even part of the their season ticket package? perhaps they gave them a choice to buy it or not in the beginning?

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 02, 2017 08:37PM

marty

I wonder how the Union box office sold the student season tickets to the townies. I'm impressed. Kathy Natole, the ticket sales manager is a very hard working woman who once bailed me out when I realized I lost my mailed tickets before one of the games. It seems like it would be a lot of work to transfer student tickets to townies.

No idea how it was done in this case but I know how UVM handled it back in the 80s- I Might be off on a detail or two per ba memory but the gist of it is correct. Student season tickets did *not really* include games over thanksgiving or Christmas break.

-Students did not buy those games with the season package. Instead, they had first dibs on those tickets. If a student wanted their seats for a break game, they just had to get to the ticket office and buy their specific seats anytime up until about 2 weeks prior to those games.

-At that ~2week prior mark, those seats were put up for sale to the general public.

Certainly as of the early 80s this resulted in sellouts een over break as locals scooped up all the extra tickets.

Date: January 05, 2017 08:56PM

Union up 4-3 in the 3rd at BU, albeit a BU without seven of its best players thanks to the junior tournament.

Edit: BU wins 5-4 in OT.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2017 09:36PM by Iceberg.

Date: January 06, 2017 10:06PM

Tigers puck luck continuing. Leading Duluth 2-1.

On CBS sports as I post.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2017 10:28PM by marty.

Date: January 06, 2017 11:26PM

marty

On CBS sports as I post.

Duluth ties the game with the goalie pulled, OT ends in a tie but the the second OT starts with 4 on 3 play (not 3 on 3) due to a tripping penalty at 3:32 of the first OT. Duluth gets the extra point scoring 18 seconds in.

The announcers explained that if the kill was successful the play would have been 4 on 4 at "full strength" moving to 3 on 3 at the first whistle.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2017 11:42PM by marty.

Date: January 07, 2017 09:49AM

Big controversy at the Q @ H game last night. Pecknold was ejected and got a 2 min "Abuse of Officials" and 10 min Game Misconduct". That was the decisive play, as H scored 3 goals in 44 sec. He was protesting that H's first 5 on 3 goal was kicked in.

Here's the link to the ILDN highlights. The event starts around 26 sec. As much as I don't like Pecknold, when I watch it in slo-mo, I have to say I agree with him.

Anyone at the game, watched it on ILDN, or heard anything from the CT press?

I can't remember an instance when I saw a coach kicked out for that, but it's probably just my bad memory.

Date: January 07, 2017 09:52AM

I've decided not to go tonight, so someone please bring papers and feel free to bring Snickers. :) :-)

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 07, 2017 11:40AM

marty

On CBS sports as I post.

By Tigers, you mean CC, not Princeton. Had to go check, based on the thread topics.

Page:  1 234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login